Federal Government / Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle death proposal.- Mtbr.com
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

No good Federal Government / Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle death proposal.

The Bald Eagle was removed off the endangered species list just 10 years ago. They almost went extinct in the 1970's from the use of the pesticide DDT. Since they were put on the endangered list they made a good come back. Now our screwed up government wants to kill large numbers of Bald and Golden Eagles because of issues with them flying into energy producing wind turbines. Seriously? This is really screwed up if this passes. Mass killing of our national symbol.

Feds propose changes to allow more bald eagle deaths | 9news.com
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-03-2016 at 05:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    The bald eagle was routinely shot by farmers and hunters. They are also a nuisance to many forms of wildlife.
    DDT killing them off was never proven, thou widespread belief that it was the culprit and a fact still exists.
    Don't get me wrong, i love the bird, all wildlife, and to see them come back from the brink of extinction makes me proud to be human. But their numbers have grown out of control in some areas.
    Round and round we go

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    The reason they want to kill more is not because their numbers are out of control [which they are not] at least in these areas where they want to kill them. The areas are where these wind turbine farms are. The wide open west plains like Wyoming and eastern Colorado is where these wind turbine farms are located. These birds are not out of control in these areas. It's just that when they do fly through a turbine it effects how fast they can produce energy. It's all about the mighty dollar and being politically correct in producing cleaner fossil free energy. The government could give a rats ass about the longevity of a species. It's up to us as the intelligent species to figure out a way to deal with this without killing off another species. In the natural world nature finds a way to balance out, but if we add in something unnatural there's going to be conflict. Who are we to say, oh there's too many of these birds in an area where we need to produce energy. So it's up to us to kill off more birds. The human race never ceases to amaze me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    i hear ya. What never ceases to amaze me is the state of media, and to your point how the masses eat it up and follow it like sheeple. Grabbing tid bits of info and timing it to make a story. It's never just news anymore, it's BREAKING NEWS. Our gov wants to kill our sacred national symbol the bald eagle because of what? and this news comes out on july 4th weekend?
    Gimme a break. The real story should be how we can and should get off our dependence of fossil fuels. Or we could continue to pretend that we're involved in the middle east conflicts for some other reasons, and keep coming up with excuses of why we have to be dependent
    Round and round we go

A waste of time it is is

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Yeah just 1 1/2 hours and 150 shots later. Don't those bullets have to land somewhere?

Just glad he did hit the bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

A waste of time it is is
    Hey, I didn't say he was smart.

NDD
    mtbr member
    That seems so ill-thought out. Even if the populations can handle the additional loss of numbers, there are another of factors that play into if it's "worth it" or not. Namely, how much "free" energy do we actually have to gain from this measure. If not a substantial amount, then it is easily not worth it.

I just hope that this doesn't actually pan out.
    dang

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    That seems so ill-thought out. Even if the populations can handle the additional loss of numbers, there are another of factors that play into if it's "worth it" or not. Namely, how much "free" energy do we actually have to gain from this measure. If not a substantial amount, then it is easily not worth it.

I just hope that this doesn't actually pan out.
    Well, they could hire the ex army sharp shooter from the article above, then those birds would be fine

The opening line of the article....
    KUSA - "As the nation prepares to celebrate America's birthday, conservationists are in a fight to protect America's symbol, the bald eagle". Not to much drama, lol. I find it hard to believe that the birds flying will cause any measurable loss of energy, and the article does not mention it, althou i didn't watch the vid. The article states the main reason is the birds fly into the blades and die. I can't see that being much of a problem neither. The blades are huge and slow moving. If they are a threat then so are cars, plains, trees, waterfalls, and should all be removed as well.
    To me, both articles posted show it's a case of the media saying independence day is coming, what stories can we make interesting. Wouldn't it be nice if media celebrated our independence day by promoting, idk, independence. Energy independence would be one of the best things we could do for our country. Wouldn't it be nice, and wouldn't we be making alot less enemies, if the resources, time, and lives we invested into training and deploying our young people to fight, kill, and control things on foreign land were instead used to make our own country better, safer and more independent
    Round and round we go

Rabid Lana Fan
    If the goal is to kill off a bunch of Eagles, how about building thousands more wind farms?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

beater
    Turbine blades are huge, so while they might rotate slowly at the hub, they are ripping along at the outer tip. It's not generally physical impact that kills birds and bats, but the negative pressure right behind the blade. It is an issue, and it's recognized as such. That said, I agree that the article is over the top. And it's not accurate to say that the government WANTS to kill eagles - rather that the tolerance for mortality is being judged against the desirability of wind energy.

mtbr member
    we can pave highways, build homes and cities, manipulate lands, coastlines, pollute, drill, blow up and deforest wherever, but somehow windmills are a problem
    Round and round we go

Rabid Lana Fan
    I'm guess I'm not really following what's happening here.

The idea is that we won't build more wind farms, because they can kill Eagles? So, we need to kill off a bunch of Eagles, so that when we do build wind farms, they won't kill Eagles?

Is this the gist of it?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I luv eagles, they taste like chicken.