FCC trying to ruin the internet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

FCC trying to ruin the internet

mtbr member
    What is this internet you speak of?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Fart smeller
    Twitter's the one they should shut down.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    ^^^^ agreed. I have never done Twitter and I briefly had a FB account. it was just to try to win something. didn't win no more FB.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Cycologist
    The US already has the slowest, most expensive internet of first world countries to my understanding. Our government leaders will sell it out to big business so they can profit more. Years from now when school kids worldwide learn about the collapse of the US, one word will sum it up: greed.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    As with anything, follow the money and you'll find the motivation.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    The US already has the slowest, most expensive internet of first world countries to my understanding...
    Most people do not believe me when I tell them this little tidbit. They are convinced we have the best internet on the planet. LoL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    As with anything, follow the money and you'll find the motivation.
    We do not even need to follow the money in this case. Comcast et al have been trying to get revenue from this for years while screwing over consumers. Netflix and other online providers will have to pay big bucks or their services will be unusable. Hopefully Amazon joins the fight, it certainly has enough cash to fight Comcast and the rest of them.

mtbr member
    Just had our last layer of protection/privacy done sold out via executive order
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    You guys (the US) are so fvcked, that orange clown is going to ruin everything, all for the almighty $$, that's all "they" care about, don't give a crap about whatever happens once they make their billions, not people, not the environment, nada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    We do not even need to follow the money in this case. Comcast et al have been trying to get revenue from this for years while screwing over consumers. Netflix and other online providers will have to pay big bucks or their services will be unusable. Hopefully Amazon joins the fight, it certainly has enough cash to fight Comcast and the rest of them.
    You're right, they're very open about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You guys (the US) are so fvcked, that orange clown is going to ruin everything, all for the almighty $$, that's all "they" care about, don't give a crap about whatever happens once they make their billions, not people, not the environment, nada.
    You make some good points. In terms of this topic, it's no where near just the US

There's already tech that uses your cell phone browser history, and your gps, without you knowing or your permission. that will text or call you with an add when are close to any given biz. Will likely be happening in other countries before the US, if it's not already. Last I heard It's a done deal in Brazil. It's troubling, and in some ways seems inevitable. More like a matter of who's going to sell out quicker.
    Last edited by theMeat; 05-20-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    Round and round we go

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Just had our last layer of protection/privacy done sold out via executive order
    Huh? Link, please.

Heather Heyer

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Huh? Link, please.
    Here's one: Trump signs internet privacy repeal | TheHill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Huh? Link, please.
    Here's some more
    https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...&client=safari

It's not coincidental that the one agent orange picked to head up the fcc needed no approval, none, and happened lickidee split. Like within first few days. At the fcc, and the state department, and who knows where else, a fox was appointed to watch the hen house, and there's confusion among the hens.
    That, coupled with an unprecedented signing of executive orders, what they're designed to do, or who they are to please, and the plans should be crystal
    Last edited by theMeat; 05-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Round and round we go

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    This thread had me laughing so hard I almost choked.

Politics aside, you all act like these laws and regulations have been around since the internet began. All of this was done in the last 2 years.

Guess what, internet worked fine then. Our privacy is no more secure now than it was then.

Guys seriously, reality check. This junk isn't worth stressing over. Especially when it truly has no noticeable effect on any of us. No more than all of us getting screwed by the government as always.

Why waste your energy (besides not being able to ride due to mother nature being a bi-polar biatch) on this. Want a "cause to fight for", pick a side on the wilderness debate

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post

Politics aside, you all act like these laws and regulations have been around since the internet began. All of this was done in the last 2 years.

Guess what, internet worked fine then. Our privacy is no more secure now than it was then.

Guys seriously, reality check. This junk isn't worth stressing over. Especially when it truly has no noticeable effect on any of us. No more than all of us getting screwed by the government as always.

Why waste your energy (besides not being able to ride due to mother nature being a bi-polar biatch) on this. Want a "cause to fight for", pick a side on the wilderness debate

Truth ^^

nvphatty
    and to ponder the fact it worsens each and every tweet or time he opens his piehole.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Well, at least we're all agreedů Picard sucks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    and to ponder the fact it worsens each and every tweet or time he opens his piehole.
    Yup. He's got the intellect of a 7-year-old, they say.

Just like the folks who voted for him.

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Well, at least we're all agreedů Picard sucks.
    Woah. Picard = Trump?!?

Mind. Blown.

Heather Heyer

Cycologist

lol, you thought that was real? That Americans are that dumb?

It's a reality show Fox created to sell to the overseas market, we actually have a young, intelligent African-American woman as our president now. The Trump Show has been declared the highest rated international show ever.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    lol, you thought that was real? That Americans are that dumb?

It's a reality show Fox created to sell to the overseas market, we actually have a young, intelligent African-American woman as our president now. The Trump Show has been declared the highest rated international show ever.
    There's some truth to this..
    Fox is remodeling to invite a huge profit from a European buy out. It's in the works. Putin should get in on this action.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

They want to make the Internet like cable TV, where the service provider decides what you can see. They have lost their power as gatekeepers and they want it back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    They want to make the Internet like cable TV, where the service provider decides what you can see. They have lost their power as gatekeepers and they want it back.
    We, the US, have had decided what we can see or not see for some time already. Now with Some help from Putin. This is different. This is gathering and selling your information for profit, globally
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    Most people do not believe me when I tell them this little tidbit. They are convinced we have the best internet on the planet. LoL
    Yes, and it not even close. Internet speeds in Japan and Korea are a thing to behold.

mtbr member

Wait, what rules and regulations are you talking about? Net neutrality?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    If only we had true net neutrality... It's better than many countries but we are policed and filtered heavily.

The funny part is many here are acting like we were censored like China before these laws came out 2 years ago.... I mean seriously. There is nothing changing that anyone here will even notice because no one noticed any difference when that was put into effect.

This subject may actually bother some, but truly what that law regulated is already done via your website browser anyway.

"
    Have the courage to accept the things that we cannot change,

Have the strength to change the things that we can,

And have the wisdom to know the difference

"

mtbr member

This subject may actually bother some, but truly what that law regulated is already done via your website browser anyway.
    Hardly. You can protect your computer and browser, if you'd like. With the new executive order, Internet service providers use your info for profit. Then the only choice you have is do you go on the Internet, or not go on the Internet. Basically if you want to protect your privacy you can't.
    Yes that aspect alone will not immediately effect the Internet experience, but it's still happening, without consent.
    That's the private/for profit angle. The gov angle is to herd/direct your Internet experience. Both suffering big time in the last 4 months
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Message Deleted.
    Last edited by Coal-Cracker; 05-23-2017 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Message Deleted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Hardly. You can protect your computer and browser, if you'd like. With the new executive order, Internet service providers use your info for profit. Then the only choice you have is do you go on the Internet, or not go on the Internet. Basically if you want to protect your privacy you can't.
    Yes that aspect alone will not immediately effect the Internet experience, but it's still happening, without consent.
    That's the private/for profit angle. The gov angle is to herd/direct your Internet experience. Both suffering big time in the last 4 months
    You can use a VPN or anonymizer today to shield your activity from your ISP. They will only see or connection to the VPN which could be in a country with strong privacy protections.

The loss of network neutrality would allow the ISP to block VPN connections (or anything else). We would then be "herded" to the sites of the ISP's subsidiaries and "marketing partners".

Our only defense against that would be to set up mesh networks that bypass the ISPs.

mtbr member
    There is nothing changing that anyone here will even notice because no one noticed any difference when that was put into effect.

People did notice, that is why the laws were put into effect. Netflix noticed when ATT throttled their content while attempting to promote Uverse as a better more reliable streaming service. Verizon noticed when ATT limited some smaller ISPs from going through ATT peer routers to access the bulk of the internet infrastructure (which ATT does not own). The laws are not about privacy, they are about access. They say the internet should be like utilities, accessible to anyone.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Well no one on this forum owns a billion dollar streaming company.

So ATT and Netflix (probably guessing other companies too) butted heads over that kind of stuff.

Nothing that anyone here was majorly effected by. No property damaged, no lives lost or disrupted in any way that matters (sorry but streaming movies and shows doesn't count, people already watch way too much TV)

mtbr member
    Well no one on this forum owns a billion dollar streaming company.

So ATT and Netflix (probably guessing other companies too) butted heads over that kind of stuff.

Nothing that anyone here was majorly effected by. No property damaged, no lives lost or disrupted in any way that matters (sorry but streaming movies and shows doesn't count, people already watch way too much TV)

Everyone that uses netflix was affected whether they noticed or not, and had it been allowed to continue everyone in an ATT ISP area would have noticed when to get the shows they want they could no longer pay a little over $50 month for Netflix and ATT internet and instead had to pay $100 a month for Uverse TV.
    And everyone on small ISPs trying to get to various websites not directly connected to ATT noticed. It was end users not big businesses that reported the issues originally.

Just here for the scenery
    If the FCC kills Net Neutrality, this is where we're going.

FCC trying to ruin the internet-net-neutrality.jpg
    Wisdom of LeMond, graybeard edition: "It doesn't get easier... you just go slower"

If You Can't Fix It, You Don't Own It

mtbr member
    Agent orange appointed Ajit Pai to head the fcc. Surprise. Who has since been quoted saying net neutrality days are limited. Who also worked as an attorney for Verizon while...Verizon tried to sue the fcc for enforcing net neutrality. The courts ruled that under its current title one verizon was right, and the only way the fcc could protect net neutrality was to make it fall under title two. Which the fcc then did to comply. Now Pai is playing dumb to the whole situation, and preaching it won't matter what title it falls under, and we should let ISPs regulate themselves. He speaks of the dangers of how these regulations are preventing growth in the market, and halting infrastructure expansion, despite much proof to the contrary, including what isp shareholders are being told, and the fact that they are legally bound to tell the truth to shareholders. All this while the wide majority of people support net neutrality. It's pure poppycock. This guy is a puppet and selling us out.

The last time, when Verizon tried to cash in on this, it was stopped by the overwhelming support by us, the people. This time they made it much harder to show support. But here's a link that makes it easy. Considering all the time that we waste on the Internet, Do us all a favor and write a few word on this link. Go to link, hit express, then leave comments please

http://https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/proceedings?q=name(17-108))
    Round and round we go