Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Dirt Huffer

Fat people. Everywhere.

They're everywhere. I feel like im the last "normal" weight guy when I walk into a store. It's terrible in Minnesota. And we're supposed to be one of the more active states.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just had this conversation about the old school rap group "The Fat Boys".

Watching their videos in 2012, I realized, by today's standard... they're not that fat!

mtbr member
    time to get back to eat sun energy

Miami, FL
    I was out there earlier doing my part.

But I'll keep going out there in order to no longer do my part. Let someone else represent the fatbodies.
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    They're everywhere. I feel like im the last "normal" weight guy when I walk into a store. It's terrible in Minnesota. And we're supposed to be one of the more active states.
    Gee your brave.

Most do seem to be getting bigger.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Most do seem to be getting bigger.
    Particularly the two I sit in between on a plane.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    Particularly the two I sit in between on a plane.
    Oh yes & don't you just hate it when you get charged heaps when your bag is 7Ib over weight & then sit next to someone 60Ib over weight & know they didn't have to pay extra for the seat.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I'm active and I'm still border line obese at 30% BF and 218 lbs. Really the processed food is killing us---and most of the "food" at the grocery store is as bad as the eating out stuff.

Combination of eating poorly and having sedate job.

The couple strenuous mtb rides on the weekends don't quite do it. And I can't seem to motivate myself to spin for a couple hours and go to the gym daily like the old days in Iraq.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    I'm active and I'm still border line obese at 30% BF and 218 lbs. Really the processed food is killing us---and most of the "food" at the grocery store is as bad as the eating out stuff.

Combination of eating poorly and having sedate job.

The couple strenuous mtb rides on the weekends don't quite do it. And I can't seem to motivate myself to spin for a couple hours and go to the gym daily like the old days in Iraq.
    Without question, Some people find it very hard to drop weight.

My wife trained for & finished Ironman 4.3 km swim, 180 km bike ride & 42 km run & got upto 30 hours training some weeks & only dropped 4 kg & she would have been 25 kg over weight when she started.

That said body shape change a little bit.

So yes they type of foods people eat don't help.

since 4/10/2009
    soda did it to me a number of years ago. I rather quickly put on an extra 20lbs from having a daily soda at work. I have changed that...I stopped drinking soda. I have also reduced my meat consumption drastically - I'm down to maybe 1lb of meat per week, and mostly because there's a bunch in my freezer that my wife's not eating at all.

It's been difficult to get that 20lbs off of me. And to be fair, I'd be happy to just drop 10lbs because I used to be damn skinny.

During my cancer recovery, I ballooned to 190lb because my mother-in-law was cooking too much heavy food for me. I have managed to take off 20lbs from there so that I'm now at my pre-cancer weight so I'm at least glad about that.

I'm a fairly small guy, so 190 is big for me.

Once you get up there, it's hard to go backwards since our bodies are designed to hold onto that weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    what bothers me is seeing obese people on a street corner with a sign asking for handouts. i'd love to drop them off in calcutta so they could see what truly having nothing really is.

Custom Bike Builder
    Yeah, seeing thin people beg makes you feel much better. Douch.
    Gets chain-ring tattoos on both legs!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    seeing someone thin who is begging doesn't make me "feel much better" - it is more of a case that we are in a country of excesses which is exemplified when people who are fat are asking for help. i compare this to those who are truly starving and think there is something wrong in this. doesn't make me a ******, thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe we need to stop supersizing everything from drinks to shirts to furniture; all this does is make it easier for people to become obese. Us normal sizes folks will be buying kids clothing soon!

since 4/10/2009
    the Western diet is insidious. most people don't have a clue how malnourished they are. and the food "industry" has it in their best interests currently to deceive consumers about that.

Chubby Chaser
    Losing weight is not rocket science, but it seems like people find every excuse as to why they couldn't lose weight. Blaming it on genetics, their hectic schedule, blah blah blah.

Lets just say you're maintenance is 2500 calories per day, I can bet you if you ate below 2000 calories everyday for the next 6 months you will lose weight; even without exercise. The problem is that people eat too fast, and eat too much.

Every fat person I've eaten with literally inhales their food, and eats 2-3x's as much as I do per sitting. IMO just because McDonald's offer a supersized meal doesn't mean you have to order it. My favorite combo there is a McChicken sandwich, small fries, and a sweet tea... healthy? F no, but it's a modest portion. That's how I manage to keep my beautiful figure.

Ride More, Work Less
    Yes, weight is out of control. Crap food has taken over. I eat healthy foods largely because I can't digest over processed foods. I am active, but this aging process sucks. In my 20s, it was easy. In my late 30s, it is not as easy. Slowing eating food helps. Walking immediately after meals also helps. A day filled with small movements works.

Some basic truths:
    "Diets" are for fat people; active lifestyles are for thin people. Want to be thin? Be active. You can't be active if you aren't eating good food.
    You can't cut calories alone to succeed.
    The USDA food pyramid is essentially the same composition of food that is used to fatten cattle.
    It is simple math: take in more calories than you use you gain weight

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    a big "amen" to the comment on diets. diets. do. not. work. i have never found someone who has gone on a diet and kept the weight off - i don't care what diet it was. in fact, usually the more severe the restriction, the more the person gains more weight when they go off it!

making permanent lifestyle changes is what works, and yes, being active is essential. not only can you not be active if you're not eating good food but you also tend to eat better when you are active as your body just doesn't feel like digesting crud.

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Yes, weight is out of control. Crap food has taken over. I eat healthy foods largely because I can't digest over processed foods. I am active, but this aging process sucks. In my 20s, it was easy. In my late 30s, it is not as easy. Slowing eating food helps. Walking immediately after meals also helps. A day filled with small movements works.

Some basic truths:
    "Diets" are for fat people; active lifestyles are for thin people. Want to be thin? Be active. You can't be active if you aren't eating good food.
    The USDA food pyramid is essentially the same composition of food that is used to fatten cattle.
    I'll have to disagree with you on that. If a person simply wants to lose weight/mass, it is really as simple as cutting calories. Now.... if a person wants to lose bodyfat and retain muscle, that's a different story.

Of course cutting out junk food, eating healthy, and living an active lifestyle is ideal because it will promote weight loss AND good health. Unfortunately for people who are fat/obese, it means a drastic change in their lifestyle. I would say that very very few people can change from one extreme to another.

The problem is that when fat people try to lose weight, these fad diets and people who have never been fat in their lives are telling them to turn their eating/exercise habits 180 degrees. That's the reason why they can never stick to it.

see me rollin, they hatin
    cutting calories alone DOES work...not the best way to do it, but it does. i went thru a huge depression for months and dropped 30 pounds...by having no appetite. of course, thats not a "lifestyle". but from then on, i decided to limit my calories and was able to keep the weight mostly off without starving. When i started biking more, i was able to eat more because i was exercising more. A balance is good.

however, there was a time i was on a medication, and i gained uncontrollable weight. It didnt matter when i joined the gym, or watched my food intake, i was just gaining and gaining. Getting off medication made dropping the weight so much easier.

there's not much of an excuse to be HUGE, but carrying a little extra weight isnt always laziness and slobbiness. (like my medication experience).

Hermit
    I was watching an OLD Gallagher video tape (don't hate on me for liking Gallagher) the other day. They kept on cutting to shots of the audience, and I noticed that there were only like two BIG people out there. Try comparing that to the audience in the White Collar Comedy Tour shows and you'll be astounded. Or sit in the hospital lobby and watch how many of the people going in and out for treatment are 200 pounds overweight.

One more for the "diets don't work" crew. "Diet" implies temporary. Permanent change in habits is what works.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I live in the south and it's really bad down here. Everywhere you go you see very heavy people barely able to walk, you just know their leg and hip joints are screaming at them to put down the big gulp. Most of it has to do with lower income and their affordable high carb, processed food diets.

I am fortunately tall and skinny, I eat what I like and can add a few pounds without showing it. That said I have worn the same pant size for 30 years.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

All fat, all the time.
    Come hang out in Indiana some time if you want to see overweight....it's sickening.

Every time I see lines backed up at mc-ee-dee's or some other fast food joint, I shake my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I live in California and we have obese people too ... the warehouse stores are full of them hobbling around pushing giant carts loaded with snacks and ground beef. But, I have noticed other states, especially the south have a lot more huge people. I guess they need more bike trails.

Sweep the leg!
    you should cross the border to Wisco. I think we have you beat by a few pounds. Cheese, Brats and Beer... it's a way of life for some.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Ride More, Work Less
    Take a look of the CDC data over time. "everywhere" in the thread title is very appropriate.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

Regarding my "diet" comment above, you can reduce weight by caloric restriction. Most dieters don't understand calories or where they come from. For example, many consider salad diet food. A salad topped with cheese, bacon bits, croutons, ranch dressing isn't low calorie. On one hand it is good people eat real food in a salad, but the calories of many salads can be higher than burgers and fries.

Dieting to loose weight is like saving money to be wealthy. It sort of works but earning more and saving more is more effective. In that sense, diet plus exercise works--the biggest loser isn't "photoshopped". People want a "pill" or something passive. Dieting sounds active, but for it to actually work, one must actually make a lifestyle change.

It has been found time and time again that changing a person's diet is hard to do, but activity can be added to an existing diet. Educating people on the choices they make (meal a deal, weight watchers) also works.

Problem is we are about on a major public health fallout. Something needs to be changed.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I run into a lot of women who complain to me about their weight and tell me how they wish they could be my size and they hate me for how "skinny" I am.. All the while they are eating a super sized overly greasy meal.

On the other hand, there are fat people who are trying. I had a good friend who after trying intense exercise to lose weight with no success, she gave weight watchers a try.. Simply changing her diet led to a 2-4lbs loss a week. In a year she dropped 7 dress sizes.

Exercise does play a part in weight but in the end it all comes down to diet.

ya know, i CAN occasionally eat fast food...and i'm not obese. thats because you can choose SMALL portions, chicken, etc. For instance, i'll throw down a dollar menu little sandwhich, a value fries and drink. I counted it out to 600 calories. YOu dont have to get the gut buster XL meals just because its a good deal. Also, when you're hungry, you always assume you need more than you do. My little value size meal takes away the hunger, but doesnt bust my belt, ya know?

and we cant blame all fast food. A resturant i used to frequent had a entree that i would eat almost every time. UNTIL, i went online and found out the SANDWHICH ALONE WAS 1400 CALORIES! thats more than mcdonalds! So you have to research! you'd be surprised.

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by EverythingBeautiful View Post
    I run into a lot of women who complain to me about their weight and tell me how they wish they could be my size and they hate me for how "skinny" I am.. All the while they are eating a super sized overly greasy meal.

On the other hand, there are fat people who are trying. I had a good friend who after trying intense exercise to lose weight with no success, she gave weight watchers a try.. Simply changing her diet led to a 2-4lbs loss a week. In a year she dropped 7 dress sizes.

Exercise does play a part in weight but in the end it all comes down to diet.
    Exercise helps if you're actually working out. Most out of shape people I see at the gym sit on the machines, use weights so low they could easily do 30 reps if they wanted to. They sit there for 5 minutes, and then do another few reps with like 5lbs.

I think to myself.... "Why bother??" They just wasted their time driving to the gym, doing their so called "workout", and then getting a supersized big mac meal on the way home. Then they whine and complain that they workout everryyyyyydayyyy and still aren't losing any weight.

The type of workout that shreds fat and weight are crossfit/plyometrics/calisthenics... the problem is that fat people don't have the fitness to do those type of high intensity workouts.

I've never been fat in my life, but I have gone on "cuts" to cut bodyfat. I have gone through a phase where I ate chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice for a few months but I almost went crazy. I like to eat good tasting food, and the problem with good tasting food is that they're usually unhealthy.

So I'm a firm believer in eating whatever you want, but just do it in moderation. As I mentioned if you ate what you normally eat but just cut the portion size down to where your caloric intake is below your maintenance, you WILL see results without having to suffer too much. With less food, in time the stomach shrinks so you won't need as much food to feel satiated.

The problem with people trying to lose weight is that they do a very drastic lifestyle change that they're not use to. Making lifestyle changes can be done with small changes IMO.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Protein + fiber + natural fats => passion enablers
    Carbs (especially sugars) + processed fats => health killers

I cannot cheat my body. I have to both watch the quality of my diet and be active not to become a big ball of lard. Genes at work... (this is not an excuse, I work my ass off to be in a reasonable shape)

Btw. I found the book "The 4-hour body" quite interesting and many things in there worked for me, too.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well i did a short trail ride; off to Chipotles I guess for a fat burrito...lol

Is not amused
    well i did a short trail ride; off to Chipotles I guess for a fat burrito...lol
    Name:  5-facebook-like-button.jpeg
Views: 721
Size:  8.6 KB
    Just ate a burrito myself, actually two.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love a good burrito.

Best, John

banned
    Was behind a fat driver today, that was so fat the steering wheel was stuck against their belly and they barely could make a left turn. As I was watching the look on their face was 100% effort to turn the wheel. I thought holy crap, I wonder if they know they even have a problem?

I'm weird. I like good tasting food but for some reason I am not concerned with taste too much when I make food at the house. I just try to get the most nutrition into my meal as possible, taste be damned. I will sometimes just eat a bowl of quinoa with salt, pepper, garlic salt and powder( I like garlic but the sodium is too much so I use a little of that and boost the garlic flavor with powder--real deal if I have it on hand), some cherry tomatoes cubed and hot sauce. Maybe onion if I have it, if not, this is it. Sometimes just bland quinoa for dinner and bland oatmeal for breakfast( I refuse to add sugar or enough syrup to make it taste better, so bland it is). Going out to eat? totally different story. Luckily though, I have a monster metabolism and probably eat 4-5,000cal a day without gaining weight; helps I'm mostly active as ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm a few pounds overweight right now mostly from heavy winter beers and not enough winter exercise, maybe 10 pounds or so but I'll drop it as the riding season progresses. Anyways I can't stand it, pants feel a bit too tight. I can not imagine what it must feel like to be a huge lard ass. It must be SO uncomfortable. For that reason alone you think they could control themselves. Although they usually wear sweatpants don't they.

I love when you see one struggling to get out of their car in a handicap space, when it appears to be obvious that their "handicap" is their self-induced obesity.

Man I sound mean ..

Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I'm weird. I like good tasting food but for some reason I am not concerned with taste too much when I make food at the house. I just try to get the most nutrition into my meal as possible, taste be damned. I will sometimes just eat a bowl of quinoa with salt, pepper, garlic salt and powder( I like garlic but the sodium is too much so I use a little of that and boost the garlic flavor with powder--real deal if I have it on hand), some cherry tomatoes cubed and hot sauce. Maybe onion if I have it, if not, this is it. Sometimes just bland quinoa for dinner and bland oatmeal for breakfast( I refuse to add sugar or enough syrup to make it taste better, so bland it is). Going out to eat? totally different story. Luckily though, I have a monster metabolism and probably eat 4-5,000cal a day without gaining weight; helps I'm mostly active as ****.
    you are totes my bff because you eat quinoa! i'm a quinoa whooooore!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been somewhat lean and athletic for my whole life (28 years) and I find it irritating that so many people approaching or past my age like to say things like "you're so lucky to be thin" or "i wish i could just eat whatever I want".
    I just think to myself, Apparently you do!
    I play more sports than i can keep track of and read labels to make sure i'm not eating something that's stupidly loaded with fat, salt, or chemicals. I eat whatever I want when I eat out, but I don't really eat candy or junk food at all. I won't eat at chain restaurants, including the sit down type. I graze on random food most of the time and avoid huge portions at once.
    I'm no health nut, but it seems that so many people just have no concept of what an active lifestyle really is, or what kind of shape their bodies could be in if they changed their lifestyle rather than just their diet.
    I guess it all boils down to priorities?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You just gotta burn more than you eat. My best buddy from childhood used to be skinnier than me. Now he's obese and I'm the same size as I was in high school(graduated in 2003)

It's terrible how many people I knew from school are fat as hell now. I see a girl that used to be hot and now she weighs 250 pounds.

I eat like a pig sometimes. After a wicked long bike or run.

I'm the most active person I know, and I can eat more than anyone I know. I can put down 7-8 plates at the chinese buffet here, 3-4 more than most of my friends.

I did a statistical analysis of obesity rates and their correlation with various diseases and afflictions on a state by state basis and found those states with higher obesity rates had a much lower life expectancy and higher occurrences of a number of diseases than states with lower obesity rates.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    but, beer....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BnAZ View Post
    but, beer....
    agreed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yea I love beer also. Its good
    with a burrito.

Best, John

High Desert MTBer
    Mr Kuhl obviously works for the "Burrito Foundation"!
    My view is that a lot of what has been said is of course true: A good diet plus exercise will usually do the trick. I have never been particularly fat, and have always stayed pretty active, but at 55 years old, sporting around 190lbs and 6' tall, I was a little pudgy. I was riding/exercising regularly, but it was only when I changed my feeding habits to a lot of raw food, plants, grains, ( I love Quinoa too, and Farro is awesome) no dairy, that I found I lost another 20 lbs quickly, and have kept it off easily. I am much healthier and happier as a result. It does take some thought to change diet like this, and it can be more expensive, but it is totally worth the effort and expense.
    Most people are overweight thru sheer laziness and/or ignorance. That is mostly why they fall prey to the profit-driven business interests that feed on that. If the demand was not there for convenience foods, the food companies would not service it. There are exceptions of course, but not that many. When I see kids who are hugely obese, and this is a very common occurrence, I often feel sorry for them, and tend to blame the parents who are usually obese too. If you will pardon the pun, this is a huge problem in this and many other countries, and rather than tackle the issues when it is too late, we need to take care of this thru education, and maybe stronger measures at the onset of these problems developing. That is a whole different story/thread however...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Was behind a fat driver today, that was so fat the steering wheel was stuck against their belly and they barely could make a left turn. As I was watching the look on their face was 100% effort to turn the wheel. I thought holy crap, I wonder if they know they even have a problem?
    The face wasn't for the effort, it was from the steering wheel tearing through the raw spot on their huge gut from many previous turns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    The face wasn't for the effort, it was from the steering wheel tearing through the raw spot on their huge gut from many previous turns.
    This huge person should just give up trying to drive a car and hire a flatbed truck haul them around.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    If you think back to "the fat kid" in elementary school, and then go into a school nowadays, esp in a poor neighborhood, you will find that the kid who was HUGE back then is about average now. It is amazing.

And I can't seem to motivate myself to spin for a couple hours and go to the gym daily like the old days in Iraq.
    Eat less! We want you around for a long time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
    Every fat person I've eaten with literally inhales their food, and eats 2-3x's as much as I do per sitting.
    We have a dear friend who is morbidly obese. I am famous for eating huge amounts of food, but she easily outdoes me. She just plain puts toooooo much in.

Some basic truths:
    It seems to me that 20 years ago, if someone lost weight and you asked, "wow, how did you do it?" they would say "i started exercising." nowadays, when i ask someone about losing weight, they basically say "i finally stopped putting all that garbage into my body." Intake has become such a bigger issue these days, I think.

Exercise helps if you're actually working out. Most out of shape people I see at the gym sit on the machines, use weights so low they could easily do 30 reps if they wanted to. They sit there for 5 minutes, and then do another few reps with like 5lbs.
    Yeah, to burn enough calories to make a difference, you need to work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I'm weird. I like good tasting food but for some reason I am not concerned with taste too much when I make food at the house.
    same here. if i have to make dinner just for myself, a great dinner is a boiled chicken breast and a couple of cups of minute rice. if i'm feeling lazy, i substitute a can of sardines for the chicken.

since 4/10/2009
    boiled meat? wtf? you can totally give that chicken a little flavor in a HEALTHY way!

bake it with a little salt & pepper and fresh herbs like oregano and rosemary with a drizzle of olive oil to keep it from scorching.

I've got a massive herb garden right out my back door where I grow lemongrass, oregano, tarragon (soo good with tomatoes), rosemary, 2 types of basil, cilantro/coriander, and parsley. it's been more valuable to me than the vegetable garden. I grow so much extra that I supply my friends AND have enough to dry so I am supplied over the winter.

last year, I grew peppers and smoked a ton of them. so good.

herbs are your friends, and they're not unhealthy flavor at all!

and skip the minute rice. that stuff qualifies just as much as soda for the term "empty calories". use brown rice, wild rice, quinoa (I enjoy it, also), whole wheat pasta, something that actually has some nutrients to go with the calories.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    boiled meat? wtf?
    quickest way from the freezer to my belly. i'm sure yours tastes better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    quickest way from the freezer to my belly. i'm sure yours tastes better!
    You must be in the UK, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    They're everywhere. I feel like im the last "normal" weight guy when I walk into a store.
    I travel a lot in my job if you want to see FAT people go to the airport!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    You must be in the UK, right?
    No, I only boil mine for 15 minutes. If I were in the UK, I would boil it until it turned to mush, and then throw day old bread into the pot, and then bake it for an hour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Oh yes & don't you just hate it when you get charged heaps when your bag is 7Ib over weight & then sit next to someone 60Ib over weight & know they didn't have to pay extra for the seat.
    I have never thought about it that way. Thank you for pissing me off for the night. lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Several posters have referenced that during their childhood, fat people were much smaller and rather limited in numbers. This got me thinking, is our politically correct culture in part to blame for the rise huge people? I grew up in the 70s and 80s and even slightly overweight people were often looked down upon. Now of course we would be wrong to discriminate; but does this have any effect?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Several posters have referenced that during their childhood, fat people were much smaller and rather limited in numbers. This got me thinking, is our politically correct culture in part to blame for the rise huge people? I grew up in the 70s and 80s and even slightly overweight people were often looked down upon. Now of course we would be wrong to discriminate; but does this have any effect?
    i totally agree. this falls right in line with no child left behind act lowering standards so everyone passes, the removal of presidential physical fitness programs from elementary school so fatties don't feel excluded, and even foreign car companies having to install fatter flatter seats in vehicles before importing them to america, insanely low speed limits so retards don't crash, etc.
    Let's lower standards to that of our most feeble so that they continue happily consuming.

For fatty watching I like walmart and the mall. And if you drive through some of the outdoor malls that they've been building it's like a fatty safari, just don't toss any food their way, once they know you have food for them they come right up to the car and can cause a lot of damage with their weight and uncanny strength.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is a great talk by Gabor Mate, an anti-establishment physician and expert on addiction on this podcast starting at circa 20 minutes. Unlike mainstream medicine, he says our society makes almost everyone sick, that sickness is a byproduct of capitalism. And this sickness makes people seek to live out patterns of compensation by seeking out addictions instead of the authentic life they want, because that option was taken from them. There is another good talk here by Marc David about aspects of eating you don't hear about in conventional discourse, how it relates to mood, how your pleasure and perception effects your digestion, etc. For example, if you don't take the time to taste the food you eat or be fully there to experience the eating process, your body is less prepared and capable to digest it and feel full, since there is a "brain" in the gut called the enteric nervous system, which regulates digestion.

No one wakes up and says, "I want to be fat". But you go outside and you see loads of fat people here in NJ and all across every hyper competitive capitalist, consumer capitalist society. What happened to them? They cannot find life satisfaction via work, because almost all jobs suck. They cannot find contentment via family life, because most families don't communicate and are totally dysfunctional. So what can they do? They can seek pleasure and contentment only via forms of addiction. They can try for the pleasure and satisfaction which they cannot receive elsewhere, via their mouths, from the food they can gorge on.

Being overweight is an emotional problem, not a problem of failing to measure calories. Everyone knows overweight people, tons of them, who lose weight, gain it back, lose it, gain, etc. Why? Because it is emotional and no one tells them that, so they never deal with it. And the first stress or emotional trauma they experience has them back to gorging themselves and they gain everything back again.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    There is a great talk by Gabor Mate, an anti-establishment physician and expert on addiction on this podcast starting at circa 20 minutes. Unlike mainstream medicine, he says our society makes almost everyone sick, that sickness is a byproduct of capitalism. And this sickness makes people seek to live out patterns of compensation by seeking out addictions instead of the authentic life they want, because that option was taken from them. There is another good talk here by Marc David about aspects of eating you don't hear about in conventional discourse, how it relates to mood, how your pleasure and perception effects your digestion, etc. For example, if you don't take the time to taste the food you eat or be fully there to experience the eating process, your body is less prepared and capable to digest it and feel full, since there is a "brain" in the gut called the enteric nervous system, which regulates digestion.

No one wakes up and says, "I want to be fat". But you go outside and you see loads of fat people here in NJ and all across every hyper competitive capitalist, consumer capitalist society. What happened to them? They cannot find life satisfaction via work, because almost all jobs suck. They cannot find contentment via family life, because most families don't communicate and are totally dysfunctional. So what can they do? They can seek pleasure and contentment only via forms of addiction. They can try for the pleasure and satisfaction which they cannot receive elsewhere, via their mouths, from the food they can gorge on.

Being overweight is an emotional problem, not a problem of failing to measure calories. Everyone knows overweight people, tons of them, who lose weight, gain it back, lose it, gain, etc. Why? Because it is emotional and no one tells them that, so they never deal with it. And the first stress or emotional trauma they experience has them back to gorging themselves and they gain everything back again.
    Yeah, the addiction syndrome. I failed to mention this part of it, but you are totally right, emotional eating is a massive factor in this problem. It is really silly when you think about it, people eat to satisfy an emotional 'need', which ultimately is unsatisfying. If only they were educated in cause and effect, and shown how insane and unhealthy this is, and how much better off they would be without filling this perceived need in this way, we would all be much better off. Addiction is a widespread and insidious disease, and it seems that it is getting more prevalent as this society loses sight of what is really important and valuable. Again, another thread!
    It's all Here. Now.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Havn't read the whole fukn thread but did you know that in some european countries such as Holland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Germany, Austria, Switzerland and probably a few more the bike is the main form of transport. If its less than 10 miles many people just ride it on their bike. In cities you see a lot more bikes than cars.

Who could have guessed you get fat by driving around in your car and eating McDonalds all day long??
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    great topic and some great posts. this is topic that is near to my heart. i've been in the fitness industry for 10+ years...majority of it in commercial gyms and the last 4 years working on the corporate wellness/promotion side (much more enjoyable place to be).

It's sad/frustrating that still to this day I get asked "can you show me some ab exercises to help me lose my gut" or "I have a wedding coming up in a month and I need to drop 20lbs" or "I've been working out for 3 mo and I've not lost any weight".

All statements based on what people are lead to believe when they hear/read/watch in the media how they can lose weight and lose their gut. All based on exercise equipment that is promoted to lose inches, drop weight, drop dress sizes when really at the end of the day we should be saying one thing: "PUT THE FORK DOWN!"

For example. The right size smoothie add I hear on XM. guy says he heard that women age 40 have to work out an hour a day to lose weight. Tell me what the living hell is wrong with someone working out an hour a day? The add is extremely misleading and the female who doesn't know any better or is desparate because she fits that description decides to buy the product. What's the difference? How will it work? She's changing her diet, probably dropping calories and of course she's going to lose weight! But really.....what has she truely learned?

Like someone said. Diets.....don't......work! South Beach, Atkins, cabbage diet...the list goes on. All temporary solutions to a permanent problem. And no one learns from their mistakes that got them there in the first place. Learn how to eat properly, learn proper portion, learn the difference between quality calories vs junk (processed foods) calories and you'll see weight loss.

Fast food. Stop eating and buying it and they'll go away. Sad fast food joints are allowed to promote the nasty foods. even more sad that people think it's normal and ok to eat said nasty foods.

Medicine. What the Hell? for example, why do we promote antacids in an add where someone is eating poorly? instead why not promote healthy eating instead?

Lastly. Exercise. You have to make the time! I know it's hard. you have a family, you have a full time job. but I talk to plenty of employees who are no different then you. Employees who have stressful jobs.

Know what they tell me? "It can be done, you have to make the time".

There's a great quote I saw on facebook. "Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you"

~ B A D A S S ~
    Diets = muff cabbage
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A simple exercise for keeping your weight in check:
    1. Turn your head right
    2. Turn your head left
    3. Repeat (1) and (2) alternately, 3 to 5 times, at medium pace.
    Do every time you are offered a cream cake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    I travel a lot in my job if you want to see FAT people go to the airport!
    All I ever see at the airport is beautiful women...maybe I have selective vision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Richtacular View Post
    ... once they know you have food for them they come right up to the car and can cause a lot of damage with their weight and uncanny strength.
    Bears try to do the same thing in Yosemite, hence the rules against food storage in cars. Maybe you need the same rule?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm a PE teacher.

You should see these kids..........

Quote Originally Posted by dja4260 View Post
    I'm a PE teacher.

Chubby Chaser
    I'm a PE teacher.

If I was a PE teacher I would probably get fired on the first day of class and probably get arrested for child abuse.

Fat kid: "Mr. Will Goes Boing how many more do we have to do??"
    Me: "HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE TO DO??? AS MANY AS IT WILL TAKE TO GET RID OF THAT FATASS YOU'RE CARRYING AROUND!! JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID QUESTION NOW THE WHOLE ENTIRE CLASS HAS TO RUN LAPS AFTER THIS."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm laughing as I sit here at parent teacher conferences.

I wish I could say what I really feel about my students, parents, and the unhealthy lifestyle my students are growing up in.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    If I was a PE teacher I would probably get fired on the first day of class and probably get arrested for child abuse.

Fat kid: "Mr. Will Goes Boing how many more do we have to do??"
    Me: "HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE TO DO??? AS MANY AS IT WILL TAKE TO GET RID OF THAT FATASS YOU'RE CARRYING AROUND!! JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID QUESTION NOW THE WHOLE ENTIRE CLASS HAS TO RUN LAPS AFTER THIS."
    Well, at least you'd be on the news, and be able to get your message out to a larger audience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is there even PE anymore?

Is there even PE anymore?
    I hear they traded I out for a class on how to get the most food for the least money at a fast-food spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just found out we're moving back to the SouthEast in a couple months.

One of my favorite things about the West coast is the fitness of the average person. Now it's back to the land of the fat folk I suppose, where you're not cool unless you fry everything in bacon grease and you're a "queer" if you even think about watching what you put in your body.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    The kid is just big boned.

Specialized sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Just found out we're moving back to the SouthEast in a couple months.

One of my favorite things about the West coast is the fitness of the average person. Now it's back to the land of the fat folk I suppose, where you're not cool unless you fry everything in bacon grease and you're a "queer" if you even think about watching what you put in your body.
    "salad? thats what food eats! whats dat der tofu? you some sorta pretty boy?"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Let's not start hatin' on the South - one thing this thread has shown, THEY are everywhere. In fact, everywhere there's a Walmart - cue song!

People of Walmart - Music Video - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They are everywhere, but the south has more than the west. I was at PHX and looking for the gate to a major (nice) southern city and as soon as we saw the people milling around the gate, we knew we were at the correct gate. Big people indeed!

DIY all the way
    Well, for what it's worth, I would blame the processed food.

We are slowly but surely getting the same problem here in Denmark.
    People care less and less (if at all) about what they eat.
    Today you will actually have to search for somebody under the age of 50, whom can cook a decent meal, let alone find somebody whom can cook a really good dinner.

So most people stuff themselves with all kinds of junk, and on top of that get less exercise.

Somehow it should be obvious to a reasonably educated person, that it is no way to live, unfortunately it seems to border to being rocket science.

Magura

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes well I have about 15 Ib that I should try harder to move.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    "salad? thats what food eats! whats dat der tofu? you some sorta pretty boy?"
    God dammit Kyle! lol Do you know how many times I have heard that?!?!?!

I still eat meat, but my wife is a vegetarian. It is amazing how, 6 years later after converting, her family and our friends still ask her with a smirk "How do ya wantcher steak?" Har friggity har.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So, we agree that kids are obese now. How do we fix this problem, government programs, ad campaigns, super violent dodgeball in schools that favors the skinny?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

meh me..

..emotional attitude does say about right now..
    I gives a rats ass abt being a mini fat bastard
    ..I still beat a lot of lower skilled young punks up and down d trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat people.  Everywhere.-img_0087gimpsharpandcolorbal-medium-.jpg  

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So, we agree that kids are obese now. How do we fix this problem, government programs, ad campaigns, super violent dodgeball in schools that favors the skinny?
    how about we make "fast food" nurtitious restaurants and burn down fast food joints. how about we stop putting sh!t in school cafeterias and put healthy food in.

that's a good start

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clo View Post
    how about we make "fast food" nurtitious restaurants and burn down fast food joints. how about we stop putting sh!t in school cafeterias and put healthy food in.

that's a good start
    So are suggesting we stop feeding them pink slime too? Are you a commie?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clo View Post

that's a good start
    I think fixing the crap provided by school cafeterias would be an excellent start.

I think a BIG part of the problem are agriculture subsidies that encourage cheap corn and cheap meat. There's so much cheap corn on the market, that the big agribusiness companies are trying to find new ways to use it. They make fuel and plastics out of it, that's why HFCS is the favorite sweetener by industry. That's why every processed food item has some kind of corn (or soybean) ingredient in it. That's why corn is in so many pet foods. That's why so much corn is fed to feedlot animals to fatten them up. It's so damn cheap. Why is it cheaper than other, more nutritious vegetables like broccoli and squash and stuff? The healthy vegetables are the ones that should be subsidized, if anything.

Stop subsidizing meat and it suddenly gets more expensive and people start eating less of it. Waistlines get smaller. Ban industrial raising of meat.

Ride More, Work Less
    Nate is spot on.

Anybody watch Jamie Oliver's food revolution show related to this? That show opened my eyes. I think it was also the first case of "pink slime" exposed.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I think fixing the crap provided by school cafeterias would be an excellent start.

I think a BIG part of the problem are agriculture subsidies that encourage cheap corn and cheap meat. There's so much cheap corn on the market, that the big agribusiness companies are trying to find new ways to use it. They make fuel and plastics out of it, that's why HFCS is the favorite sweetener by industry. That's why every processed food item has some kind of corn (or soybean) ingredient in it. That's why corn is in so many pet foods. That's why so much corn is fed to feedlot animals to fatten them up. It's so damn cheap. Why is it cheaper than other, more nutritious vegetables like broccoli and squash and stuff? The healthy vegetables are the ones that should be subsidized, if anything.

Stop subsidizing meat and it suddenly gets more expensive and people start eating less of it. Waistlines get smaller. Ban industrial raising of meat.
    What you suggest, is pretty much what they have tried doing here in Denmark.
    It does not work.

The grand issue is my parents generation, those born just after WW2.
    They fell into the trap of processed food, microwave meals, and the like.
    Most of that generation simply quit cooking basic food at home.
    Now we have my generation (mid thirties) whom never learned how to cook at home, and most of us never learned at all.

So now the only thing that can rewind the issue, would be to teach people how to cook, and why it matters to spend time on what you eat.

I don't really see that happening anytime soon

Personally I have a lot of interest in cooking, and respectable dining, but most people I know in my age, don't really care.

Magura

since 4/10/2009
    Nate is spot on.

Anybody watch Jamie Oliver's food revolution show related to this? That show opened my eyes. I think it was also the first case of "pink slime" exposed.
    yep, saw that...among several other documentaries.

I think all of the patenting of crop varieties and DNA (yes, you can patent a gene sequence developed in a lab to confer some trait to crops and other organisms) contributes to the problem, too. farmers are essentially pressured into slaving away for big ag instead of running smaller family farms that produce a variety of crops. because of how big ag prohibits seed saving. even organic farmers have a hard time because adjacent big ag pollen contaminates their organic crop...and because the genes are patented, the organic farmer is screwed. agribusiness is a giant mess right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I will proudly tell you all that my sons are 10 yo and 8 yo and have NEVER had cola. The only soda they have ever had is ginger ale on new years eve.

When we tell people they can't believe it. I think my oldest tried it once at a birthday party felt guilty and asked for water.

We aren't some kind of health food nazis though. We just feel that of all the junk food, soda pop it the worst and most easily "abused". They still get the occassional ice cream cone or chocolate bar.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    My local medical center spends a huge amount of money to outfit all their facilities for extraordinarily fat people. Giant sized wheelchairs and gurneys, bigger doors and examination tables..

Well, according to those BMI charts I am obese as well - does not matter that I can climb a tall rock and finish a 12hr race, so I am not sure I would be happy with health insurance premiums being adjusted to weight..

But the size of those wheelchairs... good grief..

Chubby Chaser
    Fatness puzzles me....

Lets just say a person is average looking or maybe even ugly.... nothing much they can do about that. But how our bodies look is entirely 100% under our control; I don't get why anybody would intentionally look uglier when they don't have to be. A nice body makes up for an ugly face whether it's a guy or girl, and those who say they don't care about how they look are straight up lying. We all care how other people perceive us physically to some extent.

Whenever I watch shows about people with weight issues, they always complain about getting ridiculed or fat kids getting called names and bullied in school. They are in FULL control of that, but yet they cry and whine instead of doing something about it.

Big Boy
    ..emotional attitude does say about right now..
    I gives a rats ass abt being a mini fat bastard
    ..I still beat a lot of lower skilled young punks up and down d trails.
    You've got three monitors there, how many are devoted to mtbr?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Big Boy
    Whenever I watch shows about people with weight issues, they always complain about getting ridiculed or fat kids getting called names and bullied in school. They are in FULL control of that, but yet they cry and whine instead of doing something about it.

You can't place all the blame on the kids. They aren't adults and they don't make adult decisions. Their parents are more to blame than they are.

Not everyone cares much about what they look like to others. You have to pick what you care more about....1)being fit/attractive or 2)eating whatever you want whenever you want, and I love me some good eats!!!
    Last edited by texasnavy05; 04-20-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    You've got three monitors there, how many are devoted to mtbr?
    This second I have MTBR on one and skype on another. suppose if i had music on it would be on the 3d. I dont think I've ever had multiple instances of MTBR open...

On a thread related note I had 8 homemade lemon cookies of some sort after a slice of pizza AND some beef/pasta disfor dinner.

I had copious amounts of bbq for lunch at Pettys.

Seriously wish some1 point me to a local overeaters group.

AZ
    banned
    This second I have MTBR on one and skype on another. suppose if i had music on it would be on the 3d. I dont think I've ever had multiple instances of MTBR open...

On a thread related note I had 8 homemade lemon cookies of some sort after a slice of pizza AND some beef/pasta disfor dinner.

I had copious amounts of bbq for lunch at Pettys.

Seriously, the clydes forum, a lot of support, info, encouragement and inspiration.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    deleted

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    deleted too.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    'cuz those guys know the best buffets to eat at.

i dunno man, i'm all about "face". i've been attracted to people who are a little chubby, as long as the face is good....i cant be attracted to a buttah face!

as for fat kids, they are pretty uneducated, and they dont buy the groceries...the parents do. A lot parents are ignorant too. Many people dont realize what they DRINK could be whats making them fat. Everybody blames food. Too much soda, alcohol, even juice and milk, have a lot of calories if you drink them often.

Kids are going to eat what the parents buy. Until they have their own jobs, they are stuck eating whats in the house. If a parent buys junk food, you cant expect the kid not to eat it. You dont often see fat kids with fit parents. it tends to be the whole family.

i used to be a bit average/chubby. Now i make sure my grocery cart is strictly healthy, and almost have no food in the house to tempt me. i only eat "bad" when its a social situation. but i will not allow cookies and cupcakes in the house because i dont have the willpower!

~ B A D A S S ~
    Fatness puzzles me....

Lets just say a person is average looking or maybe even ugly.... nothing much they can do about that. But how our bodies look is entirely 100% under our control; I don't get why anybody would intentionally look uglier when they don't have to be. A nice body makes up for an ugly face whether it's a guy or girl, and those who say they don't care about how they look are straight up lying. We all care how other people perceive us physically to some extent.

Beauty comes from the inside, thats what my mother said. Besided all cats are gray in the dark.

Specialized sucks ass.

Former C-Dale addict
    I'm laughing as I sit here at parent teacher conferences.

I wish I could say what I really feel about my students, parents, and the unhealthy lifestyle my students are growing up in.
    The fact that you can't is probably the biggest reason we're so screwed up these days...
    Clever Signature

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0