mtbr member

Family sues Strava

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They [Strava] assume no responsibility. They don't put cones out. They don't have anybody monitor and see whether a course, or a specific segment, is dangerous," said Susan Kang, the lawyer representing Flint's family.

that sucks, hate hearing when a cyclist gets killed....but what did he do to make sure the course he road that day was going to be safe?

mtbr member
    I'm suing Ben and Jerry for making their ice-cream so good causing me to eat too much of it and get fat.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Suckin wind like a boss
    i think it sucks that frivolous lawsuits are the norm in this country. strava is a tool, for better or worse, and not to blame. dude's ego is what got him killed, not the app on his phone.

and this-

"They [Strava] assume no responsibility. They don't put cones out. They don't have anybody monitor and see whether a course, or a specific segment, is dangerous," said Susan Kang, the lawyer representing Flint's family."
    that right there is what should exonerate strava in court. google doesnt watch trafic; if you get in an accident while using google maps, will you sue them? of course not. why is strava any different? its just a mapping app with a nice overlay and additional functions that help cyclists. google my tracks does too... hmmm...
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It is really unfortunate when someone gets killed.

I hate lawsuits like this. People have to take responsibility for their own actions. It was his choice to do something dangerous. Strava didn't hold a gun to his head and make him do it. I choose to mountain bike and if I get hurt, it's my responsibility. I always have the choice to get off my bike and walk a feature or stay home and eat bon bons, watch TV and get fat and have a heart attack.

I bet if you could ask the guy who died, he'd be pi$$ed that his family is sueing. I would be. I can understand that they feel the need to blame someone to deal with their grief but I really wish they didn't sue.

mtbr member
    sad, senseless, and stupid all at the same time. your ego is not your amigo.

Pale Rider
    The problem is that in America there is no "loser pay" built into our laws. And as long as we have lawyers, and lawyers in our congressional bodies, it will not change.

There is no financial pain for frivolous suits in many cases. The lawyer is taking a cut of what is "won", so if they win they win - if they lose they don't lose. Most enter into the suits hoping for a settlement out of court where the person getting hosed just wants to get hosed a little less.

Strava will settle out of court with a "quiet" damage amount, so they will not have to admit any guilt and spend huge dollars for a court trial. The family will walk away with a little money, and the lawyer will walk away with a little more than the family.

And the memory of this bicyclist is being dragged through all of this bullsh*t over greed.

Pale Rider
    BTW my comments are not aimed at lawyers. All the normal jokes aside, a very high percentage of lawyers are working within the law for their clients and for their own personal gain. No problem with that.

The problem is with the lawMAKERS.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    sad, senseless, and stupid all at the same time. your ego is not your amigo.

Brilliant!

mtbr member
    While this lawsuit may be frivolous, frivolous suits are most definitely not the norm. Lawyers want to make money. A baseless lawsuit is a sure way for a lawyer to lose money. While there may be no tradition of "loser pay" in American jurisprudence, the fact of the matter is that lawyers almost always front the costs of the lawsuit on behalf of their clients. In many cases, these costs can amount to tens of thousands of dollars. If the case is tried and lost, the lawyer routinely ends up eating these costs.

meow meow
    sorry for the rider but that is just stupid. strava didnt make him speed.

since 4/10/2009

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I'm suing Ben and Jerry for making their ice-cream so good causing me to eat too much of it and get fat.
    Perhaps we can join forces and get others to jump on the bandwagon and turn this into a class action lawsuit? I'm certainly in on this. How dare they do such a thing!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Keep pedaling
    How does Strava work?

Is there anything preventing dishonest people from putting it on their car or motorcycle, and claiming that as a bike ride time?

I agree with previous comments. It was frivolous, foolish, and unfortunate.

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    How does Strava work?

Is there anything preventing dishonest people from putting it on their car or motorcycle, and claiming that as a bike ride time?

I agree with previous comments. It was frivolous, foolish, and unfortunate.
    There is nothing to prevent dishonesty. Except you are only fooling yourself. For me it is more of a historical tool for tracking my individual rides, and cumulative training record.

Some jerk can blast an individual segment if they want by some dishonest means, but generally a popular segment everyone kinda knows everyone else anyway, at least around here. And most people use their real name.

It's a good tool - too bad they are getting drug into this farce.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    How does Strava work?

Yes, dishonest people are using motorized vehicles to post bicycle top times. For example, mtn bikes do not go 90mph uphill, do they?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Strava should not be held accountable. This guy wanted to be the fastest. That was his only objective. He paid the price. Strava did not create the segment he killed himself on, rather, users of Strava created it. It is up to individuals to decided whether or not to kill themselves while riding their bikes in search of the ultimate KOM pissing match.

I use Strava, by the way, and my downhill times are slow… but I do go fast UP the hills.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

No Stranger to danger....
    look, i totally agree with most of your guys sentiments here BUT, the family here are just trying rightly or wrongly to support themselves....

my dad broke hes neck n died as a result when i was 7, i had a younger brother n sister n my mum had nothing to her name.
    it happened at a local park, we could have sued, but my mum had to much pride for that, she thought it would not be teaching her kids good values n it would be to much for her to go through, later down the track i think she regreted that, because she struggled so much to get bye.....
    when real bad **** happens in life, and a family is left to bear the brunt of it, it is real hard, n sometimes rightly or wronly they will do anything to survive, n this means lawsuits....

yes this guy sounded pretty silly, but its **** that hes family are left between a rock n a hard place...
    i dont know what the answer is, but i do know that it is bloody hard for a family, prob with young kids to survive after these sort of tragic accidents, so please try and understand that this woman, n i presume it hes wife, she n here family will be clutchin at straws to make ends meet..

maybe, if your going to ride a bike you should have personal insurance, maybe these places should have insurance for the riders, not knowing the place at all i cant really comment on that side of it, but as i said please try n look at it from the point of view of the family he has left behind, and can you blame her for clutching at straws, cheers

since 4/10/2009
    Hate to rag on a dead guy, but as a person with a family and/or other people depending on you, you need to remember that the consequences of your decisions affect others, too.

It is good sense to carry insurance on yourself to provide for your family in the event of an accident, but that is not a priority for most, especially young people. For many, a beer fund or that flat screen TV or the latest smartphone and massive data plan is more important.

This guy made his choices and now his family has to live with them. It's sad, but that is the way it works. You cannot expect someone else to provide for your family when you fail to do so. There are cases of legitimate negligence where the offending person/company should be held responsible but this sounds like such an outcome is an extremely long shot

AZ
    banned
    At least he can't make anymore contributions to the gene pool.

humpty dumpty
    Saw that article. You cannot hold Strava accountable. It is the comparison to buddies on the list that drive us to push limits on the road and not the "paper" the list is written upon. I think this is a legal grab and nothing more. Too bad for all involved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Bill View Post
    While this lawsuit may be frivolous, frivolous suits are most definitely not the norm. Lawyers want to make money. A baseless lawsuit is a sure way for a lawyer to lose money. While there may be no tradition of "loser pay" in American jurisprudence, the fact of the matter is that lawyers almost always front the costs of the lawsuit on behalf of their clients. In many cases, these costs can amount to tens of thousands of dollars. If the case is tried and lost, the lawyer routinely ends up eating these costs.
    Every lawsuit of which I am aware including two against me is entirely frivolous. Lawyers are mostly trouble-making parasites.

Members who have read this thread: 0