Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook?

mtbr member

Facebook?

Is it a bunch of sh%t? i cant stand it! will admidt, at first a few years ago i had an act, then deleted it. IMO its a bunch of crap! (dont mean to sound angry)
    My wife is addicted to this on her phone. I truly believe this lowers ones "core score"
    What do you think?
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

meow meow
    u mad bro?

see me rollin, they hatin
    HAH! facebook has improved now that you can block/hide annoying people's notifications and game requests, etc. i've blocked so many people's statuses!

but now i'm stuck with horrible timeline because i THOUGHT the rumors were true of mandatory switchover.
    fap

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    HAH! facebook has improved now that you can block/hide annoying people's notifications and game requests, etc. i've blocked so many people's statuses!

but now i'm stuck with horrible timeline because i THOUGHT the rumors were true of mandatory switchover.
    Hhehehe plus 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I hated Facebook when I was "friends" with too many people on there. Dropped about 300 of them to where I have about 80 now, and then hid some of those people's posts. MUCH better now.

All fat, all the time.
    Just say NO to facebook. I can't wait for it to turn into what myspace did, maybe people will put down the phones and drive again.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I was trolling around one night in my dorm room.... One of my friends came in and held me down and pulled me away from the computer.... Then another friend came in and switched me over to Timeline! But I had also just switched another friend to Timeline the night before, so I guess it was all fair. I don't really mind Timeline, though. It's just different. A little more cluttered than the old layout, but whatever.

IMHO, Facebook is what you make of it. I was considering de-activating my account for the summer because it was getting old, but now that I'm home for the summer and all my friends are 7+ hours away, it's nice to be able to keep in touch with them. (Yes, I have a phone, and yes, I use it to keep in touch with some friends, but I'm not the kind of person to sit down for a conversation or send a bajillion texts throughout the night.)
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

since 4/10/2009
    I use it less and less really. But I do work with some volunteer groups that are only active there, so I stick around.

I will be cutting down my friends list significantly this summer though. Just no need for everyone there.

I also enter some false info there so FB doesn't have a very good profile on me to sell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I hated Facebook when I was "friends" with too many people on there. Dropped about 300 of them to where I have about 80 now, and then hid some of those people's posts. MUCH better now.
    This is one thing I really enjoyed doing, although my "friends" list only got close to 100, never over.

I find it a great way to keep up with my family since they are spread out all over the West.
    I don't live "attached" to my cellphone so I don't have an issue with checking FB or texts or emails all the time.

mtbr member
    My facebook feed is filled with moms posting pics of their kids, and that's about it. Most of my buds don't post much. I really only use it to keep in touch with my family, and only have 30 or so friends. Mostly a waste of time, imo. I wouldn't be sad if it went away.

AZ
    banned
    What is this "book of face" that you all speak of?

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    LOL

I use it mainly for updates on products,places and groups. I find myself deleting more then friending nowadays. Getting tired of the spam posts too.
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ha! I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking about it. Some groups only communicate that way.

Suckin wind like a boss
    mine is mainly political, and some friends (who lean my way politically.) i tried it to 'keep in touch' but people post the most inane drivel on there, sheesh. one by one i trolled em hard until i got bored and deleted them, or they raged and went all emo and deleted me

lately though i have more fun and spend more time here, where people are more real. plus, you all ride bikes
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Isn't there another recent Facebook thread???
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    plus, you all ride bikes
    Wait... What?

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Wait... What?
    i know, its a stretch, but it helps justify the time i spend here.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i know, its a stretch, but it helps justify the time i spend here.
    HA..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

yes, way too much political stuff. Since i lean both right and left on many issues, I end up being annoyed with friends on BOTH sides

Then i have my few religious friends, and i have to "hide" them from most of my offensive religious stuff.

In the end though, i almost never use my old email address, so FB has become my new email.
    fap

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    Is it a bunch of sh%t? i cant stand it! will admidt, at first a few years ago i had an act, then deleted it. IMO its a bunch of crap! (dont mean to sound angry)
    My wife is addicted to this on her phone. I truly believe this lowers ones "core score"
    What do you think?
    You deleted your act??? Awesome! I've cleaned up my act, straightened up my act, even toned down my act, but never deleted it.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Sweep the leg!
    It's for people who can't remember the names of their friends.

I use it less and less because I find out more than I want to know about some people. It also doesn't help when ex-girlfriends ask to be friended. The wife don't like them much despite 2000 miles of distance between us.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    As Caffeine stated above, one finds out too much about others. It kills the mystique in some ways I do believe, particularly old friends that are re-aquainted. I'd much rather keep the old memories than hear about their current stodgy political views or see their goofy Daily Poster sayings.

I did learn that many of my friends absolutely seem to be getting hammered at all hours of the day.

Entertainment comes from watching others air out their laundy and varied grievances about life. Older women post presumably tasteful pictures that border on softcore, then proceed to get angry at aroused responses.

You know what? People are f*cked up.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

Rabid Lana fan

It's just some website that some college kid set up, and he posted pictures of all the chicks in his college. Then he has people vote on whether or not each chick is "hot".

I doubt he'll ever make any money off of it.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    mtbr forum is about all i can handle. my friends try to talk me into joining so we can talk and I'm like, "b*T*h, i just saw you this morning on a 3 hr trail session. I don't want to know you exist til next weekend's ride."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use it exclusively for a MTB group. We post vid/photos of rides and post up coming events and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I use it exclusively for a MTB group. We post vid/photos of rides and post up coming events and whatnot.
    That's pretty much the main reason I'm on it. Almost all the local rides are organized there these days so if I want to take part in group rides I better be on there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Then i have my few religious friends, and i have to "hide" them from most of my offensive religious stuff.
    thats no fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    That's pretty much the main reason I'm on it. Almost all the local rides are organized there these days so if I want to take part in group rides I better be on there.
    you aren't allowed to ride at your local spots alone or they don't let you ride unless you sign up? you can't "jump in" en route?

Bro Mountainbiker
    I like that I can keep up with the racing communty on Facebook. Organizing rides, reading race reports, seeing pics of stuff I couldnt attend.

Thats all I like about it these days.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    It's too much drama for me. I get on because I have a few racing friends that post and that's about it. Too many people put too much of their life on Facebook.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I actually unfriended all my siblings (all 8 that has FB) just so I could see the MTB posts and not fluff.

The need for singlespeed
    Since it's a scam capitalizing on people's intrinsic vanity to extract, use, and sell information, I'm hoping targeted advertising proves ineffective and their stock tanks.

you dont have to unfriend your siblings! just block their annoying asses! its perfect!

the worst statuses "OMG i neeeed coffeeee!"

well then go get some coffee you lazy pr!ck. i dont care how tired you are. Are you tired because you were up all night wanking to granny pron? now THAT would be interesting to know. At least give an entertaining reason!
    fap

mtbr member
    The g/f's page and mine are total and complete opposites. Her's is full of those weird status updates and she has like 200+ friends. I kept my friends group down to the core friends I've always had growing up, family members, and a few co-workers. Even then I check the page maybe once every 3 days or so. Most of us still talk via phone, txt, or email if we want to chat..

Tails

banned
    Feb 2012
    Everything you ever do on FB will be eventually used against you. That includes your updates, comments, likes, location check-ins, your social graph, groups, pictures, tags etc. I do not think most of use can imagine the actual extent of the misuse of our personal information that may be happening in a not so distant future.

As NateHawk suggested, if you already have a profile and provided them with your data, the best way out is poisoning it with bogus information. Deleting deletes nothing in FB, your data is in there forever and ready to be dug out when least convenient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would anyone be interested in my line of aluminum foil hats and accessories?

i'm not too worried about it. i guess the worst that could happen is your employer looks at your info. which is why i block a lot of stuff. i dont really have any scandalous info on myself, nor do i worry about getting spam based on my interests. i just ignore it.
    fap

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Deleting deletes nothing in FB, your data is in there forever and ready to be dug out when least convenient.
    Not necessarily.

We (digital marketing company I am stuck at for now) keep inactive user records for about half a year. It really does not make any sense to keep archives, especially in a searchable formats any longer.

All they want to do is to show you more relevant ads. That is all to it. As a person who is on the back end of this business, yes, there is no privacy, but nobody cares and there is no conspiracy.

That said - I do not use Facebook. I think it is a wrong model. For communication it is better to organize around groups (like this forum), not around a person (who can have many unrelated interests). It is also better for advertizing optimization.

I am not assuming that anything I say here is private, but it is reasonably obscured as not to interfere with my other communications.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    All they want to do is to show you more relevant ads. That is all to it. As a person who is on the back end of this business, yes, there is no privacy, but nobody cares and there is no conspiracy.
    I am not saying there is a conspiracy going on, FB is quite open about their policies and people still do not care and expose shitloads of data about themselves without thinking about the consequences.

Advertising and marketing is just a small part of their long term business model IMHO. Private data mining, long term history trends/behavioral patterns/persona study is where their business is headed according to my paranoid mind. Job placement, insurance policies, law enforcement, credit applications, school admissions etc. -> wherever knowing a customer's profile makes a good business sense, it will be available for sale. The wide user base and diversity is what makes FB such a great data source to invest into. MTBR - bleh, too little, too narrowly focused, too intoxicated to make any sense of.

I am on FB but I regret I joined long years ago before it became the shiz.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Advertising and marketing is just a small part of their long term business model IMHO. Private data mining, long term history trends/behavioral patterns/persona study is where their business is headed according to my paranoid mind. Job placement, insurance policies, law enforcement, credit applications, school admissions etc. -> wherever knowing a customer's profile makes a good business sense, it will be available for sale. The wide user base and diversity is what makes FB such a great data source to invest into. MTBR - bleh, too little, too narrowly focused, too intoxicated to make any sense of.
    It is surprisingly little that you can actually gain from it compared to some more targeted methods. Makes for a good presentation, but provides not so much as a return on your investment.

It is not that easy selling leads, even good leads (like LinkedIn gets). And with an incredibly generic profile that Facebook collect it is difficult to target those. We have a large cluster cranking on Facebook users stated interests and what ads they respond to.. Yes, there is correlation. No, I would not be worried. There are very rapidly diminishing returns beyond simple targeting (age, geography, education level). Even if you keep track of all the "likes", does not tell you too much about what you will be able to sell to that person.

If you want to sell bikes - I think you will be better off advertizing on dedicated web sites or on search.

Huckin' trails
    So you get that university dude who's creating the whole thing so he could hang out with his friends online. Now he's the one who develop the software and still owns it.

If I was that guy, I would make sure to have a few well hidden back doors and a core ghost access to the whole data, plus a back-up avatar and blind ports. And data isn't an issue when you have unlimited server capacity and hundreds of IT and geeks at your command.

The human being is just too weak not to enjoy this amount of power. Data like text can be stored easily and doesn't require much room. Pics and vids on the other hand won't be kept too long.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    If I was that guy, I would make sure to have a few well hidden back doors and a core ghost access to the whole data, plus a back-up avatar and blind ports. And data isn't an issue when you have unlimited server capacity and hundreds of IT and geeks at your command.

The human being is just too weak not to enjoy this amount of power. Data like text can be stored easily and doesn't require much room. Pics and vids on the other hand won't be kept too long.
    It is not what you store. It is what you do with it.

On my other monitor I have a console to a database with many terabytes of click data, searches etc.. I can correlate that to some individuals, IPs, accounts without too much trouble.

Why would I do that? I would not. I do not care. Nobody here cares. Facebook engieners and DBAs do not care. Facebook owners would only care if that makes them money, but it is pretty transparent and pretty simple what actually does make money.

There is no privacy, but nobody really cares. They will outlaw using social media non-public data during hiring, they are quite reasonable on what is actually available with a subpoena from your ex and for how long, and we all will be fine.

Do not be a dick, and nobody will come after you. If you are an asshat, facebook is not your worst problem.

That said, I would not be maintaining any accounts - beyond vanilla LinkedIn.

fap

banned
    Feb 2012
    Ding ding ding ding Nicole just won the best post of this thread!

My posts here are a tongue in the cheek but I still think many people underestimate the possible effects of their past data in their future. Waze is another example of a good idea that can go terribly wrong IMHO.

Yep, I have my tin foil hats ready!

(PS - that is not my cat )

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    I don't have a facebook account. Besides why do I need facebook when I have off camber!

the half breed devil
    i post as much offensive and irritating content as possible on my facebook. i also set every possible privacy preference i can so that only friends can see my page.

google chrome adblock helps, too. a LOT...

mtbr member
    <iframe frameborder="no" width="480" height="270" scrolling="no" src="http://www.theonion.com/video_embed/?id=19753"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-facebook-program-dramatically-cut-agencys-cos,19753/" target="_blank" title="CIA's 'Facebook' Program Dramatically Cut Agency's Costs">CIA's 'Facebook' Program Dramatically Cut Agency's Costs</a>

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    According to this article, timeline is designed to get people to input more personal data for Facebook to mine: Facebook's Timeline - Technology Review.

I like Facebook. We have a mtb group and that's the best way to get info on local trail conditions. It's also nice to get update posts when a friend is doing a 24 hour race, etc. I don't let it suck up too much time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ding ding ding ding Nicole just won the best post of this thread!

My posts here are a tongue in the cheek but I still think many people underestimate the possible effects of their past data in their future. Waze is another example of a good idea that can go terribly wrong IMHO.

Yep, I have my tin foil hats ready!

(PS - that is not my cat )
    Son...of...a....

SS Pusher Man
    Yes you find out way too much about people with Facebook......but I find Twitter to be even more of a waste of time......especially those whose constantly tweet. I'm sorry, but I dont care who you are.....no one is so interesting that I need to know what you are doing every moment of the day.

Both turn out to be for people who have to feel self important...."hey, pay attention to me".....no thanks.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    you aren't allowed to ride at your local spots alone or they don't let you ride unless you sign up? you can't "jump in" en route?
    Its more like I won't know when & where the rides are taking place unless I'm on FB. I can always ride the local trails myself or call up a few friends, but it seems like most of the organizing is done on FB these days. Load up FB and there's a different group ride somewhere within an hour of where I live pretty much every day of the week.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i post as much offensive and irritating content as possible on my facebook. i also set every possible privacy preference i can so that only friends can see my page.

google chrome adblock helps, too. a LOT...
    This and some people I'm friends with I'm not friends with that I used to be friends with but they are now annoying friends on my book face so I just report all their status updates. My favorites from them would include.

1) Posting like you are confucius.

2) Updating your status every 15 mins.

3) And if you get more likes then me when I post

I report it as child pron and usually it gets taken down. This results in them bltching about it kind of like some people do on here when something doesn't go their way.

Is not amused
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AZ
    banned

Give it a crank
    So many birthday notices is really scary. Makes you wonder what the upgraded feature will be.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    but I find Twitter to be even more of a waste of time......especially those whose constantly tweet.
    Twitter is like an FM radio, you need to tune to the right station.

Sockington on Twitter
    Sockington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Twitter is like an FM radio, you need to tune to the right station.
    I think Twitter is a better model for social media. Not tied to your person and personal relationships.

I think that in the long run there will be Twitter like services, specialized forums - like this site, or Disqus comments on various sites, professional networking, like LinkedIn, and business/commercial pages on Facebook. I think people will get tired of having there personal, true identity in the open, without compartmentalization of interests and relations.

Dirt Huffer
    I dont know why I even bother logging on anymore. Im always expecting to see something cool. Instead it seems like all i see are is how pathetic some people are.

Is not amused
    Okay, I need some help. There is this new app thing on book face and somehow I have apps but I didn't download them.

First one is facebook camera - removed it, keeps coming back, can't go to page when I search for it, say's page not found.

Second one is facebook messenger for Iphone - same as above. Also I don't even have an Iphone.

Third and last one is facebook messenger for android - same as above

I've tried going to each page in the search to block it and every time it says page not found. If I click remove it, it goes away and comes back once I refresh the page and lastly I'm not deleting my account to solve this issue. I've contacted FB about this but nothing back from them. Help please....

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I don't know anything about those apps -- don't use any apps on the computer, and I haven't updated my Facebook app on my iPod in months.

What I wanna know is why I've been getting notifications when friends post something recently. This stuff has nothing to do with me, so why does Facebook think I would care?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I don't know anything about those apps -- don't use any apps on the computer, and I haven't updated my Facebook app on my iPod in months.

What I wanna know is why I've been getting notifications when friends post something recently. This stuff has nothing to do with me, so why does Facebook think I would care?
    FB randomly (or not) changes your email notifications, I have noticed. For me, it seems especially the case with groups. If I interact with a group a lot, FB will assume I want email notifications and change the setting on me, forcing me to change it back. It is probably doing similar to you. Assumed for one reason or another you wanted to be kept abreast ASAP.

Afric Pepperbird
    Are you a teenage girl? If yes, Facebook may be for you!!

(join now)

Live 2 Ride
    I have Facebook. I use it everyday to keep in touch with family and friends. The only thing I find annoying is when people post those photos with captions that are supoossed to be funny.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

the catalan connection
    I donīt have it. I Donīt think I will...Maybe I should try, I donīt know. 99% of the reasons my friends and people I know have it, are pretty pointless IMO. Besides, I get a bit disturbed seeing how addicted to it some of my friends are.
    Nothing wrong with it, I guess all boils down to the fact that Iīm a rather solitary person. Never liked much the feel of belonging to a group...and being in one just for the fun of being there sharing things is probably not for me. This forum is nice, but if it wasnīt for all the good info and quality posts I read sometimes, I wouldnīt be joining in half as much as I do...I guess.
    Whenever I want to get in touch with anyone,or anyone to get in touch with me, we have more than enough means to do it.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Good, green, Oregon.
    My thoughts on Facebook.......

Facebook, the CIA front:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xk3I-a3CJdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A great tune regarding Faccebook (NSFW):
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j-e9DMQMob4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I tell myself almost daily that I will kill my FB account, only to still have the following day. Damn you Facebook, damn you to hell! One thing is for sure, Facebook let's me know how normal I really am, and how messed up other people are!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    I have Facebook. I use it everyday to keep in touch with family and friends. The only thing I find annoying is when people post those photos with captions that are supoossed to be funny.
    i never do that....

i only post photos with captions that ARE funny
    fap

Jun 2012
    I have a Facebook, but I pretty much only use it for posting photos of my girls - makes it easy for friends and family to stay up to date on how we're doing

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I chatted with an account manager for one of our largest clients who runs Facebook ad campaigns. He (manager, not client) thinks Facebook is on a borrowed time and a lot of people will grew tired of it. Just an interesting perspective. Ads are doing very well by the way so far.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Are you a teenage girl? If yes, Facebook may be for you!!

(join now)
    Yeah, because everyone around here is so mature, erudite and entertaining.

Like others have said, it's what you make of it. It enables me to easily keep in touch with friends and family all over the world. You can reacquaint with old friends on a small scale..people with whom you may now have very little in common.

yes, nobody is cooler or less cool for having a facbook. its all what you do with it. When people turn it into a twitter to complain about the weather or lack of coffee, is when it gets "abused"
    fap

Yes, that's fonetic
    yes, nobody is cooler or less cool for having a facbook. its all what you do with it. When people turn it into a twitter to complain about the weather or lack of coffee, is when it gets "abused"
    This. I've had to delete a few friends that seem to use it as a "poor me" forum.

since 4/10/2009
    I know a few who turn it into a political sounding board. I don't care if you make the occasional comment about the stuff but if it's all you ever post, expect to be blockified or unfriendified.

A few other things will result in being unfriended. Probably the biggest is not interacting with me. I want to interact with others who interact with me, simply enough

poser Administrator
    what i am getting tired of, as Natehawk mention, is people that don't participate, second only to people that push their new company or whatever, and finally people that complain about their first world problems eg: "So close to finishing this book but my stupid dog keeps barking and interrupting my reading FML."

I mean the **** I give about this rates a 0 on my give a **** o meter and seriously in this day and age your life sucks because you can't read your book at home on a weekday because your dog is barking? Open a damn newspaper see what is really going on out there.

Anyway as others have said I have facebook and it is mostly to share with immediate friends and family...just some of them are idiots. The rest of the assorted riffraff that I friended when i joined FB at the beginning of the millennium i have since unfriended because again I give 0 **** on my give a **** o meter about people i last saw in the 8th grade, the 12th grade or people I worked with while I was figuring my life out to this point.

I also agree that FB probably has a limited life span just like myspace and AOL and compuserve, alt. newsgroups and all those other social locations.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    The other thing that chafes my ass is social media experts. I got a link shared with me by a friend on FB for a new company that calls itself social media architects. As a real Architect I have a serious beef with any one that steals my hard earned title, I mean I can let the Architect of War slide, sort let IT architects slide but they really kill my job searches, but a social media architect?

Gimme a ****ing break. I spent 5 years at an accredited university, spent 3 years in an internship, wrote 9 qualifying exams and am nationally certified to practice architecture. What did they do? Get a twitter and facebook account? Hang out on mashable? Bought an iPad?

Seriously, GTFO of my internets.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a facebook for a long time but dumped it a couple months ago.
    Just got tired of it and most of the people on my friends list.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Like others have mentioned, I use it less and less. I mostly enjoy the mtb aspect of it. I know what everyone is up to that I ride and race with.

I seem to block more and more updates from those "certain people"
    Last edited by rydbyk; 07-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    What do you think?
    Cell phones lower one's core score almost as much as television, the drug of the nation- breeding ignorance and feeding radiation (props to the Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy lyrics).

Give it a crank
    Some just post so often that you'd think they're getting paid to post stuff every 10 minutes. After changing some people's settings to "Important messages only" I got it to a useable level where I could trim out most of the boring stuff.

The whole thing is just geared to profit from users. Someday they may just end up having to offer cash to posters just to maintain the user base they need. Hype alone won't make it very far in order to maintain members, especially as other new online hangouts are created with new ideas.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Seriously, GTFO of my internets.

mtbr member
    The best use for it IMO are the groups.

banned
    Feb 2012

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use it for friends and groups. I don't play the political/relgious ******** game, anyone who posts that **** all day long gets removed from my fb, and the lolcatz crap too. It's strictly to keep up with relatives and friends that aren't close by. I enjoy seeing pictures of my family members, I can kind of keep up with them and their growing kids when they're thousand of miles away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Just say NO to facebook. I can't wait for it to turn into what myspace did, maybe people will put down the phones and drive again.

Bravo!

I must be one of the few holdouts that doesn’t feel the need to participate in social media

HAL 9000 has no "friends" only acquaintances.

HAL 9000 does not really give a **** what your doing.

HAL 9000 isn't interested in telling you what i'm doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark! View Post
    I use it for friends and groups. I don't play the political/relgious ******** game, anyone who posts that **** all day long gets removed from my fb, and the lolcatz crap too. It's strictly to keep up with relatives and friends that aren't close by. I enjoy seeing pictures of my family members, I can kind of keep up with them and their growing kids when they're thousand of miles away.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

Axe
    Custom User Title

mtbr member
    Facebook is a total waste of time. I didn't care about anyone in highschool, and I damn sure don't care what they are doing now.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I think I've finally figured out what that new "edit" feature on comments is for...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Facebook?-facebook-edit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's a paper called the strength of weak ties. It's inspired by how weak hydrogen bonds holds higher amounts of water through covalent bonds. Facebook is an outlet to maintain some of these weak ties in life. Unfortunately, people my age don't use email. So, many use Facebook. Like anything, frequent use stands out. I've gotten **** for browsing MTBR too much, where is my core score?

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    The other thing that chafes my ass is social media experts. I got a link shared with me by a friend on FB for a new company that calls itself social media architects. As a real Architect I have a serious beef with any one that steals my hard earned title, I mean I can let the Architect of War slide, sort let IT architects slide but they really kill my job searches, but a social media architect?
    I color coordinated my bike and picked a custom handlebar, I'm a bike architect if you really think about it..

Life Is Short
    Facebook has Angry Birds. Thats it. I don't really want to know what friends and family are up to.

Also I feel sorry for the greedy investors who's FB
    stock isn't doing very well.

Look investors, did you really think you were going to make a bundle on something
    that already peaked? Like investing in Members Only jackets 5 years after their debut.
    Or like that Rupert Murdoch who stupidly purchased My Space during its decline?

That is all. Now go and LIKE something. Heheheheheh!!!!!!!

Here's another annoying phrase:

"Follow me on Twitter" Uh no thanks.

I Ride Bikes

Twitter

a little off topic, but I don't get Twitter. Seriously what good does it do?

"Look at me. I posted a couple of sentences about nothing. @wishihadmorefriends ##"

I want to make my own social media thingy and call it Twatter. Just so I can tell people to check out my Twat. Follow my Twat!

huh? what?

Boooo.

~ B A D A S S ~
    The only contact I have with facebook is that before I emplyed all those adblockers some ads like "the facebook of sex" used to pop up when I was surfing porn. Does that count? I wanted to click them but then I was like naaah maybe its a trap. Probably was too. I guess I don't give a F about facebook or their variations.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    a little off topic, but I don't get Twitter. Seriously what good does it do?

"Look at me. I posted a couple of sentences about nothing. @wishihadmorefriends ##"

I want to make my own social media thingy and call it Twatter. Just so I can tell people to check out my Twat. Follow my Twat!

huh? what?

Boooo.
    Twatter - The Anti-Social Network already exists. Nothing new.

Twitter does a lot of thing much better then Facebook.

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Twatter - The Anti-Social Network already exists. Nothing new.

Twitter does a lot of thing much better then Facebook.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Facebook reveals its evil plans | Cringely - InfoWorld

Loving this section: Facebook users can opt out of having their social networking activities married to real-world purchases, but they can't do it on Facebook. In fact, you'll have to search long and hard to find anything about this type of data collection on the social network that's all about sharing. If you want to opt out, you must go to Datalogix, fill out a form, and wait 30 days. And you'll have to do it for every member of your household.

Sounds convenient to me!

mnoutain bkie rdier

Search on FB?

Facebook reveals its evil plans | Cringely - InfoWorld

Loving this section: Facebook users can opt out of having their social networking activities married to real-world purchases, but they can't do it on Facebook. In fact, you'll have to search long and hard to find anything about this type of data collection on the social network that's all about sharing. If you want to opt out, you must go to Datalogix, fill out a form, and wait 30 days. And you'll have to do it for every member of your household.

Sounds convenient to me!
    "From this day forward, anything you search for on the site will be logged." -Infoworld

What do people "search for" using Facebook? Do people shop on Facebook? I just use it to keep in touch with buddies/family acroos the US etc.. hmmm

Sounds like there is a whole 'nother tier to FB that I was unaware of....

mtbr member
    So I use facebook, but for totally different reasons.

I've actually blocked/hidden most of the "friends" on my account, save a few close ones.

But I've liked all the news websites, clubs/groups, and things like that that I'm really into.

Local news
    lake association
    Economist
    Tuesday night CX
    Grad school orgs
    Local hiking group
    ...stuff like that.

Now, rather than going to a bunch of different websites to find out whats going...just go to facebook, and it's all in a list. I'm sure it wasn't made to be a news aggregater...but that's what it is now!

REALLY?
    yes, way too much political stuff. Since i lean both right and left on many issues, I end up being annoyed with friends on BOTH sides

In the end though, i almost never use my old email address, so FB has become my new email.

I hate facebook, for quite a few reasons, but one is because I am what people refer to as an atheist (for lack of a better term) and have lost family members because of some of my anti-theist post and comments to FB.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0