Thread: Facebook

Is not amused

Facebook

Who has it?
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Hey Hutch,

I think I am the only person left on this rock who has refused to jump in? Never will, either.

Here's why... A close friend joined when it first started. He began to hear from all kinds of poeple from his past. The skeletons were exploding out of his closet. He was infuriated. Once you're in...you're trapped forever.

Now, it's gone so far as to where people have died due to it. Rediculous!!!

'hawg
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

AZ
    banned
    Not I, nor will I ever.

Is not amused

mtbr member
    I'm on the new mega social networking site CroMyFaceTwiTube.xxx.
    The .xxx gives it that hardcore edge
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Give it a crank
    Jumped on a couple years ago and bleh... someday it'll be nah...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah. i know it's probably permanent, but my active phase there may be of some as yet undefined period of temporarity. Ooo that's a nice made up word...

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    yeah. i know it's probably permanent, but my active phase there may be of some as yet undefined period of temporarity. Ooo that's a nice made up word...
    I can't even find that word in the inter-galactic dictionary!

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I'm on the new mega social networking site CroMyFaceTwiTube.xxx.
    The .xxx gives it that hardcore edge
    I thought I reconized your face. You did what 3-4 brazzers episodes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Me.

Live 2 Ride
    I have Facebook. If you want to add me as a friend just PM me for the details.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Titanium junkie
    My wife made me a facebook account about 6 months ago, and one of the
    first persons who posted was my Ex-wife, who couldn't believe she found me,
    even though we live in a town of 60,000 people, and we still have mutual friends.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    I have Facebook. If you want to add me as a friend just PM me for the details.
    Same for me
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Movin' to Montana soon
    Jul 2011

Digging in the pain cave.
    Not me.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I have one. If it wasn't for team communications on our team page/group/whatever, I would probably look at de-activating it. It's stupid, I don't like many people, and it's a waste of time.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

DFMBA.org
    Had it. Didn't trust it. Got rid of it.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have a Facebook acc but don't use it much.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

since 4/10/2009
    I am on there. I limit my use to people I actually know as much as I can.

Bike clubs are moving a lot of activity there lately, which annoys me.

I have friends spread around the world amd it is useful for keeping in touch with them. I have had to oblige some people I'd rather not connect with on the site, though, because of the whole mutual friends thing and wanting to avoid drama. A lot of my family use it, too and my family is mostly pretty close

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    This thread may set records for replies per view.

I can't keep up with all the email notifications!

Rabid Lana fan
    I'm grateful for Facebook.

People that just want to post stupid sheet and status updates and whatnot, can go there to post. So here in off-camber, we don't have to put up with that junk, instead we get really meaningful content here, stuff that really matters and makes a difference.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post

People that just want to post stupid sheet and status updates and whatnot, can go there to post. So here in off-camber, we don't have to put up with that junk, instead we get really meaningful content here, stuff that really matters and makes a difference.
    Perhaps this forum page should have been named "MTBR Book"?

Titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post

I can smell the sarcasm from here
    You're a Tailgunner

The White Jeff W
    I love it only because Ive been able to reconnect with old friends Ive lost touch with over the years. My old high school sweetie found me on there and she's now sitting across the table from me having her morning coffee & reading the paper.
    No moss...

Titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I love it only because Ive been able to reconnect with old friends Ive lost touch with over the years. My old high school sweetie found me on there and she's now sitting across the table from me having her morning coffee & reading the paper.
    Now that's cool, makes the day brighter.
    You're a Tailgunner

SS Pusher Man
    What is this Facebook that everyone keeps mentioning????
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

better than I deserve
    I use it for communicating with band members(we wrote a song called Social Projector about FB) and people at work.When I first started I had too much info, like where I work,school,ect. A couple freaks from my past within that same week came to my work place in another town from where they and I live. I had dumped these jerks over thirty years ago and made it clear I wanted noting to do with them.Weird stalkers oh I befriended you when we were kids so sorry,not.One old girlfriend kept bugging me also till I blocked her.Made a few really good friends with some people from my past. I have since then taken all personal info off the FB and I do not allow any apps because they also share your info everywhere they please.
    Run FB in the secure setting and keep all personal info off.Don`t allow people to tag you in photos.Be careful but and it can be fun. That`s my take on it anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No Facebook here. I'm not a hater. If you like it - good for you. My wife has it so she can monitor our two teen girls. But, I think she is addicted. She occasional reads to me about the incredible "goings-on" around her Facebook community. The most amuzing items come from my sister who likes to update the world everytime one of her kids farts. MTBR has kind of become my Facebook, I guess.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I'm not on facebook, but you can find me on fapbook.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I do, really good entertainment on there from all of my still in high school friends.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've had a facebook when it was only .edu addresses. I thought it was okay when it first came out. Kinda cool but not really my thing. I am a pretty private person and I really don't trust the internet with any of my personal data. My FB name is my first name and my last initial.

I log in maybe 10 to 12 times a year when I remember I have an account. Didn't even have a picture until a year ago and I didn't even load it (it drove my friend crazy so she uploaded it for me).

I get why people use it but if you ask them they won't tell you the REAL reason why... lets all be honest here... it's only human to feel that your existence on this earth is some what important and if having a bunch of likes on your posts, comments on your wall, and a decent friend count makes you feel that than good for you. We all have our internet clutch. I personally enjoy forums.

poser Administrator
    I joined somewhere back after the millennium. I was in college, again, and it was a fun thing to catch up with my old friends.

Somewhere along the way, after marriage and kids, it became my connection to my distant family members, mother included. I have wanted to delete it for so long, I hate the advertising, the games, the morons from high school and grade school that feel they need to share their most intimate moments with someone they knew 20 or more years ago.

Recently I went through and unfriended all the dead weight, grade school friends that I last spoke to in grade school, high school friends that want me to know how awesome they are and what they have posted on pinterest, and people that I friended because they lived in Tucson. It is now a group of people I have met, have been and currently are friends with and family. As it should be. It was liberating to defriend all those "friends". Just wish my family would get closer to me physically so I could delete the whole damn mess.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    I've had a facebook when it was only .edu addresses. I thought it was okay when it first came out. Kinda cool but not really my thing. I am a pretty private person and I really don't trust the internet with any of my personal data. My FB name is my first name and my last initial.

I log in maybe 10 to 12 times a year when I remember I have an account. Didn't even have a picture until a year ago and I didn't even load it (it drove my friend crazy so she uploaded it for me).

I get why people use it but if you ask them they won't tell you the REAL reason why... lets all be honest here... it's only human to feel that your existence on this earth is some what important and if having a bunch of likes on your posts, comments on your wall, and a decent friend count makes you feel that than good for you. We all have our internet clutch. I personally enjoy forums.
    Jeez tell me about it....my post count says I obviously suffer from the need to be validated by a group of my peers :P
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    my post count says I obviously suffer from the need to be validated by a group of my peers :P
    Not even close man.

There was this other forum I used to go on (completely unrelated to bikes) and one of the moderators there had a post count of (get ready for it) OVER 50,000!

You should be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Jeez tell me about it....my post count says I obviously suffer from the need to be validated by a group of my peers :P
    Hahaha.. I do understand connecting with old friends and family. THAT is the only reason I still have one. There are definitely high school friends I will always want to be in contact with yet don't have their number or email. Facebook is great for that.

As for post counts! yeah... i got 2k+ on a forum and think that's a lot! another 1k+ on another forum. I totally understand the feeling of seniority but it's more of a feeling of community on forums that I like most and having a high post count just means you really like it here. But any veteran post whore knows that post counts don't equate to knowledge. Same a long with join date and all that. BUT high post counts and old join date does equate to TRUST on forums and that is something that is priceless.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Not even close man.

There was this other forum I used to go on (completely unrelated to bikes) and one of the moderators there had a post count of (get ready for it) OVER 50,000!

You should be fine.
    Definitely check out Shiggy. He is the reigning post king here...I think. SMT might also be there.

edit: http://forums.mtbr.com/members/list/...t=posts&pp=100 they are close to each other

Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    Hahaha.. I do understand connecting with old friends and family. THAT is the only reason I still have one. There are definitely high school friends I will always want to be in contact with yet don't have their number or email. Facebook is great for that.

As for post counts! yeah... i got 2k+ on a forum and think that's a lot! another 1k+ on another forum. I totally understand the feeling of seniority but it's more of a feeling of community on forums that I like most and having a high post count just means you really like it here. But any veteran post whore knows that post counts don't equate to knowledge. Same a long with join date and all that. BUT high post counts and old join date does equate to TRUST on forums and that is something that is priceless.
    Come to think of it I joined MTBR back when I joined Facebook but I joined as Rock Crusher. There was an update and we all had to rejoin but i forgot I was Rock Crusher (my mac logged in automatically for me back then) and I rejoined as Rockcrusher which never linked to my previous post history. I am sure i could go back and get it fixed now, be a little more OG but frankly I just like being here and contributing to the forums. Been mountain biking a long time, seen and experienced a lot and if I could get everyone here to ride with me I would be the happiest rider ever.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

since 4/10/2009
    I've honestly been here longer than I've been on Facebook. I got on when it was still .edu email but it must have been at the very end of it.

I will be trimming lots of fat when I graduate. I may leave it altogether depending on the job I wind up with. Several friends have done just that. I would much prefer to keep it to only friends and family that I like

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Just say no to exhibitionism.

Swedetarded
    I use it as a tool to keep up with friends and family around globe, just makes it easier to share pictures and tell people when I will be home, etc......

I am really getting tired of the stupid caption picture sharing, however. And the open sharing of one's issues. And the fake "but you are a stronger person than that" posts. The ignore feature is wonderful.

Moose Member
    I use it to keep in touch with riders in my area (we post trail updates and builds) and I also use it to keep in touch with a group of Dirt Jumpers about an hour away (dig days, updates, jump conditions) and thats about it.

PM me if you want to be my friend. I post all my biking stuff on there.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Had it. Didn't trust it. Got rid of it.
    me too. I joined in 2005 and it wasn't long before I got creeped out by it. I quit in 2007
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

meow meow
    i do. its fine.

Beer Me!
    I have it, got it way back in college when it was .edu only.

I log on quarterly if that. Did a friend "purge" last year of every name i didn't recognize or care about. To be honest facebook annoys the crap out of me. I don't care if you just ate a brownie, i don't care that your out of laundry detergent. Only reason i still have an account is to keep the ability to communicate with old friends if need be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's ok for a while, but then it either eats you up or you just get sick of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0