mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Are extended store warrantys really worth it for low priced TV purchases?

I was considering purchasing a 39in TV which was a lesser name brand (Hisense) for $299.the salesman insisted I should purchase an extended store warranty...saying there may be a good chance it will break down.How many people do you know have had a LCD or LED TV break down? I don't know any.
    Any thoughts?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

AZ
    banned
    I have one LCD that quit after about 4 years.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't know any. Mine is at about 2yrs. Which is typically longer than those extended warranties run, anyway.

I am actually using an LCD Monitor on my office computer now that is 12 years old. It's not as bright and the colors not as vivid as the other monitor on this computer, but I can't tell if it's because LCD monitors were new tech and not as good back then, or if it's because the backlight is nearing the end of its life. This is a 1st gen 15" LCD monitor that cost me $800 new.

Frt Range, CO
    I never buy any extended warranties. I use the manufacturer's warranty and then I am self-insured. I always exercise the item fully right away (for a TV, I'd leave it on for several days in a row to be sure it doesn't have infantile failure).

With the internet you can usually check the reviews, they can sometimes help indicate a real quality issue.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Extended warranties are an absolute waste of money. Things rarely go wrong that you can't get the factory to do something about if you b_tch enough to them about it.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Retired User
    Personally I think they're a waste of money. I cannot ever remember a circumstance when a household item I've owned has failed within a year or two from purchase, only to have wished that I purchased a warranty.

I'm also struggle with keeping track of receipts.

my $0.02

b a n n e d
    Extended warranties on anything are a complete and total waste of money. First of all, if something is going to break because of a defect, chances are better than not that it will do so within the manufacturer warranty. If it DOES happen to break after the mfg. warranty, but during the "extended" warranty, well good luck making a successful claim.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think if you buy something like an computer or an expensive purchase like that an extended warranty may be helpful.I was able to get a full refund on the TV and the warranty (the same day within hours after purchase), so it's all ggod.I like the idea of giving the TVs a good "burn in" period immediately after purchase.That sounds good.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I never buy any extended warranties. I use the manufacturer's warranty and then I am self-insured. I always exercise the item fully right away (for a TV, I'd leave it on for several days in a row to be sure it doesn't have infantile failure).

With the internet you can usually check the reviews, they can sometimes help indicate a real quality issue.
    Sounds good. Thanks puruiter.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Ride More, Work Less
    Back when flat panels were $10,000 and essentially unproven, an extended warranty would make sense. At $299, don't sweat it.

If you have an AMEX, that will give you an extra year. That is the best deal in town, even if you have an AMEX that charges an annual fee (many do not).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    According to Consumer Reports magazine they're not typically worth the money. I do know a guy that buys cameras with replacement coverage and his cameras always have "accidents" right before the warrantee runs out.

mtbr member
    The extended warranty is how the store makes it's money. Their is very little mark up on TVs and computers. The profit comes from the extended warranty and accessories. So they will always try to sell you all the add ons. Good modern LCD TVs and Monitors are made to last on average 10 years. A cheaper brand may or may not last as long. But chances are it will go out after the warranty is expired.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Theres kind of a catch 22 on extended warranties. The number one thing to ask is how much is the extended warranty versus the cost of the item. For example, I bought a $899 Samsung LCD TV, the 3 year extended warranty was $29. So I went ahead and got it. The second thing you need to look at is the factory warranty repair method. If my Samsung breaks and I only have the manuf. warranty then the TV will have to be shipped to a Samsung repair center to be fixed. If I purchased the in store extended warranty then I can swap it out in store for a replacement with no questions asked. Being without a tv for 2-6 weeks was worth the $30 to me. That being said, Ive had 4 Samsung TV's both LCD and Plasma over the last 6 years and none of them have had a single issue.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    I've got a friend who sold electronics, and commented that those warranties are easily the store's biggest money-makers.

I never buy them. I prefer to spend the warranty amount on a better item -- instead of the cheap brand + $80 warranty, you could buy a more reputable brand.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those extended warranty's must favor the "house" or they would not be available. Once in a while someone wins just to keep the game going. There is no free lunch.
    lean forward

banned
    Jan 2012
    Extended warranty is just the same as Malossi race plugs, Its nonsense, TV's are something diffrent than white goods, the latter doesn't last as long as a TV.

Big Boy
    bought the cheapest 32 inch lcd flat screen i could find in 2007 (element for $500) and it just went out last week. so it lasted about 5 years.

But, that was the cheapest tv they had. And, warranty wouldnt have done any good. I typically always buy the warranty, but I'm quickly changing that. I haven't ever used one. Except on my truck. I had one warranty claim at the 4 year mark. The parts and labor totaled about $700....the warranty cost me $1800. Never again!!!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    bought the cheapest 32 inch lcd flat screen i could find in 2007 (element for $500) and it just went out last week. so it lasted about 5 years.

But, that was the cheapest tv they had. And, warranty wouldnt have done any good. I typically always buy the warranty, but I'm quickly changing that. I haven't ever used one. Except on my truck. I had one warranty claim at the 4 year mark. The parts and labor totaled about $700....the warranty cost me $1800. Never again!!!
    Case by case basis my friend. My dad bought an extended warranty on his 03 corvette when he purchased it in 2010. $2800 Warranty. The first trip into the shop was a bearing and seal in the rear differential going out along with a drivers side seat motor. Parts and labor at list prices came to almost $3600. He payed $100 deductible and was on his way. Worth the money in that case.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Case by case basis my friend. My dad bought an extended warranty on his 03 corvette when he purchased it in 2010. $2800 Warranty. The first trip into the shop was a bearing and seal in the rear differential going out along with a drivers side seat motor. Parts and labor at list prices came to almost $3600. He payed $100 deductible and was on his way. Worth the money in that case.
    Of course he could have just bought a more reliable car to begin with and not needed the warrantee ...

Big Boy
    Im not saying that they are never worth it. But for me, they never have been. The retailer is going to get the best of the deal the majority of the time, or else they wouldnt offer them at all.

Stores/dealerships sell them because they make money.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Of course he could have just bought a more reliable car to begin with and not needed the warrantee ...
    Corvettes arent exactly known to be unreliable. His 02 corvette went 34k miles without anything but tires and regular maintence. The only reason he bought an 03 in 2010 is he wanted the anniversary edition convertible. With its whopping 17k miles.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Corvettes arent exactly known to be unreliable. His 02 corvette went 34k miles without anything but tires and regular maintence. The only reason he bought an 03 in 2010 is he wanted the anniversary edition convertible. With its whopping 17k miles.
    34k is not even broken in ... my Subaru has 172k hard miles and counting and it's been savagely beat run on jeep trails in the Sierra.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well in that case. My 02 Camaro with the same drivetrain as the vette has 121k, my friends 04 corvette has 212,000 miles on the same drivetrain. I was making a singular case point about extended warranties being worth the money in some cases. Not debating the reliability of a particular make and model.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Basically you're buying insurance; but it if buy a reliable product than it unneeded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There's actually a great deal of consumer research on this topic and to save you the time of looking it all up, the answer is that statistically speaking, extended warranties on consumer electronics are not worth it. Generally, if the product is going to fail, it will fail in the period covered by the original manufacturer's warranty. That won't be very relevant to you when your TV fails at day 366 but that's what the statistics bear out.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    34k is not even broken in ... my Subaru has 172k hard miles and counting and it's been savagely beat run on jeep trails in the Sierra.
    That's cuz' Subaru's are built like tanks

(On my 2nd )
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    That's cuz' Subaru's are built like tanks

(On my 2nd )
    We also have another. The only thing that lasts longer are those super basic Toyota trucks with hose out floors and no radios. My friend has one with 340k and it still has the original clutch!

Members who have read this thread: 0