evil insects and other creepy crawly things- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

evil insects and other creepy crawly things

I work in commercial landscape doing mostly irrigation. the things you find in valve boxes in the desert are rather scary from time to time. not just the fact that you do not always know what is in the valve box before you open it, but once you know something is in there you most likely have to put your hands in there next. The most scary thing is got to be killer bees. they love valve boxes. usually you can see them coming and going before you open it. but if you dont know and you open it up, RUN.

I came across a valve that was stuck on the other day and as usual it was full of cockroaches. I then saw what looked like a dead scorpion with ants crawling on it. Nope. it was a scorpion covered in babies. I flicked it with a stick and it landed into a black widow web in the same box. as it landed it woke up the spider and the fight ensued. I got a few pics and a video of the battle. The black widow won the fight, even missing a few legs.

here is the scorpion and the video of the battle. unfortunately my phone would not stay focused.

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-scorpions.jpg

I have other cool scary looking insects around my house. Im trying to catch a camel spider. I have seen a few running around the yard at night. anybody got any cool insect pictures or trail finds ?
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Pipe Dreamer
    Crazy! How big was the spider?

I started a thread a while back called 'Off Camber Creatures', but it was right around the time that imgur pics stopped working and it died. I'll see if I have any insect pics I can post.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Wasn't that big. Maybe 1-1.5 inches across

Meatbomb
    I get the heeby jeebys anytime I have to open my valve boxes. Things like that make me squeal like a little girl.

I've been stung by a scorpion twice and it hurts! Feels like you re being shocked.

mtbr member
    I've never been stung by a scorpion, not sure how I would react. I'm allergic to a fair amount of insects lucily not bees.

Meatbomb
    I got stung 14 times by yellow jackets and that put me in the hospital on adrenaline for 3 days. Scorpion hurt but not much allergic reactions.

mtbr member
    here is another lovely little guy. maybe about 3in across. Camel or sun spider in my garage

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-img_20170521_163743880.jpg

mtbr member
    Those poor babies lost their mother!!!

I have some good scorpion pics but they are on Photobucket so I'll have to sort that out first.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    here is another lovely little guy. maybe about 3in across. Camel or sun spider in my garage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170521_163743880.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1145727
    Luckily they are harmless to humans
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    I work in commercial landscape doing mostly irrigation. the things you find in valve boxes in the desert are rather scary from time to time. not just the fact that you do not always know what is in the valve box before you open it, but once you know something is in there you most likely have to put your hands in there next. The most scary thing is got to be killer bees. they love valve boxes. usually you can see them coming and going before you open it. but if you dont know and you open it up, RUN.

I came across a valve that was stuck on the other day and as usual it was full of cockroaches. I then saw what looked like a dead scorpion with ants crawling on it. Nope. it was a scorpion covered in babies. I flicked it with a stick and it landed into a black widow web in the same box. as it landed it woke up the spider and the fight ensued. I got a few pics and a video of the battle. The black widow won the fight, even missing a few legs.

here is the scorpion and the video of the battle. unfortunately my phone would not stay focused.

Name:	scorpions.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1145546

I have other cool scary looking insects around my house. Im trying to catch a camel spider. I have seen a few running around the yard at night. anybody got any cool insect pictures or trail finds ?
    That's quite the meal!

Crashed my dirtbike into a hornets nest when I was kid. Got stung on my neck, face, and head 40 times before I could get my helmet off. Luckily I was close to home but man that sucked.

I rather enjoy insects & will still flip rocks to see what I can find when I'm in an interesting area. The other day while having a trailside poo (it happens) I saw an enormous millipede. I mean this thing was the size of a small snake. Never seen anything like it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

High Desert MTBer
    I worked for the Scorps for almost 20 years... now I find em dead in my pool.
    It's all Here. Now.

T.W.O.
    This feisty preying mantis was attacking my golf ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    LOL
    He probably thought it was his space ship.

They're a menacing looking creature. They always reminded me of an alian. Few insects gave me the willies as a kid but for some reason a Praying Mantis did.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    They're a menacing looking creature. They always reminded me of an alian. Few insects gave me the willies as a kid but for some reason a Praying Mantis did.
    I believe it's one of the very few insect that can eat mammals. I saw a vid of a preying mantis snatching a bird mid flight. As for this one, it was no match to my golf ball I rolled the ball over it, it died instantly.

Just kidding. It was trying to snapping my fingers off when I tried to mark the ball.

mtbr member
    another really scary looking but harmless find in my back yard.
    Whip Scorpion
    evil insects and other creepy crawly things-whiptail.jpg
    he was about 3in across.

there was another larger spider running around but I have no idea what it was, it was moving too fast. Had a decent size body, maybe a little bigger than my thumb, long spindly legs but not hairy. Was a light tan color. Maybe a large crab spider. It took off and ran up the wall. Since we just got our first rain in almost 100 days everything is coming out for the water.

mtbr member
    These things give me the creeps. I don't mind lizards and snakes but no insects for me please, I try to leave them alone in hope they do the same for me.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

One ring to mash them all
    I've seen these around my place occasionally. House centipede.

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-1400945316090.jpeg
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    I try not to wander too far from my house at night. It's very dark being away from the city and bordering national forest and hills there are all kinds of things out there. Always find something new running, crawling, or slithering around.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I believe it's one of the very few insect that can eat mammals. I saw a vid of a preying mantis snatching a bird mid flight. As for this one, it was no match to my golf ball I rolled the ball over it, it died instantly.

Just kidding. It was trying to snapping my fingers off when I tried to mark the ball.

Praying Mantises are evil. They suck the brain out of their live victims.

By the way it’s “Praying” not “Preying”.

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-a5bb7be6-aa24-43b2-bd3a-40cf50d9e112.jpg
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I love when you find baby praying mantis. They look just like a full grown but sure tiny and still act like jerks and try and fight.

well mannered lout
    Nothing more creepy than ticks....here's some sucking the blood out of the head of a snake!

Name:  yuck.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  25.4 KB

mtbr member
    Ticks make me puke. leeches don't bother me but ticks yuk. We had a rescue husky years ago. We pulled more than 100 ticks from her. Yuk.

Ticks make me puke. leeches don't bother me but ticks yuk. We had a rescue husky years ago. We pulled more than 100 ticks from her. Yuk.
    Grody, the ticks that is. When I was a kid in upstate NY we used to get covered in leeches in the lakes ponds. Nothing a little salt poured on them didn’t cure. Or the cherry end of a lit cigarette.

well mannered lout
    Mojo wife opened a box from Amazon last night....cosmetics or something.....and this yummy colony of ants and larva

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-img_0958.jpg

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I've seen these around my place occasionally. House centipede.

Name:	1400945316090.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	1204248
    Yeah, we never had those at our old house but have lots at our new one for some reason. I mostly leave them alone if they are in the basement but if they come upstairs, they're getting smushed.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Any of y'all heard of the tick born illness that's becoming more common that gives you an allergy to basically any and all mammal based products (meat, dairy, anything produced with byproducts)? I've got a coworker with that allergy and know a couple of people with it. Crazy stuff.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    dang

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Any of y'all heard of the tick born illness that's becoming more common that gives you an allergy to basically any and all mammal based products (meat, dairy, anything produced with byproducts)? I've got a coworker with that allergy and know a couple of people with it. Crazy stuff.

Yep, that would be Lymes Desease, something our government says doesn't exists and hence doesn't fund treatment for. Bit of a worry because the Aussie bush is full of ticks.

9 lives
    evil insects and other creepy crawly things-36561168_10216175045391795_6909731261112123392_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Yep, that would be Lymes Desease, something our government says doesn't exists and hence doesn't fund treatment for. Bit of a worry because the Aussie bush is full of ticks.
    No, it's not Lyme. It's called alpha-gal syndrome. The tick that causes it (in the US, at least) doesn't carry Lyme disease.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ple/415809001/

Congratulations! It exists in Australia, too!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20428608

Fortunately, since it's an allergy and not a pathogen, people's responses to it will vary. Somewhat like poison ivy. I'm lucky with that one - I don't react much to it.

It's not QUITE like that. The dairy allergy is a rather rare one. Usually it's just red meat.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It's not QUITE like that. The dairy allergy is a rather rare one. Usually it's just red meat.
    Oh, wow. Everyone I know who has it basically can't consume anything made from mammals. But my sample size is pretty small and restricted to people who got it in Missouri.

And what government says that Lyme disease doesn't exist?

dang

since 4/10/2009
    Oh, wow. Everyone I know who has it basically can't consume anything made from mammals. But my sample size is pretty small and restricted to people who got it in Missouri.
    You hear quite often about people in NC who come down with this, but the dairy allergy part is pretty rare. Interestingly enough, I've been bitten by more lone star ticks than any other species (from my time in TX). No alpha-gal syndrome for me (yet). The ticks I've been finding in Pisgah have been dog ticks.

And what government says that Lyme disease doesn't exist?

There's significant debate about what's often referred to as "chronic Lyme" and many officials argue that it's not a thing. He could also be referring to the fact that Aus officials deny the disease is present in that country. It's entirely possible. The abstract of this scientific paper does not mention Lyme disease as occurring in Australia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28403767

But it also seems like this is the ONLY paper surveying tick-borne bacteria/diseases in Australia, so it seems the research is SORELY lacking on the subject. This is likely the issue that emu is talking about. There does seem to be some as-yet unidentified disease there that may be tick-borne. Wouldn't surprise me. Researchers are still identifying more in the US, too. And there absolutely are multiple Borrelia bacteria species that cause Lyme-like diseases around the world.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...8e73c1250792b8

9 lives
    Ant face under an Electron microscope... I'm glad all of this isn't visible on our scale

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-ccvknqsfsi911.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I’d be screaming like a little girl.

mtbr member
    found this little gem today in a valve box. he reach in there and check the valve. uh NO!
    evil insects and other creepy crawly things-img_20190528_111241460_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Cool!
    But yeah, don't want that on me by surprise.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I didn't know spiders carried their babies like scorpions

There isn't a can of Raid big enough.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    There's all sorts of nasty insect fight all over YouTube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    There's all sorts of nasty insect fight all over YouTube.
    like this one I took in a valve box

mtbr member
    insects for the most part give me the creeps, some are cool like spiders and scorpions but only when they are outside and not on me.

mtbr member
    i will never forget when we had a camel spider(sun spider) in my wife's bathroom. they are scary as hell looking but beneficial. it ran across her foot, she screamed. I came in and hit it with my shoe. it popped like a water balloon. so gross.

here is a little one 2" in my garage
    evil insects and other creepy crawly things-img_20170521_163743880.jpg

found this little gem today in a valve box. he reach in there and check the valve. uh NO!

Name:	IMG_20190528_111241460_HDR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	1257093
    I found a close up view for ya.

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-f228eeba-1bc1-4684-bbe9-96f6c44f4133.jpeg

mtbr member
    looks like the dude

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails evil insects and other creepy crawly things-jeff-bridges-teased-return-dude-2-7754-1548361532-0_dblbig.jpg  

Lol, yep!

mtbr member
    my favorite spiders are jumping spiders. they are really cute and fun to play with. I had one sit on top of my computer monitor for a while one day. he sat there watching the world go by. He would go back and forth from one end to the other.

evil insects and other creepy crawly things-friendly-jumping-spider.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    my favorite spiders are jumping spiders. they are really cute and fun to play with. I had one sit on top of my computer monitor for a while one day. he sat there watching the world go by. He would go back and forth from one end to the other.

Name:	friendly-jumping-spider.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1257133
    Lol! They're also really aggressive. Seen one try to kill its reflection in a mirror.
    dang

Lol! They're also really aggressive. Seen one try to kill its reflection in a mirror.
    Can ya blame him? If my reflection looked like that it would be game on.

I agree funny little critters.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Can ya blame him? If my reflection looked like that it would be game on.

I agree funny little critters.
    You should look up videos of their aggressive dance behavior

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

I had seen there was an old post about bugs, there was little things that bug you, but not quite a bug topic. We have shrooms and botany, so here is a bug thread. All types of insects. what have you found?

Found this guy running down my driveway when I went to get the mail. He was on a mission. No idea what it was, thank you google. It is a Iron Cross Blister Beetle, Tegrodera aloga. Never seen one before.

It is the season for things to be coming out around my house. Only a few tarantulas so far, two tailless scorpions, and a tiny sun spider.
    Wow! What a way to start a thread. That's a pretty neat little guy. If I see a tick hanging off a blade of grass I'll drop a pic in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    That's pretty cool. I love bugs and have always been fascinated by them. Brought a rather large beetle home from camping I discovered in my van today. No pics though.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    I've seen a different species of Blister Beetle here in So cal this Spring. Nasty vermin!
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    As a rule I hate these ****ers, but they're actually good to have around as they eat other pests.

House centipede a.k.a. Scutigera:

Attachment 1332507
    Lol

Pipe Dreamer
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Now it’s really getting creepy.

mtbr member
    Must have been some mtbr forum crap that the search wasn't working.... Probably has some bugs in it