Entomology. Bugs and things- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Entomology. Bugs and things

I had seen there was an old post about bugs, there was little things that bug you, but not quite a bug topic. We have shrooms and botany, so here is a bug thread. All types of insects. what have you found?

Found this guy running down my driveway when I went to get the mail. He was on a mission. No idea what it was, thank you google. It is a Iron Cross Blister Beetle, Tegrodera aloga. Never seen one before.

It is the season for things to be coming out around my house. Only a few tarantulas so far, two tailless scorpions, and a tiny sun spider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Entomology. Bugs and things-img_20200512_163349036_burst000_cover_top.jpg  

Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Wow! What a way to start a thread. That's a pretty neat little guy. If I see a tick hanging off a blade of grass I'll drop a pic in here.
    dang

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I had seen there was an old post about bugs, there was little things that bug you, but not quite a bug topic. We have shrooms and botany, so here is a bug thread.
    So now Iím confused on where to post bug shots. Your old thread or your new one. I say we bump the old one. I almost did just the other day coincidentally.

https://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-o...s-1049873.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    That's pretty cool. I love bugs and have always been fascinated by them. Brought a rather large beetle home from camping I discovered in my van today. No pics though.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I've seen a different species of Blister Beetle here in So cal this Spring. Nasty vermin!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

One ring to mash them all
    As a rule I hate these ****ers, but they're actually good to have around as they eat other pests.

House centipede a.k.a. Scutigera:

Entomology. Bugs and things-scutigera.jpg
    "Thousands of you may dieÖit is what it is." - Lord Farkwad

Real eyes realize real lies.

Bugs Rock!
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    As a rule I hate these ****ers, but they're actually good to have around as they eat other pests.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scutigera.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	1332507
    We have those here as well. Very creepy!

Rabid Lana Fan
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

That is an awesome photo Net. I looked it up, Itís a Red Paper Wasp.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Have you guys heard about the arrival of the Asian Wasp in Washington? It's a 2" long wasp that bites the heads off of bees.

I filmed this last summer. A Hummingbird Hawk Moth and a Broadtail Hummingbird compete for the same food.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Have you guys heard about the arrival of the Asian Wasp in Washington? It's a 2" long wasp that bites the heads off of bees.
    Murder Hornets?

Pipe Dreamer
    Mantis don't care.

This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Yes, thatís itís job. They find honey bee hives and wait outside the hive. Every bee that exits or enters gets its head chopped off. Iíve known about them for years, now all of a sudden they end up in the states some how and what does Amurca nickname them? ďMurder HornetsĒ. They donít murder people. It would take multiple stings to kill a human. They arenít like Africanized bees that attack sending pheromones out for the swarm to follow suit and sting. All they care about is taking over bee hives. Once they kill all the bees they eat the larva inside. It is a bad thing they are here though. They will decimate the honeybee populations if unchecked. Which leads to all plants being pollenated and thriving.

Edit: Hereís their mission in life. Watch and be amazed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Mantis don't care.
    I love that Mantis video. A couple of years ago I found this one in my front yard chowing down on a spider.

Entomology. Bugs and things-8776657804_d42ca09f5f_b.jpg

Praying Mantises are lethal: https://www.newsweek.com/animal-vide...-brains-633684

Sucking out the rich in protein brains of their victims. Eating them while they are still alive.

Have you ever stopped and really looked at them. So alien like, their head resembles that of what humans have described aliens look like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I filmed this last summer. A Hummingbird Hawk Moth and a Broadtail Hummingbird compete for the same food.

That is awesome! I love our hummingbirds, and I love seeing butterflies & moths in our gardens. I'm a nature fanboi.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Anyone else release in-home bugs into the out of doors? My family has learned that I'll grab any errant spiders or others, and let them outside. Those little fugging gnats are one exception, though....blech.

mtbr member
    I have spent many years and tens of thousands of dollars on materials, tools, equipment, vehicles and travel dedicated to the process of creating replicas of insects (and other aquatic and non-aquatic invertebrates), and delivering these life size replicas over long distances with near pinpoint accuracy back into the aquatic home in which their real life counterparts inhabit.Entomology. Bugs and things-mayfly.jpg
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Some random bugs/arachnids from my rides.

walking stick, hags head moth caterpillar (AKA Monkey Slug) and a couple spiders with what looks like skulls on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Entomology. Bugs and things-img_4064.jpeg  

Entomology. Bugs and things-img_6711.jpg  

Entomology. Bugs and things-img_8583.jpg  

Entomology. Bugs and things-img_9354.jpg  

AreBee

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Just to keep this thread going here's a few of my favorite bug shots.

Theme of the first bunch: Predation!

Entomology. Bugs and things-6817479604_de4413b1ae_b.jpg

Entomology. Bugs and things-8776310574_b773bbe4ca_b.jpg

Entomology. Bugs and things-8777003252_af3b939150_b.jpg

Entomology. Bugs and things-8776469142_e84ce7f124_b.jpg

Entomology. Bugs and things-8770111839_c396b46bdb_h.jpg

Rabid Lana Fan
    Nice shots!

Up In Smoke
    Mud Dauber

There was a nest in my backyard, at first I was freaking out but it turns out they're more interested in spiders than humans.

Entomology. Bugs and things-mud-dauber.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Anyone else release in-home bugs into the out of doors? My family has learned that I'll grab any errant spiders or others, and let them outside. Those little fugging gnats are one exception, though....blech.
    Spiders, large moths and bees ó yes.

I set up a little bowl with a mix of apple cider vinegar, sugar and a drop of dish detergent to catch the gnats & fruit flies. We get most of our produce from farmers markets so those little pests are in the house pretty frequently.

Cycologist

We have those and as I've explained before, if they stay in the basement I pretty much leave them alone. If they come upstairs it's a different story.

I have seen some little baby ones less than a centimeter long and have to admit, they're pretty cute.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Wow, some amazing photography all. Keep them coming.

Up In Smoke
    I always liked this photo but I wish I hadn't used the filter.

Entomology. Bugs and things-dfly.jpg

mtbr member
    Invest 2:27 of your time in this one, fascinating.

https://youtu.be/KxHckvpbopQ

mtbr member
    Thatís pretty cool stuff WHALENARD.

Fantastic shots wayold.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    I was out cleaning up my neighbors yard for her yesterday and in certain areas there were tons of bees. But they were not like regular bees. they were a bit larger and only flying a few inches over the ground. They were not aggressive and were interested in the dead weeds I was mowing down. I looked them up and they appear to be desert digger bees.

https://askabiologist.asu.edu/explor...rt-digger-bees

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I really like that one WHALENARD.

I was lucky enough to be involved in a captive breeding program for endangered butterflies a while ago and got this shot of one just climbing out of its coccon:

Entomology. Bugs and things-8777141708_0f63ad9eab_h.jpg

mtbr member
    ^That's cool Wayold, and awesome shot! One thing I'm seeing more and more of is school aged kids getting involved with captive breeding of endangered butterflies, moths, etc. They really get charged up and excited through the hands on process. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Way cool, way old. We did that here (well, my wife did, ) with a Monarch sanctuary, but the downstairs tenant poisoned them, and then the following year, parasitic wasps found our little patch, so one Monarch recovery station is gone.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Scutigera, eh. We call them "skitter bugs". Cats love 'em.
    Just call me Ray

Pipe Dreamer
    Speaking of Monarchs...

I've got video of these guys fighting, maybe I'll see if I can figure out uploading to U-Toob.

This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Who has eaten bugs, fear factor style?

Its an extra source of protein dont you know!

mtbr member

Caught this in my living room. 8Ē long and the body excluding legs was about 1Ē

Another one outside my house. The house was infested with scorpions which were hard to see. These centipedes are easy to spot and eat scorpions, so I let them go.

This was crawling on my wife on a bike ride.

These were just off the trail on a recent ride.

This was on my wifeís bike.

Didnít notice this giant nest while doing trail work. They swarmed me and I was stung several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Coke, where the heck do you live? Not house companions I'd want to snuggle up to exactly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Coke, where the heck do you live? Not house companions I'd want to snuggle up to exactly.

The centipedes and scorpions were in Oklahoma. I had a house on a wooded rocky 5 acres. I used to use UV lights to catch the scorpions, and Iíd estimate there were over 200 in the couple years I was there.

The scariest encounter was when a scorpion was crawling on my bare chest at night in bed.

Plenty of black widows, tarantulas, brown recluse, and other fun stuff too lol.

Off topic but there was a 50Ē copperhead at the same house.

Had a tarantula hawk at another house. Basically a giant wasp. I havenít seen many in my life, but unfortunately I donít have a picture.

mtbr member
    I wonder what's more painful, a tarantula hawk or murder hornet?
    Didn't realize Oklahoma was so rough. Copper heads, scorpions, and tranchulas, oh my

Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    The centipedes and scorpions were in Oklahoma. I had a house on a wooded rocky 5 acres. I used to use UV lights to catch the scorpions, and Iíd estimate there were over 200 in the couple years I was there.

The scariest encounter was when a scorpion was crawling on my bare chest at night in bed.

Plenty of black widows, tarantulas, brown recluse, and other fun stuff too lol.

Off topic but there was a 50Ē copperhead at the same house.

Had a tarantula hawk at another house. Basically a giant wasp. I havenít seen many in my life, but unfortunately I donít have a picture.

I got stung by a Tarantula Hawk. Worst pain Iíve ever felt. Iíve been stung by multiple species of bees, wasps and hornets and nothing even came close to the pain I felt from the Tarantula Hawk. I stepped on one in the sand barefoot. Sent me to my knees and then straight to the emergency room. I didnít know it at the time [around 1995] but years later I found out they are ranked #2 of the most painful stings to humans of all insects.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    scorpions
    People love the taste of scorpions, makes ya wonder if its a flavor onto its own.

I will pass on eating spiders, scorpions and any bugs of any sort.

"Despite the similarities, there are significant differences between spiders and scorpions. Spiders have a pair of fangs that they use to inject venom. Scorpions lack fangs but instead have a stinger located at the end of their tail to inject venom. Scorpions also have a pair of pinchers which are modified pedipalps. Spiders lack pinchers of any kind. Scorpions lack spinnerets and therefore do not produce silk, whereas spiders do."

mtbr member
    Someone in the 'hood has purchased some praying manti for local release and asked the neighbors (via that app) to not kill them. Just trying to replenish low numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Someone in the 'hood has purchased some praying manti for local release and asked the neighbors (via that app) to not kill them. Just trying to replenish low numbers...
    They are excellent bug control for a garden. Some plant nurseries even sell packs of 100ís of baby ones meant to be released into a garden meant for that purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    They are excellent bug control for a garden. Some plant nurseries even sell packs of 100ís of baby ones meant to be released into a garden meant for that purpose.
    We may have to raise a flock ourselves to tend to our gardens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Found this little guy in the backyard yesterday. Still only a nymph about 1 cm long, but hopefully he and his siblings will grow into bug eating monsters over the next few months:

PS. I initially thought it was a female mantis, but then read up on mantis sexing. Apparently the boys have more abdominal segments than the girls and my houseguest appears to be a boy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Entomology. Bugs and things-img_1802-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    People love the taste of scorpions, makes ya wonder if its a flavor onto its own.

I will pass on eating spiders, scorpions and any bugs of any sort.
    I ate a scorpion once that was roasted. Tasted like a stale glazed donut. I have heard that tarantulas taste like king crab. I don't eat crab or tarantulas.

We have tarantula hawks all over around our house. they are fun to watch running around all over, going in and out of holes looking for the spiders.

This thread bugs me.

Cycologist
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar???

Entomology. Bugs and things-leaf_eater.jpg

Redbud seedling, he can have those.

EDIT: a little googling: Leaf Cutter Bees. Important pollinators!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    wayold, you take some fantastic pictures, some of the best Iíve seen on MTBR.

Cool shot chazpat!
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    We have tarantula hawks all over around our house. they are fun to watch running around all over, going in and out of holes looking for the spiders.
    Those are the "I'll rip off your head and shit down your throat" hornets. Takes the fun out of bombing down a hill when those things are buzzing around. Thankfully they're not aggressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

EDIT: a little googling: Leaf Cutter Bees. Important pollinators!
    Those are really fun to watch. They really like bougainvillea around my parts. They also like to fill the grounds on outdoor outlets with cuttings. We put a little bee house out for them to stop doing that. It's like a little house full of bamboo stalks.

Millions of cicadas are expected to emerge after 17 years underground because, of course, it's 2020

Coronavirus, murder hornets, and now a zombie cicada-pocalypse.

mtbr member

There is a silver lining.
    Last hatch put 15 fish in the freezer. All landed in a 30 minute feeding frenzy as fast as I could bait the hooks with Ďem.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    its going to be so loud.

Velvet Ant AKA Cow Killer
    Entomology. Bugs and things-velvet.jpg
    They are not actually an ant but a wasp. The are called ants because the female are flightless run around like ants. This one was all over the place thats why I couldn't get a good pic. I guess they have an incredibly painful sting thus cow killer. My neighbor's horse was stung by one and it fell over and and just rolled all over the ground for about 30 min.