Elevate Your Mind- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Elevate Your Mind

Current events along with taking care of elderly loved ones is a pretty good catalyst for reflection. Gotta make adjustments all the time. Getting older clarifies the reality even more. It’s a good habit to develop some regular infusion of positive thought to counter the negative waves.
    Learn to count the blessing all around. Appreciate the simple things.

It’s good for you.

And the alternative may just drive you Crazy....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suggests.html
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Look if being negative leads to dementia, then I'm screwed. History of Alzheimer's in the family, grouchy bastard...

However more important than just thinking positive thoughts is the ability to develop a sense of empathy, which I see is often lacking and which provides fuel for my overwhelming negativity. Considering current events, I've been pretty damn sad lately.
    dang

mtbr member
    Hard to beat exercise and communing with nature which we should all have in spades. Blueberries are damn good for your brain. Learning new things is great for your brain too, especially things that involve hand-eye coordination. Sleep's a huge factor as well.

One thing I currently struggle with is monotonous repetitive stuff all day that's not mentally engaging in a positive challenging way, AKA having a job. No doubt this leads to mental fatigue and stress that spills over into every other aspect of my life. I guess as they say, balance is everything and I need to work on finding more.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Physical and even mental well being is one thing.
    Expanding your mind is something else. You won’t get there or even start to when you trap yourself.
    Round and round we go

No known cure
    When things 'look' like they're becoming too serious, go sit in the sun for a bit and sing the row your boat song. Life is a dream. Go live that dream life.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Eat some shrooms.

well mannered lout
    Bickering with folks on the forums gives me a sense of empowerment....never gets old.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by whalenard View Post
    eat some shrooms.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using tapatalk
    ok.

High Desert MTBer
    Some sound advice Even the 'shrooms... I have been forced to limit my everything for a time, but good stuff can still be found in small attainable things.

Sitting in the waning day watching the sunset from the patio.
    Reading an enlightening text.
    Managing to walk around the block without calling for a pickup.
    Administering the F'bok group I started "Tucson Viral Kindness" which posts up positive and uplifting stories.
    Finding those stories to post up
    Listening to Thich Nhat Hanh's meditations.

There's plenty!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Emerson Aurelius works wonders.

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.

The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Some sound advice Even the 'shrooms... I have been forced to limit my everything for a time, but good stuff can still be found in small attainable things.

Sitting in the waning day watching the sunset from the patio.
    Reading an enlightening text.
    Managing to walk around the block without calling for a pickup.
    Administering the F'bok group I started "Tucson Viral Kindness" which posts up positive and uplifting stories.
    Finding those stories to post up
    Listening to Thich Nhat Hanh's meditations.

There's plenty!
    Ah man you are in Tucson? Lived there for 18 years before moving to Seattle. Really nice place to live. I really miss the desert, the flora and fauna. Don't miss living my entire live in air conditioned spaces, cool in the summer and heated in the winter and the riding was so different than here in the PNW. Also tortillas. I could sit all day and just watch the cactus wrens hunt lizards, or the sky, so blue and ethereal.

When all this is done, head over the east side, broadway and pantano and hit up La Mesa Tortilla factory for me and grab a pack of hot fresh flour tortillas off the press, then walk next door to La Baguette french bakery and grab a fresh baguette outta their steam injection ovens, then head over to Oreganos and get an oregano salad with a tall beer. That'd be a perfect day on the eastside of Tucson. Especially if it started with a lap around Fantasy Island.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Ah man you are in Tucson? Lived there for 18 years before moving to Seattle. Really nice place to live. I really miss the desert, the flora and fauna. Don't miss living my entire live in air conditioned spaces, cool in the summer and heated in the winter and the riding was so different than here in the PNW. Also tortillas. I could sit all day and just watch the cactus wrens hunt lizards, or the sky, so blue and ethereal.

When all this is done, head over the east side, broadway and pantano and hit up La Mesa Tortilla factory for me and grab a pack of hot fresh flour tortillas off the press, then walk next door to La Baguette french bakery and grab a fresh baguette outta their steam injection ovens, then head over to Oreganos and get an oregano salad with a tall beer. That'd be a perfect day on the eastside of Tucson. Especially if it started with a lap around Fantasy Island.
    Tucson indeed! I love it here, but cannot go out in the sun any more without good covering. When it ain't over 100F it is so beautiful. As you say, the skies, the wildlife, all of that is simply wonderful. I used to ride the Tortolitas behind me here all day long and never tire Every time I went out I'd see something new and amazing, and still do now.

Once this is done, your plan sounds pretty amazing, but I do not drink any more, so the beer will have to stay in the pump.

I just cannot wait to be able to ride again.
    It's all Here. Now.

Trail Ninja
    I have trouble taking that site seriously, so I looked up the source and found this: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/jun/...-dementia-risk

Summed up: depression and anxiety are factors in developing Alzheimer's. A survey conducted on 292 people, aged 55+ at high risk of Alzheimer's, asked questions about if they thought deeply of the past and were worried about the future, summed up as repetitive negative thoughts (RNT). They were measured for depression and anxiety symptoms and their cognitive function was assessed, measuring memory, attention, spatial cognition, and language. Some (113) then went under PET brain scans to measure tau and amyloid build-up (proteins that cause the most common form of dementia, Alzheimer's).

The researchers found that people who exhibited higher RNT patterns experienced more cognitive decline over a four-year period, and declines in memory (which is among the earlier signs of Alzheimer’s disease), and they were more likely to have amyloid and tau deposits in their brain.

These findings encouraged Alzheimer's Society chief (UK charity org) to call to research this further.

IMO, just reminds me of Buddhist wisdom, regarding the importance of mental stability/balance for health.

I must ask, for the sake of rhetoric: what are the symptoms of giving into despair?
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know

OK.
    I know this.
    When it is dark enough you can see the stars, and the happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.

mtbr member
    I must ask, for the sake of rhetoric: what are the symptoms of giving into despair?
    There are none.

None at all.

mtbr member
    Now it’s doctor oz
    Round and round we go

Keep on Rockin...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    OK.
    I know this.
    When it is dark enough you can see the stars, and the happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.
    Ha, can't say I've read much Marcus Aurelius and not sure where I stand on the whole stoicism thing. I've read just about everything in print about Emerson, Thoreau, Whitman, and Smith though. To be on a fly on the wall in Concord during those days, oh man.

Pipe Dreamer
    Sometimes I sits and thinks...

Sometimes I just sits.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Trail Ninja
    There are none.

None at all.
    Are there not usually behavioral patterns to be found? Like a complete change in attitude that is non conformist, in this case?

Gotta get a hint that there's a problem before someone will admit it and act to fix things, such as the process leading to it. Some might not be so willing to accept lecturing/advice on how to healthily live, feeling that it's troublesome for someone else to be dictating their lives, judging them as inferior for not conforming like sheep. They might feel like they've been doing is not abnormal/wrong and cite that others found success with such an attitude too.

I say that judging things as negative in the first place is part of the process that needs fixing. Categorizing things as positive or negative, or into other groupings, is a pattern that can be improved on to not be as lazy and more appreciative of the details. Things judged as negative are too easily dismissed, especially unfairly when judged based on stereotypes or initial impressions.

mtbr member
    Ha, can't say I've read much Marcus Aurelius and not sure where I stand on the whole stoicism thing.
    Here is an excellent, easy sample.
    You will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5E2AQKuCyU

Emerson was a fan.
    https://medium.com/stoicism-philosop...m-c7f77d8141fd

In fact, it occurs to me that Emerson directed me to Marcus.

mtbr member
    Excellent Post Miker, thanks.

On James Allen.....
    "He never wrote theories, or for the sake of writing; but he wrote when he had a message, and it became a message only when he had lived it out in his own life, and knew that it was good. Thus he wrote facts, which he had proven by practice."

I say that judging things as negative in the first place is part of the process that needs fixing. Categorizing things as positive or negative, or into other groupings, is a pattern that can be improved on to not be as lazy and more appreciative of the details. Things judged as negative are too easily dismissed, especially unfairly when judged based on stereotypes or initial impressions.
    If you cannot or more likely will not, recognize the difference, be prepared for the eventual lightning bolt produced by the imbalance.

Trail Ninja
    If you cannot or more likely will not, recognize the difference, be prepared for the eventual lightning bolt produced by the imbalance.
    The difference is based on societal consensus, or based on personal standards. It's totally made up. It's a waste of time to keep up with where the line is drawn. One tribe might draw the line more "strictly" than another. Doesn't seem like these groups seem like compromising on where it's drawn, sometimes willing to get violent to enforce their own belief.

I rather see things more wholly as reality dictates, rather than the interpretation from my own standards or society's standards. The interpretation tends to be based on oversimplified imagination, biased in some way. I see standards as only a way for people to know when they can stop self-improving, yet still be tolerated by society, and for people to use in order to judge others by.

Again, why judge and categorize in the first place? Is it not rude and lazy? Got a cognitive side of the brain that could be used instead of the lizard brained side.

I see things as they are and how they can improve from there, and how they can also fall from there. Can this behavior be judged as positive or negative? If it's not positive, then it's negative? Isn't this what people waste their time on social media doing, looking for validation for their own behavior, or just outright saying it's not wrong/bad and trying to normalize it by exposing it to people who didn't know its existence was real and so widespread so others grow into accepting it?

To answer my own question, regarding symptoms of giving into despair, I'd say something along the lines of changing one's attitude to "no more Mr. Nice Guy" is one symptom. Generally lacking trust in strangers and doing things, perhaps a bit unmoral (but not exactly illegal, esp if you see others getting away with doing the same), in order to help those in your small circle of trust. I imply that these symptoms could be part of the processes closer to the origin problem that leads to repetitive negative thoughts.

Duck Fonald
    I hate quotations.
    Quoted for truth.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

poser Administrator
    Tucson indeed! I love it here, but cannot go out in the sun any more without good covering. When it ain't over 100F it is so beautiful. As you say, the skies, the wildlife, all of that is simply wonderful. I used to ride the Tortolitas behind me here all day long and never tire Every time I went out I'd see something new and amazing, and still do now.

Once this is done, your plan sounds pretty amazing, but I do not drink any more, so the beer will have to stay in the pump.

I just cannot wait to be able to ride again.
    Their endless Ice tea is also the ticket after a good ride. I lived on the eastside so Oreganos was always a good stop for us on our way back from a big loop at Catalina state park, 50 year trail, or Starr Pass. We'd hit Chuy's on Catalina highway if we were riding out at reddington or doing any of the Mt lemmon loops (though I have seen the footage recently, and looks like it is having a big burn right now. That was always painful to see).

I never rode the Tortolitas much as it was just too big of slog to get out there from where I lived, unless we were doing the 24hrITOP which we did from its first year until 2013. We won the 5 man class once and came in 2nd and 3rd a couple of times back when it was smaller and we were younger. Good times that festival, did it one year when it started raining at 12pm on Saturday though Sunday at 9 am and at least twice when we woke up Saturday morning to snow on our tents plus a bunch of year where it was 85-90° all day.

Tucson is such a good little town! You will be back on your bike soon, we got your back!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    It's already a quote so like double or triple irony, I lost count.

High Desert MTBer
    Their endless Ice tea is also the ticket after a good ride. I lived on the eastside so Oreganos was always a good stop for us on our way back from a big loop at Catalina state park, 50 year trail, or Starr Pass. We'd hit Chuy's on Catalina highway if we were riding out at reddington or doing any of the Mt lemmon loops (though I have seen the footage recently, and looks like it is having a big burn right now. That was always painful to see).

I never rode the Tortolitas much as it was just too big of slog to get out there from where I lived, unless we were doing the 24hrITOP which we did from its first year until 2013. We won the 5 man class once and came in 2nd and 3rd a couple of times back when it was smaller and we were younger. Good times that festival, did it one year when it started raining at 12pm on Saturday though Sunday at 9 am and at least twice when we woke up Saturday morning to snow on our tents plus a bunch of year where it was 85-90° all day.

Tucson is such a good little town! You will be back on your bike soon, we got your back!
    Yeah the fires are getting a lot worse now. The Bighorn Fire on the west side of Pusch Ridge has now spread over 3000 acres, moving NE towards Pima Canyon and probably beyond. There is also 3500 acres burning just over to the NE side of the Tortolitas, which was said to be low in actual fire activity, but with the increased winds this morning, will likely be much larger soon.
    It is quite the spectacle watching the choppers and Very heavy Lift tankers dropping water and retardant on the extent of the burn, and that has become quite the spectator sport now with hundreds pf people lining up along Oracle to watch.
    Big problem too is the smoke. I woke at 4.30 am this morning and had to close all the windows as the house stank of smoke. Looking down over the valley and downtown, there is now a thick pall of smoke laid over it all.
    So far, I do not believe any trails are affected, but that could change with the wind. Suck a shame for the flora and fauna.
    It's all Here. Now.

poser Administrator
    Yeah the fires are getting a lot worse now. The Bighorn Fire on the west side of Pusch Ridge has now spread over 3000 acres, moving NE towards Pima Canyon and probably beyond. There is also 3500 acres burning just over to the NE side of the Tortolitas, which was said to be low in actual fire activity, but with the increased winds this morning, will likely be much larger soon.
    It is quite the spectacle watching the choppers and Very heavy Lift tankers dropping water and retardant on the extent of the burn, and that has become quite the spectator sport now with hundreds pf people lining up along Oracle to watch.
    Big problem too is the smoke. I woke at 4.30 am this morning and had to close all the windows as the house stank of smoke. Looking down over the valley and downtown, there is now a thick pall of smoke laid over it all.
    So far, I do not believe any trails are affected, but that could change with the wind. Suck a shame for the flora and fauna.
    Yeah I saw a video on reddit that had a serious low pass of a waterbomber at pusch ridge fire but can't link it because there is a profanity in the link and our dinosaur server can't distinguish between an url and a typed word.

Edit
    trying this: https://bit.ly/2A9UgQz

I recall many a fire day in Tucson over the years but the smoke was never as bad as in Seattle when BC burns. It gets so bad it is like Delhi or Beijing as far as pollution goes. The sun is a golden orb all day and it smells like being in a campfire for a couple of weeks. It is insane how bad it gets and how quickly air filters sell out.

Double edit: bitly links to amazing video of the low pas.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link rockcrusher! I know those pilots are badass at what they do but DAMN that was too close.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Thanks for the link rockcrusher! I know those pilots are badass at what they do but DAMN that was too close.
    No shit! Bet his pants needed changing after...
    It's all Here. Now.

All fat, all the time.
    Yikes that was close.

A couple years ago near Inkom Idaho a small fire at the bottom of a mountainside was starting to get bad and luckily they sent out a couple water bombers . Very cool to watch from so close.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    No shit! Bet his pants needed changing after...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yikes that was close.

A couple years ago near Inkom Idaho a small fire at the bottom of a mountainside was starting to get bad and luckily they sent out a couple water bombers . Very cool to watch from so close.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Check this one out (serious pucker factor): https://www.reddit.com/r/nonononoyes...ighting_plane/

Watch to the end and see the vortices. Warning: language.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

well mannered lout
    It's already a quote so like double or triple irony, I lost count.
    “ On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate this “

Scott O
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yeah I saw a video on reddit that had a serious low pass of a waterbomber at pusch ridge fire but can't link it because there is a profanity in the link and our dinosaur server can't distinguish between an url and a typed word.

Edit
    trying this: https://bit.ly/2A9UgQz

I recall many a fire day in Tucson over the years but the smoke was never as bad as in Seattle when BC burns. It gets so bad it is like Delhi or Beijing as far as pollution goes. The sun is a golden orb all day and it smells like being in a campfire for a couple of weeks. It is insane how bad it gets and how quickly air filters sell out.

Double edit: bitly links to amazing video of the low pas.
    And whatever you do, do NOT watch any of the the videos below the bomber plane. Not without some kleenex handy, anyway. There's still more good than bad among us.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

No known cure
    I've seen them fly the retardant dropping 747 like a fighter plane here in the San Bernardino Mountains. It's some swashbuckling shit when they drop in and tightly bank, rolling over to drop on a ridgeline, or dropping into a canyon.

mtbr member
    Reminds me of a movie I took the Wife to around 30 years ago.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Received this in the mail today.
    Thanks for the tip.....
    Elevate Your Mind-3c20eacb-9431-49b8-a356-a0a39e77255e.jpeg

High Desert MTBer
    Received this in the mail today.
    Thanks for the tip.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C20EACB-9431-49B8-A356-A0A39E77255E.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	1341181
    I am not the world's biggest fan altho he does say some good stuff. Bit too much of a God botherer for my tastes.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    A couple years ago near Inkom Idaho
    The home of Pebble Creek ski hill! Great terrain there, if you can hit it with decent snow its killer, lift ticket is $45 or so too.

mtbr member
    God botherer
    Lol, never heard that before. Stealing this.

mtbr member
    Lol, never heard that before. Stealing this.

Heritage Cite

mtbr member
    I watch the fire bombers all the time lately. We have a DC-10 doing the heavy work around here.

Elevate you mind? what if I just get really high?

Elevate Your Mind-img_0059.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post

Elevate you mind? what if I just get really high?

Close enough....
    Cottonwood Pass, a dusty old slide I took back around ‘99...Nearly same elevation as I recall, little over 12000 I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elevate Your Mind-untitled-64.jpg  

No known cure
    Close enough....
    Cottonwood Pass, a dusty old slide I took back around ‘99...Nearly same elevation as I recall, little over 12000 I think.
    Cottonwood out of Horseshoe Meadow?

mtbr member
    Elevate Your Mind-all-these-positive-waves-baby-we-cant-lose.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Between Buena Vista and Taylor Reservoir.....I should be able to find where I was standing when I took that picture....Here ya go, X marks the spot. Kinda neat pulling that up after all these years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elevate Your Mind-a92e796f-f09d-41cd-9204-d1bbceed862c.jpg