Earth:- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth:

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Makes me want to crawl back into bed sad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Pretty depressing. Sadly, I'm sure we will see much more of this, not sure much can be done to slow it down at this point.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    We'll have a global collapse due to over population and trash before the climate kills us.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    We'll have a global collapse due to over population and trash before the climate kills us.
    already happening...and many in denial about it are not doing anything to help...

I feel that even the smallest things that I do are a step in the right direction...we have actively reduced the amount of plastic we consume; I reuse as much material as possible via washing, and careful repackaging of stuff. We are trying to cut down on the amount of stuff we buy in general here at the house.

I reuse almost all of the glass containers we have in my quest to get rid of Ziplock bag usage for storage...we also have a ton of tupperware stuff that is probably 30+ years old that we use

It has taken me a good 5 years, but I have finally convinced my wife that buying food "in bulk" is not a good thing. Creates a ton of needless waste on all ends.

I have always been a "utility miser" : winter house temp is 65...summer is 70. I can get in and out of the shower in less than 5 minutes, and use only luke warm water anyways

In the past 2 years, have managed to get it to the point where I only roll the trash can out once a month...with 3 of us living here full time.

even small things count!!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    “And God blessed them, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over… every living thing that moveth upon the earth”

God, just to let you know, we pretty much suck at this. Can you take it back?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Meatbomb
    That is if we don't trip and fall off the edge first....

Nothing seems to kill me
    Yep, pretty sad and horrific. Like Str8edg I have been trying to limit my plastic trash. I bought a Berkey water filter that is capable of filtering 6000 gallons of tap water per set of filters. Along with several stainless steel 1/2 gallon water jugs, I have not bought a throw away plastic water container in two years. It takes a little planning but I can filter enough drinking water for a week long trip pretty easily.
    I have not purchased any ziplock or any plastic baggies in much longer than 2 years. I also reuse glass containers and think twice at the store before I buy anything in plastic ( but this is freaking hard).
    By contrast I still know people who buy those single serve plastic water bottles by the case and give no thought to it. And get upset if you say something to them. It drives me nuts.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    That is if we don't trip and fall off the edge first....
    At least YOU have a parachute.

mtbr member
    Makes me wanna puke. Good job str8edge. You are doing a better job than most. We as a society HAVE to do more. Every bit matters

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    “And God blessed them, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over… every living thing that moveth upon the earth”

God, just to let you know, we pretty much suck at this. Can you take it back?
    Do we really need the Bible quotes and your personal request to an imaginary higher being? Keep that stuff out of here.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Do we really need the Bible quotes and your personal request to an imaginary higher being? Keep that stuff out of here.
    Hear, hear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Population growth is slowing. China's population is set to begin contracting. India's fertility is barely above the replacement rate. The US is well under the replacement rate.

Overpopulation is a myth and I think it's persistent because it allows us to shift blame onto others instead of thinking about our own contributions to the problem. But that still wouldn't be focusing on the right thing...the choices we make in our own lives won't make a difference as long as all those choices come wrapped in plastic. I don't know if a plastic tax makes sense, or subsidizing more sustainable materials, but this one of those situations that calls for a top-down solution.

"When it comes to the environment, the invisible hand never picks up the check."
    -Kim Stanley Robinson

EAT MORE GRIME
    it's not you here in the Americas who make much impact...almost all your waste is placed according to local laws (landfill/waste to energy/recycled)...

it's the 90% the global ocean waste comes that from China, India, and Africa rivers. u want real change ? figure out how to fix the geo-political and industrial infrastructure there where the majority of the problem lives...dump directly into closest river do not pass go.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    it's not you here in the Americas who make much impact...almost all your waste is placed according to local laws (landfill/waste to energy/recycled)...

it's the 90% the global ocean waste comes that from China, India, and Africa rivers. u want real change ? figure out how to fix the geo-political and industrial infrastructure there where the majority of the problem lives...dump directly into closest river do not pass go.
    So, nuke 'em then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We just need to go back to the packaging they used in the old days. Metal and glass are easy to reuse and recycle. We also need to buy quality products that will hold up. We need to just say no to cheap Chinese stuff. We're chocking on plastic.

mtbr member

Earth:

Will save comments for OC.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    But why did the whale keep eating the flotsam and jetsam? I thought they were supposed to be smart, have a language, etc.

My thought is that the fish (prey) he was going for were hiding in/under the garbage and not that the trash was the target. It just got scooped up while the whale was trying to feed.

I agree the majority of the garbage in the ocean comes from third world countries. A little surprising this story comes from Scotland, I wouldn't think the oceans there wouldn't be overly polluted.

Regardless, this is a major global problem, and it's not going away.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Even the cleanest countries have can have horrible pollution in the oceans from all the trash drifting and being carried by currents from thousands of miles away

Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Even the cleanest countries have can have horrible pollution in the oceans from all the trash drifting and being carried by currents from thousands of miles away
    Twice the size of Texas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grea..._garbage_patch

Earth:-343f9a85-740a-465c-ac37-920d7a958124.jpg
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    My thought is that the fish (prey) he was going for were hiding in/under the garbage and not that the trash was the target. It just got scooped up while the whale was trying to feed.

I agree the majority of the garbage in the ocean comes from third world countries. A little surprising this story comes from Scotland, I wouldn't think the oceans there wouldn't be overly polluted.

Regardless, this is a major global problem, and it's not going away.
    Whales just swim along with their mouths open to eat. Intelligence doesn't figure in here, they're just going for quantity, not quality.

How do Whales Eat? | National Marine Life Center

Edit: Oops, should have been a response to ravewoofer's post.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Whales just swim along with their mouths open to eat. Intelligence doesn't figure in here, they're just going for quantity, not quality.

How do Whales Eat? | National Marine Life Center

Edit: Oops, should have been a response to ravewoofer's post.
    This was a sperm whale, which dives for and hunts its prey.

Not a baleen whale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Population growth is slowing. China's population is set to begin contracting. India's fertility is barely above the replacement rate. The US is well under the replacement rate.

Overpopulation is a myth and I think it's persistent because it allows us to shift blame onto others instead of thinking about our own contributions to the problem. But that still wouldn't be focusing on the right thing...the choices we make in our own lives won't make a difference as long as all those choices come wrapped in plastic. I don't know if a plastic tax makes sense, or subsidizing more sustainable materials, but this one of those situations that calls for a top-down solution.

"When it comes to the environment, the invisible hand never picks up the check."
    -Kim Stanley Robinson
    I agree with everything you say here except that overpopulation is a myth. It is a reality and, and for us it means a number of things. But first, an aside.

In the Midwestern US, the deer population is very high in many places, to high. This is evident if you know how to read the vegetation, lack of herbaceous vegetation in woodlands, browse lines on forest edges, and seeing deer that are very skinny. The population outgrows the resources.

Now humans aren't there yet. On a global scale, we produce more then enough to feed everybody, yet people still starve, and some feel justified in this. However, we could feed when more people if we were to maximize the productive output of our current systems, all arable land is farmed, any extractable minerals can be taken, but what are the ecological and cultural costs? Too much. I think the best thing to do is figure out how to get people to have fewer children and use fewer resources, with the caveat that people in developed contribute far more to resource use per person born than those in developing countries. So I recognize that there is overpopulation and the burden falls on us.

This explains my resentment when I hear people use the term ecofascist. They ask me "who should we get rid of to reduce the population" but that's a stupid question because it was never part of my answer. Fascists who use fake ecological rhetoric are no more ecologist than eugenisists could be considered adherents to modern generic and evolutionary theory - which is to say poor. Fascists will cherry pick evidence to support their agendas, that doesn't exact refute what is true about what they've misrepresented.
    dang

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Plastic is made from oil.
    Oil is pumped from the ground.
    So when I throw my plastic into the local landfill, it is going back where it came from.
    Same for sprinkling my waste crankcase oil onto the bare dirt alley behind my house for dust control. That is good environmental stewardship.

When I drive my 8MPG RV I am saving energy. My house is turned off.

It is the little things that count....
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    We just need to go back to the packaging they used in the old days. Metal and glass are easy to reuse and recycle. We also need to buy quality products that will hold up. We need to just say no to cheap Chinese stuff. We're chocking on plastic.
    totally agree...and why can't we package stuff in cardboard and recyclable paper products as well....

I am trying to patronize places that do this more.

Have been saying no to cheap Chinese stuff or 50 years as much as I can.

Also, try to make stuff last as long as possible....the last time I bought clothes was 4 years ago...like jeans/shorts, dress pants etc. I only replace one at a time as they get bad.

being poor definitely helps with not generating gobs of waste, at least for me. REDUCE, is the first word of the 3 word phrase, and the most importnant

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Overpopulation is a myth?

Are you cracked?

The carrying capacity for this planet is 250 million. we are at 7.5 billion.

The single largest problem is the growing population, it amplifies everything.

-Kim Stanley Robinson
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

A waste of time it is is
    I'll just leave this here.

Earth:-climatesummit.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I agree with everything you say here except that overpopulation is a myth.
    Population is only a problem in terms of resources...ie the amount we use being unsustainable. Population growth is slowing and some project a decline later this century. Even if the population shrinks it won't mean less ecological impact if those fewer people use even more resources than previous generations. Focusing on the number of people misses the point IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The single largest problem is the growing population, it amplifies everything.
    So you think the slowing growth of our population is a bigger problem than our increasing consumption of resources?

I feel like of those two problems we should focus more on the one that isn't mitigating itself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    And I'll add that when it comes to methods to significantly decrease our ecological impact vs methods to significantly decrease our population, I like the first option quite a bit more.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Population is only a problem in terms of resources...ie the amount we use being unsustainable. Population growth is slowing and some project a decline later this century. Even if the population shrinks it won't mean less ecological impact if those fewer people use even more resources than previous generations. Focusing on the number of people misses the point IMO.
    This is why I advocate for two things: people who live in developed countries with high resource use choose to have fewer kids and that they use fewer resources. Furthermore investment into the right infrastructure for developing nations would help mitigate things like trash in the ocean.

However even if people really were to minimize the amount of resources they use, an even further increasing population size would eventually negate that. There is a carrying capacity to the total sum of resources on Earth. This capacity allows for more people if we collectively use less, but in either case I don't think we should reach it.
    dang

Snow Dog
    the idea of "disposable" has got to go as well...

a mindset that was born post WW 2 to make us all feel better about the victory, and also to capitalize on the predicted population/consumer boom after the war. One use items are so wrong if you think about every aspect except for the constant cash flow for companies.

The fact that things like phones, tv's, video game consoles, pens, cars, razors, water bottles etc are one time use items is just awful...and freaking latex gloves. I don't even want to think about how much b/s waste is happening because of the food industries use of latex gloves...medical I can understand, but man, we need a better option in the food industry

LET IT SNOW!

Keep on Rockin...
    The world will become a very different place. We are changing it at a drastic pace. Can we adapt? Maybe through "artificial" means we'll be able to change ourselves to cope with a new world. Pretty sure humans will carry on, at least a few, to some extent. I doubt it will be pretty. But we do, as a species, have a very adaptable makeup.

Our genes dictate that we consume and reproduce. Problem is genes don't care if we are happy or not. They'll poke and prod us to eat and fock until we make a mess of the world and it becomes a very miserable place to live - and still it will go on like this. I'd bet genetic manipulation will come into play and make us into something different so that we can then cope with the new world we are making.

What I find most interesting, or amusing, is how little many people even consider the stuff presented in this thread. Some are truly clueless. Some think God will fix it. Some think it's no big deal. We have a government in the US right now that makes a joke of this sort of thing - and still people support it. Really sad.

I'm trying to "do the right thing". Not because I think it will change the world but at least on a personal level I can then look at myself in the mirror and feel less guilty.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    This was a sperm whale, which dives for and hunts its prey.

Not a baleen whale.

Thank you for the clarification.

And here's another issue.

Headline reads: Sympathy for cougars? What about our pets?

Me, me, me. Jeezus.

Earth:-20191203_043424.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    But why did the whale keep eating the flotsam and jetsam? I thought they were supposed to be smart, have a language, etc.
    I’m trying to wrap my head around this comment. It’s not the whales fault humans are selfish earth controllers. As Le Duke stated, it’s a Sperm Whale which hunts its prey. I’m sure opening that huge gaping mouth after prey items trash went in. No way to digest and no way out, death.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I’m trying to wrap my head around this comment. It’s not the whales fault humans are selfish earth controllers. As Le Duke stated, it’s a Sperm Whale which hunts its prey. I’m sure opening that huge gaping mouth after prey items trash went in. No way to digest and no way out, death.
    Surely it was sarcastic?
    dang

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    I heard over the last week that we here in Switzerland recycle 85% of our plastic, glass and metals, not bad I reckon. Better of course would be less use in the first place and 100% recycle.
    What kills me though is this year I travelled for work (yes in a plane, sorry) in China, India & Sth Africa (+ a few more), and the littering and general waste of resources is just plain frightening, to the point I began to wonder why we in Switzerland should even bother.....

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'm trying to "do the right thing". Not because I think it will change the world but at least on a personal level I can then look at myself in the mirror and feel less guilty.
    this is where Im at, sort of given up with "saving the planet", but at least I can look at myself in the mirror relatively guilt free
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Yes, a quote from a book that has had cultural significance to billions of people and what appears to be a tongue in cheek quip. Get over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    The fact that things like phones, tv's, video game consoles, pens, cars, razors, water bottles etc are one time use items is just awful...and freaking latex gloves. I don't even want to think about how much b/s waste is happening because of the food industries use of latex gloves...medical I can understand, but man, we need a better option in the food industry
    1.) Manufacture and distribution of bottled water is just stupid. For 99.9% of people reading this (meaning the developed world) simply going and turning on the tap to get a glass of water is perfectly safe. Us old folks grew up drinking out of a damn garden hose when we got thirsty outside.

2.) People are way too germ phobic. Simply washing one's hands for food prep should be ample. None of our moms wore gloves prepping food and guess what, we are still here.

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Surely it was sarcastic?
    Yeah, I’ve had a stressful last couple of days and probably didn’t pick up on that.

mtbr member

That is a joke. Kinda thick.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

be1
    the beat goes on
    not sure how much of a problem this actually is but - when i see people throw away a bottle of water half full with the cap on it just bugs the sh!t out of me. at least leave the cap off so the water can rejoin the system. maybe pour it out?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Ugh!

Earth:-fish_plastic.jpg

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    not sure how much of a problem this actually is but - when i see people throw away a bottle of water half full with the cap on it just bugs the sh!t out of me. at least leave the cap off so the water can rejoin the system. maybe pour it out?
    this is actually a huge problem...it represents the biggest problem actully, that of the mainstream mind set of impulse driven wastefulness...

my step kids are very much like this, or were, because now that they have been around me, they know better. They would open a bottle, take one drink, and then leave. Come back an hour later, WALK PAST, the already used bottle on the table, and get another one and do the same. So I just started taking money out of their bank accounts, combined with the talk about wastefulness, the environment etc..3 years later, I don't see half used anything around our house.

Real dad is a different case cause he is one of those people who believes that we "have dominion over all the earth", and it is our right to f up and kill everything that is not a middle class American white human...he is a real "gem"

LET IT SNOW!

this is actually a huge problem...it represents the biggest problem actully, that of the mainstream mind set of impulse driven wastefulness...

my step kids are very much like this, or were, because now that they have been around me, they know better. They would open a bottle, take one drink, and then leave. Come back an hour later, WALK PAST, the already used bottle on the table, and get another one and do the same. So I just started taking money out of their bank accounts, combined with the talk about wastefulness, the environment etc..3 years later, I don't see half used anything around our house.
    Nice!
    I like your style.

be1
    the beat goes on

and that's another thing - the part about opening the bottle just for a sip of water. that bugs the sh!t out of me too. dammit. i believe that most bottled water is actually tap water anyway. so use the dam tap.

The immature selfish mentality of some in today’s world just focking amazes me.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...152250326.html

Earth:-c80a1f69-42c8-4683-b329-94e573fcbfb9.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^^ I was reading that a little while ago. Astounding. Sickening.

Bikesexual
    And everyone is up in arms over a fkn commercial.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Not me!

What commercial?

cmg
    I guess you have to tranquelise a bear to spray paint it?

(excluding of course Koala Bears)

Bikesexual
    What commercial?
    Check General.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Check General.
    Or don’t check. Save yourself the misery. Just more snowflake BS whiny bag pussies

Formerly of Kent
    Or don’t check. Save yourself the misery. Just more snowflake BS whiny bag pussies
    2019. Where giving a shit about other people and being a “SJW” makes you a “snowflake” and a “*****”.

Death from Below.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yeah some people are real whiny, calling other people names and shit.

edit: It's a joke...down, Fido.
    dang

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    What about the ones that are filled with yellow/orange liquid, usually a Gatorade bottle, and mostly found on the side of the highway? I feel sorry for the folks that have to clean up those piss bombs!

And I'm 100% sure if I bought one of those stationary bikes for Mrs Jeep for Christmas she would NOT be mad or offended.
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    What about the ones that are filled with yellow/orange liquid, usually a Gatorade bottle, and mostly found on the side of the highway? I feel sorry for the folks that have to clean up those piss bombs!

And I'm 100% sure if I bought one of those stationary bikes for Mrs Jeep for Christmas she would NOT be mad or offended.
    I’ll just add for those that don’t know. These “usually Gatorade bottles” Eugene is referring to are what truck drivers use to piss in while driving without stopping. They then toss the filled container out of the window to the side of the highway.

Snow Dog
    I’ll just add for those that don’t know. These “usually Gatorade bottles” Eugene is referring to are what truck drivers use to piss in while driving without stopping. They then toss the filled container out of the window to the side of the highway.
    we call them trucker bombs....

LET IT SNOW!

Bikesexual
    Lol

Future Mrs JC does not ride but she will be thrilled, she will sell it and go to the mall.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

One ring to mash them all
    Future Mrs JC does not ride but she will be thrilled, she will sell it and go to the mall.
    Ha!

Mrs. Onereally expensiveRing would also not mind me getting her a stationary bike, although I know she prefers to go to spin class with her buddies (she does crossfit and Spartan races). I'd probably end up riding it more than she would.

Her Xmas list includes other workout gear, including hanging a 12' climbing rope somewhere on the premises. Not sure where/how I'm gonna do that, although I'm considering something that can double as a way to help one person load the tandem kayak onto the roof of the SUV. Maybe a gallows structure in the driveway.

She's recently taken up archery with some friends -- there's a public range down at Balboa Park. So she pencilled in "archery gear" on her list. Hmm, silent weaponry.
    Maybe I'm fooked?
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So you think the slowing growth of our population is a bigger problem than our increasing consumption of resources?

I feel like of those two problems we should focus more on the one that isn't mitigating itself.
    Well of course using more is a problem, but the really pressing issue is the increase in consumption in developing countries as those same populations continue to grow.

... and the slowing population growth is misleading, yeah, it's slowing, but we're still projected to max out a 10-12 billion in 2100.

Ya think we got problems now, wait till we add another 50% to our current population AND increased per capita consumption AND increased environmental degradation AND growing scarcity of resources.

Yeah, we are totally screwed, pretty much the bacteria and some bugs will come out fine, but most animals are doomed including human animals.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

be1
    the beat goes on
    this just came up today in discussion at the office. our trash cans are small - 3 gallon or so. the trash bags they use are the 13 gallon kind. the trash cans rarely have more than a used kleenex or a used paper plate - maybe a banana peel. yet they are replaced daily. seems like we could do better than that.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Well of course using more is a problem, but the really pressing issue is the increase in consumption in developing countries as those same populations continue to grow.

... and the slowing population growth is misleading, yeah, it's slowing, but we're still projected to max out a 10-12 billion in 2100.

Ya think we got problems now, wait till we add another 50% to our current population AND increased per capita consumption AND increased environmental degradation AND growing scarcity of resources.

Yeah, we are totally screwed, pretty much the bacteria and some bugs will come out fine, but most animals are doomed including human animals.
    yeah..it seems like every 100million years or so, the Earth has to "shake off all of the fleas" and rebalance it self. Nature is way more powerful than us, no matter what we think. If people would realize that and not fight it, I think we would be better off

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Aliens have given us the ladders of technology to build up our world/infrastructure in their liking. When the mothership gets close they send the code to shut technology down yanking the ladder from under us, leading to a mass human extinction. 😋 When the carbon/pollution scrubbers get built to clean the air, you know the end is near. Lol

mtbr member
    Warmer arctic means thinner ice there which should equate to declining polar bear population yet it does not. Polar bear population has been growing since late 50s.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Warmer arctic means thinner ice there which should equate to declining polar bear population yet it does not. Polar bear population has been growing since late 50s.
    Is that based on data or estimates? How much of that had nothing to do with anything ice related and is just because in the 60s and 70s some places added protections to them?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Is that based on data or estimates? How much of that had nothing to do with anything ice related and is just because in the 60s and 70s some places added protections to them?

Likely a combination of all the above. As you can imagine, it would be difficult to account for every polar bear. My point was population is growing, which is clear. Yet heart jerking stories of polar bears starving abound.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member

Likely an estimate based on data. I doubt there is ever a hard count on any species.

Given polar bears can get much of their food from the ocean. Broken up ice fields resulting in more shoreline could afford more food opportunities. The reduced ice fields could also concentrate available habitat for caribou and other land based food sources. I am not saying it is good or beneficial, just pointing out how an apparent reduction in range could be beneficial for a species.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Likely a combination of all the above. As you can imagine, it would be difficult to account for every polar bear. My point was population is growing, which is clear. Yet heart jerking stories of polar bears starving abound.
    Oh, I don't have any bear stories. It seems to me that changing ice hasn't had much of an impact on their population. Nothing definite, at minimum.

I did do some reading though, and the actual scientists also acknowledged that polar bear population growth since the 50s is a myth. Other than the reason mentioned above (quotas, protections, etc).

I know you're not one of those people that takes what others say as fact... You read into the data. I was curious where you found that really good data.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Likely an estimate based on data. I doubt there is ever a hard count on any species.

Given polar bears can get much of their food from the ocean. Broken up ice fields resulting in more shoreline could afford more food opportunities. The reduced ice fields could also concentrate available habitat for caribou and other land based food sources. I am not saying it is good or beneficial, just pointing out how an apparent reduction in range could be beneficial for a species.
    Of course it's an estimate. How it's done is what matters. (Also just because it's an estimate doesn't mean there isn't hard data to back it up)

mtbr member
    Oh, I don't have any bear stories. It seems to me that changing ice hasn't had much of an impact on their population. Nothing definite, at minimum.

I did do some reading though, and the actual scientists also acknowledged that polar bear population growth since the 50s is a myth. Other than the reason mentioned above (quotas, protections, etc).

I know you're not one of those people that takes what others say as fact... You read into the data. I was curious where you found that really good data.

Yeah, “one of those people”
    You have no stories but are influenced by them. So in same sentence scientists say it’s a myth?, or population growing because of reasons you mentioned? Which one is it? You also mention ice plays little part, which seems a lil silly, so what’s your point?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Of course it's an estimate. How it's done is what matters. (Also just because it's an estimate doesn't mean there isn't hard data to back it up)

Of course it’s an estimate, and there is hard data, lol, gotcha
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The carrying capacity for this planet is 250 million. we are at 7.5 billion.
    What does that mean?

That we are farked.

mtbr member
    Common sense......
    The arrogance of “Saving the Planet”.

mtbr member
    That we are farked.
    If that even hints at reality, shouldn’t the word “were” be more accurate than “are”....

Quite a disparity in those numbers.....

A little context from what DID happen as opposed to what MIGHT happen....No plastic involved.

The Black Death is estimated to have killed 30% to 60% of Europe's population.[7] In total, the plague may have reduced the world population from an estimated 475 million to 350–375 million in the 14th century.[8] It took 200 years for the world population to recover to its previous level.[9] The plague recurred as outbreaks in Europe until the 19th century.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

OMG
    George Carlin, what a genius he was. Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    If that even hints at reality, shouldn’t the word “were” be more accurate than “are”....

Quite a disparity in those numbers.....
    Good point.

mtbr member
    Will try this again
    https://youtu.be/ROW9F-c0kIQ
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I managed to cut my personal trash contribution by 60% by simply changing my diet.
    There is plenty for me to do which is effective on a daily basis and contributes much more than telling someone else what to do on a daily basis will ever accomplish.

Pipe Dreamer
    I remember back when the OC was a fun lighthearted place to hang out and joke around, now it's all seriously depressing reality topics!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pipe Dreamer
    I cut my use of cups for sodas and stuff by about 75%.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Well, if the earth has a sentience to it, and percieves us a destructive kind of "microbe", we are both the smartest and the most ****ed up microbe ever, and we have indeed figured out a way to **** things up. So in it's "mind", we gotta go. That's prolly one of the biggest reasons I've never "successfully" passed my genes into the pool. The Earth don't need 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Well, if the earth has a sentience to it, and percieves us a destructive kind of "microbe", we are both the smartest and the most ****ed up microbe ever, and we have indeed figured out a way to **** things up. So in it's "mind", we gotta go. That's prolly one of the biggest reasons I've never "successfully" passed my genes into the pool. The Earth don't need 'em.
    Agree and same here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Wow. TWICE the size the State of Texas. Maybe an apt name might be the "Sea of Siberia", since it's still growing. I would not want to sail a boat through that. Might never get through it. And god only knows, I mean, the Earth only knows; is a new, plastic continent being formed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Ha!

Mrs. Onereally expensiveRing would also not mind me getting her a stationary bike, although I know she prefers to go to spin class with her buddies (she does crossfit and Spartan races). I'd probably end up riding it more than she would.

Her Xmas list includes other workout gear, including hanging a 12' climbing rope somewhere on the premises. Not sure where/how I'm gonna do that, although I'm considering something that can double as a way to help one person load the tandem kayak onto the roof of the SUV. Maybe a gallows structure in the driveway.

She's recently taken up archery with some friends -- there's a public range down at Balboa Park. So she pencilled in "archery gear" on her list. Hmm, silent weaponry.
    Maybe I'm fooked?
    Ah yes the field archery course next to the freeway! Take my word for it.....don't ride your bike through there. Actually, I really like the idea of field target courses for all kind of target weapons. You just gotta consider the neighbors ( like a freeway).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, “one of those people”
    You have no stories but are influenced by them. So in same sentence scientists say it’s a myth?, or population growing because of reasons you mentioned? Which one is it? You also mention ice plays little part, which seems a lil silly, so what’s your point?
    I am just asking if you have any data to support what you say.

You read things and when they support your view point (ie, you read bear population is growing, it supports your view, you take it as fact) and then present it as fact. In reality you're no better than people that watch NBC news who say GW will kill everyone next year, and take it as gospel.

You just read a different brand of BS, then act high and mighty.

Another thread where I simply ask for clear data to support your view, and you don't have it (but won't admit it).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Of course it’s an estimate, and there is hard data, lol, gotcha
    There is data based on animal counts in a certain area. Those are then extrapolated to estimate an entire population.

We had this discussion about your 'termites produce more CO2 than humans' shtick a few months ago. You were wrong then... And it seems not a lot has changed. Did you really not know that's how animal population estimates are made? That's like first year statistics and bio classes.

Oh well, yet again it's the meat using a mountain biking website to soap box at people because he can't play in the big league. Fun to have you around!

I spend so much time talking about bikes I thought I may never get the chance to speak with you....

mtbr member
    @tfinator.
    I asked you what your point was because I had a feeling you had none and were just trolling me because your holding onto butt hurt. I present that as fact, lol
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @tfinator.
    I asked you what your point was because I had a feeling you had none and were just trolling me because your holding onto butt hurt. I present that as fact
    Is what you say based on real data?

No.

It's a different thread... Yet the same thing happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I remember back when the OC was a fun lighthearted place to hang out and joke around, now it's all seriously depressing reality topics!
    Yeah me too. For sure.
    Serious topics should be and used to be the meat/fun that the oc was based on. You could come here and discuss ‘serious’ topics in a light hearted way. But that only works if people don’t take themselves as seriously as the topic. Seems that is gone, people way to sensitive to say anything, and/or holding onto butt hurt for that to fly much anymore
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah me too. Serious topics should be and used to be the meat/fun that the oc was based on. You could come here and discuss ‘serious’ topics in a light hearted way. But that only works if people don’t take themselves as seriously as the topic. Seems that is gone, people way to sensitive to say anything, and/or holding onto butt hurt for that to fly much anymore
    You keep speaking of this butthurt... What exactly am I supposedly butthurt about? I think you may not be able to answer this question either.

mtbr member
    You keep speaking of this butthurt... What exactly am I supposedly butthurt about? I think you may not be able to answer this question either.

You made it clear to everyone following. Do not wish to shit all over op’s thread. Try to keep it on topic. Not interested in your personal bs attacks
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You made it clear to everyone following. Do not wish to shit all over op’s thread. Try to keep it on topic. Not interested in your personal bs attacks
    You said I was butt hurt, I just wanted to now about what.

So yes, another question not answered.

Breaking news: this just in:

Anybody got anything pertaining to the tragic rape by humans of the earth?

Or on the contrary: Keep it civil so we can keep this thread rolling at a lightening pace speed. LOL - I laugh, OC of old things moved wayyyyyyy faster than snail pace 2019-20.

mtbr member

Breaking news: this just in:

Anybody got anything pertaining to the tragic rape by humans of the earth?

Or on the contrary: Keep it civil so we can keep this thread rolling at a lightening pace speed. LOL - I laugh, OC of old things moved wayyyyyyy faster than snail pace 2019-20.
    Good stuff DJ
    We don’t have to agree on everything, and I’m ok with that. But this I agree 100%.

Will take it a step further, and know it’s not ot, ....
    With people being so sensitive it makes posters curb their responses in an attempt to avoid butt hurt and bad feelings. Which takes away the colorful-ness of personalities. You remember that Aussie member Tone’s? He was freakin colorful. Don’t know where he went but hope he’s doing well
    Round and round we go

NDD
    mtbr member
    Lighthearted thread about shitting all over the Earth?
    dang

Maybe we need Tones [or a character of his aptitude / humor, yet worldly stature] to chime in on these threads.

The minute I hit submit with this thread I knew it would, on occasion head in this direction. We as a group need to set our differences aside for a minute, listen to the others opinions, absorb and move on. Try not to go so far against them as to cause huge interruption and conflict in the thread. Trust me, I get it. We all have our differences, learn to deal with it and move on in a respectful manner.

mtbr member
    Maybe we need Tones [or a character of his aptitude / humor, yet worldly stature] to chime in on these threads.

The minute I hit submit with this thread I knew it would, on occasion head in this direction. We as a group need to set our differences aside for a minute, listen to the others opinions, absorb and move on. Try not to go so far against them as to cause huge interruption and conflict in the thread. Trust me, I get it. We all have our differences, learn to deal with it and move on in a respectful manner.
    No. I’m right, you’re wrong
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Funny enough this thread started with something meat and I agreed on previously. GW be damned, the acidification and pollution of our oceans is a huge problem. People who don't live near it often don't understand, either.

I do my part and leave most of my dives with a fistful of garbage, but it's a pittance and as much for my own peace of mind as anything.

Tif, I get it.

This thread is about EARTH, and it’s challenges we face, to keep it going within our means. Can we interject an earth shattering meteor? Some say we can. I say we just need to focus, concentrate, within our means our contribution to keep things rolling longer. I’m guilty as charged for not paying attention as much as I should. I will say I was taught at a young age not to litter, to recycle when permitted.

It makes me sick to look at what we’ve become as a world society. I try to ignore what’s going on and write it off as I can’t change a thing, guess what! It takes a little from everyone and a lot from others to make a difference.

mtbr member
    Yup
    If the oceans die, we die

I present this as fact, because I read it somewhere
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The greatest influence you will ever have on another’s behavior, is your own.

Pipe Dreamer
    Yeah me too. For sure.
    Serious topics should be and used to be the meat/fun that the oc was based on. You could come here and discuss ‘serious’ topics in a light hearted way. But that only works if people don’t take themselves as seriously as the topic. Seems that is gone, people way to sensitive to say anything, and/or holding onto butt hurt for that to fly much anymore
    I was mocking DJ there, hehe. Seems he posts something similar when these types of threads start getting too serious, and they almost always do. I just can't believe he started this one!

While I do miss the 'old days' there is only now, so do your best to make now better and stop dwelling in the past, that's my advice. If you don't like the way things are, change them.

The crap I deserved.

I was mocking DJ there, hehe. Seems he posts something similar when these types of threads start getting too serious, and they almost always do. I just can't believe he started this one!

While I do miss the 'old days' there is only now, so do your best to make now better and stop dwelling in the past, that's my advice. If you don't like the way things are, change them.
    Did you notice I glanced over it. I knew you directed that at me. And when Meat responded I also held back, but here I am responding to the third post on it. I knew when I hit submit on this thread it would head in this direction. I knew I’d catch crap about it and I knew you would be either the first or close to it for giving me the crap I deserved.

Pipe Dreamer
    I've been holding back for five days, lol!

mtbr member
    Cool. Wise words with DJ + Corn

There are 6 major floating garbage patches. As plastics breakdown into micro plastic they enter the food chain.

What humans do about this human caused issue...
    Clothing made from recycled plastic seems to be a good idea? Until the supply of plastics to produce such clothing is used up, and manufacturers of such clothing then turn to buying new unused bottles as production material. The green movement drove the market to make recycled plastic clothing, yet ...
    Best intentions end badly.

We know that red Signals desirable food for many sea creatures. You’d think a simple easy sacrifice of not making red plastics is easy, yet go to your supermarket and see how many red plastics cups and plates and straws there are.
    Plastic straws, another simple easy painless sacrifice, yet

To me the demise of humans is and will be our ability to think we know more than we do. There is no easy answer/solution to our planets issues that find us in dire straights. It’s a balance, a give and take. And there will be sacrifice if there is to be progress
    Round and round we go

Pipe Dreamer
    Common sense......
    The arrogance of “Saving the Planet”.

I was thinking about that clip earlier and this one popped into my head.

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    A minute of Laughter adds a minute to Life.

Snow Dog
    save those big fat funky whales....

LET IT SNOW!

save those big fat funky whales....
    Hilarious!

Coincidentally I had a conversation with my brother a couple of days ago about how funny those old Cheech and Chong movies were. He mentioned that Cheech has had a pretty interesting life and that his memoir is out, I haven’t taken the time but plan to.

Rippin da fAt
    All this and y'all still fvck like jack rabbits...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

High Desert MTBer
    Long before we choke on plastic, or burn up in the heat, we will either die of thirst or be consumed by the hordes of people who are dying of thirst as we all read and post here. Lack of clean water for millions on this planet is already becoming a crisis of immense proportion.
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Long before we choke on plastic, or burn up in the heat, we will either die of thirst or be consumed by the hordes of people who are dying of thirst as we all read and post here. Lack of clean water for millions on this planet is already becoming a crisis of immense proportion.
    Right. And millions starving worldwide, it's only a matter of time before the planet collapses in on itself. Meanwhile, the fields around me are growing alfalfa and cotton*. Great.

*To be shipped somewhere overseas where 8-year-olds will make shitty shirts.

Right. And millions starving worldwide, it's only a matter of time before the planet collapses in on itself. Meanwhile, the fields around me are growing alfalfa and cotton*. Great.

*To be shipped somewhere overseas where 8-year-olds will make shitty shirts.
    That will be shipped back to the states and you will buy. Don’t buy it and they won’t build it.

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    All this and y'all still fvck like jack rabbits...
    Im allowed, been shooting blanks for 14yrs

banned
    So why don't they recycle the plastic before it gets to the oceans? All around me, recycling centers are closing down and people have nowhere to take their plastic, cans and bottles to be recycled.

Pipe Dreamer
    So why don't they recycle the plastic before it gets to the oceans? All around me, recycling centers are closing down and people have nowhere to take their plastic, cans and bottles to be recycled.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...doesnt-want-it

banned
    Exactly.

Exactly.
    What’s the solution?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Where I live, they shut down three recycle centers because the neighbors didn't like the looks of the recyclers (poor-older cars and trucks. So now, I gotta stuff my van to the gills with plastic and take it to the center across the street from my buddy...in the Barrio, where most Point Loma repubs are afraid to drive. They are so goddam afraid of the poor.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Im allowed, been shooting blanks for 14yrs
    Fair enough...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

banned
    What’s the solution?
    Earth:-1951-day-earth-stood-still-002-gort.png

mtbr member
    What’s the solution?
    Let humans run their course. Earth will start over
    Round and round we go

Straight out tha traila
    A good read if you have some time, it's pretty long! Makes me want to go buy an electric car! good intentions

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...he-sea/603040/
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

cmg
    A good read if you have some time, it's pretty long! Makes me want to go buy an electric car! good intentions

We will never learn.......

banned

Horrific. I can't even fathom (lol) how this will affect the planet.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Soylent Green

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ is people.

mtbr member
    ^ is better than plankton, as far as for the good of earth. Plankton is the foundation of the food chain. Removes a third of earth’s co2 and turns it into oxygen. And is in decline.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    For anyone interested in this, you should check out the Paul “Watson” special on animal planet channel. Good stuff
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    24 Australians arrested for deliberately setting fires this season

There have been 24 people charged with deliberately setting fires among 183 facing legal action in the state, according to the New South Wales Police Force.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/24-austral...opstories.html

mtbr member
    What this planet needs is an astroid the size of Texas... Problem solved....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/scie...rth/vi-BBYI7b1
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    What this planet needs is an astroid the size of Texas... Problem solved....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/scie...rth/vi-BBYI7b1
    or harsher penalties for people who break the law...but I think the asteroid is more plausible...

LET IT SNOW!

A waste of time it is is
    Unfortunately DJ they were dying off long before the fires started. We have just recorded our driest and hottest year on record, the result of which was mothers abandoning their young in the thousands. I genuinely fear that we will have lost many species of both flora and fauna as a result of these fires, some of which may never have been documented.

Just came here to report the same thing. They are saying the Koalas could go extinct due to these fires.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/look-koala...opstories.html

Earth:-34a83123-e6b5-4b54-985d-f652e570be40.jpg
    Earth:-80477f3c-335f-4783-ae24-c0c6b5a780e8.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    What's happening is Australia is horrible. Extinction level event for many many species.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

We are consuming more resources because of our population increases.
    The more we breed, the more we push the planet towards extinction-level events. There's a pretty clear positive correlation here.
    If our populations continue to grow, more bad shit to come.

Finally something positive for this thread. Let’s see how long it takes for humans to screw this up.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/descendan...171248188.html

Earth:-3c3fe384-e31d-4d90-bca0-6a2e78ebc9f6.jpeg

High Desert MTBer
    Genesis wrote a song, 'The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging.' Every time I go to the store I am reminded of the stupidity and sheer waste of the packaging I find. Every time I get anything from an online store, I am amazed how ridiculous the amount of packing material is.
    I had this wild idea that I should unwrap my goods in the store as much as possible, and leave the dross on the shelves. If we all did that, I bet the manufacturers would change pretty soon. A toothpaste tube needs no box. A bottle of Advil needs no box. The tiny pot of Aquaphor certainly does not need an acre of plastic that is impossible to open without scissors around it. Razor blades don't need all that plastic around them either. It could be challenging when buying a tin of beans, but hell, I'll just eat them in store if I have to...
    I do still remember when we used to get stuff from stores weighed out and put in paper bags!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Agree.
    I hate waste.
    Haven’t had a fountain drink in ages.
    Simply buy reduced packaging when possible.
    Bought 4 food grade stainless water bottles that I have used consistently for the past 8 years.
    Eliminated ziplock bags with small stainless containers.
    Shave with a straight razor and a puck of soap in a cup.
    My simple age required dietary changes cut my trash by 60%.
    The whole plastic bag thing was a result of a misguided “save the trees” outcry.
    How much cleaner would the oceans be with those old degradable brown paper bags.....
    Conservatives should live conservatively.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Agree.
    I hate waste.
    Haven’t had a fountain drink in ages.
    Simply buy reduced packaging when possible.
    Bought 4 food grade stainless water bottles that I have used consistently for the past 8 years.
    Eliminated ziplock bags with small stainless containers.
    Shave with a straight razor and a puck of soap in a cup.
    My simple age required dietary changes cut my trash by 60%.
    The whole plastic bag thing was a result of a misguided “save the trees” outcry.
    How much cleaner would the oceans be with those old degradable brown paper bags.....
    Conservatives should live conservatively.
    This makes me a progressive with a conesrvative lifestyle.

Pipe Dreamer

mtbr member
    The ever present pit of Unintended Consequences ......
    Where is Greta when you need her....

“The wind turbine blade will be there, ultimately, forever,” said Bob Cappadona, chief operating officer for the North American unit of Paris-based Veolia Environnement SA, which is searching for better ways to deal with the massive waste. “Most landfills are considered a dry tomb.”
    “The last thing we want to do is create even more environmental challenges.”

mtbr member

Yep, those cancerous things are at least 10x more harmful to the environment than coal
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Yep, those cancerous things are at least 10x more harmful to the environment than coal
    Just as long as it ain’t in your back yard eh J.....
    So much for that Big Lie “renewable”.....
    Just another cow turd on somebody’s bike path....

Pipe Dreamer
    I could make something outta those!

mtbr member
    THATS what I was thinking Corn
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Possible solution....

One start-up, Global Fiberglass Solutions, developed a method to break down blades and press them into pellets and fiber boards to be used for flooring and walls. The company started producing samples at a plant in Sweetwater, Texas, near the continent’s largest concentration of wind farms. It plans another operation in Iowa.

“We can process 99.9% of a blade and handle about 6,000 to 7,000 blades a year per plant,” said Chief Executive Officer Don Lilly. The company has accumulated an inventory of about one year’s worth of blades ready to be chopped up and recycled as demand increases, he said. “When we start to sell to more builders, we can take in a lot more of them. We’re just gearing up.”

Pipe Dreamer
    THATS what I was thinking Corn
    We could use those to build a massive wall!

mtbr member
    Just as long as it ain’t in your back yard eh J.....
    So much for that Big Lie “renewable”.....
    Just another cow turd on somebody’s bike path....

Hmm, windmills or mines? I'll take windmills please.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    We could use those to build a massive wall!
    Actually that was suggested in your link......

mtbr member
    Where is Greta when you need her....

Why belittle young people who just want a brighter future for themselves? Old fuks nearing the end of their line need to move aside.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Hmm, windmills or mines? I'll take windmills please.
    You should visit a wind farm, then visit a reclaimed mine.

https://igws.indiana.edu/Reclamation

Formerly of Kent
    I’ve visited many of them. I’d guess at least two dozen.

Helpful hint: It wasn’t safe the drink water. Surface or well. Wouldn’t be for a long, long time.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Why belittle young people who just want a brighter future for themselves? Old fuks nearing the end of their line need to move aside.
    Just wants a brighter future for herself?
    Why misrepresent Campaign Greta?
    Here’s a clue JB.
    Everybody dies.
    Dust in the wind.
    Nobody beats it.
    Not even Greta.

Pipe Dreamer
    Actually that was suggested in your link......
    Interesting, I missed that.

mtbr member
    Possible solution....

One start-up, Global Fiberglass Solutions, developed a method to break down blades and press them into pellets and fiber boards to be used for flooring and walls. The company started producing samples at a plant in Sweetwater, Texas, near the continent’s largest concentration of wind farms. It plans another operation in Iowa.

“We can process 99.9% of a blade and handle about 6,000 to 7,000 blades a year per plant,” said Chief Executive Officer Don Lilly. The company has accumulated an inventory of about one year’s worth of blades ready to be chopped up and recycled as demand increases, he said. “When we start to sell to more builders, we can take in a lot more of them. We’re just gearing up.”
    Greta? Is that you?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member

https://igws.indiana.edu/Reclamation

Yeah I've visited both plenty.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I’ve visited many of them. I’d guess at least two dozen.

Helpful hint: It wasn’t safe the drink water. Surface or well. Wouldn’t be for a long, long time.

Ever been to the Mississippi River?

mtbr member
    Greta? Is that you?
    It’s called having an open mind.
    Critical thought.
    Try it.
    Don’t waste so much natural resource building unnecessary headers under trusses....

mtbr member
    Just wants a brighter future for herself?
    Why misrepresent Campaign Greta?
    Here’s a clue JB.
    Everybody dies.
    Dust in the wind.
    Nobody beats it.
    Not even Greta.

Yes, but if the earth holds out Greta most likely has many decades to look forward to. You?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    It’s called having an open mind.
    Critical thought.

lol, and here I thought you were completely humorless!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yes, but if the earth holds out Greta most likely has many decades to look forward to. You?
    Another Clue JB.
    This Good Old Planet will “hold out” human arrogance notwithstanding.
    I am not fearful or selfish of the minuscule time I have left.
    I have had much more than I deserve.
    My Cup runneth over.....
    And you?

mtbr member
    Ozark. While it’s clear that windmills cause cancer and damage bird populations, you make it clear that it doesn’t do much to the bird brain population
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    lol, and here I thought you were completely humorless!
    See.
    It works!

mtbr member
    Ozark. While it’s clear that windmills cause cancer and damage bird populations, you make it clear that it doesn’t do much to the bird brain population
    You don’t have to be so oblique.
    Losing your touch.

Trail Ninja
    Sarcasm? Like the composite bicycle parts and exhaust comparison between a rider and car over a certain distance, and cost of transporting the fuel needed to power each (food vs gas)?

Asking cause that's something a coal proponent (e.g. Tea party movement) would say, who hopes no one hears of the dangers of coal ash, and all the coal related lung cancer. Mortality among coal workers, compared to fiberglass workers...

Not sure why this is even a thing. Just seems like people like to troll other peoples' ego, targeting inferiority complexes. In the end, still just harnessing the power of the sun, just in different and less direct ways.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Sarcasm

mtbr member
    I am not fearful or selfish of the minuscule time I have left.

Of course not, did you feel the same way at age 15?

And yes, the earth will hold out just fine. The creatures that live on it? Maybe not.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Formerly of Kent

Earth:

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Sarcasm? Like the composite bicycle parts and exhaust comparison between a rider and car over a certain distance, and cost of transporting the fuel needed to power each (food vs gas)?

Asking cause that's something a coal proponent (e.g. Tea party movement) would say, who hopes no one hears of the dangers of coal ash, and all the coal related lung cancer. Mortality among coal workers and fiberglass workers a different world. In the end, still just harvesting stuff made by the power of the sun, just in different ways.
    I can’t tell if you are being intentionally obtuse here. The comparison is so far out there as to be absurd.

My car produces about 20x the CO2 what I, on my bike, do in covering the same distance, accounting for production and transportation of the additional calories I consume to power that effort.

https://ecf.com/files/wp-content/upl...EN_planche.pdf

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Of course not, did you feel the same way at age 15?
    That is a great observation.

I remember being told by certain adults I would never make it out of the sixties.
    The Cold War assured the Bomb would get us all.
    The Population Bomb would starve us all.
    The greenhouse gas would trigger a Global Ice Age and freeze us all.

But unlike Greta my parents assured me of a bright future and Wonderful Life that proved to be reality.
    And no Politician or Environmentalist ever managed to Pimp my fear for profit.

So you see my problem is after all not really with Greta so much as those who shamelessly push their agenda at her expense.

Trail Ninja
    It was a joke in reference to this:

https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013...ould-be-taxed/

Representative Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama) does not think bicycling is environmentally friendly because the activity causes cyclists to have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”

When contacted to confirm the authenticity of the e-mail, he said, “you would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car.”
    Scientists suggest that planting trees doesn't remove GHG from the atmosphere's carbon cycle unless you entomb them (landfill style?) before they return it through decomposing or through wildfire. Wonder what people think of that, seeing pictures of trees being buried like those turbine blades.

Too bad forest management was gutted, to fund national security. Priorties... we could, you know, leave the carbon (oil) buried in the Earth, through reducing dependency on such.

mtbr member
    So you see my problem is after all not really with Greta so much as those who shamelessly push their agenda at her expense.

Yep, shamelessly pushing their agenda of a better world for everyone.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Sarcasm?.

Of course.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yep, shamelessly pushing their agenda of a better world for everyone.

Well it’s kinda like the old Bocephus song.
    “They want you to make a donation to the Lord, but they give you their address”

Classic sleight of hand misdirection.

I Ride Bikes
    65 degrees in Antarctica yesterday?? This world is HEATING UP!!!
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Yep, new record set, replacing the old record which was only set in 2015. https://www.ecowatch.com/antarctica-...1#rebelltitem1

mtbr member
    Yeah, and the records go all the way back to 1961. Wow wee
    Round and round we go

mtbr member

It's because of those damn windmills.
    I brake for stinkbugs

I Ride Bikes
    You know what we need?

More COWBELL!

You know what we need?

More COWBELL!
    Good to see you among the living Maz.

Great suggestion on helping with many of the earths situations.

More COWBELL! It is..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsQLlk-T0s

I Ride Bikes
    Good to see you among the living Maz.

Great suggestion on helping with many of the earths situations.

More COWBELL! It is..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsQLlk-T0s
    Thanks DJ. Not dead yet! I’ll let you know when though. Maybe I’ll play some eerie cowbell music from the other side to signal my passing.

A waste of time it is is
    3rd record set in the last 5 years. https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...egrees-celsius

mtbr member
    It's because of those damn windmills.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

A waste of time it is is
    For the first time in 280 days the state of New South Wales has no uncontrolled fires burning. We are also getting our 2nd decent rain band coming across the state in the space of about 3 weeks. Sydney's water supply, Warragamba Dam, went from 42% to 82% after the first rain event and should get some more out of this second lot.

Earth:-u4-day-rainfall.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice to get some good news
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Once again, Nature finds a way......

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plastic-eating-caterpillar-could-key-160000151.html

It turns out mother nature may have a solution for our massive plastic waste problem. The answer? Galleria mellonella, more commonly known as the ‘great wax moth’ or the ‘honeycomb moth.’ What makes these little guys so special? G. mellonella larvae enjoy chowing down on polyethylene, the most common type of plastic which also happens to be incredibly difficult to breakdown.
    In 2017, researchers accidentally discovered that wax worms had eaten holes through plastic bags in which they were being stored. Puzzled, Paolo Bombelli and Christopher Howe placed the critters on polyethylene film in a lab and observed them getting to work on the plastic. The results showed that 100 worms were able to ingest 92 milligrams of the material over a 12-hour period. While it’s not a massive amount, it’s still more than microbes are able to breakdown. What’s more, the caterpillars—sometimes called ‘plastivores’—actually digest the plastic allowing them to turn the material into energy.

mtbr member
    Once again, Nature finds a way......

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plastic-eating-caterpillar-could-key-160000151.html

[FONT="]It turns out mother nature may have a solution for our massive plastic waste problem. The answer? Galleria mellonella, more commonly known as the ‘great wax moth’ or the ‘honeycomb moth.’ What makes these little guys so special? G. mellonella larvae enjoy chowing down on polyethylene, the most common type of plastic which also happens to be incredibly difficult to breakdown.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]In 2017, researchers accidentally discovered that wax worms had eaten holes through plastic bags in which they were being stored. Puzzled, Paolo Bombelli and Christopher Howe placed the critters on polyethylene film in a lab and observed them getting to work on the plastic. The results showed that 100 worms were able to ingest 92 milligrams of the material over a 12-hour period. While it’s not a massive amount, it’s still more than microbes are able to breakdown. What’s more, the caterpillars—sometimes called ‘plastivores’—actually digest the plastic allowing them to turn the material into energy.[/FONT]

That's a nice, feel-good story but a solution? I think not. The obvious solution doesn't mesh with a free capitalist market, not yet anyway.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Trail Ninja
    Nature finds a way? It says they're studying how they break down the polyethlene film, which they say has a similar chemical make up to the beeswax they feed on, described as a highly diverse mixture of lipid compounds (fat, like oil?). Maybe devise a way to copy and scale it up.

Polyethelene film sounds like LDPE (2), but maybe HDPE (2). There's PETE (1) too. PETE gets recycled into textiles. Stats I found reported that 25% of PETE gets recycled, and 30-35% of HDPE gets recycled. I presume this means the amount that gets collected for recycling that gets processed and repurposed, vs the remainder that winds up as normal waste for landfills or foreign countries, not accounting for the uncollected litter and plastics mixed in with normal trash. LDPE and the other numbered stuff doesn't get recycled very much (e.g. 1% for polyproplene #5).

I've read about methods of converting other plastic converted to oil, but guessing that it's not economical yet. Heard it requires heat (400C) and dissolving it in a like-solvent, like diesel or naptha, to create something that can be sent to an oil refinery to be made into commodities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast