Life Is Short

Is Dura Ace worth it?

As my life is winding down to a crawl, I'm thinking road bike.
    Ultegra-equipped seems nice but Dura Ace isn't bad either.
    Anyone have a Dura Ace equipped rig & why you chose the groupo.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thats for you to decide. Is the extra bling and weight savings worth the $$$?

105 or apex work awesome too for a fraction of the price also.

I have 3 bikes equipped with Force and they all work awesome! Cant even tell the difference between the red and force shifters in function.

Do you wanna fork out the cash for the bling? What about the fast wearing super light dura ace cassette? Is that worth the money?

Just my thoughts.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

~Disc~Golf~
    jeez holy carp batman what the fuze and all!

I know this is Off Camber - where we let shizz slide, but this Ultegra, 105, and Dura Ace crap has got to stop!

Seriously...this place is becoming a dump-heap.

Mods - don't send crap that would be bin-bound here w/ out asking
    (I don't know who to ask - definitely not a Canadian)
    Maybe - Sasquatch? - He likes Jerky.
    People, don't post crap.
    It's simple.
    Don't be a pimple.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Thats for you to decide. Is the extra bling and weight savings worth the $$$?

105 or apex work awesome too for a fraction of the price also.

I have 3 bikes equipped with Force and they all work awesome! Cant even tell the difference between the red and force shifters in function.

Do you wanna fork out the cash for the bling? What about the fast wearing super light dura ace cassette? Is that worth the money?

Just my thoughts.
    Thanks for heads up on the cassette. Its not the bling factor (I only know my neighbor who is a roadie and I will not do a group ride thing wearing a kit for sure)
    I just thought this bike that has a package of Dura Ace seems pretty good.

Sette Forza Elite Dura-Ace Carbon Road Bike at Price Point

Anyways my neighbor and a relative always brings the subject up. "One day I will
    get Dura Ace, but the Ultegra right now is good enough" They say this to me every time I see them on their bikes and maybe if they bought the damn thing in the first place
    they'd shut up. Weird culture though. Mountain bikers rarely say things like, I should have bought the Boxxer World Cup, but the Marzoochi 888 is good enough. I mean mtn bikers just go out and buy the damn thing in the 1st place.
    Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Sounds bike related. This is Off Camber. Unless you want to talk about music, sports, weed, funny pictures, bodily functions or rep, keep it out of here
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Bro Mountainbiker
    Dude, that bike comes with some sweet wheels.

I want some...

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Dude, that bike comes with some sweet wheels.

I want some...
    Dude, forrealz. I call dibs on that bike if fatcat decides to not get it. That is one smokin' deal.

And highdelll, my road bike only has Sora. Is it alright if I still hang out here?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Show and appearance is very very very big in road biking. DA really isnt much better than anything else out there, but it is DA and its expensive, and that sells.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Dude, forrealz. I call dibs on that bike if fatcat decides to not get it. That is one smokin' deal.

And highdelll, my road bike only has Sora. Is it alright if I still hang out here?
    We should make him buy it then beat him up and take it. I call the wheels. You can keep the rest. creepy eyebrow guy inserted here

~Disc~Golf~

if you post pics of...Sora...wtf is that??... ahh I got ya ..Sora-ity (sorority)- The judges accept it - proceed w pics.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    We should make him buy it then beat him up and take it. I call the wheels. You can keep the rest. creepy eyebrow guy inserted here
    You down to CHOLO, eh? I'll also trade you the chain from that bike for the cassette from those wheels. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    if you post pics of...Sora...wtf is that??... ahh I got ya ..Sora-ity (sorority)- The judges accept it - proceed w pics.
    Well... One of my friends is in Lamba Phi Xi (multicultural sorority, iiiiiin-corporated), was how they said it. But I ain't got pics. So.... How's some photos of XT and XTR instead?

banned
    Funny post, you are worried about DA or Ultegra on a Sette frame? LMAO, you will not have to worry about the Roadies laughing at your Ultegra they will not even notice on that frame. You think the crowd is tough asking about DA, wait to you show up on a Roadies fest ride on that.

One Gear
    Jamis with Ultegra DI2 For not much more than the Sette that you posted, you can get a road bike that is almost all black, and built with mostly Ultegra components and has electronic shifting. Dura Ace is for sponsored riders and those that have piles of money laying around.

Beer Me!
    My vote, Neither.

Go Sram, their road components are a lot more durable, and less finicky than the current newer shimano. I have a sram force group with 4k+ miles on it, and its still doing great (sans the replaced chains and shifter cables.

I agree with the others, the only reason to get DA is if your sponsored or getting some ridiculous deal, same with Sram RED. They don't function any better than ultegra or force, and are only very slightly lighter, for double the price.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

SS Pusher Man
    Is Campy Record, SRAM Red, XTR, SRAM XX worth the money??

Depends on who you ask.

Yes the Dura Ace 7800 stuff on my road bike has a much better feel than the old 105 that it used to have. Would I buy it again.....probably not. Ultegra is just as nice for a little less.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Afric Pepperbird
    Save hard earned cash, and get 105. It's a great set

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    doods - a DA cassette lasts easily well over 10K miles. keep your drivetrain clean and change your chains before excessive wear

where did ya get the info that they wear down quick?

and FWIW - i run Ultegra on my s-works tricross....primarily because I beat the crap out of it.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Ultegra is amazing. DA is probably about the same with performance, but a tad lighter as a groupset.

AZ
    banned
    Another vote for 105, it is not as glamorous, it weighs bit more but it is functionally very close in performance to Ultegra and Dura Ace at a substantial savings. Put your money in a good set of wheels.

Suckin wind like a boss
    another vote for GTFO of offcamber with this roadie bike talk bvllsh!t. take it to general, or better yet rbr.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Ride More, Work Less
    I've ridden 105 and Ultegra. Either are fine but Ultegra is as smooth as I have ever needed. Wheels are the better place to spend the money. I would not spend money on the full grouppo either. mixing and matching is fine.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Sweep the leg!
    I have 105 on the tandem (with an XTR derailleur) and the daughter's bike (9sp) and rode a new Ultegra group for a week two summers ago. It worked fine but the bike I bought that spring of '11 has Record. All of my road bikes and my 'cross bike have Campy.

Why? Because it works and lasts.

I still have the original Nuovo Record and Super Record groups on bikes that I bought in 1978 and 1982. The 1991 Record Ergo group is alive and well after a 9 speed shifter part installation. Two other bikes have Chorus and Veloce 10 groups.

I've had DA for a few seasons of racing (1989-1992) and it showed significant signs of wear. If it hadn't been free I'd have been really p-o'd. The 91 Record shifters and derailleur works as it did the day I bought it. Plus if the internal springs or indexing rings wear I can replace them in 20 minutes. I have replaced springs once when I upgraded from 8 to 9 but that was 2008 after 17 years of thousands of miles of shifting.

I tried SRAM and I didn't like the shifting action at the lever but that was a personal preference more than anything else.

As far as you putting DA on a crap frame, that's up to you. It's your money.

If you want my opinion, you should get Veloce or Centaur on a decent frame and wheels. Or SRAM
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    after 105 it becomes harder to tell without looking. i have durace on my road bike, it came that way ( used) if i had to buy new stuff 105 works well enough.
    my 2cents

banned
    Jan 2012
    DA pedals and Ultegra group, period.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    another vote for GTFO of offcamber with this roadie bike talk bvllsh!t. take it to general, or better yet rbr.
    what he said!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Plays with tools
    Ultegra Di2 trumps mechanical 7900 any day of the week.

~Disc~Golf~
    After reflection, Dura-Ace might be worth it

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vn29DvMITu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(sorry - had to post the classic )

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Wrong. My steel frame from 1973 is a light-enough bike, and riding with finesse really is all about trackstands.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    After reflection, Dura-Ace might be worth it

(sorry - had to post the classic )
    A few months ago one of my friends from old hometown a couple of thousand miles away sent me a vid link saying I have to watch it. After about 30 seconds of staring, I realize that by some freaky coincidence it's actually a guy from my mountain biking club where I live now;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kcjoWL6hJg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plays with tools
    Wrong. My steel frame from 1973 is a light-enough bike, and riding with finesse really is all about trackstands.
    Maybe if your a dirtbag hipster.

Members who have read this thread: 0