Thread: Downward dog

Is not amused

Downward dog

So as I took my dog out this morning like usual I began to think about all the warm up threads or how long it takes to get in a groove. For those of you that bring your dog to the trail, go for a walk, jog, a ride around the block, do you yourself stretch before and after? Maybe, maybe not depending on how strenuous the activity could be.

This brings me to my dog. Maybe I'm a weirdo but if Dino and I hit the trail or go for a ride around the block we do a warm up. Say walk for 5-10 minutes, then this is basically copied and pasted from another site but covers how we stretch.

Hip flexors: These muscles allow the hip to contract when the dog trots or runs. With your dog standing, gently grasp one of his back legs above the knee and slowly move the leg back, so it’s extended straight out behind his body. When you feel resistance, hold the position for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat two or three times with each leg. If your dog appears to be in pain, have his hips examined by a veterinarian.

Shoulder flexors: With your dog standing, gently grasp a front leg above the elbow and move the leg forward, as if the dog was giving a high five. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, repeating two or three times with each front leg.

Back stretch: With the dog standing, use a treat to lure his head gently toward his tail. The dog’s body should bend in a C shape. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, repeating two or three times on each side.

So do you stretch your dog to make sure he or she is preforming at their best or do you just go out with them?

I didn't know where to put this so mods feel free to move it if need be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downward dog-150121_10151124634073065_1146664701_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Warm up before and stretch after is best.
    My chocolate Lab who's now 11, and thankfully still very healthy and active, was starting to have hind leg/knee problems after hard exercise at around age 5. I changed up his diet to better, and yeah, more expensive food, started doing more of a warm-up, and also evened out the exercise, meaning 45-60 minute sessions almost daily, instead of 3-4-5 hours only on the weekends. Haven't had a problem since.
    Some dogs, like mine, just don't know when to stop. His tongue gets longer and longer, lol, but he'll just keep going seemingly having a ball.
    Think diet/weight is key, and each breed has specific needs. Think it's also best to change food every few months so what one food is lacking, another one is not. Gotta look at the ingredients. I've been acclimating from Royal Canine, Innova, and Wellness, and each brand has different blends like seafood, venison, duck, turkey, whatever. It's amazing how one food will make his coat more shinny, while another might make him smell better. And that's only what I can see, so who knows what other benefits it has.
    So, as not to verbal masturbate all over this thread any more, NO, I've never thought to stretch him after exercise, but he does get an occasional massage, quality food, and always a warm-up. Seems to be working. My vet always comments on how "Samson" is the best looking, healthiest Lab he's ever known.

BTW, you've got a good looking pooch there.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    my greyhound, Hook, is 10 now and he definitely appreciates the helpful stretches and massages after his "romps". He is a 40mph couch-potato. He's good with just walks but there is the occassional romp after cats and squirrels that leave him exhausted. He's continued to be very healthy and acts like a 1month old puppy, which, amuses his vet. I'm definitely with you on their stretch routines, Hutch. Hook being a rescue x-racer, his flexors have seen some strain but the stretching/massage has kept him well.

Ride More, Work Less
    My dog stretches when we say the word "walk". He reaches his front legs way out and makes this yawning-like noise. He loves a neck massage and "quad" rub when we get back, especially if he runs hard. I do too, but apparently you have to walk on all fours to get that treatment
    Last edited by heyyall; 06-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Good, green, Oregon.
    Sorry to be off-topic already in this thread, but Hutch, I love your pup! You taking your dog on the trail, inspires me to do the same with my boy Blue:

He is of course older than this now, at about 2.5 years old, but I wasn't sure about taking him on the trails with me. I may give it a shot, and will certainly stretch and warm him up before hand. Thanks for the inspiration!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

Is not amused
    Thanks for the replies and comments. It good/weird how some dogs just do this basic thing on their own when we say wana go for a ride, walk. Like theMeat said, some breeds are different. Dino is actually over weight in muscle just like me which sucks, so we are both working on that. I just got home and I guess my mother took him to the park and now he is limping on his left ankle so I'm pissed about that. He was perfectly fine after we got home this morning. Giant Chachi, nice looking Boxer, if and when you take him out watch out for him trying to be a boy racer and teach him how to pace instead of an all out sprint. Dino used to sprint all out when we first started and would only be good for about a mile when we first started but he's good a keeping the pace down now and, can go 5-10 miles. Only problem is he drinks so much water in doing so.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 06-08-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Left leg... not right.

Ride More, Work Less
    How about a little love for Folly? He has a unique perspective on the world.

Downward dog-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339192102.256725.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    dice dogs guys,grats

Is not amused
    LOL at the picture of Folly.

So my vet is closed to have Dino looked at for tonight. I called the only emergancy vet in the area. 300$ for appointment plus 150$ per hour with doctor on top of any x-rays, etc. Normal vet is 70$ with appointment and doctor then x-ray. So because I don't have an extra 500$ just laying around I have to wait to bring him to the vet in the morning. Like WTF kind of inhumane SHlT is that... lower your price azzholes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downward dog-imag0816.jpg  

Ride More, Work Less
    How old is Dino? If he is still growing, it could be nothing more than wandering leg lameness.

http://www.wiki-pet.com/health/dog/c...ering+lameness

We took our dog in for a sore front leg and by the time we were seen, the front leg was fine but the rear leg was now lame. The vet kind of laughed and said it was very, very common in large dogs.

Is not amused
    He'll be turning six this year. It could have been from this morning or at the park with my mother. Either way I gave him one pill of buffered aspirin. He loved the cold pack on it with the ace bandage. Right now he's sleeping with the bandage on loose with his leg on a pillow to keep it elevated, snoring like a mofo.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i dont stretch, or warmup, and neither does the dog! though she's a hound, and she spends the first fifteen minutes sort of putzing around and sniffing anyway. she's so distracted by her sniffer, especially towards the beginning of a ride

when she turned eight, i noticed her being stiff after rides. now i give her fish oil and MSM. Now she's only stiff every once in a while. i've noticed quite the difference!
    fap

Good, green, Oregon.
    Hutch-

Sorry to hear about your pup and his injury. His pic got huge “Awwwwwww” from my wife and son. We are huge Boxer lovers here! Any update after this morning? I feel for you with the vet bill talk; we have certainly been there too, with those wonderful surprises of a random vet bill, especially “emergency” ones. Well, I and my family (Blue included!) are wishing the best for Dino!

Is not amused
    ^^^ He has a mild sprained ankle. He's on pain meds. I've been making sure he doesn't even trot across the yard to help it heal and on it a minimum. Me on the other hand I was stuck out riding in the rain with low temps a week ago and now I'm really sick. I have to call the Vet. later this week to update them.

Massive fan myself of the Boxer's. This my boy he turns 10 later this year. Still carries on like a 2 year old
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downward dog-camera-009.jpg  

Is not amused
    Great looking brindle boxer. Dino is still limping so x-ray tomorrow morning and I've been so sick (reason I haven't been on here) I totally forgot his birthday on the 6th. He's six now.

mtbr member
    The dogs typically warm themselves up by chasing each other and anything that moves at the trail head while I am getting ready. Then a quick swim in the creek before getting in the car seems to help (it is cold!).

My oldest dog has early stages of arthritis and spondylosis and used to struggle after any run.

I have also started sprinkling some glucosamine and chondroitin on the older one's food now on the advice of the vet. Seems to be working a treat.

Is not amused
    Update case anyone was wondering. No x-ray needed, Dino is doing better. Just easy walking for now. Still on the pain meds. He misses going for trail rides dearly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Update case anyone was wondering. No x-ray needed, Dino is doing better. Just easy walking for now. Still on the pain meds. He misses going for trail rides dearly.
    Good to hear. Hope he recovers rapidly and can get back out with you. The worst thing is seeing the look of abandonment in their eyes when you leave for a ride and they know exactly where you are going...

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Good to hear. Hope he recovers rapidly and can get back out with you. The worst thing is seeing the look of abandonment in their eyes when you leave for a ride and they know exactly where you are going...
    lol, yeah. i'm sure our jack russell practices that look. our dog is 16 years old now, he's not as spry as he used to be. we give him glucosamine and it seems to help.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    lol, yeah. i'm sure our jack russell practices that look. our dog is 16 years old now, he's not as spry as he used to be. we give him glucosamine and it seems to help.
    Add fish oil capsule taken with the gluc. It not only helps joints and has many other health benefits, but it helps the glucosamine get absorbed. Don't have to tell you that stuffs not cheap so all the absorption you can get eh.
    Oh, you do know that people gluc and dog gluc is the same just much cheaper right.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    Round and round we go

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Thanks we both appreciate it. I feel bad too when I leave and he gives me that look. Though his new found love is the pill pockets for his pain meds. He gets a treat and gets doped up so its a win win for him. He's also down 10 pounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    He's also down 10 pounds.
    That should make a huge difference. Good for you, and him.
    Round and round we go

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Add fish oil capsule taken with the gluc. It not only helps joints and has many other health benefits, but it helps the glucosamine get absorbed. Don't have to tell you that stuffs not cheap so all the absorption you can get eh.
    Oh, you do know that people gluc and dog gluc is the same just much cheaper right.
    thanks for the advice, very helpful.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

yeah, i use people brand fish oil, glucosamine, and MSM powder in my dog's water. They mark up "animal" supplements so much.
    fap

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    That should make a huge difference. Good for you, and him.
    Thank you.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Good to hear some improvement Hutch. Having a laid up dog is rough on everyone. Especially when it is a Boxer, and they are just so full of energy. They aren't hyper per se, but just have a lot of energy to burn. That butt wiggle they do with the little bronco kick when you come home only burns up so much of that energy! Keep us posted Hutch! Take care Dino!

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got a 6yr old yellow lab. this past year and 1/2 had been tough for him. full tear on his right cruciate/partial tear on his left. We tried to rehab him by letting him swim, but it only made it worse...even with short swims. So he had surgery on both.

Couple months after surgery, we don't know how, but he broke his repair to the right side. This after being crated at night and while we were away, restricted to one floor...all the precautions we should've taken. They repaired it again, this time using a heavier guage line. He seemed to be doing pretty good, however about 2 month ago he started limping again.

this time we are thinking torn meniscus....maybe on both sides. he clearly was not born with good knees. Since his original surgery he's not been able to or even allowed to try to run. He's going back in for his 3rd and hopefully last surgery next week.

mtbr member
    That then starts getting into difficult territory for me. Firstly, I know that dogs are part of the family, but how much money do you start throwing at surgeries, etc?

Also, if the next round of surgeries doesn't work, what then? To me, most (there are some breeds where this doesn't apply) seem to be happiest when running? How does one then reconcile keeping a beloved pet around when their quality of life is less than ideal?

Not picking on anyone here, just voicing something I was thinking about when my dog was injured and was fearing the worst...

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Good to hear some improvement Hutch. Having a laid up dog is rough on everyone. Especially when it is a Boxer, and they are just so full of energy. They aren't hyper per se, but just have a lot of energy to burn. That butt wiggle they do with the little bronco kick when you come home only burns up so much of that energy! Keep us posted Hutch! Take care Dino!
    Thanks. We went out for a short ride this morning. Kept the speed under 7mph until he saw some lady jogging with 4 dogs. Speed somehow increase to 10 with no pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by clo View Post
    I've got a 6yr old yellow lab. this past year and 1/2 had been tough for him. full tear on his right cruciate/partial tear on his left. We tried to rehab him by letting him swim, but it only made it worse...even with short swims. So he had surgery on both. Couple months after surgery, we don't know how, but he broke his repair to the right side. This after being crated at night and while we were away, restricted to one floor...all the precautions we should've taken. They repaired it again, this time using a heavier guage line. He seemed to be doing pretty good, however about 2 month ago he started limping again. This time we are thinking torn meniscus....maybe on both sides. he clearly was not born with good knees. Since his original surgery he's not been able to or even allowed to try to run. He's going back in for his 3rd and hopefully last surgery next week.
    Clo- sorry to hear about your lab. I used to have a black lab a long time ago and had to give him up when my father passed away. I sometimes wonder if he is alive or how he is doing. I hope the best for your dog and hopefully you won't need to take him for anymore surgeries after this one.

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks Hutch!

Is not amused

So?! Bltch do you want to die!?!

Out riding with Dino, doing our usual loop around the block. It's 1mile. Speed kept to 10mph and below. I stop at one of the intersections and some lady starts going ballistic yelling animal abuse, that's animal abuse. I didn't pay any attention until she nearly side swiped Dino and myself driving up still screaming animal abuse down the street with us.

Funny how there are stops signs in this world because I fvcking completely exploded on her in her fuel eco prius. Was that the right thing to do? Well when you put the only thing I love in the world in jeopardy of being run over by your car and almost hitting myself. I think I had every right to go SGTMaj ape **** on her.

I didn't know where else to put this, thought of this old thread and just now thinking about the tragic news of Burry Stander's today (RIP) I figured share this incident.

Stay safe out on the streets if you ride them and watch your back.

-Hutch
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Is not amused
    What I don't get was the whole animal abuse rant she had going; was starbucks out of coffee?

9 lives
    There's all kinds of disturbed people.

I heard on the news today that a woman who operates a dog rescue company in our town is wanted by Police in an animal abuse investigation. Apparently she has a history of abusing animals... and yet she operates a private "dog rescue" business
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

bust a move
    That's scary chit Hutch! She sounds like a nut I had a couple of really close calls this year. Staying safe isn't always easy
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 01-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Glad to hear your pooch is doing well.

seems the older my dog gets, the more important conditioning and a warm up are for recovery or should i say lack of.
    Round and round we go

No Stranger to danger....
    nice thread, happy days.......i love doggies
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Hutch good to see Dino is doing great.

Long live the boxer

Fark the haters

mtbr member
    The world will be better off when "we" are gone and the animals can return to normalcy Love my pups, seems to be adding one to the pack about every 6 months, just find them on the side of the road or tied abandoned because people don't want or "can't" afford to feed them anymore.

As to the OP of the thread, I don't have to stretch my pooches, as the title says, downward DOG, they invented these stretches and perform them without human intervention, just wish I could perform the stretches as good as they can
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

i've gotten the slight comments when i ride with my dog, like "oh....she must have a hard time keeping up".

well, not really. on a group ride, she'll sometimes hang with the fastest guys. The reality is, my dog is 9 years old, and there will be a time she wont be able to mountain bike with me. However, my 9 year old dog is in great shape, even better than some younger dogs. She doesnt have any joint issues whereas i know dogs her age or even younger who already have problems (then again, my dog is a mutt and they tend to be less prone to stuff like that.) She spent a lifetime of eating good food and getting a ton of exercise. Many "american" dogs cant really say the same.

most of us dog owners who ride with our dogs have a general idea of what they're dog is capable of and not. i'm on a ten mile limit or under, and try to only take her on slower technical trails these days, and avoid the fast trails. Trail dogs are happy healthy lucky dogs!
    fap

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^ You're wise to keep it short and avoid long DH's.

When young had a mtb friend who took his dog on long rides w/ tons of vertical. He'd run balls to the wall to keep up, and we should've known better. At age 5 or 6 he got bad arthritis, and suffered forever due to our stupidity.

Am a big believer in Glucosamine powder, as it enabled my pooch to keep at it until he passed at age 12.

Oh & the lady in the SUV yelling animal abuse, just sounds like an unmedicated whackjob.

when she turned 8, i noticed some stiffness after longer rides. when i added MSM powder to her water, and occasional curcumin supplements, that all stopped.
    fap

mtbr member
    Exactly, I only have one dog I take on the trails with me (have 4 more rescues) because he was my first and is quite well trained and listens pretty good. When I do take him it's HIS ride, not mine and we go at his pace, stop frequently and I only take him on technical trails that are really slow for me. Not for his age, but because he's barely off the ground height wise

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i've gotten the slight comments when i ride with my dog, like "oh....she must have a hard time keeping up".

most of us dog owners who ride with our dogs have a general idea of what they're dog is capable of and not. i'm on a ten mile limit or under, and try to only take her on slower technical trails these days, and avoid the fast trails. Trail dogs are happy healthy lucky dogs!
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    There are a lot of nutjobs operating under the guise of animal welfare. Looks like you found one Hutch and I'm sorry to hear that; I am so glad the pooch is OK.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Hutch, hope all is well with Dino and sounds like it is, thankfully. What a nut job this lady was! They are out there, and when it comes to animals, people can be very passionate for sure. But adding that passion to an already whacked out mindset? Watch out!

Long live the Boxers! Here is Blue giving a shout out to Dino!

mtbr member
    Did you name him that just so you could say, "You're my boy, Blue!". I'd do that constantly.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by liljoe76 View Post
    Did you name him that just so you could say, "You're my boy, Blue!". I'd do that constantly.
    You bet! His full name is Dexter Blue VonPotlicker. He is registered, so we had fun naming him after watching some Westminster Dog Show and seeing how odd some of their names are.

Dexter - Yes, that Dexter. We love the show Dexter, so our dog got that name.

Blue - The breeder didn't name the pups to keep the attachment level down, so she color codes them. We had a choice of the green, blue or gold boy Boxer puppies. We kept referring to him as the Blue one, and it stuck.

VonPotlicker - Von, because it so regal sounding. Potlicker is what my grandfather used to call dogs. When he grew up, that is what the dogs did....lick the pots after dinner. My grandpa passed away about 10 days before we picked up Blue, so we added the Potlicker name in as a dedication to him.

So there is the story of My Boy Blue! Fancy, regal, registered AKC name, that is more of a joke than anything, because we don't show him or anything like that.

Sorry, not trying to threadjack Hutch.

mtbr member
    THAT IS AWESOME! Just needs a little top hat and monocle.
    Exhibit A:
    https://ct.iscute.com/ol/ic/sw/i52/5...3b2ccc0354.jpg

Is not amused
    Thanks for the replies everyone. He's doing good. Giant Chachi, Dino says what's up

Actually, I ran into some "lower class person" *if you catch my drift* today sitting at a light and he's like is that a boxer? Yes. I get "that's the ugliest fvcking dog i've ever seen". Really? Keep living off that welfare check hommie and driving that 94 Ford Taurus driving your baby momma around. Anyways. I'll keep some other words I want to type to myself. This city puts out some of the lowest of the lows.

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0