mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Does anyone have experience selling vintage sports cards/memorabilia?

So I have my grandfather's baseball card collection. I have a couple hundred cards from 1936 and 1939. I'm trying to sell the collection in bulk. So far, I brought all of them to a sports memorabilia shop and was advised to get the valuable ones graded.

To anyone with any type of experience in this area, how should I sell the graded cards? Some of the graded cards are worth upwards of $1200 so I want to get the most for them but also want to sell them reasonably fast.

Also, how to sell the large amounts of "common cards?" There are auctions, eBay, Craiglist and quite a few sports cards buyers out there....lots of options.

I'm hoping for some advice here so I can maximize profit and maybe get a new 29er.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you want the most money don't sell in bulk.

How much eBay feedback do you have? If it is less than 500 and 100% positive, I would try to find someone with really good feedback to list the cards for you.

Sell each card individually and make sure the auction ends on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when the website will have the most traffic.

Sell without a reserve because that scares people. Make sure to upload QUALITY scans of the cards showing the condition.

Lastly, I would recommend shipping to US/Canada only as shipping and scams can get very sketchy internationally (just from personal experience).

This is a great time of year to sell some vintage baseball cards with the All-Star game coming up.

Also, do not go by book value ever on cards. They either are never close to what book price is or they are way more. You would get a better idea of how much money you have by looking each card up individually on eBay. (Prob not gonna find them all but should be a good reference for others). .

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I used to work for a sports card shop and have a ton of experience with sports cards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ginty,

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently getting some cards appraised and graded. I will certainly drop you a PM for some selling advice. I'm glad you replied to his post - it sounds like you're a great source for info. I'll be in touch.

Matt
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Members who have read this thread: 0