Poll: tipping or no tipping

Results 1 to 52 of 52

Thread: Do you agree

  1. #1
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122

    Do you agree

    Should we pay our servers more and forget tipping?


    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,279

    i always do unless service sucked. the amount may vary

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    I don't like any of the poll choices.
    I think they should be paid more, but that we should still tip if we want to.
    Sorry. I can't vote in a poll like that.

  4. #4
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,163
    If paid more we would absorb the cost in the product they are serving. That would drive the tab amount up and if we still tipped on a 20% basis for good service we would be getting jacked.

    I've stopped tipping based on the cost of the meal. It takes just as much effort on the servers part to bring me a 12.00 dish as it does to bring me an 8.00 dish.

    My GF is a difficult orderer (can't order off the menu but has to tweak everything) so i tip based on the servers attitude and willingness to work with her..

  5. #5
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,514
    There's no tipping here and our service is consistently worse than what I experienced in America.

    I do find it super annoying when listed prices don't include sales tax.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  6. #6
    nvphatty
    Guest
    poll did not include what i find as proper etiquette, that is to say tip ya bunch of cheapass Mr Pinks.

    A very sensitive and in depth topic for me since i live in a state (NV) that has far more tip earner positions than most others. It's a highly debated topic for sure and plenty of opposing views no doubt. Having had the fortunate experience of earning tips for some 27yrs as a table games dealer and working within the gaming industry for 34yrs now and still bear witness to the following 1) someone has not had the experience and therefor no knowledge/education of what is proper etiquette, 2) someone has an idea but doesn't know how to go about the offering, 3) someone will inquire whats the best way to tip a dealer, food server,cocktail server, valet attendant, bell captain, room service maids, bartender, change/key slot attendant are just a few examples within the circles of gaming.

    Another related topic worthy of mention is the amount or % one tips. It's always a moving target for sure but most have the knowledge of the 15% rule but as mentioned sometimes the service one receives will determine it and if not to your liking it could be as low as 5%, or perhaps a few pennies(which is the ultimate slam for a tip earner)
    Last edited by nvphatty; 01-15-2015 at 04:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,163
    So, do you tip the valet dude that takes your car or the one that brings it back to you?

  8. #8
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    So, do you tip the valet dude that takes your car or the one that brings it back to you?
    both is proper.

  9. #9
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,881
    Most people that I have known that worked for tips made a killing at it. Probably would find it impossible to get them to agree to working for an hourly wage.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

    It ain't supposed to be easy.

  10. #10
    nvphatty
    Guest
    The vast majority of service industry types are now and have been subject to Tx's on their tip earnings much thanks to the fed gov. But as TT mentioned the equivalent wage to make the diff would mean an employer would pay $15ph (ballpark)

  11. #11
    nvphatty
    Guest

    gratuities

    somebody help me!! i can't stop...

    As an aside for discussion purposes:

    lets say as a tip earner you establish a bit of rapport with returning patrons to the point of idle chit chat about daily mussings, family, and perhaps personal life but has never offered up a gratuity ever and you find out the patron is a small business owner across town who invites you to come see him/her and hands over a business card, 'come see me any time your needing blah blah'.....i say to meself, self why would i patronize your place of business given the customer relations we've had and never once offered any sort of compensation??

    This world goes around and around and it takes sharing to make it go, an ol saying 'scratch my back and i'll scratch yours'.

  12. #12
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    I actually do think we should raise the wage of the servers. I know from the people I use to hang with in highschool and college and they would only leave the change ( you know quarters). They are still like that and it pisses me off that the servers are attentive and friendly and all they get is change. And I have notice there are getting to be more and more people like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  13. #13
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    There's no tipping here and our service is consistently worse than what I experienced in America.
    When i visited Madeira Island (portugal) i was informed about no tipping service people, i made a point of doing so not just because I was a visitor/tourist but because my belief is based upon my upbringing it is the proper way to express my satisfaction for service, good, bad or indifferent. The look upon the servers faces was quite telling and i was pleased to do so.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,348
    I think they should get paid more and you should tip them if you want to.

    These people are poorly paid for working antisocial hours while being expected to be cheerful and pleasant at all times, even if ingrate customers are unpleasant to them. They deserve to be paid a reasonable wage and if you feel they've looked after you well you should feel free to tip them.

    I know the argument, well you don't tip other people, but I sometimes do actually. The local tyre fitters I use is a similar situation. The guys are not well paid, they work in grotty conditions in poor light and freeze in the winter. So I always tip them too, just to let them know I appreciate them.

    Spread a little love, the world feels nicer that way :0)

  15. #15
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Spread a little love, the world feels nicer that way :0)
    yup it's good karma. As you i will spread it around perhaps to a fault, LBS wrench who goes beyond the norm, a show host who seats you with great viewing, boom bada bing gets luv, golf course attendant, yup they gotta have some too.

  16. #16
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,108
    Tipping is not always good karma. I made the mistake of leaving a tip on a credit card payment at a restaurant in Sth Lake Tahoe back in the day. We had no cash and obviously should have used a travellers cheque because the waitress walked after us to the door and in front of the people lined up to be seated screamed and abused us. "Isn't my service good enough for you? Thanks for tipping me nothing etc etc" It was loud and ongoing and embarrassing and should have been taken to the manager (who was probably a jerk who kept all credit card tips for all I know). 15% tip to get abused - not good karma at all.

    Later in the trip in Whistler we met a dude who used to come up from Van each weekend and work Friday night through Sunday for $1-1.5k in tips. His hourly rate was $0.00. Worked for him, but should a business be able to employ someone for nothing so they can make more profit?

    When you start talking about tipping everyone who is working and does anything for you, I think it gets ridiculous. To be honest, in this impersonal world I'd rather tip a stranger for letting me through a door than someone getting paid to do it. Having said that, I do tip when someone deserves it (this is in Australia and so wait staff are being paid a reasonable wage in general) and generally that is when a gratuity should be offered, not just for turning up to work.

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    FYI - The standard hourly rate for servers is $2.13. From which they are taxed on 8% of their sales. So, if their nightly sales are $1000 they pay taxes on $80 to the gov't. Often their checks do not cover the amount of taxes they owe. This system is truly messed up...

    tap tap tap...

  18. #18
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,365
    Poll is lacking in appropriate questions.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  19. #19
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Tipping is not always good karma. I made the mistake of leaving a tip on a credit card payment at a restaurant in Sth Lake Tahoe back in the day. We had no cash and obviously should have used a travellers cheque because the waitress walked after us to the door and in front of the people lined up to be seated screamed and abused us. "Isn't my service good enough for you? Thanks for tipping me nothing etc etc" It was loud and ongoing and embarrassing and should have been taken to the manager (who was probably a jerk who kept all credit card tips for all I know). 15% tip to get abused - not good karma at all.
    Of course not, and frankly goes without saying not all experiences will be pleasant ones unfortunately , however by in large they will be so asses each experience fairly is the best we the public can do. It's quite easy for patrons to find an excuse not to leave a proper gratuity be it justified or not.

  20. #20
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,163
    I am a chronic over tipper. If I have to tip the valet that takes my truck and the one that returns it , it will cost me 10 buck to have it valet. When I go to vegas that could add up to 40-50 dollars a night just in valet tips. I guess it's cheaper than taking a cab to each venue.

  21. #21
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I am a chronic over tipper. If I have to tip the valet that takes my truck and the one that returns it , it will cost me 10 buck to have it valet. When I go to vegas that could add up to 40-50 dollars a night just in valet tips. I guess it's cheaper than taking a cab to each venue.
    then i answered your question correctly.. there will always be those that go beyond the % window and it's nice to see/hear of generous folks.

  22. #22
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    13,167
    Servers in fast food places have a crappy deal. In highschool, I worked at a donut shop. I served customers, prepared takeout orders, worked cash, wiped the tables and chairs, loaded unloaded the dishwasher, mopped the floor and cleaned the washrooms etc. Some customers would try and rip me off (walk out without paying), flooded the washrooms, steal the cups and cutlery, and gave attitude, I guess because I was a teenager. I worked that job after school and weekends .

    I was paid a "student wage". I was never tipped by customers I guess because the perception is that it's fast food or takeout

    I started a career in nursing and what a difference! Some patients and family members often express their gratitude giving gifts of food, personal items and sometimes money for care provided. Professionally nurses are not to accept token gifts or personal gifts. But the differential between the 2 professions is huge.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  23. #23
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,553
    If it is a place I frequent I tip well. After just a few visits they recognize you as a tipper and you get incredible service, better food, faster and better seating, etc.
    So many trails... so little time...

  24. #24
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    If it is a place I frequent I tip well.
    why only the frequent place??

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I think they should get paid more and you should tip them if you want to.

    These people are poorly paid for working antisocial hours while being expected to be cheerful and pleasant at all times, even if ingrate customers are unpleasant to them. They deserve to be paid a reasonable wage and if you feel they've looked after you well you should feel free to tip them.

    I know the argument, well you don't tip other people, but I sometimes do actually. The local tyre fitters I use is a similar situation. The guys are not well paid, they work in grotty conditions in poor light and freeze in the winter. So I always tip them too, just to let them know I appreciate them.

    Spread a little love, the world feels nicer that way :0)
    Good one, Mr. Pig. I cannot rep you for that, apparently I have repped you already and I gotta wait.
    I owe some.

  26. #26
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    why only the frequent place??
    Chances are you go to the place frequently because of good service. Then the question is can you afford to go there every week and tip the same for ever? One good thing about growing up in a country without a tipping culture is the ability to appreciate service in a more personal way. I spent a lot of my life in the mountains. Tipping was always something you might do, because you were tipping a mate or someone who was part of the reason (community) you could live there.

    In truth, Australia's food service industry has only crawled out of the primordial slime in the last decade or so, mainly due to excessive regulation of every part of it. That also = increased cost to consumer and an increase in impersonal, but quality service. Combine that with big increases in the cost of living over the last decade and there seems to be a groundswell of generic service aimed at tips.

    If you tip everyone, then tips are meaningless, at least here. For now.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,457
    tipping, how much, and what is normal depends on the culture. I tend to over tip for good service and don't hesitate to tip little or not at all when service is lousy. Find that tipping the mail person, the garbage men etc., around xmas time comes back ten fold and makes for a more enjoyable and happy community. It also urkes me when there's tip jars everywhere, or when people feel entitled to a tip. Like in some restaurants where the tip is automatically put on the check.
    Round and round we go

  28. #28
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    If you tip everyone, then tips are meaningless, at least here. For now.
    if you don't take this mindset with you and simply offer it thats where it ends, why read/play more into it than is necessary?? as i've mentioned along with a few others, spreading it around when able is what makes this world go around, it's a gesture that comes from within so to dig deep and think all kinds of useless stuff is a waste, break the mold.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    38
    In Australia minimum wage is pretty good. Barely anyone tips alot, certainly not anything like 10%. Service is what you expect it works mostly.

    I really didn't mind tips in the us but 18% when I just spent 300 on a meal is pretty extreme. I'd rather reward the small operators who have smaller margins.

  30. #30
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    If it is a place I frequent I tip well. After just a few visits they recognize you as a tipper and you get incredible service, better food, faster and better seating, etc.
    This!

    Just the other day I was at a local outdoor bar/restaurant that I frequent. I know some of the servers by name and get very good service. This particular time I wasn't drinking but I still ordered the "free" chips and salsa and some happy hour food and an iced tea. I sat there at the bar for half hour maybe 45 min and my bill was $6.40 and I left a ten spot and walked.

    I wasn't charged for the chips even though they are priced on the menu and my tea was gratis as well. The bartender was noticeably pleased with the 50% tip. But I figured, normally I would have had a couple beers also and my tip would have reflected that. It just didn't seem right to leave $1.25 for the service I got.

  31. #31
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,163
    The bartender is lacking math skillz if he thought that was a 50% tip.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,348
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Some patients and family members often express their gratitude giving gifts of food, personal items and sometimes money for care provided.
    In Scotland that's standard practice too. I took two big boxes of chocolates in for the nurses on the ward my wife spent most of her time in, even though they weren't very good! ;0) One young nurse was kinda scary actually, borderline dangerous.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    If it is a place I frequent I tip well. After just a few visits they recognize you as a tipper and you get incredible service, better food, faster and better seating, etc.
    This is true. The tyre place I was talking about it like that, I don't bother phoning round for prices because they always give me a good price. The last time I bought two tyres I'd called up to see how much the tyres would cost but when I went to pay the manager said 'Oh, I got them a bit cheaper for you' and they cost me less than he'd said over the phone. He didn't need to do that, I was happy with the original price and the tyres were on the car. If you're nice to people they'll be nice back, a lot of the time anyway.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,119
    My sister is a server and needs her tips to thrive. Lately business hasn't been great since the weather has been cold and she's been struggling. She is good at her job, she works long hours/double shifts, works weekends and holidays, and she prides herself on making the visit to the restaurant an enjoyable experience because she depends on customers coming back. Certainly, there are aspects to her personality that make the job a good fit, but like everyone else she should get a decent wage on which she can live. Tipping is the system here in the US. Are there better systems like in Europe where they pay the staff livable wages? Probably, but since the system is already in place I tip 20%. I've also brought in treats and beverages for the LBS guys, it seems that goes over better than tips. I haven't given much outside of vocal praises to the staff of Children's, where my son has spent some time; however, I participate in fundraisers because I'm sure it's all about the kids. There is nothing wrong with giving the gold star when it's deserved and there is nothing wrong with acknowledging good and thoughtful service. I'll admit sometimes I've received poor service, I still tip but I don't go back. So, best case scenario is to either pay a livable wage for services rendered or keep the cost of living down. Since that's much tougher than it sounds apparently, I tip 20.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  34. #34
    nvphatty
    Guest
    ^^ good man db

  35. #35
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,817
    When I go back to visit family in Canada, I notice overall poor service. They have a higher minimum wage for servers, so I can only assume that they don't give a crap about their tips, so why bother being a good server?

    Some things I do not understand. Why do people tip at Starbucks? Really? I'm paying $3 for a brewed coffee and all you did was pour it into a cup (that is your job), not putting another dollar into the tip jar.

    I wish people tip'd me. lol

  36. #36
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,163
    I've noticed POS terminals asking for tips in places like deli's... uhhh NO.

  37. #37
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    When I go back to visit family in Canada, I notice overall poor service. They have a higher minimum wage for servers, so I can only assume that they don't give a crap about their tips, so why bother being a good server?

    Some things I do not understand. Why do people tip at Starbucks? Really? I'm paying $3 for a brewed coffee and all you did was pour it into a cup (that is your job), not putting another dollar into the tip jar.
    Not just *buckies but most coffee/tea houses for something lavish off the menu people will tip however for the brewed plain jane stuff not even i would.

  38. #38
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,817
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Not just *buckies but most coffee/tea houses for something lavish off the menu people will tip however for the brewed plain jane stuff not even i would.
    I guess I should re-word that, if I am at a local joint (ie, the owners *are* the workers, 1 store etc) then I do toss a buck in the jar once in a while.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I guess I should re-word that, if I am at a local joint (ie, the owners *are* the workers, 1 store etc) then I do toss a buck in the jar once in a while.
    This brings up an interesting point. My wife does not tip her hairdresser because she owns the business and obviously the profit is hers rather than going to corporate. There is a small coffee shop on campus where I work, i work on campus not the coffee shop, and the owner doesn't accept tips, but encourages it for his employees. Should you tip business owners or just the employees? Depends on the shop/service provided?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  40. #40
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    This brings up an interesting point. My wife does not tip her hairdresser because she owns the business and obviously the profit is hers rather than going to corporate. There is a small coffee shop on campus where I work, i work on campus not the coffee shop, and the owner doesn't accept tips, but encourages it for his employees. Should you tip business owners or just the employees? Depends on the shop/service provided?
    i could care less either way frankly as I'm there doing business and be it owner or employee that provides a service I will gladly leave a gratuity.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,119
    Same here, just wondering if there was a recognized exception for owners. Usually, small businesses need the dough, so I give anyway too.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  42. #42
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,817
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    This brings up an interesting point. My wife does not tip her hairdresser because she owns the business and obviously the profit is hers rather than going to corporate. There is a small coffee shop on campus where I work, i work on campus not the coffee shop, and the owner doesn't accept tips, but encourages it for his employees. Should you tip business owners or just the employees? Depends on the shop/service provided?
    Maybe it's just that the local places usually have better service? I dunno

  43. #43
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  44. #44
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,315
    Come down under.

    We pay most people a reasonable wage / salary / hourly rate. We also tip wait staff on a discretionary basis. If they are attentive, good at their job and do it with a smile they will get an extra 10% from me but never more than $20 (it's easy to hit a $200+ bill with groups). I would not consider tipping any other service industry people.

    I have had absolutely crap service stateside, particulalry in tourist areas where it would appear that staff have the attitude they are going to get tipped regardless so why bother trying. My wife and I have had arguments about whether or not to tip in this situation, I normally win and only the bill gets paid. This is obviously not the norm and generally my experience would suggest you get better service than we do.

  45. #45
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Come down under.

    We pay most people a reasonable wage / salary / hourly rate. We also tip wait staff on a discretionary basis. If they are attentive, good at their job and do it with a smile they will get an extra 10% from me but never more than $20 (it's easy to hit a $200+ bill with groups). I would not consider tipping any other service industry people.

    I have had absolutely crap service stateside, particulalry in tourist areas where it would appear that staff have the attitude they are going to get tipped regardless so why bother trying. My wife and I have had arguments about whether or not to tip in this situation, I normally win and only the bill gets paid. This is obviously not the norm and generally my experience would suggest you get better service than we do.
    my suggestion for you my good man dun under, go get a service industry job that has you depend on tippage and see how fast you learn the ways of of the world.....and no i ain't goin down under after the horror stories i've heard from folks.

    BTW if you find it difficult to properly leave a gratuity, stay home.

  46. #46
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,315
    We pay proper wages down here to start with and I think you will find that is the difference. I am more than happy to tip and leave gratuities but not just because it is expected. If your survival depends on my tip then earn it, don't just presume it will be there for you regardless of the level of service you provide for me.

    My comment about not tipping other service industries refers to here, not when I travel. I tip as per the custom of the country I am in under those circumstances but will not tip simply because it is expected.

    Edit: Not sure what my in my previous post warranted the flaming man icon, did I mistype what you comprehended or did you just have a really shitty day in a service industry? Never mind, the real question is what horror stories you have heard that would prevent you from wanting to visit The Great Southern Land?

  47. #47
    Broken Hipster
    Reputation: Barman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    821
    No tips mean the employer has to take up the slack and pay a living wage which in reality won't be near the income servers make with tips.
    So where will that living wage come from? You. Prices go up to cover the wages and most likely your service will be compromised as well when the establishment is staffed with "living wage" servers.
    I certainly don't want to go to a fine dining establishment, pay a bigger bill, and be served by Mickey D's washouts.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,457
    See your point Barman but it also creates a situation where the server is like a salesmen. Thanking you over and over, especially when the check comes. Not to mention getting you out as fast as possible so the next party/tip can be seated. We're going to pay for service weather it's through the restaurant with higher prices, or left up to the customer with a tip. Sure, if you're a cheapskate you should stay home and serve yourself, but for those who tip regardless of the servers performance simply because that's how they make money, think you should join some form of community service instead. I mostly over tip, but when service sucks my tip reflects that, and when the tip is automatically included and the service sucks, the manager might hear about their poor choice of including the tip on their own.
    Round and round we go

  49. #49
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    No tips mean the employer has to take up the slack and pay a living wage which in reality won't be near the income servers make with tips.
    So where will that living wage come from? You. Prices go up to cover the wages and most likely your service will be compromised as well when the establishment is staffed with "living wage" servers.
    I certainly don't want to go to a fine dining establishment, pay a bigger bill, and be served by Mickey D's washouts.
    the amount one would be paying would be the same. The amount of the bill would go up 15-20% which is about the same as with tips. Well unless some one is an el cheapo and doesn't leave a tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zomby Woof (MCM700)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    So, do you tip the valet dude that takes your car or the one that brings it back to you?
    If you have to pay for valet parking I don't see any reason for tipping. If its free valet parking then you could tip.

  51. #51
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post

    BTW if you find it difficult to properly leave a gratuity, stay home.

    no tip for crappy services sounds about right to me as well.

  52. #52
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,315
    I'm not sure what all this fuss is about, after all it is ...


Similar Threads

  1. Totally agree w/ this. Rock Lobster content.
    By colker1 in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
  3. Do You Agree With This Statement:
    By MrEconomics in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.