DIY COVID-19 Masks- Mtbr.com
    Pipe Dreamer

DIY COVID-19 Masks

Okay, let's face it, taking steps to protect ourselves from Coronavirus is now a legitimate concern. Let's step away from the drama in other threads and focus on something we may all need at some point in the near future; masks. We're a pretty crafty bunch, and I think we can figure out how to rig up some DIY masks, whaddya say?

I'm sure there's already stuff on the internetz, post away with whatever you find, genius or humorous, whatever. I think maybe pantyhose could be useful, wouldn't be as obvious as a regular mask, but I don't know about resistance to viruses. Would LEGGS brand be the best?
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Good stuff Corn.
    Iím not doing the mask and have been shaking plenty of hands. Havenít started licking door knobs yet.
    If I was older or compromised would probably opt for a wet suit and oxygen tank
    Round and round we go

Pipe Dreamer
    We could also do DIY hand sanitizer!

A waste of time it is is
    Not the video I was looking for but along a similar vain. Concertina a paper towel, Staple elastic bands to the ends. Bands over the ears, folded paper expanded over the mouth. Will do sweet FA but it will make people feel safe, and stop them from touching their mouth / nose.

Fart smeller
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-18-2.jpg
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Cycologist
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-screen-shot-2020-03-11-7.53.00-am.png
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Pipe Dreamer
    They say not to make your own mask because it won't be effective: https://www.menshealth.com/health/a3...-medical-mask/

mtbr member
    Being a cycling site, its only a matter of time before one fashions one out of a chamois...

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Being a cycling site, its only a matter of time before one fashions one out of a chamois...
    Öor a janky skull cap.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-untitled3_8.png
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

be1
    the beat goes on
    the thong mask - awesome. previously-worn probably cost more.
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iíve already ran this thought process.

Only problem is Iím not sure if you can breath through this material. But it does stop a lot of unwanted particulates, at least you have a choice, die of the virus or die of suffocation.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trimaco-3XL...hoCdWUQAvD_BwE

DIY COVID-19 Masks-3644fe27-481a-4e74-847d-729b78fb5479.jpg

Buy up some rubber bands as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Homemade recipes related to this virus:

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-u...flGxBBkhwoBI9R
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    Bike solutions accepted?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

CEO Product Failure
    I cannot find the article on masks, but what I read stated something like "the masks available to the public will not prevent/deter the virus. They will prevent deter you from touching your face--which is the bigger issue".

You can get as creative as you want with homemade masks (i.e. bra's, jock straps, Bane/Batman Halloween masks). Or you can try to consciously stop touching your face. I traveled (for work) for 15+ years. To prevent illness I would only use my left hand to touch my face. I'd open doors, shake hands, etc with my right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The CDC does not recommend wearing N95s masks for healthy people. Itís not going to help prevent you from getting the virus.

The CDC recommends masks for people already sick to help prevent transmission and recommends respirators that are fit tested and worn properly for medical workers when within 6í of a patent.

The biggest problem with the above is that a bunch of idiots are buying up all the masks and preventing the healthcare industry from having an adequate supply to use them properly.

So yeah.... If you are healthy and you are wearing a mask, you are creating an unhealthy situation for someone else that is in more need. Please stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    the thong mask - awesome. previously-worn probably cost more.
    Unwashed, even more...

Carry on.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Bike solutions accepted?
    Que the Seinfeld Bubble Boy episode...
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Your wish...

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Bike solutions accepted?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    I cannot find the article on masks, but what I read stated something like "the masks available to the public will not prevent/deter the virus. They will prevent deter you from touching your face--which is the bigger issue".

You can get as creative as you want with homemade masks (i.e. bra's, jock straps, Bane/Batman Halloween masks). Or you can try to consciously stop touching your face. I traveled (for work) for 15+ years. To prevent illness I would only use my left hand to touch my face. I'd open doors, shake hands, etc with my right.
    I will try to remember this when I'm out, I've already started using my left hand on doors today. I've always tried to grab handles on the outer parts instead of right in the middle where everyone else grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The CDC does not recommend wearing N95s masks for healthy people. Itís not going to help prevent you from getting the virus.

The CDC recommends masks for people already sick to help prevent transmission and recommends respirators that are fit tested and worn properly for medical workers when within 6í of a patent.

The biggest problem with the above is that a bunch of idiots are buying up all the masks and preventing the healthcare industry from having an adequate supply to use them properly.

So yeah.... If you are healthy and you are wearing a mask, you are creating an unhealthy situation for someone else that is in more need. Please stop.

I have read all the same. I do think there could be a time for the DIY mask, crafted in a way that would provide adequate protection, and I think it's possible to do so. If you look at videos from China, everyone is wearing a mask, and it seems that a lot of them are not providing complete protection from airborne contamination.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I"m trying to determine if this thread is a joke to keep matters light or if it's a legitimate "how do I make a mask?" question.

For everybody's health I seriously hope it's just a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I"m trying to determine if this thread is a joke to keep matters light or if it's a legitimate "how do I make a mask?" question.

I think [but Korn can confirm] it was meant as both. Offer up suggestions of good homemade masks or make a joke. One thing I donít joke about is the health or wellbeing of others. Iím pretty sure I havenít made any jokes towards this crisis in any of these threads.

mtbr member
    i just have one of these. not only is it a real gas mask, people stay far away from you. best of both worlds

DIY COVID-19 Masks-quarter1.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    ^^^ who wants to walk around with a Sarah Jessica Parker mask on...geez

Bikesexual
    First case in my neighborhood, already dead. Awesome. 60yr old woman that came from South Korea to visit family.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    First off, creating a custom mask is giving somebody (somebody who believes everybody) is more at risk with a useless mask.
    We aren't protecting yourself from sawdust inhalation -your favorite cotton material turned into a mask isn't going to protect against airborn virus.

The masks are most useful for those infected to not breathe it onto people more than it is to prevent met from inhaling your crud.

If this thread is about joking, great as long as people understand that making up crap that is called a mask won't protect themselves.

Wearing as mask is not as good as some people think. This Corona thing lives longer in moist areas. Breathing into a mask makes your face arid. You're contributing to a breeding ground, if you well, by wearing a mask if you aren't sick.

mtbr member
    ^^^ who wants to walk around with a Sarah Jessica Parker mask on...geez
    like I said, it keeps people away

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post

It was meant to be both. I agree that we don't need masks unless infected or needing to be around the infected, but if it comes to a point where people need masks and there aren't any available, I believe suitable ones can be made. I was just thinking the collective DIY brains of a lot of mtbrs could possibly come up with something if there was a need. But until then it would just be lighthearted. Now I'm thinking maybe it's going to be too hard for people actually read the thread, and take it for something it's not meant to be. Perhaps I'll have it closed...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 7.53.00 AM.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	1316555
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxpyZtzvTJ0

be1
    the beat goes on
    panty on your head. oh. sorry. i wasn't laughing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    He needs one of these ice cream man belts

Name:  D1439106-C3D6-4EF2-B1E8-ACE94398A5E0.jpeg
Views: 268
Size:  24.6 KB
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    My cousin has to do diy masks with cloth diapers. She needs them for work and her supplier cannot get them. She is a veterinarian surgeon. Someone who actually needs them

be1
    the beat goes on
    my gf has offered her feminine products in case i feel need for a face mask. to be honest i don't really know that much about them, but she says you don't even need straps. they already have tape or something.

i wonder about her sometimes...

Rabid Lana Fan
    Repost from the other coronathread.

This dude has it figured out. "Nuthin' gits through Bounty"

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Pipe Dreamer
    ^I couldn't even make it all the way through that, lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What is the purpose of wrapping a cloth diper over her face?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    ^I couldn't even make it all the way through that, lol.
    After the dog took a dump?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Pipe Dreamer

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Since this a bicycle forum

Try Lycra for a covid-19 mask!

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^Might be a good thing to use, don't know how breathable it is tho, try it out.

I wore my last semi-clean n95 mask to the grocery store today, didn't get too many looks as it's catching on, seeing quite a few others wearing them. Seen a couple people with ski gloves on, lol! I've probably got a half dozen masks laying around, I keep using them and don't throw them away till the straps break, but they're pretty worn and dirty and coated from being used for painting. Even my one clean mask isn't going to last for ever, so I am going to be making some of the cloth Olson type masks.

I've been going to the store for my folks quite often, and it looks like I'll be doing that for a while, so I want something that can be washed. I also think a homemade mask will be more comfortable, and quite frankly more stylish! I think the basic n95's look like you've got a styrofoam bowl strapped to your face!

Here's the patterns for the Olson mask:

https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapi...ttern%20v4.pdf

^^Might be a good thing to use, don't know how breathable it is tho, try it out.

I wore my last semi-clean n95 mask to the grocery store today, didn't get too many looks as it's catching on, seeing quite a few others wearing them. Seen a couple people with ski gloves on, lol! I've probably got a half dozen masks laying around, I keep using them and don't throw them away till the straps break, but they're pretty worn and dirty and coated from being used for painting. Even my one clean mask isn't going to last for ever, so I am going to be making some of the cloth Olson type masks.

I've been going to the store for my folks quite often, and it looks like I'll be doing that for a while, so I want something that can be washed. I also think a homemade mask will be more comfortable, and quite frankly more stylish! I think the basic n95's look like you've got a styrofoam bowl strapped to your face!

Here's the patterns for the Olson mask:

https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapi...ttern%20v4.pdf
    Just recycle your old tightly whities, not just the fabric but the waist band would make the perfect strap. Recycling at its best.

DIY COVID-19 Masks-6ba6738d-cdcb-45da-b82e-c2d07545f7dd.jpeg

Pipe Dreamer

I just got an email that says all Navy bases are requiring masks to be worn, or you'll be turned around at the gate. I'm wondering how the gate guards / MPs are going to control entry without having the personnel remove their masks to match face to I.D. Other than guidance on what types of masks are allowable (not full-face and "must be conservative and not offensive" lol), there's nothing on protocol. I guess on the positive side, traffic going onto bases is way down, so efficient flow is not going to be a priority.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    My wife found patterns for crochet masks. the crochet part holds the cloth fabric that you can change out.

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^Reminds me of the Beardo.

I just saw someone at the grocery store with a full respirator like I use for spraying lacquer, lol, nothing getting thru that thing!

I went as early as I could, there weren't too many people there so I didn't wear a mask. I tried to stay as far away from everybody as I could and held my breath passing people. Almost feel like at this point it's just easier to wear one than not. I see more and more every time I go out.

Light freak
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-coronavirus-crown-royal-mask.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^Reminds me of the Beardo.

I just saw someone at the grocery store with a full respirator like I use for spraying lacquer, lol, nothing getting thru that thing!

I went as early as I could, there weren't too many people there so I didn't wear a mask. I tried to stay as far away from everybody as I could and held my breath passing people. Almost feel like at this point it's just easier to wear one than not. I see more and more every time I go out.
    I have a actual military gas mask with a case of sealed canisters I got from a surplus store a few years back. it wasn't being crazy, but actually for a halloween costume.

as far as wearing a mask I always have a few in in my work truck and a buff just for work. I went past a store that had a sign that said you cannot come in without a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I have a actual military gas mask with a case of sealed canisters I got from a surplus store a few years back. it wasn't being crazy, but actually for a halloween costume.

as far as wearing a mask I always have a few in in my work truck and a buff just for work. I went past a store that had a sign that said you cannot come in without a mask.
    A few grocery stores started prohibiting people from bringing in their own shopping bags at least a week ago, now all are. Plastic, canvas, doesn't matter. Of course in CA they will still charge you 10Ę for each plastic bag you buy in the store.

I should try tying a canvas bag around my nose & mouth to act as a mask and see what they do.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Definitely seeing more people wearing gloves and masks. As far as I'm concerned this is a very good thing. On the other hand they're hard to come by and hopefully doesn't shame or further marginalize people with very few resources.

I have a friend I call Beirdo. Or should say used to have a friend I called Beirdo until he found the source of why everyone was calling him Beirdo. Beirdo, if you're listening man nicknames are terms of endearment.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Can't wait for the trails to dry out.

DIY COVID-19 Masks-trailmask.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^Might get tired of wearing that pretty quickly.

^^Might get tired of wearing that pretty quickly.
    That's just a prototype. My Ardent Race is wicked light!
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I've got a minimalist Ver tire that ought to do nicely. Makes a point, I think.
    Just call me Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I've got a minimalist Ver tire that ought to do nicely. Makes a point, I think.
    A studded ice tire would make a great point. Or a bunch of them.
    Go Fact Yourself.

9 lives
    Jughead

DIY COVID-19 Masks-92213592_10216707868321491_5380886619299512320_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-9971-73a1428dd2980244b72d7556c1d48d6b-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Or this one:
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-bane-dark-knight-rises-tom-hardy-31412665-535-364.jpg

He's my new avatar for the Covid 19 crisis.

mtbr member
    I just came across this mask that gave me a laugh, an Alien face hugger mask:
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-alien-facehugger-face-mask.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Or this one:

Name:	Bane-The-Dark-Knight-Rises-tom-hardy-31412665-535-364.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	1323579

He's my new avatar for the Covid 19 crisis.
    yea but I can't understand you.... Mmm mm mmmm mmmm MMMM!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    More people with home made masks made from fabric, with the government not giving firm advice across the board its hard to say if they will be effective or not.

Be better to know what materials are needed to make a N95 mask or a less quality surgical mask.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Here is mine, a friend of the family is making them:

DIY COVID-19 Masks-img-20200410-wa0003.jpg

I work at a Hospital and we are screened everyday when we arrive before we are allowed to gain access to work. The only way to physically enter any of our buildings now is via the screening locations.

Because of this we are not required to have facemasks on while at work, HOWEVER, due to how this might be perceived by patients visiting the hospital for treatment the operations group decided that starting Monday all employees need to have them on when in area's with other people where we cannot isolate.

Lucky for me when I am at my desk working I don't have to have it on because My Cube is very private. But I wear it when moving about the hallways and elevators.

now, that said, there seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread as to why the CDC is recommending different types of face-masks.

The DIY Cloth face-masks are NOT to prevent you from ingesting the virus and developing COVID19. The PRIMARY purpose (this info came from our head epidemiologist in a company town hall this week) is to stop the spread of Droplets in the case of a person sneezing or coughing. That way, if a person has no symptoms, but is currently contagious, those droplets stay in the mask instead of spreading to surfaces that others might touch.

If you have symptoms DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE UNLESS YOU URGENTLY NEED TO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How often can you reuse the N95 masks or surgical masks. I read a few articles saying how they need to find a way to clean those masks mentioned to reuse them.

Theres a shipment coming in in 4 days from a reputable supplier, so I will buy as many as I can to help out.

9 lives
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-91870529_10216707869281515_7259684869972688896_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    How often can you reuse the N95 masks or surgical masks. I read a few articles saying how they need to find a way to clean those masks mentioned to reuse them.

Theres a shipment coming in in 4 days from a reputable supplier, so I will buy as many as I can to help out.
    I've been wearing masks for over 25 years. A couple years ago I bought a 10pack of n95 masks and half of them are still floating around in my garage and tool boxes. I wear them till the straps break, and most of them are pretty dirty, I don't have a problem wearing them when I need to spray something or sand, been doing it for years. I have one that's still pretty clean and I wear it when I go to the stores, don't plan on throwing it away, it's not like I'm going out jogging in a heat wave with it on, it stays clean enough. I still want to make a cloth one that I can wash.

DIY COVID-19 Masks-4756753481819840566.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

9 lives

The surgical masks which are worn for general patient care are flimsy and tear (they are meant more to protect the patient and prevent the wearer from touching their face). All staff in clinical areas are required to wear these at all times except during breaks. They are disposed when they become soiled or damaged.

The N95s are sturdier and are worn during aerosol proceedures like CPR or intubation or for care of a sympomatic patient/droplet precautions. Providing they are not damaged, can be sterilized x5.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Meatbomb
    I went to a funeral for my brother in law today, Hugged probably 20 people. I'm part of the problem.

mtbr member
    The thing is about the N95 masks, since the only people who can get them are actual medical personnel we might as well wear any kind of filter mask we can get our hands on. It's not going to make a difference anyway. I've seen some nice athletic type masks on Amazon. All those other types with the pleats (usually come in blue) aren't N95 and don't really seal against your face. I saw people wearying them today below their noses. I was thinking about getting one of these from Amazon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY COVID-19 Masks-61uc96qi8yl._ac_sl1200_.jpg  

DIY COVID-19 Masks-61ht0ctccel._ac_sl1000_.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I found several places that are selling N95 masks to the public that are reputable.

There might be a limit to how many you can purchase online. I actually have not checked, and nothing was written about a limit, but you know how that goes, it might pop up during checkout.

Since n95 masks can be worn multiple times then save them and see what cleaning is required. I have elderly to take care of who have extra circumstances so its critical.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I went to a funeral for my brother in law today, Hugged probably 20 people. I'm part of the problem.
    That is tough, sorry to hear it hope you are doing ok.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just took a look at the sources, sold out until May, but there are other alternatives such as N95 prefilters mainly used with half face mask respirators, along with cartridges.
    Pre filters - $1.70 to $3.00 each.
    Mask - $20-$30

9 lives
    These stick to your face... no earloops!

DIY COVID-19 Masks-92288676_10216707876121686_7720229286795280384_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

DIY COVID-19 Masks

Thatís actually not a bad idea. Feminine product I assume. I guess it would work in a pinch.

Draw fangs dripping with blood on it and re-use it for Halloween as a "period costume."
    Go Fact Yourself.

No known cure
    My county requires masks so I sewed up a double layer mask with a third layer of hepa filter in the middle. I used the filter material from a furnace filter. I have masks from work in the OR but I don't want sheep to think I'm hoarding medical masks.

I'm fairly certain I had the virus at the end of November and I only go out for groceries, but an ounce of prevention and all that.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Pipe Dreamer
    Watch out where you get the hepa filter from!

No known cure
    Watch out where you get the hepa filter from!

Thanks for the heads up. It's been removed and replaced with fabric backing called stabilizer.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    so the government(s) / WHO... lied and told us "you don't need masks" to give them time to try to buy / build masks to cover their own stupidity...

why people aren't out in the streets baying for blood at this point is something of a mystery.....

I have some masks from the Woolsey fire awhile ago... but jesus christ... what a shit show this whole deal is.

many institutions / governments need to fall in the wake of this cluster f*ck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    but jesus christ... what a shit show this whole deal is.
    many institutions / governments need to fall in the wake of this cluster f*ck.
    This will undoubtedly further concentrate wealth and power.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    This will undoubtedly further concentrate wealth and power.

unless we line them up against the f*cking wall and shoot them... ???? maybe ...

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The surgical masks which are worn for general patient care are flimsy and tear (they are meant more to protect the patient and prevent the wearer from touching their face). All staff in clinical areas are required to wear these at all times except during breaks. They are disposed when they become soiled or damaged.

The N95s are sturdier and are worn during aerosol proceedures like CPR or intubation or for care of a sympomatic patient/droplet precautions. Providing they are not damaged, can be sterilized x5.
    Iíve been wearing work issued surgical style masks at work. The N95ís which I also have Iíve been wearing mostly in my free time. Curious what your procedure is for sterilization for multiple uses?

DIY COVID-19 Masks-5eebfe5c-d939-4ebc-8b3f-bd69fc02a61a.jpg

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator

At the Hospital the N95's are being hung out in an Operating Room on strings and one of our UV Room Cleaners is put in there and cycled. The UV machine is so powerful we have to pur motion sensors on the room doors in case someone accidentally tries to go in during cleaning it will shut off the device.

Outside of intense UV light I am not sure how well the N95's can be cleaned. The regular surgical masks we have are single use only.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    The thing is about the N95 masks, since the only people who can get them are actual medical personnel we might as well wear any kind of filter mask we can get our hands on. It's not going to make a difference anyway. I've seen some nice athletic type masks on Amazon. All those other types with the pleats (usually come in blue) aren't N95 and don't really seal against your face. I saw people wearying them today below their noses. I was thinking about getting one of these from Amazon.
    The CDC recommendation to wear a mask in public is not to protect YOU from getting the virus, it is to stop YOU from sneezing or coughing possible germs onto surfaces others might touch.

That is why they are recommending basic cloth masks.

This is not an Airborne Virus, you don't need a respirator to stay healthy. This is a Droplet virus, it is very rare that someone will sneeze or cough and YOU will walk into a "cloud" of droplets and injest the Virus.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Iíve been wearing work issued surgical style masks at work. The N95ís which I also have Iíve been wearing mostly in my free time. Curious what your procedure is for sterilization for multiple uses?
    We don't have an autoclave to sterilized it

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Pipe Dreamer

^Jughead!
    Go Fact Yourself.

CEO Product Failure
    We made our own cloth masks. The masks were sewn with a pocket. We place vacuum cleaner bags (with Hepa filters) into the pocket. Effective, yes. Effective as an N95 mask, no.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    We made our own cloth masks. The masks were sewn with a pocket. We place vacuum cleaner bags (with Hepa filters) into the pocket. Effective, yes. Effective as an N95 mask, no.
    how small of a vacuum cleaner do you have that an entire bag fits inside a face-mask? Are they Vacuum Cleaners for Ants?

MTBR Posting Guidelines

This is what I need. Iíve been wearing a mask at work for two weeks and Iím still lifting to take a sip of a beverage without realizing Iím masked up. Scalpel please.

9 lives
    DIY COVID-19 Masks-93374114_10219965772267303_1564230830119714816_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    You made me laugh.
    Then I made the wife laugh.
    Your sense of humor is infectious....
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

DIY COVID-19 Masks-iv4vfr36o6u41.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    This guy does a pretty thorough replication of an N95 taking DIY to the next level, pretty funny too.

And if you really want to LYAO check out his cat repellent videos, lol!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post

Name:	4756753481819840566.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	1323631
    this horse got it right

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coro...-mask-ppe.html

It appears masks will be the new norm for many as shelter-in-place is eased. We made our own masks (two layers of cotton which create a pocket) and placed hepa filtered vacuum cleaner bags (cut out sections, doubled over-read article for details). Other than my (eye) glasses fogging up, they're as comfortable as a bandana or Buff.

mtbr member
    My cousin made me some masks. I have them stashed in different cars and my packs.

She sells them and donated a whole bunch to healthcare workers.

DIY COVID-19 Masks-mask.jpg

Pipe Dreamer
    Still haven't made any masks yet, but planning on it soon. Has anyone else?

Still looking for ideas, maybe something a bit more cheerful?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Still haven't made any masks yet, but planning on it soon. Has anyone else?
    Lots of people are making fabric masks, some are selling them. I purchased a bunch for $5 each for bulk pricing. Small orders they wanted $10.

Pipe Dreamer
    Hmm, what's this? https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/devo-r...-face-shields/

Devo releases Energy Dome face shields to Ďwhipí the coronavirus

I saw this twice today at the store.

And some chuckle-knuckles call people who wear their masks inside of cars "idiots."

DIY COVID-19 Masks-ufgfvjl.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member

DIY COVID-19 Masks

I saw this twice today at the store.

And some chuckle-knuckles call people who wear their masks inside of cars "idiots."

Name:	ufGFVJl.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	1333403
    Haha...

I was in a sandwich shop a few weeks ago and there was a lady where each time she spoke...she would pull the mask down. I wanted to tell her thatís not the way it works.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    My cousin made me some masks. I have them stashed in different cars and my packs.

She sells them and donated a whole bunch to healthcare workers.

Name:	mask.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	1328321
    Do they have a bendable strip that conforms to the shape of your nose?

My parents have those without the strip and it lets a lot of air pass on the sides of the nose. I'm going to be making my masks mainly for them because of that.

I'm starting with this design and adding a few tweaks, along with straps that go around the head instead of the ears. Not sure what I'm using for the straps yet, I've got some black and grey digi-camo pants that I'll use for the fabric, tactical face masks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Fabric masks only really saves the mask wearing from spreading SARS-CoV-2 to others around them, through a sneeze, or speaking moistly. The water molecule and the covid19 molecule sorrounded by the fat layer can still come in from the outside air, through the fabric, and into your breath passageway. Lots of the mainstream stores did not have any N95 masks at all, thats the one to wear, if you can find them. I am well stocked up for the past weeks for N95/N99 so I havent done any rounds of the usual suppliers for N95 masks. Surgical masks are hard to find as well, though I did stumble upon some at the drug store in the hospital, where I bought a few boxes of 150 masks, at $50. Seemed expensive at first, but at $0.33 a mask its actually quite reasonable. How much were they before the pandemic hit, news reports said $0.15 cents but never said if that was retail or commercial pricing. Also on the legal side of things, in the news people have been charged with gouging, but from a major news story, there is no legal term for what defines price gouging thats on the books. It'd be interesting to see where those charges go, I bet they get dropped.

Not sure what I'm using for the straps yet,
    Strips of old inner tubes!
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    Makes my head hurt just thinking of all hair being the pulled out sticking to the rubber! Maybe that wouldn't happen, perhaps I'll try it.

Awesome Straps, I was thinking of using Velcro somehow actually! (still may snag some hair)

Makes my head hurt just thinking of all hair being the pulled out sticking to the rubber! Maybe that wouldn't happen, perhaps I'll try it.

Awesome Straps, I was thinking of using Velcro somehow actually! (still may snag some hair)
    I was thinking of something free that you might already have on hand. Yeah, they might snag some hair.

Women's hair bands seem to have some fabric-y covering on them, but they don't seem to be big enough to be useful, unless you can find a way to join 2 or 3 together to make a longer band.

Or just use non-stretchy cordage with a DIY tensioner, like a 1" strip of plastic cut from a soda or milk bottle, with 2 holes cut/punched near each end.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    I probably have a half dozen old dirty N95 masks with usable straps I could take, lot's of options for non-stretch, I've got some paracord.

This is an easy-ish one: https://youtu.be/FCBSKGOJtEE

I watched this last night, which goes over lots of stuff: https://youtu.be/N4r8nwFdUxY

Pipe Dreamer
    Fabric masks only really saves the mask wearing from spreading SARS-CoV-2 to others around them, through a sneeze, or speaking moistly. The water molecule and the covid19 molecule sorrounded by the fat layer can still come in from the outside air, through the fabric, and into your breath passageway. Lots of the mainstream stores did not have any N95 masks at all, thats the one to wear, if you can find them. I am well stocked up for the past weeks for N95/N99 so I havent done any rounds of the usual suppliers for N95 masks. Surgical masks are hard to find as well, though I did stumble upon some at the drug store in the hospital, where I bought a few boxes of 150 masks, at $50. Seemed expensive at first, but at $0.33 a mask its actually quite reasonable. How much were they before the pandemic hit, news reports said $0.15 cents but never said if that was retail or commercial pricing. Also on the legal side of things, in the news people have been charged with gouging, but from a major news story, there is no legal term for what defines price gouging thats on the books. It'd be interesting to see where those charges go, I bet they get dropped.
    I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of non-N95 masks, especially the DIY cloth versions. Mine will have multiple layers and a pocket in between for additional filtration membranes, and hopefully a good fit.

This is going to be around for quite a while, might as well get used to it. My goal is to make something that's stylish and less dorky, which I'll be more inclined to use. My single decent 3M mask is starting to fade, the fibers on the inside are getting frayed and it's becoming unpleasant up against my mouth, time for something washable.

mtbr member

DIY COVID-19 Masks

Do they have a bendable strip that conforms to the shape of your nose?

My parents have those without the strip and it lets a lot of air pass on the sides of the nose. I'm going to be making my masks mainly for them because of that.

I'm starting with this design and adding a few tweaks, along with straps that go around the head instead of the ears. Not sure what I'm using for the straps yet, I've got some black and grey digi-camo pants that I'll use for the fabric, tactical face masks!
    No they donít. I think sheís making a V2 version of her mask where there is a removable filter element of some kind.

I think I need some air to move inside the mask. I know that kinda defeats the purpose of the mask...but it just feels so stuffy. I tried a N95 and it was really uncomfortable. I really try and avoid people as much as I can these days. I havenít been around anyone since the stay at home orders. Itís pretty much just my GF and me. Sheís been working from home. Still riding regularly though.

Wearing a mask is like having the climate control on my car on recirculate.

mtbr member
    Why would a healthy person in an uncompromising circumstance wear a mask reducing oxygen levels in blood and a sick person be put on a ventilator.......
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A mask with a valve on it can reduce the fogging of the eye glasses, but reports floating around YT state washing the glasses with dish soap helps reduce fogging. I have not purchased a mask with a valve on it.

San Francisco Department of Public Health said "ďStill seeing a lot of these masks out there, it's confusing, because they are called N95 ó but the ones with the **valves** or openings on the front are NOT safe, and may actually propel your germs further!Ē the tweet reads."
    "Essentially, if the wearer were to sneeze or cough, infectious droplets could travel through the one-way valve, possibly putting someone near them at risk for contracting COVID-19 or another respiratory illness.

Valved N95 masks are not typically used in a medical setting, though they are said to make breathing easier, according to a 2008 study on the masks. In general, N95s help to ďreduce the wearerís exposure to airborne particles, from small particle aerosols to large droplets,Ē according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In a follow-up tweet, a local San Francisco fire department showed that the vented masks can still be of use if they are worn with a surgical mask or other cloth covering over them. City health officials, meanwhile, suggested covering the valve with tape." END QUOTE

I have actually seen people wear a surgical mask and I assume a N95 mask.

Pipe Dreamer
    Not too bad for my first attempt! I used the pocket material from the same Zoo York brand pants I cut up for the outer layer. Did the glasses test to see if they would fog up and that went well.

DIY COVID-19 Masks-jdxch1szdkz41.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Gotta wear shades indoors, thats when you know your cool, but not only wear shades indoors but also wear a cloth mask, uber coolness inside your own home.

Pipe Dreamer
    Gotta wear shades indoors, thats when you know your cool, but not only wear shades indoors but also wear a cloth mask, uber coolness inside your own home.
    I was doing the glasses/fog test with my Hotcakes you knob.

Cycologist
    I offered that to my wife and she wasn't too keen on the idea.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Pipe Dreamer
    The best thing about my new masks is the fact that my glasses don't fog up. Since I've been getting in to woodworking the 3M N95 masks have been a pain, I have to put my glasses further out on my nose so they don't fog up, and they fall off a lot like that. My DIY masks should be totally adequate in regards to dust filtration, plus they're way more comfortable and don't fog my glasses, what's not to like?