~Disc~Golf~

Disposing of US Flag

this sure got my neighbors down the street mad - one of those 'Mericans
    One yelled, "what the hell do you think are you doing?!"
    I replied, "disposing of my flag"

I went down to talk to them personally when I was done and they would hear none of it. I told them I was a Vet. and knew a thing or two - that stumped them for a second, but still carried on about how disrespectful and unpatriotic I was or something.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Sweep the leg!
    You did it right. There's a water ski shop down the street from me that had an extremely tattered US flag on their pole.I stopped in one day to tell him that if he would like to patriotically dispose of it he could call the VFW nearby or the Boy Scouts and they'd take care of it. He got a bit pissy about how "I earned that flag and I'll display it how I damn well feel like"

I replied "I get that, but as a Vet my self it saddens my heart to see a faded and tattered flag on home soil."

Later that week he had a new one on the pole.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

All fat, all the time.
    I always thought it was a bit weird that the proper way is to burn it.......maybe fold it up and burn in a container so your neighbors dont get pissy?

Sweep the leg!
    It's usually the protest signs surrounding the burning flag that piss people off.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    hmm, i always pictured the flag being folded in the traditional triangle shape with the stars on the outside for burning.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I always thought it was a bit weird that the proper way is to burn it.......maybe fold it up and burn in a container so your neighbors dont get pissy?
    I didn't have a container (other than my BBQ) and my back yard is dry - so I thought the front lawn to be the safer - problem is uneducated neighbors

You can also bury it...but burning is preferred

here's my new one -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disposing of US Flag-new-flag.jpg  

Big B's Trails
    Well, sort of, highdell. While burning it IS correct. You didn't actually follow protocol for retiring the flag.
    1. You cut the field out of the flag(separating the stars and stripes).
    2. You then respectfully fold the rest of the flag set it in the fire with the stars placed on top of the folded part.
    Just so you know, since your a vet btw; Thank You for Your Service, Sir.
    I dig dirt!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I didn't have a container (other than my BBQ) and my back yard is dry - so I thought the front lawn to be the safer - problem is uneducated neighbors

You can also bury it...but burning is preferred

here's my new one -
    Man what you need to do is burn that 48 flag and get a proper 99 flag up there!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

EDR
    I- so I thought the front lawn to be the safer - problem is uneducated neighbors
    -
    You didn't do it b/c you thought it would be "safer". You did it in the front yard for the shock value. You even took pictures knowing full well this might stir up the neighbors. The left turn flag explains everything though.

Big B's Trails
    I'm one of dem dare eagle scouts they refer too....
    I dig dirt!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Well, sort of, highdell. While burning it IS correct. You didn't actually follow protocol for retiring the flag.
    1. You cut the field out of the flag(separating the stars and stripes).
    2. You then respectfully fold the rest of the flag set it in the fire with the stars placed on top of the folded part.
    Just so you know, since your a vet btw; Thank You for Your Service, Sir.
    I never heard that - where did you get that info?

I appreciate any correction to my actions

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    The left turn flag explains everything though.
    ok...I , um

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    You didn't do it b/c you thought it would be "safer". You did it in the front yard for the shock value. You even took pictures knowing full well this might stir up the neighbors. The left turn flag explains everything though.
    you are partly correct - I knew there might be people that didn't know what's up... I also didn't want to leave someone potentially uneducated by burning the flag in the seclusion of my backyard - sometimes it takes some 'shock' to educate.
    That was only partly my reason, but a good reason that fit w/ me.

The main reason, was that my flag is in the front yard, and I might as well dispose of it right there (the fire-danger thing being very real too ) because, why not? dammit!

mtbr member
    Theres only one thing we can gather from this.... you must be a terrorist!!!!

...im just kidding. Thanks for your service though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    On my base we take old flags to the Boy Scouts for disposal.

Titanium junkie
    Not aimed at anybody, but what scares me is the lack of
    knowledge people have about the country they live in.
    How many stars or stripes on Old Glory, can they recite the Declaration of Independence...
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

~Disc~Golf~
    there should be 51

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    It's usually the protest signs surrounding the burning flag that piss people off.
    From this vet's point of view I think it's this plus the stomping and spitting that usually gets people riled up. That and when it's another countries population carrying all this hooplah out.

You did good man, no worries. Just get your neighbors some literature, and I guess next time we should all follow the proper-proper procedure that someone else posted.

mtbr member
    there should be 51
    I thought the 48 flag meant you only recognized 48 States? I could understand that stance if
    you were excluding New York and Florida. (Simmer down I don't hate Florida and New York there great states. I just don't like pompous Yankees that come from there)

fading away
    Waaaaaaaaaay back in 1976 I remember my teachers in school telling me that a U.S. flag would only last “soooooooooo long” before it needed to be retired by fire or a firing squad. I remember the lame retardo custodian (when I was in 1st - 2nd grade) leaving the flag out in the rain and the school principle was freakin livid with his liberal ass; she ended up dying from a heart attack in 1992—I was OK with that since she spanked me in front of the entire 2nd and 3rd grade classes and told my fellow schoolmates that I was retarded. **** her, stupid b¡tch. Rest in pieces.

Holy crap I am off topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I believe I was a drunk potty mouth when I wrote this.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 05-13-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    I just dont understand the American patriotism to the flag, and I was amazed how many flags I saw around the place when I visited, to be honest it was a little scarey.
    I love both of my homeland countries, cant say I'd get too riled up over someone burning the flag though, drop some bombs on them and then I'll get pissed off.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    I just dont understand the American patriotism to the flag
    Are you serious?! We live in the best country in the world, and our flag IS what represents us! I have lost many friends who have been buried under that flag, and everyone of them would tell you the same thing.

I only have one picture of my arm, but here is an example of how much the American flag means to me- (surgery #1 of 6)

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disposing of US Flag-uploadfromtaptalk1336884867096.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh, found another one-

-James Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disposing of US Flag-uploadfromtaptalk1336884975719.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just dont understand the American patriotism to the flag

For me the American flag mainly represents the many servicemen/women that have died in service to this country. If you want to call that patriotism, I guess I've got a big dose of it.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    Theres only one thing we can gather from this.... you must be a terrorist!!!!

...im just kidding. Thanks for your service though.
    Highdell is his cover. His real name is Mohamedelll.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyrides07 View Post
    Are you serious?! We live in the best country in the world, and our flag IS what represents us! I have lost many friends who have been buried under that flag, and everyone of them would tell you the same thing.

I only have one picture of my arm, but here is an example of how much the American flag means to me- (surgery #1 of 6)

-James Dean
    The guy you are responding to is not from the US, so his take may be different that many of us - as far as 'best country in the world' - even I have my doubts sometimes and think maybe Antarctica is (yeah, I know it's not a country) or New Zealand (country most like Cali), but anyways... what's the story w/ the surgery?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Highdell is his cover. His real name is Mohamedelll.
    you forgot Hussein.

Borat Hussein Mohamedelll

mtbr member
    as far as 'best country in the world' - even I have my doubts sometimes and think maybe Antarctica is (yeah, I know it's not a country) or New Zealand (country most like Cali), but anyways... what's the story w/ the surgery?
    1. If you don't think we're the best country in world then you can GTFO! Seriously, go live in Antarctica or New Zealand for a few years and lets see if you come back with a different view
    2. California??? You think California is great?!... I love the vibe of SoCal and the land. California's government is what's stopping me from moving back down there- they're horribly controlling and have regulated EVERYTHING. Cali has taxes galore too. To each their own though. I guess some people like giving their money away to people who throw it away LOL
    3. I'm Airborne Infantry, and my body has just been hammered from the job. I opted to get out of active duty so I can finish school and repair my body. I'm in Alaska's NG LRS unit now (since summer of 2011). Once I recover from all my surgeries I'll try for a cop job. If all else fells, I'll see if I can get back into AD as an officer. I'm looking at starting the commissioning process for the NG their next class opening....

And lastly, thank you for disposing of the American flag correctly. Although, I'm going to look into what that other Guy said... I'd never done that before???

-James Dean

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Oh, found another one-
    nice ink.

just say no to the flag on the UA logo. it's not just disrespectful, it's against the (unenforced) law at least according to some people:
    §176. Respect for flag
    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
    (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
    (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
    (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
    (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 05-13-2012 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no Im not from the US, Im an Australian (living in Switzerland), and we generally only flag wave on one day a year, Australia Day, therefore my different take to you guys, and why with the amount of flags and patriotism I was a little freaked out when I was in the US, but hey whatever floats your boat
    Hard to be patriotic when everyone's a convict and didn't want to be left on that island in the first place......bada ding!

j/p with ya there

cmg
    The guy you are responding to is not from the US, so his take may be different that many of us
    no Im not from the US, Im an Australian (living in Switzerland), and we generally only flag wave on one day a year, Australia Day, therefore my different take to you guys, and why with the amount of flags and patriotism I was a little freaked out when I was in the US, but hey whatever floats your boat

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Waaaaaaaaaay back in 1976 I remember my teachers in school telling me that a U.S. flag would only last “soooooooooo long” before it needed to be retired by fire or a firing squad. I remember the lame retardo custodian (when I was in 1st - 2nd grade) leaving the flag out in the rain and the school principle was freakin livid with his liberal ass; she ended up dying from a heart attack in 1992—I was OK with that since she spanked me in front of the entire 2nd and 3rd grade classes and told my fellow schoolmates that I was retarded. **** her, stupid b¡tch. Rest in pieces.

Holy crap I am off topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Settle down Beavis and take your meds!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

banned
    Feb 2012
    +1. I have been living in the US for almost a decade now and the "flag issue" is a very interesting one to experience. I do not think any other nation has this sort of an obsession about their country symbols. I am not saying it is for better or worse, it is simply different. Just reading these debates about a proper method of disposal without having any comparable cultural background makes you say "wow!".

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    +1. I have been living in the US for almost a decade now and the "flag issue" is a very interesting one to experience. I do not think any other nation has this sort of an obsession about their country symbols. I am not saying it is for better or worse, it is simply different. Just reading these debates about a proper method of disposal without having any comparable cultural background makes you say "wow!".
    The United States, from inception, was destined to lead the world. We have never and will never disguard our traditions, freedoms or way of life because it's not the way the rest of the world is.
    Has honor, respect and patriotism become an American only trait? No wonder the rest of the world reverse engineers everything about our society and then adopts it for their own.

Respect for the red, pride in the white and honor in the blue. Till death!
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Ride More, Work Less
    The key is a "dignified manner".

Here is a quick story to help calibrate what a dignified manner could mean. Each memorial day our pack and troop would place flags on the tombstones of all the soldiers buried at our charter organization church. This church just happened to be one of the oldest churches in the country, founded 1706, so there were people buried that served in nearly every war the US had ever fought.

In 2008, we had a flag retirement ceremony in conjunction with the flag placement ceremony to retire a few flags that belonged to the church. One of the church members brought the flag from her husband's funeral during WWII. This was the flag that covered the coffin during his return to the states. She never remarried and didn't have any family to pass the flag to. In the twilight of her life, she wanted to retire the flag properly.

The flag was cut into individual stripes and the union of stars remained as one. Each stripe was placed on an open fire by 13 boys scouts. She placed the union on fire at the end. There was a moment of silence and many tears. This event certainly met the criterion for a dignified manner.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    The United States, from inception, was destined to lead the world. We have never and will never disguard our traditions, freedoms or way of life because it's not the way the rest of the world is.
    Hey I love America for all its beauties and faults and pragmatism and pathos, but If I wanted to be sarky, I could simply have said "Sure, as long as the Chinese lend us so we can pay for those". But I am a nice guy so I won't say that.

Titanium junkie
    Hey I love America for all its beauties and faults and pragmatism and pathos, but If I wanted to be sarky, I could simply have said "Sure, as long as the Chinese lend us so we can pay for those". But I am a nice guy so I won't say that.
    Some of you must have known this was gonna bring me out of the woodwork.
    For a guy enjoying the Freedom this Country has provided,
    you sure seem to relish taking shot's at it, and those who would defend it.
    What brought you to America anyway, A better life?
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think part of the American allegiance to the flag itself is that we are brought as being very visual learners. We have to have something tangible and visible for us to believe in it. Its also serves as a bit of a nametag, and indentity. I could wear a shirt with a flag on it and anyone from anywhere could immediately recognize that im either American or an American supporter. The flag has also been given its own identity through the things we have done with it and used it for. When I see it I kind of replay in my mind all the historical events in which Ive seen it, such as the moon landing, and it reminds me of the things we as a country have accomplished.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Some of you must have known this was gonna bring me out of the woodwork.
    For a guy enjoying the Freedom this Country has provided,
    you sure seem to relish taking shot's at it, and those who would defend it.
    What brought you to America anyway, A better life?
    Absolutely, and I am the first one to admit that! Am I taking shots at America or at some pompous statements of some fellow Americans? All I have said is that I find these rituals interesting.

I do not want to drag this thread into a WTF category so let me stop right here and apologies to the OP for taking it even more off camber.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    I'm one of dem dare eagle scouts they refer too....
    plus one. brotherhood OA, too and 1977 national jamboree.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Not aimed at anybody, but what scares me is the lack of
    knowledge people have about the country they live in.
    How many stars or stripes on Old Glory, can they recite the Declaration of Independence...
    Most think DC is a state and can only quote part of the 2nd Amendment.

I was watching a "Repo Games" last week and one of the questions was "name the mainland states that border the pacific"

the mother and daughter (40's & 20's) started their answer with... "Florida, North Carolina, Maine, there's so many..."

Sweep the leg!
    you forgot Hussein.

Did you have your passport photo taken with or without your hijab?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    +1. I have been living in the US for almost a decade now and the "flag issue" is a very interesting one to experience. I do not think any other nation has this sort of an obsession about their country symbols. ...
    you clearly have never been to Brazil...

or Texas for that matter....

Click Here for Forum Rules

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Hard to be patriotic when everyone's a convict and didn't want to be left on that island in the first place......bada ding!
    interesting comment, my guess is you've never been

funny thing is, the Poms (English) sent their convicts to Australia as punishment, having been in England several times, and lived in Aus for a long time, I know what I'd prefer

I forgot to mention we are also patriotic on ANZAC Day, when we remember our fallen diggers, lest we forget, (Australian New Zealand Army Corps)

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    plus one. brotherhood OA, too and 1977 national jamboree.
    Plus one Order of the Arrow brotherhood, but I only made it to Life scout. Quitting before I made Eagle is one of my only regrets in life. Especially since my reasoning was based on a summer job.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Patriotism: Supporting your Country ALL THE TIME; and, your government when it deserves it - MARK TWAIN
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    1. If you don't think we're the best country in world then you can GTFO! Seriously, go live in Antarctica or New Zealand for a few years and lets see if you come back with a different view
    2. California??? You think California is great?!... I love the vibe of SoCal and the land. California's government is what's stopping me from moving back down there- they're horribly controlling and have regulated EVERYTHING. Cali has taxes galore too. To each their own though. I guess some people like giving their money away to people who throw it away LOL
    3. I'm Airborne Infantry, and my body has just been hammered from the job. I opted to get out of active duty so I can finish school and repair my body. I'm in Alaska's NG LRS unit now (since summer of 2011). Once I recover from all my surgeries I'll try for a cop job. If all else fells, I'll see if I can get back into AD as an officer. I'm looking at starting the commissioning process for the NG their next class opening....

And lastly, thank you for disposing of the American flag correctly. Although, I'm going to look into what that other Guy said... I'd never done that before???

-James Dean
    Amen!
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Hey, let's have this conversation about 10-20 years.

Also, do you think that land in China will become more valuable than land in the U.S.?

PS: Do you have any idea how much China owes the U.S.? You just may be surprised.
    Nobody cares...........

Weird huh?
    you forgot Hussein.

OMG!!! That was you? I've got all your albums. Can I get an autograph? It's for my kid, not for me...really!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

~Disc~Golf~
    I wasn't going to respond to this 'attack', but replies to your (this) reply that have been responded to, as if I had said something blasphemous and you 'corrected' me', give me pause.

First of all, I think we could be the best country in the world. I know we can be better - as a whole ... a lot better..
    Does that mean that I would I want to live Antarctica? Well, I'm not a polar scientist, so, no. I like warm and sunny!
    Would I like to live in New Zealand? Sure... why not? They are not the worst place in the world to live - good mountains, nice beaches, hot women (the accent mostly for me ).
    Do I want to live there more than I want to live here in CA, USA? No - if I did, I'd already be there.

You make it seem as if I am unpatriotic.
    I feel I lucked out in the cosmic lottery. Given the chances of being born, and born in the USA, in CA, I'm pretty lucky. Odds are if you are born at all on Earth, you have a statistically steeper chance of being born in a shltty place.

I'm one of the most reasonably patriotic people you could meet. I'm a Constitutionalist for fukks sake. I should also remind you that I am also a Vet. (Desert Shield) who CHOSE to serve his Country.

And I thank you for your service countryman!

cmg
    Either way you look at it, Switzerland is the best place in the world , but when I lived in Australia it was the best place in the world

hot women (the accent mostly for me ).
    during your service, did you sustain a head injury per chance?
    (being an Australian, it's my duty to pay out on Kiwis)

~Disc~Golf~
    Either way you look at it, Switzerland is the best place in the world , but when I lived in Australia it was the best place in the world

during your service, did you sustain a head injury per chance?
    (being an Australian, it's my duty to pay out on Kiwis)
    Switzerland is home to some of the most evil people in the world IMO - start w/ Rothschilds and go from there.
    The regular people there are probably quite nice.

yeah, I had a head injury - shlt rolling downhill does that

local trails rider
    I just dont understand the American patriotism to the flag,
    I do (I think).

Where I live, the appreciation for the flag takes a different form, though. It is felt that displaying it all the time would make the flag too commonplace. So, it is usually raised for special occasions only. If you feel today is special, go ahead and raise the blue and white colors. Just take it down at the appropriate time too. There's only one day in a year when you can keep the flag up throughout the White Night. But that day you are supposed to raise it in the evening too.

I don't think USA is the best country in the world. That is just because it is not MY country.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

cmg
    who is better, who is not, who did this, who did that?

loosen up, its the streets..........

Youtube link: The Streets:Two Nations - YouTube

Im not English, but I know where he's coming from

just saying (as you guys say)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    This thread is making me dumber the more comments I read(and I'm pretty dumb to begin with).....MURIKA!!!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Switzerland is home to some of the most evil people in the world IMO - start w/ Rothschilds and go from there.
    The regular people there are probably quite nice.

yeah, I had a head injury - shlt rolling downhill does that
    Also home to the Nazi's favorite bankers too ... a little hard to forgive that one.

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Also home to the Nazi's favorite bankers too ... a little hard to forgive that one.
    "you guys all go to war and kill each other, we'll look after the money"

pretty smart move if you ask me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

They made sure to forget to give the money back to the Jews however ...

~Disc~Golf~

It's not a 'smart move' if want to rule the world - it's a 'dick move'

I wouldn't be make flippant remarks if you know the atrociousness of the people I and SS Hack are talking about

That is, if you give a shlt about regular people on this planet - if not, have at it I suppose

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    They made sure to forget to give the money back to the Jews however ...
    from Wiki:
    On November 22, 2000, Judge Edward R. Korman announced settlement of this case with his approval of a plan featuring the payment of $1.25 billion into funds controlled by the plaintiff organizations. He appointed Judah Gribetz Special Master to administer the plan, which is sometimes called the Gribetz Plan after its chief author.

By October 2009, some $490 million had been paid out to individual claimants, and acceptance of new claims had been discontinued for some time. This amount includes not only amounts deposited into Swiss banks by purported victims, but compensation for labor purportedly performed in displaced-persons camps, the value of purported looted assets, compensation for persons purported to have sought admission to Switzerland as refugees and to have been denied admission, both Jewish and non-Jewish, plus interest calculated on the claimed losses from the time of loss to the time of payment.

I wouldn't be make flippant remarks if you know the atrociousness of the people I and SS Hack are talking about

That is, if you give a shlt about regular people on this planet - if not, have at it I suppose
    It was war, attrocities occurred on both sides, and still do today, war on terror anybody?

~Disc~Golf~

It was war, attrocities occurred on both sides, and still do today, war on terror anybody?
    "A" war? e.g. singular? I agree this 'war on terrorism' is a farce.
    US,EU,NATO, UN and the ringleaders in SUI are the biggest...?
    ( I have trouble finding a word that accurately fits.)

banned
    Nov 2011
    I agree this 'war on terrorism' is a farce.
    Yeah, no kidding.

I can't believe people here still fall for the "war on terrorism" hype. No wonder the rest of the world stereotypes Americans as stupid people.

The real terrorists are the people at the top of the social pyramid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    from Wiki:
    On November 22, 2000, Judge Edward R. Korman announced settlement of this case with his approval of a plan featuring the payment of $1.25 billion into funds controlled by the plaintiff organizations. He appointed Judah Gribetz Special Master to administer the plan, which is sometimes called the Gribetz Plan after its chief author.

By October 2009, some $490 million had been paid out to individual claimants, and acceptance of new claims had been discontinued for some time. This amount includes not only amounts deposited into Swiss banks by purported victims, but compensation for labor purportedly performed in displaced-persons camps, the value of purported looted assets, compensation for persons purported to have sought admission to Switzerland as refugees and to have been denied admission, both Jewish and non-Jewish, plus interest calculated on the claimed losses from the time of loss to the time of payment.

You think the war the on terror is even close to what you "civilized" europeans did in WW2? So they give back some of the money after a court order - big deal. I'm surprised how many people still downplay what the Germans and their collaborators did to people during this war.

As the atrocities on both sides ... the worst atrocity America committed during the second was was not testing the first A Bomb on Germany instead of New Mexico.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    This WAS a flag thread dbags!!

War was atrocious thousands of years before the US existed. We just made it marketable by adding a crapload of rules, and kicking everyone elses ass.

Get over it and get back on topic.
    Last edited by curtboroff; 05-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    This WAS a flag thread dbags

War was atrocious thousands of years before the US existed. We just made it marketable by adding a crapload of rules, and kicking everyone elses ass.

Frack yeah! We ALWAYS kick everyones ass!
    RIP DINTERMAN
    RIP BERISFORD

-James Dean

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This WAS a flag thread dbags!!

Back to topic on your off topic thread!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This thread seems to represent the world pretty well. People arguing over stupid things.

On topic, I would have loved to be there to listen in on that conversation with your neighbours. It was probably pretty comical to see how angry they got over it

Damn that hurt
    It was fun while it lasted.

mtbr member
    I wasn't going to respond to this 'attack', but replies to your (this) reply that have been responded to, as if I had said something blasphemous and you 'corrected' me', give me pause.

First of all, I think we could be the best country in the world. I know we can be better - as a whole ... a lot better..
    Does that mean that I would I want to live Antarctica? Well, I'm not a polar scientist, so, no. I like warm and sunny!
    Would I like to live in New Zealand? Sure... why not? They are not the worst place in the world to live - good mountains, nice beaches, hot women (the accent mostly for me ).
    Do I want to live there more than I want to live here in CA, USA? No - if I did, I'd already be there.

You make it seem as if I am unpatriotic.
    I feel I lucked out in the cosmic lottery. Given the chances of being born, and born in the USA, in CA, I'm pretty lucky. Odds are if you are born at all on Earth, you have a statistically steeper chance of being born in a shltty place.

I'm one of the most reasonably patriotic people you could meet. I'm a Constitutionalist for fukks sake. I should also remind you that I am also a Vet. (Desert Shield) who CHOSE to serve his Country.

And I thank you for your service countryman!
    Thanks for this post. I read it and felt the need to back you up. I'm a vet. A former 11boo with multiple tours under my belt in Afghanistan and Iraq. I love my country. Having said that I would never tell any of my fellow citizens to love it or leave it. In my opinion that kind of "real murican" attitude goes directly against the oath I took when I joined.

Patriotism in this day and age has been reduced to bumper stickers and platitudes. Fact of the matter is there are many ways to show patriotism. Even people on the opposite end of the political spectrum ( I consider myself to be progressive) I would consider to be patriotic even if we disagree on what direction our country should take.

Saying we are the greatest country in the world IMOP is somewhat overstated. We as Americans tend to be forceful and arrogant about it. There are many great countries in the world. Patriotism isn't blind allegiance. Patriotism isnt Nationalism. Patriotism is loving ones country but also loving it enough to consider our failings as well. Patriotism is trying to figure out how we as a nation can fix our shortcomings as a nation and live up to the ideals this country is supposed to represent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Thanks for this post. I read it and felt the need to back you up. I'm a vet. A former 11boo with multiple tours under my belt in Afghanistan and Iraq. I love my country. Having said that I would never tell any of my fellow citizens to love it or leave it. In my opinion that kind of "real murican" attitude goes directly against the oath I took when I joined.

Patriotism in this day and age has been reduced to bumper stickers and platitudes. Fact of the matter is there are many ways to show patriotism. Even people on the opposite end of the political spectrum ( I consider myself to be progressive) I would consider to be patriotic even if we disagree on what direction our country should take.

Saying we are the greatest country in the world IMOP is somewhat overstated. We as Americans tend to be forceful and arrogant about it. There are many great countries in the world. Patriotism isn't blind allegiance. Patriotism isnt Nationalism. Patriotism is loving ones country but also loving it enough to consider our failings as well. Patriotism is trying to figure out how we as a nation can fix our shortcomings as a nation and live up to the ideals this country is supposed to represent.
    1. I'm going to stand by what I said. If someone doesn't think we're the best country in the world- THEN LEAVE! I emplore that person to try and find a better country to live.... there's a REASON people flood to live in America from all over the world. Show me what other country has a higher amount of immigrants than the USA.

2. Please elaborate on how ^^^^ "goes against your oath." I've said the same oaths you have and I'm at a lost to how you could possibly try and use that correctly in this argument.

3. Patriotism hasn't been "reduced" to bumper stickers. In America people have the complete freedom to express themselves and the love they have for their country. Does it mean the person with the yellow ribbon magnet on the back of their car is more patriotic than the person without one? The answer is "No, not necessarily." But the magnet (in this case) is an outward expression of an inward emotion.

4. Rebutting to your "... patriotic even if we disagree on what direction our country should take"- nobody is questioning your personal patriotism. And it is BECAUSE WE LIVE IN THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that you are free to express your differing opinions about our country.

Lastly, I just want to say something once more about the "if you don't like it then leave" comment I've made. First, I've never said our country is without faults. 2. I don't want people to be unhappy. So, if a person is living somewhere that they feel is not the best place then they should move from there. On the small scale, we see this with people living in the ghetto. They don't have to live in the ghetto. They are free to move out and go to the suburbs, right? So, on a larger scale- if someone doesn't think USA is the best country, then get out and find a better one.

Happy Memorial Day.

-James Dean

local trails rider
    Show me what other country has a higher amount of immigrants than the USA.
    """
    Countries with a high percentage of migrants include Qatar (87 per cent), United Arab Emirates (70 per cent), Jordan (46 per cent), Singapore (41 per cent), and Saudi Arabia (28 per cent).
    """

Source: International Organization for Migration
    IOM - Facts & Figures

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

cmg
    so anyway..........

didn't realise the correct way to dispose of the American Flag was to ceremonially burn it......
    wonder if it is the same for Aussies & Swiss?

local trails rider
    didn't realise the correct way to dispose of the American Flag was to ceremonially burn it......
    wonder if it is the same for Aussies & Swiss?
    For the Finnish flag, burning is the traditional way. You don't have to make a big ceremony out of it. The other way is to cut it up so small that it cannot be recognized and dispose the pieces the same as other "waste".

If you need to wash a flag, you are not supposed to dry it outdoors on a clothesline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    """
    Countries with a high percentage of migrants include Qatar (87 per cent), United Arab Emirates (70 per cent), Jordan (46 per cent), Singapore (41 per cent), and Saudi Arabia (28 per cent).
    """

IOM - Facts & Figures
    Nice try... here's from that same site-

..."The United States is by far the largest, with USD 48.3 billion in recorded outward flows in 2009. Saudi Arabia ranks as the second largest, followed by Switzerland and Russia."

AND HERE TOO-

..."United States (42.8 million)
    Canada (7.2 million)
    Argentina (1.4 million)
    The United States is the top migrant destination country in the world, hosting 20 per cent of the world's migrants."

I repeat, "THE UNITED STATES IS THE TOP MIGRANT DESTINATION COUNTRY IN THE WORLD..."
    Thanks for giving me the link to find that information

-James Dean

local trails rider
    Nice try... here's from that same site-
    Just goes to prove what I've known all along: you can make statistics say whatever you want them to say.

Hang on a moment, I'll go and find some angle that proves you wrong again

DIY all the way
    This thread sure gives some insight, as to why some of the immigrants here, thinks burning a Danish flag is a major disrespect to us Danes, as they have learned that the Americans considers such action being blasphemy.

Truth be told, I doubt any Danes cares for the usual flag burning immigrant.

Personally I usually think to myself, that they should burn some more, as the local shops selling flags, will see some more business that way

Magura

cmg
    several sites produced this:

DISPOSING OF THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL FLAG

When a flag becomes dilapidated and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way. In the past this was generally by burning, but today, with many flags made from polyester, burning can produce toxic fumes. It is considered acceptable to cut the flag into small pieces until it is unrecognizable.

mtbr member
    with many flags made from polyester, burning can produce toxic fumes.
    I find this line interesting.
    Can anybody give me an example of burning (anything) that does not give off toxic fumes?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

local trails rider
    I repeat, "THE UNITED STATES IS THE TOP MIGRANT DESTINATION COUNTRY IN THE WORLD..."
    Just goes to prove what I've known all along: you can make statistics say whatever you want them to say.
    OK, as you wont accept percentages of residents for comparison, but want to talk about the money they send home or total numbers ... lets talk total numbers. To talk about total numbers, it is only fair to compare entities that are of roughly the same size. Let's say USA and EU. I know EU isn't really a country but it is an entity.

In 2009, just over 40 million US residents were foreign born
    In 2010, 47.3 million people living in the EU had been born outside their resident country

OK, that's not fair: that includes people moving between EU countries.

In 2010, 31.4 million EU residents had been born outside the EU

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
    Anyway, I'm not moving to USA, whatever you say about it being the best ... thing since they invented sliced bread.

local trails rider
    I find this line interesting.
    Can anybody give me an example of burning (anything) that does not give off toxic fumes?
    Shut up, I'm about to get the barbeque going...

cmg
    water......?

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Yup!
    76.525% of all statistics are made up.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    1. I'm going to stand by what I said. If someone doesn't think we're the best country in the world- THEN LEAVE! I emplore that person to try and find a better country to live.... there's a REASON people flood to live in America from all over the world. Show me what other country has a higher amount of immigrants than the USA.

Again, I would never say that to anyone. Why? Because it isn't my place to. What it implies is that one must love this country as I do. In the same manner. I'm sorry but I find that to be quite arrogant. You mention Immigrants. Immigrants come here for many reasons. And with them comes their culture and their way of doing things. Would you tell them that they should leave because they don't show their patriotism in the same way you do?

2. Please elaborate on how ^^^^ "goes against your oath." I've said the same oaths you have and I'm at a lost to how you could possibly try and use that correctly in this argument.

Because I didn't enlist to defend only a certain segment of our population.

3. Patriotism hasn't been "reduced" to bumper stickers. In America people have the complete freedom to express themselves and the love they have for their country. Does it mean the person with the yellow ribbon magnet on the back of their car is more patriotic than the person without one? The answer is "No, not necessarily." But the magnet (in this case) is an outward expression of an inward emotion.

I never said people shouldn't be able to outwardly express their love of country. I just think that it has been cheapened a bit. When the extent of a persons support of our troops is limited to a 5 dollar magnet placed on the back of a truck I find that to be a little sad. I would refer to you how this country banded together during WW2 and how the whole country made sacrifices, not just the Joes in the field. After 9/11 we as a country were told to keep on shopping.

The majority of people go on about their lives with out any thoughts of our brothers and sisters and the sacrifices they are making. Look at Memorial Day for instance. It has turned into an excuse to sell Washing Machines and to get out of town for vacation. How many people actually know what Memorial day is about?

4. Rebutting to your "... patriotic even if we disagree on what direction our country should take"- nobody is questioning your personal patriotism. And it is BECAUSE WE LIVE IN THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that you are free to express your differing opinions about our country.

But yet you tell people to love it or leave it. Think about that for a minute.

Lastly, I just want to say something once more about the "if you don't like it then leave" comment I've made. First, I've never said our country is without faults. 2. I don't want people to be unhappy. So, if a person is living somewhere that they feel is not the best place then they should move from there. On the small scale, we see this with people living in the ghetto. They don't have to live in the ghetto. They are free to move out and go to the suburbs, right? So, on a larger scale- if someone doesn't think USA is the best country, then get out and find a better one.

Funny, if someone is unhappy with the present state of our country I wouldn't encourage them to leave. I would encourage them to get involved. Get involved with causes they find important. And as far as people just being able to leave? Well, it isn't quite that simple. Do you think it is just that simple for a poor family in the ghetto to just pick up everything and move to the burbs? Life isn't that simple. Heck, even moving to another country is not that simple. Not just the administrative aspects but also the fact that one will be leaving behind everything that they know. That isn't an easy decision.

Happy Memorial Day.

-James Dean
    Seriously, I'm not trying come down on you. I just think this country would be a lot better if all of us were more willing to adjust fire and put ourselves in others shoes so one may at least try to understand where others may be coming from instead of telling people to love it or leave it. If people were more willing to agree to disagree and try to find common ground instead of insisting it is their way or the highway I think the results would end up being a country not so divided.

Happy Memorial Day and thank you for your service Brother. I hope you are able to get unbroken and continue on with your career

local trails rider
    Yup!
    76.525% of all statistics are made up.
    I didn't say that.

You just take perfectly accurate numbers and go find a way to interpret them in a way that favors your preferred outcome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I didn't say that.

You just take perfectly accurate numbers and go find a way to interpret them in a way that favors your preferred outcome.
    I may be mistaken but I think that was meant in a purely sarcastic way, and a comical way (i hope)

local trails rider
    It is about time!!!

I got my first ever negative reputation on MTBR.

And I got it for ... quoting IOM statistics saying that many countries have higher percentages of immigrants among their residents than USA.

Here's a rerun of my offending post:

"""
    """

IOM - Facts & Figures
    The message in the neg rep just says "Bigot".

I'll get myself a beer to celebrate, later today.

cmg
    cheers mate

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It is about time!!!

I got my first ever negative reputation on MTBR.

And I got it for ... quoting IOM statistics saying that many countries have higher percentages of immigrants among their residents than USA.

Here's a rerun of my offending post:

The message in the neg rep just says "Bigot".

Never quote facts as it just mucks up people's beliefs.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I got a negative too.

Will the cockless coward who left it please stand up?

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by teamhaymaker View Post
    I may be mistaken but I think that was meant in a purely sarcastic way, and a comical way (i hope)
    Correct sir!

Not sure who the rep turd is either. But I deserve it sometimes, so I don't care.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've been staying out of this thread for this same reason. I can't afford anymore NEG Rep for expressing my thoughts LOL

-James Dean

Members who have read this thread: 0