Deskersize- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deskersize

mtbr member

Deskersize

Does anyone have or have tried a HOVR or something similar? I have a job that has me sitting 9-12 hours per day, corporate IT slave for an aerospace company. That much sitting is not good for you to say the least. For the past decade I have been so sore and stiff when I get up from my desk. With my knee, hip, and back injuries I would limp for the first couple hundred feet walked until I loosened up. A side effect of this is I gave up, stopped exercising and ballooned to 305 pounds. At 5'5" this weight created all sorts of issues.

In October of 2016 I decided there had to be a better way. I found this thing called HOVR that you mount under your desk. Now I move my legs through a series of recommended movements all day while I sit. I no longer limp when I get up and the increased mobility, change of diet, and pedaling I have dropped to 255 lbs and on my way to more pedaled away!

I do not work for HOVR, or have any incentive other than sharing my story, but this little device has greatly changed my life. For people that sit for hours on end I highly recommend looking into this, or making something similar if you have the skills and tools to do so.

My HOVR:

Meatbomb
    Try a stand up work station too ..

Cycologist
    Hmm, interesting. Looks like something I could make with a handlebar I have laying around.

I'm not supposed to sit for more than two hours due to a history of blood clots. I'm pretty good at getting up and moving but later in the day, I get really focused on my work (when most everyone else has left) and I'll be bad about not getting up. And my legs will hurt.

Or maybe I'll take a spare crankset and a busted frame and make an under desk exercise bike.

Good luck with the weight loss and get on your bike and ride!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Try a stand up work station too ..
    Due to my knee and hip injuries extended standing is out of the question for me. It's why I'm in IT now and not a chef as was my life plan in my youth. Even before I got heavy I could not stand for long periods after being hit by a car that was doing 60 mph. On the plus side I still have my culinary skills and my family eats well!

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Looks like something I could make with a handlebar I have laying around.

I'm not supposed to sit for more than two hours due to a history of blood clots. I'm pretty good at getting up and moving but later in the day, I get really focused on my work (when most everyone else has left) and I'll be bad about not getting up. And my legs will hurt.

Or maybe I'll take a spare crankset and a busted frame and make an under desk exercise bike.

Good luck with the weight loss and get on your bike and ride!
    Thanks! A handle bar is a great idea, the foot pads on my HOVR are on ball joints with about 15* lean in any direction. I put my legs straight and do ankle rotations as well as full leg elliptical movements which is possible due to the pad ball joints on the pads. There is probably a way to add that feature to a bar. Have a welder?

I'm riding 5-6 miles a day currently, in October that was up and down the street before I was gassed. Progress is being made!

Members who have read this thread: 0