Thread: demo day

Suckin wind like a boss

demo day

k im posting this here because i know this forum is where the peeps who commented will all see it, without polluting the passion thread, and the rest of you can get in on the fun too.

today the lbs at my fave local trail had the scott bikes rep there with a van full of spark 29 elites. i have been wishing i had gotten a full squish bike since about a day after i got my hardtail, so when i heard the demo bus was coming a few weeks ago, i was stoked to go out and get to check one out on the trail. most of the lbs around here have nowhere to really try out a bike besides the parking lot so this was a sweet opportunity.

nate, the rep, got me all squared away and sent me on my way. very cool dude, much respect for scott to have a guy like him representing (not at all like the cannondale dudes that started the whole poser deal a couple weeks back.) i went and hit the same trail i usually do, but i rode WAY better on that fs 29er than i ever have on my hardtail. i was stoked and having a blast...

down the back stretch of the trail, a long sidehill, off-camber downhill section, you can really bust out some speed. i know this section to be my nemesis, as i have crashed on it several times before. because of this, i kept it pretty mellow, and didnt hammer the sh|t out of it like i wanted to, because i was on a pace to knock several minutes off of my best times on this loop but i fear what that back stretch is capable of.

and the b|tch got me, again. i clipped a tree with the bars this time. actually it was the 3rd time i clipped a tree on the trail today (3rd times a charm right?) because the bars on the scott are a good inch and a half to two inches wider than on my HT. I was paying attention all through the ride because there are some narrow, between-the-trees passes, and even skipped a couple.

This one, i didnt miss. it twisted the bars right out of my hand, turned the wheel 90 degrees, and my momentum carried me right through it and over the bars... but the wheel stayed put, hence the nice taco. i probably flew a good 15 feet through the air before i bounced off my shoulder and cartwheeled another 10 or so...and the bike came after me, bounced off my back and kept going another 10 or 15 feet past me and down the hill. as i rolled over i felt and heard a nice POP with the accompanying lightning bolt of pain through my entire right side- and i laid there for a few just to make sure nothing was seriously effed up. so i got up and when i started moving i knew something was funky, but no idea how bad because i could move my arm and rotate my shoulder, despite how much it was hurtin.

so for those that havent seen it, heres the taco-

i dragged the bike 30 feet or so before i got smart and took the wheel off to carry them out. put the bike on my left shoulder and carried the wheel in my right hand about 1/4 mile or so? back to the demo van. was a little sore, but not too bad, which is why i actually contemplated taking my hardtail off the rack and going back out and riding, after i returned the demo bike and apologizing profusely- which nate (the scott rep) steadfastly refused and just wanted to be sure that I was okay. i had a couple of friends there, one of whom just bought a new specialized 29er, and the other a kid I work with who is in the market for a new bike, and i didnt want to leave them hanging...lol i am glad i chose not to go out again, because after i sent them back out on the trail to ride instead of waitin on me, i got it in my head that maybe, just maybe, this could be worse than it was feeling at the moment. id say it ultimately was.

im pretty goddamned sore right now, and not looking forward to sleep tonight. by the time i got out of the ER it was too late to get a prescription filled so im gonna have to rely on advil to get me through the night.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    So, did you decide on buying a Scott?

Wow dude, sounds like hard spill. Is something separated?

Is not amused
    Terry, sorry to hear about the outcome of this. I'm guessing a separated collar bone? Hope your week goes better. Heal up soon.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Suckin wind like a boss
    yeah hutch, 3rd degree separation. hurtin like a mofo now. thanks man, hopin i can be back up and riding in a couple/few weeks at worst, such nice weather and i gotta sit out. followup with the ortho soon, calling tomorrow to set up an appointment. not sure, really, what he'll be able to do, but gonna go anyhow and see what the recovery time prognosis is going to be.

jon- hell yeah! good god man, that bike is badass! the rep told me that at the end of the season, he has a hundred emails from shops that want a piece of the demo bikes...dunno how serious he was but he said that the XL i was riding had my name on it at the end of the season. if it makes it to the shop it is mine- but if it doesnt, they have an XL at the shop that is gonna be mine. i REALLY like that bike a lot.

Is not amused
    I was going to refer you to the ac-separation-shoulder-separation thread but I see you have all ready joined the crowd over there. Again, hopefully you will be back on your bike soon and take it easy when you do.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Suckin wind like a boss
    yeah i found the pointy shoulder club thread lol... but i dont know any of the names over there. i wanted to share the full story with you guys.

i need to learn to temper my confidence. i wont say that over-confidence is what made me crash today- if anything, that stretch of trail has me overly alert to every last root and bump because those are what gets me on that section of trail. however, when i start getting comfortable, i get overconfident to the point of attacking it arrogantly, and the majority of the trail today i tore through savagely. i mean, i had NO issues at all, anywhere, with things that usually give me no end of grief. i felt GOOD, man, really good. i had a couple of sketchy spots, but those i chalked up to the rocket rons and how they handled the slick dirt- i didnt care for the way they handled it, kinda washing out in the turns. but there are some rooty sections that usually slow me down pretty good on my hardtail that i just tore through on the scott, and every time i burned through one of those sections, it just pumped me up when i came to the next one- and just tore through those too.

i really dont know how i let that tree clip the bars. i was watching for that through the whole ride and i am leery of everything on that back stretch. i was about 100 yards or so from the end of the trail loop and i know that last section, as fast and flowy as it is, is one that requires a good deal of attention if you want to make it through unscathed.

i dunno if its the best part of the whole incident, or the worst- but i am not put off by this at all. i look forward to getting back out there and clearing that section like i have many times before.

Members who have read this thread: 0