Data Recovery.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Data Recovery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Data Recovery.

I have a situation with 2x external H/D that has suddenly gone down on me. Both were used for different types of backup, mainly images.. One is a 1Tb drive the other is a 128Gb drive (which I am less worried about).

On the 1Tb drive, when plugged in, the blue light comes on and you can hear the PC beep on connection but it does not show up in the file directory as before.. when I listen to the unit I can hear a constant clicking noise like it is trying to engage but is going nowhere.

Any suggestions.. my previous exposure to Data Recovery Companies has been very, very negative whereby I lost a lot of money and got less than zero back in return despite them analysing the drive and telling me they could recover from it.

Any feedback appreciated.

High Desert MTBer
    Clicking noise is worrying, since a mechanical issue is much more likely to have to involve at least someone who can investigate that which could be quite invasive to be safe. I wish I could offer better advice. I had this happen to my main and backup drives when I was in Mongolia where I found out later has a big issue with wind blown very fine sand that tends to have this effect unless you are super careful. I lost all my pictures from tours and bike trips. Lots of stuff... Now I keep my usual backup stuff plus I run everything to a large 2 x backup NAS at home to make sure.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I just had our external hard drive start doing the same thing. bought a 5T seagate hard drive and backed up everything.

My mom has tried many times to retrieve info off hard drives that are toast with not much success unfortunately. She had one that the customer spent over $2k to recover and got nothing.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Clicking usually means its gone unless you are the NSA.

But for the future, always make duplicates/triplicates of your important files

Rabid Lana Fan
    This may sound stupid, but try dropping the drive from about 12 inches up onto a carpeted floor. I've never actually seen it in person, but have read on many occasions how this got a "clicking" hard drive to start working again, at least long enough to recover data from it.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Odd that both went Tango Uniform at rhe same time unless your USB hub smoked them. Have you tried another PC? I've had drives stop working on one PC, but inexplicable work fine on a different one.

If they are truly toast, the data may still be recoverable. You'll need to buy two identical working donor drives and switch the platters out. Delicate work and you need good tools, but it can be done.
    Whether it is worth the effort to you...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EFMax View Post
    I have a situation with 2x external H/D that has suddenly gone down on me. Both were used for different types of backup, mainly images.. One is a 1Tb drive the other is a 128Gb drive (which I am less worried about).

On the 1Tb drive, when plugged in, the blue light comes on and you can hear the PC beep on connection but it does not show up in the file directory as before.. when I listen to the unit I can hear a constant clicking noise like it is trying to engage but is going nowhere.

Any suggestions.. my previous exposure to Data Recovery Companies has been very, very negative whereby I lost a lot of money and got less than zero back in return despite them analysing the drive and telling me they could recover from it.

Any feedback appreciated.
    I had something similar happen with several drives. This worked for me:
    Remove the drive from the enclosure, place in a Ziploc bag, and place it in your freezer. Leave it there for about half a day. Remove from the freezer and reinstall in the external drive enclosure and connect to your PC. It will hopefully spin up and work long enough to copy your data to a new drive.
    Like I mentioned, this worked for me several times with several drives that suddenly quit working and would click repeatedly when trying to be accessed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Here’s a procedure that helped me twice in the past: find a used or new old stock version of the same HD (online is best option, assuming it’s an older drive), and carefully swap the electronics portion of the hard drive onto the older hard drive. Alternatively—and WAY more involved and prone to dust entering the unit—you can completely disassemble the platters and reassemble into the new HD. And then, when you’re all done and are able to access your data, make a backup of your backup using new HDs (I presently have twin identical 4TB drives which I make a bootable backup of my backup with). Always good to have a backup plan… for your backup plan.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

poser Administrator
    No advice from the recovery but how many of you backup to the cloud? I have a 1T on dropbox and use a syncing program to back up my important files to the cloud as well as a backup drive. I write to the drive then sync to the cloud. The sync program changes the cloud file including deleting deleted files so the cloud matches the workflow drive. That way if it dies I can just download, obviously have to download for a considerable amount of time to backup, but it seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    No advice from the recovery but how many of you backup to the cloud? I have a 1T on dropbox and use a syncing program to back up my important files to the cloud as well as a backup drive. I write to the drive then sync to the cloud. The sync program changes the cloud file including deleting deleted files so the cloud matches the workflow drive. That way if it dies I can just download, obviously have to download for a considerable amount of time to backup, but it seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?
    I don’t think I have any data that I am aware of.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Pipe Dreamer
    My head's already in the cloud.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I don’t think I have any data that I am aware of.
    I actually hate using Dropbox, and the sync function on my computer. If I am working with groups of people and we are using the share functions to be able to access each others files, and if I am not careful about what I am syncing on my computer drive, it can get ugly. Suddenly my onboard drive is full of stuff I do not need on there!

I subscribe to a 2TB icloud store and sync all the files I know I need to be able to access anywhere quickly on that. Stuff I am working on constantly, I keep in Desktop folders that auto sync to the cloud. My desktop, my laptop, phone and Ipad can all then get access to the cloud for stuff when I need it. That is the mac way, and works great if you stay on top of things!

I then back it ALL up to my home NAS station which has 2 synced 8 TB drives which can also be accessed remotely if I need something in an emergency when away from home, or if I have meltdown out there...

Sounds complex, but works pretty well if you stay on top.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybrick View Post
    I had something similar happen with several drives. This worked for me:
    Remove the drive from the enclosure, place in a Ziploc bag, and place it in your freezer. Leave it there for about half a day. Remove from the freezer and reinstall in the external drive enclosure and connect to your PC. It will hopefully spin up and work long enough to copy your data to a new drive.
    Like I mentioned, this worked for me several times with several drives that suddenly quit working and would click repeatedly when trying to be accessed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Make sure the room is EXTREMELY dry. The condensation that will form on the drives may GUARANTEE they never work again...

Fart smeller
    Hard drives are so cheap, I just buy a big one, put the entire contents of the old HD on it, then fill it up. Repeat when necessary. Then I give the old HDs to a friend who has a more secure house than I do.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I actually hate using Dropbox, and the sync function on my computer. If I am working with groups of people and we are using the share functions to be able to access each others files, and if I am not careful about what I am syncing on my computer drive, it can get ugly. Suddenly my onboard drive is full of stuff I do not need on there!

I subscribe to a 2TB icloud store and sync all the files I know I need to be able to access anywhere quickly on that. Stuff I am working on constantly, I keep in Desktop folders that auto sync to the cloud. My desktop, my laptop, phone and Ipad can all then get access to the cloud for stuff when I need it. That is the mac way, and works great if you stay on top of things!

I then back it ALL up to my home NAS station which has 2 synced 8 TB drives which can also be accessed remotely if I need something in an emergency when away from home, or if I have meltdown out there...

Sounds complex, but works pretty well if you stay on top.
    I mostly go out and play.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I mostly go out and play.
    Yeah, I'd prefer that, but this is all tied in with my work which is graphics heavy! Needs lots of storage. When I play, I know all that shit is safe
    It's all Here. Now.