Crows & Squirrels Are In Cahoots To Kill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Crows & Squirrels Are In Cahoots To Kill

So last night we are eating dinner (mmm....steaks on the grill) looking out the patio door, when my wife yells "Look at that bunny jumping up and chasing that Crow"! I look to over and see that the crow is flying with something in is talons, it was a baby bunny. I see the mama bunny jumping up and attacking the Crow, as it was attempting to fly away with the baby. The mama bunnys' efforts were rewarded when the crow dropped the baby bunny, and flew up into the branch of a nearby tree.

Mama bunny quickly attended to her little one, and did her best to get it hopping to off to a safe location. Meanwhile, the crow is perched 7-8' up in the nearby tree watching....waiting for the right opportunity to reclaim its' prey. I don't think mama bunny realized that the crow was in the tree, as she was leaving what I felt was too much distance between herself and her baby.

Out of nowhere this little a-hole squirrel climbs a few feet up the base of the same tree the crow is perched in. At that moment I thought the squirrel was going to be the Knight In Shining Armor for the baby bunny. I even said to my wife, "Look, I think that squirrel is coming over to get rid of that stupid Crow". It was obvious the a-hole squirrel knew the Crow was there, as his body was pointing up towards the branch where the Crow was perched, and the Squirrel was making audible and visual signs, as if he was communicating with the Crow.

After a few churps and flicks of the tail, the squirrel then turned its' attention to the mama bunny, who was maybe 15' away from the tree in the middle of the neighbors unprotected yard. It was at that time I realized that the squirrel was in fact there not to help the bunny, but was in fact trying to draw the attention of the bunny away from her baby. The squirrel was churping and flicking its' tail at the bunny, in a effort to irritate the already aggravated mother. At that moment I told my wife that I now thought the squirrel was in fact in cahoots with the Crow!

After a few seconds of this nonsense, the mama bunny was fed up. She turned her attention to the squirrel, and charged towards it in an effort to protect her baby. I yelled "NO, DON'T DO IT...IT'S A TRAP"!! Just as soon as the mama bunny ended her charge at the nut sucking squirrel, the Crow swooped down to reclaim its' dinner. At that point the mama was too far away to defend her baby, and after a few flaps of the Crows wings, the baby was gone.

I was not aware that Crows were predatory animals, and was always under the belief that they were scavangers.

I was also not aware that squirrels hated bunnys to the point of plotting to have them killed.

I learned two things that day, and now solidify my hatred for those bastard tree rats.

mtbr member
    it's a jungle out there.

mtbr member
    No video !?!?...
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    You should have stepped in and helped the rabbits out.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    You should have stepped in and helped the rabbits out.
    Hmmm, Death Match: Humans + Bunnies VS. Squirrels + Crows...

My money's on the bears...
    It's all Here. Now.

****** to the dirt
    How could you just sit there and watch this all unfold? Get up and defend the rabbits next time.

Oh wait it is a rabbit it was just breed just like rabbits
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

banned

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Wow, great story. I keep telling my cat to bring me a tree rat, so far only birds and bats.

banned
    Sep 2010
    You need a good quality hunting air rifle. Accurate, silent, and perfect for squirrels and crows. Of course, you need a hunting licenses, even for vermin, and believe it or not, crows are actually categorized as a "migratory upland GAME bird"! They have a SEASON, and a prescribed "method of take". This is absurd, as urban and suburban crows are radically altering the environment.

Whoever heard of hunting crows for sport! they're vermin, all they do is prey on other birds' babies and as you saw, baby bunnies, too. In some SoCal neighborhoods, there are no songbirds left at all....the crows have killed all the babies and the eggs as well, and the parent birds abandon the nest and the entire area.

As to ground squirrels, we all know they carry bubonic plague at times, but most of us don't know that when we clip that little squirrel on the trail, and see it limp down the burrow hole to the safety of its' mates, that they turn on the wounded fellow down there and cannibalize him! Repulsive little varmints. I came upon a ground squirrel once next to a small dead rabbit on the trail...he wasn't giving him First Aid, he was eating the dead bunny.

For crows and squirrels, I say, "Kill them all: the Lord shall Know His own". And do Mother Nature a favor too, while your'e at it!

banned
    My wife was watching 3 or 4 crows trying to get an alligator lizard in our cul de sac. The lizard would have none of that and would go after whatever crow was the closest. My wife went out and chased the crows off and the lizard went after her!

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    My wife went out and chased the crows off and the lizard went after her!
    Hawg would have been able to charm the pants right off of that lizard.