since 4/10/2009

crap...vehicle troubles

I got a phone call from my wife early this AM rather unexpectedly.

we are currently separated while I finish my degree because she found a job that needed someone sooner than I was able to leave. fair enough, since we still have a house to sell.

At any rate, she described that rather suddenly on the road, her Jeep made a loud bang, she felt the handling get weird, and a loud metallic grinding noise. she called for roadside assistance, and then called work to let them know she'd be late before calling me, thankfully. it sounded like a catastrophic blowout to me, but I've never had one (only witnessed them happening in front of me on the freeway and then having to dodge flying hunks of rubber at 70mph).

she was on a very busy part of the freeway when this happened and so she just stayed in the vehicle until roadside assistance showed up. she called me a bit later, and said that the tire was fine...the problem was that the whole WHEEL became detached, smashed up the wheel well, and was sitting on the road behind her. she was told that 5 of the 6 lugnuts for that wheel were missing. where they went is anyone's guess.

unfortunately, my wife is exceptionally unobservant about a lot of things. cars being one of them. so it's impossible to know for sure if the lugnuts were going missing one at a time, or whether they all went missing at once. she even inflated her tires yesterday after work (which she has actually never done herself before, no matter how much hell I gave her for it). she did notice a noise, she described as a knock, yesterday evening. she had a flat tire repaired (different than the one that came off) and was going to talk to the tire guy today, probably at lunch, to get him to check that he didn't miss something. AFAIK, he did not mess with the front tire, so I would assume he might have caught the missing lugnuts, but the timing of these two things is most certainly suspicious.

I told her to check the parking lot where she works (there is a tire shop next door to her office, and he walked next door to remove her wheel in the parking lot) to see if her missing lugnuts are there. I will also have her look near where she parks at my folks' place. I am thinking someone intentionally removed these lugnuts at some point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry to hear about the troubles, hope it gets sorted out!

I had a similar story after my car sat at a shop for over a month and when I get it it back it has a noticeable vibrations in the steering wheel. I thought it was the drive shaft or something, luckily I just thought to check the lugs and sure enough, one was missing and the other 4 were pretty loose.

Of course the shop wasn't to blame, saying they never took the wheel off. Which I found hard to believe since it was there to have the fender liner and a sensor in the fender liner replaced. Needless to say I haven't been back.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ender. View Post
    Sorry to hear about the troubles, hope it gets sorted out!

I had a similar story after my car sat at a shop for over a month and when I get it it back it has a noticeable vibrations in the steering wheel. I thought it was the drive shaft or something, luckily I just thought to check the lugs and sure enough, one was missing and the other 4 were pretty loose.

Of course the shop wasn't to blame, saying they never took the wheel off. Which I found hard to believe since it was there to have the fender liner and a sensor in the fender liner replaced. Needless to say I haven't been back.
    no stray lugnuts found in the parking lot at work. they're going to check their security cam footage just in case. I'm thinking it's more likely if someone removed lugnuts that it happened in front of my parents' house. their neighborhood has gone seriously downhill in recent years. I think I posted a couple months ago about how they found a .22 bullet in their bedroom that had been shot from the front of the house.

I told my wife, and apparently so did her father, to have the shop fixing her jeep install some locking lugnuts. I know they're defeatable, but it's a layer of security that can be added easily enough.

mtbr member
    Sorry for your trouble s Nate but IDK. I'd suspect whoever put that wheel back on forgot to snug 'em up. Happened to me once, about 2-3weeks after I had the brakes done, and of coarse I was also on a busy highway when it happened.
    It's one thing for people to play a prank on someone, but that's down right cruel. The keyed lug nuts can help but then they, if there's someone at all, can just do something else so?
    Round and round we go

Titanium junkie
    Just my thoughts, if they loosened up over time, she would have noticed
    problems from the front end. Lug nuts don't generally loosen on their own.
    I'm more inclined to think this was deliberate. On my work van, 1985 Mini Ramvan, I am
    missing 2 studs, I know, gotta replace those, anyway I have never had them become loose
    even with those 2 studs gone and only having 3 nuts holding the wheel on.
    Sounds fishy my man, sounds fishy.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

since 4/10/2009
    I agree. Security cams at work do not show anything amiss that day. Guy who fixed other tire did not mess with the one that came off. Was not him. Though I wonder if my wife had taken it to the tire shop and they had put it on a lift they might have noticed something. The tire guy just jacked it up and fixed the flat in the parking lot, didn't even ask for any money.

The last time that tire was messed with was a tire rotation done a couple months and more than 1000 mi ago in TX. Highly unlikely that was faulty work.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    It's clearly suspicious activity. Might someone be P/O'ed at your wife? Are the lug nuts worth stealing? Are the wheels worth stealing? How about the tires, worth stealing?

Any auto repair shop would have noticed some missing lug nuts.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    It's clearly suspicious activity. Might someone be P/O'ed at your wife? Are the lug nuts worth stealing? Are the wheels worth stealing? How about the tires, worth stealing?

Any auto repair shop would have noticed some missing lug nuts.
    the wheels are the typical alloy wheels found on 02 Liberty Limiteds. not exceptionally special, but not cheapie steel rims, either.

my wife only has lived there for a shade over a month (6 or 7 weeks, maybe). hardly long enough to piss anyone off. my parents, however, have lived in that house for better than 20yrs. and they have taken the brunt of some criminal activity. the .22 in the bedroom is one. my mother's Trailblazer was stolen from the driveway over the winter. their house has been robbed a couple of times.

there were arrests made upon recovery of my mom's SUV, and they prompted my parents to get the locks changed on their house. I am leery that my wife was a victim of retaliation directed at my parents.

I will be researching the cost of proximity alarms.

mtbr member
    All the tire shops here require that when they take wheels off/put back on, the wheels must be re-torqued after 300 miles. This is a relatively new rule, maybe wheels falling off happens more often than one would think.

since 4/10/2009
    the wife went to the shop today after work and talked to their mechanic there. he believes it is entirely possible that this could still be due to the wheel not being adequately fastened at the last service. there were actually 2 lugs remaining. apparently, there was some statement regarding 500mi per lug nut. the mechanic also said that there were entire POSTS missing. whether that happened when the wheel came off or not, I dunno.

at any rate, when my wife called the insurance company, they kinda pressured her into declaring it a collision. on talking to her this evening about the details and our specific auto insurance plan where we carry $0 comprehensive deductible, I am thinking the insurance co representative didn't want to pay the whole thing. my wife has a number from the police officer who came to the scene and said no report needed filing because there was no collision, so if the insurance co has a problem with my wife correcting things tomorrow, they can talk to the officer who came to the scene. additionally, they can talk to the mechanic at the shop THEY recommended regarding the situation.

she also mentioned to me that when the tow truck showed up, the driver thought for sure it was going to be a busted ball joint on the jeep. apparently, there was a recall for jeep liberties for faulty lower ball joints a number of years ago (after we bought it), and we never got that notice. so, my wife will be having that dealt with ASAP. it does not appear at this point to be related to this problem. however we'll find out more tomorrow when the mechanic gets it up on the lift.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    the wife went to the shop today after work and talked to their mechanic there. he believes it is entirely possible that this could still be due to the wheel not being adequately fastened at the last service. there were actually 2 lugs remaining. apparently, there was some statement regarding 500mi per lug nut. the mechanic also said that there were entire POSTS missing. whether that happened when the wheel came off or not, I dunno.

at any rate, when my wife called the insurance company, they kinda pressured her into declaring it a collision. on talking to her this evening about the details and our specific auto insurance plan where we carry $0 comprehensive deductible, I am thinking the insurance co representative didn't want to pay the whole thing. my wife has a number from the police officer who came to the scene and said no report needed filing because there was no collision, so if the insurance co has a problem with my wife correcting things tomorrow, they can talk to the officer who came to the scene. additionally, they can talk to the mechanic at the shop THEY recommended regarding the situation.

she also mentioned to me that when the tow truck showed up, the driver thought for sure it was going to be a busted ball joint on the jeep. apparently, there was a recall for jeep liberties for faulty lower ball joints a number of years ago (after we bought it), and we never got that notice. so, my wife will be having that dealt with ASAP. it does not appear at this point to be related to this problem. however we'll find out more tomorrow when the mechanic gets it up on the lift.
    The posts sheered off while the wheel was coming off or they slammed against the wheel once it was free. There could be wear marks on the rim somewhere if the posts impacted it.

Still sounds very suspicious to me. An extremely unlikely scenario to just happen.

99% sure she would have felt that wheel shifting around, possibly making some noise if the lugs were slowly coming loose.

I've forgotten to tighten the lugs before on a wheel and it's immediately noticable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tm240z View Post
    All the tire shops here require that when they take wheels off/put back on, the wheels must be re-torqued after 300 miles. This is a relatively new rule, maybe wheels falling off happens more often than one would think.
    we had a very difficult time getting ANY work done correctly on her jeep in this crappy town in TX. I found a good import shop to take my Honda for service, and a decent local tire shop when I needed new tires.

my wife, OTOH, kept taking her jeep to the cheap chains. MULTIPLE times, the oil change places (a few different ones) could not put a filter on correctly without it leaking, or adequately tightening the oil plug. the dealer seemed to do sufficient work, but she got pissed at them because of a recurring problem with the power window mechanism failing twice. she wound up having to replace the stock plastic part with an aftermarket steel one a dude had manufactured and sold on ebay, which has held. we are biding our time on the other 3 windows, however. at any rate, because jeep/chrysler refused to admit that a part was inadequately designed/manufactured, she did not like taking service to the jeep dealer in town.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    The posts sheered off while the wheel was coming off or they slammed against the wheel once it was free. There could be wear marks on the rim somewhere if the posts impacting it.

Still sounds very suspicious to me. An extremely unlikely scenario to just happen.

99% sure she would have felt that wheel shifting around, possibly making some noise if the lugs were slowly coming loose.

I've forgotten to tighten the lugs before on a wheel and it's immediately noticable.
    she sent me pictures of the wheel on my phone this evening. yeah, there's a lot of wear evident on the wheel from the posts. whether they sheared off or came off when the wheel was free, I don't know. she did not take pictures of the hub.

she noticed a noise yesterday when driving home, but could not adequately describe the problem. she was going to talk to a shop once she got to work, maybe take it somewhere on her lunch break. obviously she never got that far.

at the end of April, I drove it over 800mi with a fairly heavy trailer and did not notice anything amiss. about a week prior to that, I pulled a trailer with a yard and a half of dirt to fill a hole in my yard and had no problems, even using 4wd to move that trailer in my sandy backyard. I still think it is something that happened after she got there.

she is talking to people who are giving the same two alternatives that I'm hearing.
    1. someone removed the lug nuts intentionally
    2. the tire shop that did the rotation did not tighten the lug nuts well enough

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    we had a very difficult time getting ANY work done correctly on her jeep in this crappy town in TX. I found a good import shop to take my Honda for service, and a decent local tire shop when I needed new tires.

my wife, OTOH, kept taking her jeep to the cheap chains. MULTIPLE times, the oil change places (a few different ones) could not put a filter on correctly without it leaking, or adequately tightening the oil plug. the dealer seemed to do sufficient work, but she got pissed at them because of a recurring problem with the power window mechanism failing twice. she wound up having to replace the stock plastic part with an aftermarket steel one a dude had manufactured and sold on ebay, which has held. we are biding our time on the other 3 windows, however. at any rate, because jeep/chrysler refused to admit that a part was inadequately designed/manufactured, she did not like taking service to the jeep dealer in town.

My friend has had 2 Grand Cherokees. He didn't learn his lesson the first time and bought another one. The first one had a plastic part in the tranny that failed multiple times and his current model has had transfer case issues and it threw a piston. He calls it his "Cheap" (rhymes with Jeep).

Weird because I've had two Dodge trucks and both were pretty stellar. My last Dakota had the same motor as his current GC has and mine is still tight and does not burn nor leak any oil after 160,000 miles. It's my Dad's second vehicle these days... I retired it from it's hauling days.

meow meow
    my uncle was driving and the posts sheared right off the axle and his wheel flew off. so it does happen.

mtbr member
    I had loose lug nuts on a vette once. Heard the occasional popping sound but couldn't figure it out. Was driving my g-friend home and just turned onto her street when the whole tire come off! cracked the front panel and the hood all up. Luckily no one was hurt. I also have a dakota with 170,000 miles and no leaks or problems.

Is not amused
    It could have just sheered off. Hopefully it really wasn't foul play. I had a Jeep a long time ago and while on the highway the transfer case slipped and went into 4LO on the highway. I'm pretty sure I shlt my pants that day. Blew just about everything up and gave me a good reason to upgrade to an Atlas II transfer case. Anyhow, glad your wife is okay.

since 4/10/2009
    here's the wheel photo she took at the shop this evening. she tells me that the mechanic pointed out wear on all of the holes, though it's not apparent to me in all of them in this pic. she says the mechanic has been taking many pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crap...vehicle troubles-imagejpeg_2.jpg  

Suckin wind like a boss
    i see wear one the one hole. the other 4 dont look at all like they had a loose nut wobbling there for any length of time.

thats the backside of the wheel. whats the front look like?
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i see wear one the one hole. the other 4 dont look at all like they had a loose nut wobbling there for any length of time.

thats the backside of the wheel. whats the front look like?
    Don't have a front shot.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    3 of the 5 holes show out of round wear but only the top one looks fresh. Gotta see the busted off studs to see if they look long term worn or freshly worn.

since 4/10/2009
    Some friends described another potential scenario.

Over torqued lug nuts can cause the studs to fatigue and break. These tires were last rotated by a tire max, and these chains are notorious for cranking the lug nuts too tight with their impact drivers.

At least this theory can be tested on the remaining wheels. Gonna have the wife get the shop to check the other wheels. May be a possible avenue for reimbursement. There may be fatigue on the other wheels/studs, also, if this one failed for that reason

I dd what you see there.
    Unfortunately the rim will only tell you the "witness" account. Only one hole is damaged, so conceivably the other 4 nuts/studs were missing before it was able to wobble on the one and destroy the hole. And yes, the weight of a jeep (turning and braking and what not) will pull the threads off the bottom of the stud if the others nuts are missing.

I'd need to see the hub with the studs to accurately determine the victim's side of the story.

However, you said, there were 2 studs left and 3 missing? Right?

It's kind of sounding to me like you might have had the opposite problem to LOOSE lug nuts - you had over-torqued lugs. This is a major concern NOW that most tool companies are releasing pneumatic 1/2" impact "guns" that are reaching up to 700 ft lbs in the forward setting. Compare that to most 4-wheelers (cars and light trucks) that see wheel nut torque specs in the range of 80 ft lbs to maybe 140 ft lbs on 3/4 ton pick ups. I'm a mechanic and once for craps and giggles I laid into a lug nut on one of our busses, with my 1/2" impact and then we went on it with a 3/4" manual torque wrench and the gauge went to 415ft lbs before the nut moved.

My guess is an "apprentice" guy at one of these "chain shops" you speak of, zipped on one lug, so the rim is still sitting a little cockeyed. Then the second nut gets zipped on and straightens the rim on the hub (if he's tightening with the star pattern) and then the other three remaining nuts get locked on as hard the gun can do, thus the three broken studs and the one initially tightened lug was left a little loose. If you look at which two studs are remaining, I'll wager they won't be beside each other......
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

I dd what you see there.
    lol - 10 minutes apart...

you owe me a beer

uh oh
    My wife cannot seem to figure out simple man-made things such as:
    • closing lids on jars and bottles
    • properly closing ziploc bags
    • following through with closing doors and cupboards (and the fridge door )
    • cleaning up messes she leaves behind

But yes, I’ve heard that, “Honey, the car made a funny sound then stopped working” many girlfriends in a row, in addition to my wife.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

since 4/10/2009
    I am going to get pics of this stuff one way or another. I know the shop it's at right now and will get them to e-mail them to me directly if I have to. I am still in the same town as the tire max that last rotated the tires and will have to serve as point for any reimbursement.

I have managed to get chain shops to reimburse for shoddy work plus the cost to repair said shoddy work by another mechanic before so I can manage it here. It will just be a little tougher with the vehicle at a shop some 800+mi away. Will just need to get appropriate documentation from the shop doing the repairs.

Hopefully I will not have to go through insurance

since 4/10/2009
    got a hub pic this morning from the wife. 4 of 5 studs sheared off. one looks like it's had some time to get rusty (but had a little bit of material hanging on), while the others look like they are fresh. remaining stud is understandably bent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crap...vehicle troubles-image06202012095920.jpg  

I dd what you see there.
    I'm thinking medical malpractice.

Certainly has to be over torqued lugs rather than loosened lugs. There is damage on the face of the rotor from the wheel smacking against it (on the right of that picture) - just happens to be opposite from the one stud that survived - I'll bet upon closer inspection, there will be no threads on the bottom of that stud where they were pulled out loosening the wheel to smack against the rotor's face, causing that "isolated" damage.

If all the lugs were loose, there'd be damage randomly all the way around the face, not just in that one area.

Nevermind the forensics we're playing with here - you should pressure the garage that repaired it last, because the reality of the situation is that you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than having 4 studs mysteriously snap off of a properly mounted wheel, within what you claim is a relatively short period of time.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    My wife cannot seem to figure out simple man-made things such as:
    • closing lids on jars and bottles
    • properly closing ziploc bags
    • following through with closing doors and cupboards (and the fridge door )
    Can i explain these three?
    . lids are annoying and if they dont close the first time on the first twist, then fvck it
    . see above
    . see above

fap

oh, would it steal NateH's thunder too much to turn this into a generalized car issue thread?

because my AC in my car works fine...but the condensation isnt draining out the bottom like it should, instead, its leaking into my passenger-side floor, usually towards the back seat. i didnt realize this for a long time, then suddenly i had a pond forming. I know its probably clogged somewhere, and somebody told me how to follow the hose by pulling back the carpet, but it goes too far into the back, and i lose it. It seems like something that should be fixable easily without taking to a garage.
    fap

mtbr member
    Look at some parts microfishe at dealer online whatever to see where it exits the car. Use water/air pressure from a hose or weedwaker twine or some sorta "snake" to clear the clog.
    Round and round we go

^ think i fixed it. i looked at a bunch of diagrams to see where the AC drain tube was (by the engine), but after squeezing what i THINK was the AC rubber drain, there was no clog. So i crawled under the passenger side dasboard area, pulled out he carpet, and found the other end of that same rubber hose and it was totally disconnected from the the hole it should be attached to. Makes total sense, it must have been kicked loose, and all the condensation was draining all over my floor. I reattached the hose, and I'll know for sure when i run my AC my whole commute home, if i solved my problem!
    fap

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had forgotten to tighten the front wheel of my car once after doing some work on it.
    Was driving on the freeway when I heard a thumping sound like a flat tire. Pulled over and after a few minutes trying to figure out the sound, I grabbed the tire and tugged on it, yep, it was loose. STUPID ME!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A perfect example of why I wrench on my own stuff. I don't trust anybody else and if I did I am too cheap to pay current labor rates.

banned
    Sep 2007
    This is why I don't rotate tires at all... I run them until they are worn out in the position they were first mounted. Never had a lug nut issue. I also was a tire buster /balancer /changer also in my teens. Too many self medicating teenagers in these menial paying jobs that just don't care about doing a good job.

mtbr member
    All of the possible scenarios mentioned sound possible.

Also Nate, didn't the move take (wife at least) you to Indiana?
    Seems like when school is out for the summer, the following weeks we get stolen lugs, torqued off lugs, valve stems removed, gas caps swiped, and windshields broken out.

Every now-and-then we get rocks or bricks thrown from overpasses, too.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    All of the possible scenarios mentioned sound possible.

Also Nate, didn't the move take (wife at least) you to Indiana?
    Seems like when school is out for the summer, the following weeks we get stolen lugs, torqued off lugs, valve stems removed, gas caps swiped, and windshields broken out.

Every now-and-then we get rocks or bricks thrown from overpasses, too.
    Yep, she is in IN now. I would not rule out mischief in the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just for the record, ive been a mechanic for a little over 10 years for various dealerships. That being said, that wheel has been grossly overtightened. Anything short of medium duty pickup (think F250/GM2500) should be torqued to at least 70ft lbs and no more than 100ft lbs. Ive run every car ive ever owned at 100ft lbs without fault, and ive never had a broken lug stud on any of my customers cars using the same method. That being said, I did accidentaly leave my gun at 140ft lbs after doing a F350 super duty and then used it on a Ford Escape. Snapped the lug stud in about 12 seconds. So an improperly and overtorqued lug nut could very easily be the culprit. And its a 99% probability that the tire chain that rotated the tires did it.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

banned
    Jan 2012
    No ****, somone wanted to assault your wife..
    OT: Seems someone unscrewed that bolts..

uh oh
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    No ****, somone wanted to assault your wife..
    OT: Seems someone unscrewed that bolts..
    Hey Volvoman, you know about these guys???

VP Autoparts
    www.aaronreedbaker.com T5 swap
    R-Sport International - Volvo Performance and Repair Parts
    Boost HomePage
    INGVAR GUNNARSSON MOTORSPORT AB
    Home - Kaplhenke Racing

I sadly miss my 1963 122S, 1963 P1800, 1969/70 1800S, 1970 142S, 1976 242GT, 1982 240 Turbo (intercooled!) wagon, and 1987 740 Turbo (intercooled!) wagon. All were stickshifts with many modifications. Meanwhile my wife has the 2010 V50 R-Design (stickshift and intercooled of course!) which we did the European Delivery Program through Volvo for, but nothing like the old-school RWD 120/140/240/740 Volvos of past.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Be willing to bet at least 4 of the five holes on the rim are wallowed out. More likely all of them to different degrees. It happens as the wheel begins to move away from the hub. Once it gets far enough away from the hub it sideloads the studs and snaps them off.
    99.9% sure it was from a loose wheel. Either from the earlier repair or from more sinister doings. You would be amazed how many times I see this in a year. Everyone starts with " Im hearing a strange knocking noise in my car"
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

since 4/10/2009
    Got a call from the mechanic yesterday. The other wheels were fine. Lugnuts neither too tight nor too loose. Stud threads looked fine. Locking lugnuts installed. Whatever caused this wheel to come off was an isolated incident and tracking it down any further at this point is going to be damn near impossible.

Going to make sure my wife gets the lugnuts checked after about two weeks. That's going to be the first opportunity she has to get them checked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Word of advice. I know youre in different states right now but you should be able to teach her to do this pretty easily. A decent torque wrench is about $85 from Sears. Go buy one and everytime you have the car serviced double check your lugnuts when you get home. Most cars dont need over 100 ft lbs and even the weakest of girls should be able to turn 100 ft lbs.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Word of advice. I know youre in different states right now but you should be able to teach her to do this pretty easily. A decent torque wrench is about $85 from Sears. Go buy one and everytime you have the car serviced double check your lugnuts when you get home. Most cars dont need over 100 ft lbs and even the weakest of girls should be able to turn 100 ft lbs.
    oh she's plenty smart enough to learn.

and I already have a torque wrench.

for now, it is better for her to just take it back to the shop to have someone else do it. my father has a torque wrench, but he'd blow a gasket if my wife even touched it. he's very protective of his torque wrench. he's overly protective of his tools, IMO. it is also highly unlikely that he'd check the lug nuts for her, too. I won't even go into that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know on this case since theres been a failure its better to take it back to the shop, it was just a thought for the future. Ever since I had a technician leave a wheel lose on my car (didnt find out till I was slowing down from 110mph at the track btw) im overly paranoid lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am wicked cool, thanks for noticing you unintelligent prick.

(Fyi: this is directed toward some coward that left me negative rep entitled (wow....youre so wicked cool brah) without the courtesy to sign it.)
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Hey Volvoman, you know about these guys???

VP Autoparts
    www.aaronreedbaker.com T5 swap
    R-Sport International - Volvo Performance and Repair Parts
    Boost HomePage
    INGVAR GUNNARSSON MOTORSPORT AB
    Home - Kaplhenke Racing

I sadly miss my 1963 122S, 1963 P1800, 1969/70 1800S, 1970 142S, 1976 242GT, 1982 240 Turbo (intercooled!) wagon, and 1987 740 Turbo (intercooled!) wagon. All were stickshifts with many modifications. Meanwhile my wife has the 2010 V50 R-Design (stickshift and intercooled of course!) which we did the European Delivery Program through Volvo for, but nothing like the old-school RWD 120/140/240/740 Volvos of past.
    No, I did not know them, thanks for the links.

Damn @ the 245 TIC, I really like that car.

Members who have read this thread: 0