mtbr member

Craigslist scam...

So I threw up my camera and lenses on CL to trade or sell and I get the obligatory scam email...I would like to purchase your product for my fiance...I'm sure you know the drill. So, I was going to let it slip...but this time I was curious. So, I made a new pp account and sent the guy a money request as requested and by god if there was $2350 in the account this morning!!!

Now of course I know it's all a scam and I'm not going to touch it cause I know it'll bite me in the ass, I just thought it was funny that the money was actually sent.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    So I threw up my camera and lenses on CL to trade or sell and I get the obligatory scam email...I would like to purchase your product for my fiance...I'm sure you know the drill. So, I was going to let it slip...but this time I was curious. So, I made a new pp account and sent the guy a money request as requested and by god if there was $2350 in the account this morning!!!

Now of course I know it's all a scam and I'm not going to touch it cause I know it'll bite me in the ass, I just thought it was funny that the money was actually sent.
    How is it a scam if they pay you?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimv View Post
    How is it a scam if they pay you?
    Fake bank account
    stolen bank account
    etc
    etc

mtbr member
    Yeah, hacked pp account is a common one too...what seems to happen is the money is sent, I would ship the item, buyer files a dispute, money is taken from me and returned to them, I'm out both. I was tempted for a second to open another bank account and link it to the new pp account I made and transfer the money and just sit on it for a little while and see what happens. I mean I'd have no issue shipping out my stuff if I could ensure the money was mine and remained mine, however the fact that the buyer wants the camera shipped to Nigeria is all I need to know to confirm scam, as if it wasn't obvious by the initial email.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Yeah, hacked pp account is a common one too...what seems to happen is the money is sent, I would ship the item, buyer files a dispute, money is taken from me and returned to them, I'm out both. I was tempted for a second to open another bank account and link it to the new pp account I made and transfer the money and just sit on it for a little while and see what happens. I mean I'd have no issue shipping out my stuff if I could ensure the money was mine and remained mine, however the fact that the buyer wants the camera shipped to Nigeria is all I need to know to confirm scam, as if it wasn't obvious by the initial email.
    There are some many countries in this world. What's the deal with Nigeria and craigslist scams..haha.

Mail them something. Maybe an empty box?

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    While I think it is a great idea to, "scam the scammers", be careful. Some are tied to organized crime.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    There are some many countries in this world. What's the deal with Nigeria and craigslist scams..haha.

Mail them something. Maybe an empty box?
    +1 - go get yourself a disposable camera and mail it to them. Then put the tracking number in your PP account. Then transfer the money to a new bank account. Once the transfer is complete close out the bank account.

Then hold the money for a while to make sure it is all good.

No Stranger to danger....
    hey, that was me Nubster, i sent that money, i wanted that for my lady, now send me the bloody camera....

mtbr member
    Sorry about that axeman...I'll get the camera out in the post today. I trust you, so I won't even wait for the money to clear.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    While I think it is a great idea to, "scam the scammers", be careful. Some are tied to organized crime.
    Yeah, not too worried about that. Thing is, I am not really trying to scam them per se, if I could get the money to clear and be mine 100% without worry of having it taken from me, I'd send the guy the camera.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Then transfer the money to a new bank account. Once the transfer is complete close out the bank account.

Then hold the money for a while to make sure it is all good.
    I did think about this...not sure it's worth the trouble, but maybe it could be...I'm the curious type so I'd kinda like to see if I could manage to make it work so I could keep the money, whether by way of scamming the scammer or legitimate and send the guy his stuff even though I am sure he's not expecting a camera to arrive in the mail...lol
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Heres the issue with that. The reason they commit all these scams out of Nigeria is there is no extradition to Nigeria. In other words, no matter what kind of shenanigans they pull the US will not go after them. However, you are in the US. So if you get caught up in and they can show you were aware it was a scam, even though you are scamming a scammer, you'll get in all the trouble they should.

My suggestion: Everytime you have any corespondance with anyone from Nigeria. Send them an email back putting a curse on their family. Nigerians are HIGHLY superstitious and will flip the F out at the sight of this. These scumbags do nothing but steal money from the naive and have even caused alot of "innocent" people to recieve federal jail time.

Extra: Adiok Ono Fi = God Punish You.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I was tempted for a second to open another bank account and link it to the new pp account I made and transfer the money and just sit on it for a little while and see what happens.
    Somehow this reminded me of "No Country for Old Men" and the briefcases of cash.

Members who have read this thread: 0