COVID Zombies- Mtbr.com

Thread: COVID Zombies

Meatbomb

COVID Zombies

That's what I call them. In the mornings when I go for a ride these days I stay off the mountains and am riding the bike paths and green belts (no insurance and the last place I want to end up is in an ER these days) and can not believe the number of people walking, jogging and riding bikes (wish I had opened a bike shop a couple months ago, they can not keep sub $800.00 bikes in stock they are selling so fast).

You can tell that a vast majority of them have never exercised before and are just out due to boredom.

What's it like in your area?

Strange days.

Up In Smoke
    A lot of people going from completely sedentary lifestyle to riding 7 days a week. A lot of people will burn out by summer

mtbr member
    Last few weeks the bike paths and parks have been crazy busy. Those that are out are definitely zombies. just walking in random directions, no clue to the others around them. But now it's 107+ this week not to many people out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COVID Zombies-img_20200419_102312344.jpg  

Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Whatever gets people out exercising is a good thing.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Whatever gets people out exercising is a good thing.
    Its a bit ironic. It took the government telling people to stay home and shelter in place for them get out and exercise.

mtbr member
    Donít think iív ever seen so many families out and exercising together. Pollution way down, even birds sound different
    Round and round we go

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Its a bit ironic. It took the government telling people to stay home and shelter in place for them get out and exercise.
    Sort of. At least around here, the state and city did urge people to get out and exercise while social distancing.
    Research, learn, and grow. Agree or disagree with evidence and analysis.

Real eyes realize real lies.

High Desert MTBer
    I've been watching a continual procession each morning of complete strangers go by my house. It's not as if they are coming from somewhere else, this is a dead end! I managed the end of the street this morning, about a mile walk there and back, and recognized no one... And I know most of the neighbors!
    Not sure about the trails tho, bit out of reach now...
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Donít think iív ever seen so many families out and exercising together. Pollution way down, even birds sound different
    Where I walk my dogs, there are some massive grass fields that are used by numerous youth soccer and flag football teams for practice, and occasional games. One of the fields was shared by adults playing soccer or ultimate frisbee. There were also a few personal trainers holding circuit training or yoga sessions.

When the shutdown started, all that went away. It was so weird to go out and see completely empty fields that would usually be filled with dozens to hundreds of people. It's no exaggeration to say, "it's quiet -- too quiet" when I'm there with the mutts.

I don't know if/when the larger team gatherings will start back up, but there are small groups showing up for "one-on-one" sessions -- say, one coach with a couple of kids just doing timed sprints and footwork drills.

One thing I noticed this weekend, doing yard work at my house was the absence of noise from the little league field a few blocks away. No ping of the bat or crowds cheering.

CEO Product Failure

We the people ...

Massive up tick in people being outdoors in these parts. Low-end ("consumer" level) bikes sales are way up. Lots of families out walking in the neighborhood between 4-7pm.

I've avoided riding outdoors since March 8th. All our local trails were packed, then all parks and paved trails were closed, they are now just reopening (Missiouri). My wife and I rode on May 2nd (third mtb ride of 2020). We are considering another ride this weekend but at a more remote/less popular location and at 6am (versus peak hours). Nearly everyone we encountered on Sat (may 2) was very courteous and respected social distancing except one group of 8-10 mtbrs who were obviously on a group ride (not cool). The C19 transimission rates in these parts are still on the rise.

mtbr member
    Sunlight and exercise greatly enhance the immune response.

Amazingly, there are even studies that the smell of evergreen trees (Tokyo and Stanford combined study - as I recall) increase the number and efficacy of monocytes in the immune system.

Do the normal recommended stuff, but getting outside is a good thing.

From the NIH website (2009 discussion):
    "The H1N1 ďSpanish fluĒ outbreak of 1918Ė1919 was the most devastating pandemic on record, killing between 50 million and 100 million people. Should the next influenza pandemic prove equally virulent, there could be more than 300 million deaths globally.

The conventional view is that little could have been done to prevent the H1N1 virus from spreading or to treat those infected; however, there is evidence to the contrary. Records from an ďopen-airĒ hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, suggest that some patients and staff were spared the worst of the outbreak. A combination of fresh air, sunlight, scrupulous standards of hygiene, and reusable face masks appears to have substantially reduced deaths among some patients and infections among medical staff."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

9 lives
    I do support people making an effort to improve their fitness or health ... I often give the "thumbs up" to passing cyclists and other runners however... some are still covidiots.

COVID Zombies-95922151_2683712081873226_1948718626034941952_o.jpg

I snapped this pic at a trailhead during my long run (I run the same route every weekend). Back in pre-covid days, I would see one or 2 cars parked off road, by the gate, once per month! Now, as the weather gets nicer and the pandemic quarantines continue, there will be more scenes like this. The trails that are open to the public were packed with zombies
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Here in 'Merica's Finest City, ( even if "we" DID get dumped by the GOP for their Nat. Convention site), people have ALWAYS been zombies. They don't need COVID to push them that direction...
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I do support people making an effort to improve their fitness or health ... I often give the "thumbs up" to passing cyclists and other runners however... some are still covidiots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95922151_2683712081873226_1948718626034941952_o.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	1330847

I snapped this pic at a trailhead during my long run (I run the same route every weekend). Back in pre-covid days, I would see one or 2 cars parked off road, by the gate, once per month! Now, as the weather gets nicer and the pandemic quarantines continue, there will be more scenes like this. The trails that are open to the public were packed with zombies
    Are these crowds due to more people, reduced numbers of trails available, or both?

No known cure
    The bike parks aren't open up here so actual mountain bikers aren't coming up and the altitude beats the rec riders pretty quickly. The heat below has drivin people up for fishing and walking the lake.

To the OP. I was in the ER yesterday for xrays and was the only one there for three hours. The skeleton staff was very lax too and they never even took my temp.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Are these crowds due to more people, reduced numbers of trails available, or both?
    A combination of less trails and less accessible things to do ... like going to a gym, playgrounds etc. The passengers probably "family members", of all generations and often with dogs. In the urban areas, I see way more cyclists than ever (they are often shaky, no helmets, riding on the wrong side of the road, on sidewalks etc.)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

well mannered lout
    Hell, I'm on private trails that don't connect to any public land and I still ran into people last weekend.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

mtbr member
    Our 'hood is overflowing with neighbors we've never seen (it's a very large tract), but I dig seeing people out and about. Many keep a reasonable distance, but when we see friends we tend to forget boundaries. The inclination is to get close, and then we remember to back off a bit.

I ride solo in busy areas all the time (parks and main path are humming), but am not worried about illin'...I keep a distance and I'm fast. I don't wear a mask when I ride; that's just goofy AF. I pose no threat using these logistics. I enjoy seeing others out and find it re-energizing.

People are reconnecting with nature, and I really hope it sticks. This covid business has been a boon for the resurgence of a healthier planet.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    And have you noticed certain members of the govt. don't wear face masks when they go out in public.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You should have seen the gov't officials on the tele bringing home the downed heli crew. All the majors shaking hands, talking within a foot, but wearing all black masks. So much for social distancing orders coming from the gov't themselves.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    And have you noticed certain members of the govt. don't wear face masks when they go out in public.
    Like the police? They dont wear masks but the Sherriff of this county and several others have stated they wont enforce an unconstitutional order.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Like the police? They dont wear masks but the Sherriff of this county and several others have stated they wont enforce an unconstitutional order.
    Yeah, I had a female sheriff come out when I thought I found an abandoned car in the orchards. She (the sheriff) wasn't wearing a mask and didn't seem to follow the distancing thing, either.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

mtbr member
    I prefer the term Covidiots but as long as there is more awareness for cyclists I'm good.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    That's what I call them. In the mornings when I go for a ride these days I stay off the mountains and am riding the bike paths and green belts (no insurance and the last place I want to end up is in an ER these days) and can not believe the number of people walking, jogging and riding bikes (wish I had opened a bike shop a couple months ago, they can not keep sub $800.00 bikes in stock they are selling so fast).

You can tell that a vast majority of them have never exercised before and are just out due to boredom.

Strange days.
    Pretty crazy here. Douchebags and peckerheads from all over still flocking here. Itís nuts. Self serving jerks abound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I pulled into a gas station today and after getting out to pump gas realized there was a police call. Two cop cars were parked off site and two cops were a pump away talking to a lady. I came in on the end of what happened as after a couple of minutes of conversation the cops walked away and drove off. Hmmm...I get out put my mask on and cover my hands with a paper towel to work the pump. Iím watching the commotion and realize the 8 other people pumping gas around me are all wearing masks. Neither one of the cops were. I almost said something to the guy pumping gas across from me but held my words as the cops were still there. I know damn well one of those cops would have watched and waited for me to leave then power tripped and pulled me over for something. Or, just taken my plate for future harassment. I respect cops but also know some use their power as a crutch. I just think if we are going to be forced to wear masks [which is a good thing in my opinion] what makes them above the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I pulled into a gas station today and after getting out to pump gas realized there was a police call. Two cop cars were parked off site and two cops were a pump away talking to a lady. I came in on the end of what happened as after a couple of minutes of conversation the cops walked away and drove off. Hmmm...I get out put my mask on and cover my hands with a paper towel to work the pump. Iím watching the commotion and realize the 8 other people pumping gas around me are all wearing masks. Neither one of the cops were. I almost said something to the guy pumping gas across from me but held my words as the cops were still there. I know damn well one of those cops would have watched and waited for me to leave then power tripped and pulled me over for something. Or, just taken my plate for future harassment. I respect cops but also know some use their power as a crutch. I just think if we are going to be forced to wear masks [which is a good thing in my opinion] what makes them above the law.
    Nothing. Technically, they should be setting an example for the rest of us. But I just have my bandanna around my neck for what look like "close" encounters" heading my way, just the same as I bet most of us here do as well.
    One thing I have done is slack off some from the nitrile glove wearing. I decided to reserve those for when I begin to treat patients again, which the State Board has begun referring to as a "gray area". I know several of my PT colleagues that have been doing so for a few weeks already, and they seem to want for me to join them. And I ain't getting any richer, either.
    Just call me Ray

I've bailed on using gloves too. I have DIY hand sanitizer in each car and use it before and after I pick up stuff from the store or pump gas.

I do keep a pair of gloves in each car for an emergency. For some reason we had 2 boxes of nitrile gloves in the garage when all this went down.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    ...For some reason we had 2 boxes of nitrile gloves in the garage when all this went down.
    "Turn your head and cough" by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Last few weeks the bike paths and parks have been crazy busy. Those that are out are definitely zombies. just walking in random directions, no clue to the others around them. But now it's 107+ this week not to many people out.
    A lot of people are working ten times harder because they are supplying those out of work with what they need to get projects done around the homestead. Those people are already too burnt out with little energy to ride in their off time. By summer hopefully the ones out riding now will be burnt out on not just riding but projects around the house. Then the ones working on the front lines will have enough energy and less crowded trails in which to enjoy some riding. *Rant over*.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I've bailed on using gloves too. I have DIY hand sanitizer in each car and use it before and after I pick up stuff from the store or pump gas.

I do keep a pair of gloves in each car for an emergency. For some reason we had 2 boxes of nitrile gloves in the garage when all this went down.
    I have the gloves for bike maintenance, but never used them for the covid life. We keep sanitizer in our car, and I use it at the gas stations that hung them up.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Now that it's warming up, I'm looking forward to the trails going back to 'normal' traffic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford went to his cottage after broadcasting to everyone on tv not to go to their cottages.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford went to his cottage after broadcasting to everyone on tv not to go to their cottages.
    Rich white men do whatever they want

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

Strange days.

You wish you opened up a bike shop of couple of months ago?

Where?

Dude, most bike shops won't be coming back, they were already hurting before this. Of the three I normally go to, one officially went out of business a few weeks ago, the other two I'm seriously holding my breath that ONE of them opens their doors after the quarantine is lifted. You were going to open one right before the quarantine? It's a non-essential business, brother. I'm sure some people wanted to time the market a couple of months ago too but many of those business will go under later and the investors lose all their money anyway.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

No we don't.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

OJ Simpson is not white, he can do whatever he wants, or used to before A) being found not guilty of murder and B) Felony in Nevada

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    You wish you opened up a bike shop of couple of months ago?

Where?

Dude, most bike shops won't be coming back, they were already hurting before this. Of the three I normally go to, one officially went out of business a few weeks ago, the other two I'm seriously holding my breath that ONE of them opens their doors after the quarantine is lifted. You were going to open one right before the quarantine? It's a non-essential business, brother. I'm sure some people wanted to time the market a couple of months ago too but many of those business will go under later and the investors lose all their money anyway.
    Hmmmm. Bike shops are essential in most places. Most of the ones here are killing it. Some are busier than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    "Pop up" bike shop, if you would have only known huh LOL

mtbr member

Any color person in a position of power do whatever they want.
    Fixed it for you.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Better to be rich and powerful, then just powerful with no cash.

Snow Dog
    funny that around Central Ohio, it is still the temp that seems to dictate trail populstion

under 60? Ghost town. over 60? packed

I prefer to ride in te under 50* range, so trails are still empty like normal
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Now that it's warming up, I'm looking forward to the trails going back to 'normal' traffic.
    Lol
    When itís warm the trails are packed. Get out while thereís a chill in the air and you might have a good ride without dealing with so many other humans.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Lol
    When itís warm the trails are packed. Get out while thereís a chill in the air and you might have a good ride without dealing with so many other humans.
    I'm hoping the heat and humidity will keep the 'dabblers' away since from experience it's only during nice weather that gets all types of folks out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good weather and crowds you say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5505867
    Social distancing is crucial in slowing the spread of COVID-19, but that message doesn't seem to be getting across to Vancouver-area residents flocking to city parks and outdoor spaces.

If there's one place to 888% (asian lucky #) social distance, it'd be Vancouver and Toronto. Be more like 12' distancing in those places and wear N100 masks LOL.
    All other places 100% social distancing at 6' apart.