COVID-19 reimbursement from Government- Mtbr.com
    poser Administrator

COVID-19 reimbursement from Government

So the government, as part of their way of "helping" people out, which of course just means trying to get the stock market back into the bull territory, has decided to send all americans a check. Something in the realm of $1000-1200 per adult and less for kids is currently being pitched.

What I don't understand is how does help? I mean for an average family of four the grand total of this probably covers rent in Seattle, or their mortgage payment for a month. It probably leaves a few hundred to cover utilities if they own their hoe, or whatever groceries are available, if they rent. Maybe if they live in a cheap location it covers 2 months of rent but since this will take a couple of weeks to get underway, they will probably have back rent to pay then their current months rent. Same with mortgage payments.

If you haven't lost your job because of this you probably don't need this money anyway. If you have, you will have to find a job with the thousands and thousands of other unemployed people that lost their jobs this week or next week, etc. Until then you will need to cover your expenses each and every month until you get to that point and the thousand smackers ain't going to cover that.

I see this money, being gainfully employed as someone that can telecommute and having a large client that is not money strapped, as being a bonus for my family this year. I will take this money, and save it for the event this goes on much longer than I anticipate, then if I still have it when stores reopen will spend it at a local business to help ensure that they can get back on their feet and into my community. Others like me probably won't be so gracious and will put it into Amazon to buy goods they always wanted, thus propping up a company that isn't suffering in the least.

My recommendation is if you have the means to not need this money, spread it around in your local area, at local business, and local charities. Spend it at your local restaurants that have converted from restaurants to community kitchens during this crisis.

Spend it on local charities that do so much good, that this pandemic killed all sources of income and potential income for. Help them get back to doing well in your community.

It will be tempting to log on to your favorite online bike shop and spend it on something amazing but either wait until this clears and buy from your LBS, or just spread it around and get bike parts later. It is the right thing to do for those less fortunate within our community. If we don't work to get these small local business back on their feet after this is all over and done, we will be looking at much different world, much more unemployment, and a much changed civic landscape, filled with large companies with the finances to last the shutdown and all the character and benefit of our local business gone.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Minuchin Picking winners and losers is crazy
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    St.Jude.

Nuff said.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

High Desert MTBer
    Totally agree Rockcrusher. Let's redistribute this 'wealth' if it ain't a matter of life and death for us. That way we may see some sort of return to a better society when we come out of this.
    I also don't really see this as being effective help for most, and the cynic in me tells me it is just a way to garner support and eventual votes. If the feds want to truly help their citizens, they'd need to go a lot further.
    Instead of bailing out big corporations with our money, Make sure they can take rock bottom loans using their assets as collateral, so they can rebuild after the event. Then they can reward success for their execs when they have managed to get back on track, but not with our money like they did in banks before. That would release funds to people that would truly make a difference, and to small businesses that will need deep help during this period.
    It's all Here. Now.

EAT MORE GRIME
    no, I am hanging on to mine....

I have no idea the future of any of our jobs or income or ability to shelter/eat.

Some are all set, I am not all set.

Sure if you have excess cash laying around, distribute it. I have some excess 'I think' but it could go to 'all I will have for the foreseeable future' without notice, so...yeah I wanna help but I need to hang onto every scrap until all the sh*t has hit all the fans.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Formerly of Kent
    After reading the bill, the people who are going to need this money the most will only be getting $600.

That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

EAT MORE GRIME
    also

this is just to get to the next phase, or month...if things continue there may be more assistance coming, it is not a one-and-done just yet...
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    no, I am hanging on to mine....

I have no idea the future of any of our jobs or income or ability to shelter/eat.

Some are all set, I am not all set.

Sure if you have excess cash laying around, distribute it. I have some excess 'I think' but it could go to 'all I will have for the foreseeable future' without notice, so...yeah I wanna help but I need to hang onto every scrap until all the sh*t has hit all the fans.
    Agreed. I will sock ours away for a rain day but if that rain day never comes and I am back in the office working away, I will sink it locally as quickly as possible.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

since 4/10/2009
    I think the auto industry bailout is a reasonable example to use as how it "should" be done, which is basically what rockerc suggests. Give the industries loans (the ones who actually pay taxes here, not the cruise industry that registers their ships in tax havens - let the tax haven countries bail out the cruise industry) and make the interest rates low, but still charge interest. The country makes money when they pay that money back the way it did with the auto bailout.

I'm not really impressed with the proposal as it is, either. For the people who REALLY need it like restaurant/bar workers and other hourly folks (in my county yesterday, it got expanded to gyms, salons, and a bunch of other places), it simply isn't enough. So far, my income has been affected, but my wife's has not. I wasn't making very much, so such a bonus would actually make up for my lost income (plus some), but we have a decent savings and can fall back on credit cards on which do not currently carry a balance, if we really need to. Now, if my wife's employer shuts down and furloughs her (which is a real risk, as her boss is not very stable and isn't handling this very well), then the government check(s) will be wildly insufficient to make up for lost income or cover our bills.

I probably should look into whether I qualify for any unemployment benefits under the expanded rules. Even if I just end up putting that into the bank for now, like rockcrusher mentioned, the local businesses are going to be super hungry for that money when restrictions begin to get lifted and I'd like to spread it around if I can.

My neighborhood has started up with a checkin system where we keep in touch online and report how we're doing and whether we need anything.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Totally agree Rockcrusher. Let's redistribute this 'wealth' if it ain't a matter of life and death for us. That way we may see some sort of return to a better society when we come out of this.
    I also don't really see this as being effective help for most, and the cynic in me tells me it is just a way to garner support and eventual votes. If the feds want to truly help their citizens, they'd need to go a lot further.
    Instead of bailing out big corporations with our money, Make sure they can take rock bottom loans using their assets as collateral, so they can rebuild after the event. Then they can reward success for their execs when they have managed to get back on track, but not with our money like they did in banks before. That would release funds to people that would truly make a difference, and to small businesses that will need deep help during this period.
    Yup agreed. I think the Government bailout of shale, airlines, and gas companies because this has reduced their income is ridiculous. If they didn't maximize shareholder profits and instead planned some for a loss of demand, I would be more lenient in my support of a bail out. When my local business are all closed, and it is just Joe and Jane businessperson holding the reins of a couple of employees who get their healthcare out of their pocket and pay for their rent and necessities out of their paycheck and they have to lay those people off and hope the government bumps in a few thousand dollars and maybe rent forgiveness, it sucks.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I think the auto industry bailout is a reasonable example to use as how it "should" be done, which is basically what rockerc suggests. Give the industries loans (the ones who actually pay taxes here, not the cruise industry that registers their ships in tax havens - let the tax haven countries bail out the cruise industry) and make the interest rates low, but still charge interest. The country makes money when they pay that money back the way it did with the auto bailout.

I'm not really impressed with the proposal as it is, either. For the people who REALLY need it like restaurant/bar workers and other hourly folks (in my county yesterday, it got expanded to gyms, salons, and a bunch of other places), it simply isn't enough. So far, my income has been affected, but my wife's has not. I wasn't making very much, so such a bonus would actually make up for my lost income (plus some), but we have a decent savings and can fall back on credit cards on which do not currently carry a balance, if we really need to. Now, if my wife's employer shuts down and furloughs her (which is a real risk, as her boss is not very stable and isn't handling this very well), then the government check(s) will be wildly insufficient to make up for lost income or cover our bills.

I probably should look into whether I qualify for any unemployment benefits under the expanded rules. Even if I just end up putting that into the bank for now, like rockcrusher mentioned, the local businesses are going to be super hungry for that money when restrictions begin to get lifted and I'd like to spread it around if I can.

My neighborhood has started up with a checkin system where we keep in touch online and report how we're doing and whether we need anything.
    The cruise industry is indeed hardly an American industry! Most of the employees are foreign nationals, and they are as you say registered in tax havens. Not our problem I'd say. Help the US employees as they would any other US citizen.
    It's all Here. Now.

Fart smeller
    Not sure what to do in my case.

I have a job that, apparently, is still going strong despite the virus crisis. I say "apparently" because the bosses are saying work will be picking up in the coming weeks and to brace for a lot more work. Not sure how much they've researched how their business will be impacted by the virus.

Gov. Newsom is telling us to "shelter-in-place", but I can't afford to miss work. What is helping in my case is we are a small company in an isolated part of town, and chances of employees coming in sick are slightly less than a company that has hundreds/thousands of employees. We also don't deal directly with the public, except for truck drivers and a few walk-ins every now & then. I'm at the age where I'm on the cusp of being in the higher risk bracket for the coronavirus, and my co-workers are not showing signs of being any more diligent about personal hygiene, other than using hand sanitizer once in a while.

No answers here: https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...bb3446c242585c

I know that if I told my employers that I would be heeding the "shelter-in-place" rule, I would be out of a job PDQ, with no benefits or paid sick leave. I'll be contacting my landlord, asking if there will be any breaks for residents with no income, but I'm not holding out for much hope, there, either.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

One ring to mash them all
    I'm going to invest mine in the market!

(The one down the street with food.)
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    for my wife and I this isn't necessary for us. Unless Arizona goes into total lockdown my job will continue, my wife's job will have to continue especially right now. I will definitely spread it locally. The little pizzeria down the road is still doing carry out but their money comes from the bar and unfortunately you can't have a beer to go. The owners are good friends and they are getting in a tight spot. but ordering a few pizzas doesn't add up to much. Just give them a good tip I guess.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

poser Administrator
    I surf craigslist auto and cars a lot in my spare time. Always like to see what is going on out there, maybe that unicorn of car will come up and my wife will let me go for it. What I have noticed is a lot more full size pickups coming up and I live in Seattle where a full size is a bad idea as a DD, narrow streets, parking, etc. I think a lot of tradespeople have throwing their work trucks up for sale to get them through this thing. They are listed cheap too.

I am seeing a lot of higher mileage super duty trucks under $10k. That is like a fire sale for those types of things. Especially the diesel ones.

This is looking bad.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Last night before I heard more details such as who is entitled and how much people would get, I said "I don't know if I would even qualify" because I am not considered low income.

If I am entitled, I plan to spread it around to a few folks that need the help more than I do.
    There are a few employees that can't work while I can. For example, I have a drafting job that I am doing from home, but you can't work in the reprographics department, you can't be a receptionist, you can't manage facilities when the office is essentially shut down.

Depending how I handle the situation and how long it extends, I'll probably save money as I'm not buying lunch or commuting to the office daily. I'll still get out a couple days for a ride, as long as that remains possible, and make a trip to the store as necessary though.
    I'm stocked up to what I should need for 2 weeks, more stuff will last longer (don't have a month supply of milk for example).

mtbr member
    I'm retired and won't get much of this money - nor should I!

Right now, it appears the money will be distributed based on your 2018 tax return.
    It could change, but it looks like a sliding scale up to $99k single, $198k couple. That seems like a threshold that is too high, in my view.

There are people who will need the money to just get half way through April. It might be enough to hold off disaster. It's imperfect, but if the decision is to not give out any funds, it would be very bad for many people.

Giving someone $600 to $1200 to buy food, pay rent, etc. is hardly a way to lift the stock market! Unless forestalling panic counts as boosting the market.

We are going to borrow money to pay for anything we do, but putting a halt to the collection of withholding would give businesses a significant break (close to 10% of payroll plus the almost 10% the recipients of paychecks pay out) on hiring people, or even retaining those with jobs. Jobs, not handouts are going to be the thing everyone needs.
    Additionally, you could make those funds available through unemployment insurance in the short term.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I surf craigslist auto and cars a lot in my spare time. Always like to see what is going on out there, maybe that unicorn of car will come up and my wife will let me go for it. What I have noticed is a lot more full size pickups coming up and I live in Seattle where a full size is a bad idea as a DD, narrow streets, parking, etc. I think a lot of tradespeople have throwing their work trucks up for sale to get them through this thing. They are listed cheap too.

I am seeing a lot of higher mileage super duty trucks under $10k. That is like a fire sale for those types of things. Especially the diesel ones.

This is looking bad.
    Hmm, you don't say. It turns out that my brother in law is a painter who just happens to really need a new truck or van. This might be a great opportunity for him.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    My wife and I were discussing this, and because I'm still working and she's getting paid (teacher), we'll likely donate whatever we get. Maybe a food bank, although it seems Russell and Ciara might have that one covered.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Send my check directly to my broker. With the market down, this is a buying opportunity.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Minuchin Picking winners and losers is crazy
    I am not sure how sending money to every adult and family is picking anything.

I am with the OP to a point. We do not need the money and it would not change our situation. I would rather see it be targeted toward those in need. I do not see where this stimulus will impact the stock market to any significant degree.

It would be nice the the senators the utilized their insider info to cash out shared a bit of their windfall...the bastards. (from both sides of the aisle)

Wanna ride bikes?
    Wow, an adult conversation in OC, I'm not sure what to say? Thanks for not ruining it by freaking out or being immature!

I agree the sum of money is insufficient for the people that need it, and it doesn't entirely make sense the way it's planned at the moment, but it will buy some time and maybe that's the point? If things get much much worse than more drastic measures can be taken in the future, but things have escalated quickly in the last week. Having a quick response is a good start.

There's so many unknowns. With much of the country taking the virus spread seriously, it will significantly slow the spread. There are other places/demographics in the US that haven't seemed to change their behavior much, only time will tell if that will be a significant factor or if they will start to change their behavior.

I feel like if we collectively shut the spread of this thing down NOW, and are able to slow the spread enough, we can get back to normality much much sooner (thinking in terms of weeks). If it takes 3-4 months to work its way through the population we're in trouble economically.

I'm OK for a while, my paycheck is secure regardless of what happens, but if I get a bonus from the Gov I'll hang on to it in case this goes on longer than expected, and when the time comes I'll support local business that needs to get back on it's feet.

Or, maybe I'll buy a Ferrari, honestly haven't decided yet.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Hmm, you don't say. It turns out that my brother in law is a painter who just happens to really need a new truck or van. This might be a great opportunity for him.
    There is a bunch of cheap vans. Maybe it is just a timing thing but it looks like a lot of vehicles i usually don't see on there. I always look just in case some has a delica for sale for a reasonable chunk or a pickup truck or something cool. There was a maserati SM on there today, basketcase but still. Maybe people are dumping their treasures because they have bunch of time and can't find the happiness to address the old maser or the old parts car so they list it. I dunno.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    To the original post. I agree RC and kudos to you for being so thoughtful and spreading the word, $1000 even to the destitute is nothing. How dare the Government offer such a measly sum of a gesture to the times we are facing.

Now to catch up on some other responses. I’m sure I’m in for some doozies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Meatbomb
    I'm buying stocks with mine if I get a check.....

Nat
    mtbr member
    Finch, based on what I’ve read, “shelter in place” permits you to go to work.

mtbr member
    So what will they have to cut in the future to cover this $1,000,000,000,000? And what amount of this goes to the people, a billion? The $1000 check seems meaningless in the grand scope of this.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Pipe Dreamer
    delica
    My friend in SoCal is so into vans right now, he sends me pics of those and others off the internets all the time. He's got a sweet 85'ish VW right now.

I can't understand the current trend in vans, especially work vans aka 'workies' (tnx, 1ring) with their stretched out front ends, must be a safety thing but they look hideous compared to older vans. Even Safaris and Astro vans look better!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    I'll bet they'll make us pay income tax on it too.

EAT MORE GRIME
    holy f*** !!!

rockcrusher was right

I checked my local craigslist and there are...MANY very nice and super cheap trucks, unreal

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sending people money is the most idiotic thing possible. Many of the essential people still working will get checks, and it will not necessarily go to those out of work. Instead they should use the money to fund extended unemployment, where only the people that are actually out of work get the $$. Government is, as usual, stupid.
    2020 Giant Trance 29
    2018 Jamis Dragonslayer
    2018 Orbea Alma
    1998 Trek 930

GONE
    Nov 2008
    For those here who are skeptical about the idea of sending you cash, would you still feel the same if it was $10K per person?

I think we should think of this a positive step, regardless of the figure. The idea is to help those who can use it, and believe me, for many if not most of us, anything will help. For those who don't need it, do as you will with it. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend it when it is safe to spend it as a means of rebuilding the economy.

The Govt could do nothing. Consider that.

BTW, for those of you who don't need it, reach out to me with PM and I will give you my address. You can send it to me because I need it.

mtbr member
    I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier, but my money will definitely go towards Harold's hooker and blow.

All fat, all the time.
    It's unfortunate that more people don't have savings in case of emergency, but that's an entirely different subject.

If my wife gets a check like that, I think we will do as suggested above, try to spread it around the local small businesses that are trying to stay afloat and keep paying their employees.
    We have a great brick oven pizza place just down the road.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    It's unfortunate that more people don't have savings in case of emergency, but that's an entirely different subject.

As things are there will always be a percentage of the population that lives paycheck to paycheck, mathematically I don't think there's any way around that. Haves & have nots.

Anyway, $600 is a joke in these circumstance, how will poor people survive if/when this goes on for many months, or longer? Also I have no idea how most small businesses, or many large ones for that matter can weather this storm.
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    based on the last I heard about the bill, the amount is likely to be wildly insufficient for those who really need it, my wife and I won't qualify for a dime, and the upper cap is probably still higher than it ought to be.

https://time.com/5806879/washington-coronavirus-aid/

on the plus side, it sounds like there's some mortgage relief options available if that sort of thing is needed and maybe by taking advantage of all of the relief options available will actually wind up helping people who need it. still, when it comes to people renting, it likely that people will wind up being all over the place. Some people will have awesome landlords, but I expect some people will get evicted.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/81834...m_campaign=npr

mtbr member
    If you don’t need the money, or hold it until this passes, “spread it around“ does not require you to make a purchase....

Just a thought.

Here is a bit of info to see what $1000.00 can do:

A recent partnership with Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare confirmed that these results are real: an analysis of patients referred to Meals on Wheels showed a 21% decrease in hospital utilization after a year of receiving meals. A meal costs about $8 to prepare and deliver, so it’s a simple and economical way to positively affect the health of our senior neighbors.

https://www.mifa.org/newsevents/post...sults-are-real

Just one example in one city.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I need 3k cash for new bike.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Aren't you from Canada, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Aren't you from Canada, eh?
    Oops, another faux on Finches part. Lol
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    How many rolls of toilet paper is that?

That would buy a lotta bootstraps.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Senate just voted against bailout package.

My 3k has dissappeared

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

High Desert MTBer
    As far as I know, the bill is not dead, just stalled while they try to add some oversight to the procedural parts. having no oversight on what could essentially become something of a free for all, without the people whose money it is knowing anything about how it is disbursed, would be untenable. We'll see what happens today, and I hope they can step above partisanship and do the right thing.
    I learned that my wife and I could qualify for 2400 bucks. We don't need it right now, I have enough to get by for a bit, but ask me in a month or two!
    It's all Here. Now.

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Finch, based on what I’ve read, “shelter in place” permits you to go to work.

They changed that recently from shelter in place to: all non-essential businesses are SHUT DOWN. All of them. You go into a strip mall in California now, 80% of the businesses are closed indefinitely. The others are gas stations, restaurants with take-out only, and grocery stores. This is going to destroy small businesses in CA, NY, IL, etc. Completely destroy them.

I get that if the epidemiological numbers are correct, that up to 50% of Americans could get infected later, and over 2 million could die without lockdowns, then I guess this has to happen. But when the epidemic is over, the economic fallout is going to be way worse than 2008-2009. It will be the equivalent to the great depression, at least in the states that have forced most businesses to close. $1-2K per month matters to families but it won't help a closed business stay afloat, not even close.

I don't think they should close non-essential businesses past April or past the next heat wave that comes through that weakens the virus. Yes, ban 65 years and over from public places unless they wear a mask. Set special times for seniors to shop, buy food, and get gas. Quarantine them, but quarantining everyone may save lives but will absolutely ruin state economies permanently. Don't mess with livelihoods. The big companies will swallow up the small ones yet again, just like they have been doing for 30+ years. People will survive, just to find no jobs that can even pay the bills, let alone restarting their businesses. Just adds more population to the homeless.

mtbr member
    Holding up help by a demand to forgive up to $30,000 of student debt for 45 million borrowers will not go over well.....

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...153039320.html

The legislation, called the Student Debt Emergency Relief Act, proposes the cancellation of at least $30,000 in outstanding debt, tax-free, and proposes that the Education Department (ED) “immediately assume responsibility” for the monthly payments of borrowers who hold federal loans while suspending involuntary collections or garnishments of wages or federal income tax returns amid the crisis.
    “During this unprecedented crisis, no one should have to choose between paying their student loan payment, putting food on the table or keeping themselves and their families safe and healthy,” Rep. Pressley said in a statement. “We must prioritize debt cancellation for the 45 million student loan borrowers who are struggling to pay off their debt during this difficult time.”

This money should be STRICTLY targeted and limited, not like the 08 09 bailouts, dispensed case by case as need is determined. Greatest, most immediate need first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Holding up help by a demand to forgive up to $30,000 of student debt for 45 million borrowers will not go over well.....

The legislation, called the Student Debt Emergency Relief Act, proposes the cancellation of at least $30,000 in outstanding debt, tax-free, and proposes that the Education Department (ED) “immediately assume responsibility” for the monthly payments of borrowers who hold federal loans while suspending involuntary collections or garnishments of wages or federal income tax returns amid the crisis.
    “During this unprecedented crisis, no one should have to choose between paying their student loan payment, putting food on the table or keeping themselves and their families safe and healthy,” Rep. Pressley said in a statement. “We must prioritize debt cancellation for the 45 million student loan borrowers who are struggling to pay off their debt during this difficult time.”
    A ton of people with these loans are not paying them anyhow. In my biz, we see the credit reports.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    James Clyburn (D., S.C.) told House Democrats last week that the Republican bill was “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision,” as a partisan move aimed at including policy unrelated to coronavirus funding.

Attempting to add on Climate policy to emergency funding for Hospitals in NYC is ridiculous. Delays like this are unforgivable. FROM EITHER SIDE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    "Never let a crisis go to waste"

High Desert MTBer

This money should be STRICTLY targeted and limited, not like the 08 09 bailouts, dispensed case by case as need is determined. Greatest, most immediate need first.
    I do not believe this is the time nor the place to try to work out grievances by either side. Every effort should be made to get the money to where it is needed most as quickly as possible, otherwise people will be going hungry. This is a time for the elected representatives in both houses to put people before their own agendas.
    Having said that, there absolutely HAS to be Congressional oversight and record of where the money is going, and bi-partisan agreement that major corporations receiving our money should have certain sensible restrictions on usage of profit when back on their feet.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    A ton of people with these loans are not paying them anyhow. In my biz, we see the credit reports.
    Friend of mine works in upper level at a big bank. He said many people are not paying loans, credit cards, bills, so on. They should allow people who are out of work penalty free skip on bills for a month. like skip a mortgage payment, just add the month to the back of the loan. Instead of more trillions added to the debt.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Friend of mine works in upper level at a big bank. He said many people are not paying loans, credit cards, bills, so on. They should allow people who are out of work penalty free skip on bills for a month. like skip a mortgage payment, just add the month to the back of the loan. Instead of more trillions added to the debt.
    Excellent point. Stop clock on debt. Restart on the other side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I do not believe this is the time nor the place to try to work out grievances by either side. Every effort should be made to get the money to where it is needed most as quickly as possible, otherwise people will be going hungry. This is a time for the elected representatives in both houses to put people before their own agendas.
    Having said that, there absolutely HAS to be Congressional oversight and record of where the money is going, and bi-partisan agreement that major corporations receiving our money should have certain sensible restrictions on usage of profit when back on their feet.
    We agree.

be1
    the beat goes on
    $1500 individual/ $7500 family? i'd rather they didn't borrow $1500 to give to me. cost of that money will be way more than that. there should be means testing. it won't change my life. and it won't make a difference to me. i also have enough extra to give to charity.

if you need it - take it. by all means. you'd be crazy not to.

mtbr member
    I will play the devils advocate.

What happened to the free market? Every person is supposed to have enough savings to last for three months, no? A company like Delta has close to $3 billion cash on hand. Apple has something well over 200 billion! And these companies are getting non payback loans from us?

Sht happens. We are paying people to do nothing and companies to do even less? And again, the entire tax take is only 3.5 trillion per year and this is 57% of that? And what will get cut next year when they have to pay the piper? Not funds to companies, but things like social security, medicare, and other government programs that benefit people.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post

What happened to the free market? Every person is supposed to have enough savings to last for three months, no? A company like Delta has close to $3 billion cash on hand. Apple has something well over 200 billion! And these companies are getting non payback loans from us?

Sht happens. We are paying people to do nothing and companies to do even less? And again, the entire tax take is only 3.5 trillion per year and this is 57% of that? And what will get cut next year when they have to pay the piper? Not funds to companies, but things like social security, medicare, and other government programs that benefit people.
    One thing is sure about printing money for everyone.
    It is a devaluation of everything working people do.

poser Administrator
    As if there wasn't enough evidence that this is bad:

3.3 million Americans filed for jobless benefits
    Last week saw the biggest jump in new jobless claims in history, surpassing the record of 695,000 set in 1982.

I am glad they passed this bill but I wonder what will become of all the small businesses left behind? I hope there is rent forgiveness propositions in this bill as well as an easy way for business owners to get this money before they default or get in over their heads. When you think about the supply chain and the support industries and how they will be impacted it is hard to imagine how insane recovery will be for your locals. When this is over it makes sense if you can spare it to head out and drop some coin at your LBS. You know, to support the economy and such. I need tires.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

be1
    the beat goes on
    i'm glad they put an income cap on the payouts so that the people who need it will be the main recipients.

mtbr member
    As if there wasn't enough evidence that this is bad:

3.3 million Americans filed for jobless benefits
    Last week saw the biggest jump in new jobless claims in history, surpassing the record of 695,000 set in 1982.

I am glad they passed this bill but I wonder what will become of all the small businesses left behind? I hope there is rent forgiveness propositions in this bill as well as an easy way for business owners to get this money before they default or get in over their heads. When you think about the supply chain and the support industries and how they will be impacted it is hard to imagine how insane recovery will be for your locals. When this is over it makes sense if you can spare it to head out and drop some coin at your LBS. You know, to support the economy and such. I need tires.
    The bright side is that these numbers are NOT because of a bad economy like 1982, but rather the stay at home orders.

Granted, the stay at home orders will likely kill many small businesses leading to a bad economy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i'm glad they put a income cap on the payouts so that the people with lower income will be the main recipients.
    Me too. I will not be eligible for a check and I am just fine with that. Help those that need it.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Me too. I will not be eligible for a check and I am just fine with that. Help those that need it.
    for once they showed a modicum of restraint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    for once they showed a modicum of restraint.
    Yep, limited it to a mere 6 trillion dollars, or more than 1/4 of our current debt. There is no doubt plenty of pork in there that is unrelated to CV. Hopefully they realized it was not playing well with the public and got most of it out.

be1
    the beat goes on
    found this in the defintition for modicum. no point to be made but interesting:

"The Origins of Modicum Can Be Found in the Bathroom
    What does "modicum" have to do with a toilet? It just so happens that "modicum" shares the same Latin parent as "commode," which is a synonym of "toilet." "Modicum" and "commode" ultimately derive from the Latin noun modus, which means "measure." "Modicum" has been a part of the English language since the 15th century. It descends from the Latin modicus ("moderate"), which is itself a descendant of "modus." (Logically enough, "modicum" refers to a small "measure" of something.) "Modus" really measures up as a Latin root - it also gave us "mode" (originally a kind of musical "measure"), "modal," "model," "modern," "modify," and "modulate." More distant relatives include "mete," "moderate," and "modest."

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Yep, limited it to a mere 6 trillion dollars, or more than 1/4 of our current debt. There is no doubt plenty of pork in there that is unrelated to CV. Hopefully they realized it was not playing well with the public and got most of it out.
    yes. taking advantage of a situation as a way to get pet projects passed as people suffer - special place in hell reserved ....

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post

Yeah, I don't get it, bailing out these huge companies that have billions in profits each year. Makes no sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Why you ask?

Because they want to be re-elected.
    No better way to be re-elected then to give out money.

Canada's JT is giving out $2000/m for 4 months only for those affected by the China Virus. Tax season has been delayed for a couple months.

COVID-19 reimbursement from Government-b9833227-61bc-4a78-b939-cc5ee2ca8f1c.jpeg

All fat, all the time.
    Woohoo! Lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Dont they lose their drivers license too, or do they just move to a different state?

3M - Well yeah, makes sense right. Maybe that stimulus check should go to the ex.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Why you ask?

Because they want to be re-elected.
    No better way to be re-elected then to give out money.

Canada's JT is giving out $2000/m for 4 months only for those affected by the China Virus. Tax season has been delayed for a couple months.
    China virus?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    china virus?
    I'm sick of all the irish stereotypes, as soon as i finish this beer i"m punching someone.....
    And ordering some Chinese take out, LMAO....

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    China virus?
    Right.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Spanish Flu.
    West Nile Virus.
    Zika.
    German Measels.
    Norovirus.
    Lyme disease.
    Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

People suggesting some sort of nefarious motive in naming diseases after their places of origin is ignorant and uninformed. Conspiracy theorists.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Spanish Flu.
    West Nile Virus.
    Zika.
    German Measels.
    Norovirus.
    Lyme disease.

People suggesting some sort of nefarious motive in naming diseases after their places of origin is ignorant and uninformed. Conspiracy theorists.
    plus Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV)

mtbr member
    Spanish Flu.
    West Nile Virus.
    Zika.
    German Measels.
    Norovirus.
    Lyme disease.

"Lyme disease was diagnosed as a separate condition for the first time in 1975 in Old Lyme, Connecticut."

Did not know that...Thanks!

Did someone say Spanish Fly?

mtbr member
    Spanish Flu.
    West Nile Virus.
    Zika.
    German Measels.
    Norovirus.
    Lyme disease.

Ah yes. That's exactly why Trump, an expert in branding and demeaning nicknames, is using the term. Given his history, questioning his motives is anything but conspiracy theory. Ever the apologist, eh? And yet more intellectual dishonesty.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Ah yes. That's exactly why Trump, an expert in branding and demeaning nicknames, is using the term. Given his history, questioning his motives is anything but conspiracy theory. Ever the apologist, eh? And yet more intellectual dishonesty.
    Simple Historical Fact.
    Trump Derangement Syndrome notwithstanding.....

Now let us examine the History of using demeaning nicknames on this site........Hmmmmmm

Pipe Dreamer
    I think everyone in America should get a mask, bottle of hand sanitizer, and a roll of TP along with whatever stimulus.

mtbr member
    Somehow the idea of being stimulated by the government gives me the creeps....Adding masks and sanitizer just makes it more creepy.

Pipe Dreamer

mtbr member
    Simple Historical Fact.
    Trump Derangement Syndrome notwithstanding.....

Now let us examine the History of using demeaning nicknames on this site........Hmmmmmm

Stick to the subject for once.

Since when do politicians get to name diseases?
    When a politician crosses out one term and substitutes another, especially a politician with a slapdash history for accuracy, there is a political reason. Care to guess Trump's reason?

"When I was hearing the amount of people that died with the flu, I was shocked to hear it," Trump said while touring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's headquarters. "Over the last, long period of time when people have the flu, you have an average of 36,000 people dying. I've never heard those numbers, I would've been shocked. I would have said, 'Does anybody die of the flu?' I didn't know people died from the flu."

Yeah, he's really concerned about historical facts.

His grandfather, the gold rush bordello owner, died of the Spanish Flu, BTW.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    T. D. S.

The subject is “COVID-19 reimbursement from government”

mtbr member
    T. D. S.

The subject is “COVID-19 reimbursement from government”
    LMAO. Remember OZ, it's shuck first, then jive. TDS is your new one size fits all side-step when you're backed into a corner?

I was referring to the subject you posted about,
    but since apparently you do know what the subject of this thread is, stick to that. I'll have no reason to chime in.

Parting comment, the Spanish Flu didn't start in Spain or any Spanish colony. Might have started in the US. No one is certain. Apparently the Allied generals had a better PR machine than the officially neutral Spanish authorities.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Review the thread.
    You suggested sticking to the subject.
    Your corner.

mtbr member
    Review the thread.
    You suggested sticking to the subject.
    Your corner.
    I did. Doesn't take much to trigger your Trump apologist mode, does it? Sounds like a syndrome to me. I'll let you name it.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Read it again.
    Here, I’ll help you.
    Post #78.
    You brought up Trump.
    T. D. S.
    I did not mention him in the post you referenced.
    You got triggered without my even mentioning him.
    That corner just keeps getting tighter, LMAO.

mtbr member
    Read it again.
    Here, I’ll help you.
    Post #78.
    You brought up Trump.
    T. D. S.
    I did not mention him in the post you referenced.
    You got triggered without my even mentioning him.
    That corner just keeps getting tighter, LMAO.
    Spanish Flu.
    West Nile Virus.
    Zika.
    German Measels.
    Norovirus.
    Lyme disease.

Quoting your post is more instructional. Your references to nefarious motives and conspiracy theories has a Trumpian subtext and you know it, though you're almost certain to play dumb about that so you can go around shouting the TDS mantra. Your methods are nothing if not predictable.

If you truly valued intellectual honesty you would change your avatar to, say, Lindsay Graham. Although I hear McConnell is available, too.

Not cornered. You left the door wide open. Be honest. Remember how? LMAO.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Well now you see that Avatar thing is a long story. A man I’ve known and been friends with many years nicknamed me that long ago......He called me that so much I bought him a copy of Meditations one Christmas.

But that is another story.
    So I guess you’ll just have to get used to the Avatar thing.

Self cornered.
    I had no part in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The childish arguing and dick measuring is getting old..... stop acting like 2nd graders.

None of you is as smart as you think you are.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

The childish arguing and dick measuring is getting old..... stop acting like 2nd graders.

You put several assholes in a room and lock the door. What comes out after hours of arguing? Several assholes.

mtbr member
    Spanish Flu.
    West Nile Virus.
    Zika.
    German Measels.
    Norovirus.
    Lyme disease.

Quote Originally Posted by willawry'd View Post
    "Lyme disease was diagnosed as a separate condition for the first time in 1975 in Old Lyme, Connecticut."

Did not know that...Thanks!
    The first on the list, Spanish flu, didn’t come from Spain. As well German measles not from Germany. Google will likely shed some light, and the Spanish flu and covid 19 have some strange similarities, as far as how politicians/leaders handled it. Crazy.
    With lyme’s disease... there is an island, Plum island, in Long Island sound. Lymes Connecticut is the closest mainland. On plum island our military conducted “experiments”, that is true, but there is a crazy conspiracy that lymes was a manufactured disease that somehow made it to land. Then there’s the Montauk Monster, which is even crazier.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    The first on the list, Spanish flu, didn’t come from Spain. As well German measles not from Germany. Google will likely shed some light, and the Spanish flu and covid 19 have some strange similarities, as far as how politicians/leaders handled it. Crazy.
    With lyme’s disease... there is an island, Plum island, in Long Island sound. Lymes Connecticut is the closest mainland. On plum island our military conducted “experiments”, that is true, but there is a crazy conspiracy that lymes was a manufactured disease that somehow made it to land. Then there’s the Montauk Monster, which is even crazier.
    Yeah, the conspiracy theory about the origin of Lymes disease was debunked conclusively in an interesting way. Otzi the Ice Man had it 5000 years ago when he died in the Alps, suggesting an Old World origin.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member

But... but... but... he started it.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Yeah, the conspiracy theory about the origin of Lymes disease was debunked conclusively in an interesting way. Otzi the Ice Man had it 5000 years ago when he died in the Alps, suggesting an Old World origin.
    Very interesting. Science is cool
    Hey wait, on second thought. If I don’t want to believe this can I just call it a conspiracy? I mean it already has a cool nickname and everything. “Otzi the Iceman”. I’m running with this one
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    You put several assholes in a room and lock the door. What comes out after hours of arguing? Several assholes.
    I know you are but what am I
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sorry to derail this thread but what about reimbursements? Anyone getting any?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Looks like I will get 1 adult in my 2 adult household, and think I figured out yesterday my 17yo daughter gets nothing.
    Many will get, many will not. It likely won’t be nearly enough for nearly everyone. Percentage wise
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    If you don't file electronically, and/or you don't have routing information from your 2019/2018 tax return, you may want to go to the IRS website to enter that information. My understanding is that the IRS wants to send these out electronically Vs. by check in the mail.
    Also, AFAIK, the IRS won't call you, or email you. If someone does, it's probably a scam to get info.
    https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economi...u-need-to-know

There are people in business who are stepping up to the plate for their employees as well.

"Although the resort hotels of my company, Las Vegas Sands, are shuttered, I’m paying every one of our nearly 10,000 employees as though they were still working. We’re even working to make up for lost tips. I hope to do that right up until the time that we can reopen our businesses."
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/adelso...ness-that-can/

mtbr member

Hmmmmmm

You are an idiot, STFU and crawl back under your rock dumb ****.

Keep your ignorant opinions to yourself, your distance to reality has blinded you. Trump is the anti-christ.
    I guess it depends upon who is buying and who is selling on any given day.

That’s my question as well. And how do we know the government has our bank info. for a quick direct deposit? Why would or wouldn’t they have it?

mtbr member
    That’s my question as well. And how do we know the government has our bank info. for a quick direct deposit? Why would or wouldn’t they have it?
    Far as I can tell if you’v had a direct deposit refund, you’re in.
    Round and round we go

Pipe Dreamer
    Perhaps there is some way to find out this info, there might have even been a link posted somewhere in this very thread, the only thing you need to do is like, read stuff.

I know you are but what am I
    Jeez, one can’t even improv a joke around here without hurting ones [non directed finger pointed at] feelings.

I have no idea who the several assholes are, I lost track of this thread long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Perhaps there is some way to find out this info, there might have even been a link posted somewhere in this very thread, the only thing you need to do is like, read stuff.
    Read post #105 for clarification.

mtbr member
    E File.
    Gives them the info for direct deposit.
    Others who file will get a check in the mail.

Far as I can tell if you’v had a direct deposit refund, you’re in.
    I don’t recall ever going that route. I guess I’m in it for the long haul.

E File.
    Gives them the info.....
    Well, if that’s true I’m in. This is an emotional rollercoaster.

All fat, all the time.
    Jeez, one can’t even improv a joke around here without hurting ones [non directed finger pointed at] feelings.

I have no idea who the several assholes are, I lost track of this thread long ago.
    I figure at least 25% are A-holes.....

(82% of statistics are made up. Only 10% of people know that).

Pipe Dreamer
    Read post #105 for clarification.
    It's there, right in front of you, just need to put your readers on.

I forgot, you probably don't have any, so I'll help you out:

mtbr member
    To clarify, you must have given them the deposit info when you filed.
    Most people do that now.
    Others will get a check in the mail with a follow up letter to confirm receipt.

Most people do that now.
    So I’m screwed again. I don’t think I’ve ever had direct deposit. In recent years it’s been deposited on to a bank card.

Pipe Dreamer
    Most people do that now.
    I would prefer if it your last statement were true, I'd rather not give the gov my banking info.

This is directly off the page MSU originally linked above:

"The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."

GONE
    Nov 2008
    So I’m screwed again. I don’t think I’ve ever had direct deposit. In recent years it’s been deposited on to a bank card.
    Yep, you're SOL. Oh well, it happens.

It's there, right in front of you, just need to put your readers on.

I forgot, you probably don't have any, so I'll help you out:

This is new to me:
    COVID-19 reimbursement from Government-8c3ce3b7-1d11-4b8e-a1ec-38ec1d6080a1.jpg

Which will probably get hacked.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I would prefer if it your last statement were true, I'd rather not give the gov my banking info.

This is directly off the page MSU originally linked above:

"The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."
    Korn, you're nervous about sharing your banking info, I'd be happy to give them mine in your stead. Just forward the link or any mail you get to me and I will take care of the rest.

Same for you DJ. I'm here to help.

mtbr member
    Now, for real. Anyone worried about the government having your banking info, in this day and age are a bit paranoid. Literally any competent hacker/scammer can come across your bank account info with a little effort. Let alone the government.

Or do you guys all still only pay with cash? Never use a debit/credit card for online sales? Or paypal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Now, for real. Anyone worried about the government having your banking info, in this day and age are a bit paranoid. Literally any competent hacker/scammer can come across your bank account info with a little effort. Let alone the government.

Or do you guys all still only pay with cash? Never use a debit/credit card for online sales? Or paypal?
    Ammo is the new currency
    Round and round we go

"What's in your wallet?"
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    "What's in your wallet?"
    I am sorry, I just have hundred dollar bills. Sorry.

mtbr member
    "What's in your wallet?"
    I like Jennifer Garner

https://youtu.be/0DRbemGosZM
    Round and round we go

Oh for sure

But that did remind me of a quote I saw the other day. Can't locate it so I'll have to paraphrase:

"With all due apologies to Morgan Freeman, if we are to have a 2020 retrospective, the narrator MUST be Samuel L. Jackson. 'Cause it's gonna need a whole lotta 'motherf*ckers'."
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Oh for sure

But that did remind me of a quote I saw the other day. Can't locate it so I'll have to paraphrase:

"With all due apologies to Morgan Freeman, if we are to have a 2020 retrospective, the narrator MUST be Samuel L. Jackson. 'Cause it's gonna need a whole lotta 'motherf*ckers'."
    Oh yeah. When Samuel was a young boy his mom was so proud of him for learning how to say half a word. He learned how to say mother
    Round and round we go

banned
    Jul 2015
    I am sorry, I just have hundred dollar bills. Sorry.
    Me too. Not sorry.
    Ammo is the new currency
    And a whole lot of ammo. I’m double rich now!

No known cure
    I've never given them my banking info because after paying 33% a year in taxes, I still owe close to 3k
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ammo is the new currency
    Ammo and Toilet Paper and Purel

I got my COVID cash last night (lurge loot? blight bux?). Direct deposit.

I moved it into a quarantine account.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Where the hell is the money I was promised!? I hear T held it up so he could put his name on the check. Figures.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    Mine is here. Doesn't solve my pay cut, but I'm thankful.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Pipe Dreamer
    If you didn't receive an electronic refund last year and/or the IRS doesn't have your direct deposit info, go here: https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm978

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    $2000/m for 4 months for people affected by the virus and new news people that are earning less then $1000/m, a special top up monies for certain employees.

$500/wk is automatically paid with no checking until a further date waaaaaaaay further down the road. Probably a year, maybe 6 months maybe, I doubt it. Good for some people to pay da billzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RAKC
    Not looking forward to the repercussions of this but checks are real, 3400 in my account today (married and 2 kids).

But more checks, oh god no. Socialism and hyper inflation just to start.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Inflation would be just fine right since depressions are deflationary. I hope we pour money into rebuilding our country, but doubt anyone will be that smart. I also got the $3400 and have the wife and two kids like above.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Pour more money into rebuilding, would be nice wouldnt it after such a decline in the GDP, the economy, the jobs, the money spent. Would get lots back to work in rebuilding. We will see when it happens.

mtbr member
    Where the hell is the money I was promised!? I hear T held it up so he could put his name on the check. Figures.
    The money would be direct deposited if you did your part.
    Without any T name on it at all.
    He did his part.

mtbr member
    The Treasury Department has ordered President Trump’s name printed on stimulus checks the Internal Revenue Service is rushing to send to tens of millions of Americans, a process that could slow their delivery by a few days, senior IRS officials said.
    Round and round we go

Bikesexual
    Why bother with the name, most will be direct deposit. Lol

If I buy a bike with the check, is that helping the economy?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

If I buy a bike with the check, is that helping the economy?
    I think so, everyone else is just buying groceries and paying rent

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    People who are poor, have bad credit, paranoid people, illegals, skipping forced payments usually dont have bank accounts and want a check to cash at a predatory check cashing place.

Otherwise direct depost the money goes directly into your bank account.

poser Administrator
    People who are poor, have bad credit, paranoid people, illegals, skipping forced payments usually dont have bank accounts and want a check to cash at a predatory check cashing place.

Otherwise direct depost the money goes directly into your bank account.
    Or, crazy generalizations aside, people that don't file taxes because they earn less than the federal requirement to file which includes a lot of retired people, people that work for non-for-profits, etc. So weirdly specific generalizations are a great thing. Anything else you want to paint with your wide brush? My house could use a layer.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Bikesexual
    Or, crazy generalizations aside, people that don't file taxes because they earn less than the federal requirement to file which includes a lot of retired people, people that work for non-for-profits, etc. So weirdly specific generalizations are a great thing. Anything else you want to paint with your wide brush? My house could use a layer.
    I wish I could rep you here.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's why you gotta wait an extra 2 weeks for your check.

Otherwise you get your money much faster.

Of course there are other reasons why people wouldnt have bank accounts for direct deposit.

Besides you dont have cash to pay for paint buddy.

mtbr member
    ...people that don't file taxes because they earn less than the federal requirement to file which includes a lot of retired people, people that work for non-for-profits, etc.
    The minimum income to require you to file a tax return in 2019 for a single person was $12,200. That's not much, and if you didn't file because you didn't earn much, you probably are missing out on a refund.

The EITC allows such low income people to get money back, even if you paid no taxes. It would be a shame if there were many people missing out. Especially if it was because they were told they didn't HAVE TO file.

If your only source of income is Social Security, you don't qualify for EITC. But, I'd guess it's unusual to be on SS and not get SOME money outside that. If so, you do qualify. Don't leave money on the table.

If you work for a non-profit, the non-profit doesn't get taxed, but you do. Money paid above the threshold to non-profit employees is taxable.

You don't have to have filed a tax return to get the money from this COVID-19 payout to get direct deposit. You can go to the IRS website and give them your bank info.
    If you don't have any bank info, well, then you have to wait for the check.

Rides all the bikes!
    For those military folks, the $1200 hit on the 15th...

I got my deposit yesterday. I know the point is to "stimulate" the economy by getting you to buy things. But as of right now, I am not hurting, so I am saving it in case I do start hurting. And those who are hurting? Probably won't help to get a one time payment. I don't know specifics, but my ex wife lost most of her income, and I believe she is considered an independent contractor (1099) and so might not get much unemployment, if any (I haven't looked into it).

I'm supposed to start seeing furlough days starting next week, find out tomorrow. If so, I finally get to start on my van build...

It looking like they may be adding more to the pot for most.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coron...180331056.html

Pipe Dreamer
    DJ, did you see the link I posted above for those who didn't receive direct deposit?

My Lurge Loot is going as a down payment for a new oven
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you arent hurting financially, then invest the money in a good stock or bond, crude oil will jump back in time so play the long game on that. Drilling companies will get back into it sooner or later, its all about timing. Buy low sell high, and theres lots of low stocks. I havent shorted stocks...... yet. Maybe Disney, cruise lines.

DJ, did you see the link I posted above for those who didn't receive direct deposit?
    Yes, thanks but I decided to to wait it out for snail mail. So many reports of scan sites I’m afraid to give out my info on any of them. Yours seems to be the correct one but it may not be.

Pipe Dreamer
    Yes, thanks but I decided to to wait it out for snail mail. So many reports of scan sites I’m afraid to give out my info on any of them. Yours seems to be the correct one but it may not be.
    I thought I read in another thread you just moved, so how are they supposed to know that?

I wouldn't trust an official US government website either, lol!

I thought I read in another thread you just moved, so how are they supposed to know that?

I wouldn't trust an official US government website either, lol!
    I have a forwarding address with the post office that lasts a year.

And how are you 100% sure it’s a US government website? Lots of fake sites set up and hacking going on these days, I don’t trust it.

I don’t just make this shit up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/t...ronavirus.html

Well I should hope so.

Lakers return $4.6 million coronavirus relief loan

The Lakers -- the second-most valuable NBA team with a $4.4 billion valuation, according to Forbes -- is the latest big-name entity to obtain and subsequently return money touted as a Covid-19 relief measure for small businesses.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    More expense later on, and good publicity for the team right now.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I finally decided what to do with my stimulus money. I just went down to Tractor Supply© and bought a bunch of baby peeps.

Got my money for nothing and my chicks for free.

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

That’s a lot of peeps. You plan on starting a farm?

A waste of time it is is
    Cracking idea Net. Perfect but ya'll gotta install microwave ovens.

Hmm, a certain sense of deja vu one has

Pipe Dreamer
    Soon to have free eggs if that's real. I'd totally be into it if it was allowed in my hood.

Wanna ride bikes?
    "money for nothin", you're going to pay tax on it in 2021 or is it 2022? Long after you forgot about it.

That many chicks I'm guessing this is not serious unless you built a pen and hen house?

I'd love to have my own chickens/eggs and enough land to support that. While I'm at it a nice 180 acre lot with some super technical singletrack compliments a small egg factory nicely IMO.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Well now you see that Avatar thing is a long story. A man I’ve known and been friends with many years nicknamed me that long ago......He called me that so much I bought him a copy of Meditations one Christmas.

But that is another story.
    So I guess you’ll just have to get used to the Avatar thing.

Self cornered.
    I had no part in it.
    So, maybe I missed it, but just who the hell is the soldier in your avatar. Sure as hell ain't you.
    Just call me Ray

Rabid Lana Fan
    Sorry to disappoint.

Strictly a joke post just so I could say "Got my money for nothing and my chicks for free".

Context for the youngsters...

A waste of time it is is
    They should have got it, it was posted in one of the other covid threads a couple of days ago, or maybe yesterday. Even DJ saw it without skimming.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    They should have got it, it was posted in one of the other covid threads a couple of days ago, or maybe yesterday. Even DJ saw it without skimming.
    I missed (skimmed) it.

Rabid Lana Fan
    While we're on Dire Straits, this one is probably my favorite from them.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I missed (skimmed) it.
    My memory which is like a sponge, full of holes, had you replying in it. At least we have validated each others sense of humour.

All fat, all the time.
    Heavy fuel is one of my DS favorites.
    Crank it loud!

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    There’s not much that gets by me Emu. Even though some may think I’m jumping from thread to thread like a mad man only reading the latest two or three posts, hell, come to think of it, they may be right.

Net, good tune. I don’t think there’s a song they’ve done I don’t like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Heavy fuel is one of my DS favorites.
    Crank it loud!

Good call, love that one.

I finally got my stimulus check in the mail today.

I’m....

mtbr member
    Good call, love that one.
    Brothers in Arms is a truly amazing song.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I finally got my stimulus check in the mail today.

I’m....

How many margaritas tonight?
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    How many margaritas tonight?

🤔......

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    For sure, I love all their stuff.

Pipe Dreamer
    Oh shit, I hope that song doesn't get stuck in my head!!!

Oh, it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    This.

And Telegraph Road.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    Oh, it will.
    Noooo...

Lol

mtbr member
    If you arent hurting financially, then invest the money in a good stock or bond, crude oil will jump back in time so play the long game on that. Drilling companies will get back into it sooner or later, its all about timing. Buy low sell high, and theres lots of low stocks. I havent shorted stocks...... yet. Maybe Disney, cruise lines.
    There are a lot of drilling companies that won't get back into it because they'll be gone. Many of them were far too leveraged. It you can find some without too much debt, then that might be a good play.

Round number two possibly. Say it ain’t so.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/you-m...EY7CE3YTwlSLis

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I know a few people working under the table in construction and getting government money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    A lot of Americans don't get money.

well mannered lout
    A lot of Americans don't get money.
    Do you mean they don't "understand money" or they aren't getting stimulus checks?
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    They don't get stimulus checks