county is not taking plastic recycling, what does OC say i should do?- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Apr 2010

county is not taking plastic recycling, what does OC say i should do?

So the county is not taking plastic recycling due to having to sort it.
    What are the options for it? I got a few months worth sitting in my carport.
    Landfill tells me they don't know when they will take it and just throw it away.

So the question, do you just chuck it and start over?
    save it for how ever many more months?
    chuck it and keep throwing it away, and start recycling again when the crazyness is over?

curious

mtbr member
    Not a coincidence that China stops taking recycling, then all of a sudden no more collecting in most of US.
    It was never about the planet, just money
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Not a coincidence that China stops taking recycling, then all of a sudden no more collecting in most of US.
    It was never about the planet, just money
    Unfortunately money is involved with pretty much everything we do. Those employees don't work for free and equipment/energy costs money.

What I'm surprised about is why the richest country on Earth can't figure out how to recycle its own trash rather than shipping it over seas.

I recycle everything possible but it's picked up every two weeks. I've been skeptical if it actually gets recycled from there. So it might just end up in the same place if you decide to just throw away all of the recycling you've saved up for months.

Ideally just buy less stuff or avoid buying anything with plastic packaging. I have some moral issued knowing that single use piece of plastic will literally out live me by a few hundred years. Multiply that by how many single use plastic items used on a weekly basis and the entire population doing the same and those numbers get depressing.

Duck Fonald
    I have almost the same problem. I live out in the sticks and don't have garbage/recycling pickup. I usually take what little garbage I have to work, or put it in the Dumpster® at the apartments near me (same owner). So I have a bunch of stuff left over to recycle that has no home.

Certain cans & bottles & plastic I can get $$ for, and I've heard a recycling center has opened back up that will give me $$ for it, but what do I do with the other recyclable bits? I may have a pickup service started, but what do they do with it? Like you say, do they just put it in the landfill because they have nowhere to actually have it recycled?

I eagerly await answers from the hive collective that is the OC.

county is not taking plastic recycling, what does OC say i should do?-landfill.jpg
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

mtbr member
    The vast majority of the plastic you recycle, even when recycling centers are taking it, winds up in the landfill anyway, or worse, sent to other countries where it is often burned in open pits. For the most part, plastic recycling is a scam, with the concept being promoted by, wait for it.....plastics manufacturers. There's a NOVA coming out on this exact topic. You're gonna be pissed.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    I live in the sticks as well. my garbage/recycling does not take glass. It is republic services. last Monday the same truck that picks up the garbage picked up the recycling. what is the point? what pisses me off is we pay extra for the recycling and get fined if there are unrecycleable items in the recycle bin. recycling is a scam
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.