mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cops: Above the law?

I think not.
    Driving home I stop at a light. Cop pulls up to the left of me onto a painted median. Then he nonchalantly runs the red light, half way through he flashes his lights and turns it off. Stops at the next light in the left turn lane. Then does a left turn on a red light.

By the time I get up to the light where he turned, I can see him halfway down the block. He was going slow so it was not an emergency.

That, ladies and gentlemen is why I hate the boys in blue. The biggest gang in Minneapolis next to the thugs/drug dealers.

Carry on. Just had to vent.

PS. It's going to rain all Memorial weekend. WTF. 3 days off and no dirt riding.

mtbr member
    Maybe he was casin' a perp.

Live 2 Ride
    Perhaps he was in route to a call.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Retired User
    Too bad RIS was banned last year, or this thread would be rich. Golly I miss that guy, he was my buddy

mtbr member
    I avoid cops at all costs. Too many of them dont care about your rights. You can be completely in the right, and legal, and still catch a baton to the face.

Ride More, Work Less
    I've known a few cops. They make tremendous sacrifices and put their lives on the line everyday. I can say I am more than happy to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    About a month back, some rowdy kids (about 10+ teens) we fighting in the street in front of my house ( I live in a bad-ish neighborhood). Neighbors called the cops, they showed up and just sat in their car watching. It wasn't until a neighbor lady yelled at the cops to do something did they get out and herd the kids towards the library. Then they left. A while later the kids went right on fighting.

RIS got banned? That was an "interesting" guy. I miss his motorcycle and cop threads. :s

mtbr member
    I don't mind cops so much, it is just their driving that pisses me off. How can they have the authority to drive 10 over the limit without lights on, nor use their turn signals....Yet I am at the mercy of their hyporitical policing if I were to roll stop signs or not signal lane changes.
    Cops are good, their driving sucks.

banned
    Jun 2007
    As long as it's not me they're pulling - I don't care.
    Couldn't pay me enough to deal with the everyday shiite our area troopers endure.

My rant is with the local volunteer firefiighters that add a flashing blue light - no siren, and now believe it their right to drive 60 in a 25.. arrrrggh!

Titanium junkie
    I am a supporter of Law Enforcement, have lot's of friends who are cop's, and
    my best friend is a retired cop. Just my observation, but if you screw up at work,
    most would get fired, if you have a bad day as a cop, you could be dead.
    Remember folks, they have to deal with people all day that most of us wouldn't
    want to get near, or have to deal with, and they are human also.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Chubby Chaser
    What you don't know is that they are going to an urgent call. I won't get too into detail with it but lets just say an "emergency" call is when they do the lights and sirens. There are calls that are urgent but is not life or death so they still need to get there as quickly as possible..... hence that type of driving.

IMO law enforcement is very misunderstood by the public, and IMO they should probably make it mandatory to teach criminal law and police tactics in high school. I'm sick of hearing people saying, "cops are always speeding, they're setting a bad example." or "cops are trigger happy and always shoot to kill, they should've shot that guy in the arm when he was charging at them with a knife."

My favorite is the UC Davis incident where students were crying about "excessive force" after being OC'ed when they were passively resisting and obstructing the police. If the public was more educated they would know that was perfectly acceptable and nowhere NEAR being "excessive" for the circumstances.

People hate on cops because they don't understand why they do what they do. That's why IMO that's a more noble profession than say a firefighter. Depending on what city they work in, they seriously put their lives on the line EVERYDAY, protecting the very people who HATES their guts. Be a little more appreciative people.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    PS. It's going to rain all Memorial weekend. WTF. 3 days off and no dirt riding.
    At first I thought this thread was about cops but I can see what you are rally venting about. In So Cal, it's gonna cool down into the 70s for the weekend. Perfect riding weather! But I won't be riding this weekend. Gonna go hang out with family in he desert and watch the little cousins play together.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I think not.
    Driving home I stop at a light. Cop pulls up to the left of me onto a painted median. Then he nonchalantly runs the red light, half way through he flashes his lights and turns it off. Stops at the next light in the left turn lane. Then does a left turn on a red light.

By the time I get up to the light where he turned, I can see him halfway down the block. He was going slow so it was not an emergency.

That, ladies and gentlemen is why I hate the boys in blue. The biggest gang in Minneapolis next to the thugs/drug dealers.

Carry on. Just had to vent.

Way to vent about something when you probably didn't have any of the facts. Chances are, like others said, it was not a priority call but still something that required him to get there in a timely manner. You might hate them, who cares, there's probably reasons that I couldn't give a crap about, but the fact is, like them or not, society needs them. Funny thing is, people like you want to bash cops and talk garbage, but you're the first one calling and kissing their ass when you need them. I've seen it a hundred times so you can say that it's not true, but in my experience, the people that complain and trash talk the most are the biggest ass kissers of them all when face to face with "the boys in blue".
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I listen to the police scanner a lot. He's going thru the lights because he is responding to a priority call. Say somebody at a bank pressed the hold up panic button. When you saw him slow down the dispatcher could have told him that it was a false alarm. I live in a high crime area and love listening to the scanner. It's better than anything on TV.

What gets me are firefighters responding to call on a Sunday night at 2am. There is NO traffic there is no reason to roll code 3 with the sirens on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Way to vent about something when you probably didn't have any of the facts. Chances are, like others said, it was not a priority call but still something that required him to get there in a timely manner. You might hate them, who cares, there's probably reasons that I couldn't give a crap about, but the fact is, like them or not, society needs them. Funny thing is, people like you want to bash cops and talk garbage, but you're the first one calling and kissing their ass when you need them. I've seen it a hundred times so you can say that it's not true, but in my experience, the people that complain and trash talk the most are the biggest ass kissers of them all when face to face with "the boys in blue".
    Sshhhhh. Calm down. You wana be my friend?
    I did have the facts. I asked the magic 8 ball when I got home "Was it a call he needed to get to?" and it said "No way". So there's that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
    What you don't know is that they are going to an urgent call. I won't get too into detail with it but lets just say an "emergency" call is when they do the lights and sirens. There are calls that are urgent but is not life or death so they still need to get there as quickly as possible..... hence that type of driving.

IMO law enforcement is very misunderstood by the public, and IMO they should probably make it mandatory to teach criminal law and police tactics in high school. I'm sick of hearing people saying, "cops are always speeding, they're setting a bad example." or "cops are trigger happy and always shoot to kill, they should've shot that guy in the arm when he was charging at them with a knife."

My favorite is the UC Davis incident where students were crying about "excessive force" after being OC'ed when they were passively resisting and obstructing the police. If the public was more educated they would know that was perfectly acceptable and nowhere NEAR being "excessive" for the circumstances.

People hate on cops because they don't understand why they do what they do. That's why IMO that's a more noble profession than say a firefighter. Depending on what city they work in, they seriously put their lives on the line EVERYDAY, protecting the very people who HATES their guts. Be a little more appreciative people.
    I don't hate cops. I just hate the guy behind the badge. Big difference. One bad apple ruins the bunch. Just like you have one biker riding muddy trails and everyone thinks all bikers are ass holes who don't deserve trail access.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't call the cops, and I don't interact with cops. When they're doing their cop thing, I just ignore them. I have a problem with calling every dude with a badge a "hero".

Sweep the leg!
    I have a couple of cops as friends and a retired cop as a friend. They admit to having a different persona on the job. Some might call them dicks and be right, but off duty they're fine. Especially on the bike.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I'm sure you're just jealous because you don't have the sack to do the job they do.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I have a couple of cops as friends and a retired cop as a friend. They admit to having a different persona on the job. Some might call them dicks and be right, but off duty they're fine. Especially on the bike.
    i have cop friends who tell me the same thing. i avoid their jurisdictions when they are at work for that reason
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    I'm sure you're just jealous because you don't have the sack to do the job they do.
    I guess you're right. I went to the local Home Depot the other day looking for sacks. Any kind of sack that would allow me to do their job. Sadly all I could find were burlap sacks. They don't work too well as they have holes. THEY HAVE HOLES! Why 'o why does a sack have to have holes. I don't want a net, I want a sack.

So stormed out of the Home Depot and went riding. After a couple miles I said to my self "self, you don't need a sack, you have a pillow case at home". Yes, I have several pillow cases that are stained from sweating at night due to the hot spring we've been having. They might just work for the job.

Thanks for pointing me the right way.

meow meow
    i prefer not to interact with them. dont really understand all that they do so its easier just to leave em alone.

mtbr member
    haha...pvssy.

Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

REALLY?
    Your guilty if they want you to be guilty, I got hemmed up once for sitting in a park next to some beer drinkers, well, two cops on MTB's roll up, this lady sitting 6 feet away with a 40oz'er slides the beer over towards me (we were sitting on a tile bench - thats how the beer got slid over to me). The cop saw her do this. He gets over to us, ask me for my I.D. and giving me his little third degree speech, all the while getting his ticket book out, I said "What the are you doing", he said "writing you a ticket", I said "why", he said "for the beer"..., I said "it aint mine, you saw that it aint mine", he then says "its sitting next to you, so, its your beer" - needless to say I told him "he was a piece of sh*t, and with out that gun and badge I'll take you out" - signed my ticket and went on my way.

IF THEY WANT YOU TO BE GUILTY - YOU ARE GUILTY

I also see cops on cell phones all the time while driving - with no respect to cell phone laws.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 05-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    and with out that gun and badge I'll take you out" -
    HAHAHAHA!!!! That was one of my favorite bullsht lines I heard all the time. Funny thing is, I'd see the same scumball on the street days later when I was off duty, no gun, no badge...guess what, soon as I made eye contact with said scumwad, they'd turn tail and go away...100% of the time.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

AZ
    banned
    Change of direction. How many people here have been featured in an episode of "COPS" ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i have cop friends who tell me the same thing. i avoid their jurisdictions when they are at work for that reason
    no offense but those sound like the worst kind of cops. big and mighty when the holster is on.

ive met some good cops (one even let me keep my bud) but ive met more power tripping a-holes, unfortunately.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Change of direction. How many people here have been featured in an episode of "COPS" ?
    I didn't make Cops, but I made homeland security's list.

I was visiting my brother in NYC, and we decided to walk across the George Washington Bridge using the pedestrian path. As we hit the foot of the bridge, we noticed a huge sign that said no photography but thought that was more for the cars to avoid distraction.

As we walked across the bridge, we arrived at the NJ/NY state line. We pulled out a camera. After a few touristy photos, we turned back to the city. Within a few minutes, 7 ports authority police cars stopped on the bridge to question us. The cars blocked the majority of the upper deck lane into NJ at rush hour, and created a traffic disaster. Our items were searched, and the camera card was reviewed.

I politely asked what all the fuss was about while my driver's license number was being logged into the homeland security database. The lead officer reported that someone called 911 from the bridge and reported photography (honestly). We explained that we thought that the signs pertained to the motorists who needed to avoid distraction. He said no and went on to explain there were concerns with people taking photographic evidence of the bridge superstructure. They were concerned that a terrorist could compromise the bridge by studying the photographs. In my best non-smart-aXX tone, I replied that if I wanted a photo of the bridge, I would stop by any China town dealer for the photo or the engineering blue prints for the bridge. He sort of smiled and responded that he was just doing his job.

In the end, we didn't get a citation for "unlawful photography" and we were set free.

High Desert MTBer
    Cops can be good and bad. I have seen both. Up too close at times. As someone said, if they want you they are gonna get you, and if you are innocent but get caught in the fallout, you are likely to get screwed. It has happened to me and caused me a LOT of problems in my life. I take it as a lesson learned, that cops can be good and bad... just like most of us...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I didn't make Cops, but I made homeland security's list.
    *snip*
    In the end, we didn't get a citation for "unlawful photography" and we were set free.
    I wonder if that bridge is on Google Map

I think the people who comes up with these rules watches too many spy movies. If I wanted to blow up a bridge (which I don't) by studying pictures, I'd search it on Google.

Ride More, Work Less
    ^^^
    This was ~2002, so Google wasn't quite as useful for photos, but now:

george washington bridge - Google Search

And the "no photography" policy actually made Wikipedia:
    George Washington Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    ^^^
    This was ~2002, so Google wasn't quite as useful for photos, but now:

And the "no photography" policy actually made Wikipedia:
    George Washington Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And look what it found
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Titanium junkie
    Far as I am concerned, if you don't put yourself in a situation
    where you might run in to a cop, then you need not worry about
    the "Bad" cop. As stated, if you had a job where every stop might be your last...
    You're a Tailgunner

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Is that all it takes? Sack? The bitter truth is most are too smart to get a job as a cop. An IQ of 125 is too high.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

And with 104 as the average, that would mean that the IQ of the low scores would be slightly above mild mental retardation.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Is that all it takes? Sack? The bitter truth is most are too smart to get a job as a cop. An IQ of 125 is too high.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

And with 104 as the average, that would mean that the IQ of the low scores would be slightly above mild mental retardation.

Equal Opportunity Employment quotas results in this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Equal Opportunity Employment quotas results in this.

Another sad truth is that most professions are like this. The best and brightest aren't hired because of this.

Suckin wind like a boss
    yeah, god forbid the dumb ones get their feelings hurt because they are too stupid. but hey, go ahead and give em a badge and gun!

EEOC is one of this nations greatest failures.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Far as I am concerned, if you don't put yourself in a situation
    where you might run in to a cop, then you need not worry about
    the "Bad" cop. As stated, if you had a job where every stop might be your last...
    So, you're saying we should all stay home and not interact with the world? What a tiresome existence that would be! Each to their own, Loudviking, you can stay in, but personally i'll take my chances even tho there's a good chance that sh*t will happen nonetheless...
    It's all Here. Now.

Titanium junkie
    No, what I am saying is I enjoy life and all it offers without having
    to do something stupid and get a cops attention, it's called being a responsible adult.
    What other people do is up to them, just don't ***** about the experience of the bad cop
    when you put yourself there in the first place. Life is full of choices, it is up
    to us to decide, and face whatever consequences.
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    to do something stupid and get a cops attention, it's called being a responsible adult.
    What other people do is up to them, just don't ***** about the experience of the bad cop
    when you put yourself there in the first place. Life is full of choices, it is up
    Yup. Like I said, I don't interact with cops, don't talk to them, I don't act like a d00chbag, I drive within the law, I ride within the law, I just keep to myself and let the world go by. I just want to love my family, work, and ride. I can do all that and live freely without cops being involved.

I'm sorry, but if you find yourself with five cops piled on you with a knee in your back, somehow you found yourself there. Even if you are in the right (like a peaceful protest) you are there because you put yourself there. It doesn't make it right for cops to act like d-bags, but I look at cops the way I look at certain dogs. They may be nice, but I choose not to stick my hand out to their mouth.

mtbr member
    Living in a police state is great when you are the police.

Disclaimer: The above is meant to be tongue in cheek. I don't actually think we live in a police state. I love the police.

Suburban Redneck
    So..........without getting into my personal feelings on the matter (some good, some bad, whatever) who here has been profiled/watched? As a blue-collar dirtbag I can tell you that IMO I have been. Quite amusing, really. Even been mouthed-off at by an officer for politely stopping to let him walk past ("You got a problem? Watch where you're going!") only to have him follow me back to my place of employment-complete with hitting the lights to blow a red. I know I did nothing wrong. Agree or disagree with laws I follow them, if only to avoid situations. Apparently, my "skinhead appearance" in culturally diverse suburbia was enough to warrant a second look and possibly a run of my tags. Whatever. I've also found that they generally don't like when you question them questioning you. Sobriety checkpoints are fun for that.

On the other hand, I've had more than a few local Fifes stop me in stores or what have you to ask me what lift/tires I was running on my truck, mention they recognized me from the range, talk CB or Ham radio stuff. I've had good encounters with old, not so good with young, and vice-versy. In the end I never had any real worry because I know I wasn't breaking any laws (There is no *****baggery law in PA. Yet.) As mentioned elsewhere, I respect the job. Whether or not I respect the individual behind the badge is up to them.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman12 View Post
    ............. I respect the job. Whether or not I respect the individual behind the badge is up to them.
    +1

I too respect profession, it's the ****** behind the badge I despise.

Damn that hurt
    ********s in every walk of life. This looks like a cop friendly place... cool.
    It was fun while it lasted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you find yourself with five cops piled on you with a knee in your back, somehow you found yourself there. Even if you are in the right (like a peaceful protest) you are there because you put yourself there. It doesn't make it right for cops to act like d-bags, but I look at cops the way I look at certain dogs. They may be nice, but I choose not to stick my hand out to their mouth.

i used to think this way, until i had a minor run-in with the police. it wasnt five cops piled on, but it was excessive. i was talking with a friend in a parked vehicle. wasnt parked illegally. nothing wrong with the vehicle. no loud music or talking. nothing. i didnt put myself in the cops way--they went out of their way to hassle me. later found out somebody called the police and said they thought we were dealing drugs. which makes their approaching me understandable, but i sure didnt do anything to warrant their attention, much less the hostility it came with.

so when the cops pile on you, as you say, it might usually be your fault. but just like its naive to think all cops are heroes or jerks, its naive to think its always the case that the person getting unfriendly attention from the police has somehow put his or herself there.

you dont think its ever happened that an innocent person was unlucky enough to get hassled by the police? i mean innocent as in: didnt do anything to warrant the attention.

i dont hate all cops, although ive generally become more wary of them now. and yes ive had and still have friends that are cops.

i think cops are normal people. problem is, you give a normal person the kind of authority that is given to law enforcement officers, and youre bound to have problems. the stress of dealing with criminals and risking their lives cant help, either.

i cant think of a better way to have things, but our system of law enforcement stinks.

mtbr member

its probably true that theres a lot of justification for the things that cops do that the public misunderstands. and theres probably a lot of unwarranted hatred for the police. that said, i cant help but think that from time to time, there are police officers who abuse their power. and if so, this is a legitimate problem.

also, i dont understand the comment about uc davis. what constitutes acceptable and excessive? arent those things defined by public consensus? not that i have a dog in that fight, but i dont see how the public learning more about police procedure would change whether the pepper spray was excessive or not. that is, even if it was procedurally correct, it may be that the protocol was improper. or not, i dont know. but i get the feeling that the complaint wasnt that the police didnt follow protocol.

High Desert MTBer
    Sometimes you do not have to do something stupid to get a cops' attention. That is something that I am sure many people will agree with from first hand knowledge. I guess you have just been lucky. If you do have such an experience where the D'bag behind the badge rains on your parade for no reason other than he takes a dislike to you, then come back and tell me how you feel. I too like to have as little interaction with LEOs as possible, and I am what I like to think of as a responsible adult of advancing years. What I am saying is that this is an unrealistic expectation of yours.
    It's all Here. Now.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Too bad RIS was banned last year, or this thread would be rich. Golly I miss that guy, he was my buddy
    Sorry to slightly derail this thread, but what got RIS banned? I guess I never noticed he wasn't around here lately. He sure was a nosebleed, wasn't he? Was it a specific post, or just his overall general self-righteous dickness?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Damn that hurt
    Keep this in mind... just because you see a video on the news or on You Tube doesn't mean you've seen the whole picture. At UC Davis, the protesters had formed a large circle around the cops. News and You Tube only showed a small part of the group cops decided to concemtrate on. Cops had told the protesters to break it up several times and were told they would be sprayed. Excessive would have been multiple cops spraying all the protesters not just one small portion of the group. One cop was designated to spray after discussing the options. The cops had video too but it won't be put on You Tube and because there are ALWAYS lawsuits you're not likely to see it on the news.

mtbr member
    Dang lawyers.
    Round and round we go

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Sorry to slightly derail this thread, but what got RIS banned? I guess I never noticed he wasn't around here lately. He sure was a nosebleed, wasn't he? Was it a specific post, or just his overall general self-righteous dickness?

Check your P.M.s.

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    its probably true that theres a lot of justification for the things that cops do that the public misunderstands. and theres probably a lot of unwarranted hatred for the police. that said, i cant help but think that from time to time, there are police officers who abuse their power. and if so, this is a legitimate problem.

also, i dont understand the comment about uc davis. what constitutes acceptable and excessive? arent those things defined by public consensus? not that i have a dog in that fight, but i dont see how the public learning more about police procedure would change whether the pepper spray was excessive or not. that is, even if it was procedurally correct, it may be that the protocol was improper. or not, i dont know. but i get the feeling that the complaint wasnt that the police didnt follow protocol.
    About the UC Davis incident, assuming you know about what happened (the full length video has been out for a while now). The students were passively resisting which meant they weren't using any physical force to prevent the police from leaving with the arrestees, but they just sat there with their arms interlocked.

As you can see in the video the police gave MULTIPLE verbal warnings and was very specific that OC spray would be used if they didn't comply. I even saw a part where one of the officers tried to pull one of the students away to break the interlocking of their arms. That didn't work.......

So....... at that point what do you expect the police to do?? Give in to their demands and let all the arrestees free?

Or...... stand there and do nothing until the students get tired and decide to stop protesting?

OC spray is the LEAST lethal type of force the police could have used. Depending on the department, technically they didn't even have to give a verbal warning before using it. If the police beat the students with their batons or tazed them, that could be said to be "excessive force". They didn't, they were patient and used it as a last resort.

In my opinion the police did what they had to, and the amount of force was so minimal those little whiney hippies really got what they deserved. The problem with people nowadays is that aside from the sense of self-entitlement they also feel that they can yank on a dog's tail and not get bitten.

mtbr member
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I can obey every traffic law enroute to a call only to receive a complaint it took to long to get to their house to resolve whatever baby-momma drama has flared up that day. Or I avoid that complaint while creating another because I got to the call in a quicker yet safe manner which allowed me to extinguish said baby-momma drama and return to service to handle the next call.

Are there crappy cops? Yes. Do I work with some? Hell yes. But do most value their employment so as not to act like a d-bag? Yep. Most likely that guy was just heading to a call that fell somewhere between "routine" and "emergency" and needed to get there before it got to "emergency" status.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    no offense but those sound like the worst kind of cops. big and mighty when the holster is on.

ive met some good cops (one even let me keep my bud) but ive met more power tripping a-holes, unfortunately.
    I am gonna disagree but I know the point you were trying to make and it makes sense. I know I have a work and a home persona but it is more so I don't bring the job home and make life miserable for my wife. It's not so much big and mighty when I am geared up its more just work mode. Do what I gotta do to get home with no more holes than I went to work with. At home, I'm pretty much polar opposite, more quiet and overall just a relaxed guy. It helps to balance it out for your mental health or one will never make it to retirement.

That said, I mentioned I knew what you were thinking, and with that idea I agree. There is always that "one" who needs to the uniform to complete themselves. Most I've seen though can't split between "at work" and "at home" until they're called on it and then you see their true colors.

mtbr member
    The problem with people nowadays is that aside from the sense of self-entitlement they also feel that they can yank on a dog's tail and not get bitten.
    "Don't taze me, bro!!!" (One of my favorite police-protestor videos ever).

I agree with most here -- I respect and generally admire the person who will take a job as a cop, until proven otherwise by individuals. Like any profession, from doctors to lawyers to teachers to cashiers, I think most of the people there are trying to do the right thing, and unfortunately, a certain percentage of them not there for the 'right' reasons create a bad image for the rest.

I don't do anything that warrants any police attention, so my interactions have been generally positive. In response to an earlier post about high school education re criminal justice, I will say that the worst interaction I've had with a police officer came on a ride-along in high school. The cop was about 5'5" and 140# soaking wet, and seemed hell-bent on proving to me that he was the toughest dude around. It was 5 hours of him driving 100 mph on the interstate for no reason ("betcha never been this fast before ..."), criticizing people as we drove around, making fun of hispanics ("if I had a reason, I bet that **** has a dozen lbs of weed in his car") and telling me stories about all the people he had allegedly beaten up making arrests. So that educational experience didn't help my perception too much!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's not the cops themselves but the petty little laws they have to enforce to generate revenue and protect the stupid from themselves so hopefully no body gets sued. You know, if everything is illegal then crimes can't possibly happen and everyone will be safe.

Sweep the leg!
    While it won't get an Oscar for anything, "The Experiment" is a movie about...

"26 men are chosen to participate in the roles of guards and prisoners in a psychological study that ultimately spirals out of control. "

While they're not Cops, some guys become foreman and the "power" goes to their head. What I saw in the army was worse. Any idiot can get promoted but to be a leader of men and to have true power over others takes a special type of person. Especially when the person in power has a weapon.

My comment earlier about how the cops I know change personalities when in uniform has more to do with their BS meter. A friend who was a sheriff's deputy had to work a few years in the county jail before being put on patrol duty. The department policy is for new deputies to work in the jail for a while to develop a familiarity with the types of people brought in for various charges. They get to hear all the stories about what got them arrested and develop an understanding of the psychology. That way when they meet individuals on a call they know better how to listen and make decisions. That's what he told me anyway. Plus they don't carry a firearm in the jail so they learn non-lethal options.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Chubby Chaser

"26 men are chosen to participate in the roles of guards and prisoners in a psychological study that ultimately spirals out of control. "

While they're not Cops, some guys become foreman and the "power" goes to their head. What I saw in the army was worse. Any idiot can get promoted but to be a leader of men and to have true power over others takes a special type of person. Especially when the person in power has a weapon.

My comment earlier about how the cops I know change personalities when in uniform has more to do with their BS meter. A friend who was a sheriff's deputy had to work a few years in the county jail before being put on patrol duty. The department policy is for new deputies to work in the jail for a while to develop a familiarity with the types of people brought in for various charges. They get to hear all the stories about what got them arrested and develop an understanding of the psychology. That way when they meet individuals on a call they know better how to listen and make decisions. That's what he told me anyway. Plus they don't carry a firearm in the jail so they learn non-lethal options.
    Quite the contrary actually. Sheriff deputies are notorious for their lack of people skills in dealing with the public because of the fact that they spent years dealing with sh*theads in the jails.

LEO's are trained from the academy that "everybody can POTENTIALLY be a threat." So when they tell you to take your hands out of your pockets when they're talking to you, and then you stick your hands back in your pockets a minute later and they raise their voice to tell you to take them back out..... they're not on a "power trip", you're making them wonder if you have a weapon in your pocket that you can hurt/kill them with.

Axe
    Custom User Title

There is a non-Hollywood account of the Stanford prison experiment - that is even more interesting. Prof. Zimbardo is one cool guy.

Suckin wind like a boss
    as someone who has run afoul of the law more than enough times, i can safely say that i have run into more than my fair share of cops, both good and bad ones. the way i have always been able to tell the good ones from the bad, are when i got busted for whatever it was i happened to be doing, and didnt act like an assclown to the cop- the good cops usually respected the fact that i was respecting their position, and didnt treat me with exceptional d-baggery. the bad cops will always treat you like charles manson even if they just pulled you over for having a burnt-out taillight no matter how cool you are with them.

back in my heavy drinking days i made more than enough scenes in the booking room, only to have idiot drunk remorse in the morning...and i would go out of my way to get ahold of the poor guy that got an earful the night before. almost without fail, they would accept my humble apologies- and it saved me all kinds of grief the next time they arrested me lol.

yeah, this was in suburbia and not the big city... but in general i have found the best way to maximize your chances to not be treated shitty by the cop, is dont start out by treating him like a dick. give him the benefit of the doubt because he could very well be a decent dude who just happens to have a shitty job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    some guys become foreman and the "power" goes to their head. What I saw in the army was worse. Any idiot can get promoted but to be a leader of men and to have true power over others takes a special type of person. Especially when the person in power has a weapon..
    My thoughts exactly.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You can't discredit and entire profession because you see one or two of them do something wrong. I've had several run ins with cops and most of them were positive. Boston cops arrested the pricks who broke into my car and they also arrested my a$$hole, wife beating neighbor.

I see police cruising around town as keeping the peace. More cops hanging around = less crime. If a stronger police presence means a few cops running some red lights, its fine by me. It seems everyone hates cops until one helps you out. I know some cops in my neighborhood and I'm happy their here and respect them.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Is not amused
    Thoughts on this?

This is a raw video. The highlights of this video sections can be found here:
    - 3:28 Initial interaction
    - 6:31 Arrest
    - 7:59 Final Interaction

On Memorial Day Weekend, motorcycle rider Chris Moore was arrested by Dallas Deputy Sheriff James Westbrook. The arrest was part of crackdown against sport bike riders. Moore says Westbrook made up a charge in order to gain access to the video camera mounted on his helmet.

Motorcyclist says Dallas crackdown went too far | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Sheriff launches internal affairs investigation in response to biker arrest | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fU-tIP6eqV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

uh oh
    Not above the law, rather, just sick of all the idiots. I’m not a cop, but I, too, am sick of all the idiots out there trying to take short cuts by way of trying to screw others over (theft, carjacking, driving like d¡ckheads, etc.). Started after I had kids. There are bad cops though, don’t get me wrong. Leaving things to a particular political party though, would mean private security companies who operate much higher than the law—so remember that this November when you vote. Let’s not turn this country back into a privatized corporation where everyone has a fuc&#107;ing dollar sign on their head.

Do stupid sh&#105;t, pay the price. Be a good boy/girl, and just keep rolling along. I used to be sort of an outlaw of sorts when I was younger, and I learned a lot—plenty of expensive legal troubles to learn from.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

Suckin wind like a boss
    Thoughts on this?
    that ******* was WAY out of line. internal affairs my ass, that dipsh!t needs his badge pulled. dude on the bike wasnt doing anything wrong but riding the bike with a gopro.

Damn that hurt
    Good cops rarely make the news !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango59 View Post
    Good cops rarely make the news !!!
    I think this is evidence of why the bad stereotype exists. They're in such a public profession that any misstep gets a lot of attention. I don't think that all cops are bad, not by a long shot, but when you've been on the bad end of the stick for no reason like some of these folks have mentioned you'll know what we're talking about.

I don't hate cops, I just hate the bad ones.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cops are just hired thugs. They are the only ones in our society who are allowed to be violent and they use that fact way more than they should. There just isn't enough oversight. Currently there is a battle in NYC to get the cops to quit harassing people - they have been stopping and frisking innocent people without due cause. There is a great NPR story (from "This American Life" I think) where a NYC cop tells how he didn't want to partake in busting innocent people to fill a quota and then they turned against him and he ended up fearing for his life.

Those of you who think you are immune to being the subject of police harassment are foolish. And probably white. Being pulled over for "driving while black" is a real phenomenon. I experienced a little of what that's like when I had long hair in Texas back in my heavy metal days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As someone from the UK that will be relocating to the US later in the year, I've been driving around as much as I can out there with my other half in the passenger seat getting the do's and don'ts. I don't have a problem with the police, my cousin, sister and ex are all old bill. I'm not particularly a fan of traffic police though. Over here, they have a rep for persecuting motorists as its easy revenue. However, compared to the police in the US, they are positively easy going here. I've no problem with people getting nicked for dangerous driving, but getting nicked for rolling a red light or straying over a road marking when there's no one else around is ridiculous. It's difficult to have respect for the police when they are handing out tickets for petty stuff to what are otherwise law abiding citizens.

Tapped via tapatalk

Life Is Short

Will I like your posts but this one I may agree to disagree. Sure cops and firefighters put their lives
    on the line but they took that risk for their profession. My cousin is a cop and I know a bunch of them. Some are making good money, enough to buy a better house than me. A
    professional boxer puts his life on the line every time he gets into the ring or my relative who works at the Gas Co and is always checking gas leaks. But seriously, its a profession they chose--no one forced them to become them. Wal-Mart is always hiring. Thanks

Never Forget 9-11
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    But seriously, its a profession they chose--no one forced them to become them. Wal-Mart is always hiring. Thanks

Find someone at Walmart to do this for you.

It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    Find someone at Walmart to do this for you.

There are many examples of ordinary citizens entering burning buildings to rescue people without monetary motivations.

Never Forget 9-11
    There are many examples of ordinary citizens entering burning buildings to rescue people without monetary motivations.

The majority of firefighters in the US are volunteers. It's not about money.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

banned
    Sep 2010
    The majority of the volunteers that I have seen have a hard time getting off of the truck much less run, running into a burning building is out of the question, as is passing the PT test for a proffesional job.

Members who have read this thread: 0