Cool hardware store finds.- Mtbr.com
    Fart smeller

Cool hardware store finds.

I was just using a Cable Cuff today in the bedroom (for less lurid details, don't PM me) and realized how much I enjoy hardware gadgets. What are some of your favorites?

Or, we could just make this an erotic hardware thread.

Number one, of course: The Hula Hoe.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Pipe Dreamer
    A guy I worked with a long time ago gave me some cable cuffs. I still use them to this day. One keeps my airless spay line tidy on the rig.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Hmmm..mmmm, mums the word over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    One keeps my airless spay line tidy on the rig.
    I have no idea what this means. Something to do with dogs?

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    ...mums the word...
    They're called milfs these days, DJames.

Heather Heyer

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I have no idea what this means. Something to do with dogs?
    I shoulda clarified; One keeps my airless paint sprayer hose coiled up and attached to the sprayer handle. It's the big cuff and it works well.

Fart smeller
    I shoulda clarified; One keeps my airless paint sprayer hose coiled up and attached to the sprayer handle. It's the big cuff and it works well.
    Ahh, spray, not spay. Gotcha.

Heather Heyer

I knew what you meant in the first place.

I only questioned the cuffs remark. Wutevah! Not you BTW

I enjoy a cianti with a side of frava beans.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I got a Krafse from Norway when I was working there, really good tool for dirt work, not sold anywhere outside of Norway though, kinda odd really, not even sold anywhere else in Scandinavia, only Norway. I cut the handle off it and put it in my tool box to get it home then put another handle on it when I got back to the states.

The funny thing is, I always visit hardware stores when I am in foreign countries, and I was in Norway in 2001 and actually took a pic of a Krafse then, thinking it would be a useful tool, then when I was there working in 2014 I used one and had to have it, now I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I got a Krafse from Norway when I was working there, really good tool for dirt work, not sold anywhere outside of Norway though, kinda odd really, not even sold anywhere else in Scandinavia, only Norway. I cut the handle off it and put it in my tool box to get it home then put another handle on it when I got back to the states.

The funny thing is, I always visit hardware stores when I am in foreign countries, and I was in Norway in 2001 and actually took a pic of a Krafse then, thinking it would be a useful tool, then when I was there working in 2014 I used one and had to have it, now I do.

I envy you in terms of travel and visiting different cultures [especially in the hardware store realm]. Seriously! I bet you see a huge diversity of advanced and not so much so, advanced technology.

So many great inventions and ideas get side marked. Especially in today's world. All it takes is funds and a belief.

Pipe Dreamer
    Ahh, spray, not spay. Gotcha.
    I forgot the r, oops.

mtbr member
    [especially in the hardware store realm]
    I love hardware stores, its where I get all my ish to make ish happen, so when I go to a foreign country I want to see whats available, I know I'm supposed to go to a museam or some ish, but I don't go to museums in the USA so why would I in a foreign country?

And if you need a jigsaw in Venice Italy, DO NOT BUY IT FROM THE HARDWARE STORE!!! For a Bosch jigsaw it was close to 400 euros, back when the euro was worth something... Super cramped hardware store too, which I actually like, reminds me of NYC hardware stores.

I love hardware stores, its where I get all my ish to make ish happen, so when I go to a foreign country I want to see whats available, I know I'm supposed to go to a museam or some ish, but I don't go to museums in the USA so why would I in a foreign country?

And if you need a jigsaw in Venice Italy, DO NOT BUY IT FROM THE HARDWARE STORE!!! For a Bosch jigsaw it was close to 400 euros, back when the euro was worth something... Super cramped hardware store too, which I actually like, reminds me of NYC hardware stores.

I hear ya. The problem is: So many great ideas either get dropped or get picked up by cheap companies that can't afford to put them out there in the light that they deserve. The end game: They don't get the launch and the recognition that they deserve.

Thank God for Shark Tank USA.

Pipe Dreamer
    I had a blue Husky folding knife for like five years that finally vanished. I went to a few stores (HD, Menards) and found the new ones too big and bulky. Picked up this little Stanley knife at Lowes today for like $6. Not sure I like how loose the blade is, tho.

Cool hardware store finds.-stanly.jpg

mtbr member
    I had a blue Husky folding knife for like five years that finally vanished. I went to a few stores (HD, Menards) and found the new ones too big and bulky. Picked up this little Stanley knife at Lowes today for like $6. Not sure I like how loose the blade is, tho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stanly.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1129262
    https://www.amazon.com/Mercator-Kniv.../dp/B004GEGB0Y

Carbon steel sharpens easily and stays sharp long time.

mtbr member
    This is a Krafse,

mtbr member
    And this is a jacolantern I saw in Copenhagen in 2014, scandanavia loves the 80's.

We worked in Levanger, the town of Hell was about 70 km south of us, that is where the radio station we listened to was from, or more succinctly, the radio station from hell ;-)

Some pretty good jams really, bunch of old Dire Straits, and they planted the "Beverly Hills Cop" theme song at least once a day, on a less frequent rotation was the Ghost Busters theme song, about once a week....

Pipe Dreamer
    https://www.amazon.com/Mercator-Kniv.../dp/B004GEGB0Y

Carbon steel sharpens easily and stays sharp long time.
    That's a cool knife for sure, might hafta get one to check out. I do prefer the small disposable blades, tho. I use it mainly for masking related tasks, so I really only use the tip.

And it needs the clip, it lives in the side pocket of my jeans.

mtbr member
    That's a cool knife for sure, might hafta get one to check out. I do prefer the small disposable blades, tho. I use it mainly for masking related tasks, so I really only use the tip.

And it needs the clip, it lives in the side pocket of my jeans.
    Ah, yea, I did add a clip to my mercator, and a thumb tab but for masking you need a crispy sharp knife and the disposable blades are hard to beat.

One ring to mash them all
    I found a nice folding knife like that Stanley (but all silver) on a backpacking trip.

I also found a kick-ass Swiss Army knife on a backpacking trip, probably would cost about $50-60 new today. Except the toothpick was gone, so I suffered for days after eating some re-hydrated corn. ****ing idiot who lost it, couldn't even leave it intact!
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I found a nice folding knife like that Stanley (but all silver) on a backpacking trip.

I also found a kick-ass Swiss Army knife on a backpacking trip, probably would cost about $50-60 new today. Except the toothpick was gone, so I suffered for days after eating some re-hydrated corn. ****ing idiot who lost it, couldn't even leave it intact!
    The original owners were obviously from the Midwest. Corn being their staple for survival.

mtbr member
    I found a dusty little box of these stick-figure shaped clips in the back of a local Hardware store, bought a handful in various complimentary colors and they now serve dual duty on all my bikes as mojo figures and map/cue sheet holders.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    The original owners were obviously from the Midwest. Corn being their staple for survival.
    I resemble that remark lol. And sadly, I can't argue that point either lol. Nothing like farm fresh sweet corn.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I resemble that remark lol. And sadly, I can't argue that point either lol. Nothing like farm fresh sweet corn.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Love the corn.

mtbr member
    I was just using a Cable Cuff today in the bedroom (for less lurid details, don't PM me) and realized how much I enjoy hardware gadgets. What are some of your favorites?

Or, we could just make this an erotic hardware thread.

Number one, of course: The Hula Hoe.
    I've been using those since around 2000. I use them a lot on wires I wrap up.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post

I don't think I would stick a used toothpick in my mouth. Even after cleaning it.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I don't think I would stick a used toothpick in my mouth. Even after cleaning it.
    I've kissed girls so toothpicks don't bother me...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Name:	stanly.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1129262
    Milwaukee Fastback. Home Despot sells them.

Some of their newer tools are so-so, but the folding utility knife is a home run. I've got an original and one with a spare blade in the handle. Their packs of "extra sharp" blades aren't too shabby, either. I'll often use those, specifically, as scrapers, after folding the edge with a slip stone.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Milwaukee Fastback. Home Despot sells them.

Some of their newer tools are so-so, but the folding utility knife is a home run. I've got an original and one with a spare blade in the handle. Their packs of "extra sharp" blades aren't too shabby, either. I'll often use those, specifically, as scrapers, after folding the edge with a slip stone.
    I don't know why I didn't notice that one when I was there. It does appear to be a bit bigger when opened up. I used the Stanley today and it felt good in the hand. I noticed the one-handed operation on the Milwaukee would be quicker/easier so I went for it.

Cool hardware store finds.-milwaukee.jpg

Fart smeller
    I hate those frickin' boxcutters where you gotta keep your thumb on then to keep the blade out.

What are we, ten years old?

Heather Heyer

I hate those frickin' boxcutters where you gotta keep your thumb on then to keep the blade out.

What are we, ten years old?
    Pretty simple to use actually.

I don't know why I didn't notice that one when I was there. It does appear to be a bit bigger when opened up. I used the Stanley today and it felt good in the hand. I noticed the one-handed operation on the Milwaukee would be quicker/easier so I went for it.

Name:	milwaukee.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	1129638
    If you use these with any consistency they fall apart. I've had a couple fall apart and went back to regular utility knife box cutters.

Pipe Dreamer
    If you use these with any consistency they fall apart. I've had a couple fall apart and went back to regular utility knife box cutters.
    You must have skimmed the part where I said I had my last one for like five years. I used it at work every day, and it was always in my pocket.

Even though I don't mind buying these cool little inexpensive knives, I'm still hoping the old one will show up somewhere.

I still haven't dumped out my tool box yet.

mtbr member
    I don't like those folding knives for heavy dudy work either. Though I own several and are great for light dudy stuff.
    Same with those cable cuffs, they break pretty easily. When they first came out every contractor I knew had them. I don't think I've seen one in many years now.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

You must have skimmed the part where I said I had my last one for like five years. I used it at work every day, and it was always in my pocket.

Even though I don't mind buying these cool little inexpensive knives, I'm still hoping the old one will show up somewhere.

I still haven't dumped out my tool box yet.
    Nope, didn't skim that at all. Just giving my experience with the same knife. Used daily at work I grenaded two of them in a years time.

Pipe Dreamer
    Nope, didn't skim that at all. Just giving my experience with the same knife. Used daily at work I grenaded two of them in a years time.
    So you're talking about the Milwaukee one, then? I'll put it to the test and see how it does.

@WHALENARD: I mainly use mine for cutting plastic film and tape, so definitely light duty stuff. I like that it's always there, which would be kinda awkward with a full sized knife, like my Stanley FATMAX.

You can never have too many knives, right?

mtbr member
    So you're talking about the Milwaukee one, then? I'll put it to the test and see how it does.

@WHALENARD: I mainly use mine for cutting plastic film and tape, so definitely light duty stuff. I like that it's always there, which would be kinda awkward with a full sized knife, like my Stanley FATMAX.

Yep, I keep several around, various tool boxes etc...knives are handy things. I like the folding ones for just that, they're light, small and easy to maneuver. I have one of the Milwaukee ones, nice knife & i like that it can store blades. Bit heavy for a pocket knife though

I had a Milwaukee and then a Husky. Same exact design but different brands. Both disintegrated where they pivot and the blade popped out. Pretty dangerous when the blade comes out when in use. Loved them when they worked though. I used them pretty hard cutting boxes, plastic wrap and plastic banding materials.

mtbr member

Pipe Dreamer
    I had a Milwaukee and then a Husky.
    I figured you'd have a Kobalt for sure! lol

Can we talk about cool estate sale finds, too? I've found many a cool tool at those and garage sales.

4' and 14" Stabila levels for ~$20, old rusty paint covered Estwing hammer with the green handle for $3 that I brought back to life, various old hand planes and wooden levels, etc, etc, etc.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Korn, did you get the one that recommends using safety glasses while using it, or the one that recommends listening to music on old-school headphones while using it?

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Pipe Dreamer
    lol! That's good, Net!

I had just got back from the Depot and I was browsing The Awesomer dotcom and saw this video, crazy!

lol @ "DIY" Knife Upgrade

https://youtu.be/dmtMUfVmlVM

Looks cool and all, but seems like a waste of technology, like having too much bike.

Rabid Lana Fan
    ^ Maybe that one won't disintegrate under consistent use?

Pipe Dreamer
    It will be consistent, pull it out and open it, use it, close it and put it back. Every time.

I like the Fastback because it's more flickable.

I get the feeling I'm gonna hurt myself closing the Stanley with one hand.

blank

mtbr member
    lol @ "DIY" Knife Upgrade

https://youtu.be/dmtMUfVmlVM
    cool to have the skills to do that, but WTF? Why would you do that? "Because you can" is not an acceptable answer. Ultimately the "opening" utility knife serves very little purpose IMO, so once you open it you have a 7" long knife with a 1" long blade? If its 7" long it better have more than one inch of blade. Why not just carry a normal utility knife that holds 5 spare blades in the handle and still has a 1" long sharp edge?

cool to have the skills to do that, but WTF? Why would you do that? "Because you can" is not an acceptable answer. Ultimately the "opening" utility knife serves very little purpose IMO, so once you open it you have a 7" long knife with a 1" long blade? If its 7" long it better have more than one inch of blade. Why not just carry a normal utility knife that holds 5 spare blades in the handle and still has a 1" long sharp edge?
    Good point, utility knives get most jobs done and make more sense.

Pipe Dreamer
    The folding one fits in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans perfectly. I thought I wouldn't like it when I first got it for the reasons you stated, but it's been with me for five years.

Here's one of my estate sale finds, figured I'd post since it's so slow around here. I think I know what it is, but I haven't been able to find proof yet. I just used it a few minutes ago, and it works better than the others I've had. What do you think it is used for?

Cool hardware store finds.-goodell.jpg

The folding one fits in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans perfectly. I thought I wouldn't like it when I first got it for the reasons you stated, but it's been with me for five years.

Here's one of my estate sale finds, figured I'd post since it's so slow around here. I think I know what it is, but I haven't been able to find proof yet. I just used it a few minutes ago, and it works better than the others I've had. What do you think it is used for?

Name:	goodell.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	1129947
    I bet I know what you used it for. But I don't think that's what it's intended purpose is.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Is it for "aerating" soil?

Pipe Dreamer
    I bet I know what you used it for. But I don't think that's what it's intended purpose is.
    What do you think it's intended purpose is?

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Is it for "aerating" soil?
    That task would take a very long time with this tool.

What do you think it's intended purpose is?
    I'm at a loss for its intended purpose but I think you used it for a paint brush comb. Am I correct?

Pipe Dreamer
    I'm at a loss for its intended purpose but I think you used it for a paint brush comb. Am I correct?
    Yes. I actually bought it not knowing what it was, figured I could use it for something, maybe a wood distressing tool. A while later I was in a hardware store and I noticed other tools close to the paint section with the Goodell name. They make putty knives and scrapers and such, so I figured that's what it was, and I been using it as a brush comb ever since. I leave it a home, tho, don't want to find that in my tool box on the wrong end, those are some nasty, big, pointy teeth!

Yes. I actually bought it not knowing what it was, figured I could use it for something, maybe a wood distressing tool. A while later I was in a hardware store and I noticed other tools close to the paint section with the Goodell name. They make putty knives and scrapers and such, so I figured that's what it was, and I been using it as a brush comb ever since. I leave it a home, tho, don't want to find that in my tool box on the wrong end, those are some nasty, big, pointy teeth!
    I bet thems some nasty pointy things. I wonder what it's really meant for.

Rabid Lana Fan
    So this thread made me want a folding utility knife. I always have a razor blade hanging around my desk for box opening and such. But they get lost so easily.

I swung by Home Depot at lunch today with the intention of buying one of those Milwaukees. Came out with this instead.

I hope I'm not "over-utilityknived" for my local boxes. I don't care though, I love the modern geometry and it's nice not to have to use my index finger to hold the blade in place throughout it's travel.

mtbr member
    I have found wiss tools to be pretty damn nice and well made for the money. For me that would make a good camping or all around knife, but wouldn't replace a razor knife. The ease of replacing a razor in a razor knife to keep it razor sharp is the point of box cutter style knife. Regarding pocket knives < $30 I have found gerber to have the best quality blades.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Damn.

Back to HD tomorrow @ lunch for a Milwaukee Folder.

Pipe Dreamer
    That Wiss is cool, Net, but is it flickable? I was thinking that having a blade you can flick open at the drop of a hat would be useful, like when defending yourself against violent joggers out on the trail.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Yes, it's very flickable. Almost like a switchblade.

mtbr member
    Meat piercer/ice pick?

Right from the grill straight to the martini ice. That's multi tasking! It was a different time back then...like before salmonella.

Cycologist

Name:	goodell.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	1129947

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/2904...?ref=related-5
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Nice detective work ^

mtbr member
    Admittedly used google, though I think my grandfather had one hanging in his barn. $12 on ebay with the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Yes, it's very flickable. Almost like a switchblade.

And you are in luck too. Well at least if you pass through Colorado. Just like weed and ladies able to go topless in Fort Collins they just passed a law making it legal to carry a switchblade.

Cool knife, like! 

BTW you can still get both kinds of utility box cutting knives. Those that need the thumb to hold the blade out and those that lock the blade out like the original ones. The ones you hold with your thumb are made for company use for safety purposes. They also only come out a 1/4 of and inch unless you break the plastic tab off.

Thanks for attending utility knife 101 class.

Pipe Dreamer
    Yes, good find. Ice pick/meat piercer/brush comb/personal defense, it has many uses!

Nice work on the flickable video, Net.

Cycologist
    And you are in luck too. Well at least if you pass through Colorado. Just like weed and ladies able to go topless in Fort Collins they just passed a law making it legal to carry a switchblade.
    So…

any ladies taking advantage of that new found freedom? Any that you'd actually want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    So…

any ladies taking advantage of that new found freedom? Any that you'd actually want to see?
    I haven't witnessed any of it yet. But when and if I do a I'll be sure to whip it out...My cell phone that is, for a photo or two to post up.

mtbr member
    I haven't witnessed any of it yet. But when and if I do a I'll be sure to whip it out...My cell phone that is, for a photo or two to post up.
    lol There's been a couple of topless max (train) days here in Portland. And of coarse the naked bike ride.

Pipe Dreamer
    Not available in stores yet, but I want one when they are!

Is there a Lowe's close to you?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Too...der/1000046313

Pipe Dreamer
    Not quite the same thing, DJ.

Not quite the same thing, DJ.
    Hmmm..I guess I should have watched that video before chiming in. I feel like such a Roofus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    This is a Krafse,

I actually googled that before I got down to this post to see what it was and why you thought it was so special....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Kraf...w=1747&bih=848

Looks very similar to a standard Garden Hoe. What about the slight curve on the blade makes it so special? What is the specific use for this over a Garden Hoe?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member

I can do the same thing with my torpedo level and my speed square both of which are always in my tool bags already.

IMO this tool serves no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I actually googled that before I got down to this post to see what it was and why you thought it was so special....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Kraf...w=1747&bih=848

Looks very similar to a standard Garden Hoe. What about the slight curve on the blade makes it so special? What is the specific use for this over a Garden Hoe?
    It wider than a hoe, but narrower than a rake, when you are standing and using the tool the crescent shape that is the cutting edge is level, the whole thing is concave so it can pull a fair bit of dirt.

Also, when you are shooting concrete for a bowl, and the mud is going off fast/you are getting behind this is a good tool for cutting the bulk of the extra mud off so you can cut just a bit off with the fresno for an accurate shape, this being narrower than a fresno makes it cut through prtially hardened concrete better than a fresno.

I'd shoot a video of it, but its raing out and I don't want to go get it :-P

Pipe Dreamer
    I can do the same thing with my torpedo level and my speed square both of which are always in my tool bags already.

IMO this tool serves no purpose.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

It looks great for things like staircase stringers and skirt boards. I know you can find angles with simpler tools, and if that works for you, great! I just think it's cool.

Pipe Dreamer
    Just seen this at The Awesomer, looks kinda neat, but incredibly dorky.

The do all drill. If it does the job you need it to do, I say who cares what it looks like, it's a tool.