Cooking in an apocalypse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cooking in an apocalypse

I know we have a cooking thread but stores are empty. You have what you can be resourceful with. What is your best recipe for tree bark? The neighbor has a goat. Will he notice it went missing?

My grandparents taught my parents how to cook, my dad always did the cooking and had taught me how to use the most out of everything you had. I have learned from him on how to be resourceful. Growing up we did not have much. Things had changed. But with limited supplies it's kinda back to the way it used to be.

As a group of people who I feel generally eat healthier than others, be it clean eating, vegetarian, vegan, and so on I don't see the cycling community being those who stock up on frozen pizzas and hot pockets.

What are your new food plans? Ideas for others on how to make the most of what you have?
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Dark Meat
    Frozen pizza and hot pockets

mtbr member
    Definitely some Frozen Pizza and Hot Pockets.
    A full/assorted pantry and canned/jarred vegetables.

Freeze dried (Mountain House) meals and cases of MREs - if it should come to that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iíve got this.
    Cooking in an apocalypse-7cee3e36-32b5-488c-8a83-6852b1034ab7.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    The way the stores have been emptied, and how people continue to buy groceries, I really wonder if anyone knows how to keep a pantry stocked.

Very thankful I harvested a deer back in December. An extra 20-30 pounds of protein is very welcomed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_In_AZ View Post
    The way the stores have been emptied, and how people continue to buy groceries, I really wonder if anyone knows how to keep a pantry stocked.

Very thankful I harvested a deer back in December. An extra 20-30 pounds of protein is very welcomed right now.
    Bunch of crazies out there. I saw a lady with 8 or 10 gallons of milk. Hello!
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Pipe Dreamer
    After I had been preparing for the worst starting about two-three weeks ago, I think it was last weekend that I panic bought eggs, onions, and potatoes. Not wanting it to go bad before I could eat it all, I started looking into freezing. I've been eating my home made breakfast bowls every morning for a few years now, and did a test to see if it could be pre-mixed then frozen and nuked, turns out they're great that way! I would just put one in the fridge the night before so it's mostly thawed by morning. 2mins in the micro, stir, then another 2mins, stir, top with cheese and eat (I like to add BBQ sauce). I haven't gone into production on these yet, but just might to do a full test run soon.

I'd start by making a big batch of mashed potatoes, I bought golden potatoes which I've read freeze well. Then dice a bunch of onion, garlic, and pickled jalapeno (big jar from Costco). After that it'd be a bunch of cans of refried black beans, then whatever meat, I've recently switched to baked salmon, but slow cooked pork butt is very economical and easy to prepare. And finally a bunch of eggs. I don't do measurements, but after everything is combined it fills about a half a Ziploc sandwich bag. General recipe as follows:

1 scoop of mashed potatoes
    1 scoop of refried black beans
    A small bit of meat, maybe 4-5oz
    A bunch of diced garlic, about 4-5 cloves for me, I love garlic!
    A bunch of diced onions, probably equal to the garlic
    A bunch of diced pickled jalapeno, probably 5-7 slices
    2 eggs

Mix everything together in a bowl, then open a ziploc bag and place into a cup with the edges of the opening folded over so you can spoon the mixture in. Zip and freeze. Night before place in fridge. Next morning unzip and place in bowl. Nuke for 2mins and stir, nuke another two and stir again. Top with cheese and whatever else you like!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

One ring to mash them all
    I recently got a vacuum sealer. Still learning to use it.

Cooking in an apocalypse-su48jt4qrpn41.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

Pipe Dreamer
    lol!

I want a processor. Are there any cheap ones that are decent? Ninja for $20?

Meatbomb
    Steak and Mushrooms....

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    lol!

I bought a Ninja on Black Friday. I think I paid $80 off from $140 not positive though. Thanks for reminding me, I need to break it out and use it.

mtbr member
    lol!

We have the little (32oz I think) Ninja and itís cool for mincing and stuff. But if you want full processing capability, a half decent one is only like $40. I like the bigger one we have now.

mtbr member
    Love the vacuum sealer!!! Lol
    Whats nice with the smaller vacuum sealers is you can do soups. Lock it down and pick it up. Lay the soup or broth flat in the freezer. Once it's frozen you can put it away like a file in a cabinet.

Get a good food processor. When you go cheaper you will regret it. Especially one that has accessories like grating.

I've seen where people freeze soup in a short plastic container, and then take it out and vacuum seal it.
    Go Fact Yourself.

All fat, all the time.
    We make a huge pot of chili, eat it for a couple meals, then freeze the rest.
    In big zip lock bags, works great, v easy to reheat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Deep dish sourdough pizza cooking in the woodstove.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Iíve got this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CEE3E36-32B5-488C-8A83-6852B1034AB7.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	1319049
    paleo ?
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Single Track Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Deep dish sourdough pizza cooking in the woodstove.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    What time should I come over?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    You go ahead and stock up on food.

I'll stock up on ammunition. When I run out of food I know I can get some from you.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Our stores are in pretty good shape so we make enough for leftovers and continue to eat healthy. Eating or ordering out has ceased due to financial constraints for the time being, let alone the closure of places.

We only buy what we need, and not wanting for anything luckily. I'm not sure others can say the same unfortunately.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

poser Administrator
    Flour is a necessity, unless you at gluten intolerant or celiac.

You can make so many things out of flour that will sustain. Add yeast, water, and salt + time bread.
    Add water, rolling pin, and forearm muscles: pasta
    Add potatoes: gnochi
    Add to oil: thickener for broth
    Add milk, sugar, baking soda, and a fat: biscuits

It is a great base and stores well. If I had to have one thing in my pantry it would be flour followed by dried beans. Unfortunately my local purveyors are out of both products. I have a few lbs of floor and no dried beans currently. I am going to get some of those as soon as I can find them. Then I feel slightly more apocalypse ready.

Also check out your local restaurant supply stores. They sell bulk supplies more and are less appealing to people that are scrounging for stuff. I grab a lot of full cuts of meat, butcher them at home, vac pack and freeze. Meat is calorie dense and can be used with the flour to make soups to extend its life.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Brother is a Pharmacist.
    Uses Mylar bags and 5 gal buckets for 25 year cut oats.
    Store in cool dry place.
    Not instant.

Go highest quality you can go on the vacuum sealer, buy uncut bulk bag material. Excellent for deer meat, fish fillets, and sales on whole ham and beef, snow peas, green beans etc.

Pressure cooker with machined interface, no gasket, clamps, made in USA.

Omega masticating processor for grinding and extraction. Slow, low heat, GE auger.

Whole wheat flower but a bit denser loaf.

A propane tank and cast iron burner for emergencies, and a good cast iron Dutch oven.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

psycho cyclo addict
    Thankful my mother was an awesome all around cook and that I was smart enough to learn from her LOL

I can make something tasty out of not much or take something large and create multiple meals out of it. We have a fair bit of edible things on hand at this point... certainly not 10x of each item though!
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

Bikesexual
    lol!

I have the small Ninja, it works quite well, it's just too small sometimes.

I can make a quick pasta sauce though, canned tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, I add a bit of white onion, some oregano, and some herbs de Provence. I can saute some bell peppers, and or shrooms, and mix that with the sauce. Cheap and better than sauce in a jar.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

since 4/10/2009
    I've kept a pantry of food for quite some time. fresh/refrigerated stuff, I am not exactly awash with, but when it comes to dried/nonperishable pantry type items, I'm in good shape. even have a case of homebrew. the grocery stores here aren't too bad off. Sure, there's shortages of things like bread, milk, TP, cleaning supplies, and other things here and there, but there's plenty of produce. meat is iffy at times, but I like to buy big hunks of meat for the freezer when they're on sale and cook them later. supplies of organic items are usually fine. Surprisingly, there was plenty of frozen pizza and hot pockets last time I went to the store.

I'm glad I had a decent amount of flour and some yeast before all this went down. can't find yeast in the stores right now. I could probably find some easily enough, though. White Labs produces yeast right here in town and I'm sure I can order straight from them if I had to.

Probably going to make a great big pot of ham & beans tonight.

mtbr member
    I saved the ham bones left over from Christmas to make with bean soup. I just happened to buy several packages of bean soup mix back in December.

its interesting some things that are gone and not gone. My dad went to the store for a few things. Hasnt been able to find mustard. he just wants some plain ol yellow mustard. None. No mayo, but plenty of ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    its interesting some things that are gone and not gone. My dad went to the store for a few things. Hasnt been able to find mustard. he just wants some plain ol yellow mustard. None. No mayo, but plenty of ketchup.
    I noticed at a couple of stores in aisles that are mostly bare, there are items I've never noticed in those aisles before (example: Tahini paste in the canned beans area). I should be taking notes so I know where to find some of the more obscure items next time I need them.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    We make a huge pot of chili, eat it for a couple meals, then freeze the rest.
    In big zip lock bags, works great, v easy to reheat.
    We do this as well. Chili , Green Chili, Spaghetti Sauces etc...

We take them to the lake as well. Get a pot of water hot on the grill and drop the bag in to reheat..

Straight out tha traila
    Azim here's a pic of my prickly, I think I can make a few meals out of it fo sho. I've been doing some dutch oven cooking the last 6 months or so and just got a new 8" tiny one for smaller meals. Haven't tried real wood yet, just the briquettes so not sure how my apocalypse cooking would be!

I was at the Cal ranch store last weekend and they had a bunch of beer bread, looks good to me! Bread is hard to come by here, I'll give these a shot.

Cooking in an apocalypse-20200322_081245.jpg

Cooking in an apocalypse-20200322_085120.jpg
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Azim here's a pic of my prickly, I think I can make a few meals out of it fo sho. I've been doing some dutch oven cooking the last 6 months or so and just got a new 8" tiny one for smaller meals. Haven't tried real wood yet, just the briquettes so not sure how my apocalypse cooking would be!

I was at the Cal ranch store last weekend and they had a bunch of beer bread, looks good to me! Bread is hard to come by here, I'll give these a shot.

Name:	20200322_081245.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	1319235

Name:	20200322_085120.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	1319237
    My 12yo wants to try the pears off one. Need to find a wild one and grab a few.

mtbr member
    thats a great one to have. nice and spineless. this is what I have all over. and you can see the damn javelina have been munching on it.

Cooking in an apocalypse-img_20200323_173925679_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Roasted a pig yesterday. was about 50lbs. came out great!

Cooking in an apocalypse-img_20200328_100505892_hdr.jpg

gotta have a Mai Tai at a pig roast
    Cooking in an apocalypse-img_20200328_142841018.jpg

Cooking in an apocalypse-img_20200328_180852453.jpg

Cooking in an apocalypse-img_20200328_152146754.jpg

mtbr member
    ^Damn, that looks amazing! Not sure I've seen a cook box set up like that before. If I ever move to Arizona I'm gonna make damn sure it's next door to you.

Tonight was some Dungeness sandwiches, which I love.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    the Caja China is awesome. We have done many different things in it. we had a big group for thanksgiving and did 3 22lb ish turkeys. It is nice because it frees up the oven for other things. just put charcoal on top, 16 lbs to start 10 lbs every hour for 4 hours. it is kinda like a giant dutch oven.

mtbr member

Ribeyes and asparagus on the Traeger.

Snow Dog
    well, I would just do what I did in college

jar of peanut butter and a spoon. I always had that in my backpack during "the lean years", and it was fine..

other have been hoarding tp, I have about 15 jars of PB here at the house. Purchased over the past 6 months, just because. I usually buy 2 per trip to the store.

in a true apocalypse setting, I would try to sustain a small garden...I like my veggies raw, so there would be no need to cook. I actually hate cooked veggies...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Bikesexual

Ribeyes and asparagus on the Traeger.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member

Cooking in an apocalypse

Canít say Iím sad about being home and having time to cook everyday.

Dirty Old Man
    I'm pretty much always home and cook three meals a day anyway. Not much has changed. We've got a grain mill so we mill our own oatmeal and flour. We always have enough around to get through a few months at a time. Plenty of rice, dried beans, etc. Deep freezer and commercial vacuum sealer mean there is always plenty of meat on hand. Commercial water distiller means I never have to go to Costco and fight for water. Plenty of frozen fruit in the freezer, plus a Vitamix means smoothies are always available. Having extra time on hand though means I've been able to start teaching my kids how to make breads. The only thing that needs weekly restocking in my house is milk. Aside from more free time and less ride time, life hasn't changed much, dietary or otherwise.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member

Cooking in an apocalypse

Before:

After:

Venison Pepper Steak, with pepper jack cheese of course.

mtbr member
    Oh hell yeah, this is gonna be good.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Before:

After:

Venison Pepper Steak, with pepper jack cheese of course.
    Yeah man, nice work on that. I used to make something very similar all the time growing up in Jersey. Everybody was awash in Whitetail.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Your neighbors goat will only last so long, along with your chicken support animal. You may have to resort to eating insects for your protein needs. Thats what they do in China.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Your neighbors goat will only last so long, along with your chicken support animal. You may have to resort to eating insects for your protein needs. Thats what they do in China.
    You must be upset that you are out of mac n cheese, hot dogs, and Pringles. Sorry it seems you do not know how to cook

This probably isn't news to everyone, but in case someone can benefit:

If you need flour, yeast or other basic, scratch supplies that the grocer is out of, you may be able to order it from a restaurant.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    I wonder if Taco Bell will sell some TP?

I mean, they must have loads of it on hand...

mtbr member
    Even they run out of things. But I'm sure they have it to go since there is no dine in option.

Even they run out of things. But I'm sure they have it to go since there is no dine in option.
    Right, there was something on the radio the other day about restaurants having a surplus of sorts. So we could order a few pizzas and a pound of flour and you'd get the flour in a ziploc.

LOL Korn but some places are selling TP. Taco Hell should throw in a roll or two per order just on general principles.
    Go Fact Yourself.

No known cure
    Made these last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cooking in an apocalypse-fb_img_1581201606148.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dream View Post
    I canít look at such photos at night. but very appetizing. It was tasty?
    How do you feel about eating Spam in the apocalypse?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dream View Post
    I canít look at such photos at night. but very appetizing. It was tasty?
    BTW you can't build up your post count in here.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Made these last night.
    Damn that looks good Vader, only thing missing is the heartburn pills.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Damn that looks good Vader, only thing missing is the heartburn pills.
    That sauce is from scratch. I've never had heartburn before but that's probably from my hot pepper habit. These pizzas were heavy on the crushed tepin chili powder.

ETA THe other pizza will be lunch tomorrow. I have a craving for junk food (which I rarely eat) so I'm driving down the mountain to In & Out.

mtbr member
    Damn looks good. Anything in cast iron is good.

Two things I have never had. Heartburn and a hangover. I love spicy food and alcohol. My wife hates me for it. Have a party, get trashed, 5am next morning let's go for a ride! Ask my friends. Never a hangover, give me tequila and the chef hot Thai food and I'll kick their ass on the trail.

No known cure
    Damn looks good. Anything in cast iron is good.

Two things I have never had. Heartburn and a hangover. I love spicy food and alcohol. My wife hates it. Have a party, get trashed, 5am let's go for a ride!
    I'm the same. Unless I drink hard liquor which is why I only drink beer. I've been on a cheap beer kick. Instead of double IPAs, it's been Rolling Rock but it's been hot here and at this elevation, the sun is brilliant so RR has been a good outdoor work beer and the it's low enough octane I can drink it and run the chainsaw and splitter even after seven.

Straight out tha traila
    Made some ribs in the dutch oven the other night, good stuff!

Cooking in an apocalypse-20200428_171445.jpg

Cooking in an apocalypse-20200428_205158.jpg
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Snow Dog
    for me, eating during the apocalypse would be like how I ate in college...Spam, peanut butter...or just nuts, cheap cheese...bread....

I have already made a plan on how to exist without cooking...and without meat

it will be interesting to see what happens with my step kids, who think that all food comes out of a window at a restaurant....
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Same as any other day. Mmmm fried spam sandwich. Extra yellow mustard please.