Confusion in shopping for a new printer. AAARRRGGG!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Confusion in shopping for a new printer. AAARRRGGG!

My 10 year old Epson Photo R220 died. Can't complain about that. But now they are all "all in one units". I have a perfectly good 10 y.o. Hp flat bed scanner too so I really don't need a new scanner. It has twice the resolution of the scanners in these "all in one" units anyway. And it can scan film slides too.

Plus "all in ones" include faxing and copying. But that's the least of my trouble. I have picked a couple of models I like, the Canon PIXMA MX922 and the Brother MFC J885DW. But no matter what make/model or price, much higher priced models than what I'm looking for, they all have four star reviews. It's when I read the one star reviews that worries me. These printers seem to run into problems right out of the box sometimes, bad error messages, paper jams, etc. Also, I will not buy a printer that I can't get refillable ink cartridges for either. I'm not spending more on ink than what the printer costs. That's also why I've eliminated HP and Epson now. I was able to refill my current Epson but the new ones won't be refillable any more. So that's my story on printer shopping.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Printer ink cost is insane. At least that's what I remember the last time I owned a printer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Laser printer FTW.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    dot-matrix printer ftw.
    fify
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Rabid Lana Fan
    ewww
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Epson ECO Tank printer. ink cost $12 a bottle and lasts way longer than cartridge ink

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Printer ink cost is insane. At least that's what I remember the last time I owned a printer.
    I always used to say you are buying Ink and getting a free printer. But I've been refilling mine for well over 10 years and it has cost me very little to refill my ink. And that is one of the factors I am using in buying the new printer. I will not buy a printer that I can't refill myself. So as I search I also search for refillable cartridges for those printer models. But that's not my problem. It's the fact that every printer no matter how expensive they get still has these one star reviews that say how bad the printer is no matter how many good reviews there are.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Laser printer FTW.
    Truth.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Laser printers are too expensive and refilling them must be expensive too. This is for home use, not for business.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Laser printers are too expensive and refilling them must be expensive too.
    No they're not. We have an old HP lazerjet 4000 that we bought used for price of a cartridge, with a cartridge in it. My wife uses it for her work, carts last ages and are cheap to buy, It takes both HP and Lexmark carts. I think we've had it for about seven years and I reckon the total cost, including the machine, ink and parts, is maybe about 80 or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ...But that's not my problem. It's the fact that every printer no matter how expensive they get still has these one star reviews that say how bad the printer is no matter how many good reviews there are.
    Every product is going to have one star reviews. Quality Control is just not what it used to be plus these all-in-ones are doing at least two other functions. This means more things to fail. Just pick one and buy especially on the lower end of the spectrum.

****** to the dirt
    espon now makes printers with refillable ink that can last a year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    espon now makes printers with refillable ink that can last a year or two.
    I haven't come across any models like that. I've always had Epson printers and I've been able to refill them because I bought refillable cartridges and a chip resetter. But now Epson has made sure you won't be able to do that any more. So no more Epson for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I haven't come across any models like that. I've always had Epson printers and I've been able to refill them because I bought refillable cartridges and a chip resetter. But now Epson has made sure you won't be able to do that any more. So no more Epson for me.
    Epson ECO Tank printer. ink cost $12 a bottle and lasts way longer than cartridge ink

Epson EcoTank Printers: Cartridge-Free Printing - Best Buy

Maaaaan
    My only comment, would be to consider a printer with Google Cloud printing support.
    The reason I say this, is because with one of those, you can print from any device that can run Chrome.
    Linux, Andriod, Windows etc will all print from Chrome if it's a Google based printer.
    You just open Chrome and look for the cloud print option, and then browse for the saved file and print it.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    My only comment, would be to consider a printer with Google Cloud printing support.
    The reason I say this, is because with one of those, you can print from any device that can run Chrome.
    Linux, Andriod, Windows etc will all print from Chrome if it's a Google based printer.
    You just open Chrome and look for the cloud print option, and then browse for the saved file and print it.
    Although the printers I have in mind do have Google cloud support I really have no use for that. I don't eve know what that is used for. The only device I will be printing from is my desktop PC which will be hooked up with a USB cord. There is a laptop at home that can hookup through the WiFi network. They all use the Google Chrome browser. But that's only used for the internet so I don't see what Chrome has to do with it. What about when I'm printing from some other application?

Quote Originally Posted by Goinslo View Post

Epson EcoTank Printers: Cartridge-Free Printing - Best Buy
    I really don't need to have that kind of ink capacity. It's just for home printing once in a while.
    Last edited by Zomby Woof (MCM700); 03-22-2017 at 05:13 AM.

western NC
    Wait, so your first post is complaining about the cost of ink refills. Someone goes on to give you an option with super cheap ink refills, and you complain you don't need a printer that holds that much cheap ink? Madness, someone move this to the "Is this weird" thread ASAP. You're pretty much stuck between dirt cheap printers with exorbitant refill costs, or a mid priced printer with dirt cheap refills. Those are your options. I know which one I'll be buying for my next printer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Wait, so your first post is complaining about the cost of ink refills. Someone goes on to give you an option with super cheap ink refills, and you complain you don't need a printer that holds that much cheap ink? Madness, someone move this to the "Is this weird" thread ASAP. You're pretty much stuck between dirt cheap printers with exorbitant refill costs, or a mid priced printer with dirt cheap refills. Those are your options. I know which one I'll be buying for my next printer.
    I picked up my EcoTank printer about a year and a half ago for about $260 and have only used about 2/3 the ink, my previous printer was an HP and it cost about $25 for each high yield cartridge (4 total) and another $25 for the photo cartridge. I would have to replace them at least 2x a year. Do the math. BTW it also scans and copies.

****** to the dirt
    https://epson.ca/ecotank-super-tank-printers
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I've already found printers that have refillable cartridges available for them without having to go to those super tanks. I've been refilling my old Epson for years like that. I'm just having trouble deciding which printer to get because of the way that every single one has these one star reviews that say the printer is pretty bad in spite of all the 4 and 5 star reviews. Check out what my original post says.

****** to the dirt
    you can always use the

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
    Catch a tiger by the toe.
    If he hollers, let him go,
    Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

Meathod
    My Blog

western NC
    I've already found printers that have refillable cartridges available for them without having to go to those super tanks. I've been refilling my old Epson for years like that. I'm just having trouble deciding which printer to get because of the way that every single one has these one star reviews that say the printer is pretty bad in spite of all the 4 and 5 star reviews. Check out what my original post says.
    Well, okay, I can understand that. All of this stuff is made by 7 year olds in communist labor countries (perhaps, slight exaggeration), I doubt you'll find any that don't have some one star reviews. Just find one that's predominately four and five star reviews and go for it.

Pipe Dreamer
    Doesn't just about every consumer product have at least one bad review? You don't look at that, you look at the amount of good reviews.

Also; if it sucks that bad return it.

I want a printer and I see them at estate sales all the time for like $10. Don't know if they're good or junk, tho. Maybe I'll look into getting a new one.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    So can I ride past Zomby Woof's house and print a bunch of crap from my phone? Hey, ZW, you may need that Ecotank after all!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Consumer Reports had a guide to picking a printer to suit your needs not too long ago. Available at your local library!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Doesn't just about every consumer product have at least one bad review? You don't look at that, you look at the amount of good reviews.
    Unless of course the bad reviews far outweigh the good reviews. But even then I take it with a grain of salt. It could be the competition posting up fake reviews to make their own product look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.