Concerts!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Concerts!

All fat, all the time.

Concerts!

Woot, just picked up tickets for Motley Crue & Alice Cooper....last show in Spokane....
    can't wait! Never seen em before

****** to the dirt
    wait they let them out of the nursing home?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    wait they let them out of the nursing home?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

GONE
    Nov 2008

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Woot, just picked up tickets for Motley Crue & Alice Cooper....last show in Spokane....
    can't wait! Never seen em before
    It probably is their last show ever.

Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    It probably is their last show ever.
    Yes their farewell tour.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I didn't do it
    They'll come back with Vince Neil plus a bunch of 30 yr old replacements.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

9 lives
    I didn't know they were still together

Motley Crue began their Final Tour tour July 2, (this year)

Motley Crue calls it quits, announces 'final' tour - LA Times

Goodbye heroin hello geritol!

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I X girlfriends sister "did" Vince Neil back in the eighties. Hanging out in Hollywood and being a good looking girl its common place for rockers to invite them back to the house to party.

High Desert MTBer
    ...don't get me started...
    It's all Here. Now.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I think you should change your user name to "Mr. Music Knowitallatyourservice".

BTW, why aren't you out there working the Crue's final tour?

I'm just messing with you
    Some things make me glad I'm older than some people. 80s hair bands are one of those things.

Alice is getting kinda old to be rocking out, but his recent hire shows he knows how to put put asses in the seats <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gukcbAzkXcY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I think you should change your user name to "Mr. Music Knowitallatyourservice".

BTW, why aren't you out there working the Crue's final tour?
    Heheh! I served my time with them... more than once. Alice too, but that was back in the day... Spent a night in jail with Nikki Sixx, and spent many happy hours chatting with Alice, he's a true gentleman
    It's all Here. Now.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Heheh! I served my time with them... more than once. Alice too, but that was back in the day... Spent a night in jail with Nikki Sixx, and spent many happy hours chatting with Alice, he's a true gentleman
    I really think you should write a book. I bet it would be a very interesting read.

mtbr member
    You can't beat a good Crue show! I saw them in 83 or 84 with Ozzy. Tommy's drum solo and funky floating drum kit was the balls.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I saw Crue in '83 at the US Festival. They were just getting started. I don't even think that Shout at the Devil had been released yet.

I saw them again a few years back at the Ozz/Crue Fest in Devore, CA.

Meatbomb
    and spent many happy hours chatting with Alice, he's a true gentleman

I've met him multiple times at charity events and agree 100%

Hermit
    Saw Crue a couple of times back in the 80's, with Tommy getting more and more outrageous (or corny) drum riser stunts.
    Saw Alice a long time ago, with Motorhead if I remember. He's got such an amazing catalog of music he gets automatic respect from me.

Certainly miss the days of worthwhile tours. Don't see stuff like that anymore.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Did you know Alice Cooper is a Christian? Kinda weird, don't you think?

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Did you know Alice Cooper is a Christian? Kinda weird, don't you think?
    He's also an avid golfer. His handicap is around 5.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    He's also an avid golfer.
    I know! I reckon he could come out as a champion flower arranger and it would make zero difference to his fans ;0)

He's also an avid classic car enthusiast. His handicap is 7 on hand at one given time.

I didn't do it
    I know! I reckon he could come out as a champion flower arranger and it would make zero difference to his fans ;0)
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    He's also an avid classic car enthusiast. His handicap is 7 on hand at one given time.
    Quite a renaissance man, that Mr Cooper. Hell he may own a string of flower shops for all I know.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

High Desert MTBer
    Alice story:

In about '89, he was coming over to Europe to play a tour and I was putting it together for him. He arrived in England a few days before the production rehearsals were going to start at Pinewood Studios near London, and his manager called me up to ask if I knew somewhere he could get a round of golf in in the London area in the interim. Well I lived in Yorkshire, so did not have too many 'ins' around London, but my ex father-in-law used to live on the 17th fairway at Wentworth, (an historic course), and was a member there. He was also a very straight-laced retired Naval Commander.
    I told Alice's manager that I could ask Mike, my in-law, if he could get him on at Wentworth, so I called him up and asked if he could help...
    "Christopher", he said, "it's extraordinarily difficult to get on at Wentworth if you're not a member, but we have a foursome going out tomorrow, and we're missing a fourth". My heart started to sink.
    "If your chap cares to join us he's more than welcome!" My head was swimming at the thought of Alice and the retired Naval Officer on the golf course together, and any lingering hopes of building up any good impression as his son-in-law were fading rapidly. "I'll ask him" I said, reluctantly... "What's the chap's name?" he asked, innocently. "Alice" I mumbled, hoping he might not hear. "Alec?" he replied. "No, Alice", I said, a little more forcefully. "Spell that would you Christopher?" he asked... "A-L-I-C-E" I replied. "Alice? That's a girl's name!" he exclaimed, and my heart sank a little further. I tried to explain a little about him, but he wasn't hearing me too well, he seemed a little perplexed. "Tell him to be here at 8am!" he replied.

Anyway, I had made my bed and needed to lay in it as best I could, so I called Alice's manager back to explain the situation, trying to make the whole thing sound as unattractive as possible. To my surprise, and mounting dread, Alice was all over the idea, so I arranged a friend of mine with a limo to run him down to the course the next day early.

The next day we were due to start setting up for rehearsals, and Alice was supposed to join us after lunch. I had figured there would be enough time to get him back there if the round did not take any longer than normal.
    Time passed, lunch came and went, and after a couple of hours past the arranged time for his return, I had still heard nothing. Reluctantly I called my father-in-law, expecting something bad...

"Christopher!" he exclaimed after picking up the phone. "Your chap just left! Cracking fellow! Cracking good golfer! We won FOUR POUNDS!!!" I was slightly surprised. "We called him Al, do you think that was alright?" "I am sure that would have been OK", I replied.
    "You didn't tell me he was FAMOUS!" he added. "We went to the clubhouse for a snifter after the round," that would explain the tardiness I thought... "and the girls behind the bar went BERSERK!"

I breathed a sigh of relief. When I saw Alice a little later, I asked him if he had had a good time, and he chuckled. "Great guy!" he said. "We swapped addresses and he may come out to the desert to visit some time!"

My heart sank again...
    It's all Here. Now.

All fat, all the time.
    Awesome

mtbr member
    That's a great story.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

GONE
    Nov 2008
    He's also a historian. I learned that on Wayne's World.

I didn't do it
    He's also a historian. I learned that on Wayne's World.
    I didn't know that. I can't remember what he was doing in Wayne's World though.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I didn't know that. I can't remember what he was doing in Wayne's World though.
    Then see it again (with Brandy). It's a cult classic!

Apparently we did.

Alice story:

In about '89, he was coming over to Europe to play a tour and I was putting it together for him. He arrived in England a few days before the production rehearsals were going to start at Pinewood Studios near London, and his manager called me up to ask if I knew somewhere he could get a round of golf in in the London area in the interim. Well I lived in Yorkshire, so did not have too many 'ins' around London, but my ex father-in-law used to live on the 17th fairway at Wentworth, (an historic course), and was a member there. He was also a very straight-laced retired Naval Commander.
    I told Alice's manager that I could ask Mike, my in-law, if he could get him on at Wentworth, so I called him up and asked if he could help...
    "Christopher", he said, "it's extraordinarily difficult to get on at Wentworth if you're not a member, but we have a foursome going out tomorrow, and we're missing a fourth". My heart started to sink.
    "If your chap cares to join us he's more than welcome!" My head was swimming at the thought of Alice and the retired Naval Officer on the golf course together, and any lingering hopes of building up any good impression as his son-in-law were fading rapidly. "I'll ask him" I said, reluctantly... "What's the chap's name?" he asked, innocently. "Alice" I mumbled, hoping he might not hear. "Alec?" he replied. "No, Alice", I said, a little more forcefully. "Spell that would you Christopher?" he asked... "A-L-I-C-E" I replied. "Alice? That's a girl's name!" he exclaimed, and my heart sank a little further. I tried to explain a little about him, but he wasn't hearing me too well, he seemed a little perplexed. "Tell him to be here at 8am!" he replied.

Anyway, I had made my bed and needed to lay in it as best I could, so I called Alice's manager back to explain the situation, trying to make the whole thing sound as unattractive as possible. To my surprise, and mounting dread, Alice was all over the idea, so I arranged a friend of mine with a limo to run him down to the course the next day early.

The next day we were due to start setting up for rehearsals, and Alice was supposed to join us after lunch. I had figured there would be enough time to get him back there if the round did not take any longer than normal.
    Time passed, lunch came and went, and after a couple of hours past the arranged time for his return, I had still heard nothing. Reluctantly I called my father-in-law, expecting something bad...

"Christopher!" he exclaimed after picking up the phone. "Your chap just left! Cracking fellow! Cracking good golfer! We won FOUR POUNDS!!!" I was slightly surprised. "We called him Al, do you think that was alright?" "I am sure that would have been OK", I replied.
    "You didn't tell me he was FAMOUS!" he added. "We went to the clubhouse for a snifter after the round," that would explain the tardiness I thought... "and the girls behind the bar went BERSERK!"

I breathed a sigh of relief. When I saw Alice a little later, I asked him if he had had a good time, and he chuckled. "Great guy!" he said. "We swapped addresses and he may come out to the desert to visit some time!"

My heart sank again...

GONE
    Nov 2008
    ^Hey! I thought you said you were moving on to higher grounds?

****** to the dirt
    he did, he is typing that on the mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

I didn't do it
    Then see it again (with Brandy). It's a cult classic!
    Brilliant idea. I have her on speed dial so I'm thinking I'll give her a ring for tomorrow night (if she's not booked up that is, I think there's a Shriner's convention in town so we'll see). Wayne's World, Wayne's World, party time, excellent!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    I wish I had a story where my dad unexpectedly hit it off with a rock star.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    he did, he is typing that on the mountain.
    What's the link to that other site. Damn I can't pick it up this high up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

High Desert MTBer
    Tommy Lee Drum Kit Story...

Can't remember the year so well, must have been late 80s, but it was the first Europe leg of the Dr Feelgood tour, and it was at that time that the boys were taking a stab at trying to do the tour 'sober'. I use that punctuation because it was pretty much a thinly disguised attempt at such by some of them, if not all, as later biogs have described. Anyway, we came to the Zenith in Paris in the latter part of the leg, and were all a little jaded from the schedule, not least because we had been dealing with Tommy's behemoth drum kit affair in some of the crappy venues around Europe in those years before decent arenas. This thing was a bastard. It weighed several thousand pounds, and we constantly had to reinforce stages, floors and venue roofs to accommodate it. It was built so Tommy could strap himself in, and it would spin and turn at the same time as he was playing. The later version took off and tracked around the venue, but that's another story. This thing was designed so it could spin 2.5 times around its lateral axis, no more. The cable management system was such that any more would have uncomfortable effects...
    Paris was a better venue at the time, and we were more relaxed than we had been up til then. The other thing about Paris was that there was a very well-known dealer who was a permanent fixture there, and I know he did a very good, yet very surreptitious trade that day. Everyone was being extremely cagey and sweating a lot. The catering area was also not seeing a lot of action. To add to our woes, the bands management rep who was mainly responsible for keeping them on an even keel decided to pay a surprise visit that day. People were getting even more nervous...
    The band took the stage eventually, and once things were safely underway, I went into the office to take care of some stuff, and Rick the management guy came in to chat. After a while, Tommy started his drum solo, and all seemed to be going fine until suddenly the staccato drum sound was replaced by a cataclysmic cacaphony of gargantuan proportion. I was struck dumb. Of all f*cking nights for something like this to happen! Rick looked at me, and I looked at him for an interminable moment. " I guess you better go check that out" he observed. "yeah!" I said, and ran out to the stage.
    I was met by a lot of stressed-out techs running around like headless chickens. Thankfully the audio guys killed the noise, and Tommy started to bravely carry on playing with his hands, shouting to the sold-out crowd, but not being heard too well over the hubbub. He soldiered on as the roadies tried to figure out what needed to be done to salvage the show. Clyde the carpenter was standing gazing at the mess in front of him, a mass of torn mic lines waving in the air like some kind of prehistoric insect. "I know I only turned it twice!" he spluttered... Seems he had lost count in his drug-ravaged 'enthusiasm', and tore the 80-way cable to pieces. "Quick", I said to the nearest audio guy. "Go get as many mic cables as you can! Re-wire this sucker as quick as you can! Get help!"
    By this time, Tommy had almost run out of things to do up there, so he took off what few clothes he was wearing and started waving his penis around. The crowd went wild. I am sure some of them feared for their lives. With that he started to do something I have never witnessed before or since. He played a drum solo with his penis. It wasn't Ginger Baker by any means, but the effect was just as much a crowd-pleaser.
    We got the audio re-patched pretty quick, thankfully, and soon Tommy could rest his weary member and carry on with something like a normal solo, but without spinning. We soon changed the kit for the flying version after that.
    It's all Here. Now.

Tommy Lee Drum Kit Story...
    By this time, Tommy had almost run out of things to do up there, so he took off what few clothes he was wearing and started waving his penis around. The crowd went wild. I am sure some of them feared for their lives. With that he started to do something I have never witnessed before or since. He played a drum solo with his penis. It wasn't Ginger Baker by any means, but the effect was just as much a crowd-pleaser.
    We got the audio re-patched pretty quick, thankfully, and soon Tommy could rest his weary member and carry on with something like a normal solo, but without spinning. We soon changed the kit for the flying version after that.
    Now If he was playing the bass drum that would have been impressive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great stories Rockerc. You really should write
    a book, I'd buy it for sure.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Great stories Rockerc. You really should write
    a book, I'd buy it for sure.
    Me too. rockerc has a ton of great first hand stories that never fail to entertain.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    You really should write
    a book
    That's a good idea.

mtbr member
    I saw that in Cali....so it wan't the LSD ok good!! LOL

[QUOTE=rockerc;11461125]Tommy Lee Drum Kit Story...

It was built so Tommy could strap himself in, and it would spin and turn at the same time as he was playing. [QUOTE]
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

gobsmacked Moderator
    This dude looks terrible! Not sure if he's a musician or a producer. ugh! Half of his head is ears.

https://music.yahoo.com/news/picture...001400010.html

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    This dude looks terrible! Not sure if he's a musician or a producer. ugh! Half of his head is ears.

https://music.yahoo.com/news/picture...001400010.html
    Phil Spector, producer extraordinaire, human being: rather a fu*kup... Living proof that money and success often mask a deep well of dysfunction that acolytes will look at, feed, and perpetuate until the crap hits the fan.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Phil Spector, producer extraordinaire...
    Shot a girl in the head messing about with a gun. Got off with it, as famous people have a habit of doing, but they got him with a private prosecution.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Shot a girl in the head messing about with a gun. Got off with it, as famous people have a habit of doing, but they got him with a private prosecution.
    Where did you get that? Alan Jackson from the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office was the lead attorney that prosecuted him.

I fix choppers

Whatever turns you on...

...a quote from one of my former patients.

That said, I never liked hair metal in the 80's or otherwise and mostly viewed it as a joke. Now it's just an old joke.

I am going to see some bands from back in the day in the not terribly distant future. I saw GWAR many times including some of their first shows and my old hardcore band opened for Corrosion of Conformity on a few occasions. I don't see this as any nostalgic revivalist crap though as both bands are doing new things and have continued playing for over 30 years.

Rock on.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Where did you get that?
    I remember it. There was a program on the TV called 'The News' or something like that, they tended to talk about stuff that happened recently. Have I remembered it wrong?

gobsmacked Moderator
    I remember it. There was a program on the TV called 'The News' or something like that, they tended to talk about stuff that happened recently. Have I remembered it wrong?
    I think so. It's rare in the United States and I don't think it's provided for by statute in California. Maybe you're remembering that it took two trials to convict him? The first one resulted in a mistrial.

High Desert MTBer
    I think you may be thinking of old OJ... Da Joose!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    haha. corosion was a favorite for drunk backyard races on 50s. good times

I didn't do it
    Phil Spector was convicted of murder and is serving prison time. I believe the sentence is long enough that he will die there.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    I think so. It's rare in the United States and I don't think it's provided for by statute in California. Maybe you're remembering that it took two trials to convict him? The first one resulted in a mistrial.
    Ah, I stand corrected. Or sit, almost lie corrected ;0) I thought it was two trials but I thought the second one was a private prosecution. My memory is not very reliable.

All fat, all the time.
    Saw the show last night, was great!
    Glad I had ear plugs though, loud!!! (35 years to figure that out lol, ringing ears after a show stinks)

Saw the show last night, was great!
    Glad I had ear plugs though, loud!!! (35 years to figure that out lol, ringing ears after a show stinks)
    And what show are you speaking of Sir.

All fat, all the time.
    And what show are you speaking of Sir.
    Lol... See post #1...
    Alice Cooper and Motley Crue.

Lol... See post #1...
    Alice Cooper and Motley Crue.
    Wow that's a long wait for those old geezers. You're lucky they stayed alive long enough to make the show.

How was the show by the way. Any of them have to take a break mid song.

Don't take me wrong I've always been a fan of both bands.

mtbr member
    Always take earplugs to concerts now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My ears are still ringing from a ZZ Top concert I went
    to over 20 years ago.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    I saw Dick Dale 10 years ago, same thing. I had really good hearing until that night.

mtbr member
    I saw INXS years ago and realised you could walk right up to the edges of the stage as for some reason no one was standing there. When I got there I realised why! you were right in front of the speaker stacks and it was impossible to stand it for more than a minute or two.

Another stupidly loud gig was in a tiny local rock club up in Bathgate. Amazing guitarist called Paul Rose was playing with his band, I've seen him a few times, but this was the first time he'd been in this particular club. The club usually hosts metal bands and the volume was unbelievable. Even with earplugs you could feel weird vibrations inside your head, I've never experienced anything like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    I saw Dick Dale 10 years ago, same thing. I had really good hearing until that night.
    My eldest son has amazingly good hearing. Years ago he kept complaining about a loud whining noise from the TV in the kitchen. Neither of his teenage siblings can hear it. Eventually we relented and sent him for a hearing test and the doctor told him he has hearing that is as good as it it possible for human hearing to get! Despite working a loud gigs and playing loud music in his room at nineteen he is still complaining about the kitchen TV ;0)

banned
    I had to chaperone my 16 y.o. to an "all ages" concert at House of Blues last week. I hung out near the bar while she was down at the stage. The bartender came out and asked me if I wanted ear plugs.

Damn, that made me feel old.

I've seen so many rock concerts up close and personal I hear dead people talking in the middle of the night.

Maybe ear plugs are not such a bad idea.

mtbr member
    I keep telling my son that he should be looking after his hearing but he won't listen, if you pardon the pun! Youth is wasted on the young.

I didn't do it
    What!?! Speak up I can't hear you.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

All fat, all the time.
    Wow that's a long wait for those old geezers. You're lucky they stayed alive long enough to make the show.

How was the show by the way. Any of them have to take a break mid song.

Don't take me wrong I've always been a fan of both bands.
    They were both rally really good. Alice Cooper put on a great display, sounded good, and basically played all the hits everyone wanted to hear.
    Crue was loud! Had quite the guitar solo part way through, lots of screeching & odd noises lol, but still pretty cool. Tommy did the drum solo in the crazy spinning contraption up over the crowd....never seen anything like that before

They were both rally really good. Alice Cooper put on a great display, sounded good, and basically played all the hits everyone wanted to hear.
    Crue was loud! Had quite the guitar solo part way through, lots of screeching & odd noises lol, but still pretty cool. Tommy did the drum solo in the crazy spinning contraption up over the crowd....never seen anything like that before
    Nice!

Tommy Lee didn't play a drum solo using his Johnson did he. I've heard he's been known to do that. Seriously!

mtbr member
    Tommy Lee didn't play a drum solo using his Johnson did he.
    The art of musicianship is so lacking in the younger generation don't you think?! ;0)

All fat, all the time.
    Nice!

Tommy Lee didn't play a drum solo using his Johnson did he. I've heard he's been known to do that. Seriously!
    LOL nope not this time.

I did see STP years back, Scott Weiland finished the the last song coming out on stage wrapped in a US flag. Part way through the song, flag went bye-bye, all he had on was a tube sock LOL.

Members who have read this thread: 1