Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 508
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541

    Clean and Sober Thread

    Seen a lot of beer posts, and never one for the clean and sober rider.. Ill have 4yrs clean and sober time in November... Mountain biking literally helped save my life.. Rode a BMX bike in my kid days up to young adult.. Got a mountain bike thinking Itd give me some thrills again... It gave me a new outlet other than booze and dope and I havent looked back.. I ride one mile at a time and stay sober one day at a time..

    Currently riding a 2008 Kona Dawgma w/ Chris King hubs and headset, XO drivetrain, Stans wheels, Thomson seat post and stem... Have a 2011 Giant Trance X2 waiting on my final payment at my LBS.. 8 MORE DAYS! Sooo stoked on my new rig and another sober day to ride!

    Clean and Sober since 11/17/08
    Last edited by chadalex78; 05-27-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: had to add my clean date...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,799
    Good for you!
    Friend of Bill here.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,435
    Nice thread. Have not had a drink in 17 years. I have gotten to the point where I do not even think about it anymore. Stay out of the beer isle at the store and away from the groups after the races. Out of sight , out of mind.

    Here's to another 20 years for us all to be sober. Keep the rubber side down.

  4. #4
    I ride brikes, dingus'
    Reputation: scmclark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    271
    Good for you Chadalex!! Ive been sober for a year and six months. I quit because I needed to quit smoking cigarettes. When ever I drank, I HAVE to have a smoke. So, havent had a ciggy in about a year now. I got my new bike 8 months ago, and ive been riding the pizz out of it! I too ride a BMX bike when I was a kid and then bought Specialized Hardrock in the early 90's. Only really rode it around the streets. So, last year I decided to get back in shape and do some real riding!
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18
    Been clean for almost 4 months now. Both mountain biking and snowboarding have been a godsend to me since starting the road to recovery. The woods gives me a bigger rush than anything else ever could

  6. #6
    empty beer member
    Reputation: WrecklessREX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290
    Almost 2-1/2 years for me and the best ones yet. Its like winning the lottery!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbzarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    237
    16.5 years for me.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    621
    Been clean since April 6,2006

    Traded my dope addiction for MTB

    BEST TRADE IN HISTORY!!!

    Sent using BOTH my thumbs

  9. #9
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,205
    Good on you for cleaning up.

  10. #10
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,212
    Good for you for starting this up! Congrats!
    It's all Here. Now.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    240
    18 years on June 13th.

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,408
    thanks for putting up a thread about this! I know it's an unpopular way of living, so many congratulations and +reps are due.

  13. #13
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,212
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    thanks for putting up a thread about this! I know it's an unpopular way of living, so many congratulations and +reps are due.
    It may be unpopular for those that do not know about it! I think it is a wonderful way of living... I count myself lucky to be able to live sober!
    It's all Here. Now.

  14. #14
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Good for you!
    Friend of Bill here.
    Congrats to the OP, and give yourself a little credit Anonymous, theres a reason A.A. only has a 5% success rate.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,434
    Congrats man! I embrace this lifestyle as well. It's been rocky, but am feeling great!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    323
    June 1st will be 6 years for me. Great thread!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: luvdabeach2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    586
    To all living the sober life a very big thumbs up.

    26 yrs here just more than half my life.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

  18. #18
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,166
    Last alcohol was in 88 when the Army and the state of Illinois were kind enough to give me all kinds of incentives and financial rewards for reenlisting while staying home to finish college for 2 years full time.

    Alcohol effects everyone differently. I was the kind that could not stop after a few or even 10 drinks. Luckily I just had one last beer and amazingly only one after being sober for a period of a few weeks--shortly after the army sent me back to school-and I decided--I'm through.

    Tobacco was much harder and I quit several times before quitting for good around 92 or 93 probably.

    congrats to everyone that wanted to quit that did and remained quit.

  19. #19
    Movin' to Montana soon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by scmclark View Post
    Good for you Chadalex!! Ive been sober for a year and six months. I quit because I needed to quit smoking cigarettes. When ever I drank, I HAVE to have a smoke. So, havent had a ciggy in about a year now.
    This sounds a lot like myself,drinking wasn't the problem it was the cigarettes.There is no way I can ever drink without smoking so they both have to go.Feels great too.
    Don't miss the booze at all!

    Did you put on any weight after giving up smoking?Myself,I put on 20 pounds though I've been working it off the last six weeks,down about 5 lbs now.

    There is no way I could have gotten into this if I hadn't quit drinking and smoking.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    94
    2 and a half years for me. Don't miss the anxiety, hangovers, depression, mood swings....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Congrats to the OP, and give yourself a little credit Anonymous, theres a reason A.A. only has a 5% success rate.
    kinda dont get this quote bout the five percent success rate...

  22. #22
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,425
    I'm a former, 22-year meth addict/drinker/smoker, with 6 years clean now. I replaced all of that sh!t, the people, the drama, etc... with my bikes - my new addiction. Lost all 88 pounds of post-tobacco weight too. Oh well, you only live once...at least I'll die mashing up a steep hill instead of an alleyway, as a homeless street Urchin. Keep riding, OP!!!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

  23. #23
    empty beer member
    Reputation: WrecklessREX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    It may be unpopular for those that do not know about it! I think it is a wonderful way of living... I count myself lucky to be able to live sober!
    Right on!

    My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk or high. Quite lucky indeed.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I'm a former, 22-year meth addict/drinker/smoker, with 6 years clean now. I replaced all of that sh!t with my bikes....my new addiction. Lost all 88 pounds of post-tobacco weight too. Oh well, you only live once...at least I'll die mashing up a steep hill instead of an alleyway, as a homeless street Urchin. Keep riding, OP!!!
    whats OP?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    54
    Zach- That is awesome man congratulations. Can I ask how did you accomplish that?

  26. #26
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    whats OP?
    Original Poster(of thread).
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    106
    I will celebrate 10 years clean on June 1st, best decision I ever made.

  28. #28
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkn View Post
    Zach- That is awesome man congratulations. Can I ask how did you accomplish that?
    Simple...at 42 years old, I just got sick and tired of losing everything. When dope controls you - nothing else matters....nothing. One day, my Doctor told me I had congestive heart failure, stratospheric blood pressure, borderline diabetic, enlarged heart, etc....from 2-pack a day smoking and non-stop meth use. He said I had no more than five years tops, before everything starts failing.

    I looked at him and said, "Jeez....I'm not even DONE living yet!" One week later, I was in my second and final rehab. Afterwards, I bought a very heavy, 2006 Trek 4900 disc HT. Then - every crank revolution was a desperate gasp for air. Now, I ride five-hour MTB epics and road centuries. It's truly amazing how the human body can rebound.

    The rest is history....
    Last edited by Cayenne_Pepa; 05-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sickmak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    819
    I cannot claim to be 100% sober, but I RARELY drink and when I do it is at my house. Never if I'm going to drive, ride, or anything.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Good for you who have made hard changes.

    Fortunately, I've been sober my whole life. Parents taught me that there was no need for that stuff if you live your life right, and you can have plenty of 'fun' without it. The older I get, and the more people I know who's lives are ruined by substance abuse, the more grateful I am for their teachings. Trying to teach my kids the same.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  31. #31
    I4NI
    Reputation: S_Trek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,222
    Just about 6 yrs for me.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

  32. #32
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    well done mate, its not how you fall that counts its how you get up that matters....
    i spent 20 years on the hydro and about 10 years as a on n off meth user, along with about 5 other serious substances, but never alcohol...
    i was stuck in a savage cycle along with many mates, in those 20 years i dont think i had 1 straight day, its so ingrained in life here that without knowing it my life was passing me buy, and i was throwing a magic gift away..
    anyway with the help of a fine lady i have been 100% clean now for 2 1/2 years, and as long as i live i will never go back to that self inflicted pain, suffering and selfishness, even gave up the ciggies a year ago, and i feel like ive been reborn and im the luckiest man on earth...
    keep up the great work brother and all the others on here that fight with addiction, and we all have it in our soul to make that first hardest step n fight the fight......
    cheers from oz, and just believe in the magic of the soul, it can achive special things if you want it bad enough, happy days

  33. #33
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    kinda dont get this quote bout the five percent success rate...

    A 5% success rate is nothing more than the rate of spontaneous remission in alcoholics and drug addicts. That is, out of any given group of alcoholics or drug addicts, approximately 5% per year will just wise up, and quit killing themselves. They just get sick and tired of being sick and tired, and of watching their friends die. (And something between 1% and 3% of their friends do die annually, so that is a big incentive.) They often quit with little or no official treatment or help. Some actually detox themselves on their own couches, or in their own beds, or locked in their own closets. Often, they don't go to a lot of meetings. They just quit, all on their own, or with the help of a couple of good friends who keep them locked up for a few days while they go through withdrawal. A.A. and N.A. true believers insist that addicts can't successfully quit that way, but they do, every day.

    The Effectiveness of the Twelve-Step Treatment

    There are other problems I have w/ A.A. (they call alcoholism a disease, its NOT).

    You have to have a higher power, I do not believe in anything greater than myself - I'm an atheist.

    Bottom line - your trading one addiction for another (attending meetings), you have to quit and want to quit for yourself - no one can do it for you, not god, not A.A., not your friends, not your sponsor...and thats the bottom line.

    If A.A. works for you, great, stick with it if thats what you think you need and works for you - but, try to take a little credit for yourself - YOU DID IT, YOU QUIT, NOBODY DID IT FOR YOU - now, go out and treat and reward yourself with something, you deserve it.

    Me, myself...well, I'm going to go enjoy a nice ice cold beer...PEACE.

    -Jeff
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,806
    Don't mind if you have your vices, but I've been riding clean since 2008 - shhhhhhh.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

  35. #35
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    A 5% success rate is...There are other problems I have w/ A.A. (they call alcoholism a disease, its NOT)...Me, myself...well, I'm going to go enjoy a nice ice cold beer...PEACE.
    Hey Jeff, how many pounds of high grade marijuana did you grow and sell in the last 12 months? Can you post that pix of your grow operation?

  36. #36
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,679
    I'm going on about 5 months now. I finally quit after several attempts at AA and growing health problems. I remember a guy saying in AA that everyday is better then the next after he quit. This is after 15 years of sobriety. At the time I thought that was the stupidest thing i've ever heard. How can everyday be better then the one previous? But now im realizing how great it is to be sober and each day has been better then the last.




    .

  37. #37
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Hey Jeff, how many pounds of high grade marijuana did you grow and sell in the last 12 months? Can you post that pix of your grow operation?
    \http://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-of...en-790171.html
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  38. #38
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,408
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    It may be unpopular for those that do not know about it! I think it is a wonderful way of living... I count myself lucky to be able to live sober!
    oh, I know the lifestyle well. I did not drink at all until after I finished college. It seemed through hs and college that everyone I knew was getting plastered 5 nights a week. I knew people in high school who kept stashes of liquor in the school. I know exactly how unpopular I was because I didn't participate in that lifestyle. and I wasn't "churchy" enough to be popular among that crowd.

    even now, I don't claim that I "don't drink" but I limit myself to 1 drink at a time and it usually takes me a couple weeks to work through a 6 pack. nowadays I escape the "prude" label, but only just barely, so I am still acutely aware of how unpopular it is for folks to moderate or eliminate drinking.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    105
    Four years sober in AA coming up on August 30th....literally saved my life, I don't believe I would have lived another year at the rate I was going without ending up dead or in jail.

  40. #40
    .
    Reputation: Kneescar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    493
    I've been rid of a very severe alcohol/drug problem for just over seven years now. I took about two years getting my head together and my life in shape and then realized that my physical fitness was pathetic. To improve my health I started hiking at a local rec area. I then noticed that the bike guys were having more fun than I was. Next year I bought an entry level mountain bike. 4 years later I own two bikes, a BMC Trailfox and a Surly Cross-Check. Cycling is something that provides me with entertainment, exercise, and some great company. I'll be doing this until I can't anymore.

    One thing that I think is important to point out: I don't have any addictions these days. Not even to biking. I love it and try to get out as much as possible but I've been careful to not let it take precedence over that which is really important. Cycling is 4th or 5th on my list of what is really important.

    I enjoyed reading the tales here, keep up the good work, everyone.

  41. #41
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    This is a great thread! Thank you all for sharing your stories.

  42. #42
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    I hear cycling can be a drug, from what I hear or understand when you ride, you body releases the same chemicals as when you do heroin. I'm not a doctor, or scientist, so I dont know for sure, but thats what I heard.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    585
    Clean of all vices as of 2 weeks ago. It's been a rough road, but I'm getting there.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: StopTheExcuses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    136
    This is a good thread. So often partying is glamorized instead of getting your act together. Now, I'm not against partying by no means. Ive experimented with several different drugs and substances but I currently only drink a few beers every now and then, and I've never even had a puff from a single cigarette. (The green is another story.) I commend anybody who was going down a dead end road and has righted the ship so to speak. That deserves some attention and the people in this thread who have succeeded deserve serious props. Just because someone is clean and sober does not mean they are a stiff or prudish like most would suspect.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    97
    Hangovers, 2 dayers, WHO needs em! I turned to sex, once a day!

    20 years 6 months

  46. #46
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    .... I'm not a doctor, or scientist....
    You're a pot dealer, right?

  47. #47
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    You're a pot dealer, right?
    No, more like a pot patient.

    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  48. #48
    Florida Trail Monkey
    Reputation: Beckman4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    295

    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    No, more like a pot patient.

    So the question I have is (and it's a long one, so buckle up) - why did you find it necessary / worth your time / worth our time to come into a thread celebrating those who've found a way that was better than what they had, just to throw stones at how they got there? If they found a way to a better life, then what good does it do to say that their process is flawed because your an atheist? Then close with telling these guys that you're going to go have a beer, and lastly admit to being a pot smoker?

    What did you get out of it? And better yet, what did you think you added to the conversation except the same old BS "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid" type attitude?
    Last edited by Beckman4; 05-30-2012 at 05:10 PM.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    78
    22 years November 6th for me. Got out of rehab in Philadelphia at 26 years old, broke, bummed, and a mess. My boss at the time, let me keep my job (construction), and had a pay check waiting for me when I got out. He handed that cash to me and I was at a cross road, get drunk and high, or get on with life. I chose life, I went to the pawn shop and got my 1964 fender bronco out of hoc. Next door was a bike shop, blew the rest of the pay on a Diamond Back Apex with rigid fork.

    Every time i felt an urge, I rode, then rode some more. Didn't matter if it was trail, urban, hills, whatever. Riding that MTB saved my life, no doubt about it. Fast forward 22 years later, and I have a beautiful wife and kids, good work, and I live and ride some of the best trails in the west (Tahoe). I need it just as bad as I needed drugs and alcohol, I am completely addicted to the bicycle.

    I cannot begin to tell you what a wonderful life riding a bike has given me.

    Keep going strong all of you. Peace.

  50. #50
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    So the question I have is (and it's a long one, so buckle up) - why did you find it necessary / worth your time / worth our time to come into a thread celebrating those who've found a way that was better than what they had, just to throw stones at how they got there? If they found a way to a better life, then what good does it do to say that their process is flawed because your an atheist? Then close with telling these guys that you're going to go have a beer, and lastly admit to being a pot smoker?

    What did you get out of it? And better yet, what did you think you added to the conversation except the same old BS "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid" type attitude?
    My scentiments, exactly....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    No, more like a pot patient.

    Yup, I'm with ya on that. Sad indeed. I celebrate all of you sober folk as a person who's career is working with those who are addicted. Keep taking the harder path and living better for it!

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Not how that was supposed to quote. I was quoting someone disputing him. I'm with the sober folks, not the pot "patient"

  53. #53
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    So the question I have is (and it's a long one, so buckle up) - why did you find it necessary / worth your time / worth our time to come into a thread celebrating those who've found a way that was better than what they had, just to throw stones at how they got there? If they found a way to a better life, then what good does it do to say that their process is flawed because your an atheist? Then close with telling these guys that you're going to go have a beer, and lastly admit to being a pot smoker?

    What did you get out of it? And better yet, what did you think you added to the conversation except the same old BS "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid" type attitude?

    If I remember, I said something to the effect if A.A. works for you go for it. Do I agree with it, no, do I agree with the spiritual/religious ideas attached to A.A., hell no. Unfortunatly, I cant really answer your question because of the religious ideas attached to it, becaose we arnt supposed to talk religion/politics per the TOS agreement we all agreed to when we became MTBR members. Yes, I know A.A. is flawed, science has proved that too me beyond a shadow of doubt, and thats about as close as I can come to answering your question. As far as pot goes...its no more a drug than cigaretts, alcohol, or coffee, whats your point?

    Actually, I am enlightened somewhat, I have studied all the major world religions, read many of the great psychology books out there, and I will admit, I take pride in that, I worked very, very hard to learn what I have and be where I'm at and be the person I am. If you don't agree or have a problem with what I've said, thats ok, thats what makes life, LIFE, we are all different, we have all been influenced by society in our own way to have different opinions and ideas we have formed based on what we know, or, don't know.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 05-30-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbzarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    So the question I have is (and it's a long one, so buckle up) - why did you find it necessary / worth your time / worth our time to come into a thread celebrating those who've found a way that was better than what they had, just to throw stones at how they got there? If they found a way to a better life, then what good does it do to say that their process is flawed because your an atheist? Then close with telling these guys that you're going to go have a beer, and lastly admit to being a pot smoker?

    What did you get out of it? And better yet, what did you think you added to the conversation except the same old BS "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid" type attitude?
    I agree with you.

    A lot of people struggle with various addictions in their lives. Why someone would want to pipe in to this thread in such a fashion. Boasting of their habits they have chosen to keep/rub in others faces rather than being positive and supportive to those who have overcome some major obstacle in their personal lives.

    They need to go find another thead to poach upon.

  55. #55
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzarg View Post
    I agree with you.

    A lot of people struggle with various addictions in their lives. Why someone would want to pipe in to this thread in such a fashion. Boasting of their habits they have chosen to keep/rub in others faces rather than being positive and supportive to those who have overcome some major obstacle in their personal lives.

    They need to go find another thead to poach upon.

    Marijuana isnt an addiction, no more than ice cream, and for me, alcohol is a choice. I've learned to control my drinking (I used to end up in jail 1-2 times a month because of drinking, I havent been to jail over 6 years now, and I still drink [having a beer now in fact]). I've quit drinking for at least a year simply because I wanted to without help from anyone...it was a CHOICE! And thats reality of it my friend. If I can do it, anyone can.

    For those who choose to remain sober, thats a good thing for YOU, my hats off to you, good luck my friends.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    224
    Clean and sober for 6.5 years. The world and my life are better because of this. I traded a 12 pack for 8 cool Mountain Bikes and a couple of Road Bikes.

    Good luck to everybody just starting out.

  57. #57
    Florida Trail Monkey
    Reputation: Beckman4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    295

    What I thought

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    If I remember, I said something to the effect if A.A. works for you go for it. Do I agree with it, no, do I agree with the spiritual/religious ideas attached to A.A., hell no. Unfortunatly, I cant really answer your question because of the religious ideas attached to it, becaose we arnt supposed to talk religion/politics per the TOS agreement we all agreed to when we became MTBR members. Yes, I know A.A. is flawed, science has proved that too me beyond a shadow of doubt, and thats about as close as I can come to answering your question. As far as pot goes...its no more a drug than cigaretts, alcohol, or coffee, whats your point?

    Actually, I am enlightened somewhat, I have studied all the major world religions, read many of the great psychology books out there, and I will admit, I take pride in that, I worked very, very hard to learn what I have and be where I'm at and be the person I am. If you don't agree or have a problem with what I've said, thats ok, thats what makes life, LIFE, we are all different, we have all been influenced by society in our own way to have different opinions and ideas we have formed based on what we know, or, don't know.
    That's pretty much what I thought. You've read and studied the world just enough to think you are enlightened. Trust me, you're not. Normally those who go around saying that they've studied the major world religions, blah, blah blah, have really only come up with just enough information to walk around treating everyone else like they don't know what they know. Most of the time, those people don't have a clue how to be a real person in the real world. You strike me as one of those people. But as you say, that's my opinion, and I may be very wrong, but everyone's due their opinion.

    But you still didn't answer my question. Why did you feel the need to inject your "enlightened" opinion on those who were just trying to shout out something positive, and honestly, just get some love from those who understand where they're coming from?

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,870
    Im very much an athiest... but if someone finds god and it helps them get over addition, good for them. Whatever gets you there. You're being a total dick crapping on a thread of this nature.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    So the question I have is (and it's a long one, so buckle up) - why did you find it necessary / worth your time / worth our time to come into a thread celebrating those who've found a way that was better than what they had, just to throw stones at how they got there? If they found a way to a better life, then what good does it do to say that their process is flawed because your an atheist? Then close with telling these guys that you're going to go have a beer, and lastly admit to being a pot smoker?

    What did you get out of it? And better yet, what did you think you added to the conversation except the same old BS "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid" type attitude?
    Im not against medical marijuana... but this dude is a ****** for comin in on this thread and trashing what people do to make theyre lives better.. I didnt start the thread for people awready struggling to get bashed.. Its for support.. Only a moron couldnt figure that out..

  60. #60
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    Im not against medical marijuana... but this dude is a ****** for comin in on this thread and trashing what people do to make theyre lives better.. I didnt start the thread for people awready struggling to get bashed.. Its for support.. Only a moron couldnt figure that out..
    + rep for you

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbzarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    237

    That used to be me...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Marijuana isnt an addiction, no more than ice cream, and for me, alcohol is a choice. I've learned to control my drinking (I used to end up in jail 1-2 times a month because of drinking, I havent been to jail over 6 years now, and I still drink [having a beer now in fact]). I've quit drinking for at least a year simply because I wanted to without help from anyone...it was a CHOICE! And thats reality of it my friend. If I can do it, anyone can.

    For those who choose to remain sober, thats a good thing for YOU, my hats off to you, good luck my friends.
    That's funny, because that is exactly what I thought Then I couldn't go a day without it. That was when I decided I didn't need it. Besides, it only makes you lazy.

    Both alcohol and marijuana are a substance your body can get addicted to. Oh yeah, next you will tell us that smoking weed doesn't cause lung issues

    At least there is one thing we have in common - riding

    Don't impose your BS here. Please take it some where else. That's my .02

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    So the question I have is (and it's a long one, so buckle up) - why did you find it necessary / worth your time / worth our time to come into a thread celebrating those who've found a way that was better than what they had, just to throw stones at how they got there? If they found a way to a better life, then what good does it do to say that their process is flawed because your an atheist? Then close with telling these guys that you're going to go have a beer, and lastly admit to being a pot smoker?

    What did you get out of it? And better yet, what did you think you added to the conversation except the same old BS "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid" type attitude?
    Since we're asking pointless questions in an effort to make a point, I'll play too. Why did the OP decide to start a thread about drug and alcohol addiction on a mountain biking general discussion section? There's an off-topic section for threads like these.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Since we're asking pointless questions in an effort to make a point, I'll play too. Why did the OP decide to start a thread about drug and alcohol addiction on a mountain biking general discussion section? There's an off-topic section for threads like these.
    If yo check out my OP... It was more about how MTB helped save my life... The other just kind of comes along with the territory I guess..

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Talking about how MTB has saved your life is really insensitive to those people who have family and friends that have died from mountain biking... More people die from mountain biking every year than from smoking pot...

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Talking about how MTB has saved your life is really insensitive to those people who have family and friends that have died from mountain biking... More people die from mountain biking every year than from smoking pot...
    now your just being goofy...

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    now your just being goofy...
    Agreed.
    I just think if this thread has to exist somewhere on a mountain biking forum, it should go in the off-topic section. It's your choice to publicize your struggles, but some will see your struggles simply as a weakness. Some people will drink 10-20 drinks/night almost every night for several years straight, and then they'll do something else with their time and not drink and won't understand withdrawals at all because they never had them. They just were in a different situation and drinking a lot was going to get in the way of what they were trying to accomplish. They can't understand how anything other than their own brain controls their actions and I am in that category of people...
    At least with alcohol, meth, coke, nicotine, caffeine (all drugs except pot), there is scientific evidence of chemically induced addiction. But when people start going off about someone talking about pot in this context, I can't take them seriously because pot is less harmless than a large number of prescription and legal drugs and has not been shown to have any physically addictive properties...
    The arguments made about the ineffectiveness of AA and the indoctrination process used I thought were valid and on topic, yet that person was attacked because it was deemed insensitive by some... If you're going to start a thread, I think it's adult like to be open to all different views, even if they are opposite of yours. If you're just out there looking for a long series of pats on the back for your sobriety, then go to your support group...

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    [QUOTE=danhasdrums;9363095]Agreed.
    I just think if this thread has to exist somewhere on a mountain biking forum, it should go in the off-topic section. It's your choice to publicize your struggles, but some will see your struggles simply as a weakness. Some people will drink 10-20 drinks/night almost every night for several years straight, and then they'll do something else with their time and not drink and won't understand withdrawals at all because they never had them. They just were in a different situation and drinking a lot was going to get in the way of what they were trying to accomplish. They can't understand how anything other than their own brain controls their actions and I am in that category of people...
    At least with alcohol, meth, coke, nicotine, caffeine (all drugs except pot), there is scientific evidence of chemically induced addiction. But when people start going off about someone talking about pot in this context, I can't take them seriously because pot is less harmless than a large number of prescription and legal drugs and has not been shown to have any physically addictive properties...
    The arguments made about the ineffectiveness of AA and the indoctrination process used I thought were valid and on topic, yet that person was attacked because it was deemed insensitive by some... If you're going to start a thread, I think it's adult like to be open to all different views, even if they are opposite of yours. If you're just out there looking for a long series of pats on the back for your sobriety, then go to your support group...[/QUOTE

    All views are welcome.. But reaction to said views is what is to be expected... It would be like talking pro Nazi in a Jewish thread.. Its just kind of stupid to do...

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    So you're relating people who like to enjoy alcohol and/or pot to Nazi's? Now who's being goofy?

    I agree everything is playing out exactly as expected in this thread.
    People talking about how sobriety is good for them. Sober people saying they feel sorry for people who aren't sober, followed by people who don't believe in 100% sobriety defending their way of life, etc...
    I agree it's all exactly as expected... Which is why I'm surprised jeff is getting so much attention with his position. I'm just here to poke fun at those who are acting surprised and offended that someone would take that route...

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    So you're relating people who like to enjoy alcohol and/or pot to Nazi's? Now who's being goofy?

    I agree everything is playing out exactly as expected in this thread.
    People talking about how sobriety is good for them. Sober people saying they feel sorry for people who aren't sober, followed by people who don't believe in 100% sobriety defending their way of life, etc...
    I agree it's all exactly as expected... Which is why I'm surprised jeff is getting so much attention with his position. I'm just here to poke fun at those who are acting surprised and offended that someone would take that route...
    Yeah, the Nazi thing might have been a little much... I know its hard for people who havent been addicted to anything to understand. There are "normal" people that can drink or do what ever recreational drug they choose and not have a problem.. How could a person like that understand? they couldn't..I dont expect them to... Havent really seen anyone feeling "sorry" for people that arent sober.. Just people relating to one another through MTBing.. Whether or not your sober doesnt change the fact that we are all here because we love MTBing... It does different things for different people. For me, It was definitely a intricate part of changing my way of life... Like I said, my OP was just to discuss how MTB changed my life and I was interested in how it changed others. Nothing more. I knew I wasnt the only one and knew someone could relate. Maybe I shouldnt of put it on the General Discussion forum... My bad.

  70. #70
    empty beer member
    Reputation: WrecklessREX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Agreed.
    then go to your support group...
    Thats kind of what this is...

    Jeff came in acting like a total ****** with views opposite of clean and sober, then through in how he knows people that are and how they did it in an attempt to validate his views.

    My sobriety is one of if not the most important thing in my life as I'm sure it is to many others here.

    Btw riding helps me set goals to help me stay sober and it was a lot more difficult before I started mountain biking.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    585
    Earlier this month I have been diagnosed with Depersonalization/Derealization as a result of smoking weed for too long. You're entitled to an opinion but considering that people are here to share of their experiences while you just justify your owns reasons to smoke pot, it really just makes you look like a POS. I never thought that smoking pot would ever mess me up, and after many years of smoking it, I'm paying for it now. I can get into the science behind this all if you want to take this to PM. I'm sure everyone in here would appreciate it if you would stop shitting on those who are recovering from their own vices.


    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Agreed.
    I just think if this thread has to exist somewhere on a mountain biking forum, it should go in the off-topic section. It's your choice to publicize your struggles, but some will see your struggles simply as a weakness. Some people will drink 10-20 drinks/night almost every night for several years straight, and then they'll do something else with their time and not drink and won't understand withdrawals at all because they never had them. They just were in a different situation and drinking a lot was going to get in the way of what they were trying to accomplish. They can't understand how anything other than their own brain controls their actions and I am in that category of people...
    At least with alcohol, meth, coke, nicotine, caffeine (all drugs except pot), there is scientific evidence of chemically induced addiction. But when people start going off about someone talking about pot in this context, I can't take them seriously because pot is less harmless than a large number of prescription and legal drugs and has not been shown to have any physically addictive properties...
    The arguments made about the ineffectiveness of AA and the indoctrination process used I thought were valid and on topic, yet that person was attacked because it was deemed insensitive by some... If you're going to start a thread, I think it's adult like to be open to all different views, even if they are opposite of yours. If you're just out there looking for a long series of pats on the back for your sobriety, then go to your support group...

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,870
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    So you're relating people who like to enjoy alcohol and/or pot to Nazi's? Now who's being goofy?

    I agree everything is playing out exactly as expected in this thread.
    People talking about how sobriety is good for them. Sober people saying they feel sorry for people who aren't sober, followed by people who don't believe in 100% sobriety defending their way of life, etc...
    I agree it's all exactly as expected... Which is why I'm surprised jeff is getting so much attention with his position. I'm just here to poke fun at those who are acting surprised and offended that someone would take that route...
    Not everyone gets hooked on booze and drugs, a lot of people do.

    Not everyone breaks their spine and never walks again from biking. A lot have.

    People ranting about how they still drink and use drugs in a thread like this is pretty similar to talking about how nice your jog around the block was to a buncha paraplegics after bike accidents.

    I still drink, and the occasional bit more. Its not a problem for *me*. I have the sense to understand that it is a problem for others... you guys probably should too. Sobriety after addiction isnt a choice, its not some new lifestyle that you adopt.. its a new way of life you have to accept or fall straight back into that hole. Alcoholics and ex users dont have the option to just go have one beer on a casual weekend.

    You're just not even sort of on the same page.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,148
    Very cool thread.

    There is one in the beer section that is similar call the "Drink Less Support Thread." Might find some more similar folks in there.

    I still drink and brew beer. I have never touched any other drugs in my life, and I have an average of two beers a day or so. I have thought about cutting it out. Not because I am addicted to it, but for the weight loss benefits. I usually do a week or two every month with no beer at all though. I am always amazed how well I am riding at the end of that period.

    Keep up the good work guys. You're an inspiration.

  74. #74
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzarg View Post
    That's funny, because that is exactly what I thought Then I couldn't go a day without it. That was when I decided I didn't need it. Besides, it only makes you lazy.

    Both alcohol and marijuana are a substance your body can get addicted to. Oh yeah, next you will tell us that smoking weed doesn't cause lung issues

    At least there is one thing we have in common - riding

    Don't impose your BS here. Please take it some where else. That's my .02
    Asthma



    More than 15 million Americans are affected by asthma. Smoking cannabis (the “raw drug” as the AMA called it) would be beneficial for 80% of them and add 30-60 million person-years in the aggregate of extended life to current asthmatics over presently legal toxic medicines such as the Theophylline prescribed to children.

    “Taking a hit of marijuana has been known to stop a full blown asthma attack.” (Personal communication with Dr. Donald Tashkin, December 12, 1989 and December 1, 1997.) The use of cannabis for asthmatics goes back thousands of years in literature. American doctors of the last century wrote glowing reports in medical papers that asthma sufferers of the world would ”bless” Indian hemp (cannabis) all their lives.

    Today, of the 16 million American asthma sufferers, only Californians, with a doctor’s recommendation, can legally grow and use cannabis medicines, even though it is generally the most effective treatment for asthma.

    (Tashkin, Dr. Donald, UCLA Pulmonary Studies (for smoked marijuana), 1969-2007; Ibid., asthma studies, 1969-1976; Cohen, Sidney, & Stillman, Therapeutic Potential of Marijuana, 1976; Life Insurance Actuarial rates; Life shortening effects of childhood asthma, 1983.)

    Lung Cleaner & Expectorant



    Cannabis is the best natural expectorant to clear the human lungs of smog, dust and the phlegm associated with tobacco use.

    Marijuana smoke effectively dilates the airways of the lungs, the bronchi, opening them to allow more oxygen into the lungs. It is also the best natural dilator of the tiny airways of the lungs, the bronchial tubes – making cannabis the best overall bronchial dilator for 80% of the population (the remaining 20% sometimes show minor negative reactions).

    (See section on asthma – a disease that closes these passages in spasms – UCLA Tashkin studies, 1969-97; U.S. Costa Rican, 1980-82; Jamaican studies 1969-74,76.)

    Statistical evidence – showing up consistently as anomalies in matched populations -indicates that people who smoke tobacco cigarettes are usually better off and will live longer if they smoke cannabis moderately, too. (Jamaican, Costa Rican studies.)

    Millions of Americans have given up or avoided smoking tobacco products in favor of cannabis, which is not good news to the powerful tobacco lobby. A turn-of-the-century grandfather clause in U.S. tobacco law allows 400 to 6,000 additional chemicals to be added. Additions since then to the average tobacco cigarette are unknown, and the public in the U.S. has no right to know what they are.

    Many joggers and marathon runners feel cannabis use cleans their lungs, allowing better endurance.

    The evidence indicates that cannabis use will probably increase these outlaw American marijuana-users’ lives by about one to two years – yet they may lose their rights, property, children, state licenses, etc., just for using that safest of substances: cannabis.

    Chapter 7 « JackHerer.com

    The Hype:

    More Harmful Than Tobacco

    According to the American Lung Association, cigarettes and tobacco smoking related diseases kill more than 430,000 Americans every year. Fifty million Americans smoke, and 3,000 teens start each day. The Berkeley carcinogenic tar studies of the late 1970s concluded that “marijuana is one-and-a-half times more carcinogenic than tobacco.”

    The Fact:

    Not One Documented Case of Cancer



    There are lung irritants involved in any smoke. Cannabis smoke causes mild irritation to the large airways of the lungs. Symptoms disappear when smoking is discontinued.

    However, unlike tobacco smoke, cannabis smoke does not cause any changes in the small airways, the area where tobacco smoke causes long term and permanent damage. Additionally, a tobacco smoker will smoke 20 to 60 cigarettes a day, while a heavy marijuana smoker may smoke five to seven joints a day, even less when potent high-quality flower tops are available.

    While tens of millions of Americans smoke pot regularly, cannabis has never caused a known case of lung cancer as of December 1997, according to America’s foremost lung expert, Dr. Donald Tashkin of UCLA. He considers the biggest health risk to the lungs would be a person smoking 16 or more “large” spliffs a day of leaf/bud because of the hypoxia of too much smoke and not enough oxygen.

    Tashkin feels there is no danger for anyone to worry about potentiating emphysema “in any way” by the use of marijuana totally the opposite of tobacco.

    Cannabis is a complex, highly evolved plant. There are some 400 compounds in its smoke. Of these, 60 are presently known to have therapeutic value.

    Cannabis may also be eaten, entirely avoiding the irritating effects of smoke. However, four times more of the active ingredients of smoked cannabis are absorbed by the human body than when the same amount is eaten. And the prohibition inflated price of black market cannabis, combined with harsh penalties for cultivation, prevent most persons from being able to afford the luxury of a less efficient, though healthier, means of ingestion.

    Chapter 15 « JackHerer.com

    As far as addiction goes, you proved my point...

    That was when I decided I didn't need it.
    (Like I said earlyer, its a CHOICE.)
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 05-31-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  75. #75
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    That's pretty much what I thought. You've read and studied the world just enough to think you are enlightened. Trust me, you're not. Normally those who go around saying that they've studied the major world religions, blah, blah blah, have really only come up with just enough information to walk around treating everyone else like they don't know what they know. Most of the time, those people don't have a clue how to be a real person in the real world. You strike me as one of those people. But as you say, that's my opinion, and I may be very wrong, but everyone's due their opinion.

    But you still didn't answer my question. Why did you feel the need to inject your "enlightened" opinion on those who were just trying to shout out something positive, and honestly, just get some love from those who understand where they're coming from?
    I didnt say I was enlightned, you did (all I did was use your own words to prove a point)...

    "hey I know better than you I'm an enlightened modern type guy who thinks the rest of the world is stupid"
    And thats part of the point, its your opinion, you dont know me, or yourself well enough to truely make an accurate assumption (heck, this even applys to me [to be truely wise, is to know, that there are many things you dont know.], And I'm always learning and growing, just like you)...good luck bra.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 05-31-2012 at 05:11 AM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  76. #76
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Marijuana isnt an addiction, no more than ice cream, and for me, alcohol is a choice. I've learned to control my drinking (I used to end up in jail 1-2 times a month because of drinking, I havent been to jail over 6 years now, and I still drink [having a beer now in fact]). I've quit drinking for at least a year simply because I wanted to without help from anyone...it was a CHOICE! And thats reality of it my friend. If I can do it, anyone can.

    For those who choose to remain sober, thats a good thing for YOU, my hats off to you, good luck my friends.
    Jeff, mate to say grass is as addictive as icecream is pretty funny n ill informed....
    mate here in oz we smoke great hydro, i smoked an ounce a week, about 30-40 cones aday for 20 years, of **** hot grass, ive never had a yank mate over here who wasnt totally blown away by our weed it known the world over.
    i have also used meth for ten years, a massive amount of blow n smack......
    yes there are a few possitives to weed but the negatives out weigh it 10 to 1.
    its bloody addictive, and i know a few that it has ****ed right up..
    im proud to say im totally clean after a 1-2 years
    it may not be as addictive as smack n meth, but i have used abused n got off all of them on my own, n ill tell you that hydro is a hard drug to crack after 20 years of heavy use.
    you can pull what ever stats you want to champion your love of weed n all its great points, but mate i have been there n done that in a big way, n weed is nothin more than using it as crutches to get through life, mate enjoy life n face it while you got it, or jeff, it will pass you by mate, and in a blur your loved ones n friends will never get the best out of you n nor will you mate.......
    i respect your championing of weed, good for you, but how bout takin on life on your own mate without crutches of weed to hold you up.......
    i wasted 20 years that i will never get back, mate if you chose to do that its up to you, but your missin out , n i hope for the best for you mate, cheers n no hard feelins.....

  77. #77
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Jeff, mate to say grass is as addictive as icecream is pretty funny n ill informed....
    mate here in oz we smoke great hydro, i smoked an ounce a week, about 30-40 cones aday for 20 years, of **** hot grass, ive never had a yank mate over here who wasnt totally blown away by our weed it known the world over.
    i have also used meth for ten years, a massive amount of blow n smack......
    yes there are a few possitives to weed but the negatives out weigh it 10 to 1.
    its bloody addictive, and i know a few that it has ****ed right up..
    im proud to say im totally clean after a 1-2 years
    it may not be as addictive as smack n meth, but i have used abused n got off all of them on my own, n ill tell you that hydro is a hard drug to crack after 20 years of heavy use.
    you can pull what ever stats you want to champion your love of weed n all its great points, but mate i have been there n done that in a big way, n weed is nothin more than using it as crutches to get through life, mate enjoy life n face it while you got it, or jeff, it will pass you by mate, and in a blur your loved ones n friends will never get the best out of you n nor will you mate.......
    i respect your championing of weed, good for you, but how bout takin on life on your own mate without crutches of weed to hold you up.......
    i wasted 20 years that i will never get back, mate if you chose to do that its up to you, but your missin out , n i hope for the best for you mate, cheers n no hard feelins.....



    Nicely done.

  78. #78
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    A shame to see this thread derailed, I hope it gets moved to the Off Camber forum (where it probably should have been) and not sent to the Recycle Bin because of all the weed discussion, which usually happens when that comes up.

    And the reason why is because it is an illegal activity and is against the forum rules, no matter what the status is in California. MTBR isn't a California-Only website.

    This thread can be extremely positive and I hope it can continue on without being shitcanned, it could be looked at as a sort of source of support for like-minded folks.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Marijuana isnt an addiction, no more than ice cream, and for me, alcohol is a choice. I've learned to control my drinking (I used to end up in jail 1-2 times a month because of drinking, I havent been to jail over 6 years now, and I still drink [having a beer now in fact]). I've quit drinking for at least a year simply because I wanted to without help from anyone...it was a CHOICE! And thats reality of it my friend. If I can do it, anyone can.

    For those who choose to remain sober, thats a good thing for YOU, my hats off to you, good luck my friends.
    If not going to jail is your litmus test for a successful life, you might want to re-evaluate things. Also, if alcohol caused you to end up in jail and you still drink, enlightened is the farthest thing from where you are.

  80. #80
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,576
    I have two good friends I met after they became sober. The stories they tell me are astounding, both were drinking a quart of vodka every day, keeping a bottle under their bed to take a few pulls in the middle of the night (to calm the shakes), blacking out every day by 3pm. They quit when their docs promised them they'd be dead in a few years at best. Their stories help me realize my boss at the time was an alkie too. I tried to point it out to a few management types, esp when he tried to kill himself the first time but nobody took it seriously. He ended up losing his job (VP of sales, ~$250-$300K/yr). He killed himself a year later, left behind a wife and three teenagers.

    Stay Strong all you sober MTB'ers, I know what you mean about booze going hand-in-hand with MTB events, I can't drink anymore either (blood thinner for life). I had to quit going to bars with my drinking buddies, just no fun being the guy with a soda water. I went from being a daily drinker to a teetotaler when I was admitted to the hospital. It wasn't as easy as some might think.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Jeff, mate to say grass is as addictive as icecream is pretty funny n ill informed....
    mate here in oz we smoke great hydro, i smoked an ounce a week, about 30-40 cones aday for 20 years, of **** hot grass, ive never had a yank mate over here who wasnt totally blown away by our weed it known the world over.
    i have also used meth for ten years, a massive amount of blow n smack......
    yes there are a few possitives to weed but the negatives out weigh it 10 to 1.
    its bloody addictive, and i know a few that it has ****ed right up..
    im proud to say im totally clean after a 1-2 years
    it may not be as addictive as smack n meth, but i have used abused n got off all of them on my own, n ill tell you that hydro is a hard drug to crack after 20 years of heavy use.
    you can pull what ever stats you want to champion your love of weed n all its great points, but mate i have been there n done that in a big way, n weed is nothin more than using it as crutches to get through life, mate enjoy life n face it while you got it, or jeff, it will pass you by mate, and in a blur your loved ones n friends will never get the best out of you n nor will you mate.......
    i respect your championing of weed, good for you, but how bout takin on life on your own mate without crutches of weed to hold you up.......
    i wasted 20 years that i will never get back, mate if you chose to do that its up to you, but your missin out , n i hope for the best for you mate, cheers n no hard feelins.....
    Very nicely put.

  82. #82
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Nicely done.
    AZ.MTNS, Thanks mate appreciate it alot.

    It really pains me to see a guy get on this blog to champion the great things about weed..
    its hes right n i respect that, and yes it does help with some things such as pain relief and it does open the lungs in the short term for people with some other health issues, but it says a few things about jeff that i will keep to myself....
    I dont know anybody on this forum, nor do i care about what others think of me on here, so i am happy to admit that my addictions over the years have cost me alot of things in life, although im now moving on and doing my best to repair the selfish and unforgivable damage that i have directly and indirectly caused my family, friends n life.....
    When you use drugs every day you live in a bubble that you cant see out of, but others can see into. you think you can see out at the time, but its only till you get off them that you realise that you have been fooling yourself....
    Im not here to preach, cause most have demons at points in their life n its part of learning for some including me....
    Life is a bloody precious gift, that can be gone in the blink of an eye..
    If we were meant to use dope every day, we would have been born stoned or wired or on the nod, but we were born with clarity n vision to take in this magic place,....
    i dont have a faith, nor have i ever been to rehab, but i have a soul n spirit, and this was my greatest friend apart from a great lady in getting clean.......
    Im not going to calculate the amount of weed n heavy gear ive used in those 20 years, cause most wouldnt comprahend it or believe it, but in the end it steals your life away, and weed alone is enough to do that, easy......
    NOTHIN IS BETTER THAN THE PURE N MAGIC WAY YOU VIEWED THE WORLD AS A CHILD, NOTHIN.............DONT FORGET THAT AS AN ADULT......IT STILL APPLIES..
    Please guys dont sing out the praises of grass to the young and impressional guys you know in your life, its not cool, its poor bloody form........
    sorry to rant an abit, but im so passionate about it, and to see a guy puttin up a dope leaf on this page with a symbol of medicine in front of it is just pathetic, leave it for people with cancer or other very serious issues that really need it as pain relief, it could help them, but if your young n happy, face up to life, its magic, n its here to be lived not to hide behind dope..........cheers from oz, n no hard feelins jeff

  83. #83
    bumbles bounce
    Reputation: Hazerd Hownd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    96
    I'm going on 13 years without alcohol, nicotine free for 5 years and just quit smokin' dope 5 1/2 months ago after doing it everyday for the better part of 20 years. I know if I hadn't quit drinking I'd easily be dead by now. Did the 1-eye drive home way too many times and got a DUI once. Just got tired of waking up the next day feeling like chit. I chewed snuff for over 10 years and got scared my gums were receding too quickly, so then I got on the gum (nicorette). That was a mistake because I couldn't get off that for 7 years, but finally one day gave it up too (probably the hardest of all my addictions, but saved a lot of $$$-that stuff is expensive!)

    Weed was my last one to get off and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after a couple weeks quitting. My main reason for hanging up dope was I found out I was going to be a first time dad at the beginning of the year and it just wasn't fair to my wife and 3 step kids to be hiding this "addiction" anymore. I guess I kinda just grew up finally at 45. The only drawback was I've gained 10 pounds, which I guess sometimes happens to first time dads anyway (they call it simpathy weight), but that'll come off the more I get out and ride too.

    I thought quitting weed would make me less motivated. I always figured the increased random firing of the neurons caused by smoking dope helped me get more done, but it only made me stray on activities I didn't need to accomplish when I should've been drumming up more construction business. And now since my wife will be handling a new baby, setting aside her full-time position and losing killer benefits, I've applied at the local school district which definitely drug tests their applicants (so far I've gotten a second interview.) There's just too much on the line for me right now to waste on getting high. I'm not saying others should do the same, it's just what I need to do for myself right now and I'm finding the benefits of quitting far outweigh the risks of partaking in it.

    Don't get me wrong, I still miss going for a ride and burning a bowl halfway through, but I feel less "fuzzy" now and think more clearly. My wife says I don't repeat stuff all the time anymore and don't forget things as much as I did and I don't have that occasional tickle and nagging cough in my throat. Heck, I didn't get sick once this winter (usually bad sinus infection)--first time in a long while that's happened. I know after only about 6 months quitting this is all pretty fresh for me and I could still slip up, but everyday is a small victory. If I'm tempted I just think about my lovely wife who understands and is supporting me and the little girl in her belly who will call me daddy soon. There's so much more to live for! Sorry for the mushy rant.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by tone's l'axeman View Post
    az.mtns, thanks mate appreciate it alot.

    It really pains me to see a guy get on this blog to champion the great things about weed..
    Its hes right n i respect that, and yes it does help with some things such as pain relief and it does open the lungs in the short term for people with some other health issues, but it says a few things about jeff that i will keep to myself....
    I dont know anybody on this forum, nor do i care about what others think of me on here, so i am happy to admit that my addictions over the years have cost me alot of things in life, although im now moving on and doing my best to repair the selfish and unforgivable damage that i have directly and indirectly caused my family, friends n life.....
    When you use drugs every day you live in a bubble that you cant see out of, but others can see into. You think you can see out at the time, but its only till you get off them that you realise that you have been fooling yourself....
    Im not here to preach, cause most have demons at points in their life n its part of learning for some including me....
    Life is a bloody precious gift, that can be gone in the blink of an eye..
    If we were meant to use dope every day, we would have been born stoned or wired or on the nod, but we were born with clarity n vision to take in this magic place,....
    I dont have a faith, nor have i ever been to rehab, but i have a soul n spirit, and this was my greatest friend apart from a great lady in getting clean.......
    Im not going to calculate the amount of weed n heavy gear ive used in those 20 years, cause most wouldnt comprahend it or believe it, but in the end it steals your life away, and weed alone is enough to do that, easy......
    Nothin is better than the pure n magic way you viewed the world as a child, nothin.............dont forget that as an adult......it still applies..
    Please guys dont sing out the praises of grass to the young and impressional guys you know in your life, its not cool, its poor bloody form........
    Sorry to rant an abit, but im so passionate about it, and to see a guy puttin up a dope leaf on this page with a symbol of medicine in front of it is just pathetic, leave it for people with cancer or other very serious issues that really need it as pain relief, it could help them, but if your young n happy, face up to life, its magic, n its here to be lived not to hide behind dope..........cheers from oz, n no hard feelins jeff
    +1!

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerd Hownd View Post
    I'm going on 13 years without alcohol, nicotine free for 5 years and just quit smokin' dope 5 1/2 months ago after doing it everyday for the better part of 20 years. I know if I hadn't quit drinking I'd easily be dead by now. Did the 1-eye drive home way too many times and got a DUI once. Just got tired of waking up the next day feeling like chit. I chewed snuff for over 10 years and got scared my gums were receding too quickly, so then I got on the gum (nicorette). That was a mistake because I couldn't get off that for 7 years, but finally one day gave it up too (probably the hardest of all my addictions, but saved a lot of $$$-that stuff is expensive!)

    Weed was my last one to get off and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after a couple weeks quitting. My main reason for hanging up dope was I found out I was going to be a first time dad at the beginning of the year and it just wasn't fair to my wife and 3 step kids to be hiding this "addiction" anymore. I guess I kinda just grew up finally at 45. The only drawback was I've gained 10 pounds, which I guess sometimes happens to first time dads anyway (they call it simpathy weight), but that'll come off the more I get out and ride too.

    I thought quitting weed would make me less motivated. I always figured the increased random firing of the neurons caused by smoking dope helped me get more done, but it only made me stray on activities I didn't need to accomplish when I should've been drumming up more construction business. And now since my wife will be handling a new baby, setting aside her full-time position and losing killer benefits, I've applied at the local school district which definitely drug tests their applicants (so far I've gotten a second interview.) There's just too much on the line for me right now to waste on getting high. I'm not saying others should do the same, it's just what I need to do for myself right now and I'm finding the benefits of quitting far outweigh the risks of partaking in it.

    Don't get me wrong, I still miss going for a ride and burning a bowl halfway through, but I feel less "fuzzy" now and think more clearly. My wife says I don't repeat stuff all the time anymore and don't forget things as much as I did and I don't have that occasional tickle and nagging cough in my throat. Heck, I didn't get sick once this winter (usually bad sinus infection)--first time in a long while that's happened. I know after only about 6 months quitting this is all pretty fresh for me and I could still slip up, but everyday is a small victory. If I'm tempted I just think about my lovely wife who understands and is supporting me and the little girl in her belly who will call me daddy soon. There's so much more to live for! Sorry for the mushy rant.
    Very nice!!!

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    106
    I will post more tomorrow, I will have 10 yrs. clean and sober then. This is the best life I have ever had.

  87. #87
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    If not going to jail is your litmus test for a successful life, you might want to re-evaluate things. Also, if alcohol caused you to end up in jail and you still drink, enlightened is the farthest thing from where you are.

    Thats a rather subjective statement, especially since you dont even know me. Truth be told, I've been drunk off my ass for the last three or four post I've made in this thread. What now?
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  88. #88
    REALLY?
    Reputation: jeffgothro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerd Hownd View Post
    I'm going on 13 years without alcohol, nicotine free for 5 years and just quit smokin' dope 5 1/2 months ago after doing it everyday for the better part of 20 years. I know if I hadn't quit drinking I'd easily be dead by now. Did the 1-eye drive home way too many times and got a DUI once. Just got tired of waking up the next day feeling like chit. I chewed snuff for over 10 years and got scared my gums were receding too quickly, so then I got on the gum (nicorette). That was a mistake because I couldn't get off that for 7 years, but finally one day gave it up too (probably the hardest of all my addictions, but saved a lot of $$$-that stuff is expensive!)

    Weed was my last one to get off and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be after a couple weeks quitting. My main reason for hanging up dope was I found out I was going to be a first time dad at the beginning of the year and it just wasn't fair to my wife and 3 step kids to be hiding this "addiction" anymore. I guess I kinda just grew up finally at 45. The only drawback was I've gained 10 pounds, which I guess sometimes happens to first time dads anyway (they call it simpathy weight), but that'll come off the more I get out and ride too.

    I thought quitting weed would make me less motivated. I always figured the increased random firing of the neurons caused by smoking dope helped me get more done, but it only made me stray on activities I didn't need to accomplish when I should've been drumming up more construction business. And now since my wife will be handling a new baby, setting aside her full-time position and losing killer benefits, I've applied at the local school district which definitely drug tests their applicants (so far I've gotten a second interview.) There's just too much on the line for me right now to waste on getting high. I'm not saying others should do the same, it's just what I need to do for myself right now and I'm finding the benefits of quitting far outweigh the risks of partaking in it.

    Don't get me wrong, I still miss going for a ride and burning a bowl halfway through, but I feel less "fuzzy" now and think more clearly. My wife says I don't repeat stuff all the time anymore and don't forget things as much as I did and I don't have that occasional tickle and nagging cough in my throat. Heck, I didn't get sick once this winter (usually bad sinus infection)--first time in a long while that's happened. I know after only about 6 months quitting this is all pretty fresh for me and I could still slip up, but everyday is a small victory. If I'm tempted I just think about my lovely wife who understands and is supporting me and the little girl in her belly who will call me daddy soon. There's so much more to live for! Sorry for the mushy rant.
    Thats cool, congratz man.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

  89. #89
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Earlier this month I have been diagnosed with Depersonalization/Derealization as a result of smoking weed for too long.
    It's kind of ironic reading this. I have an old friend that was a heavy smoker, 10+ years. He got weird and more weird as time went on. The depersonalization/derealization thing rings bells with me. Eventually I had to cut ties with him.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Thats a rather subjective statement, especially since you dont even know me. Truth be told, I've been drunk off my ass for the last three or four post I've made in this thread. What now?
    Jeff, bruh... Seriously dude? Are you that ignorant? Why keep stirring the pot? Let it go man.. let it go.

  91. #91
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    What now?



    Seek out some help please.

    AZ.

  92. #92
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by az.mtns View Post
    seek out some help please.

    Az.
    +1...

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Teton29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    ......
    NOTHIN IS BETTER THAN THE PURE N MAGIC WAY YOU VIEWED THE WORLD AS A CHILD, NOTHIN.............DONT FORGET THAT AS AN ADULT......IT STILL APPLIES..
    ......
    This is what it is about for me. Recapturing enjoying life like a kid again. I'm riding my bike alot, learning guitar, playing with model RC airplanes and eating icecream. All the money I used to spend on beer goes directly to buying fun stuff.

    No booze forces you to self entertain. I've found parties and watching others play sports is really boring without beer, so guess what--I find other stuff to do and make no apologies.

    I was lucky and caught the problem really early so it's been real easy to live without it. No doubt many drink far more than I ever did and do just fine. My advice to others--if in doubt, quit.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Thats a rather subjective statement, especially since you dont even know me. Truth be told, I've been drunk off my ass for the last three or four post I've made in this thread. What now?

    What a dick.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Thats a rather subjective statement, especially since you dont even know me. Truth be told, I've been drunk off my ass for the last three or four post I've made in this thread. What now?
    Maybe you were too impaired to remember saying that you used to end up in jail often due to drinking and that now you have learned to control it, and know you have said control because it's been 6 years since your last visit to the pokie. Uh...good job? Thanks for not wasting my tax dollars? Nothing subjective about quoting you but I admit you very well might be enlightened, so that part yes, was subjective. Now for the real subjective part...

    You are so insecure about where your life is that you feel the need to start arguments and cause trouble with a group of people that have had the dedication you could only manage while being locked up. Your life has taught you nothing and that must hurt. I would feel that way too if my life reflected what you have posted and I did nothing to alter it for the better. There is help out there so please consider it. Otherwise, leave the folks trying to spread a positive message alone. They were actually honest with themselves and made positive changes. You would do better to ask how they did it instead of throwing pot propaganda and lunacy around on a thread where people have proclaimed abstinence from said chemicals. That's rude and inconsiderate....or you are an addict who is too sick to admit it. I hope you get the help you probably need but I doubt you'd take it.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,026
    I drink; about 4-6 beers or glasses of wine a month on average and I don't smoke weed. I rarely drink more than 2 drinks at a time and I also go weeks and even months without drinking at all. Most of the people I know drink/smoke with about the same frequency as I do. I don't need it, I don't crave it, and I don't feel pressured to drink, yet I get the impression that some of you would then think that I have a drinking "vice" (problem) and that I won't get my sh*t together until I go straight. How many of you would agree? I ask as there seems to be an unvocalized implication in this thread that if you drink (or smoke), it's a vice and you'd be better off "clean" and sober.

  97. #97
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    I drink; about 4-6 beers or glasses of wine a month on average and I don't smoke weed. I rarely drink more than 2 drinks at a time and I also go weeks and even months without drinking at all. Most of the people I know drink/smoke with about the same frequency as I do. I don't need it, I don't crave it, and I don't feel pressured to drink, yet I get the impression that some of you would then think that I have a drinking "vice" (problem) and that I won't get my sh*t together until I go straight. How many of you would agree? I ask as there seems to be an unvocalized implication in this thread that if you drink (or smoke), it's a vice and you'd be better off "clean" and sober.

    This thread isn't about you, its about and for the people that recognize that they may have a problem and would like to address it in an atmosphere that is free from judgement and trolling, or have been there and are offering up support and advice. No one is this thread is going to pass judgement or point fingers. My two cents.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    ... I won't get my sh*t together until I go straight. How many of you would agree? I ask as there seems to be an unvocalized implication in this thread that if you drink (or smoke), it's a vice and you'd be better off "clean" and sober.
    I did not get that impression reading this thread. I think the comments you are interpreting as such are directed towards the heavy drinkers and abusers of drugs illicit or otherwise. For those folks, redemption lies in going clean and sober. One day at a time...

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chadalex78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    I drink; about 4-6 beers or glasses of wine a month on average and I don't smoke weed. I rarely drink more than 2 drinks at a time and I also go weeks and even months without drinking at all. Most of the people I know drink/smoke with about the same frequency as I do. I don't need it, I don't crave it, and I don't feel pressured to drink, yet I get the impression that some of you would then think that I have a drinking "vice" (problem) and that I won't get my sh*t together until I go straight. How many of you would agree? I ask as there seems to be an unvocalized implication in this thread that if you drink (or smoke), it's a vice and you'd be better off "clean" and sober.
    Ive said it before.. There are "normal" people that can drink and do the occasional recreational drug without negative consequences or triggering addiction.. Actually, most people I would say can do that.. Im just not one of them. I dont look down on anyone that can do that. My hat is off to em.. I just know it doesnt work for me and I knew I wasnt the only one who has had problems of this nature and have had their lives changed with the help of MTBing... Thought itd be cool to relate to others just like some others relate on the beer threads.. But no ill will or negative thoughts to the "normal" people out there. God bless em.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    When our country has the highest incarceration rate on the planet (free country, yeah right), and more than half of those people are there for non-violent crimes, I can't help but have very little sympathy for the minority who were unable to handle their own experimentation with drugs and alcohol. If that small number of people blamed themselves for their actions instead of a chemical, there's no way this insane war on drugs would have ever reached the point that it is at... I find huge number of imprisoned people to be a far bigger injustice than keeping proper political correct forum etiquette... Sorry guys, don't care, you use drugs as a scapegoat when you used them, and now that you don't, you still blame the drugs. The result? The ability to convince the public to support a war on drugs which is nothing than a way to funnel people into the privately owned corporate prison system...
    And with that, I will leave this thread to the support group...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.