Thread: CL Scam?

REALLY?

CL Scam?

So, I put a stem on CL and someone text me asking me to re-post it on some other site I never even knew existed, this is the second time someone has requested me to do this (and of course I say no). The first thing that comes to mind is "WHY"? Is this some new scam or something I havent heard of yet?
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

AZ
    banned
    Could be phishing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Was the site they wanted you to put it on called "Hip Swap"? I had someone do the same thing to me. Hipswap is simar to Craigslist. I think they're just trying to get it rolling.

mtbr member
    Got the same kind of thing..whatever. It's just annoying along with all the other bogus emails I get when selling something.

since 4/10/2009
    One reason I hate CL. For as lambasted as ebay is, that stuff is minimal there. When I need a big audience I use ebay for shippable items. I use local forums if at all possible and will also come here. CL is really a last resort for me

poser Administrator
    I posted a baby changing table for sale on CL once. I used my email, hidden of course, for replies.

I got so many:
    "I was looking at your ad and it seemed that you might be into this so here it goes: Do you want to hook up some times?"

It was hilarious because my ad said: "baby changing table, brown, $45 (link to baby'r'us for table). You pick up."

Evidently that seemed lonely.

The worse part was that they continued for about a month after i sold the table and had deleted the ad. Must have gotten sucked into some spam vortex.

I now know better than to list an email at all and just use my ph#. Now i sell stuff and don't get any of that electric spam crap. Ironic I know but it works well.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

b a n n e d
    Ugh, I hate CL . . . I've made the mistake of posting my phone number thinking it would expedite sales. Nope . . . only expedited the spam text messages, that I continue to receive.

I don't like eBay either with all the fee's, etc. but when you got something to sell, you gotta go somewhere. Bike parts get sold here though.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Suckin wind like a boss
    i have no issues with cl really. have sold a few things on it, bought a few, never really had any issues. however, i have taken to not only using a spam-specific gmail account i created, but also using a google voice phone number. if you have an android phone, its the greatest thing since sliced white bread. you get a free phone number to associate with your phone, that isnt your permanent phone number. you can use it and change it at will, and can even do searches for specific alpha strings as well (i.e. call 555-MTB-RIDE) to use as your number. the number you choose likely wont have a local area code, but anymore with cell phones they have added so many new area codes and exchanges that its pretty hard to keep up with whats local and what isnt.

use the number as long as you need it, and then get rid of it. no lingering spam calls or texts.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eacook1 View Post
    Was the site they wanted you to put it on called "Hip Swap"? I had someone do the same thing to me. Hipswap is simar to Craigslist. I think they're just trying to get it rolling.

Yeah, I think that was it.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Members who have read this thread: 0