Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, has died aged 52- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, has died aged 52

Cycologist
    Whoa, and he was younger than you and me, ZW.

RIP, Chris.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Fart smeller
    Holy fukc! Suicide? The man must have had some demons.

RIP
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

EMBA Member
    Rip

western NC
    That sucks, I'm a big fan of both bands, and have some good memories while listening to both. RIP Chris.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Saw that this morning. That sucks.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    This was the first headline of the morning I read, grew up listening to Soundgarden. Enjoyed Audioslave with the guys from RATM too. Made me forget about the other crappy stuff going on in the world and surpassed it. Sad news, just played last night. Gotta be a heart attack or stroke, hopefully not the usual rocker COD. He escaped his rusty cage to never be caged again. RIP Chris Cornell
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I was shocked to hear this, too. He had a truly unique voice. Let alone that Soundgarden was a fantastic band from back in the day...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Nothing seems to kill me
    One of the greatest voices ever. RIP Brother...
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

9 lives
    One of the greatest voices. Far too young... he was younger than me.

I think I recall he had a history of depression but I guess we will find out more.

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^ I was just going to go look for that video.

RIP Chris.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    That link led me to a Billie Jean cover, owned it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Latest report was he hung himself.
    Apparently nonstop access to awesome ***** and unlimited drugs is not the path to happiness after all? Who knew?

Too bad. He was my favorite rock vocalist.

mtbr member
    Bummer. What a voice and charisma. He was aging well, that's a real drag.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

Gawd Dammit!!!!
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    was all set to see him next thursday here in htown and was lookin like being able to get press passes to help shoot pics with a friend. only guy i've been wanting to see in the last few years.

set it off, chris. loud af.

MTBR Member
    Ended his set in Detroit with a cover of Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying". RIP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Such a loss, so much skill and talent. Depression? Such a strong grip I guess. Wife and kids, yikes. My thoughts, not specific to this case in particular. Those with such great talents, skills and abilities, need that high. Be it adrenaline, performing or "other". Manic almost, really up high, really really low at times. There in lies the rub. Too much stimuli or not enough. Life is finding that balance. Or not.

Dark Meat
    I was lucky enough to see them in 92...great show. RIP Chris.

mtbr member
    Just saw a confirmation that the coroner listed COD as suicide. That little nagging voice in his head must have been resounding. Very sad, left behind 3 daughters. Hopefully, they will remember his smile and not this moment.

Strange day to read about Chris gone in the morning to Dexter Holland completing his PhD in Molecular Biology in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sad, hung himself.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I've been in a state of shock all day.

Those that appreciate his enormous talent and gentle soul may be interested in reading what others that knew him wrote.

Chris Cornell Dead: Hollywood Stars, Musicians React | Hollywood Reporter

R.I.P. Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    Apparently nonstop access to awesome ***** and unlimited drugs is not the path to happiness after all?
    Except that he was married, sober, and had a family...

The fact that it was suicide totally stunned me, I could have believed a heart attack or something, even a relapse into drug use, but even after I heard he'd died the though that it might have been suicide didn't even enter my head.

I saw Soundgarden in 1997 and 2012, then Chris solo in 2015 which was one of the best performances I've ever witnessed. He was an absolute talent as a singer, a musician, a songwriter and a performer.

https://youtu.be/PW74QmG5SsU

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Except that he was married, sober, and had a family...

The fact that it was suicide totally stunned me, I could have believed a heart attack or something, even a relapse into drug use, but even after I heard he'd died the though that it might have been suicide didn't even enter my head.
    Same here. I think the only time I saw him was sometime between '88 and '91 in a small club (the Cotton Club on Peachtree for any of you Atlanta knowing folks).

I know life can be rough but to leave three young kids, I can't understand. And seems odd that he would do it on tour, maybe he couldn't handle that his career had peaked some time ago and he didn't get the same enjoyment out of performing that he once did.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Thank you Chris. Peace.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Saw sg in lolapalooza in the 90s @ the gorge @ George. Somehow I felt that he would be the one to live to a ripe old age...
    Say hello to heaven cc.

mtbr member
    On second thoughts, after watching some of the footage from the last gig maybe he wasn't sober any more?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqP...d3yBaD0_Y7jiqA

I know I'm speculating a little, I haven't watched much of it because it's pretty painful to watch someone I know to be a competent and energetic performer seeming to struggle and stumble through a gig only hours before ending his life. It sounds like the call from his wife to get someone to check on him didn't come all that long after the concert, and to immediately knock down the door when there was no answer instead of just presuming he'd gone out for a walk or something kinda indicates those who were close to him were concerned.

9 lives
    RIP Chris Cornell. Rides a bike

Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, has died aged 52-18486092_1378434375567123_667300122878178050_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Toe clips? No wonder

https://youtu.be/03Q65eMp_58
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Toe clips? No wonder
    He had a broken wrist?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    He had a broken wrist?
    Probably because of the toe clips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Read a report that he was taking Benzo (Xanax,Lithium) family of meds on prescription and had taken a couple?
    Why is it almost every suicide and celebrity death includes prescription meds in the cocktail leading to their death?
    Maybe people would be better off avoiding doctors altogether? Seems the psycho and painkiller drugs just lead to premature death.
    I'm not a crusader on this but just absorbing the info from many ,many incidents. The common thread is very powerful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    RIP Chris Cornell. Rides a bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18486092_1378434375567123_667300122878178050_n.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1137887
    Pretty sure Tim Commerford talked him into that bike purchase. He is converting many celebs in his circle. Including NBA star Reggie Miller.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    Read a report that he was taking Benzo (Xanax,Lithium) family of meds on prescription and had taken a couple?
    Why is it almost every suicide and celebrity death includes prescription meds in the cocktail leading to their death?
    Maybe people would be better off avoiding doctors altogether? Seems the psycho and painkiller drugs just lead to premature death.
    I'm not a crusader on this but just absorbing the info from many ,many incidents. The common thread is very powerful.
    For depression or other significant mental health issues, the best treatment approach is a combination of medication and therapy.

It's not surprising that these individuals are taking psychoactive medications given what we know about their mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Probably because of the toe clips.
    Thats what I was insinuating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    On second thoughts, after watching some of the footage from the last gig maybe he wasn't sober any more?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqP...d3yBaD0_Y7jiqA

I know I'm speculating a little, I haven't watched much of it because it's pretty painful to watch someone I know to be a competent and energetic performer seeming to struggle and stumble through a gig only hours before ending his life. It sounds like the call from his wife to get someone to check on him didn't come all that long after the concert, and to immediately knock down the door when there was no answer instead of just presuming he'd gone out for a walk or something kinda indicates those who were close to him were concerned.
    That is tough to watch. He sounds horrible; kind of makes you wonder if he had his mind made up at this point, and what he was on at the time.

mtbr member
    I always liked listening to Black Hole Sun and Fell on Black Days back in the 90's - my teenage years. Man, we're getting old.

Yesterday of all days [the day of this tragedy] I overheard a young kid in his early twenties who was obviously into heavy metal. Talk crap about Chris because he was in the grunge era. He actually said Chris had a shitty voice. I wasn't in the mood to argue but it took all I had not to chime in on this narrow minded tool.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Yesterday of all days [the day of this tragedy] I overheard a young kid in his early twenties who was obviously into heavy metal. Talk crap about Chris because he was in the grunge era. He actually said Chris had a shitty voice. I wasn't in the mood to argue but it took all I had not to chime in on this narrow minded tool.
    I guess Chris didn't scream unintelligibly enough for him. Someone may not like his music but anyone who says Cornell had a shitty voice isn't worth the breath to argue.
    Silly kids.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Here, diagonally!
    Back in the eighties, I was into Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc (still am come to think of it). In the later part of the eighties, rock music took a turn for the worse, and things got pretty gross. Thank God in the 90s a new generation came along and saved rock and roll's soul. Not by rehashing the 60s or 70s music, but by doing it their way. Chris was a part of that, and I'd like to thank him.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&FO 6RM=VRDGAR
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Back in the eighties, I was into Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd etc (still am come to think of it). In the later part of the eighties, rock music took a turn for the worse, and things got pretty gross. Thank God in the 90s a new generation came along and saved rock and roll's soul. Not by rehashing the 60s or 70s music, but by doing it their way. Chris was a part of that, and I'd like to thank him.

Pretty much my route as well. There was a big gap of crap music away from rock between the early 80's and late 80's.

Nothing seems to kill me

Right there with ya Brother. There was a long period of big hair music that just sounded so plastic.
    For years I fell back on Zeppelin, Sabbath and the like because everything was sheit.
    GNR and Chili Peppers filled a gap for a little while.
    But when Seattle bands let loose ( Peal Jam, Alice In Chains, Nirvana) it was exactly what I was craving. I fell in love with Sound Garden immediately. They were just so heavy and Cornell owned his songs.
    Temple of The Dog and Mother Love Bone was right up there as well. Add to the mix STP and Tool from Cali and we had ourselves some good music again. I still listen to all of it and still listen to Zeppelin daily. None of it gets old to me.
    Now Chris has left us to go hang out with Andrew, Layne, Kurt and Scott.
    Eddie and Maynard are the only two left from my favorite bands of that era.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Absolutely! Rock on!
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    "Ms Cornell said the singer, a recovering addict, was taking the prescription drug Ativan, which treats anxiety and insomnia. One of the listed side effects is that it may increase depression and cause impaired judgement.
    Cornell had spoken openly of his drug and alcohol addiction in the past, as well as periods of depression and agoraphobia.
    Vicky Cornell said she had asked security to check on her husband on Wednesday night when she spoke to him before and after the Soundgarden show.
    "I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different," she said. "He told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two.""

Fvck.

I think the correct response is just to punch people like that in the face.

mtbr member
    RIP Brother

Big Mac
    There was plenty of great music all through the 80's. y'all just weren't hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    There was plenty of great music all through the 80's. y'all just weren't hearing it.
    I agree, I meant the rock music was lacking in a big way. Once grunge hit it re-lit my spark in the industry.

All fat, all the time.
    Sucks to lose another Seattle artist.

I was lucky enough to see him twice, once in Audioslave, and once on his solo tour. He played the Vogue in Indy. Tiny place, not a bad seat in the house.
    They advertised it locally "this is not a Soudgarden show".....well, yeah, he played 3 or 4 songs of his newer solo stuff.
    then ....yup.....Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, freakin nailed it.

I wish I had a pic from that show....

RIP
    Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, has died aged 52-140604-chris-cornell-1994.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will preface this by stating I was a huge CC fan.

Growing up in the 70's/80's I am far too familiar with drug induced deaths and suicides of music artists.

My takeaway is never get to attached to any celeb in music or entertainment as they are all addicts of something. Apparently to become good at these endeavors requires a very disturbed and unstable personality which always seeks ways to alter their brain to quiet the noises.

Cornell had fallen of the wagon and had fresh tracks from heroin Chris Cornell Had Fresh Track Marks on Arm at Suicide Scene | TMZ.com.

In addition to the usual illegal drugs all celebrities seem to be on some sort of regimen of anti-depressents, pain meds, sleep meds and abuse them constantly (Tiger Woods this week-who would have thought of that guy?)

I don't feel sorry for CC. Just for the family he betrayed with his lack of discipline and need to get his high on once again and really at their expense. The anger and rage I would feel at him if I was his child is what is sad, as he ruined their childhood.

It is a cowardly and sad way to go. Nothing more.

Cycologist
    It seems like a lot of it is that they never have to fully grow up. They get into that crazy teen/early twenties lifestyle that a lot of us venture into but they never get out of it and learn to be responsible.

Hi There!
    It really is true...everyone has their demons. EVERYONE.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It seems like a lot of it is that they never have to fully grow up. They get into that crazy teen/early twenties lifestyle that a lot of us venture into but they never get out of it and learn to be responsible.
    I can agree that is a piece of it....or putting it another way. The adulation encourages a lack of self reflection and responsibility. Combined that with the super unhealthy process of traveling to make the money/lifestyle and it snowballs into a toxic mix of drugs, sex and zero accountability. Ultimately they become a sad, pathetic person unable to solve the problems in their head. Smart ones get out early.