Is Chevron gas worth 50 cents a gallon more?- Mtbr.com
    Duck Fonald

Is Chevron gas worth 50 cents a gallon more?

I've got a buddy who pretty much drives for a living, and his Silverado has over 300,000 miles on it. He recently had some work done to it, and the mechanic said his engine was spotless inside- no residue buildup at all, and Larry attributes it to buying only Chevron gas.

In my neck of the woods, Chevron gas is 50 cents higher. Worth it, or just a load of hooey?

Oh, and happy 40th, London Calling!
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Definitely better for your motor to run top tier gas. Less detergents added to it. Chevron with Techron makes claim to being a cleaner running fuel. I’m sure there’s some truth to it.

https://clark.com/cars/chevron-with-...mileage-claim/

Is Chevron gas worth 50 cents a gallon more?-8c404e66-0f22-441c-b324-69b184212251.jpg

When I lived in SoCal I ran Chevron exclusively for many years. It is a bit more but peace of mind is worth it. In the area I live now Chevron is not that easily accessible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Up In Smoke
    Dude! You gotta use the Safeway club card!

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Dude! You gotta use the Safeway club card!
    I use it, but I never seem to have enough built up so I get the discount. Grrrrrr.
    "It is what it is."

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I use the card, and it's usually .20 a gallon discount. Which puts Chevron gas at just a bit more than the Shell I used for years.
    The reason I use Chevron gas is because everybody at my lawnmower shop has been touting it for years for small engines. They swear that it makes a big difference in the engines reliability and life. So, I've finally broken down and started filling my cans with Chevron premium.

mtbr member
    Chevron where I live is the same prices as everyone else except on Chevron station I pass all the time. He's 20 cents higher.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Definitely better for your motor to run top tier gas. Less detergents added to it. Chevron with Techron makes claim to being a cleaner running fuel. I’m sure there’s some truth to it.

https://clark.com/cars/chevron-with-...mileage-claim/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C404E66-0F22-441C-B324-69B184212251.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1308419

When I lived in SoCal I ran Chevron exclusively for many years. It is a bit more but peace of mind is worth it. In the area I live now Chevron is not that easily accessible.
    Rep added to your ghostly OC account.
    "It is what it is."

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Chevron where I live is the same prices as everyone else except on Chevron station I pass all the time. He's 20 cents higher.
    Shit, our Costco is at $3, Chevron is at $3.50 and up (regular).
    "It is what it is."

Bikesexual
    My Chevron charges extra .25c a gallon for using a credit/debit, that's insane.

I will do a follow-up question, is ARCO really that bad?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Up In Smoke
    The good thing about Chevron is there is typically no wait. You go to another station where its 10 cents cheaper across the street and you have a line of cars waiting to get a pump.

I don't mind paying an extra buck in the long run so that buying gas is not a stressful experience.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My Chevron charges extra .25c a gallon for using a credit/debit, that's insane.

I will do a follow-up question, is ARCO really that bad?
    That's kinda where I hoped this was gonna lead.
    "It is what it is."

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It partially depends on the type of motor too.
    Multi-port fuel injected motors get an extra benefit of detergent fuels as the fuel is sprayed on the intake valve, giving the valve a bath.
    A direct injected (DI) motor doesn't see the same benefits from these Top Tier fuels.
    However, the Top Tier Fuels do help keep fuel systems in general cleaner. Including those high pressure injectors that are utilized by DI motors.

The clean motor is likely a result of routine oil changes using quality oil.
    I'll take that back if he only changes oil at 10k intervals. LOL

I've switched from Safeway Fuel to Chevron or 76 fuels. Both similar costs, and both well above cost of Safeway.
    Shell is at least as expensive as Chevron.
    My newest to me vehicle is DI so I do not see the same benefits as my previous motor would have. It's a much more complicated motor though so better oil and top tier fuels are going to be my maintenance plan.
    I've considered getting a Chevron card for fuel. If sales are combined, I'd save money. Local Chevron charges 0.10 with cash/debit (maybe 0.20). Save money with the card plus a Safeway discount and my offset from 'cheaper' gas becomes more affordable.
    That is based on select stations as well. One station here may charge $3.89 while another is charging $4.09. My last gas stop was $3.79 for Midgrade with my Safeway 0.10 discount. I'd probably use premium if I got the Chevron discount paired with the Safeway discount. And midgrade with only a Safeway discount. The discounts with Chevron are actually equal to or better than 76 stations.

Over the life of the vehicle, the added fuel cost adds up, but tank to tank it's not as bad as it seems. Especially if you are a car driver. Good mileage and smaller tanks.
    To fill a full 12 gallon tank it costs an extra 6 bucks at 0.50/gal. That's less than 2 gallons, depending of course on your local prices. If you're getting 30 MPG you could have gone an extra 60 miles max. on that tank. It is somewhat noticeable but tank to tank not really that bad if you're actually helping keep a motor running smooth and clean.

As for ARCO, I haven't really used ARCO, but am tempted. They are a top tier and cheaper.
    One could always add a bottom of Chevron Techron once in a while if they went with ARCO for example.

Rumors around ARCO is that they can charge less because they sell more volume. You are charged a fee at the pump, or accept cash only. People are inclined to fill up instead of pay fees or cash for a splash just to get them going 'today'.
    Just internet rumors, no idea how much truth is behind that.

Rides all the bikes!
    My father used cheap gas, and rare oil changes in his Ford Ranger. He had the engine rebuilt at 250,000 miles because he got his first work bonus in years, and decided that it was a good time to do it. The shop said everything was in spec, and looked like it had less that 100,000 miles on it.

So, yeah, cheap gas and extended oil changes are the solution!

On that note, I just found out that my ex hasn't changed the oil in her motorcycle in about 40,000 miles. I gave her all kinds of shit about that. But, still runs great! It has about 60,000 miles in 2 years.

mtbr member
    Costco is a top tier fuel per Consumer Reports. Just filled up. $2.19/ga.

I travel to a different county for ethanol-free gas for the vintage Mustang and lawn equipment. That's around $3.25/ga because it is only available in premium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Shit, our Costco is at $3, Chevron is at $3.50 and up (regular).
    Regular gas is about $2.25 where I live.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Costco is a top tier fuel per Consumer Reports. Just filled up. $2.19/ga.

I travel to a different county for ethanol-free gas for the vintage Mustang and lawn equipment. That's around $3.25/ga because it is only available in premium.
    Does CR say anything about Arco?
    "It is what it is."

mtbr member
    when I worked at the performance shop we had a customer that did back to back tests with different fuel brands. all 91 oct. we were testing HP differences and looking at timing corrections. costco/arco/quick trip were the worst. shell/chevron/exon/mobile were about the same, putting out almost 20hp more than the cheaper gas. Chevron owns the copyright on "techron" however shell exon/mobile have the same detergents. they just cannot call it "techron". but you can also buy techron as a fuel additive.

I could also tell when I tore down a motor on a car what gas they used. the nasty gunk in the intake manifold was a dead giveaway that they were using cheap gas.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Regular gas is about $2.25 where I live.
    Yeah, high 20s here atm.

I have a friend in a small town where whenever the "who has the best gas" argument starts up, the guy who drives the semi full of gas reminds everyone that he visits all the different brands in town and delivers the same gas to each.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    < Personal and anecdotal account, so take it as it is.

I live very close to a Costco and used Costco Gas in my cars and trucks for years because it was cheap and when leaving early for work there was no line at the pumps.

I started commuting on a motorcycle back in 2011, I bought a Yamaha FZ1 (first Gen) that is Carburated. When I first got it it hardly needed any choke and would run fine even when cold. After a few months it started needing a lot of choke and would have a tendency to stall out until the motor warmed up a bit. I would buy one of those injector cleaners and dump the whole bottle into 4 gallons of gasoline and the issues would clear up for a time and then return. I did this for a few years, needing the additive every other month or so.

I was telling a Co-worker at the time and he suggested Chevron. I figured it was worth a shot and after 3 full tanks ran through the motor all the cold stalling issues disappeared, and never came back. I stopped using anything but Chevron for all my vehicles. If traveling and unable to find a chevron I will use Shell or 76.

I am a believer.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Does CR say anything about Arco?
    Here is the list they published as of April 2019:

Top Tier Retailers
    76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Breakaway, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express Mart, Exxon, Fast Fuel, HFN, Hele, Holiday, Kwik Star, Irving, Kirkland Signature, Kwik Star, Kwik Trip, Marathon, Metro Petro, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell, Sinclair, Sunoco, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Texaco, Valero, Value America, Wow, and Win Win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post

...the guy who drives the semi full of gas reminds everyone that he visits all the different brands in town and delivers the same gas to each.
    I have heard that as well.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Yeah, high 20s here atm.

I have a friend in a small town where whenever the "who has the best gas" argument starts up, the guy who drives the semi full of gas reminds everyone that he visits all the different brands in town and delivers the same gas to each.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I have heard that as well.
    I have heard this is the case as well but I have also heard that each company that is delivered to adds their own products to make it exclusive to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I have heard this is the case as well but I have also heard that each company that is delivered to adds their own products to make it exclusive to them.
    That is how I understand it as well.

The story behind Top Tier is interesting and I believe that more than "it's the same gas regardless where you purchase from".

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    < Personal and anecdotal account, so take it as it is.

I live very close to a Costco and used Costco Gas in my cars and trucks for years because it was cheap and when leaving early for work there was no line at the pumps.

I started commuting on a motorcycle back in 2011, I bought a Yamaha FZ1 (first Gen) that is Carburated. When I first got it it hardly needed any choke and would run fine even when cold. After a few months it started needing a lot of choke and would have a tendency to stall out until the motor warmed up a bit. I would buy one of those injector cleaners and dump the whole bottle into 4 gallons of gasoline and the issues would clear up for a time and then return. I did this for a few years, needing the additive every other month or so.

I was telling a Co-worker at the time and he suggested Chevron. I figured it was worth a shot and after 3 full tanks ran through the motor all the cold stalling issues disappeared, and never came back. I stopped using anything but Chevron for all my vehicles. If traveling and unable to find a chevron I will use Shell or 76.

I am a believer.
    Thanks. Good info.
    "It is what it is."

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    If you’re a Chevron shareholder then please by all means buy their gasoline all the time. Be smug as fück, too, every time you fill up. So much a company can get away with when they have unlimited money for their marketing and legal teams. I have a cousin who works in San Ramon on ONE OF the legal teamS for Chevron; it helps to have inside information.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    ANY top tier registered gas is worth the extra cost. It doesnt have to be Chevron. Road Ranger is where I used to get my gas, but they have since left town. Get on the top tier website and you can see which stations are top tier certified.