mtbr member

New question here. cheap laptop purchase help

I'm looking for a cheap laptop to replace by 8 year old desktop that cant play the lowest quality youtube videos without crashing a browser.

What do I want to use it for? watching youtube videos, posting on MTBR (and obviously I dont even do that much), and the most specialized... I want HDMI out to hook it to my TV so I can stream redbull tv on my big screen...

So here are two ive seen.. any suggestions of these two? or others?

Lenovo - 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - 1068B9U

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

mtbr member
    That netbook dell would be nice if you had a wireless keyboard\trackpad to use the tv as your primary monitor. Otherwise you probably do not want an 11" screen to be your primary pc (experienced it). If not that Lenovo should treat you just fine for normal consumer use.

May The Force Be With You
    i think the Lenovo would be the better buy from those two with 4GB of memory and hard drive vs the other... i'm to computer savvy savvy

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Huckin' trails
    I'd say get the Lenovo if you really have to choose between both. Still plenty of other options out there, but the Lenovo should fit the bill pretty good for the use you stated.

My first thought would have been to suggest an (used because of the price) MacBook Pro 15.4" from late 2008 to early 2011, they can be had for around $800 and will provide plenty of power, connectivity and a nice screen that will give you a better view than your TV will. And you could always boot XP or 7's if you wish too.

But since you seems to be on a budget and not needing that kind of performance, I'll stick to my first opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I'd say get the Lenovo if you really have to choose between both. Still plenty of other options out there, but the Lenovo should fit the bill pretty good for the use you stated.

My first thought would have been to suggest an (used because of the price) MacBook Pro 15.4" from late 2008 to early 2011, they can be had for around $800 and will provide plenty of power, connectivity and a nice screen that will give you a better view than your TV will. And you could always boot XP or 7's if you wish too.

But since you seems to be on a budget and not needing that kind of performance, I'll stick to my first opinion.
    Well if you, or anyone else, has suggestions in my price range, besides those 2 ive already posted, id be open to look at them.

and I have a 1080p 55" LED LCD... so if a laptop screen has better resolution, its not going to be as enjoyable to watch something for a long period of time due to its size..

Huckin' trails
    I was talking about colors and gamma. But yes, you might be more comfy off your TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    You'll want to look at the owners manual for the laptop you choose to see what resolution it can display via hdmi. I too have a 55" 1080, my nettop can only display 720 so the res is definitely large, but all movies look great on the tv. Icons and fonts are resizable... I believe until you get into larger or more expensive laptops that your res will be generally stuck at 1366x768 on the laptop lcd.
    Just food for thought.

Members who have read this thread: 0