Caught!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Caught!

Bikesexual

Caught!

Not sure if you saw this yesterday but, good news. Driver is a pig.

Cyclist hit along Natchez Trace Parkway, administrator at University School arrested | WKRN News 2
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

I hope the victim goes after all of his assets.

Bikesexual
    So much anger, it must suck to live like that.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    So much anger, it must suck to live like that.
    How do you know this?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    How do you know this?
    You have to be angry at the world to purposely ran over another human, no? If you saw the video, the white truck went around the riders.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

banned
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    How do you know this?
    Hit the guy and did not even stop, he knew exactly what he did and was okay with it. Disgusting.

High Desert MTBer
    Friend of mine in Nashvegas knows these guys and apparently this Volvo was seen doing the same thing a week earlier, only missed the cyclist that time. So glad they got him...
    It's all Here. Now.

Cycologist
    Wow, scary, looks like the guy was really lucky and fell to the side, easily could have been run over and killed. Really sad that someone would do that and sad whenever someone drives off. I sure hope all the charges on that guy stick.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Saw this going all around my facebook. Glad they caught the POS. Was seeing posts with the video about him trying to hit other cyclists too. That guy better serve serious time for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Friend of mine in Nashvegas knows these guys and apparently this Volvo was seen doing the same thing a week earlier, only missed the cyclist that time. So glad they got him...
    I seen something written on a side bar to that subject, he either hit or tried to hit someone a week earlier.

Lets hope if this was the case, he is not going to weasel out of it easily.
    Intent to harm someone with a vehicle could be attempted murder.
    Not sure how else to explain driving around in a car looking for opportunity to act out this way.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Hit the guy and did not even stop, he knew exactly what he did and was okay with it. Disgusting.
    Jail time please. And a law suit that buries him.

EAT MORE GRIME
    and he was dean of student at this school

nice role model

when you go here they have a disclaimer above the title bar

https://www.usn.org/page

Recent Incident Regarding Marshall Neely

Marshall Neely served as dean of students at University School of Nashville before transitioning to a part-time role this summer. He also is parent of two alumni. As of today, USN has placed Mr. Neely on leave of absence while we investigate the circumstances. All other matters related to his employment are confidential. We appreciate the work of law enforcement on this matter and will cooperate fully with their investigation. Our thoughts are with the cyclist and his family as well as the Neely family during this difficult time.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Nothing excuses the driver.

However why would the bicyclist be riding in the middle of the lane like that? I know in many places bikes are allowed to use the full lane, but that is not always the safest option for a rider. The one filming was in a much better location in the lane leaving more room. I am not putting any blame at all on the cyclist, but personally I would never ride out in the middle of the road like that.

Again, the driver needs to go to jail for the rest of his days and forfeit all his assets to the cyclist.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Nothing excuses the driver.

However why would the bicyclist be riding in the middle of the lane like that? I know in many places bikes are allowed to use the full lane, but that is not always the safest option for a rider. The one filming was in a much better location in the lane leaving more room. I am not putting any blame at all on the cyclist, but personally I would never ride out in the middle of the road like that.

Again, the driver needs to go to jail for the rest of his days and forfeit all his assets to the cyclist.
    There is a sign "bikes may use entire lane" and its a park is my understanding.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    There is a sign "bikes may use entire lane" and its a park is my understanding.
    I totally understand the may use entire lane, there are many places locally where that is allowed, that does not mean it is necessarily safer when just 2 guys are riding near each other(from the short clip I saw it was just two cyclists, not a very large group).

Nothing excuses the behavior of the driver. But as cyclists should we be antagonizing drivers by taking up the lane when it is not necessary?

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Bikesexual
    I totally understand the may use entire lane, there are many places locally where that is allowed, that does not mean it is necessarily safer when just 2 guys are riding near each other(from the short clip I saw it was just two cyclists, not a very large group).

Nothing excuses the behavior of the driver. But as cyclists should we be antagonizing drivers by taking up the lane when it is not necessary?
    I agree, but the problem is the intention here, which we all agree the driver should be prosecuted. If you are out w/your buddy, in a park, where is legally posted to ride the lane, it's easier to do so, you feel safer I guess. I'm thinking if the cyclist saw/heard the car, he would have moved over, but the truck before the black car went around them, slowly with no problems.

Tough call in this particular scenario. I totally get your point though.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

EAT MORE GRIME
    yes it is legal to take the whole lane

but taking selfies/gopro while riding? that was not the intent of the law I betcha

driver 100% at fault,
    but come on, the bikers were using up the whole lane doing something unsafe in the first place. a little bit of douchiness has to be applied to the bikers in this case...just saying, just a wee bit of 'it's all about me' lets take video while riding (unsafe action)...and that seems enough to trigger a psychopath.

you have to learn to ride the road like everyone is out to get ya, put the cameras
    and excessive lane hogging aside. or you get squished, as seen in the video. don't rant at me for saying it, rant at the psychopathic drivers who cannot control themselves

mtbr member
    I was just discussing this thread with a store worker who had just been hit by a car. Actually he hit the car. He was confident that the car was at fault for running a stop sign. He put a nice dent in it's side. The one thing he was doing wrong was riding on a sidewalk before entering the crash zone. Two wrongs don't make a right? He was not aware that bikes are not to be ridden on sidewalks. Car Insurance has been notified. He said this route was the best way to get where he needed to go. I told him he needs to walk the bike in that case and that he may not be Scott free of blame on this?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    I was just discussing this thread with a store worker who had just been hit by a car. Actually he hit the car. He was confident that the car was at fault for running a stop sign. He put a nice dent in it's side. The one thing he was doing wrong was riding on a sidewalk before entering the crash zone. Two wrongs don't make a right? He was not aware that bikes are not to be ridden on sidewalks. Car Insurance has been notified. He said this route was the best way to get where he needed to go. I told him he needs to walk the bike in that case and that he may not be Scott free of blame on this?
    Could be. Stop sign runner may have done so either way but you stand a much better chance of being see by threatening traffic situations if you put yourself in their field of vision.
    Day time flashing light, weaving a tiny bit makes you 'pop' out also, bright colors and bright helmet or contrasting colors. Anything to breakup the background to which they might not see you.

You can make a pretty big list of things to help your odds really. Just no guarantees.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Tough call in this particular scenario.
    No it most certainly is not. Even if the cyclist was on the other side of the road, totally obstructing it, the driver still does not have justification to ram him off the road. And that's not the situation here. The driver could have passed perfectly safely, he clearly chose not to.

Chose? Yip. He did not slow, brake or swerve when he made contact with the cyclist. Those are things you would instinctively do if for some reason you had not seen him. If you'd been playing with your phone for instance. He also did not stop. I mean really, this is complicated how?

Cyclists are allowed to cycle two abreast in most countries. There are several reasons for it but it's mostly a safety thing.

If you are two abreast or a lone rider out in the middle of the lane it forces drivers to pass you on the other side of the road. That is, when the other lane is empty so the only two vehicles using the road's width are the bike and the overtaking car. Plenty of space.

If the cyclist hugs the kerb the driver behind may feel he can pass while oncoming traffic fills the opposite lane. Two cars and bike now need to share the space. On a very wide road this might not pose a problem but many roads are too narrow for this to be safe. The overtaking driver has to position his car between both the oncoming traffic and the bike. Anyone who cycles in traffic will tell how that plays out. The opposing cars get a wide berth and the cyclist is lucky not to get clipped with a wing-mirror.

Cyclist can legally 'take the lane' on any road and are right to do so on any road they feel is too narrow for safe overtaking three-abreast.

This driver is utterly in the wrong, legally, morally, every way. He is probably a self-righteous prick and even now feels hard done by. Personally, I hope he goes to jail and his 20st cell mate Bubba tears him a new one!

Cycologist
    It's getting more and more common for road cyclist to mount and run cameras, just so they have evidence in any type of incident, such as this one. I doubt he was "taking video" other than letting a mounted camera run.

In regards to the cyclist on the sidewalk, illegal where I am. If you are going to do it, then you have to ride like a pedestrian, don't step/ride out in front of anything on the roadway unless you have a "walk" light and even then, if you are riding illegally on the sidewalk, you need to go at a walking pace and realize cars are not expecting you. Now if the car ran a stop sign, they are also at fault obviously.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It's getting more and more common for road cyclist to mount and run cameras, just so they have evidence in any type of incident, such as this one. I doubt he was "taking video" other than letting a mounted camera run.

In regards to the cyclist on the sidewalk, illegal where I am. If you are going to do it, then you have to ride like a pedestrian, don't step/ride out in front of anything on the roadway unless you have a "walk" light and even then, if you are riding illegally on the sidewalk, you need to go at a walking pace and realize cars are not expecting you. Now if the car ran a stop sign, they are also at fault obviously.
    That both at fault part is what scared him. If they want a split the damages deal it could be costly to a young guy with little money. New BMW repair may be costl. Thanks folks!

Bikesexual
    My statement was based more on the premise of the "go pro" irresponsible filming, which to a point I agree. You have to take as much precaution as possible. This driver is just out of his mind, and I'm all for Bubba taking care of him. That would be a cool video... maybe!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I'm all for Bubba taking care of him. That would be a cool video..
    Oh slither :0( Your taste in video entertainment is reprehensible young man ;0)

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Oh slither :0( Your taste in video entertainment is reprehensible young man ;0)
    Lol...I put a "maybe" in there.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Meatbomb

Cyclist can legally 'take the lane' on any road and are right to do so on any road they feel is too narrow for safe overtaking three-abreast.

Not true on 'any' road. Around here if their is a bike lane they must stay in it.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Defensive driving is just as important for someone on a bicycle as it is for a car driver. Doesn't make the driver any less at fault. DD isn't a matter of fault at all - it's a matter of protecting yourself - and sometimes it means doing things like riding so a car won't feel like they can squeeze past you when there's oncoming traffic as mentioned above.

"In the right" and dead is, of course, still dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    Defensive driving is just as important for someone on a bicycle as it is for a car driver. Doesn't make the driver any less at fault. DD isn't a matter of fault at all - it's a matter of protecting yourself - and sometimes it means doing things like riding so a car won't feel like they can squeeze past you when there's oncoming traffic as mentioned above.

"In the right" and dead is, of course, still dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Read somewhere not long ago that the stat for motorcyclists is 35 times more chance of injury than in car crash. Bicyclists wouldn't fair any better so I'll say there is a helluva good argument for defensive driving where bikers are concerned and that importance placed on what's at risk.

mtbr member
    There was no other traffic coming the other way, the guy had loads of room to properly pass, instead he chose to dry and drive right over the cyclists, so stop the BS defending the a$$hole, he had absolutely no reason and the cyclists had every reason to be where he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Since this thread was launched I haven't been able to get the vid to play off the link provided. But it was on world news last night on television. Now I get to put in my two cents after viewing the video. The cyclist had every right to be where he was. The motorist had an obligation to pass when it was safe to do so. Waiting for the double yellow line to become broken and pass when the time was clear. Running the bicyclist over like he did and then leaving the scene. Later after he was caught, claiming he never saw or heard the collision, BS. The driver needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. And in my opinion that includes attempted murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I am not defending the asshole driver
    but
    laws or no laws, or signs or no signs.

none of that protects you in the real world.

psychopaths are out there, and you cannot attempt to, nor or think the sign you just passed saying 'cyclists allowed full use of lane' will actually protect you like a magic umbrella. no matter what the law says or the sign says, in real world cycling, you hug the right hand lane at all times, as much as possible. trying to prove a point and use up more than a bike worth of road, can get you killed. as seen in the video.

the law will be on your side if you are lucky enough to live and go to court and fight.
    but in the meantime, get your arse to the side because 'random dickweed in a cage'
    is out there and he don't care

Rabid Lana Fan
    Yeah, there's traffic laws, and then there's physics laws.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Yeah, there's traffic laws, and then there's physics laws.
    and then LDR laws yes??

Rabid Lana Fan
    Yes.

Last edited by net wurker; 07-11-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    In real world cycling, you hug the right hand lane at all times, as much as possible. trying to prove a point and use up more than a bike worth of road, can get you killed.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong.

While there are psychos in the world they are very few. Most drivers will not deliberately try to hit you. Blocking their path will cause them to wait, however unhappy about it they are.

Hugging the kerb encourages them to think it's safe to pass you and their right to do so. Your positioning is like an apology for being on the road! 'I'm so sorry for holding you up, I'll get out of your way now.' It's an invite to overtake.

The biggest danger doesn't come from nutters ramming you off the road like the guy in the video. It comes from normal drivers who are impatient and very poor at judging spaces and the speed and movement of bicycles.

mtbr member
    Very well said and totally agree. Down here our roads are even narrower and you have to "take" the road or they will try to pass you if you hug the side, whether traffic is coming or not, so much so that I "gently" drift to the centre of the lane when approaching most corners down here, as Mr Pig said, most won't actually try to drive over you, but they will try to squeeze past and that's super dangerous and how people end up under vehicles.

While there are psychos in the world they are very few. Most drivers will not deliberately try to hit you. Blocking their path will cause them to wait, however unhappy about it they are.

Hugging the kerb encourages them to think it's safe to pass you and their right to do so. Your positioning is like an apology for being on the road! 'I'm so sorry for holding you up, I'll get out of your way now.' It's an invite to overtake.

The biggest danger doesn't come from nutters ramming you off the road like the guy in the video. It comes from normal drivers who are impatient and very poor at judging spaces and the speed and movement of bicycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Stand-up philosopher
    I love in the Nashville area and saw this story all over my Facebook feed before it made it to the news.

The following picture was in at least one local news story.
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

Stand-up philosopher
    And in reference to the previous comment about recording the ride with a GoPro, many cyclists and motorcyclists do this for this exact reason. Especially since they were able to catch the guy and can prove that it happened... See his affidavit above where he said someone threw a bike at his car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    And in reference to the previous comment about recording the ride with a GoPro, many cyclists and motorcyclists do this for this exact reason. Especially since they were able to catch the guy and can prove that it happened... See his affidavit above where he said someone threw a bike at his car.

Something like and if you don't like the fake news ... go out and make some of your own. -AR TM ... and who's this Bubba guy?

EAT MORE GRIME

well, I can be as wrong as you deem me to be

but I'll be on the extreme right whenever possible, thank you. with my bright-as-f taillight. paying my dues puttin in my road miles, on the fog line. always. staying the hell away from traffic.

how in F can I be inviting disaster by riding on the right ? don't even attempt to answer....you are going way off the reservation there....

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    I love in the Nashville area and saw this story all over my Facebook feed before it made it to the news.

The following picture was in at least one local news story.
    grade A nutcase

I'm not saying this should be the drivers punishment but..

I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I'm not saying this should be the drivers punishment but..

Crazy drivers and bike thieves. Hang um all..A few public executions is what this country needs.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Bikesexual
    Our driver is the guy having a cigarette. "Just get this sh**t over with"!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

High Desert MTBer
    Regarding the place this happened, and whether the bike should have been in the middle of the road or not, I have driven up the Trace often. It is a scenic byway in use by tourists, and has strict speed limits and no commercial traffic. Bicyclists use it as well as motorcyclists and it is quite heavily policed. At least when I was last there. The signs state categorically and evidently that cyclists can use the whole lane, and they often do. This guy was out to get a biker for whatever reason his twisted little mind told him...
    It's all Here. Now.

Cycologist
    well, I can be as wrong as you deem me to be

but I'll be on the extreme right whenever possible, thank you. with my bright-as-f taillight. paying my dues puttin in my road miles, on the fog line. always. staying the hell away from traffic.

how in F can I be inviting disaster by riding on the right ? don't even attempt to answer....you are going way off the reservation there....
    It can depend on the road, etc. I was riding a road that goes alongside a park. There is a bike lane but it was filled with parked cars so I had to take the (car) lane and I took it fully, I didn't want to get doored, I wanted to be seen and I didn't want someone to try to pass me, speed limit is only 25, road winds a bit and obviously tons of people around so if someone tried to pass, a lot of bad things could happen. Too close to the edge can also be risking running off the edge which often results in jerking back into the lane.

I mostly do ride to the right but it is not always the safest thing to do.

Pipe Dreamer

If you read the comments in the thread I linked to below you'll see why I won't be taking the lane, ever, I'll find a place to ride where I don't have to, it's really not that hard in my area. I've seen way worse comments about cyclists on other forums, scroll half way down:

Post a Random Gif Thread... - Page 1193 - Yellow Bullet Forums
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post

If you read the comments in the thread I linked to below you'll see why I won't be taking the lane, ever, I'll find a place to ride where I don't have to, it's really not that hard in my area. I've seen way worse comments about cyclists on other forums, scroll half way down:

Post a Random Gif Thread... - Page 1193 - Yellow Bullet Forums
    From beautiful Alexis - to a jack ass at the bottom!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Meatbomb
    This is why I never ride on the street. I have a 1/4 mile commute to the local trails and there is a bike lane. That's it for me.

High Desert MTBer
    I will occasionally ride about a 1/4 mile of blacktop too here. Just to link a small short cut to the dirt right by my house. This morning a car missed me by a gnat's whisker, and I was in the dinky little 3' bike "lane". He went by with his nearside wheels on the white divider line. Dick. Back to the slightly longer way round with grumpy hikers. Rather take my chance with them than the muppets that drive on the roads.
    He majorly dissed my gruntle...
    It's all Here. Now.

Stand-up philosopher
    I think what happened is that he wanted to scare the cyclist but didn't mean to hit him.... Or at least that's what I hope. Either way, they should throw the book at him.

--
    stephen

Cycologist
    His stupid lies certainly didn't help him any. If the reported incidents of him earlier trying to hit cyclist hold up, then it starts to look premeditated.

mtbr member
    Bad man. Needs removed from society.

EAT MORE GRIME
    his school web page
    now has removed all references to him completely

good

He'll just blame Cyclists for his mounting problems. If he took any personal responsibility he wouldn't have arrived here in the first place.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    He'll just blame Cyclists for his mounting problems. If he took any personal responsibility he wouldn't have arrived here in the first place.
    Yep, if it was an accident, why not STOP!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Yep, if it was an accident, why not STOP!
    Because he never saw the bicyclist or heard the collision.
    *sarcasm*

nvphatty
    Bad man. Needs removed from society.
    your wish is granted.

Cycologist
    Because he never saw the bicyclist or heard the collision.
    *sarcasm*
    Oh yes he did, he claims a guy and gal threw the bicycle at him (he really did say this). But he didn't stop and he didn't report it.

Oh yes he did, he claims a guy and gal threw the bicycle at him (he really did say this). But he didn't stop and he didn't report it.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that little tid bit of believable words spilled forth. A real piece of work he is. Hopefully they get him with whatever is possible under our screwed up laws. Too bad attempted murder won't be added to it.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Too bad attempted murder won't be added to it.
    I don't know why it wouldn't be - a car works just fine as a deadly weapon.

I don't know why it wouldn't be - a car works just fine as a deadly weapon.
    I believe our screwed up society refers to it as [attemped] vehicular manslaughter. Is there such a thing as attempted vehicular manslaughter? Not sure, but even manslauter carries a minimal sentence. Attempted murder is more like what should be pursued.

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm a daily bike commuter.

I recently had a construction van pass very close to me and honk a horn as they went by. I was on the small, residential street where I live with a 25 mph limit, and I was as far right as possible given road debris. I caught him at the red light at the main street and said "What the **** was that?"

The driver jumped out, never tried to get verbal, and punched me. The passenger was directly behind me, so I was boxed in. After making contact twice, he ran back into the truck and took off.

Short version, the sheriff said :maybe he thought you were taking too much off the road."

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post

I recently had a construction van pass very close to me and honk a horn as they went by. I was on the small, residential street where I live with a 25 mph limit, and I was as far right as possible given road debris. I caught him at the red light at the main street and said "What the **** was that?"

The driver jumped out, never tried to get verbal, and punched me. The passenger was directly behind me, so I was boxed in. After making contact twice, he ran back into the truck and took off.

Short version, the sheriff said :maybe he thought you were taking too much off the road."
    That is crazy, did anything come of it? any witnesses?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Where do you live, rural Texas? That sheriff didn't even bother to look for this guy? Did you get his plate #?

nvphatty

prolly the sheriff's dbag son errrr sumtin.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 07-12-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Meatbomb
    Saw a car cut off a motorcyclist to the point he had to leave the road to avoid a collision. He fell in behind the car and at the next stop light pulled up, pulled out his knife and flatted the rear tire.. Justice !

Rides all the bikes!
    That is crazy, did anything come of it? any witnesses?
    None willing to do anything. I had my rear camera on so I have video of the pass, and you hear the audio of the confrontation (including asking if the white trash was okay when he fell after the first swing).

Where do you live, rural Texas? That sheriff didn't even bother to look for this guy? Did you get his plate #?
    Norco, California. We put the south in SOUTHern California! I had to leave the community Facebook page (eventually FB all together) because I couldn't handle all the blatant hate and racism. Serious people talking about wanting to lighting fires to flags that people had hanging up on their own homes if they weren't American flags (I'm a veteran, I support the 1st amendment). Lots of stuff like that.

I swung my bike around when they drove off and got the license plate on my camera. The deputy hummed and hawed about how hard it will be to find the guy, and then there will be a line up, an then all that will happen is a misdemeanor ticket, etc. I told him at the end of the conversation "If I knew you weren't interested in doing anything, I never would have called".

Anyway, I have collected a few medical expenses and lost time at work "making sure I'm okay". Once I have all of those bills racked up, I'll have them track the guy down, do the line up, press charges, then sue for my lost time, medical expenses, etc. And file a complain against the deputy. Because I'm pretty sure if I was attacked in the exact same way on my horse (our trademark is "HorsetownUSA"), he probably would have pulled all the stops to find the guy.

Of course, anyone gets close to injuring my horse, they will be answering questions from a hospital bed.

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    prolly the sheriff's dbag son errrr sumtnin.
    Nah, just a deputy who doesn't give a shit about cyclists.

Cycologist

Any construction going on in your neighborhood? I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to try to track him down given he's already demonstrated he's an a$$hat, but it would be tempting. It's tough but you never know what kind of psycho you're dealing with in a confrontation.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    None willing to do anything. I had my rear camera on so I have video of the pass, and you hear the audio of the confrontation (including asking if the white trash was okay when he fell after the first swing).

Norco, California. We put the south in SOUTHern California! I had to leave the community Facebook page (eventually FB all together) because I couldn't handle all the blatant hate and racism. Serious people talking about wanting to lighting fires to flags that people had hanging up on their own homes if they weren't American flags (I'm a veteran, I support the 1st amendment). Lots of stuff like that.

I swung my bike around when they drove off and got the license plate on my camera. The deputy hummed and hawed about how hard it will be to find the guy, and then there will be a line up, an then all that will happen is a misdemeanor ticket, etc. I told him at the end of the conversation "If I knew you weren't interested in doing anything, I never would have called".

Anyway, I have collected a few medical expenses and lost time at work "making sure I'm okay". Once I have all of those bills racked up, I'll have them track the guy down, do the line up, press charges, then sue for my lost time, medical expenses, etc. And file a complain against the deputy. Because I'm pretty sure if I was attacked in the exact same way on my horse (our trademark is "HorsetownUSA"), he probably would have pulled all the stops to find the guy.

Of course, anyone gets close to injuring my horse, they will be answering questions from a hospital bed.

Misdemeanor ticket? For assault? You could insist on a CA (Citizen's Arrest). Or now that some time has passed, file a civil suit for damages.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Rides all the bikes!
    Any construction going on in your neighborhood? I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to try to track him down given he's already demonstrated he's an a$$hat, but it would be tempting. It's tough but you never know what kind of psycho you're dealing with in a confrontation.
    I didn't volunteer to go to the middle east and come home to live in fear of white trash...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Misdemeanor ticket? For assault? You could insist on a CA (Citizen's Arrest). Or now that some time has passed, file a civil suit for damages.
    Civil suit is the plan.

Cycologist
    I didn't volunteer to go to the middle east and come home to live in fear of white trash...

Civil suit is the plan.
    Good luck and thanks for serving.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    In California is not legal to ride on the sidewalk, and less legal to ride off it into traffic and expect to have right of way. A person jogging or roller skating on the sidewalk who runs or rolls into the crosswalk at speed is not a pedestrian and also lose their right of way. The only way to have the right of way in a case like that is to be a pedestrian, meaning you are walking. Was this in California?

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    There was no other traffic coming the other way, the guy had loads of room to properly pass, instead he chose to dry and drive right over the cyclists, so stop the BS defending the a$$hole, he had absolutely no reason and the cyclists had every reason to be where he was.
    I was not defending the phyco driver at all, please go back and re-read my statement, the driver is 100% at fault. I was just asking a general question as to why someone would take up that lane when they did not need to as it just antagonizes drivers.

I ride from my door to my local trail, about 1/10 of a mile on a busy street that has a bike lane and a side walk. I ride on the side walk because the few times I have used the lane the cars get soo close to me it scares the crap out of me.

I ride a motorcycle too and from work everyday, most of that time on the freeway. I feel much safer on my motorcycle than I do on my bicycle when it comes to being near traffic, bicyclist are literally at the mercy of drivers, many of whom are texting, twittering, facebooking or otherwise too preoccupied with something other than looking at the road.

Some here say using the full lane is safer.... perhaps it is, perhaps not, but I know for sure that is not how I would ride my bicycle on the road. Riding a motorcycle everyday for the last 6 years has taught me that I can only rely on myself and my actions to be safe, and staying as far from traffic is the best way to do that.

Again, just for clarification as some seem to misunderstand my comments. The driver in this particular case is 100% in the wrong, the bicyclist hold no blame.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Klurejr;13245418]In California is not legal to ride on the sidewalk, and less legal to ride off it into traffic and expect to have right of way. A person jogging or roller skating on the sidewalk who runs or rolls into the crosswalk at speed is not a pedestrian and also lose their right of way. The only way to have the right of way in a case like that is to be a pedestrian, meaning you are walking. Was this in California?

Yes sir in San Jose California. Stop sign was run by the car and I'm not sure there was a crosswalk. I'll find out more later but he's probably not gonna be as happy to see me next store visit. There is also a possibility the stop sign could be on private property inside a large parking lot style setting. Thanks for your response.

Shortly after moving to San Diego in the mid 80's. I was a young buck bar hopping along Pacific / Mission Beach on my bike. I was riding on the sidewalk thinking it was safer and a cop pulled me over. Seriously, I'm getting pulled over on a bike I thought. What the heck for? Riding on the sidewalk. I still had an out of state drivers licence so he just gave me a warning. I never heard of such a thing prior.

Rides all the bikes!
    Good luck and thanks for serving.
    Thanks.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Saw a car cut off a motorcyclist to the point he had to leave the road to avoid a collision. He fell in behind the car and at the next stop light pulled up, pulled out his knife and flatted the rear tire.. Justice !
    Thankfully, that wasn't recorded to play as a video

or I'd bet enjoying it all.day.long. and never get anything done.

Co Springs

Good for you... go after them as you've outlined.
    The Sheriff maybe demonstrating his own lack of care or dislike for bicyclists but that's the wrong way to handle things when it's the job.
    I've always had a healthy respect for all versions of LEO. At one time, I'd heard that the SO has a different set of standards for hiring and some that don't 'make the cut' as Police Officers go that direction. Not sure if that is true at all or in some areas and not others and I don't mean any disrespect to any in the SO Dept but, that guy should do a better job of demonstrating standards that are complimentary of SO and all LEO.

Good luck.

mtbr member

Co Springs
    I was just asking a general question as to why someone would take up that lane when they did not need to as it just antagonizes drivers.

I ride from my door to my local trail, about 1/10 of a mile on a busy street that has a bike lane and a side walk. I ride on the side walk because the few times I have used the lane the cars get soo close to me it scares the crap out of me.

I ride a motorcycle too and from work everyday, most of that time on the freeway. I feel much safer on my motorcycle than I do on my bicycle when it comes to being near traffic, bicyclist are literally at the mercy of drivers, many of whom are texting, twittering, facebooking or otherwise too preoccupied with something other than looking at the road.

Some here say using the full lane is safer.... perhaps it is, perhaps not, but I know for sure that is not how I would ride my bicycle on the road. Riding a motorcycle everyday for the last 6 years has taught me that I can only rely on myself and my actions to be safe, and staying as far from traffic is the best way to do that.
    These are a few points I've thought about too.
    On my motorcycle, I feel pretty confident and nothing like I would were I in traffic on a bicycle. The speeds cars pass is so much different -speed differential- that it's no comparison in my estimation. I also believe m/c by their size alone, give some benefit to being seen and especially so if you are riding it with strategy in mind.

As for many of the bicyclists I see that look the part and are serious about it, I see things I'd never do myself and I do understand there are variations in what some think is best, smart, safe or 'correct'.
    I see them wearing things that make them all but invisible, I see them claim the entire lane and I've seen them in a bike lane dedicated to a part of the street.

This section (bike lane) that doesn't include 18" or so along the curbside where debris usually collects offers plenty of room for the whole bike, the person and their elbows. It's delineated with soild white lines and here's the fun part .... More than a few of these riders ride with tires on the white line that puts half of the bike, handlebar and their body where vehicles moving at speed are expected to be meaning they leave 2 feet of unused bike lane that was dedicated, and budgeted for them.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 07-14-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Cycologist
    I've seen a couple of times when I was driving and cyclist were in the road, right next to a multiuser path. Once there were three guys, one on a bent. The second one was a long straight away, there is a traffic light for the road as another road dead ends into it but the path is on the opposite side and you don't have to stop, you can just blast through. No cuts in the path, RR track on the opposite side. Both times there were not other people on the paths at all. Both times I felt my blood pressure rising and I really wanted to tell them "you're not so "pro" that you can't use the path; it's no wonder car drivers hate us". And I figure if we don't use the paths, the city will stop building them. I know on a lot of paths, you can't just crank away but it makes us look bad if there is a path and a cyclist is in the road.

I've seen a couple of times when I was driving and cyclist were in the road, right next to a multiuser path. Once there were three guys, one on a bent. The second one was a long straight away, there is a traffic light for the road as another road dead ends into it but the path is on the opposite side and you don't have to stop, you can just blast through. No cuts in the path, RR track on the opposite side. Both times there were not other people on the paths at all. Both times I felt my blood pressure rising and I really wanted to tell them "you're not so "pro" that you can't use the path; it's no wonder car drivers hate us". And I figure if we don't use the paths, the city will stop building them. I know on a lot of paths, you can't just crank away but it makes us look bad if there is a path and a cyclist is in the road.
    I guess the old adage "build it and they will come" doesn't apply here. I've seen the same thing many a time in my area. It's ironic that bicyclists are their own worst enemy, whether it be dirt or road.

Bannėd
    Regarding riding a bike on sidewalks in California being against the law... it depends. Cycling laws are uniform throughout the state but individual cities have the right to determine if cyclists can or cannot use the sidewalk.

Some streets are too narrow so you'll often see a green sign with a bike rider on it that says "sidewalk ok" or something like it. That's not always the case though so you can check with your city cycling laws. There are portions of PCH near my old house that allowed bikes on the sidewalk and the signs are present.

Found a picture of the exact sign in Newport Beach that I am talking about:

Caught!-img_2779.jpg
    That's more than Catfish would do.

Bikesexual
    Sweet!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Why is this not attempted murder? And I am not kidding. This guy attempted to use his car as a weapon to kill someone.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    I've seen a couple of times when I was driving and cyclist were in the road, right next to a multiuser path.
    The problem with multi-user paths are that they are..multi-user.

Bike paths are typically littered with walkers, kids, dog-walkers and dogs running around. They often take convoluted routes and have other paths and roads crossing them. Usually, they are an afterthought shoehorned in around existing infrastructure and are far from ideal.

They are fine for casual cyclists and kids but you never see serous cyclists here in Scotland using them. One of the problems with them is that they encourage drivers to think that cyclists have no right to be on the road. This is exactly the sort of attitude behind actions like the ones that caused this thread and is the opposite of what you want to achieve.

What you want is for drivers to realise that bikes have as much right to be on the road as they do. It can be done, look at Holland.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Why is this not attempted murder? And I am not kidding. This guy attempted to use his car as a weapon to kill someone.
    Agreed.

Bike paths are typically littered with walkers, kids, dog-walkers and dogs running around. They often take convoluted routes and have other paths and roads crossing them. Usually, they are an afterthought shoehorned in around existing infrastructure and are far from ideal.

They are fine for casual cyclists and kids but you never see serous cyclists here in Scotland using them. One of the problems with them is that they encourage drivers to think that cyclists have no right to be on the road. This is exactly the sort of attitude behind actions like the ones that caused this thread and is the opposite of what you want to achieve.

What you want is for drivers to realise that bikes have as much right to be on the road as they do. It can be done, look at Holland.
    Some paths are for bikes only, depends on the area.

Being from Scotland you need to understand that the US, primarily the states outside of the original 13 colonies, developed and grew for the most part in the last century and they grew around the Automobile, not around the pedestrian or horseback riders. Thus the primary way of getting around is generally by car, almost everyone has one and the thought process is always Car-first. I am not saying that is a good thing, just that it is a reality. IMO this is a main factor in why public transportation is so horrible. Cities and suburban areas were designed with the car in mind, not the cyclist or the pedestrian. In some places that is starting to change, but it is a very slow change.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Cycologist

As I mentioned, these particular paths were empty. These are ones that just parallel the roadway, there are several multiuse paths around that are more nature paths that do see a lot of traffic, though they are still good for a nice bike ride, especially once you get out a bit from the "start". This is all in the suburbs, not the big city.

In an earlier post I mentioned having to take the lane due to cars parked in the bike lane (different area). There is also a multiuse path there but it is commonly pretty crowded so there is also a bike lane and signs that say bikes can take the full lane. This is just a road along a river/park; not very long.

Rides all the bikes!
    I don't know of any bike only paths in my area. Here's one example of a path in my area found on YouTube:

(Mute your speakers)

https://youtu.be/9JdgrJWdmRE

Bikesexual
    I don't know of any bike only paths in my area. Here's one example of a path in my area found on YouTube:

(Mute your speakers)

I just rode this 2 weeks ago. There was a sign "be carefu with Pitbull" lol.

Very sad! I hadn't taken that route in a while. It continues along the river bank, but more scattered. The day I rode, there were cops kicking people out.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rides all the bikes!
    Here's another example of a different problem in a different area.

(No music)

https://youtu.be/nkeQMPQ-jQk

EAT MORE GRIME
    edit: deleted

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator

(Mute your speakers)

That is the sort of trail I was thinking about. There seriously needs to be way more of those in most us cities.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    To be fair. He did it on purpose.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member

but taking selfies/gopro while riding? that was not the intent of the law I betcha...

GoPro is on the other riders helmet. No selfies were involved in this incident.

What are you trying to claim?
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

Bikesexual
    That is the sort of trail I was thinking about. There seriously needs to be way more of those in most us cities.
    I agree, once you get passed the view from the video, it is a great mellow ride all the way to Huntington Beach, and it ends @ Sunset Beach. 23.5 miles one way. (from Anaheim)

It is nice to feel safe, and not have cars breathing down your neck. The homeless seemed harmless, but is not a pretty sight.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

(Mute your speakers)

I just rode this 2 weeks ago. There was a sign "be carefu with Pitbull" lol.

Very sad! I hadn't taken that route in a while. It continues along the river bank, but more scattered. The day I rode, there were cops kicking people out.
    Wow all the times I've passed that stadium I never realized that homeless camp was down there. Pretty sketchy area even without it.

Bikesexual
    Wow all the times I've passed that stadium I never realized that homeless camp was down there. Pretty sketchy area even without it.
    I was in shock to be honest. Maybe 5 years since I rode that path, it was never like that. There is a park with a lake on the way that is sketchy!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I agree, once you get passed the view from the video, it is a great mellow ride all the way to Huntington Beach, and it ends @ Sunset Beach. 23.5 miles one way. (from Anaheim)

It is nice to feel safe, and not have cars breathing down your neck. The homeless seemed harmless, but is not a pretty sight.
    I spent part of my Childhood in Laguna Hills and our family would on occasion ride the Aliso Creek Trail, a very similar bike path.

There is one not too far from me now in Oceanside that follows the river down to the Oceanside Harbor. I have ridden it a few times with my wife.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Thus the primary way of getting around is generally by car, almost everyone has one and the thought process is always Car-first. I am not saying that is a good thing, just that it is a reality.
    It's a different situation in the UK but the outcome is similar. Most towns and cities were laid out before cars existed so space is tight. Roads are often narrow and there is no room for proper bike paths. Planners prioritise car use to the detriment of everything else. It would be almost impossible to ride a horse through most large towns today.

Bikesexual
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Cycologist
    Wow, didn't know it was the guy's first ride. Much respect for his plans to ride again.

Wow, didn't know it was the guy's first ride. Much respect for his plans to ride again.
    Yes I agree but: We need to turn him on to the dirt. Who's at fault 99.99999% of the time in the dirt? Yourself that's who.

Good to see he's not deterred though. Warriors is what we build. Pussies fall thru the cracks and take up golf.

Bikesexual
    And, first ride since he was a kid.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    And, first ride since he was a kid.
    And the driver is a drunk who beats his kid. Real cherub right enough.

Explains it. He was probably drunk. That's why he didn't stop, couldn't tell the truth about why he hit the guy. One cool outcome is that things might go worse for him!

Bikesexual
    And the driver is a drunk who beats his kid. Real cherub right enough.

Explains it. He was probably drunk. That's why he didn't stop, couldn't tell the truth about why he hit the guy. One cool outcome is that things might go worse for him!
    I know lol his own son turned him over. In a case like this social media was a huge help.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I know lol his own son turned him over.
    Going to make for a few interesting dinner table conversations eh? ;0)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Going to make for a few interesting dinner table conversations eh? ;0)
    Better than talking politics with your drunk racist uncle.

mtbr member
    Better than talking politics with your drunk racist uncle.
    Let's face it, drunk people are just a pain in the arse generally.

A few year ago my wife and I were in a pub in Edinburgh, trying to have a quiet drink in the corner when we got pinned down by the redundant drunk. Piano teacher with strong political views and we could not get piece from him. It was brutal.

I stopped drinking years ago when I realised that that the only people who think drunks are clever are other drunks. Everyone else knows you're a slobbering mess.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Let's face it, drunk people are just a pain in the arse generally.

A few year ago my wife and I were in a pub in Edinburgh, trying to have a quiet drink in the corner when we got pinned down by the redundant drunk. Piano teacher with strong political views and we could not get piece from him. It was brutal.

I stopped drinking years ago when I realised that that the only people who think drunks are clever are other drunks. Everyone else knows you're a slobbering mess.
    I drink perhaps once a month, and I don't think I have been drunk in 20 years.

I take that back, I did get drunk when we were on vacation in Jamaica about five years ago and we did the 9 Mile tour. OK, in all fairness it wasn't "drunk", exactly...

For the most part I agree with you, I don't see a lot of value for myself in getting actually drunk. I don't have any problems with drinking though.

mtbr member
    For the most part I agree with you, I don't see a lot of value for myself in getting actually drunk. I don't have any problems with drinking though.
    I'm not a Nazi about it. My wife drinks wine, my buddies drink beer, I don't care but I don't like the taste of alcohol anyway so it's an easy thing to give up.