mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Can anyone explain this to me?

Im not usually one to step on someones creativity but if any of you could PLEASE explain to me in any way shape or form that this represents art, it would be much appreciated.

Lilith June 5, 2010 - Melati Suryodarmo - butterdance.mov - YouTube
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Titanium junkie
    I REALLY don't know what to tell you.
    But I can say that this is why we need more
    funding for Art's in school for our kids.
    I didn't watch the whole thing, did she finally roll
    in it?
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    About 1:38 she busts her ass pretty hard. I was waiting for the iminent broken ankle.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    just a performance piece....not anything ground breaking - very 'student'ish and weak..

if you want some of the original mind blowing crap check out Chris Burden...he did some fairly whack-a-doo performance...

or if you have a strong stomach there is the Vienna Actionists (I am not linking to that stuff fer sure...you shouldn't eiither ). Got to hang out with a couple of the original cast and watch some of their flicks...

was disturbing...to the max...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So that really does pass as art in some circles? Im not trying to be a ***** I really want to know wtf is going on in that video lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    So that really does pass as art in some circles? Im not trying to be a ***** I really want to know wtf is going on in that video lol.
    yes. that passes for art in some circles....small circles...

there is some really weird art out there....it's not all couch paintings...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I guess I just fail to see as to how that is "art". I guess this is because in art terms im a much more conventional person. I see art as things created using some sort of creative talent such as a painting, a movie, a script, a play, etc...... I feel like this video should be included in some kind of lame hipster version of Jackass.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

AZ
    banned
    Just depends on your perspective. I see an F40 as art, others just see an expensive car. My two cents, which with inflation isn't worth anything.

mtbr member
    I don't know...I thought it was pretty slick

since 4/10/2009
    IMO, if you're left with a resounding confusion centered on WHY someone would do something, it's not good art.

Good art takes thought, but it makes you think and leaves something more than just confusion behind.

I'm sure I haven't seen anything closest to the weirdest stuff out there, but I have seen more than enough crap to tide me over for the rest of my life.

And yes, she takes more than one dive on stage.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Im not usually one to step on someones creativity but if any of you could PLEASE explain to me in any way shape or form that this represents art, it would be much appreciated.

It's a non-verbal expression of the possibilities of life -- in other words, EAT A LOT OF BUTTER, AND SOON YOUR LIFE WILL BE CONSUMED BY IT, BOTH FROM WITHIN AND WITHOUT!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Just depends on your perspective. I see an F40 as art, others just see an expensive car. My two cents, which with inflation isn't worth anything.
    then you would like this one:

F50 GT1....1 prototype (my bosses) and 2 others made from parts exist.

i got to sit it in it...

it was skurry.....

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

i got to sit it in it...

it was skurry.....

Oh yeah. The stuff of dreams. Thanks for posting that.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I can't re-find it right now, but I remember running into a cartoon of barbies for all the different dance disciplines.

University Modern Dance Barbie does everything with flexed feet and falls on her ass a lot.

Real dancers usually have 4-8 years of real training behind them before they're stage-ready. Going to see a good dance company is a transcendent experience. BA programs are full of people doing prop dances and falling down.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Ride More, Work Less
    Was it art? Sort of. We are discussing it. It was different so therefore somewhat inspired. It certainly wasn't for me, though.

To put it in perspective, belly dancing is sort of odd. Dancing with snakes is really odd. Dancing like a robot I don't understand. Me dancing...well, I won't even go there.

Beethoven's works late in his life were hated and thought to be complete garbage. Yet, they changed the world. I'm not saying butterface is Beethoven, but sometimes we just don't get it at the time.
    Last edited by heyyall; 04-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry for being so "OLD" with these statements but, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "Different strokes for different folks". I think Mother Nature is probably the best artist and some people do a pretty good job too. Not very fond of that vid as art, but that red car is a beaut.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

poser Administrator

i got to sit it in it...

it was skurry.....
    Totally off topic but i have never appreciated the ferrari supercars that came after the F40. The F40 was a racecar for the street. The rest were street cars based on race technology. The F40, no radio, no AC, brawn and balls all wrapped in a minimal NACA ducted skin. Each successive version was a step towards creature comforts, flappy shifters, AC, sound deadening, operable windows.

Of course this doesn't include the FXX, which is to the F40 what a modern day F1 car is to Jim Clarks lotus.

I'd still hoon the hell out of this however. Bet it goes like 40 skidoos!

That said back to art: my family owned an art gallery for a long time they represented a lot of artists. Some fabulously talented and now moving up the Canadian art scene. Some not so much, but the bottom of the heap IMO was one lady that would let her kids draw on a canvas with some crayon then she would color them in. That is right, she was selling a coloring book essentially.

What really blew my mind is that people bought it. She had shows and people came, talk about it in glowing terms.

Art is so subjective that pretty much anything is called art. Same with cars, and architecture (a subject I won't get into here...you're welcome!)
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Totally off topic but i have never appreciated the ferrari supercars that came after the F40. The F40 was a racecar for the street. The rest were street cars based on race technology. The F40, no radio, no AC, brawn and balls all wrapped in a minimal NACA ducted skin. Each successive version was a step towards creature comforts, flappy shifters, AC, sound deadening, operable windows.

Of course this doesn't include the FXX, which is to the F40 what a modern day F1 car is to Jim Clarks lotus.

I'd still hoon the hell out of this however. Bet it goes like 40 skidoos!

That said back to art: my family owned an art gallery for a long time they represented a lot of artists. Some fabulously talented and now moving up the Canadian art scene. Some not so much, but the bottom of the heap IMO was one lady that would let her kids draw on a canvas with some crayon then she would color them in. That is right, she was selling a coloring book essentially.

What really blew my mind is that people bought it. She had shows and people came, talk about it in glowing terms.

Art is so subjective that pretty much anything is called art. Same with cars, and architecture (a subject I won't get into here...you're welcome!)
    Ive always preferred these over Ferrari's. However Ive ridden in a 458 italia, and its just an excellent car.

2010 Giant Yukon FX

poser Administrator
    Ive always preferred these over Ferrari's. However Ive ridden in a 458 italia, and its just an excellent car.

Just to be clear: This is the reigning king of amazing. It just clicked through 250mph on the straight at the Nurburgring. VW need a 5miles pool table flat test course to do the same with its bugatti veyron. The thing is a monster and yet civilized enough to drive everyday. If I had all the pennies in the world this would totally be in my garage.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Koenigseggs have always had a special place for me, however just based on looks and sound the Pagani Zondas have always been my absolute favorite. Of course for the the less than half the price of any of those a Underground Racing tweaked Gallardo Superleggera will eat their lunch lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

poser Administrator
    Koenigseggs have always had a special place for me, however just based on looks and sound the Pagani Zondas have always been my absolute favorite. Of course for the the less than half the price of any of those a Underground Racing tweaked Gallardo Superleggera will eat their lunch lol.
    I agree that that pagani's have a sound that is akin to gargling broken glass and rusty nails and hits all the right noises. If I had my druthers it would be a F40 LM on top of everything.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WPcMCyUDViQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gives me goosebumps.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    At :33 seconds it makes the EXACT same noise my lawnmower makes when it starts up lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Totally off topic but i have never appreciated the ferrari supercars that came after the F40. The F40 was a racecar for the street. The rest were street cars based on race technology. The F40, no radio, no AC, brawn and balls all wrapped in a minimal NACA ducted skin. Each successive version was a step towards creature comforts, flappy shifters, AC, sound deadening, operable windows....

the one pictured is the F50 GT1 (there was only 1 prototype made). there is 1 seat. no carpet. no door panels. all gauges have that 'ticker' tape for labels (in Italian) w/ orange nail polish painted arrows pointing to switches....

it's 1800 lbs and 720bhp - 0-60 in 3.2 seconds...this car is only a race car - 100% not-streetable...and not comfortable unless you are about 5'8"

now, the Enzo OTOH is plush in comparison
    * my boss has a gnarly collection...but won't let me drive any of them *
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone explain this to me?-enzo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree that that pagani's have a sound that is akin to gargling broken glass and rusty nails and hits all the right noises. If I had my druthers it would be a F40 LM on top of everything.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfsTsHGgOhg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gives me goosebumps.

I'll see your Ferrari and raise you a Pagani... (skip to 1:10)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfsTsHGgOhg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

poser Administrator

the one pictured is the F50 GT1 (there was only 1 prototype made). there is 1 seat. no carpet. no door panels. all gauges have that 'ticker' tape for labels (in Italian) w/ orange nail polish painted arrows pointing to switches....

it's 1800 lbs and 720bhp - 0-60 in 3.2 seconds...this car is only a race car - 100% not-streetable...and not comfortable unless you are about 5'8"

now, the Enzo OTOH is plush in comparison
    * my boss has a gnarly collection...but won't let me drive any of them *
    I hate you a lot right now. My boss drives a SVT ford focus or my forester when she is home on the weekends.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Funny I got negative rep from posting: Some fabulously talented and now moving up the Canadian art scene.

Which is weird. Guess someone has a beef with the Canadian art scene or something. I figured I would get negative rep for steadfastly sticking to my F40 is better than anything else out there stance. Evidently the Canadian art scene is much more polarizing than it was when we had the Art Gallery.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Tool

Back to Buttergirl for a second....

She looks like a woman who used to work in my office. Man, we guessed waaay wrong about the bruises on her knees.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

The White Jeff W
    Fat girl covered in butter. If that aint art then I dont know what is
    No moss...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    drives a SVT ford focus
    That is a nice little car. I had it for a year and sold it when my first kid was born. Should have kept it.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    That is a nice little car. I had it for a year and sold it when my first kid was born. Should have kept it.
    agreed. We have had it since new. It's a competition orange 2 door with the european appearance package. Love the recaro seats and the fun to drive attitude. Wish it was the 4dr model however but that is what the subaru is for.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just dont ever offer to put a clutch in one. Im done working on fwd cars after doing a clutch in a SVT focus.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Ride More, Work Less
    Funny I got negative rep from posting: Some fabulously talented and now moving up the Canadian art scene.

Which is weird. Guess someone has a beef with the Canadian art scene or something. I figured I would get negative rep for steadfastly sticking to my F40 is better than anything else out there stance. Evidently the Canadian art scene is much more polarizing than it was when we had the Art Gallery.
    What has the world come to? Rockcrusher is talking about his negative rep and hijacked a butter dance thread. Off Camber is GREAT!

poser Administrator

i got to sit it in it...

it was skurry.....
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    What has the world come to? Rockcrusher is talking about his negative rep and hijacked a butter dance thread. Off Camber is GREAT!
    Hey now my rep comment was on topic and if you see above CHUM hijacked first I just ran with it. It is always CHUM's fault don't you know?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Ride More, Work Less
    Chum sat in a Ferrari...he gets a pass.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Chum sat in a Ferrari...he gets a pass.
    No you are right and not just any ferrari, a singularly rare factory race car out of his bosses collection that includes an Enzo.

"rockcrusher hangs his head in shame and sulks off to the corner"
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

~ B A D A S S ~

Hey man thats art. Also the video interior semiotics is art Interior Semiotics | Know Your Meme pure art.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

No you are right and not just any ferrari, a singularly rare factory race car out of his bosses collection that includes an Enzo.

"rockcrusher hangs his head in shame and sulks off to the corner"
    so sorry about this:

first left handed driver Ferrari ever produced was for King Leopold III of Belgium...

He owns that one too..

and I got to check it out.

there are more...and they are scary rare...

Ride More, Work Less
    Who do you work for???? Gates? Buffett? Leno?
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

poser Administrator
    so sorry about this:

first left handed driver Ferrari ever produced was for King Leopold III of Belgium...

He owns that one too..

and I got to check it out.

there are more...and they are scary rare...
    Is that a california? Amazing car. Pebble beach concours?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Weird huh?

i got to sit it in it...

it was skurry.....
    Interesting. The car may be the stuff of every boy's fantasy, but the aircraft in the background, is dated and denotes a somewhat lack of funds and respect in my world. If you want some cred, you need to have a G-IV or G-450...minimum.
    Amazing what they use as props for aircraft when they don't know any better!

As for the 'art', bathe her and bring her to Butthead...

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lol the negative rep ive got lately cracks me the hell up. Someone gave me neg rep and put "rep begger - go beg like a dog for more rep". Dude, get a life. Seriously.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Interesting. The car may be the stuff of every boy's fantasy, but the aircraft in the background, is dated and denotes a somewhat lack of funds and respect in my world. If you want some cred, you need to have a G-IV or G-450...minimum.

As for the 'art', bathe her and bring her to Butthead...
    I fact that it is at the Monterey Jet Center and the stand behind the car is has beechcraft on it makes me thing the car is the prop not the planes. Could be wrong but something tells me CHUM's boss is a little rich.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A little? lol
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Props? I thought that was the podium and the car had taken first.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

...something tells me CHUM's boss is a little rich.
    him = yes

me = no

but his collection is freakishly rad to the max...

Members who have read this thread: 0