• Ew camping is dirty

10 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camping....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Its still a tent, you still hear the birds in the morning that wake up you. You still get the sunlight breaking through the tent fabric. They are a waste of money. The only appeal, for women, would be the kitchen and a toilet to sit on, maybe a shower (do they have showers?). Instead of spending thousands and buying a license plate, spend a couple hundred on a tent and a hun on a good stove setup. Otherwise buy a 12 or 16' travel trailer.
    Grew up camping with pop ups. As a kid, I'd sleep in the tent while my parents and sister were in the camper. My now wife and I bought a nice tent, and used it for 6 years. No problems, but with the back and joint issues I have it was beginning to be a huge pain to have to crawl down to get into bed. We bought a pop up late last summer. Much larger than the ones I had growing up. It has a slide out as well. We actually took the porta potty it came with out because we didn't need it. So much bigger, places to sit if it's raining, and we don't have to worry about the mosquitoes when we're trying to eat meals inside. I also now don't have to haul a bunch of totes with all of our gear because I can keep it in the camper. Ours came with roof bars so we can mount bike racks, kayak racks, etc. on top. Our camper is bigger inside than my brother in laws hard side Winnebago, weighs less (I tow with a Jeep, with a max tow capacity of 3500lbs), and can sleep more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The ONLY appeal, huh? And only for women? *eyeroll*

You know so much.

Let's not forget that they are about the cheapest way to get space in a camper. They're also very lightweight relative to that space. You have real mattresses to sleep on. Multiple beds. A sink, onboard water tank(s), propane stove, a covered and enclosed table and seating area, and so on. Considering the variety of sizes I see, some probably have showers/toilets and some don't.

I get how others might want one. Not what I'd ever want, but I get it.

I was mostly trying to clarify whether the discussion was about the overland cargo trailers with rooftop tents on top of them or the old style popups.
    I originally wanted to get a tear drop trailer, it would have been about the same price as the pop up we ended up buying, with far less amenities. With the type of camping we mostly do, it didn't make sense. For the offroad adventures we'll take the tent and deal with it for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Surprised by all the pop-up hate. They seem so nice and airy compared to the little fiberglass heat boxes.
    Yea, I don't get all the hate either. Pop ups can still get really warm inside with no wind because of the humidity. You can get them with an AC (I don't have any experience with it though). The pop up we bought has an electric vent fan that helps get air moving, and with all the windows, it's not bad, but can' be a little warm, but feels way more open than other campers we've been in.

Edit: Forgot to add, ours also has a king, queen and a double bed.. Not bad in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Rain fires

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Riding

mtbr member
    And camping

A waste of time it is is
    Wow whalenard, looks lke you had an incredible trip.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Wow whalenard, looks lke you had an incredible trip.
    Indeed, any trip where there’s enough relaxation for one to balance a beverage on one’s knee, would go down as an incredible trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    nice trip. I could use a bike trip. I got out a few weeks ago, but no bikes on that one. it was a shakedown trip with the pup, so we got to see how he was in the teardrop (he was GREAT with the camper) and also got to work with him in the canoe (he also did great). I want to get him to the point where he can run with the bikes, but he's still a bit young for that and his training isn't there yet. He has a REALLY strong prey drive, so we're still working on recall reliability. Also working on building his stamina. As it is, I don't think he'll be very good to run with bikes in the summertime because of the heat and his coat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Indeed, any trip where there’s enough relaxation for one to balance a beverage on one’s knee, would go down as an incredible trip.
    Ha! Ain't that the truth.

Snow Dog
    we are going glamping up in Michigan next week. Have to do that with the family. The wife''s rule is " I will go if there are flush toilets"....I still try to rough it as much as I can, but her and the kids were only raised in resorts and hotels. I married into it1

Still, it is Michigan and outside.

Sadly, the weather is going to be hotter than normal....ugh
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    we are going glamping up in Michigan next week. Have to do that with the family. The wife''s rule is " I will go if there are flush toilets"....I still try to rough it as much as I can, but her and the kids were only raised in resorts and hotels. I married into it1

Still, it is Michigan and outside.

Sadly, the weather is going to be hotter than normal....ugh

No way! I'm also going Glamping next week. But sadly nowhere as cool as Michigan. My family and I are renting a cabin a lake Hope.

Too bad my new bike isn't in yet otherwise I would have checked out the trails down there!

Gew
    mtbr member
    Love this thread. Love hiking. Sleeping outdoors. The tent life, and everything about it. Tomorrow I'm going to buy my life's first camping stove. I'm considering whether to go for a gas one or a fluid one. What's your experience? Pros and cons?

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    Love this thread. Love hiking. Sleeping outdoors. The tent life, and everything about it. Tomorrow I'm going to buy my life's first camping stove. I'm considering whether to go for a gas one or a fluid one. What's your experience? Pros and cons?
    Backpacking, car camping, ???
    "…it has long been said: oft evil will shall evil mar."
    — Tolkien

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like gas, it doesn't spill all over everything.

A waste of time it is is
    Wish I was camping now.

Duck Fonald
    Wish I was camping now.
    Some suggestions: https://hiconsumption.com/best-place...united-states/

Camping....-olympic-national-park-washington-0.jpg
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

A waste of time it is is
    Curse you Finche, that's just rubbing salt into the wounds.

But also thank you, some incredible images there. Interested to know what makes Olympic National Park, Washington "Very dangerous for solo missions" I'm guessing with suspended tree tents recommended it's bears, but I thought bears could climb?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    Depends how you're going to use it.

I have an ultralight fishing kit that I can carry backpacking/bikepacking (I probably ought to update it to add a fly rod when I'll be around trout streams) and I'll occasionally eat fish that I've caught.

If all you'll ever be doing with your stove is boiling water for coffee/tea/dehydrated food, then a liquid alcohol stove might be all you need. These things are mechanically the simplest sorts of stoves. I have one that I made from a cat food tin. All I did was drill some holes in the side to move air. It holds enough fuel to boil enough water to rehydrate a pre-packaged dehydrated meal or make a cup of coffee.

But if you need to simmer because you're actually going to cook (not just adjustability but more fuel capacity)? Gas all the way (little canister-top stoves are a respectable balance of this capability and light weight). And if you'll be doing the camp gourmet thing, a remote canister stove might be a better idea (they're more stable for bigger pans). If you'll be doing winter camping, a remote canister stove with a preheating loop in the fuel line is a bare minimum (invert the canister to get a liquid feed, and the preheating loop vaporizes the fuel so it will burn). But that's only any good for temps barely below freezing. Too cold and the fuel won't even flow out of your canister. In that case, you need a stove that can burn white gas that you put in a fuel can that you can pressurize yourself.

My remote canister stove is a Primus multifuel stove that can also burn white gas (with its fuel cylinder and pump), so it covers those bases. It can do the global traveler thing, too, since it will also burn kerosene or gasoline if I change the nozzle. The most I've ever done with it is camp gourmet with larger pans, and winter-lite use where I inverted the fuel cylinder for a gravity feed.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Kindof a crappy article. It actually used the word, "varmints" I mean come on. Not only that, but it doesn't offer any objective criteria for this list. Sure, some of the places in that list are iconic spots that just about anyone with half a brain knows exist (which means camping in those places is likely to be a diminished experience), but others make no sense.

Curse you Finche, that's just rubbing salt into the wounds.

But also thank you, some incredible images there. Interested to know what makes Olympic National Park, Washington "Very dangerous for solo missions" I'm guessing with suspended tree tents recommended it's bears, but I thought bears could climb?
    Oh, I'm sure the suspended tree tents are just a novelty way to get people to pay more for "premium" campsites. Same idea as yurts, glamping tents, and even cabins. My understanding of the Olympics is that the remoteness is pretty remarkable for the lower 48. Not only is it remote, but the terrain is rugged, and LOTS of water. But that statement is another example of how the article Finchy posted is junk. That statement simply isn't explained.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If all you'll ever be doing with your stove is boiling water for coffee/tea/dehydrated food, then a liquid alcohol stove might be all you need. These things are mechanically the simplest sorts of stoves. I have one that I made from a cat food tin. All I did was drill some holes in the side to move air. It holds enough fuel to boil enough water to rehydrate a pre-packaged dehydrated meal or make a cup of coffee.
    I'm a big fan of alcohol stoves (see some posts I made in the "OC Quarantine Activities" thread). One thing to be aware of is some jurisdictions don't allow them as part of general bans on open fires (like during high fire danger season). Basically, if there is no on/off switch for the flame, they're banned. This is sort of silly because you can easily snuff out most alcohol stoves, and make them pretty much spill-proof by using a wicking material like carbon felt or fiberglass insulation. That said, a fire in the Angeles NF was started by campers that dumped over a lit alcohol stove. Thankfully it didn't get too big.
    "…it has long been said: oft evil will shall evil mar."
    — Tolkien

Real eyes realize real lies.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I'm a big fan of alcohol stoves (see some posts I made in the "OC Quarantine Activities" thread). One thing to be aware of is some jurisdictions don't allow them as part of general bans on open fires (like during high fire danger season). Basically, if there is no on/off switch for the flame, they're banned. This is sort of silly because you can easily snuff out most alcohol stoves, and make them pretty much spill-proof by using a wicking material like carbon felt or fiberglass insulation. That said, a fire in the Angeles NF was started by campers that dumped over a lit alcohol stove. Thankfully it didn't get too big.
    good point. the only way my alky stove is getting put out is by burning though its fuel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123