mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Building workshop, need opinions

Hey guys Im trying to set up my own workshop in a 25' x 35' space with 1 man door and 1 overhead door. Ive recently started a company that designs and produces affordable boatbuilding kits for the ametuer wood worker. I really just hope to create enough profit to set up and run my own pro workshop (a dream of mine). The idea is too have it split between woodworking for the business and a mechanic style shop with a car bay (Im also a marine mechanic at a dealership by day). I know the picture is bad, so Ill try to explain it a little.

The shop entrance is on the left of the photo with the man door and overhead door. In the upper right is a small room to attempt to contain the noise from the compressor and dust collector. then theres a work bench running down the right side of the pic, with a finger of work bench to seperate the sides and provide a good location for the table saw, router table, and miter box. the little rectangle by the room is the drill press, with a small toolbox for bits and such. Near it is the band saw. The dust collector will be plumbed to all wood tools with blast gates. There is also an extension cord reel on the wood side as well as my trailer. On the mechanical side, another extension cord reel, air hose reel, my toolbox, and various jacks and such.

I just want opinions or any nifty ideas. I need to find a good way to store: uncut 8' stock, cut components ready for boxing, and boxed inventory without blocking up car bay or work area.

mtbr member
    Id suggest plumbing the place with black steel pipe for compressed air, with multiple drops around the shop for air hookups. Its surprisingly cheap and easy to do, adds air capacity, and gives you dry clean air. You can also get away with using pretty short hoses instead of dragging one huge one on a reel. Also lets you store the compressor in the best spot without worrying about where the hose has to go.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    Haha, thanks to you, Ive been sitting in front of my computer for hours....

But seriously, most of those on that site are pretty sweet, but I dont understand the people that build a 2000 sqft garage capable of little more than an oil change with couches and decorations everywhere! I got some good ideas though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Id suggest plumbing the place with black steel pipe for compressed air, with multiple drops around the shop for air hookups. Its surprisingly cheap and easy to do, adds air capacity, and gives you dry clean air. You can also get away with using pretty short hoses instead of dragging one huge one on a reel. Also lets you store the compressor in the best spot without worrying about where the hose has to go.
    Thanks for the info! and on the subject of compressors, Im looking to buy a new one. Right now I have a 20 gal. Husky that puts out 4.1 scfm at the sound level of the damn space shuttle. Im looking to go to a more professional style system, the first that catches my eye is the PUMA Airsystems 20 Gal. It has a belt drive, cast iron pump, all the "its gunna last forever" type of things, but for only 499.99. PK5020VP Puma 20-Gallon (Belt Drive) Dual-Voltage Cast-Iron Air Compressor
    I wont be using constant draw tools like sanders on it, so Im okay with 20 Gal.

Any other beefy compressors in that range?

poser Administrator
    Maybe consider a hoisted storage for the wood. Something you can rack the wood on then using rope and pulleys or a garage door opener repurposed lift up into the rafter space.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0