Boating- Mtbr.com

Thread: Boating

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Boating

Any of you folks into boating? What's your hobby? Fishing? Skiing? Wake boarding/Surfing?

I sold my '00 Centurion in '15 and I'm starting to get the bug again. I owned it from '06 to '15 and missed her as soon as she left my driveway. It was as near trouble-free as I could have dared to hope.

Boating-lake-francis_11-1.jpg
    This was my baby.

I'm heading to look at a classic in a couple of hours. We'll see if it's anything and will post, if I pop for it.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Up In Smoke
    Eek, bust out another thousand

Stand up jet-ski's count as boats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Yeah, what Train Wreck said. Trails are ruined because e-bikes are there.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post

Hell yeah!

...and I know all the old adages, but (and maybe I got lucky) owning that boat was easy! I put the tower on it and a nice sound system, but that was pretty much the extent of the costs after purchase.

mtbr member
    I think those that are mechanically inclined have a much different relationship with machinery vs those that are not. Me, I like friends and family with boats but that's more for monetary reasons than the aforementioned.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think those that are mechanically inclined have a much different relationship with machinery vs those that are not. Me, I like friends and family with boats but that's more for monetary reasons than the aforementioned.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    VERY good point. Mechanical things don't threaten me, so... I completely discount expenses associated with things that I find to be minor.

mtbr member
    We have always had boats in the family. ski boats, fishing boats, and sail boats. Favorite boats were the sailboats. Our first was a Catalina 22 my parents bought when I was 7. we kept it in San Diego. As my sister and I grew older it was getting too small and we ended up staying in the marina hotel. One rainy afternoon we all decided to go boat shopping while we were there. We bought a Catalina 30. I was really nice but again it was time for an upgrade. Went up to Dana Point and picked a Catalina 42. We had that until a few years ago sold it to some other friends who had a 30 as well. They co-own it which is never a good idea btw.

We still get to go over and use it but it is a mess and out of shape. They are not the best of sailors by any means and hove no mechanical knowledge. Their answer is we can just call a guy... well when your half way between San Diego and Catalina and you have a fuel leak (that happened to us) you can't just call a guy. They do not even keep tools on the boat. We would sail it to Catalina every summer but I don't think I would leave the bay in its condition.

The 30 "Passat"
    Boating-0920091418.jpg

the 42 "Take a Chance" AKA "Chance" In Avalon
    Boating-img_20170811_105055.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

I was into freestyle standup for 12 years. One of the funnest sports out there. Are you still doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I was into freestyle standup for 12 years. One of the funnest sports out there. Are you still doing it?
    Nice, been a while since I've been out on the water. Had a buddy that had a pair of Kawasaki 750's and we'd do some dicking around/scraping shins at the reservoir during the summer months. It would be at the top of my list if I could ride them locally in the ocean, but I live by a protected Marine sanctuary and they do not allow leisure boating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Yeah, what Train Wreck said. Trails are ruined because e-bikes are there.

Nice, been a while since I've been out on the water. Had a buddy that had a pair of Kawasaki 750's and we'd do some dicking around/scraping shins at the reservoir during the summer months. It would be at the top of my list if I could ride them locally in the ocean, but I live by a protected Marine sanctuary and they do not allow leisure boating.
    I mostly rode fresh water but on occasion hit the ocean waves. Launching off a 6í wave from the front side and having the back side of the wave drop off to almost double that will get your heart pumping. I often rode off the coast where some of the pros practiced. Watching them do barrel rolls and back flips will humble any rider. Stand up freestyle jet skiing is so physical. A day out on the water pulling trick after trick off, your whole body ached for three days after. Just in time for the weekend to roll around to do it all over again.

Love that sport, back on boating, I grew up boating. We had a ski boat and water skied and fished from it. Iíd have another of both if I could afford it.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

beater
    I grew up sailing on the Potomac and then the Chesapeake Bay. My folks bought an OíDay 25 that they moored at the Washington Marina in the early 80s. The neighborhood by the fish market was a world away from todayís gentrified playground. After about a year they wanted a bigger boat, and bought an Irwin 31 that they moored in Rose Haven, MD. They kept that for about 5 years before it got too expensive for the time they were able to spend. I often say they had sailboats for the wrong 6 years of my life. I was 12 when they sold the second boat. I was starting to go forward when my dad and I were sailing in the fall, and taking green water over the bow. But itís all gone now. If Iíd sailed from 12-18 Iíd have retained the knowledge much better. A couple years after my dad retired they bought a Catalina 34 and are back at the same marina on the bay. Itís good for them.

Living in Montana, I spend most of my water time on rivers. I had a recreation kayak for a while, until I decided that I was spending all my time mountain biking, so I could sell it. My GF and I recently bought a pair, though. We got out on the Missouri twice last year and I remembered how nice a day on the water can be when itís in the 90s and you donít want to ride.

Iíve done a lot of whitewater rafting, but havenít bought my own boat yet. Thatís on the list of toys, but I know what I want and it wonít be cheap.

slow
    Bought my first speed boat when I was 17. Sold it a few months later. Now this is the only type of boating I'm into.

Boating-0528200622a.jpg

mtbr member
    I was just getting into the best parts of sailing when they sold the 22. That was fun. Nothing like having to cross run the winches to the high side so we could balance out the boat.

We put the 30 through its paces and then some. 20 degree heel when we were close hauled into the wind. My dad and I would take it out in heavy winds and "race" others in the bay. It was a blast. We have had the stanchions well in the water and ankle deep water in the cockpit.

I took some J-world sailing racing classes during the summer years back. That's a blast. Some people don't see the fun in a sailboat. I have made my wife cry sailing because she got scared. I said this is nothing, we can go way further before we tip over.
    I really want a hobbie cat. Never done one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    20 degree heel when we were close hauled into the wind. My dad and I would take it out in heavy winds and "race" others in the bay. It was a blast. We have had the stanchions well in the water and ankle deep water in the cockpit.
    Its generally faster to reef the sail and run less heel angle, less heel means taller mast, plus hull hydrodynamics get less efficient at high heel angles.

Super fun boats, I've rented them many times! They do tac like total crap though as there is all the water between the hulls that really slows the turn rate, you can be hauling along, one pontoon out of the water and the boat will still hardly "make it around", but the straight line speed is so worth it!

I think you meant Hobie Cat. But, Hobie Cats can become a hobby in time.

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Bought my first speed boat when I was 17. Sold it a few months later. Now this is the only type of boating I'm into.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0528200622a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	1344545
    That seems to be the most common go to water craft in our area. I love all water craft.

mtbr member
    It was a tall rig boat and our bow wave was right on target on that heel. We did reef the Genoa a bit And the sound of the rigging was intense. If I remember it was around 35 knot winds. We had the sails tight. On that boat be only had a Windex and we were right at tack lines.

Yea it's Hobie. Damn auto correct.

What do you think of the new America's Cup boats? They are pretty awesome but I woul like to see the 12m mono class continue. Less electronics more sailing skill. I know those boats are a real kick in the ass to sail but the 12m you had to know how to trim the sails not a computer telling you what to do.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Well I Did It

All original '65 18 Foot Chris Craft Super Sport. 327 Chevy with a Velvet direct drive. Only 649 hours on the clock and everything works. Dunno why... It spoke to me.

Boating-img_5715.jpg

Boating-img_5716.jpg

That thing is sweet! Love the vintage stuff. Congrats!

All fat, all the time.
    I'm thinking about a used boat.... Thoughts on one of these?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Redneck boat racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    All original '65 18 Foot Chris Craft Super Sport. 327 Chevy with a Velvet direct drive. Only 649 hours on the clock and everything works. Dunno why... It spoke to me.

Name:	IMG_5715.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	1344773

Name:	IMG_5716.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	1344775
    Beautiful! I love the classic mohagany runabouts

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That thing is sweet! Love the vintage stuff. Congrats!
    Thanks Man! Pretty stoked so far. Gonna need some TLC, but that's about it.

Beautiful! I love the classic mohagany runabouts
    I love the runabouts too and always thought "one of these days"... This one popped up in the local CL and after researching it, it turns out to be one of Chris Craft's first real ski boats.

It's pretty modern by mahogany boat standards. Direct drive prop behind a small block Chevy. It just called to me when i saw it. The guy had it listed for $5k and I was able to negotiate some. Been doing some searches on them and it's likely worth WAY more $.

I agree Chuck, Chris Craft were high quality builds and the old vintage stuff is highly sought after. Iím sure itís worth some good coin to the right collector.

Thereís a private lake local to me that has a vintage old wood boat regatta every summer. I think itís in July, if I catch it this year Iíll do my best to get some photos of some of the high quality restorations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I couldn't afford the powered boat either, had to go for the human type

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I'm thinking about a used boat.... Thoughts on one of these?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    My thoughts are they would make a great snorkeling site.

chuckha that Chris Craft is beautiful and I reckon you got a bargain.

Duck Fonald
    Thanks Man! Pretty stoked so far. Gonna need some TLC, but that's about it.

I love the runabouts too and always thought "one of these days"... This one popped up in the local CL and after researching it, it turns out to be one of Chris Craft's first real ski boats.

It's pretty modern by mahogany boat standards. Direct drive prop behind a small block Chevy. It just called to me when i saw it. The guy had it listed for $5k and I was able to negotiate some. Been doing some searches on them and it's likely worth WAY more $.
    Man, deal city. That is one sweet boat. Gonna take it up to Lake Marie?
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Man, deal city. That is one sweet boat. Gonna take it up to Lake Marie?
    Road trip!

mtbr member
    Awesome setup! We do the boat thing, have been for longer than I have been biking, although nowadays I prefer to bike. We still get out a few times each summer to wakeboard and surf. Mine is getting a bit long in the tooth agewise, but still throws a great wake. It's been paid off since the day I bought it 11 years ago. Still less than 500 hours and is a great family boat. 2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX.

We also have a couple of kayaks, one a cheapie and one Hobie 13 foot "fishing" kayak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boating-vlx.jpg  

Nice boat SoDakSoon. Some of the new wake boats are pretty impressive. They are very popular in my area and I often see them at the launch ramps. Or out on the water making wakes. The kind of boat that has water bladders and bilge pumps for taking on water and then releasing the water when needed. The more water in the bladders the bigger the wake for surfing or wake boarding behind.

Meatbomb
    My Cruiser I keep on Lake Powell.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boating-2013-05-24_14.38.06.jpg  

mtbr member
    saw this slow boat the other day.
    Boating-img_20200625_084339491_hdr.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    Awesome setup! We do the boat thing, have been for longer than I have been biking, although nowadays I prefer to bike. We still get out a few times each summer to wakeboard and surf. Mine is getting a bit long in the tooth agewise, but still throws a great wake. It's been paid off since the day I bought it 11 years ago. Still less than 500 hours and is a great family boat. 2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX.

We also have a couple of kayaks, one a cheapie and one Hobie 13 foot "fishing" kayak.
    Malibu makes a great boat. Very nice

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    saw this slow boat the other day.

Name:	IMG_20200625_084339491_HDR.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	1345247
    Those things are Nuckin Futs!

mtbr member
    Thanks all. We like it a lot. The new version of ours is around $100k. Mine was 6 years old when I bought it and retail was 43k. I paid WAY less obviously. I haven't done a lot of modifying to ours, just ballast and an amp to run the tower speakers. Still run the factory prop but have added additional water ballast capacity. Factory on this boat was right at 1000 lbs of ballast. We can run up to 2100 without additional sacks now. Mountain biking is much cheaper....lol. We will burn $100 in fuel in about four hours when surfing. Gotta have friends with big pockets. Actually when cruising it is pretty economical, but all the weight kills the mileage.

New wake/surf boats are ridiculous pricewise. I know boats are not a good investment, but I could sell mine for the same price today as I purchased it for as no one can afford the new ones but the wealthy.

Meatbomb
    I've had 2 offers for mine and both were within a $1000.00 of what i have into it. I don't go thru a huge amount of fuel since we just cruise about 50 miles up lake, find a nice beach in a canyon and stay put for the night.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thanks all. We like it a lot. The new version of ours is around $100k. Mine was 6 years old when I bought it and retail was 43k. I paid WAY less obviously. I haven't done a lot of modifying to ours, just ballast and an amp to run the tower speakers. Still run the factory prop but have added additional water ballast capacity. Factory on this boat was right at 1000 lbs of ballast. We can run up to 2100 without additional sacks now. Mountain biking is much cheaper....lol. We will burn $100 in fuel in about four hours when surfing. Gotta have friends with big pockets. Actually when cruising it is pretty economical, but all the weight kills the mileage.

New wake/surf boats are ridiculous pricewise. I know boats are not a good investment, but I could sell mine for the same price today as I purchased it for as no one can afford the new ones but the wealthy.
    My son was looking at a New Centurion (he didn't tell me which model). List price on it was $210k. Egads!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I've had 2 offers for mine and both were within a $1000.00 of what i have into it. I don't go thru a huge amount of fuel since we just cruise about 50 miles up lake, find a nice beach in a canyon and stay put for the night.
    THAT sounds like the way to spend a day!

Those things are Nuckin Futs!
    They sure are. A friend of mine years ago bought a new jet boat. I think it was made by Thunder Jet, not sure. Brand new and brings it out to where often met to go jet skiing. A built small block with dual quads and nitrous. Beautiful boat. I was hesitant but he insisted on taking me out in it. We hit 82MPH which is the fastest Iíve been on water. I thought I was going to bounce out of the thing. Crazy boats, low and every ripple on the water effects stability at those speeds. I never went out on it again. Come to think of it I may have left a mark on his seat.

Meatbomb
    all original '65 18 foot chris craft super sport. 327 chevy with a velvet direct drive. Only 649 hours on the clock and everything works. Dunno why... It spoke to me.

Name:	IMG_5715.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	1344773

Name:	IMG_5716.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	1344775

beautiful!!!!!

beautiful!!!!!
    He stole it. 🙈

EMBA Member
    I lived 1 block from Mission Bay in San Diego, and had a 16' Prindle Catamaran I pulled up onto the sand. Had a shed nearby for my sails and gear. Could go sailing whenever the wind was up. Perfect for single hand sailing on relatively smooth water. Had tons of fun flying that boat around.

I sailed multiple times a week for a couple years so long as the wind was up. So much fun.

Boating-prindle-16.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    although nowadays I prefer to bike.
    Get one of the pedal kayaks

Meatbomb
    My retirement boat..... Just sail away... AGAIN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boating-swan65-profile.l.jpg  

Gew
    mtbr member
    Love all the pictures I'm you've posted.
    I don't own a boat, yet.
    Before I die I will, hopefully.
    Best would be one you can live in.
    It'll cost me a fortune, though.

beater
    My dad used to have 2 brass plaques in the wall. One was at home, the other at the boat. Donít remember which was which.

ďA boat is a hole in the water you put money into.Ē

ďLike a woman, the rigging costs more than the hull.Ē

beater
    Just unpacked these:

Meatbomb
    BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    My dad used to have 2 brass plaques in the wall. One was at home, the other at the boat. Donít remember which was which.

ďA boat is a hole in the water you put money into.Ē

ďLike a woman, the rigging costs more than the hull.Ē
    BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.
    Yep, about a month ago I watched a early twenties young couple launching their very expensive brand new wake boat. I was chatting with her as he was preparing it to go in. Brand new first launch. I commented on its beauty and asked how much? 90K. Gulp!

They then launched it drove it across the private lake to their lake front property. This was about a month ago and I drive by daily. There that boat sits seemingly untouched anchored off their dock. Makes me wonder how much itís been used since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenenine View Post
    Get one of the pedal kayaks
    We have one....Hobie Mirage Revolution 13. Sweet little rig. Heavy though. Absolutely stole it from a guy in the neighborhood. Looked like the mirage drive had never been used. Paid about 1/4 the retail price. I have it on the trailer so my wife can move it more easily. Eventually will have couple of roof top Yakima bike racks that straddle the the thing for our bikes and will build a rack for the little paddle kayak in the background.

Damn. I have too many hobbies. My friends say I never sit still. Guess they are right to an extent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boating-hobie.jpg  

mtbr member
    $90k is kinda low for some of the new wake boats. Still way to much for something you can't sleep on.

We had friends that were live-a-boards on 30ft and under sailboats. If you're single it would be easy.

Meatbomb
    I lived aboard an Ericson 38 for a few years when i was young and single.... Cruised the Bahamas and Virgin Islands for about 6 years and then sold it In Venezuela and got a job back in Arizona. I plan to return to the sailing life when I retire...

I considered that time on the boat as pre-retirement so when i retire officially I plan to name the boat "Again"...

mtbr member
    I ran into a guy who built one of these boats up at the lake yesterday. was pretty cool and simple. I will add it to my project lists, #287.

Portable Boat Plans of Arizona

maybe this one

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boating-explorer2.jpg  

Boating-microcc1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    We have one....Hobie Mirage Revolution 13. Sweet little rig. Heavy though. Absolutely stole it from a guy in the neighborhood. Looked like the mirage drive had never been used. Paid about 1/4 the retail price. I have it on the trailer so my wife can move it more easily. Eventually will have couple of roof top Yakima bike racks that straddle the the thing for our bikes and will build a rack for the little paddle kayak in the background.

Damn. I have too many hobbies. My friends say I never sit still. Guess they are right to an extent.
    I have too many hobbies too, MTB, and now 'yaking, add in fishing, camping, shooting, reloading, etc...

Wife wants a trailer now also so its easier to load/unload and a pair of single kayaks for when she doesn't want to take the tandem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I ran into a guy who built one of these boats up at the lake yesterday. was pretty cool and simple. I will add it to my project lists, #287.

Duckworks is often recommended, for example: https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/designs/fold-up/index.html

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/pk-backsplash.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenenine View Post
    I have too many hobbies too, MTB, and now 'yaking, add in fishing, camping, shooting, reloading, etc...

Wife wants a trailer now also so its easier to load/unload and a pair of single kayaks for when she doesn't want to take the tandem.
    That trailer is a little Northern Tool PWC trailer. I couldn't justify $1600 for one of the Yakima trailers. This one was about $350(after a rebate) and only took a few hours to put together.

My rifles and reloading bench are lonely as well as my archery equipment. Normally prepping for an elk hunt right now, but we decided to take a break as our normally OTC unit is now draw and we didn't want to waste a point on it.