Best Concerts You've Been To- Mtbr.com
    Life's a Garden, dig it!

Best Concerts You've Been To

In order for me...

Queen
    The Eagles
    The Kinks
    Neil Diamond (believe it or not...)
    Chicago, The Beach Boys and America (Day On the Green, mid 70's)
    Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet (Another Day On the Green)

There were others, many I'll never remember...

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I've been to too many to say which one was the best.

The ones that stand out though were:

AC/DC-once
    Heaven & Hell-twice
    Iron Maiden-3 times
    Judas Priest- twice
    Black sabbath- 40 gozillion times
    Ozzfest- 7 times

and most recently:

Raiding the Rock Vault

EMBA Member
    Frank Zappa twice mid-70's
    Iggy and the Stooges
    Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the edge of town tour

I didn't do it
    Van Halen. Real rock n roll man.

They rocked the house big time.

Although different shows have different appeals for me so I may come back with other "bests" later in the thread.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Iron Maiden in Bakersfield...Queensryche was the opening band. Another good IM concert I went to was at the Ford theatre in Hollywood...Rainbow opened for them. Hearing Man on a Silver Mountain for the first time live was pretty epic.

Megadeth at the Palladium was good too.

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    Summer Jam, Watkins Glen N.Y., 1973.
    Allman Bros., Grateful Dead, The Band.
    I even remember some of it.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Too many to list...
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

b a n n e d
    I'm not really much of a concert guy . . . I really like them. I just never seem to be aware of them and find out about em' way too late usually.

Of those that I've been to, there are two that REALLY stand out.

Pink Floyd - performing the entire Wall. Unbelievable show.
    Metallica - I've seen them twice (both times just after release of the Black Album). They used to put on a damn good show.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Rush, The Swing Auditorium, March 7th, 198a0, Permanent Waves Tour. 38 Special opened up for them. I remember all of it.

More recently, John Mayer in June of 2006 at the Hollywood Bowl, Continuum Tour. Truly at his best with his Try album and the John Mayer Trio, up there with SRV, EC, Jimmy Hendrix, and other power Trios. When there is only 3 of you on stage, and one is playing guitar with no reprieve and no rest for voice unless purely instrumental, you truly have your hands full with nothing but guitar. Major Skill Set Builder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Doors

banned
    Jun 2007
    Some very memorable one's in no particular order..
    Pink Floyd - sent giant inflatable animals floating off into space.
    Aerosmith - mid 70's amazing energy, Mama Kin - whoa..
    David Bowie -
    Little Feat - After Waiting for Columbus, yet their earlier stuff was incredible.
    Talking Heads - Byrne was a true wild man.
    B52's - Never saw so many Mormon girls shaking it.
    Grateful Dead - PC '88 (went to witness what an obsessed friend raved about who had followed them for years.)
    More recent, not as memorable.

mtbr member
    Hard to define "best". Rolling Stones have to be up there, one of the few bands who really pull off a big arena show and make it feel intimate.

Also seeing Foo Fighters (who had recently sold out Wembley Stadium to 80k peope two nights in a row) playing to 2800 people at the Auckland Town Hall to raise funds for the Christchurch earthquake was certainly a high point. It was just before the release of Wasting Light, they walked out on stage and Dave says "We've got a new album out soon, wanna hear it?" and they played the whole thing start to finish without another word, then went on to play well over two hours of their other material.

Seeing NOFX and Bad Religion also at the Town Hall was pretty cool too, NOFX have been one of my favourites for years, and watching my childhood heros watch their childhood heros [Bad Religion] play and seeing the passion and enthusiasm they still have for their music was great. And seeing Greg Graffin judo-flip a drunk Fat Mike when he got a bit enthusiastic about joining in with a song was hilarious....

mtbr member
    I've seen Frank Zappa w/Captain Beefheart at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ from the 6th row.
    John McLaughlin & the Mahavishnu Orchestra from the 3rd row at college
    Hot Tuna (I saw them 3 times)
    Billy Cobham at Hofstra Universty

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Of more recent concerts, I was fortunate enough to catch Billy Joel and Elton John a couple of years ago. A great show!

Shadowfax, in the early 90's was also very good.

mtbr member
    Lots of good list...I had way too much fun in the 80s to remember all I saw eerrr went too.

I did "Day On the Green" several times here in Cali, Van Halen, Scorpions, Motley Crew..etcc.. I think it was Tommy Lee that had the Drum kit that lifted up and then turned upside down while he was playing..or it could have been the LSD...don't remember hahahaa

I saw AC/DC on the For Those About to Rock tour at Cow Palace in Frisco...freakin Cannon Explosions were awesome...FIRE BOOOOOM Angus running all over the place..

I haven't gone in 20 years now a days...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

All fat, all the time.
    ACDC, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Incubus, Goldfinger & Reel Big Fish together (high school gym lol)

mtbr member
    Depeche Mode / Metallica
    A back flip! Hulk Hogan eat your heartout!!

Hermit
    Lots of really good ones. Hard to pick the best though.

Zappa in Cleveland.
    Dio w/ Twisted Sister opening.
    Yes in the round, Cleveland Coliseum (now gone).
    Pink Floyd, old Cleveland Stadium (also now gone)
    Clash of the Titans - Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth - from the third row.
    Motorhead a couple dozen times - and they never failed to bring it.
    Kiss with Plasmatics - St. Valentines Massacre tour

So many more good ones - Jethro Tull a dozen times, Exodus, Coroner, Cheap Trick, UFO, Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Black Sabbath - and Heaven & Hell, Ozzy, Tool, etc etc etc

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

9 lives
    Not many as a teen. I grew up in a small mining town in Northern Ontario so to see any bands I had to travel 800 km to places like Toronto
    I did see the Stones a few times, Springsteen
    I had a backstage pass (I think in 1979) to Supertramp and got to meet Roger Hodgson; and a Canadian band Payolas
    Fleetwood Mac
    I got to see small venues like Rough Trade, the Specials, TeenageHead, the Police (when they first played in Toronto)

that's all that come to mind right now
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Dang! I forgot about Supertramp and Satriani.

In the late 80's, my wife and I were having dinner in Grass Valley, CA and at the next table was Roger Hodgson.

mtbr member
    Huey Lewis And The News. (I don't care, they are a tight band)
    The Musical Box (Genesis tribute band)
    Paul McCartney
    INXS (Listen Like Thieves tour)
    Paul Rose Band (Awesome English guitarist)
    Sharon Shannon (Irish accordion player)

No particular order and I've seen a lot of great bands but these guys can play and they sounded good. Unlike ACDC...

mtbr member
    The 80's effing rocked. Lots of you were rocking out back then, as was I. I love music.

Rush a few times; always a fantastic show
    Pink Floyd circa 86
    Iron Maiden
    Motley Crue & Ozzy
    Bob Mould
    The Waterboys @ the NYC Beacon Theater in 89
    Rusted Root at a local fest right before the knocked it out of the park with When I Woke
    Pearl Jam w/Iggy Pop
    The Cure in Houston
    OMD in college
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Meatbomb
    The Monkeys.

Retro on Steroids
    I was a roadie for a rock band from 1968 to 2010. In that time I missed four shows, one when Bill Graham personally threw me out of the Fillmore West, three more when a truck engine blew on tour in 1974.

I not only went to the shows, I had the backstage pass at all of them. Here are some of the bands I got to work with: Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Credence Clearwater Revival, Byrds, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Band, Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, Canned Heat, Steve Miller, Huey Lewis and the News, Jethro Tull, Donovan, Van Morrison, Joe Cocker, Average White Band, Three Dog Night, Leon Russell, Lynyrd Skynrd, Eagles, Chambers Brothers, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Boz Scaggs, Hot Tuna, Taj Mahal, Paul Butterfield, Ten Years After, Booker T and the MGs, Merl Haggard, Everly Brothers, Albert King, Ike and Tina Turner, and a lot of great local bands that never made it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Boston just went on tour this year, and they were outstanding. Starship opened for them and they did an awesome job too.

Rabid Lana Fan
    USF (Tampa, FL) around 1982-83 or so. Stevie Ray Vaughn was touring around with Jeff Beck/Ginger Baker.

I'm not sure who was "opening" for who, but SRV stole the show, hands down. There was something other-wordley about watching him sing/play the guitar. He wasn't just performing, it was more like he was channeling some great musical force. I'm really glad I got to see him perform live.

(maybe it was the pot, but no, there was something more going on than just that)
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    This is what I would do if I had a time machine :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I was a roadie for a rock band from 1968 to 2010. In that time I missed four shows, one when Bill Graham personally threw me out of the Fillmore West, three more when a truck engine blew on tour in 1974.

I not only went to the shows, I had the backstage pass at all of them. Here are some of the bands I got to work with: Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Credence Clearwater Revival, Byrds, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Band, Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, Canned Heat, Steve Miller, Huey Lewis and the News, Jethro Tull, Donovan, Van Morrison, Joe Cocker, Average White Band, Three Dog Night, Leon Russell, Lynyrd Skynrd, Eagles, Chambers Brothers, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Boz Scaggs, Hot Tuna, Taj Mahal, Paul Butterfield, Ten Years After, Booker T and the MGs, Merl Haggard, Everly Brothers, Albert King, Ike and Tina Turner, and a lot of great local bands that never made it.
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    USF (Tampa, FL) around 1982-83 or so. Stevie Ray Vaughn was touring around with Jeff Beck/Ginger Baker.

I'm not sure who was "opening" for who, but SRV stole the show, hands down. There was something other-wordley about watching him sing/play the guitar. He wasn't just performing, it was more like he was channeling some great musical force. I'm really glad I got to see him perform live.

(maybe it was the pot, but no, there was something more going on than just that)
    That's must have been some awesome concert!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The Monkeys.
    I bet that was good!

My son roadies for an ABBA tribute band! Don't laugh, they filled Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall last year.

mtbr member
    -srv every show i saw. always eyes shut and sending it
    -iggy pop w/jane's addiction opening
    -ozzy w/randy blizzard tour
    -black crowes at HOB -i took my bro to that show as a wish 2wks before he passed from cancer
    -vh women&children first/fair warning tours
    -slayer first and last mosh pit
    -ufo
    -arc angels bramhall/sexton was the sh*t!

mtbr member
    The Tragically Hip at the bottom of the Winter Park ski lifts.
    Drive by Truckers at The Boulder Theater.
    Cowboy Mouth at JazzFest.

To name a few.
    The Dude abides.

Professional Crastinator
    Top of my list = The WHO at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, 1989. We were in row "K" at the acoustic center (yes, K=11).

G3 at Cleveland Music Hall(?) (Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, with Stuart Hamm) 1996?

Joe Walsh at the Ohio State Fair ~1991 was actually a really good show. We saw the marquis and bought tix at the last minute.

I've seen the recent Boston, Floyd, KISS, Jane's Addiction, RUSH, AC/DC (Brian Johnson)... they all put on a great show.

...Cleveland's own Michael Stanley Band with Donny Iris; and if you're local, The Armstrong Bearcat Band (when Stutz was still on bass).

-F

PS - I heard a moving performance of Beethoven's 9th by the Cleveland Orchestra and chorus at Severance Hall...

PPS - LIVE - free concert on the Ga. Tech campus ~1992. I never liked them 'til I heard them live.

PPS - Joey DeFrancesco played a small show (Night Town) in Cleveland, OH. Hammond B3 organ. Man, those fat fingers can fly!

PPPS! - BUDDY GUY! (how could I forget?!) I guess I've enjoyed most of the shows I've been to!

Stanley Jordan (hammer guitarist). I seem to remember him doing an epic version of Red House, and closing with Stairway to Heaven (in his own inimitable style). You could've stabbed me in the leg and I wouldn't have noticed ('til he was done playing).

The Kinsey Report (at Buddy Guy's Blues house in Chicago) - they were soooooo frickin' loud! but soooo gooood.
    Last edited by Fleas; 09-25-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I mentioned earlier, somewhat apologetically, that I saw Neil Diamond. This was at the San Francisco Cow Palace in 1984 (I think) and I had just met my girlfriend (now wife of 28 years). I was definitely among the younger audience members at the time and I'm not really sure why I went.

I gotta say... The man could sing! He had the audience from the first note through several encores! I was definitely glad to have gone!

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post

With that lineup of bands, you must have seen Moby Grape too? There's a band that should have made a bigger impact than they did. Most people have never heard of them. Huge wasted potential, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    5 or so years old I was at a led zeppelin show... my mom had to pick up my older brother who had an asthma attack. 40+ plus years and I still remember the LOUD music crazy faces on people and just the mad scene.
    Pink Floyd
    Public Enemy opening for U2
    GNR before they hit it big at a tiny venue

mtbr member
    honorable mention -aic w/staley

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I saw U2 during the Zooropa days, epic stadium show for sure. You couldn't pay me to go see them now. Old Crow Medicine Show and The Lone Bellow are pretty good too.

EMBA Member
    Pearl Jam in Mercer Arena here in Seattle circa 1994 was an amazing show.

mtbr member

Best Concerts You've Been To

Kate Bush a forthnight ago amazing.
    Procrastinators the leaders of tomorrow.

Hi There!
    Man, I didn't read any of this thread but and I know it must be good:

I saw Metallica open for Ozzy when Cliff Burton was still with us.

I've talked on here before about seeing Guns n Roses open up for The Cult in 1987 before they broke big...what a show that was.

I saw The Who in San Diego around the same time, christ that was so loud but it sounded so good I couldn't believe it.

I saw Slayer at the Palladium in Hollywood, Ca...

I was at the Chili Peppers show in Japan on the night when John Frusciante quit backstage before the show and they convinced him to go on that night at least. BTW, John's dad is or was a Judge here in Florida.

I saw the Stones play at the Coliseum in LA with Living Colour opening. It was pretty wild because these four shows were the only ones that Guns n Roses were playing too, they broke up on stage the first night, didn't play the second night, and got back together on the third night when I was there.

I still have all my ticket stubs for those.

I had many ways back back back in the day to get backstage at concerts down here in SoFlo long before any of the above ones...my dad worked on the original Miami Vice tv show, my girlfriend's mom's boyfriend used to supply the fire equipment to the local arenas, and another friend was the caterer for some of the concert places.

I was backstage for Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Rush a few times, Hank Williams Jr. I saw the Scorpions first tour in America too.

I guess what I'm saying is hard to pick a best. Awesome thread.
    Last edited by TheGweed; 09-20-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    NTFTC

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Best Concerts You've Been To

Definitely, 100% without a doubt, Roger Waters The Wall Live 2009/2010.

I'm Spartacus!
    Last edited by Procter; 09-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.

High Desert MTBer
    Genesis at my old school theater in 1968 or '69, I know Peter had a broken leg on stage so he was sitting in a chair most of the time... still amazing!
    Santana at the Empire Pool Wembley in '69.
    Steely Dan at the Rainbow London in '76
    The Crusaders at Hammersmith in '76
    Rufus with Chaka Khan at Hammersmith in '76

That's all I can remember
    It's all Here. Now.

gravity fighter
    Prince at Glam Slam in Los Angeles. He played from about midnight to 4am. Amazing show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    Prince at Glam Slam in Los Angeles. He played from about midnight to 4am. Amazing show.
    Let me guess he wore his assless chaps and the crowd followed suit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Concerts You've Been To-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

High Desert MTBer
    If we're talking concerts I have worked at, the down and out by far the best of all was Prince at the Troubador Club in LA in 2011. He asked me in the morning to find him a club to play that night, so we hustled him in there real fast. It was funny calling the owner there, "I have someone you REALLY want to play there tonight, but I can't tell you who it is"... it was not a problem! He played a jazz set first, then a rock set, followed by a psychedelic set. It was pretty damn good I had 'em do the place up like the old Blaise's club in London in the 60s where Jimi used to play sometimes...
    It's all Here. Now.

Fart smeller
    Wow, some good shiite here.

Me:

XTC. My bud Jim and I created our own little mosh pit, in the back of the venue. Andy Partridge suffers from stage fright, so we were lucky to see them at all. Another time, we drove 3 hours to see them, only to get to the venue to find signs that read 'show cancelled'.

Journey, their first tour with Perry, when they still played songs from their first 3 discs , the best they ever were.

Raul McCartney, Wings Over America (with Linda, rip)

U2. Not a fan, but, wow, what a show. It helped that we were in the pit, directly in front if the stage.

Primus at Berkeley Square. I believe I am in the audience for their first disc. PRIMUS SUCKS!

Several Porcupine Tree shows. Prog rock at its finest. If you're a drummer, there's nada better than seeing Gavin Harrison live.

Kansas, at our County Fair. Well past their prime, but they still kicked serious hiney. My last concert with my musical bud, Robert.

The Knack, when My Sharona was at the top of the charts. They were incredible musicians, and they played a small club in my hometown. They even played Sharona twice! Lol.

Dixie Dregs, several times. Steve Morse, Rod M on drums, just mind-blowing jazz/rock/hoedown craziness.

Nomeansno, progpunk glory. Small club in Sacratomato. Me and Jim drank beer that fugged us up really bad, and it was NOT a good experience. We think we were drugged, seriously.

More to relate, I'm sure!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I mentioned earlier, somewhat apologetically, that I saw Neil Diamond. This was at the San Francisco Cow Palace in 1984 (I think) and I had just met my girlfriend (now wife of 28 years). I was definitely among the younger audience members at the time and I'm not really sure why I went.

I gotta say... The man could sing! He had the audience from the first note through several encores! I was definitely glad to have gone!
    That's ok, wouldn't mind seeing him, just for Cracklin' Rosie. Hell, I saw Tom Jones!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Best Concerts You've Been To

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

Several Porcupine Tree shows. Prog rock at its finest. If you're a drummer, there's nada better than seeing Gavin Harrison live.
    This is one of the most talented, least known bands ever. Steve Wilson rocks. Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    I saw U2 during the Zooropa days, epic stadium show for sure. You couldn't pay me to go see them now. Old Crow Medicine Show and The Lone Bellow are pretty good too.
    I saw U2 at Red Rocks in 1983' and they happened to have filmed their best video that night. Made famous by MTV. "Sunday Bloody Sunday " At the time I never even heard of U2 but a friend had tickets and couldn't make it so he gave them to me. Score!

I've seen a lot of concerts but I must say this show is definitely towards the top.

U2 Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 09-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Wow, some good shiite here.

Me:

XTC. My bud Jim and I created our own little mosh pit, in the back of the venue. Andy Partridge suffers from stage fright, so we were lucky to see them at all. Another time, we drove 3 hours to see them, only to get to the venue to find signs that read 'show cancelled'.

Journey, their first tour with Perry, when they still played songs from their first 3 discs , the best they ever were.

Raul McCartney, Wings Over America (with Linda, rip)

U2. Not a fan, but, wow, what a show. It helped that we were in the pit, directly in front if the stage.

Primus at Berkeley Square. I believe I am in the audience for their first disc. PRIMUS SUCKS!

Kansas, at our County Fair. Well past their prime, but they still kicked serious hiney. My last concert with my musical bud, Robert.

The Knack, when My Sharona was at the top of the charts. They were incredible musicians, and they played a small club in my hometown. They even played Sharona twice! Lol.

Dixie Dregs, several times. Steve Morse, Rod M on drums, just mind-blowing jazz/rock/hoedown craziness.

Nomeansno, progpunk glory. Small club in Sacratomato. Me and Jim drank beer that fugged us up really bad, and it was NOT a good experience. We think we were drugged, seriously.

More to relate, I'm sure!
    I used to love XTC! Did a few shows with them back in the late 70s... Making plans for Nigel!
    It's all Here. Now.

On wuss patrol
    My kids introduced me to the Alternative band Blue October. I've been to a couple of their shows. They were excellent, at small venues so all good "seats", but the best show was just the other night with their lead singer/song writer Justin Furstenfeld at a little theater in PDX. It's a solo acoustic tour called Open Book where he talks some about each of the songs he wrote and performs in the set. Blew me away!

We ran into him on the street before the show:

Best Concerts You've Been To-image.jpg
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Hi There!
    Glide the Clyde's post above about running into the guy outside reminded me of the many times that has happened to me, a couple of them:

Way back in the 80's we went to see Anthrax headlining over Exodus and Celtic Frost in Miami and we saw Scott Ian on the pay phone calling his mom. That concert was awesome as well; at one point Anthrax thought the security was being too rough so I can' t remember which one but he jumped down on security and a fight ensued between Anthrax and security. They had to stop the show for a while.

My daughter and I love the legendary Fu Manchu but they never come down to where we live. In 2007 they were going to be playing in Atlanta at a club which of course was over 21 only. Since my daughter was only 8 at the time the lead singer invited us to come see their soundcheck so at least daughter could see that. We got up there hooked up with them and went back later for soundcheck. Those dudes are so awesome, they whipped out 3 songs freaking blasting. To say my daughter was in heaven is a massive understatement. Then when they were done they took pics with us and signed her guitar, gave her some guitar picks etc. Of course I went to the concert that night and they laid waste to the club like they always do. Definitely one of the greatest bands live.
    NTFTC