Best concerts that could have been… but your mom found out and you were BUSTED- Mtbr.com
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts

Best concerts that could have been… but your mom found out and you were BUSTED

Day on The Green #2. I bought a ticket from a buddy for $10 and was all set to go but then my mom found out somehow (mom radar) and I was busted. I was 13 or 14 years old. Friend and his brother got to go (Uncle Rico sort of dealio how they arrived there – I was supposed to see it with them) and they rubbed it in my face repeatedly about how awesome it was to see Yngwie w/Rising Force, Metallica, etc. I might still have the silkscreened poster somewhere that my buddy brought back with him from the show (white with red silkscreened text). So sad. Historically relevant concert in the context of modern rock music and I missed out. Still crying in my beer to this day.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Ozzy Bark at the Moon. Mom said no.

High Desert MTBer
    My Mum loved a good concert! She never said no... she lived in Brussels in the latter part of her life, and would always come and see me if I was working in town. She would also bring a care package of something for me and my compadres... usually involved alcohol... Once I was passing thru and had a day off in town. i called my Mum a couple days out and told her I had good and bad news. Good was that I would be coming to see her, and not so good was I had invited all the band and crew to come round to meet her too... She stepped right up, and got a huge buffet pasta spread going for when we rolled up outside in the tour bus! My sister had invited a bunch of her college pals down, and we all had a good time. At one point, Scottish Charlie asked if it would be OK "if I skinned up a wee one!" and I told him to go ahead. Mum knew about such things, and I didn't think she'd mind. When she walked by and saw Charlie rolling, she exclaimed "I knew I was forgetting something!" and after heading into the kitchen for a minute, came back with a jar of finest E African bud I was a bit taken aback, and my colleagues were very impressed! Seems a friend of hers who was a bush pilot in E Africa donated it to her before going off on a long trip, and told her to do whatever with it... we were 'whatever'!
    Best Mum ever
    It's all Here. Now.

beater
    Sooooo many shows at the 9:30 Club in 1990-1991 that I wanted to see but my parents were not down with me driving into DC at night.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    My Mum loved a good concert! She never said no... she lived in Brussels in the latter part of her life, and would always come and see me if I was working in town. She would also bring a care package of something for me and my compadres... usually involved alcohol... Once I was passing thru and had a day off in town. i called my Mum a couple days out and told her I had good and bad news. Good was that I would be coming to see her, and not so good was I had invited all the band and crew to come round to meet her too... She stepped right up, and got a huge buffet pasta spread going for when we rolled up outside in the tour bus! My sister had invited a bunch of her college pals down, and we all had a good time. At one point, Scottish Charlie asked if it would be OK "if I skinned up a wee one!" and I told him to go ahead. Mum knew about such things, and I didn't think she'd mind. When she walked by and saw Charlie rolling, she exclaimed "I knew I was forgetting something!" and after heading into the kitchen for a minute, came back with a jar of finest E African bud I was a bit taken aback, and my colleagues were very impressed! Seems a friend of hers who was a bush pilot in E Africa donated it to her before going off on a long trip, and told her to do whatever with it... we were 'whatever'!
    Best Mum ever
    Umm… thanks for threadjacking with your sunshine pump.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

EMBA Member
    My buddy was ranting and raving how I had to go see this new band coming through San Diego on their first tour. I said naaaa.

A year later same thing - you have to see these guys they are so great!!! I said naaaa.

So yeah, I missed seeing The Police in their earliest days.

Wish I could blame Mom.

mtbr member
    Had a customer tell us that when when he was a kid, he and his older brother went to see Ozzie. Their dad said if you go I’m going to whoop your ass. The younger brother was so sad that dad said no. The older brother said, dad didn’t say no, he said if you go I’m going to whoop you. You just need to decide if seeing Ozzie is worth an ass whooping. So they went, got their whooping, and said to this day it was totally worth the whooping.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Day on The Green #2. I bought a ticket from a buddy for $10 and was all set to go but then my mom found out somehow (mom radar) and I was busted. I was 13 or 14 years old. Friend and his brother got to go (Uncle Rico sort of dealio how they arrived there – I was supposed to see it with them) and they rubbed it in my face repeatedly about how awesome it was to see Yngwie w/Rising Force, Metallica, etc. I might still have the silkscreened poster somewhere that my buddy brought back with him from the show (white with red silkscreened text). So sad. Historically relevant concert in the context of modern rock music and I missed out. Still crying in my beer to this day.
    Day on the Green #2? ...Metallica? That was like Crosby Stills and Nash...
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

One ring to mash them all
    Deep Purple in the 70s. (Much) older cousins were going, mom said no (I was ~12). IIRC Fleetwood Mac opened.

One of those cousins is looking at 60 yrs old in the rearview and still plays in a 70s tribute band.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Deep Purple in the 70s. (Much) older cousins were going, mom said no (I was ~12). IIRC Fleetwood Mac opened.

One of those cousins is looking at 60 yrs old in the rearview and still plays in a 70s tribute band.
    First concert I ever attended was Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, and Rory Gallagher. That was within months of the recording of Made in Japan. I was in 8th grade.

I still listen to Made in Japan occasionally. Takes me back.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    First concert I ever attended was Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, and Rory Gallagher. That was within months of the recording of Made in Japan. I was in 8th grade.
    Dang, you're in San Diego right? Was that the same concert, I wonder? I looked it up and that was the lineup.

LMAO, the "Perks and Tits" tour. No wonder mom said no.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    I had tickets to see John Mellencamp in '85 when I was a junior in high school. I was taking a girl I had a MONSTER crush on and was beyond excited. It was December in New England and the weather turned bad so my parents said I couldn't go.

I stormed up to my room, wrote a note, snuck out the window, pushed the car out of the driveway and took my date to the concert. Next morning I walked downstairs for school waiting to get blasted and there was only silence.

To this day, they never knew I went.
    AreBee

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    18th birthday, was supposed to go and see Jesus and Mary Chain (and they were still on fire in '87).

All arranged, told my 'rents and they said "No".

After I had a meltdown they explained that they'd arranged a surprise family party and that everyone was coming over that night.

I sulked, total moody teen the whole party (still not proud of that one).

Single Track Mind
    During my Junior or Senior year of high school, my friends and I all lived and breathed Metallica and Guns 'n Roses and when they teamed up as co-headliners, we were all ecstatic. One of my good friends got a few tickets, gave one to me and even got his dad to drive from Santa Maria to Los Angles. I was beyond excited....until, that is, mom put her foot down...on my neck. She even stayed up most of the night to keep me from sneaking out...smh.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I had a ticket to see Foghat in 10th grade. The day of the night I was to go my parents caught wind of a forged excuse note I had a girl classmate forge for me, it was for ditching [skipping] school a couple of days prior. No concert privileges for me. I held out thinking my parents would change their mind and let me go and it got to be too late so I lost out on selling the ticket.

I did’t know the school would mail a copy of excuse notes to the parents. Doh!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I did’t know the school would mail a copy of excuse notes to the parents. Doh!
    Similarly, I never realized that my school would often call the parents of absent students. It always seemed odd to me that Mom would only ask, "how was school today" on the days that I skipped.

She never punished me though. I think that she, as a single mom, thought it was healthy for boys-to-be-boys and she knew we were good kids just looking to go skateboarding in some other nearby town.

Fart smeller
    GG Allin. I wanted to go so bad, but Mom and Dad said "You're not going to see that poop eating pervert!" They were quite religious, so I was thinking a person of GG's ilk was in their prayers like, 3 times daily.

I was crushed, but secretly made plans to sneak out of the house and let my buddy Robert drive us to the show. I was 16. Come the night of the concert, I snuck out my bedroom window to meet Robert in his Pinto. We roared off in a cloud of blue smoke, giddy because we were on our way to see possible self-mutilation, and, if we were lucky, GG would take a big dump onstage and smear himself with it, maybe even tossing a few clumplets out into the crowd.

Got to the venue, got inside, and GG's band had just started. We fought our way to the front, dodging moshers the whole way. We got to the foot of the stage, not without a bit of trouble, and Robert & I hi-fived each other. As I did, I looked over Robert's shoulder, only to see a couple of familiar faces.

"Mom!?! Dad!?! Oh, my God, what are you doing here??" I shouted above the din and below the poop.

Mom and Dad looked quite ashamed of themselves, but as soon as GG's hand went close to his backside, their attention was diverted to the stage, and they jumped up and down with glee. I was ignored from then on, and Robert and I left soon after. I was disturbed at what I had seen, and didn't speak to my parents for a long time after that.

My Mom & Dad: BUSTED.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    GG Allin. I wanted to go so bad, but Mom and Dad said "You're not going to see that poop eating pervert!" They were quite religious, so I was thinking a person of GG's ilk was in their prayers like, 3 times daily.

I was crushed, but secretly made plans to sneak out of the house and let my buddy Robert drive us to the show. I was 16. Come the night of the concert, I snuck out my bedroom window to meet Robert in his Pinto. We roared off in a cloud of blue smoke, giddy because we were on our way to see possible self-mutilation, and, if we were lucky, GG would take a big dump onstage and smear himself with it, maybe even tossing a few clumplets out into the crowd.

Got to the venue, got inside, and GG's band had just started. We fought our way to the front, dodging moshers the whole way. We got to the foot of the stage, not without a bit of trouble, and Robert & I hi-fived each other. As I did, I looked over Robert's shoulder, only to see a couple of familiar faces.

"Mom!?! Dad!?! Oh, my God, what are you doing here??" I shouted above the din and below the poop.

Mom and Dad looked quite ashamed of themselves, but as soon as GG's hand went close to his backside, their attention was diverted to the stage, and they jumped up and down with glee. I was ignored from then on, and Robert and I left soon after. I was disturbed at what I had seen, and didn't speak to my parents for a long time after that.

My Mom & Dad: BUSTED.
    Jesus H. Christ, I'm not believing this story. But pretty entertaining none the less.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Dark Meat
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Ozzy Bark at the Moon. Mom said no.
    Summer of 86...Metallica was the opener at the Cow Palace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Meat View Post
    Summer of 86...Metallica was the opener at the Cow Palace.

be1
    the beat goes on
    g.g.allin was a sick mf'er. wouldnt want to be anywhere near the stage on that one...
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

Retro on Steroids
    Finally an advantage to being old. I got to see all the acts I wanted to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Not my parents doing, but one concert I missed due to working a minimum wage job as a lot jockey really pisses me off.

The Stones played Soldier Field in 1978. I had a ticket, and a car load of friends were going. Journey was opening. I had a crappy summer job washing cars at a local car dealership. I told them I wanted that day off when I hired on, and they said sure. A week before the concert, when the schedule was posted, they had me working on that Saturday. I reminded them that I told them up front I wouldn't be there on that day, and they said if I didn't show up, I was fired.

Turns out, I was the ONLY schmuck who showed up that day, everyone else went. The concert was GA, and the people I were going with ended up 20 rows back from the stage.

I learned a valuable lesson. Work never takes precedence over a lifetime opportunity. I've faced down several angry managers since then to do various things. Missing that show still pisses me off though.