Best burrito in America- Mtbr.com
    Hi There!

Best burrito in America

They put some real effort into this, props to the lady.

America’s Best Burrito | FiveThirtyEight
    NTFTC

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Party foul!!!

Who are they to say which are the best. I live in the part of the world that is considered to have the best Mexican Food anywhere. I sample it all the time. There are so many great places here, each a little different from the next but all of them are the best. They all have a "best burrito" of their own recipe. Impossible pick just one. Couldn't live without all of them.

nvphatty
    I made one earlier today, well perhaps it was in the making the last 2 days but it showed today none the less.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I made one earlier today, well perhaps it was in the making the last 2 days but it showed today none the less.
    I trust it was a satisfying burrito?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I trust it was a satisfying burrito?
    it was a sign i can hit the fill station again.

I didn't do it
    it was a sign i can hit the fill station again.
    That sounds like a good burrito.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Party foul!!!

Who are they to say which are the best. I live in the part of the world that is considered to have the best Mexican Food anywhere. I sample it all the time. There are so many great places here, each a little different from the next but all of them are the best. They all have a "best burrito" of their own recipe. Impossible pick just one. Couldn't live without all of them.
    I totally agree.When I lived in So. Cal. the number of Mexican food places range in the 10's of thousands. Many of which are amazing. And then move outwards from the border and across the u.s.a. and there are so many different tastes its impossible for anyone to narrow down the best. What a joke for anyone to make such a claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I didn't do it
    I'm not going to put these burritos on any best of list because they aren't quite the same as these big burritos that are the focus here. When I was going to school in Ft Collins, CO many moons ago there was this nice old Mexican woman who would roam around the neighborhood selling these small, tightly wrapped burritos. She didn't speak much English and it was random chance when she would show up. Anyhow they were made with these thick, home made tortillas and very simply filled with beef or pork and what I'm sure were homemade frijoles refritos. Not much more than that and only a couple dollars each. They were so damn tasty.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

nvphatty
    I'm not going to put these burritos on any best of list because they aren't quite the same as these big burritos that are the focus here. When I was going to school in Ft Collins, CO many moons ago there was this nice old Mexican woman who would roam around the neighborhood selling these small, tightly wrapped burritos. She didn't speak much English and it was random chance when she would show up. Anyhow they were made with these thick, home made tortillas and very simply filled with beef or pork and what I'm sure were homemade frijoles refritos. Not much more than that and only a couple dollars each. They were so damn tasty.
    these are what dreams are made of, much like the neighbor that makes fresh bread each day.

I didn't do it
    these are what dreams are made of, much like the neighbor that makes fresh bread each day.
    Mmm Mmm good. I must be dreaming.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

DFL
    I haven't lived in So. Cal since I was filling my diapers so I can't comment on the quality of food there, but I had some pretty good stuff growing up in DFW, TX. There's a pretty decent Hispanic population in this part of NC and we are lucky enough to have a good Mexican restaurant right down the street from our house. The burritos are decent, but the fajitas are where it's at there. To be perfectly honest, I'd be happy with a Chipotle burrito almost on a daily basis if my bank account/waist line would support it.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I strongly urge everyone here to steer clear of San Felipe, Mexico. That's where I had a dog (straight off the rotisserie) burrito, unknowingly. As I've mentioned before, it looked like a lamb. Hard to tell a lamb from a dog when skinned, gutted, and beheaded.

Pipe Dreamer
    A burrito in hand is worth two in the bush.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I didn't do it
    I strongly urge everyone here to steer clear of San Felipe, Mexico. That's where I had a dog (straight off the rotisserie) burrito, unknowingly. As I've mentioned before, it looked like a lamb. Hard to tell a lamb from a dog when skinned, gutted, and beheaded.
    Ewww. So what gave it away? Did you overhear one of the locals say something like "este perro no es bueno"?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Ewww. So what gave it away? Did you overhear one of the locals say something like "este perro no es bueno"?
    More or less. My Spanish improves, the drunker I am.

Rent this space for $

This is a VERY regular thing here in California and strong where I'm at on the Central Coast. Then the stray cat and dog population dwindles and the burrito/tamale ladies move on.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    This is a VERY regular thing here in California and strong where I'm at on the Central Coast. Then the stray cat and dog population dwindles and the burrito/tamale ladies move on.
    I've had Mtn Lion at the Wild Game BBQ up in SLO. Is it anything like alley cat?

I didn't do it
    More or less. My Spanish improves, the drunker I am.
    Lol, I hear ya on that!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Hmmm, we never did find out what happened to good ol' Patches.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Rent this space for $
    I've had Mtn Lion at the Wild Game BBQ up in SLO. Is it anything like alley cat?
    That used to be an awesome event! I don't know how long it's been gone but it's been quite a while. Never had any kitty, though.

mtbr member
    Fail.

Carnitas FTW though.

There are way too many factors to say who makes the best burrito. Tortilla is the first key to success. Too hot, not hot enough? Etc.

For me living near the border we have an amazing selection of ingredients to choose from. But I like Sonoran style Mexican food. Totally different than say Mexico City. I hate jalapeos. Not the heat the taste. A good hot green chili is so much better. Carnitas smothered in a green chili sauce? Makes a bad tortilla better. Beans? Use bacon fat for flavor. But over do it and it's too salty. Cabbage vs lettuce. Guacamole can be an AWESOME topping. But again, so much variation in a topping that can in itself contain more than 10 ingredients.

This is making me hungry.

Rent this space for $
    Bottom line...the best burrito better be the one I'm eating at that time. Then, the next that will change when I go somewhere else.

banned
    Sep 2010
    If the title to this was "the best burrito in San Diego, or Los Angeles, or El Paso, it would be a challenging enough task; making it inclusive for the entire U.S. makes it an impossible task.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No such thing as best burrito. I didn't see any Baja style
    with seafood in there. I do love a good shrimp burrito.

~Disc~Golf~
    I find that the more North (and East) you go from San Diego, the burrito quality suffers.
    This may apply to border tows from CA to TX

Up here in NorCal, I fin myself having to explain that a Carne Asada Burrito does not have rice, beans, or a damn bell pepper
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Hi There!
    well, how it started off was they looked at the yelp and other reviews of like 70,000 burrito places in America, then narrowed it down, so that was a good start. anyway i wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the winner, just amazed that the chick actually put that much effort into it.
    NTFTC

mtbr member

Best burrito in America

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I totally agree.When I lived in So. Cal. the number of Mexican food places range in the 10's of thousands. Many of which are amazing. And then move outwards from the border and across the u.s.a. and there are so many different tastes its impossible for anyone to narrow down the best. What a joke for anyone to make such a claim.
    x2!! Amen there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Party foul!!!

What part of Mexico do you live in?

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    I think he lives in North Mexico. You might know it as Los Angeles.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Hell Track
    Best I've ever had is in San Diego. Lots of great places. L.A. for Tacos, San Diego for Burritos

Meatbomb
    Tacos Al Pastor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Dude what are you doing having a burrito in San Felipe?
    San Felipe = Fish Tacos

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Have you tried the surf n' turf from JV?

Description from menu:
    "Shrimp and Carne asada w/ rice and guac Wrapped in 2 tortillas"

Meatbomb
    I've been all over the Baja and find the food improves as you travel south...until you pass La Paz.

banned
    Sep 2010
    It's a place called California. Illegaly annexed by the U.S. following a war of aggression. But all of the names of the original towns are still in Spanish, and California is slowly being re-taken by the Mexicans via attrition.

Excellent Mex food is one of their more effective weapons. Gabachos go loco for it.

mtbr member
    you can easily judge a burrito goin in by the burrito goin out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    It's a place called California. Illegaly annexed by the U.S. following a war of aggression. But all of the names of the original towns are still in Spanish, and California is slowly being re-taken by the Mexicans via attrition.

Excellent Mex food is one of their more effective weapons. Gabachos go loco for it.
    I see, I see. So does this Mexifornia uh, Califexico place also excel in Tequila? I must visit this enchanted land before fences go up...

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by semental View Post
    Have you tried the surf n' turf from JV?

Description from menu:
    "Shrimp and Carne asada w/ rice and guac Wrapped in 2 tortillas"
    I believe so, is that the one that no mortal man can finish? I haven't lived there in 12 years but i remember a friend took me to a place with a Surf/turf burrito. it was awesome but neither of us could finish. it was huge!

mtbr member

Best burrito in America

San Felipe = Fish Tacos
    Yes for sure!! I've consumed so many of those over the years and wish I was still close enough you go there more often. Also Porto Nuevo has great food too!!! Memories!!!

gobsmacked Moderator

Best burrito in America

Haters.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410456528.707507.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  70.1 KB

banned
    Sep 2010
    I see, I see. So does this Mexifornia uh, Califexico place also excel in Tequila? I must visit this enchanted land before fences go up...
    Better hurry. I hear Arizona is building one even as we speak.

Meatbomb
    If you want good Tequila go to Mickeys in Rocky Point.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbullandmtb View Post
    Yes for sure!! I've consumed so many of those over the years and wish I was still close enough you go there more often. Also Porto Nuevo has great food too!!! Memories!!!

Yup many a visit there for me as well. Fresh caught lobster carne asada and cerveza. A quick get away just an hour south of San Diego and you're in a different world with nothing but good times and relaxation.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Not much of a burrito fan, but while I was visiting friends in LA, they took me to a place and I had a fish taco that was to die for. Its been 3 years and I still dream about that taco. Gonna have to call him and find out the name of that place. All I know is it was somewhere in Long Beach.

Rent this space for $
    I've been dreaming about Tacos since I was about 12 or so...give or take.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Best burrito in America

I've been dreaming about Tacos since I was about 12 or so...give or take.
    Ehl oh Ehl

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    They put some real effort into this, props to the lady.

America’s Best Burrito | FiveThirtyEight
    + Rep for having the fortitude to put up a "best burrito " thread. This shouldn't evoke any strong opinions or anything

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    This shouldn't evoke any strong opinions or anything
    Burritos are gringo food.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I've been all over the Baja and find the food improves as you travel south...until you pass La Paz.
    Punta San Fransisquito, S/O/Cortez side. Access only if you fly in yourself.. Lobster burritos made while you wait. Just bring your own lobster from your dive.

ahhhhhhhhhh Baja v

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rocky Point? is that south of arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    If you want good Tequila go to Mickeys in Rocky Point.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Burritos are gringo food.
    Hell yes they are. Just don't add rice to a burrito. Adding rice to a burrito shows....well, it shows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    +1... tortas are mexican!

nvphatty
    blah blah put in the fuggah what you wish and name it what you wish end of burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Not much of a burrito fan, but while I was visiting friends in LA, they took me to a place and I had a fish taco that was to die for. Its been 3 years and I still dream about that taco. Gonna have to call him and find out the name of that place. All I know is it was somewhere in Long Beach.
    Head south to San Diego and they get even better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    after a 50 mile ride i will try this. but first the ride just to make it even.\

Bacon Weave Cheeseburger Burrito - Thrillist Recipes

after a 50 mile ride i will try this. but first the ride just to make it even.\

Bacon Weave Cheeseburger Burrito - Thrillist Recipes
    Holy bacon thread Batman!!!

gobsmacked Moderator

Best burrito in America

Well ****. That backfired. Best burrito in America-imageuploadedbytapatalk1410571999.090606.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Well ****. That backfired. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410571999.090606.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	922994
    What did??

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by john kuhl View Post
    no such thing as best burrito. I didn't see any baja style
    with seafood in there. I do love a good shrimp burrito.
    this !

GONE
    Nov 2008
    San Felipe = Fish Tacos
    There's a very strong probability that the dog meat was actually in tacos. I was on my 47th 10 ounce Corona by then and I had the munchies.

Did I finish my dog meat whatever-they-weres? Oh, probably because I was hungry...

Ho'lier than thou
    What did??
    The place in SF got #1 in the "Best burrito in 'merica" article, resulting in the long line you see in the picture.

There's a very strong probability that the dog meat was actually in tacos. I was on my 47th 10 ounce Corona by then and I had the munchies.

Did I finish my dog meat whatever-they-weres? Oh, probably because I was hungry...
    I actually wouldn't mind trying dog meat if an opportunity presents. I'm curious what it tastes like.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    The place in SF got #1 in the "Best burrito in 'merica" article, resulting in the long line you see in the picture.

I actually wouldn't mind trying dog meat if an opportunity presents. I'm curious what it tastes like.
    Doesn't taste like chicken. Texture of almost pork, but with a less gamey, sweeter flavor. I highly don't recommend being in a position to taste it.

Hi There!
    Doesn't taste like chicken. Texture of almost pork, but with a less gamey, sweeter flavor. I highly don't recommend being in a position to taste it.
    I've been to the Philippines twice, I saw dog cages behind restaurants, although nothing was listed as dog on the menu.
    NTFTC

Ho'lier than thou
    That actually sounds even more tempting.

I guess it's a cultural thing (I grew up outside of the USA). I certainly don't want to eat my own pet dog and other dogs I have some emotional attachment to, but I really don't have any problem eating some random dog meat.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    That actually sounds even more tempting.

I guess it's a cultural thing (I grew up outside of the USA). I certainly don't want to eat my own pet dog and other dogs I have some emotional attachment to, but I really don't have any problem eating some random dog meat.
    Ask this woman how it taste's.
    Man accused of cooking, feeding ex-girlfriend's dog to her

"Bandit, Bandit cover your ears"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best burrito in America-image.jpg  

Ho'lier than thou
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    That's sick. I feel bad for that woman.

"Bandit, Bandit cover your ears"
    Bandit is safe, DJ.

That's sick. I feel bad for that woman.

Bandit is safe, DJ.
    No worries he minds well and covered his ears just in time.

I didn't do it
    No worries he minds well and covered his ears just in time.
    Not to mention good ol' bandit would charm your butt off!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

gobsmacked Moderator

Best burrito in America

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Bandit is safe, DJ.
    Maybe not (licks chops)...

Quote Originally Posted by hawg View Post
    maybe not (licks chops)...
    woof!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've had a lot of tacos in TJ. I bet a lot where dogs and cats. Like Hawg said
    after enough beers its all good.

I didn't do it
    Maybe not (licks chops)...
    Oh Hawg, I just about spilled out of my chair.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I hate to escalate this conversation to new lows, but I hope those TJ tacos don't/didn't have any man-flesh in them.

gobsmacked Moderator
    haha. funny, hawg.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    haha. funny, hawg.
    Hey GOB, were you at the show? We were looking for you but we don't know what you look like, lol. We saw francois and 007 was texting with CHUM (but we never met up). I was going to ask you if you were wearing any panties if I would have happened upon you...

Perves

gobsmacked Moderator

Best burrito in America

Hey GOB, were you at the show? We were looking for you but we don't know what you look like, lol. We saw francois and 007 was texting with CHUM (but we never met up). I was going to ask you if you were wearing any panties if I would have happened upon you...
    You guys were there?! I had a pass but had some stuff come up. That would have been great to finally meet the SoCal guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I made the mistake of opening the Best Burrito link while I was eating a salad. I'm just so sad now.

Weird huh?
    After of full week of burritos....

For those in the San Jose area... Taqueria El Coral - Blossom Valley - San Jose, CA | Yelp

Taqueria El Coral I actually hit them up for 7 chicken/frijoles/salsa burritos over the course of the last week.
    Outfrigginstanding !!!!! Their beans and tortillas are what really make it spark. Homemade stretchy, chewy tortillas, solid beans. Yum.

I'd give it 5 outta 5. Worth a try if you're in the area.

Cheers !!!