Sweep the leg!

Beer at your LBS

Over the years I've cracked one open once the doors are closed or enjoyed one when the shop had a porch. Yesterday I was helping out at the Dreambikes in Milwaukee to help them prepare for their open house next week. Once I was finished with my work I asked where the Beer 'Fridge was. They don't have one. Which is fine because they have minors working there and it's simply not needed in the shop. Then one of the adults says "but we'll have a barrel of Lakefront for the open house"

It's a party after all, so it shouldn't be a problem. On the hour drive home I got to thinking about other shops I'd been to that either had a beer fridge or would send an employee for beer at the end of the day. Except for DB, I couldn't think of any. Even the Gun Shop I worked at in college would get beer at the end of the day but we had to drink it all or take it home. No, we didn't go into the basement range and shoot while drinking.

What about your LBS's?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

since 4/10/2009
    never a beer fridge or anything like that.

mtbr member extraordinair
    who needs a beer fridge....The Hub in Brevard NC has taps. Brilliant!!

Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Suckin wind like a boss
    i was appalled at my lbs last week when a friend of the mechanic cracked a beer, mid day.

who in their right mind lets friends drink miller high life, in a can? and in public, no less! i wanted to smack the both of them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I don't know of any that do around here but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I used to work for a boat mechanic who kept beer in the shop so he could drink after hours when he was working on his race boat. He would sometimes ask me during the work day if I could run to the store and pick up a 6pack for him but I wasn't 21 yet.

mtbr member
    One of our LBS's sales beer. It's also a bike rental shop on the River Trail here. Stoped in Wed after 35 miles and had an Amstell Light, delish!

mtbr member
    Revolution Cycles in Flagstaff AZ you have to walk down the hall to the attached Mother Road Brewery. I've also seen a punk show in that same bike shop where about 50 people threw all their empties at the band for a few hours. If you bought anything from them for awhile, it probably smelled like beer

since 4/10/2009
    I think my current LBS has a very strong incentive not to allow a beer fridge. I was told a story about a former mechanic they had who was apparently a pretty skilled mechanic, but who was also an alcoholic and was very nearly always drunk and therefore very unreliable.

see me rollin, they hatin
    it exists...and sometimes i bring beer to them. just being a good patron

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In SoCal I haven't found a LBS that doesn't
    like or have beer on hand. Hell this is America
    isn't it?

Best, John

I hate that name.
    We don't have a "beer fridge" but we do have a plain ol fridge (compact variety) that often has beer in it along side water, sodas, lunches, etc. And there are usually various liquors to be found in the cabinet next to the fridge.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Never drank a beer in my LBS but I've stumbled in there happily buzzed a few times in the past...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    The guys at my LBS are usually hoisting a pint about 30 minutes before closing time. I have dropped off a few cases of store bought and homebrewed beers over the years.
    However, here's a little bit of advise -
    Beer makes for a good tip, but it doesn't pay the bills. If you really want to tip your bike mechanic, give them a little extra cash once in a while
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    One of my LBS doubles as the local home brew store if that counts for anything.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i was appalled at my lbs last week when a friend of the mechanic cracked a beer, mid day.

who in their right mind lets friends drink miller high life, in a can? and in public, no less! i wanted to smack the both of them!
    C'mon, don't knock the high life till you try it. Its the champagne of beers.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have had some at an opening party once. Never in a legit shop during business hours.

Went to a hipster shop in atlanta once and there were boxes and empties of pbr all over the store. Overflowing the trash can, on floors, and on tables. I bet you a cold one he had a fridge somewhere.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I have had some at an opening party once. Never in a legit shop during business hours.

Went to a hipster shop in atlanta once and there were boxes and empties of pbr all over the store. Overflowing the trash can, on floors, and on tables. I bet you a cold one he had a fridge somewhere.
    Or maybe they picked up the empties at the recycle center and just used them as decor.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    We don't have a "beer fridge" but we do have a plain ol fridge (compact variety) that often has beer in it along side water, sodas, lunches, etc. And there are usually various liquors to be found in the cabinet next to the fridge.
    This is my shop. They have a beer fridge, and it isn't for everyone. But more than once I have gone in after a ride and gone behind the counter to be rewarded with a fresh brew.

I seriously love my bike shop. Moving in two months, and I will miss the bike shop and it's people more than anything else.

Noob!
    We have a place in town called Zone 5 and its a Cafe with good food, beers and is a fully functioning bike shop that happens to be an Ellsworth dealer :O

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That would be nice. I think its becoming a thing of the past. At our car dealer we used to have liqour and cigars, those days are LONG past.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Not a bike shop, but early in my wrenching career I started at a small independant auto repair shop with a kegerator in the owners office. Day one the owner says " Now remember Jon, no drinking till 3:30pm." I replied " but we work til 5pm." he said " exactly, now pour me a beer."

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post

All my relatives live in Brevard, If I could figure a way to make a good living there thats where I would be now

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    Sweet picture dude!
    Holy crap. I didn't realize Brevard was a cool spot. I live in Raleigh. I knew the MTBing was primo but didn't know there was any type of stuff beyond that. I am currently thinking of moving there or Ashville, you may have sealed the case for Brevard. Expect a PM with tons of asenine questions in the coming days.

On the LBS/beer front: I just started going to a new LBS who are awesome but I'm not sure if they have one though I bet they do. But I'll never know since I have a bus to catch after work and they close after I catch it. Maybe one Friday though...

mtbr member
    When I started to frequent on of the LBS close to me, they'd hand me a cold one now and then. When they'd pull off a nice job on one of my bikes, I'd also bring them in a twelve as an additional thanks. Makes life a little better.

Members who have read this thread: 0