BBQ anyone?- Mtbr.com

Thread: BBQ anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

BBQ anyone?

I'm a BBQ fool!!

chicken breast frozen HB and baby carrots tonite. Gotta git on OlMarin and go burn off dinner!
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Needs some olive oil for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rabid Lana Fan
    looks good!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Needs some olive oil for the win.
    But of course! I brush my meat just before it comes off.

wait.........

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    BTW I'm a Weber fan boy. I have the big One Touch which I used tonite and a Smoky Joe when I'm just doing a steak, burger or such. I've also found good ol' Kingsford briquettes are the best dollar value. Shut the vents down when finished and reuse the coals next time. Gas? Bite your tongue. That's for posers.
    Also I have so much sage growing here I throw some on before sticking the lid on. The sage smoke equals mouthgasms!
    And the pan you see is a restaurant slotted 1/2 pan used on steam tables. Found it at a yard sale this spring. I also drilled holes in a loaf pan for meat loaf. The grease drips out and the sage smoke goes in. Best meat loaf ever even if I do say so myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm using the camp chef smoker love it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    BBQ? ...or grilling? Looks like you're "grilling". There's a difference, ask a Southerner.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Meatbomb
    Attached Images Attached Images

western NC
    Some good lookin' eatin' in here guys. I think we're using the European term of BBQ. But yeah, I smoke, grill, all that stuff. Here's some chops I did recently, Carolina seasoned, with some squash and zucchini tossed in olive oil and seasoning.

BBQ anyone?-holland.jpg

Here's one for ya, ever seen a grill cook sausage, AND biscuits?

BBQ anyone?-img_0527-2-.jpg

One ring to mash them all
    On a camping trip I forgot the griddle inserts for my Coleman Road Trip grill, so I cooked bacon over the open flame. Interesting flare ups kept the kids entertained.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Gonna go out for a sail but grilling later. Gotta let the sun come out first. Got some tombo and swordfish to cook later.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

western NC
    I was craving wings this evening, so that's what I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BBQ anyone?-img_0888.jpg  

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    ^ Yum!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Giving me ideas. Glad I started this thread. Here's another one.

I drilled holes in this loaf pan. Decided to take a pic while I was adding some sage. Meat loaf works better than the oven. I use full fat burger (50/50 with sausage of course). The fat drips out while the sage smoke goes in. It's meat loaf that holds together every time and tastes great.
    We're talkin' serious mouthgasms here.

western NC
    Mmmmmm, meatloaf!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Did back ribs tonite, sorry no pics. I have a rack that holds 4 racks. Ribs freeze very well. No sense in doing one as it doesn't take much more fuel to do 4. Cut into single servings and put in quart zippy bags
    This is great when I have unexpected dinner guests. Outa the freezer, defrost in the micro, stick in a warm oven for an hour.
    I make my own mop sauce as I can't tolerate a lot of sugar. They taste like ribs, not BBQ sauce

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This is what we did tonight

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    gingus, looks great!. Man, if we ever get a bunch of us together with a bunch of grills, we'll have to do a double century after dinner to burn off all the calories!

western NC
    Eff that, ride before, brews and food after.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OlMarin View Post
    gingus, looks great!. Man, if we ever get a bunch of us together with a bunch of grills, we'll have to do a double century after dinner to burn off all the calories!
    Always bike first. With a smoker it takes an hour or more before it's done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gingus View Post
    Always bike first. With a smoker it takes an hour or more before it's done.

Most of what I do takes longer than that. If we get, say, a brisket I'd fire up the offset and that you need to start early in the morning. But oh so good!

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Ahhh, hell yeah.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Eff that, ride before, brews and food after.
    After seeing these pics, screw the ride.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    After seeing these pics, screw the ride.
    Correct. The outdoor cooking talent here, all of which surpasses mine, would mean we'd be laying around like beached whales groaning and saying we ate too much.
    Not like that's a bad thing. The day after would be ride time.

mtbr member
    Lamb ribs and pork belly on the Weber kettle tonight, nomnomnom!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Lamb ribs and pork belly on the Weber kettle tonight, nomnomnom!!
    I'll be right over.......

mtbr member
    Here's my offset that I fire up about once a month.
    Brisket is my specialty. Pulled Pork is always a hit. My turkey is unbeatable, I end up cooking 8-10 turkeys for Thanksgiving for several families.
    I did a pork loin last weekend that deserved a place in the Smithsonian
    BBQ anyone?-0424161528b.jpg

BBQ anyone?-0712151659.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatrma View Post
    Here's my offset that I fire up about once a month.
    Brisket is my specialty. Pulled Pork is always a hit. My turkey is unbeatable, I end up cooking 8-10 turkeys for Thanksgiving for several families.
    I did a pork loin last weekend that deserved a place in the Smithsonian
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0424161528b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1140828

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0712151659.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	1140829
    I think you just kicked things up a notch. Awesome smoker. I think mine would hold 2 turkeys. Camp chef smoker pro is what I have.

J:
    Yumthread...still never had meatloaf, what's in it, looks like giant burger patty??
    video=youtube;][/video]...

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    Yumthread...still never had meatloaf, what's in it, looks like giant burger patty??
    pretty much, but with more sawdust
    always mad and usually drunk......

western NC
    ^^That smoker is bad ass!

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    pretty much, but with more sawdust
    You've been eating the wrong meatloaf. It's delicious if done right.

mtbr member
    Sure do. I have a Char Griller Smokin' Pro.

Works pretty good for what I need it to do. Usually do pulled pork with picnic shoulder. I'll toss some Brisket it too from time to time.

I love hitting chickens with mesquite and then making fajitas or whatever out of the meat.

All smoked bones make awesome soups too. Make a yellow pea soup out of your pork bones, it's killer.
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    Sure do. I have a Char Griller Smokin' Pro.

Works pretty good for what I need it to do. Usually do pulled pork with picnic shoulder. I'll toss some Brisket it too from time to time.

I love hitting chickens with mesquite and then making fajitas or whatever out of the meat.

All smoked bones make awesome soups too. Make a yellow pea soup out of your pork bones, it's killer.

Ribs are my kryptonight. About the only thing I cook I'm not happy with. I'm keep threatening to get about 20 racks and spend a day trying to get it figured out.

mtbr member
    I think you just kicked things up a notch. Awesome smoker. I think mine would hold 2 turkeys. Camp chef smoker pro is what I have.

Thanks, I got a killer deal on that smoker and spent a couple of hundred rebuilding it. I want a bigger one but don't really need one. I did three 20lb turkeys for friend last Thanksgiving with plenty of room. I could do 5 maybe 6 good briskets but would have to rotate them away from the firebox.

mtbr member
    Ribs are my kryptonight. About the only thing I cook I'm not happy with. I'm keep threatening to get about 20 racks and spend a day trying to get it figured out.
    Honestly, I've done a bunch of different things and I've come to the conclusion it's inconsistencies in the meat. I've done multiple racks and some would be killer soft (like too soft, can barely get em off the grate) and others would be tough as hell. If I change something I only change one thing at a time.

I usually get Smithfield full racks, cut out a St.Louis slab and chunk the rest into spareribs

Here's what I do-

Rub the night before

Get the temp in the box to 190-200.

Apple wood chunks

Bake for 3-3.5 hrs

depending on temp and feel I'll then coat in honey and turbinado sugar and using tin foil braise in Apple juice and cider vinegar 10:1 for about 45 mins- 1hr. Just a little bit of liquid in the tent.
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    Basically. I use 50/50 pork breakfast sausage and hamburger. I had a guest that nite with celiac, so gluten free oatmeal was the filler, which is used to soak up the ketchup, BBQ sauce or whatever you add for flavor. Some people like to use egg. I don't. I like to use granulated garlic and diced onion, sometimes finely diced celery. And of course salt and pepper. Really no wrong way to make a meat loaf. And the sammiches, oh man, the sammiches the next day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Basically. I use 50/50 pork breakfast sausage and hamburger. I had a guest that nite with celiac, so gluten free oatmeal was the filler, which is used to soak up the ketchup, BBQ sauce or whatever you add for flavor. Some people like to use egg. I don't. I like to use granulated garlic and diced onion, sometimes finely diced celery. And of course salt and pepper. Really no wrong way to make a meat loaf. And the sammiches, oh man, the sammiches the next day.
    Man. I'm even starting to crave meatloaf. My wife has balked about doing meatloaf in the smoker, but that sounds delish!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Agreed. That's a nice offset Jatrma has. My offset is the cheap Chargriller with the added smoker box. I don't use it but a couple times a year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Man. I'm even starting to crave meatloaf. My wife has balked about doing meatloaf in the smoker, but that sounds delish!
    I tried it in a loaf pan without holes. Didn't work on the grill, might as well put it in the oven. I doubt if the wife will agree to you butchering anything she has in the kitchen. Try finding a used one.
    I also found there are a few things to keep it from being crumbly. Dice the onion real fine, like 5mm or less. Mix it up either in the morning or the nite before. That way the ingredients get to know each other. Don't be afraid to mix it a bit wetter than what you think it should be. Last, don't use super lean meats, specially with the holes in the bottom and in the smoker. The fat helps it hold together. And doing it this way, most of it runs out anyway. My brother wants me to try one made with turkey burger. I think I'll add some veg oil to give it that stick it needs.
    I'll see about getting a pic of the bottom.

OF THE PAN, OF THE PAN!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    BBQ anyone?-s6000278.jpg
    Here we go. Just 1/4" holes. And deburr them with a larger twist drill or a countersink.

western NC
    You can also use shredded onion as the binder for meatloaf, or shredded potato as well.

Nothing fancy tonight, chop sirloin, squash and zucchini.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Shredded potato....giving me ideas. Frozen hashed browns...........I always use my Kitchen-Aid mixer to blend the ingredients. Because I'm lazy.
    Dang, I'm glad I started this thread.
    And HPI, I'll be right over. I've done various squash like you're doing there. Easy, healthy and not expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Details please. I use full ribs. Not that baby back tiny stuff. Dry rub overnight. Low and slow. I use a Webber kettle. Charcoal and soaked apple wood on one side, meat on the other. Drip pan with water/lemon/cider/vinegar/beer or what you have. Usually about 4-5 hours. Take a round toothpick, it should push through easily when done between the bones. Try spraying with 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 cider vinegar. At end wrap with foil and spray or sauce for at least an hour back on the smoker. REALLY should get the book by Steven Raichlen " BBQ America" great for tips, ideas , how to's and such. Dry rub is brown sugar, salt, pepper, chilli powder etc.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    For a twist, try this for a couple of racks of ribs (preferably pork):

I make a marinade/baste of apple juice, cider vinegar, maple syrup and garlic powder. Marinade over night and then bake in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours. Fire up and maintain you grill temp at 225-250 and grill for another 1.5-2 hours basting every 15-20 minutes.

Damn, now I'm hungry.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Ketchup!? that is an abomination -- a contaminant. Try beer, or bourbon. Any leftover liquid goes in the cook.

The onion doesn't go IN the meatloaf -- it goes on the coals. The onion smoke will drift upward and permeate the meat with a subtle flavor. I have heard people use jalapenos the same way. I have not tried them.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Details please. I use full ribs. Not that baby back tiny stuff. Dry rub overnight. Low and slow. I use a Webber kettle. Charcoal and soaked apple wood on one side, meat on the other. Drip pan with water/lemon/cider/vinegar/beer or what you have. Usually about 4-5 hours. Take a round toothpick, it should push through easily when done between the bones. Try spraying with 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 cider vinegar. At end wrap with foil and spray or sauce for at least an hour back on the smoker. REALLY should get the book by Steven Raichlen " BBQ America" great for tips, ideas , how to's and such. Dry rub is brown sugar, salt, pepper, chilli powder etc.
    I've tried the 2-2-1 technique which is pretty much the go to technique for an offset like mine. My main problem is focusing on ribs. It's always been something to add the cook in was already doing. Temps probably not right.
    Thats why I need to do just a rib cook with a few racks and just focus on that. Flavor is always good just too tough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've just been doing the quick pork chops, chicken breast, sausages and burgers. and sausages. Did I mention sausages? I use my Smokey Joe for this stuff and it's surprisingly efficient. Because it too shuts completely down, I end up going thru roughly 1/3 of a charcoal chimney per day. And fast. I end up with quite a bit of pre burned coals which start right now. Put in chimney first with any new on top. Light to grill time ends up being around 15 minutes.
    I'm doing a meat loaf a bit differently this time. Italian sausage and hamburger. Usual Italian/Creole seasoning suspects. Stuck the gluten free oats in the food processor for a quick spin. Mixed up the loaf last nite. Will report on any improvements in overall flavor/presentation

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Italian meat loaf conclusion; different. Not in a bad way, but the leftovers will be making some killer smoky spag sauce. I got some Roma tomatoes. I'll do a fresh quickie tomorrow nite.
    It did crumble only because the smell when it was 'resting' was torture! I just couldn't wait.

Co Springs
    Grilled ribeye, a dash of Lawrys and garlic salt. Corn on the cob, baked beans.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just had simple pork loin, baked beans 🍉 and Pasta 🥗 yummy!

mtbr member
    Wife just got me the iGrill Bluetooth thermometer kit. Now I can remotely monitor the temps of the food plus the smoker temps, from my phone!!
    No more opening the smoker to check internal temps the last part of the cook.
    The app even has a graphs so you can chart your cooks.

I'm excited to put this in action, my next cook was planned for July 4th but I may have to fire it up early for a test run. BBQ anyone?-0617171540.jpg