Your Best Friend

Awesome people you've met in the parking lot

I love mountain biking! I love riding in groups and having a great time with friends. I also like riding alone when I have to and really getting out there to push myself. Regardless, I usually find myself in the parking lot, suiting up, adjusting my air pressure, turning on the gps, doing my hair, and maybe even taking a leak right by my car. Inevitably I meet some great people in the parking lot. We talk, shoot the sh!t, and compare our bikes and all the cool stuff we just picked up. I love it. The neat thing is, I usually end up riding with these people. People I just met. In the parking lot. Sometimes I show them some new stuff, other times they show me. After that we are friends, the kind that have a common bond and will probably meet up again for some other random parking lot posings.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

AZ
    banned
    Strong bonds are forged on the trail. Complete strangers become valued friends after a few hours in the woods. Some of my best rides and experiences have begun with people that I did not know and now count as friends.

mtbr member
    You might just be a parking lot "Poser", LOL. I mean enjoying hanging out in the parking lot showing off your bling. Pretty sure that qualifies.

Seriously thou, very true.
    Last edited by theMeat; 05-16-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I've honestly never really met anyone in the parking lot. I've chatted a few times, but it always seems like I run into people as they are leaving and I'm just getting there or the other way around. I have yet to join a pickup riding group. I really wish I could find some decent people to befriend and ride with since all my friends, as far as biking is concerned, are pretty lame. I did just find out that my semi-LBS does shop rides on Wednesday evenings, I just have to plan ahead because the time they meet is pretty inconvenient for me.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I've honestly never really met anyone in the parking lot. I've chatted a few times, but it always seems like I run into people as they are leaving and I'm just getting there or the other way around. I have yet to join a pickup riding group. I really wish I could find some decent people to befriend and ride with since all my friends, as far as biking is concerned, are pretty lame.
    Maybe you just need to hang out in the parking lot longer . Eventually someone cool will come along.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    haha...but then I'd get labeled...lol
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I met my current Girlfriend in the parking lot. I was sitting on my tailgate bleeding and sipping a beer, and she came by and said "Nice road rash". I said "Thanks, I made it myself", and she sat and had a beer with me.
    We've been riding together and Knoodling ever since
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

AZ
    banned
    Great thread keep it coming.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    I usually meet em at a midway trailhead. Good gathering spots and everyone seems to be pretty happy mid-ride. This is where I usually join others for improvised group rides.

Damnit I hate work... I wanna ride now.

Suckin wind like a boss
    seeing as how im a noob, i try to make it a point to get to know people who ride. i only have 2 friends that ride, both of whom were on mtb hiatus until i decided to get into it. alas, they work days, and i work nights and weekends, so we dont often have a chance to ride together.

like nubster, my favorite lbs does wednesday evening rides- and wednesday is my monday, so i can never make them. i dont usually spend too much time in the lot; i did come to ride and not gawk. but i will strike up conversation with people as they roll by, and actively try to engage in conversation those who are parked closest.

i wont be joining the pickup rides anytime soon since im slow, but its still nice to meet folks who ride, if for no other reason than to have a chance to stop and say "hey" whenever we cross paths on the trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0