Anyone have a CCW permit?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone have a CCW permit?

If so do you carry when your in the boondocks riding?

I didn't do it
    Topic has been 100% covered. Do a search if you want to know where everybody on mtbr stands on the issue.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Circus is in town again I see

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, I have a pocket in my Camelback Pit Boss where I can conceal-carry my fire extinguisher. I know I'll get a lot of flak for it, but I'm figuring out in the forest, you might as well be prepared and I'd rather be riding around with a fire extinguisher than be engulfed in flames and wish I had one. Honestly, I think it's a little irresponsible to not have one, but to each his own. I know the forest service won't be able to react fast enough if I'm out there on my own.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sigh.
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, I have a pocket in my Camelback Pit Boss where I can conceal-carry my fire extinguisher. I know I'll get a lot of flak for it, but I'm figuring out in the forest, you might as well be prepared and I'd rather be riding around with a fire extinguisher than be engulfed in flames and wish I had one. Honestly, I think it's a little irresponsible to not have one, but to each his own. I know the forest service won't be able to react fast enough if I'm out there on my own.
    You think that puny little extinguisher is going to save you from a raging grizzly on fire?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Anyone have a CCW permit?

I have one, it's legal in twelve states but is too big in others and must be open carried, unloaded. Do I always carry? Yes. How does one answer such a question.

Wait, we're talking about penis, right?

thecentralscrutinizer
    I don't at the moment, but might someday.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Topic has been 100% covered. Do a search if you want to know where everybody on mtbr stands on the issue.
    So has tubeless tires, get off your soap box, the search feature here is a joke at best.

banned
    Jan 2013
    And I carry nearly everywhere, bike included.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Doh!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    You think that puny little extinguisher is going to save you from a raging grizzly on fire?
    I can empty my entire fire extinguisher in 2 seconds.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I can empty my entire load in 2 seconds.
    FIFY. You're welcome

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

I'd be afraid of loosing my gun or damaging it. I just started riding trails and can't see much a reason to carry. I'd leave it in the car... That is unless your trail is in the ghetto and your afraid someone is going to jump you for your bike on the trail. In that case yes I'd carry but I'd make sure I had quick access and maybe a tether to 100% ensure it doesn't go missing.

Lost guns are no joke!

mtbr member
    If the area you ride in is that bad, you may want to look at alternatives.

No CCW for me to answer the question.
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    So has tubeless tires, get off your soap box, the search feature here is a joke at best.
    I use Google, not mtbr search. You're right, the mtbr search is a joke.

I don't see any soapboxes.
    Last edited by Mookie; 09-10-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

SS Pusher Man

Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

EAT MORE GRIME
    religion, politics, and guns are not subjects for mtbr threads

except off topic

and even then they are candidates for band camp

CONCEALED CARRY means just that. conceal and hide this from everyone including posting on the internet

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not sure why all the hate on CCW, but yes I carry. Started carrying while hiking due to packs of dogs (real dogs not the 2 legged dogs). Talking with a local .gov paid trapper just last night, asked him about the area I have started riding, he has trapped and tagged 7 bear with 1 being in the 450 lb range. I need to make a larger purchase.

mtbr member
    I use one of these on every ride.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by gandrimp View Post
    Not sure why all the hate on CCW, but yes I carry. Started carrying while hiking due to packs of dogs (real dogs not the 2 legged dogs). Talking with a local .gov paid trapper just last night, asked him about the area I have started riding, he has trapped and tagged 7 bear with 1 being in the 450 lb range. I need to make a larger purchase.
    I heard .460 S&W is where the action's at. Personally I would get one with at least 8 inch barrel and wear it in one of those under the armpit holsters just like that guy in miami vice. Imo a suitable gun for bear defense needs to do its job even if you run out of bullets, you should be able to (at the very least) club a bear unconsious with it so you can get away safely.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member

The big question is which wheel size should I use when carrying? Also, should I use clip less or flats when armed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    The big question is which wheel size should I use when carrying? Also, should I use clip less or flats when armed?

Its common knowledge duh...

You always use a clipless pedal on your offhand side and a flat on the other side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    An armed society is a polite society... With dead criminals!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCiX View Post
    If so do you carry when your in the boondocks riding?
    When my what is in the boondocks riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'd heard that shooting a bear usually just made it really really angry.

mtbr member
    I did search with negative results

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Here.......http://forums.mtbr.com/recycle-bin/d...ng-628267.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/recycle-bin/c...ad-895557.html

I didn't do it
    What do you mean negative results. I found a couple more in addition to these. It takes like 30 seconds. You're just trolling my friend.

Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Geez, some of you people are so hostile! no wonder he wants to carry a gun!

I'm a cop and I carry my gun everywhere, it's second nature to me. In any case I don't see anything wrong with people protecting themselves and their families. Unfortunately this world is not fill with peace loving people.....even in the cycling community. If you don't like guns, that's fine.....when you're attacked you can call 911 and hope that your local police department gets there in time to save you.....but don't sit here and bash someone for being proactive when it comes to his safety. *mini rant over**

When I'm on my bike I use a Hill People Recon Kit Bag.....it holds my gun, badge, wallet, keys, spare tube, multi-tool, and patch kit......it works for me and I find it comfortable to have everything in one location, and have my pockets empty.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by AR424 View Post
    Lol, if you think this thread is hostile just take a look at the suggested reading.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes.
    A small .380 in my cargo shorts if I'm riding by myself on trails. Maybe not when riding with a group. Always when road biking.
    The .380 isn't for bears. I spend a lot of time hiking, hunting, backpacking and really don't fear the four legged beasts.
    It's the two legged beasts that would concern me. And really, they don't concern me that much. I've never even run across anyone that made me uncomfortable out in the woods.
    There's a very, very, very, low probability of my ever being a victim of violent crime.
    There's also a very, very, very, low probability of my house burning down, yet I keep fire extinguishers and working smoke alarms around.

A few years ago an older couple were murdered on a trail in Pisgah. Over near Pilot Rock trail, heck it may have been Pilot Rock. They just went out that day to enjoy a hike. Doubtful there's even cell reception up there and if there is, it would likely take a half hour at best for someone to come help.

I'm too old to fight but I don't intend to just roll over without a fight.

BTW, AR424, the HPG Kit bag is a great piece of gear, purely functional and does just exactly what it was designed for and does it well. I carry one hunting, backpacking and hiking. Been thinking of carrying it biking as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Coy dogs have attacked a couple people and killed several pets where I grew up. I never felt the need to carry out in the woods before this started happening. I think it's your choice what your going to do but if you are going to carry do it in a responsible manor and don't brag about having a gun. The last thing the gun community needs is more idiots and survivalist loonies representing them. That kind of behavior just fuels hatred towards guns and gun ownership. Remember what CCW means and act accordingly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't feel the need for CCW. Whenever I feel threatened, I just pretend to be somebody else appearing to ask innocent dumb questions in totally inappropriate places just so I can giggle about it with my other non-CCW buddies.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 09-10-2014 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I start concealed, but then I expose.
    If I am threatened on the trail - I start rubbing one out.
    It works every time, I'm still here.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    An armed society is a polite society... With dead criminals!
    Yep, all you have to do is look to the parts of the world where kids are given AK47s when they are 10. Some of the most polite and orderly parts of the world for sure!

Now, if they were given fire extinguishers instead...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Get help before continuing with the Internet.

Elitest thrill junkie

I'm a cop and I carry my gun everywhere, it's second nature to me. In any case I don't see anything wrong with people protecting themselves and their families. Unfortunately this world is not fill with peace loving people.....even in the cycling community. If you don't like guns, that's fine.....when you're attacked you can call 911 and hope that your local police department gets there in time to save you.....but don't sit here and bash someone for being proactive when it comes to his safety. *mini rant over**
    No kidding. I don't see why anyone would NOT want a fire extinguisher on a ride. I mean seriously, you are riding in the forest, it's combustible, forest fires happen, and there isn't a helicopter hovering overhead during your entire ride to dump retardant. The world is unfortunately not full of nice people that don't light forest fires.

BBW
    mtbr member

When I'm on my bike I use a Hill People Recon Kit Bag.....it holds my gun, badge, wallet, keys, spare tube, multi-tool, and patch kit......it works for me and I find it comfortable to have everything in one location, and have my pockets empty.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers
    thanks for posting that! great idea!
    BBW. MS, RD

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yep, all you have to do is look to the parts of the world where kids are given AK47s when they are 10. Some of the most polite and orderly parts of the world for sure!

Now, if they were given fire extinguishers instead...
    Aw c'mon... you don't think those religious nutbags are a "polite society"? but, but, but it's a religion of peace.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    You mad, bro?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Formerly of Kent

When I'm on my bike I use a Hill People Recon Kit Bag.....it holds my gun, badge, wallet, keys, spare tube, multi-tool, and patch kit......it works for me and I find it comfortable to have everything in one location, and have my pockets empty.[/url]
    My job, boiled down, is killing people, as an instrument of national policy.

I'm not bad at it, when required.

When I used to ride and race exclusively on the road, I was threatened and assaulted by drivers and their vehicles several times.

And yet, I will never, ever carry on a bike.

Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Aw c'mon... you don't think those religious nutbags are a "polite society"? but, but, but it's a religion of peace.
    Are you referring to African "Christians", South Asian "Buddhists" or Central Asian "Muslims"?

I know you're attempting to slander a particular religion, but you are a ****ing idiot if you think they are the only ones killing in the "name of God".

Death from Below.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Are you referring to African "Christians", South Asian "Buddhists" or Central Asian "Muslims"?

I know you're attempting to slander a particular religion, but you are a ****ing idiot if you think they are the only ones killing in the "name of God".

Whoa there cowboy... In world history, more wars have been started under the auspices of religion (ALL religion!) than for any other reason. Religions preach peace, yet look at the reality...

Now, I do understand that it is the fringes, the extremes, that give everyone a bad name. That's pretty much the same the world over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    this is going downhill at an alarming rate...

Big Mac

It always does. Which is threads on this subject suck and the op is a troll.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    The recycle bin is full of these threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    BS. Why is this not a legit question/topic? The people that get their panties all bunched about the subject and chime in with nothing worthwhile to say about it are d-bags IMO.

I don't own any firearms, and it's very unlikely that I'd ride with one if I did, but how is it any of my business if someone else decides they want to?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

The fact that I carry a firearm to any given place does not mean that I believe that place to be inherently unsafe. Guns are not unsafe or unpredictable.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Personally I think it's met expectations in terms of downhill speed. Based on prior experience of course. Once flats v clipless while CCW is introduced you will see some serious thread degradation. Stay tuned...

I didn't do it
    This is the trajectory that the OP intended.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    I searched CCW and nothing came up pertaining to my topic.

Fart smeller
    This is the trajectory that the OP intended.
    Well, going downhill is usually more fun.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yeah, I bit too... I'm sorry.

mtbr member
    Why am I a troll? Because I asked a simply question that has been brought up before. I searched "CCW" and nothing about guns popped up. I'm not here to argue on the forum but to share and take in good information that other members post. You're entitled to your own opinion so for you to call me a troll is fine with me. I didn't post this topic to make someone mad, start an argument, or provoke other members into a emotional response (which is the definition of an internet troll).
    One of the plus features of being law enforcement is being able to carry to protect yourself and others as well. In my community of about 500,000 people there are a bunch of nuckheads looking to make a quick dollar. Therefore in carry whenever I feel the need. So for everyone who answered the question like an adult thank you for sharing. Everyone who called me a troll thank you too.

Mods if you feel my topic has offended or hurt other members feelings please delete it. Thanks!

~ B A D A S S ~
    CCW also means counter clockwise.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    CCW also means counter clockwise.
    True but you wouldn't need a permit for counter clockwise.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    BS. Why is this not a legit question/topic? The people that get their panties all bunched about the subject and chime in with nothing worthwhile to say about it are d-bags IMO.

I don't own any firearms, and it's very unlikely that I'd ride with one if I did, but how is it any of my business if someone else decides they want to?
    What's BS? I didn't comment on the legitimacy of the topic. I simply commented on the fact that these threads ALWAYS go south. Fast. That is all. So, you're BS.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Well, going downhill is usually more fun.
    That's what she said.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    True but you wouldn't need a permit for counter clockwise.
    Political trolling. Your objectives/directives are quite clear. Don't play innocent please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Political trolling. Your objectives/directives are quite clear. Don't play innocent please.
    Sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post

Me too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Jesus christ, it's just a fire extinguisher.

mtbr member
    Regardless of anything else with this thread, as I don't think I have ever posted in one of "these" threads-

Yes, I do have one.
    No, I do not while riding mountain bike. I would be too concerned about damaging my very expensive piece of equipment in the event of a crash, plus I don't want the responsibility of having it on me on a ride. Simple as that. I want to enjoy the ride as if I was a little kid, and leave the adult responsibility back at the house. That said, out here in the woods, I feel plenty safe - but that doesn't mean everyone does in their woods.

Attack Position
    That thing screams "I'M CARRYING!!"
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    BigCix check out the gun forums, better luck there considering
    mtbr is 95% gun hating granola crunching liberals

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I do have ccw permit but only carry on some of the real
    remote solo rides i do, I carry bear maze for the four legged creatures

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    I put it more like 20%.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    +3on the hill people gear. I try to carry all the time but sometimes it isn't convenient. However when I do a night ride at a local trail I always carry. I have been surprised in the dark parking area more than a few times. It's absolutely ignorant to think it couldn't happen to you.

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    To the OP, yes I have a CHL (ccw)...but I have nevered carried on a bike

I only read the next 4 posts and skipped to the bottom..

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    I'm registered on a few of them but I have a passion for both guns and biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    And spreading propaganda. I prefer you CCW folks/organizations just air dropped leaflets. At least that way I could start a fire or something useful. Instead I have to put up with you in every corner of the internet playing the poor oppressed me game. It's tiresome. And I support your rights now and always have. However, the "movement" is making me reconsider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by waffleBeast View Post
    Actually, I have one of those and it virtually disappears underneath a shirt. It's very small and compact. I've worn mine many times while jogging, right in front, beneath my bellybutton. It is simply invisible. But of course, that's with the shirttail covering it. With a shirt tucked in like that picture, yes you're right, it screams "I'm carrying".

FWIW, I do not wear one when riding. A Camelback is enough junk hanging on me. On shorter rides, I don't even wear a Camelback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waffleBeast View Post
    It really doesn't. The main compartment is made to appear too small for a gun. Also, when wearing a camelback it's barely noticeable. Anyone have a CCW permit?-5.11.png

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Unfortunately this world is not fill with peace loving people.....even in the cycling community. If you don't like guns, that's fine.....when you're attacked you can call 911 and hope that your local police department gets there in time to save you.....but don't sit here and bash someone for being proactive when it comes to his safety.
    This. I always carry. And another +1 for Hill People Gear and keeping pockets empty.

banned
    Apr 2010
    you are not alone, but most of us, have better things to do than try and wreck other peoples legit question. yes this horse has been beat to death, but it is a shame, that you can't ask a legit question with out the vocal minority taking your head off.

what I don't understand is, if you don't like a subject why reply to the thread.

I have carried a lot of guns on bikes, but always for purpose, never for protection. I like to hunt off of my bike, and it can be extremely successful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    you are not alone, but most of us, have better things to do than try and wreck other peoples legit question. yes this horse has been beat to death, but it is a shame, that you can't ask a legit question with out the vocal minority taking your head off.

what I don't understand is, if you don't like a subject why reply to the thread.

I have carried a lot of guns on bikes, but always for purpose, never for protection. I like to hunt off of my bike, and it can be extremely successful.
    Couldn't of said it better. Those few individual who have bashed my topic I just ignore. I won't even reply off their comments.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I own. No one needs to know what or where. I can't imagine a situation where I would need to carry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I own. No one needs to know what or where. I can't imagine a situation where I would need to carry.
    My uncle is a runner. One day on his normal route he was hospitalized after being attacked by a dog.

Some friends of mine were riding atvs on designated trails. Some crazy guy walked out of the woods and accused them of tresspassing. He was threating my friends while pointing a gun at the group which included several children.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    I have discharged in the toilet. It has never resulted in injury.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I have discharged in the toilet. It has never resulted in injury.
    Lol....good one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Honestly, this is a real question:
    Where are you all riding that you feel the need to carry?
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Big Mac

My uncle is a runner. One day on his normal route he was hospitalized after being attacked by a dog.

Some friends of mine were riding atvs on designated trails. Some crazy guy walked out of the woods and accused them of tresspassing. He was threating my friends while pointing a gun at the group which included several children.
    Just think, if everyone was packing on those days, they could have killed everything and lived to tell about it! Wait...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Honestly, this is a real question:
    Where are you all riding that you feel the need to carry?
    It doesn't matter where you are, things can go terribly wrong anywhere. why are you all so negative about people being prepared?

while this man 'just' got robbed, you have no idea what the polite man with the gun has in mind when you encounter him. He could have easily shot the rider and left him on the trail to die...or worse...

again, I don't understand why some of you are so negative about the idea of protecting oneself. If the topic isn't something you care about or agree with simply skip over the thread without inserting your $0.02..... just saying....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you need to carry a gun you shouldn't be going where you're going. Carry pepper spray. If you shoot someone you'll be going to jail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The unfortunate truth of living in a large metropolitan area and being a mountain biker, land is at a premium and finding enough undeveloped land for an activity such as this is difficult at best. Often times the only available space is in or near depressed areas and the local flair can be questionable. Lots of potential for auto break ins and personal harm, never mind the fact that bad things can happen anywhere. It's really up to you to protect yourself and loved ones. Don't be naive

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    If you need to carry a gun you shouldn't be going where you're going. Carry pepper spray. If you shoot someone you'll be going to jail.
    So you know when and where the next crime will occur? May be everyone should stay at home and not go anywhere, but wait...possible home invasion???

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Not in Louisiana if you are legitimately defending yourself.

But in our state, like most, you can "open carry" legally without a permit. I carry a big gun in a shoulder holster when riding deep in the middle of nowhere, largely for some protection against feral hogs and the like, and also when riding in some of the more "sketchy" areas.

I don't think feral hogs mind pepper spray at all.

But usually there is no real reason to carry a gun when riding. When there is I do. I'm not the best at hand-to-hand combat and I don't really want to get involved in a life-or-death struggle in the middle of nowhere if it can easily be avoided by just a show of force.

We have a lot of very sick people in our state. It's not as if they are confined in one area.

mtbr member
    If you shoot someone you'll be going to jail.

Not if I legitimately needed to fire my weapon!

If I did NOT legitimately need to fire it, then yes I should go to jail for a very, very long time.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

I have a CABWR permit.

Carry a bike while riding"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

Depends on the situation if your going to jail. You shouldn't carry if you don't know the rules.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat View Post
    So you know when and where the next crime will occur? May be everyone should stay at home and not go anywhere, but wait...possible home invasion???
    Or a FIRE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Political trolling.
    And what exactly is it that you're doing?

And what is it with people losing their **** at the mere mention of firearms? You people live in a frigging bubble or something?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I live in the most liberal state in the Union. So of course if I wanted to Concel carry on trail I do not even need a permit.

No reason for it around here though IMO. No dangerous animals, and the people are almost always nice.

mtbr member
    I saw on the news someone has been robbing stores with a fire extinguisher, turns out its a pretty effective weapon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I live in the most liberal state in the Union. So of course if I wanted to Concel carry on trail I do not even need a permit.

No reason for it around here though IMO. No dangerous animals, and the people are almost always nice.

Pennsylvania?

Better look up the laws again.

You most certainly DO need a Permit to Carry Firearms to conceal a firearm in the Commonwealth.
    You may OPENLY carry anything you want, but if you attempt to conceal, or go anywhere in a vehicle other than to or from a gunsmith or range/hunting area, you most certainly DO need that permit.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    I saw on the news someone has been robbing stores with a fire extinguisher, turns out its a pretty effective weapon.
    Fire extinguishers don't put out fires, people put out fires.

Flappity flappity flap
    Well then, smart guy, why do people need fire extinguishers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    you're so clever and funny! O-M-G!!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a fire extinguisher is a good guy with a fire extinguisher.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    One thing for sure, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you really NEED a gun (or fire extinguisher) there is absolutely nothing else that will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WNCGoater View Post
    One thing for sure, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you really NEED a gun (or fire extinguisher) there is absolutely nothing else that will work.
    This is absolutely false.

Which is why I always carry a crossbow and bucket of water when riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post

pffft, crossbows are useless outside of 50 yards, and what are you planning to do if you run into an oil fire, huh smart guy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    pffft, crossbows are useless outside of 50 yards, and what are you planning to do if you run into an oil fire, huh smart guy?
    This is why I always am the first to shoot, while they are close and just casually talking about biking, the weather, etc. "Damn, man, I can't believe you just shot me with that thing, what the...."

I also carry a towel for dampening and smothering oil fires for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I have a CABWR permit.

Carry a bike while riding"
    ^^^ Best post in this thread. I'd pos rep you if I could but I reached my quota for a 24 hour period.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Doh! (slap forehead with palm) I forgot about the crossbow. Personally, I prefer this over a crossbow. Never need a second shot. Some type of tow rig could work.
    Name:  trebuchet.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  10.6 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    On second thought, nah, think I'll just truck on with my little .380 in my pocket.

****** to the dirt
    Come on really it is not like your little squirt hose is going to put out that forest fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good to see the old AZ spirit lives.

mtbr member
    Hey Goat
    I have one of those. Fits in my truck. I use it to get a head start on the hikers.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

****** to the dirt
    Name:  bikegun.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  6.3 KB

here this will take care of anything that you would come across.
    My Blog

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post

Can't tell if it's a fixie or not. If it is, then dress appropriately!

...also, 27.5", 29er? what? We have to know!

Last thing... Flats or clipless?

mtbr member
    I love these threads ... it has been too long.

What is funny is that the 'incidents' cited by coke and AR424 to carry actually cause me to believe that carrying would probably only have made things worse in those occasions. The guy who's bike was stolen lived to tell about it, as did the people who were apparently stopped on an ATV trail. Who knows what would have happened if someone else had a gun in those scenarios?

Re: the dog attack, I guess, but it seems most times a dog gets you, its there before you know it; how would you stop your bike, find and draw your weapon and shoot the dog in the 3 second you have between when you figure out a dog is coming and when it bites you? Whenever I've seen a dog coming with enough time to square and face it, it has always stopped and didn't bite me.

If you're concerned about the 'could have's', well, it also could have been much worse if it devolved into a gun fight!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    I would rather "have and not need" than "need and not have".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    Sure, and if I ever see a legit 'need and not have' scenario that has occurred on the trails where I ride or hike, my mind would probably be changed. But I don't think I've seen that scenario yet. The examples cited do not change my mind.

I'm pro-gun, I guess (I mean, I own a couple and like to shoot, but they are always at home in the safe). But that doesn't mean I feel the need to carry it.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Sure, and if I ever see a legit 'need and not have' scenario that has occurred on the trails where I ride or hike, my mind would probably be changed. But I don't think I've seen that scenario yet. The examples cited do not change my mind.

I'm pro-gun, I guess (I mean, I own a couple and like to shoot, but they are always at home in the safe). But that doesn't mean I feel the need to carry it.
    Aren't you going to feel stupid if something does happen to you or yours and your guns are safe at home in your gun vault? I wonder how many dead people that has happened to?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I saw a bumper sticker recently that said "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat"

I just thought that was really funny. Carry on.

mtbr member
    We have VERY low crime here in NW SD, many, call it most carry at least a rifle in their trucks. They are not prey here.

mtbr member
    The problem is that the "have" seems to sometimes create the feeling of "need to use."

Yeah, the majority of gun owners are responsible but it's the small percentage of irresponsible gun owners who tend to freak us non-packin' folks out. If you ask me, based on how random strangers behave in public, somewhere between 2% - 5% of people are complete a$$holes. It's scary to think that some of them are armed with a handgun when they can't drive a car/bike/shopping cart like a civilized human being.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I find that CO2 inflation systems...if you carry a HUGE CO2 bottle...work on the non-screaming-alpha fires pretty well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

High Desert MTBer
    Same old sh*t... It's all been said before...

Except... you NEED one of these, especially to ward off those fire extinguisher-carrying nutjobs out there:

Anyone have a CCW permit?-mosquito-flamethrower-catcher-project-1.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by DeCoxter View Post
    +3on the hill people gear. I try to carry all the time but sometimes it isn't convenient. However when I do a night ride at a local trail I always carry. I have been surprised in the dark parking area more than a few times. It's absolutely ignorant to think it couldn't happen to you.
    Being surprised in a dark parking lot after a night ride on a local trail couldn't happen to me, unfortunately, we have no trails that are open at night.

More generally, the key word here is "surprise". I did have that kind of unpleasant surprise some years ago (in the city, not on a trail, and not on a bike). A gun would not have been of any use as I would not have had any time to get it out, and the bad guy would have gotten my gun (if I had had one).

If it is "more than a few times" in the same place, it must be a pretty bad area.

Can't resist.

I'm personally going to advocate for bike mounted Bayonets. I think 4 (one on each handlebar, one forward and one aft).

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Open carry is best.

High Desert MTBer
    Don't need no stinkin' CCW or any other kind of Carry when you have this potential:

Fractal Enlightenment | The Effect of Meditation on Crime

So I advocate all MTBers, 26, 29, 27.5, or just not sure, to have their own Meditation Group working for their protection...

(...you think I'm joking?!?...)
    It's all Here. Now.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    This subject always makes me laugh.

If you want to carry a gun on your mtb ride, fine. Heck, wear a feather boa for all I care. They are equally ridiculous, and I fully support your right to do either.

But the argument that this is somehow a reasonable precaution to prevent harm to yourself is just laughable. I could easily list 10 items that are lighter to carry and more likely to save your life (or another's) that you probably would not bother carrying.

Worried about getting mugged? Carry pepper spray or go big and pack bear spray. It will save you a whole mess of headaches (and possible prison time) if you make a bad call.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For those who laughingly point out that since nothing bad has ever happened to you this is indication those who carry are silly...

And those who feel somehow those who carry don't know the laws pertaining to the lawful use of deadly force and thus will somehow land in prison...

And those who perceive those who carry as some type of hotheads who will likely cause a benign situation to turn into a deadly scenario because a gun is present...

And those who are afraid of guns or those who carry them...

And everyone else who get all hyped up on this particular subject....

...to all, "Carry On!" That is your right and you should exercise that right!
    Myself, along with MANY others prefer to "Carry Concealed!" as that is also our right.

Take heart, you'll likely never know those who are armed around you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

You single speed guys think you're the stuff.

****** to the dirt
    So let me get this straight you want to carry a concealed gun for protection while mountain biking. Well if it is against muggers who have guns do you really think you are going to get your gun out before he shoots you? Or if he has a knife well you got a bike as a shield and a weapon. but that is all.

Name:  girlsandguns.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  8.8 KB
    My Blog

So let me get this straight you want to carry a concealed gun for protection while mountain biking. Well if it is against muggers who have guns do you really think you are going to get your gun out before he shoots you? Or if he has a knife well you got a bike as a shield and a weapon. but that is all.

Name:  girlsandguns.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  8.8 KB
    Nice......weapons!

western NC
    I'm a CC permit holder and I carry sometimes when I ride, but not for the reasons most would think. I carry a very small and light NAA .22 mag revolver in a jersey pocket loaded with (mostly) rat shot for snakes (and only poisonous snakes at that). Beyond that, I don't want the added weight of anything larger caliber to drag around.

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I'm a CC permit holder and I carry sometimes when I ride, but not for the reasons most would think. I carry a very small and light NAA .22 mag revolver in a jersey pocket loaded with (mostly) rat shot for snakes (and only poisonous snakes at that). Beyond that, I don't want the added weight of anything larger caliber to drag around.
    So your out killing snakes so the rodent population just keeps growing. Nice!

western NC
    So your out killing snakes so the rodent population just keeps growing. Nice!
    Nope, I'm out riding and not actively hunting down snakes. Just because I may or may not be carrying doesn't change in my intended activity for the day.

Nope, I'm out riding and not actively hunting down snakes. Just because I may or may not be carrying doesn't change in my intended activity for the day.
    But you said when you come across a "poisonous" snake you kill it. BTW they're venomous not poisonous. Why kill any snake just ride on by.

mtbr member

So you only use it if the snake attacks you?

I have only had a snake have a go at me one time - fortunately it missed, but even if it hadnt I dont think me shooting it would have helped the situation.

western NC
    But you said when you come across a "poisonous" snake you kill it. BTW they're venomous not poisonous. Why kill any snake just ride on by.

Nope, I said I carry for that reason. But I never mentioned the word kill at all. I never even stated that I've killed anything, ever. I carry it just in case, and I'm happy that I've never needed it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Damn... dripping with sarcasm and yet....

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    So you only use it if the snake attacks you?

I have only had a snake have a go at me one time - fortunately it missed, but even if it hadnt I dont think me shooting it would have helped the situation.
    And even then a snake "attacks" strikes just 3/4 of their body length. It's a wide open world out there I think one can avoid coming within 3-4' of one. It's not like they're going to chase you down like a grizzley bear.

Nope, I said I carry for that reason. But I never mentioned the word kill at all. I never even stated that I've killed anything, ever. I carry it just in case, and I'm happy that I've never needed it.
    So this doesn't imply that you kill snakes.

western NC
    I was simply making a point. The point being that many in this thread are jumping to conclusions, making assumptions and blowing things way out of proportion. It seems as if some of you think just because someone holds a CCW that we leave the house every day strapped like it's still the wild wild west. Just because I leave for a ride and I'm carrying doesn't mean that my goal for the day has shifted from enjoying my ride, to killing. No different than just because I take the tools to fix flats on that same ride, doesn't mean I'm going to run around the trails all day looking for flats to fix.

Like I stated, it's just in case, and I already stated that I've yet to kill anything to answer the snake question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    FWIW, I've never felt a "need" to carry concealed while mtn biking. In fact I've never felt the "need" to carry a gun anywhere. If I'm going somewhere there is a "need" for me to be armed, then I'm not going there!
    There's an old joke :
    "If you knew you were going to a gunfight, what gun would you take?" answer: "If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I wouldn't go!"

I'll add, I rarely carry mtn biking because I'm usually with someone. I feel the greatest threat to my overall health, and my life out there, is a crash into a tree or rock. That's not to say I don't ever carry. When road biking? Always.

For those who have raised the question, you may be surprised how quickly a concealed carrier can get their weapon out and on target. And using a bike as a weapon against knife attack? LOL, pity the fool that shows up to a gunfight with a knife!

My last word on the subject and all kidding aside:

If you are afraid of guns, you shouldn't carry.
    If you don't feel confident handling a gun, you shouldn't carry.
    If you haven't trained with your gun and regularly practice with it, you shouldn't carry.
    If you don't know the laws concerning the use of deadly force, you shouldn't carry.
    If you don't know basic firearm safety or are unable to control and secure your weapon, you shouldn't carry.
    If you have anger issues or are easily offended, you probably shouldn't carry.
    If you feel carrying a weapon suddenly empowers you in some way, you shouldn't carry.
    If you are not willing to swallow your pride, apologize, kiss butt, walk away or do anything necessary to avoid a confrontation including running, you probably should not carry.
    Carrying a weapon carries with it a MONUMENTAL responsibility. If you do not understand and accept that responsibility, you shouldn't carry.

And here's the biggie,

If you feel you are not willing or able to take another human being's life to save your own life, or the life of a loved one, or even someone you don't know who's life is threatened, you shouldn't carry. Once you have a permit, the law allows you to carry the force necessary to kill a fellow human being.
    That is a very sobering thought and one I personally struggled with and had to settle in my mind and soul before I decided to carry.

I believe this applies MOST strongly to those who DO have a CCW permit. For those who don't but are considering one, you need to consider this.

For those who like to practice smart-assery here and on the trails, perhaps keep in mind, there are those who are carrying out there, mtn bikers, hikers, equestrians, backpackers, little ole ladies, and we should all be polite to one another!

These two are carrying should we keep our cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a CCW permit?-image.jpg  

High Desert MTBer
    These two are carrying should we keep our cool.
    DJ, they're obviously being trained to kill snakes... but only 'poisonous' ones...
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    dj, they're obviously being trained to kill snakes... But only 'poisonous' ones...
    grrrrrrrrrr... woof,woof.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Aren't you going to feel stupid if something does happen to you or yours and your guns are safe at home in your gun vault? I wonder how many dead people that has happened to?
    I'd say very, very few. So few that the odds of encountering a situation where a firearm would save you from harm are in the .00 percent range. I'd guess the odds are much greater of you accidentally shooting yourself or someone else. I'm 30+ years of mountain biking, hiking, climbing, paddling, and general outdoor recreation I've never encountered another person or an animal that I felt threatened by. I suppose it could happen, but so could a lot of things that are such low risk that IMO it would be silly to worry about them.

That said, if carrying a gun around eases your paranoia and makes you feel more manly then I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

mtbr member
    No offense, but that's a pretty naive reason. I worked around cottonmouths quite a bit when I was doing wetland work in the southeast U.S. often seeing several in a day. I stepped near them and even right over one and never had an issue. I have also encountered several rattlesnakes and copperheads over the years at close range. Strikes do happen, but if they are going to tag you it will be too late to prepare to shoot unless you are being stupidly curious and getting closer than you should. If you have time to draw and shoot, you have time to move away. It's best just to practice avoidance, they are not going to chase you down.

I own firearms for hunting, target shooting, and home protection and don't really care if someone wants to carry but do think it's overly paranoid. I like the bear spray suggestion better, and do occasionally carry that when riding where a bear encounter might occur.

mtbr member
    As someone earlier in the thread commented, I ride my bike to feel like a 6 year old. There is no way I would feel comfortable, or even safe, riding my bike with gun. I've never owned a gun, and mostly likely will never own a gun. So far, I've managed to avoid situations that would benefit from having one. That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means that the odds are pretty slim riding in the hills around north bay area. I'm in much more danger driving my car. And I bet most everyone else is as well, gun or not.

Elitest thrill junkie
    For those who laughingly point out that since nothing bad has ever happened to you this is indication those who carry are silly...
    This is EXACTLY why I have a fire extinguisher.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Has anyone ever been mugged by a snake?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have also encountered several rattlesnakes and copperheads over the years at close range. Strikes do happen, but if they are going to tag you it will be too late to prepare to shoot unless you are being stupidly curious and getting closer than you should. If you have time to draw and shoot, you have time to move away. It's best just to practice avoidance, they are not going to chase you down.
    It depends, if they see your wallet and driver's license, they may figure out where you live, etc...

mtbr member
    It depends, if they see your wallet and driver's license, they may figure out where you live, etc...
    Hide the rootbeer!

Tom T. Hall - Sneaky Snake - YouTube

Flappity flappity flap
    Has anyone ever been mugged by a snake?
    The snake is just a product of it's environment, you can't blame the snake.

Retro on Steroids
    I haven't felt like shooting anybody since I got out of the Army in 1968. Haven't pulled a trigger since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You may need CCW permit for boondocks riding for riding long miles and hours. All the best!

High Desert MTBer
    Every time these threads come around, we all seem to spout the same old tired stuff that just perpetuates this BS subject. Let me try and tell it like I see it:

You people that want to carry a firearm while riding your bicycle are fu*king insane. There is simply no sense to it.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The CCW at the very least ensures that you are abiding by the law while carrying. Which firearm and how you carry it is up to you and your personal preference. A lot of people do carry and most that I have become aware of seem to use a hydration pack and carry it there. If you choose to carry anything larger than a sidearm, you may have to invoke some creativity on how to conceal and long rifle.

mtbr member
    The more laughable position in my opinion is that carrying a firearm on a bike would likely stop anything bad from happening to you. Whether it is snakes or armed robbers or threatening homeless people or whatever, I guess, I just don't see how it would ever come in handy in any situation I am going to encounter on a bike where I ride.

To the person who asked if I would feel stupid if something happened and my gun was at home in my safe, no, not really. I would not blame myself for the bad acts of another person.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    You people that want to carry a firearm while riding your bicycle are fu*king insane. There is simply no sense to it.
    Yeah, but where is the fun in breaking it down so simply?
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Food for thought...

LiveLeak.com - Attempted robbery at gunpoint caught on cyclist's GoPro!

I personally don't carry a gun while riding, but I do have a small knife. Hard to say what you'd do with a gun in your face, I'd like to think I'd take the knife out from under my belt and ram it under his chin a few times in about .5 second. But who knows...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What I find funny are the folks who use their real name, list their hometown, post pics of their family, admit to having guns, list a few thousand dollars of bikes, post pics of their vehicle,,,, and then say I am crazy for CCW.

banned
    Apr 2010
    all this fire extinquisher talk is funny. I actually had to use one the other day. At work i looked out and saw a car on fire. I grabbed the fire extinquisher and put the fire out. Ironically they are all over the store i work at. I saw the fire, turned my head and there was a fire extinquisher and went and put the fire out. Having the right tools for the job at hand can be very useful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryElf View Post
    As someone earlier in the thread commented, I ride my bike to feel like a 6 year old. There is no way I would feel comfortable, or even safe, riding my bike with gun. I've never owned a gun, and mostly likely will never own a gun. So far, I've managed to avoid situations that would benefit from having one. That doesn't mean it won't happen, it just means that the odds are pretty slim riding in the hills around north bay area. I'm in much more danger driving my car. And I bet most everyone else is as well, gun or not.
    That's just your lack of training. I am completely comfortable open carrying my .40 FNX40 in a shoulder holster when I am out in Themiddleofnowhere, Louisiana. It is completely safe and there is no possible way it's going to go off unless I chamber a round and pull the trigger, something I have not had to do on the trail ever.

Besides, it's a different world out here. We do have a lot of feral hogs and they can get aggressive. It's best to back off and leave them alone but if they get it in their head to attack there's no dissuading them.

We also have a lot of crazy people. Psychotic, really, and some of them live in "hobo camps" in the woods. Again, best to back off and leave them alone but they aren't that crazy and a little visible deterrence probably goes a long way towards keeping everyone civil.

I also ride on some of the multi-use trails that are a little "sketchy" as they are frequented by the meth heads and their like. I don't expect trouble when I go but they are very nice trails and why should I cede the trail by avoiding situations that would benefit me from having a gun?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    The more laughable position in my opinion is that carrying a firearm on a bike would likely stop anything bad from happening to you.
    You're right that is laughable... but then, no one made that point.

7 pages on this thread and not one person has said that "carrying a firearm on a bike would likely stop anything bad from happening to you". In fact, I can't see that it has even been insinuated. YMMV

mtbr member
    "I don't expect trouble when I go but they are very nice trails and why should I cede the trail by avoiding situations that would benefit me from having a gun?"

Because the trail isn't worth it. We are not talking about defending your home from invasion, we are talking about a fire road or single track in a public area and the act of riding a bicycle on it. Its not worth the risk to others or yourself bringing a gun into that situation. Of course, its only my opinion, but I think you should cede the trail if you think you need to carry a gun in order to ride a bicycle on it. I can find other trails, or I can give up mountain biking and take up golf. If I feel that my leisure activity requires bringing a gun, then its no longer a leisure activity. I'm not sure what it is, but its not a leisure activity.

Should there be guns and accessories at Interbike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Should there be guns and accessories at Interbike?
    Yes I think there should be.
    Where was Mt biking 30 yrs ago?
    Guns and accessories will either be at bike shows, or bikes will be at gun shows.

High Desert MTBer
    Yes I think there should be.
    Guns and accessories will either be at bike shows, or bikes will be at gun shows.
    ...I rest my case...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    "Yes I think there should be.
    Guns and accessories will either be at bike shows, or bikes will be at gun shows."

Is the addition of guns to cycling progress?

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most of the gun sites I visit have threads and articles about carrying while cycling. But it's not mtber's worried about wild animals - it's mostly roadies who ride thru bad neighborhoods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    [QUOTE=AngryElf;11458103
    Is the addition of guns to cycling progress?[/QUOTE]

I believe progress can be claimed due to different avenues of accessories and MAYBE even different bike styles.
    I like and do carry, you however may not. If I am carrying concealed you will likely never know.

On another note somebody above, somewhere posted something about dog attack and 3 seconds not being enough time to draw. I will concede that is probably true, but are we (all of us) to lay there until the dog decides to quit attacking?

mtbr member
    Pretty sure there are way more people carrying guns then there are people being attacked by dogs. Obviously it is working.

I believe progress can be claimed due to different avenues of accessories and MAYBE even different bike styles.
    I like and do carry, you however may not. If I am carrying concealed you will likely never know.

On another note somebody above, somewhere posted something about dog attack and 3 seconds not being enough time to draw. I will concede that is probably true, but are we (all of us) to lay there until the dog decides to quit attacking?

mtbr member

So if someone is sitting in a movie theater, or walking across the street from a elementary school or perhaps downtown by a hair salon would they be f*cking insane or have no sense too?

Point is you never know when a nutjobs is around.

mtbr member
    So if someone is sitting in a movie theater, or walking across the street from a elementary school or perhaps downtown by a hair salon would they be f*cking insane or have no sense too?
    You are getting warm........

"Yes I think there should be.
    Guns and accessories will either be at bike shows, or bikes will be at gun shows."

Is the addition of guns to cycling progress?
    '80s Anti-Drug Commercial - Your Brain On Drugs

Pipe Dreamer
    I might start carrying, for those who still insist on riding with ear buds, popping off a few rounds should get their attention!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Elitest thrill junkie
    all this fire extinquisher talk is funny. I actually had to use one the other day. At work i looked out and saw a car on fire. I grabbed the fire extinquisher and put the fire out. Ironically they are all over the store i work at. I saw the fire, turned my head and there was a fire extinquisher and went and put the fire out. Having the right tools for the job at hand can be very useful.
    You should have sprayed it with rounds from your glock.

Climbs = necessary evil

I concealed carry when night riding for coyotes, black bears and mtn lions. I'd only use it if attacked and would hope I could get to it in time. It has easy Velcro access but is still very secure. I ride by myself a lot in the winter and there are very few people on the trail then, but lots of wildlife.

If the OP or anyone else is interested in my set up, pm me.

mtbr member
    I conceal carry everyday, never done it while cycling though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Don't threaten harm to me or anyone around me and there will be no reason for you to ever find out whether I concealed carry or not.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had a couple tense situations on the trail over the years that I would've felt better about if I had a little something to back me up. Luckily, they never escalated quite to the point of violence, but they easily may have. If I were female and rode alone, I'd almost definitely carry. There are some shady characters out there, and some of them definitely make their way into the woods.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Perpetual n00b

How else are you supposed to let everyone know how morally superior you are?
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

I didn't do it
    I've had a couple tense situations on the trail over the years that I would've felt better about if I had a little something to back me up. Luckily, they never escalated quite to the point of violence, but they easily may have.
    Details please.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Details please.
    Why? So a bunch of people that weren't there can Monday morning QB everything and twist it up to fit their personal agendas?

Sorry, but total waste of time and will only end up annoying me. Suffice to say, I never would've needed to draw, but I would've felt better knowing I could've if it had come to it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

banned
    Apr 2010
    You should have sprayed it with rounds from your glock.

why would i shoot a fire with a gun i don't own, when the fire extinguisher actually put out the fire in the car?

I didn't do it
    Why? So a bunch of people that weren't there can Monday morning QB everything and twist it up to fit their personal agendas?

Sorry, but total waste of time and will only end up annoying me. Suffice to say, I never would've needed to draw, but I would've felt better knowing I could've if it had come to it.
    Nonetheless, I'm happy you survived your encounters with the bad people out there in the wild.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nonetheless, I'm happy you survived your encounters with the bad people out there in the wild.
    I appreciate your insincerity. It's cute.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Big Mac

As are your insecurities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As are your insecurities.
    Cuz you can tell so much from where you sit, right d-bag?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

****** to the dirt
    Anyone have a CCW permit?-explode1.jpg

here we go
    My Blog

I didn't do it
    You have me all wrong. You mentioned that on more than one occasion you found yourself in a sticky situation where you preferred to have a little something extra. So how did you do it? How did you get out of there without the benefit of a firearm? As a public service you should share your experiences.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Big Mac

Cuz you can tell so much from where you sit, right d-bag?
    Yes. If it quacks like a duck...

mtbr member
    How did you get out of there without the benefit of a firearm? As a public service you should share your experiences.

Why is it people seems to think the first thing a firearm owner/carrier wants to do is pull it out and start shooting?!?!
    I am not saying you in particular believe that, but I believe it is a very common thought process among hoplophobes.

A firearm is a last resort, and only a last resort. If the people you are dealing with are at all reasonable, any situation will never get to that point.

That said, every situation is different, every scenario is different, and every single person you encounter is different. Giving examples of "what to do" may cost someone their life, because they second guess their thought process at the moment.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    In the words of Mr. Spock... "Fascinating!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Why is it people seems to think the first thing a firearm owner/carrier wants to do is pull it out and start shooting?!?!
    I am not saying you in particular believe that, but I believe it is a very common thought process among hoplophobes.

A firearm is a last resort, and only a last resort. If the people you are dealing with are at all reasonable, any situation will never get to that point.

That said, every situation is different, every scenario is different, and every single person you encounter is different. Giving examples of "what to do" may cost someone their life, because they second guess their thought process at the moment.

I agree.

I have never talked with a CCW that wanted to have to use their firearm.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's what we learn from nearly day 1, playing cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians. Reinforced by die hard and vigilante movies. I think guys are fascinated by guns and "hero" situations.

Flappity flappity flap
    Threads like this are a big part of it, where a number of people explain how safe they are because of their ability to pull out a gun and start shooting.

Of course, as a disclaimer, I don't assume everyone on the internet is an idiot, even though most 'comments' it contains strongly imply it.

Some very insecure and sensitive types in here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Threads like this are a big part of it, where a number of people explain how safe they are because of their ability to pull out a gun and start shooting.

Total BS. Nobody on this thread has said that, that is, except the anti's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How come most the pro-CCW arguers joined mtbr in August of this year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast