Anyone else out there parenting a teenager? Just a post about parenting woes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Anyone else out there parenting a teenager? Just a post about parenting woes

I know a lot of people use this forum to escape our daily humdrums, but parenting a teenager is exhausting. And for whatever reason, I feel the need to share. Those with teens will understand.

Anyway, I have a question for you parents.

I found out by accident (the kid was on the phone and didn't how loud he was talking) that my kid (now 17) has used an essay service. I haven't told his dad yet because I'm hoping to have a bit of a one-on-one chat with him about it. I did my research and found it it was this site: http://one-hour-essay.essayshark.com...ing-essay.html

Is this a thing now that high schoolers are using? What do you tell your kids? He's a good kid, has good friends, never been in trouble, gets above average grades. I know when I was in college there were ways to get stuff like this, but I never actually thought a high school kid might think he or she needs to use it. I just found out about this and if the kid knows any better, he better be telling me everything before word gets back to his father.

Exhausting I'm telling you.

Rabid Lana Fan
    So he's found a way to make other people's work make himself look good?

Sounds like he may have a bright career in management ahead of him!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    good kid, good grades, good friends, never been in trouble so...just this one thing? you're lucky.

mtbr member
    There are many sights out there now like this. Typically the teacher will know, via style, that it's not your kid's work.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

High Desert MTBer
    Why not tell him you overheard and ask him about it? From my experiences as a parent, (my kids are in their 30s now), the worst thing you can do is not communicate honestly, without judgment.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    There are many sights out there now like this. Typically the teacher will know, via style, that it's not your kid's work.
    true. my kiddo's in jr high and they all know these type of sites as well

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If the worst your kid is doing is using online essays, be grateful. If that's the worst my son is up to when he becomes a teen, I'll be skipping for joy. This essay stuff is so easy for kids to find on the Net that most of them don't really think it's wrong. Many of them don't even understand they are plagiarizing because they'll change some words. By the sounds of it, you think your kid already knows better. You could hope the teacher figures it out. Turn your kid in to the teacher. Or handle it at home and make your kid write a real paper.

If your kid wants to go to college--even if he doesn't--it might be a good time to talk about intellectual dishonesty, plagiarism, and how it can get him kicked out of school. I'm sure there are youtube videos. Lastly, I've taught some, and until students learn how to use sources properly, with citations, they are prone to this behavior. Once a student gets through a college level Composition class, they are less apt to do this. Unless they are majoring in management, of course.

EMBA Member
    At my son's high school, the students are required to submit written work to an online site, which completes a plagiarism check on every document, and passes the students work along with a report on to the teacher. From what I've been told, the site doesn't actually state that plagiarism has occurred. It provides links to the teacher so they can compare what the student turned in to some other written work out there, and the teacher can decide. Some of it has to do with the student learning how to properly cite sources, but some is plain ol cheating.

mtbr member
    Some schools use http://turnitin.com/ to check for plagiarism. Learning from mistakes is important. Having said that, cheating isn't acceptable. Have a talk with your kid. Willingly paying a price for one's mistake is a sign of character.
    '09 Giant Anthem X, 26er; '14 Lynskey Ridgeline-650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I used this type of service once in college because I was working 2 jobs and taking 6 classes and really just didn't have enough time. I did it mainly to protect my GPA because I needed a scholarship and didn't want to lose my chance because of time constraints. They used the online services at my school but they couldn't catch it because they were reworded for every order.

Anyways, i don't think that you have much to worry about if this is the worst he's doing. You should talk to him about the risks of shortcuts, especially when you're in high school. If you can write a kickass paper, it takes less effort to churn them out. But he can't be doing this for every paper he does it'll get extremely costly and he won't learn anything. I actually miss writing research papers, I learned a lot of useless but interesting information.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

banned
    Sep 2007
    The purpose of writing a paper is researching and learning. Taking the easy way out defeats the purpose of researching and writing the paper in the first place.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Rob View Post
    Anyway, I have a question for you parents.

I found out by accident ........
    ..... He's a good kid, has good friends, never been in trouble, gets above average grades.

Exhausting I'm telling you.
    "because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

I hope you're right.

Sitting here listening to 10 14 / 15 year old girls "carry on" out in my living room. I fell your pain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks all for the reply. I am pretty lucky actually. I know that me and my siblings were much worse to my parents. I suppose I was just taken aback that he used one. Well, we had a chat over the weekend and it was as I had suspected- he was feeling overwhelmed with everything and needed some additional assistance. He showed me the notes he typed up and sent them and that he had put real thought into the assignment, but just lacked the time to get it into words finished by the due date. Up to this point I have no reason not to believe him.

I listened and I even sympathized (internally) because I know I have felt the same. But I think he felt a bit guilty that he gave up and got outside help. I'm glad he told me and set the record straight.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004

Anyone else out there parenting a teenager? Just a post about parenting woes

FYI & maybe someone else posted this, but plagiarism is a one way ticket to getting kick out of college. In college as someone else mentioned, you are required to submit a paper to an online site 1st, that shows exactly what material is questionable along with the percentage of words considered plagiarized.

I'm sure high schools will be adopting something like this as well, but I'm sure the infraction is not as severe as in college.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    FYI & maybe someone else posted this, but plagiarism is a one way ticket to getting kick out of college. In college as someone else mentioned, you are required to submit a paper to an online site 1st, that shows exactly what material is questionable along with the percentage of words considered plagiarized.

I'm sure high schools will be adopting something like this as well, but I'm sure the infraction is not as severe as in college.
    At my son's high school, you get one warning, then on second offense, you lose all credit for the class, and have to start over.