Beer Me!

Anybody Not Into the Zombie Thing?

I guess I just don't get it. I will watch samurai / kung fu / shoot-em-up movies all day, but the recent zombie craze is becoming a little too much IMO. I don't like gratuitous gore, and zombie culture seems to have plenty of that. Zombie stuff is everywhere now! I saw an off-road jeep with "Zombie Kill Squad" painted on it. My buddy has a "Zombie edition" gun and ammo. Then there is stuff like the converted childrens bunny book made into a gore fest. Its becoming a little much.

I know I am not the majority here, but wondered if anyone else is over it.

For the zombie fans, no hate, may your brains be blessed and remain un-eaten.
    Last edited by Guerdonian; 06-05-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Suckin wind like a boss
    your inability to get "with it" will likely mean you are one of the first to donate your brains to the zombie foodbank.

we'll miss you when youre gone, can i have your bike?
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    your inability to get "with it" will likely mean you are one of the first to donate your brains to the zombie foodbank.

we'll miss you when youre gone, can i have your bike?
    I don't know if I am not "with it" I have enough zombie knowledge to survive. I have a machetti, a sword, lots of knives, axes, etc.. It also depends upon what "zombie" we are talking about, like a George Ramero "dead, dumb and hungry" or a modern "infected smart crazed human" that can climb stairs and run. I just don't LOVE zombie culture, its icky and gross.

If I turn into a zombie, yes you can have my bike Just put me out of my misery first.

Suckin wind like a boss
    awesome! your bike is sexy ill make sure to dispatch you swiftly

err on the safe side and assume they will all be fast zombies- that way the slow ones will be easy pickins
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

meow meow
    i could take it or leave it.

AZ
    banned
    Its tired, has jumped the shark.

~Disc~Golf~
    zombies, chuck norris, etc - all retarded
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Retired User
    It's not really my thing.

Bicycle Addict
    I think its better than those lame ass sparkling vampires.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

since 4/10/2009
    I like all sorts of scifi, monster, and post-apocalyptic movies. recent zombie flicks fit a lot of those categories.

I am intrigued by this Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer movie. no sparkly vampires there.

AZ
    banned
    Clue? WTF is a "sparkly vampire?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Clue? WTF is a "sparkly vampire?

It includes in part, the current crop of Santa Cruz fanbois.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ohand they aren't vampires. They sparkle, live in the forest, and don't kill people. Theyre f***in fairies....... Oh and the zombie thing is dumb. For the most part scientifically improbable most definitely over done.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evilazonic666 View Post
    For the most part scientifically improbable most definitely over done.
    as depicted in most movies, probably so. however, it is common in the natural world for parasites to alter their host's behavior to enable continuation of the parasite's life cycle.

and I think that because of the implausibility, zombie movies are not quite so scary except for getting a startle response. they just don't shake most people to the core anymore. create a scientifically-sound plausible zombie and you'll have a good, scary movie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Exactly my point. I think the whole I am legend concept, though far off, was sort of on the right track. Expound upon a similar origin for said beings and they'd have a pretty good movie.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evilazonic666 View Post
    Exactly my point. I think the whole I am legend concept, though far off, was sort of on the right track. Expound upon a similar origin for said beings and they'd have a pretty good movie.....
    sounds exactly like 28days later.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    sounds exactly like 28days later.
    that one is a fair bit more scary than most zombie movies, yes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am not in the least bit scared of a zombie apocalypse but, I think it is used as kind of a worst case scenario of shiz hitting the fan.

High Desert MTBer
    It is all dumb as f**k. BUT, when those 3 guys that got eaten wake up and start eating nurses, we should all worry.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I guess I just don't get it. I will watch samurai / kung fu / shoot-em-up movies all day, but the recent zombie craze is becoming a little too much IMO. I don't like gratuitous gore, and zombie culture seems to have plenty of that. Zombie stuff is everywhere now! I saw an off-road jeep with "Zombie Kill Squad" painted on it. My buddy has a "Zombie edition" gun and ammo. Then there is stuff like the converted childrens bunny book made into a gore fest. Its becoming a little much.

I know I am not the majority here, but wondered if anyone else is over it.

For the zombie fans, no hate, may your brains be blessed and remain un-eaten.
    "Zombie" is a nicer term us gun folks/preppers use instead of saying "people". It's become a marketing thing now, but it's less offensive to say, "If there was a major catastrophe, you ought to be prepared for the zombie horde." In reality, we are talking about groups of scavengers or gangs looking to take advantage of a situation.

It's tongue-in-cheek, and a lighter touch when discussing marauders or intruders.

As a zombie movie fan, the appeal is the fear of mindless hordes of attackers. Individual zombies by themselves are not scary and can easily be taken down. In hordes, it's frightening, and taps into our primal fear of being overtaken by a mass - just as scary as a school of sharks, a pack of wolves or any other animal that can overcome us, operating by a group think.

I think many are also intrigued by the undead - and how any of us can become one of the horde.

From a societal commentary viewpoint, I think we fear the loss of our individuality and becoming tied to a single drive. As I said in the zombie thread, by West African and Haitian beliefs, a zombie is a "slave" induced into slavery by use of drugs and sorcery. If you look at our modern society, most of us are, in a way, "zombies" - slaves by financial debt and driven by a a horde mentality of consumerism. We devour everything, and by doing so, we "infect" others. When the feeling of this "slavery" overcomes us, we use drugs to make us feel well again.

Watch the opening scene of "Shaun of the Dead" - very sneakily they make this commentary and I don't think a lot of people got it. In fact, if you watch the rest of the movie, you will notice these actors in this scene become zombies.

I'm not too into the gore of zombie movies, I think it's ridiculous and I have shut off zombie movies 5 min. in. I don't like CGI action/shoot 'em up movies without story. I am into the human struggle and social commentary that good zombie movies will touch upon - this is the nitty gritty of a hardcore zombie nerd.

since 4/10/2009
    that's good. very good. hey, is that "Karl Pilkington" of "An Idiot Abroad" fame?

meow meow
    ^^someone thinks about this a lot.

mtbr member
    Lemme see, a smoking hot sparkly babe that will never age, out ride me on a bike, has the cash and desire to buy me any bike I want, could run to the closest food joint and be back in like 30 seconds.....Yes please!

mtbr member
    actually, the thing i like about zombie movies isnt the hordes, the undeadness, or the danger. okay maybe the danger. but the thing thats interesting to me is the end of the world, last person(s) on earth scenarios. its the idea of all of civilization going out the window both culturally and in terms of population. the zombies are just the means for me. a clever way to add danger to an end of days situation.

its weird. we grow up learning how to fit into a society thats set before us. one we didnt ask for. but we participate in it, become part of it, and are thereby complicit in handing it off to the next generation. sometimes is fun to imagine the society we ve built just disintegrating. not just a fresh start, like colonizing a new land or planet. but trying to make do with an ad hoc mini-society of survivors, making it up while theyre trying to cope with a crazy threatening situation. i find that appealing entertainment. so its not really the zombies, and i could do without the gore.

i am, however, interested in philosophical zombies. but these have almost nothing to do with horror zombies or slave zombies, and i would be somewhat surprised if anybody else here had any interest in them or even knew what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    "Zombie" is a nicer term us gun folks/preppers use instead of saying "people". It's become a marketing thing now, but it's less offensive to say, "If there was a major catastrophe, you ought to be prepared for the zombie horde." In reality, we are talking about groups of scavengers or gangs looking to take advantage of a situation.

It's tongue-in-cheek, and a lighter touch when discussing marauders or intruders.

As a zombie movie fan, the appeal is the fear of mindless hordes of attackers. Individual zombies by themselves are not scary and can easily be taken down. In hordes, it's frightening, and taps into our primal fear of being overtaken by a mass - just as scary as a school of sharks, a pack of wolves or any other animal that can overcome us, operating by a group think.

I think many are also intrigued by the undead - and how any of us can become one of the horde.

From a societal commentary viewpoint, I think we fear the loss of our individuality and becoming tied to a single drive. As I said in the zombie thread, by West African and Haitian beliefs, a zombie is a "slave" induced into slavery by use of drugs and sorcery. If you look at our modern society, most of us are, in a way, "zombies" - slaves by financial debt and driven by a a horde mentality of consumerism. We devour everything, and by doing so, we "infect" others. When the feeling of this "slavery" overcomes us, we use drugs to make us feel well again.

Watch the opening scene of "Shaun of the Dead" - very sneakily they make this commentary and I don't think a lot of people got it. In fact, if you watch the rest of the movie, you will notice these actors in this scene become zombies.

I'm not too into the gore of zombie movies, I think it's ridiculous and I have shut off zombie movies 5 min. in. I don't like CGI action/shoot 'em up movies without story. I am into the human struggle and social commentary that good zombie movies will touch upon - this is the nitty gritty of a hardcore zombie nerd.

mtbr member
    I hear that in the zombie apocalypse the zombies will ride customized FS Jeep 28'ers.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    I think its better than those lame ass sparkling vampires.
    LOL @ "Vampire Vacation:"

'Vampire' graves may bring hordes to Bulgaria This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Beer Me!
    Side note: I now count 4 or 5 (if you count face eating) zombie related threads in OT at the moment.

AZ
    banned
    Moratorium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm not into at all. But I'll admit that I'm itching to shoot a few if they come after me.
    Last edited by SS Hack; 06-21-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0